that small start he has raised all his herd. For the past ten years he has sold on an average of one carload of cattle each year. In 1907 he sold one hundred and twenty-five head of full grown cattle and fifty-seven calves, these being mostly the offspring of his first cow.
May 4, 1883, Mr. Bergman married Hannah Sjoblom in Brooklyn, New York. Miss Sjoblom was a native of Sweden, coming to America the preceding year. She was the third daughter in a family of four girls. Her parents came to America in 1887 and both died on our subject's homestead here. Mr. and Mrs. Bergman are the parents of seven living children, namely: Edwin A., Eric D., Elmer O., Carl E., Clarence Grant, Mabel Florence and Jessie G., all living at home. Two sons. Eric D. and Elmer O., are teachers in the public schools of their county, and all are most interesting and intelligent children.
Mr. Bergman is a loyal Republican and takes a commendable interest in the affairs ,of his community.
H. D. Wolf occupies a foremost place among the energetic and prosperous farmers of Deuel county, where he owns a valuable estate. He has developed this farm by energetic labors supplemented by honest dealings, and is one of the highly esteemed men of his community. Mr. Wolf has passed through all the early Nebraska times, and is widely known through the western part of the state as having done much toward the upbuilding of the agricultural and commercial interests of the region.
Our subject was born in Germany on April 11th, 1849, making that his home until he was twenty-three years of age. He was the second member in a family of seven children, three of whom later came to America. His father and mother spent their entire lives on their native country, both now being deceased. He left Germany in 1872, coming directly to North Platte, Nebraska, after landing in this country, and lived in Lincoln county for one year, then went to Julesburg, Colorado, and was connected with the Union Pacific Railroad company there, also at North Platte, Ogallala and other points in the state, coming to what was then called Cheyenne county (now Deuel county), in the spring of 1878. He was in the employ of the Union Pacific Railway Company for about nine years, working as section foreman for the greater part of that time.
Mr. Wolf finally homesteaded on section 18, township 13, range 45, proved up on his claim, and has since removed to section 17, which is his present location. He has acquired a ranch containing two thousand seven hundred acres, and is engaged principally in the stock business, running three hundred head of cattle, and about sixty horses. He farms fifty acres, raising some grain, etc., and has large tracts of hayland and pasture for his stock. He has a complete set of substantial ranch buildings and improvements of all kinds. Mr. Wolf is classed among the oldest cattlemen in the western part of Nebraska, as there were but very few ranches started in the region when he located here. He is one of the genuine old-timers, and is numbered among the wealthy and progressive men of the locality. Mr. Wolf was married at North Platte in 1875, to Mary Erickson, who was born in Germany. and came to America about 1869. They have an interesting family of six children, named as follows: Edward C., married and living at Big Springs, Nebraska; Frank H., married, residing at the same place; Dora A. and Nettie I., both at home; Minnie, wife of Robert McGrave, living in Big Springs, and Ella M., now Mrs. F. H. Hendrickson, living at Chappell.
Our subject takes an active interest in local
affairs, and is a member of the school board in district No. 7. A
portrait of Mr. Wolf will be found on another page of this
Albro L. Hodge, one of the prominent early settlers in western Nebraska, is proprietor of an extensive farm in section 19, township 32, range 51, Dawes county, who has been an important factor in the development of the financial resources of his region and is widely and favorably known throughout that section. He is an active public-spirited citizen and his services to his county in many matters have been invaluable and of such a character as to be universally appreciated by all.
Mr. Hodge was born in Lee county, Illinois, in 1856, on a farm seventy-five miles from Chicago. He is of American blood, and his father, Andrew J. Hodge, was a farmer by occupation. When our subject was nine years of age the family moved to Shenandoah, Page county, Iowa, where they settled on a farm and lived there for eight years, he working at home, and afterwards ran a bus line for a time. He also was employed by the. American & Pacific Express Companies for five years, and ran on express routes from Burlington to Council Bluffs. In
the spring of 1887 he came to Dawes county, Nebraska, landing here on March 23d, and located forty miles south of Crawford, in Box Butte county, where he lived for two years proving up on a preemption. He built a sod house and went through pioneer experience, the country being but thinly settled and neighbors were few and far between. He next moved to a farm south of Glenn, Sioux county, on Deep creek, and remained on it for nine years, starting with no capital but his strong hands and willing heart, and succeeded in building up a good home and farm, which he sold at the end of that time for five thousand dollars. He engaged extensively in stock raising and mixed farming, and at one time had a whole township fenced. About 1901 he bought his present farm of three hundred and twenty acres in Dawes county, located in section 19, township 32, range 51, paying for the land one thousand dollars. and it is now worth many thousands. He has this rented out at present, and lives on his "Kincaid" in Sioux county. He has two hundred and ten acres irrigated and the place in A-1 shape, with good house, barns, granary, etc., all put up by himself as it was entirely unimproved property when he purchased it. He has been burned out twice, at one time losing his barn, and the other his house and furniture, and this was a serious set-back to him. He has had his share of pioneering, having opened up four different farms, and knows well the little discouragements that come to the settler in a new country, but has never given up, and his present prosperity is evidence of his determination and perseverance. Mr. Hodge now lives on his Kincaid homestead in Sioux county, two miles south of Glen postoffice, which he is improving rapidly with buildings; has a large saw mill on the place and quite a lot of fine timber. He has been active in local affairs in his community, and taken an active interest in politics, being an Independent voter.
In 1888 our subject was married to Miss Gertrude A. Miller, daughter of Benjamin H. and Lucy Paine Miller, who were old settlers in Dawes county, and who owned and operated a fine farm there for many years. Mr. and Mrs. Hodge are the parents of five children, who are named as follows: Addie, Russell, Hazel, Mynona and Grant. The family are highly esteemed in their community, and have a host of warm friends.
Among the highly respected and industrious residents of the city of McCook may be mentioned the name of H. E. Culbertson, master mechanic of the McCook Division of eight hundred miles of railway, from Hastings, Nebraska, to Denver, Colorado, comprising the Nebraska and Kansas branches, one of the longest on the system. Mr. Culbertson was appointed in September, 1906, and is a thoroughly capable official.
Mr. Culbertson is a native of Chicago, born in 1871. He is a son of Christian Culbertson, who came to the United States from Norway about the year 1865. He was raised in Chicago until about nine years ago, and came to Nebraska in 1881, the family locating at Hastings, Adams county. He was left an orphan at the age of six years and has made his own way in the world since he was nine years old, always having lived among strangers and never knowing the blessing of a parent's love from that tender age. He started in the railroad business in 1892. He began with the Burlington & Missouri railway, working as machinist helper, and from that obtained the position as night roundhouse foreman, following this for four years, then went to firing for the road. Next he was a locomotive engineer for five years between Hastings and Denver. He always took a deep interest in the work and devoted his entire attention to whatever he was engaged in doing, educating himself for better positions as he went along. He now holds the record as the youngest man in railway circles occupying the position of master mechanic. Every item in the way of mechanical operation is under the master mechanic's direction, and this includes engines of all kinds, --steam, gas, and electrical. For about two years he was road foreman of engines for the McCook division under R. B. Archibald, up to 1906, when he was appointed to his present position. He was general secretary for the B. L. E., of the C. B. & Q. Ry.'s entire system for the years 1905-6, and is a prominent member of the B. L. E. at this point. He is a young man of the right kind of ambition. full of his work and conscientious in its accomplishment. and one who when in one position studies diligently to fit himself for the next step which opportunity offers. Hence, with each of his rapid advancements he has filled the place with all his energy and industry, natural and acquired ability. He is ever of a pleasant and obliging disposition, which makes him popular with his superiors and beloved by those who are under him without any attempt on his part, for he is frank, just and straightforward in every action, looking every matter and man in the eye with courage and confidence which wins him every battle. He is a voting man who is in the eye and thoughts of those who are at the head of great concerns, and who recognize the right stuff when they see it.
© 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Marilyn J. Estrada, T&C Miller