of America. His recollections of early struggles in the west
are still vivid. During the period of hard times he supported his
family by chopping and hauling wood from the canyons. The early
Indian scares did not disturb them to a great extent, only one
night did they abandon their home, holding fort with neighbors at
Mr. Archer's, three miles east of their ranch. A view of the
family residence will be found elsewhere in this work.
Mr. Fowler was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, in 1860. His father, Preston Fowler, was a farmer of American stock, raised in New York state, and he died when our subject was five years old. He was the only child, and lived with his mother until he reached his fifteenth year, when he struck out for himself, working at anything he could find to do. He followed factory work in Illinois for two years, and in 1880 came west and landed in southeast Nebraska, where he remained until 1884, when he came to Sheridan county, settling on the place he now occupies, and has lived here continuously since that time. When he located on this farm all he had to start with was a team and some farming implements. He at once went to work, and by perseverance and industry has accumulated a nice property, comprising eight hundred acres of good farming land in section 13. township 33. range 43, of which about one hundred acres is highly cultivated. He has his farm well improved and runs about eighty to one hundred head of stock. During the dry years he suffered heavy losses in the destruction of his crops and was almost hack to where he started, but after the hard times had passed he was able to raise good crops, and has been very successful in his different ventures.
In 1884 Mr. Fowler was married to Miss C. Belle Gleason, a native of Wisconsin, born in 1860, of American stock. Mr. and Mrs. Fowler have a family of five children, named as follows: Ruby Elsie, Carrie Belle, Preston, Frank E. and George L., all born and raised on the present homestead. The family have a wide acquaintance and are highly respected by all who know them.
Mr. Fowler is an Independent in politics, and although he takes a keen interest in public affairs, both local and state, he has never held any office, as he has never had the time to devote to these matters. His whole attention is engaged in building up his farm and home, and everything bears evidence of thrift and good management in the operation of his estate. He is one of the old-timers of Sheridan county, and enjoys the confidence of his fellowmen.
Mr. Clapper is a native of Elk Horn, Wisconsin, born January 17, 1846. His father, Jacob Clapper, of German descent, was a tanner by trade during his early life and later a farmer. In a family of eight children our subject is the third member, being reared in the state of his birth, near the pineries, where he became familiar with life in the big woods. At the age of twenty-three years he emigrated to Kansas, where he took up a homestead in Republic county in the western part of the state.
At the end of three years he moved to Gage county, Nebraska, where he lived for several years at Blue Springs and Wymore, following his trade as a mason. In 1884 he moved to Blaine county, Nebraska, near Brewster, where he took a timber claim. There he put up a sod building and lived in it for ten years, working with oxteams for several years, being obliged to haul all his supplies for eighty miles, from North Loup, which was the nearest railroad point. During these trips he camped out at night under his wagon. At one time he drove one hundred and sixty miles with an ox team to get a gallon of kerosene. One of the children was sick and needed medicine at night, hence the long drive. Mr. Clapper had but twenty-five cents in cash at the time. Another time he was compelled to go for two or three weeks without flour, and again for several days had only a few potatoes to live on. Their nearest neighbor was twelve miles away, and it was weeks that he did not see anyone except his own family. These were hard times, and often did he regret having come here, but as the years grew better, and the country became more thickly settled times changed and he is now glad that he stuck to it, and is perfectly satisfied with conditions now. He moved to Brown county in 1894, settling on his present place. For seven years
he lived in a sod house, adding a comfortable frame dwelling and other buildings since, there being no improvements whatever when he took the place. His ranch comprises twenty-four hundred acres, including his sons' two sections. He is extensively engaged in stock raising, and keeps one hundred and twenty head on his place, besides running a large number for other people. He has good buildings now, conveniently arranged, and with good water, fruits and other comforts of rural life, enjoys his possessions to the full in the declining years of his life.
On another page of this volume will be found a picture of Mr. Clapper's property.
Mr. Clapper politically holds with the Republican party.
After putting in many hard years
the good times came on and he was able to get ahead, and he now
has a comfortable home and is proprietor of five hundred and
twenty acres of good land, two hundred acres of which is
cultivated, the balance being used for pasture land. There is a
good growth of natural timber on his place. He has good buildings,
a commodious barn and corn crib being built in 1908. The dwelling,
with its outbuildings, situated on section 27, are presented in an
engraving elsewhere in this work.
Mr. Carr is a man of active public spirit, popular with his associates and always foremost in any scheme which tends to the betterment of conditions in his locality. In 1900 he was elected county commissioner and served for three years. He is a member of the Populist party, and is prominent in political affairs.
Mr. Vosika was born in the village of Drahoy, Bohemia, November 5, 1866, and grew up in that country, where he received the usual education of the youths of his class. He came to
America in 1880, landing in New York, whence proceeded to Saline county, Nebraska. following farming seven years. In 1887 be came to Cheyenne county, and filed on a homestead on section 14, township 12, range 48, started a farm and remained for a number of years. proving up on the land and later sold it at a good profit. He afterwards bought a large ranch of one thousand one hundred and twenty acres in and adjoining section 18, township 13, range 46. and still owns this property, using it as a ranch, called the Hillside Stock Farm, and on this ranch he keeps a large number of cattle and horses. About two hundred acres are used for grain raising and the whole place is in first-class shape, with good buildings, fences, and well improved and splendidly equipped for raising stock on a large scale. Mr. Vosika has been very successful in his ventures, and still operates the ranch, although he, with his family, reside in Lodgepole for the advantage of good schools; they reside part of the year on the ranch.
Mr. Vosika was married at Sidney, on December 24, 1894, to Miss Mary Kutis, who was horn in Marshall county, Kansas, in 1873, her parents coming to Cheyenne county in 1887. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Vosika, named as follows: Mollie, Rosa, Mary, Josie, Annie and Kate, and are a bright and interesting group. Mr. Vosika's parents are at present residing in Gregory county, South Dakota, and his wife's parents live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Our subject is a representative citizen. and takes a commendable interest in local affairs. He is a loyal Democrat.
Mr. Andresen is a native of Flenshurg, Holstein, born in the year 1868, and came to this country when an infant with his parents, settling in Brooklyn, New York. In 1881 be came to York county, Nebraska, with his father, Christopher Andresen, who served in the Danish army during the war with Germany in 1864. and taken as a prisoner by the enemy. In 18-- (sic) his father sold his farm in York county and purchased three hundred and twenty acres of farming land in Divide township, Phelps county, paying $10,000, and which is now worth $20,000. In 1903 our subject went in for himself, buying one hundred and sixty acres located in section 18. Divide township, for which he gave $5,000, and this has doubled in value since then. He has lived on this property since that time and farmed with good success, raising excellent crops, his wheat running twenty-five, corn forty, and oats forty-five bushels per acre, all of which is of A1 quality. He keeps from fifty to one hundred hogs, twenty cattle, and about a dozen horses, and has his place well improved, with good substantial buildings, fences, etc.
Mr. Andresen was married to Miss Rosetta Georgiana Lucas, a native of McLean county, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Andresen have two children. Charles Edward, and an infant son, Clarence.
Mr. Andresen enjoys the confidence of his associates, and has held numerous positions of trust. He is at present secretary of the Farmers Elevator Company. located at Funk, Nebraska, with a capacity of twenty thousand. This elevator was built at a cost of $6,000. and the company has an authorized capital of $25,000. In political faith he is a Democrat.
Mr. Mettlen was born in Petersburg, Menard county. Illinois, in 1855. His father, B. C. Mettlen, was of German-American descent, a carpenter by trade. Our subject was reared in his native state, starting for himself in the grocery business at Minier, Illinois, in 1879, and remained there up to 1885, then came to Nebraska, locating seven miles west of Hemingford, in Box Butte county. There he took up a homestead, bought a team of mules and farmed for seven years, and also ran a store and was postmaster for two years at Lawn, in Box Butte county. He came to Sioux county in 1895. and went on the old "33 ranch", remaining for several years, locating on his present homestead in 1896. This is situated on the Niobrara river, is well supplied with pasture and hay land, and good water supply, etc. There are one thousand one hundred acres, in the place, and he has succeeded in improving it in first-class shape, putting up good buildings, fencing the entire ranch, and installing a fine system of irrigation. Mr. Mettlen is now in comfortable circumstances, has a pleasant home and lives in contentment, surround-
ed by all the comforts of our modern rural life. On October 18, 1887, Mr. Mettlen was united in marriage to Sadie Irion. Her father, John Irion, was an old settler in Box Butte county, where she grew up. Her mother was Susan Osborn, and her parents were also among the earliest settlers in this region. During the early residence of Mr. Irion and his family in Box Butte county, he was obliged to haul water a distance of seven miles for household purposes, and they went through every hardship and suffered many privations incident to pioneer life in the region. Mr. and Mrs. Mettlen are the parents of six children, named as follows: Blanche, now married, residing in Sioux county; Clark, Grace, Bessie. Floyd and Vera, the last mentioned now deceased.
Our subject is a Republican, has always been active in local affairs, in 1899 having been elected county commissioner, serving one term.
Mr. Moody was born in Rock Island county. Illinois, in 1850, on his parents' farm. His father, Wilson B. Moody, was also a native of Illinois, and followed farming all his life. Our subject grew up in his native state, attending the country schools and helping with the work of carrying on the farm, remaining in Illinois up to 1876, then he moved to Iowa, settling in Adair county, at first farming on rented land and later purchasing an eighty-acre farm, where he lived for a number of years. He then came to Dawes county, Nebraska, and located on his present farm, in section 32. township 34, range 52, the country here being then but very thinly settled and he was among the first to locate in this township. His first building was a board shanty, fourteen by twenty-four feet in size, having but one room, and he occupied this for quite a time.
He attempted to farm on this gumbo land, but it was a failure, so he gave it up and went to Iowa, where he spent one year. This was during the dry times throughout the section, and it was hard for anybody to make even a living on account of the loss of crops. etc., and Mr. Moody finally decided to go into the stock business, and picked up a few cattle and about one hundred and fifty sheep as a starter. He kept adding to his herd, and buying land, and now owns a ranch of two thousand acres, all deeded land, and his sons each own homesteads. Besides his ranch in Dawes county he owns four hundred acres in Custer county, and has plenty of good pasture for his stock, the farm also being well supplied with springs and running water. The ranch is all fenced, and he has put up good buildings and improvements, and devotes his entire time and attention to the stock business, raising both cattle and sheep, for which he finds a ready market at all times. This ranch extends along the Big Cottonwood creek, and is one of the valuable estates of the county.
At the age of twenty-one Mr. Moody was married to Miss Pauline Knapper, born and raised at Whiteside, Illinois, daughter of Gotleib Knapper, a farmer of German descent. Mr. and Mrs. Moody have a family of seven children, who are named as follows: William, Katie, Clara, Perry, Albert, Robert and Thomas.
Politically Mr. Moody is an Independent and takes an active interest in local and county affairs, serving as assessor for his district several terms.
Mr. Goudie is a native of Franklin county, Indiana, born in 1842. His father, James Goudie, was born in Pennsylvania, and his mother, who was Susannah Mathieson, was born in county Tipperary, Ireland, and came to America at the age of seven years. His grandfather, also James Goudie, was of Scotch extraction, and came to this country in the early days, via the north of Ireland. settling in
Pennsylvania. Our subject grew up in Indiana, and in May, 1861, he enlisted when only nineteen years old in the Twentieth Ohio Infantry, and served for three months, in September of the same year enlisting in the Thirty-seventh Indiana, serving with the Army of the Cumberland at Stone River, Murphysboro, and later in Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, Chickamauga, Dalton, Resaca, Atlanta and all battles of that campaign. On the march to the sea he was one of the guards that delivered C. L. Valandingham to General Bragg of the confederates. Our subject was one of those who took part in the grand review at Washington, and then re-enlisted as a veteran for three years. During his life as a soldier he was wounded three times, twice at Stone River, and once while delivering dispatches in Tennessee. After the war he settled in Champaign county, Illinois, remaining there up to 1878, then came to Nebraska, where he took a homestead and engaged in farming, following that work up to 1890, when he retired to the forty-acre farm on which he now lives. He has been on the school board, township board, and has served as assessor for several years. He is also a prominent member of the Grand Army of the Republic of Orleans, and a man whom all delight to honor. Politically he is a Republican.
Mr. Goudie was married in 1866 to Miss Rowena Schultz, of Franklin county, Indiana, and they have one son, Edgar, living in Stamford.
Mr. Taylor spent the earlier
years of his life in South Dakota, where he received his education
and assisted his father in his business. He completed his
education at the South Dakota University at Vermillion, after
which he taught school in South Dakota and Nebraska. In 1885 he
came to Box Butte county, Nebraska, driving from South Dakota with
a team and covered wagon, and located on section 24, township 28,
range 51, where his first building was a sod shanty. At this time
Hay Springs was his trading point. Through years of adversity and
prosperity he worked hard to make a home for himself, and by the
practice of thrift and economy he has acquired an estate of three
thousand seven hundred and twenty acres of land, and has many
acres of leased land extending to the Niobrara river, a small
portion of which he has under cultivation. His ranch is well
fenced and cross fenced, and he has erected a substantial and
commodious house together with other suitable buildings. There are
good wells and wind mills on his place. On another page will be
found an interesting picture showing a scene on Mr. Taylor's stock
In political matters Mr. Taylor adheres to Republican principles. He has always been prominently identified in educational matters here, where he has assisted materially in the organization and building of the schools, and where he now holds the office of school director. He was instrumental in the organization of the First State Bank of Hemingford, of which institution he holds the office of vice-president. His career is a striking illustration of persistence, pluck and energy, and shows what possibilities this great western country has opened to the thrifty and ambitious man.
Mr. Mevich was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin, October 3, 1860. He is a son of Peter and Mary Mevich. His father was a native of Germany and his mother of Ireland. When our subject was but a babe, the family moved to Bureau county, Illinois, where he was reared and educated, attending the public schools. In the spring of 1882 he left Illinois and went to Hamilton county, Iowa, where he engaged in farm work. He remained there until 1886, coming to Ogallala, Keith
county, Nebraska, in the spring of that year. He made a filing for a homestead on the northwest quarter of section 7, township 16, range 42, in what was then Cheyenne county, but which has since been divided and now forms a part of Deuel county. He proved up on his homestead and purchased adjoining property, and his farm now consists of six hundred and forty acres. The ranch is located on the Blue creek, and is well equipped with good improvements. Mr. Mevich engages quite extensively in stock raising and runs about two hundred head. He is especially interested in the raising of hogs, of which he has a fine herd, some of his animals having taken several prizes. For three years he has taken first prizes at the Denver stock show. Our subject is well and favorably known throughout the vicinity as an agriculturist and stock raiser of ability. He has had his share of pioneer experiences, going through the hardships of those early days with a spirit of enthusiasm which has won for him one of the finest ranches to he found anywhere.
Mr. Mevich was married to Miss Grace White, March 31, 1890, at Hutchinson, Deuel county. She is a native of Minnesota, and a daughter of Wellington and Mary (Langton) White, who came to Deuel county in 1886. Her parents are both living and reside at Lewellen, Nebraska. The father of Mr. Mevich died about 1876, when our subject was a mere boy. His mother is still living, and resides in Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Mevich are the parents of two children, Ruth and Charlotte, both of whom live at home with their parents.
Mr. Mevich is a Republican in politics. He has always taken an active interest in all affairs pertaining to the welfare of western Nebraska. He has spent his time on his farm and ranch, and leases two hundred acres of irrigated land, and on this raises the best of alfalfa.
Mr. Westover was horn in Delaware county, Iowa, in June, 1863. His father, A. H. Westover, was a farmer by occupation, of Dutch stock from Pennsylvania, his father being of Pennsylvania Dutch blood, and his mother of Scotch-Irish. Our subject's mother was, prior to her marriage. Miss Ann Bella, a native of Ireland, of pure Scotch-Irish blood. The family settled in Iowa as pioneers and lived there up to 1870, then came to Nebraska, traveling by team to their new home in this state, camping out along the way and suffering from exposure during rough weather on the trip. Upon arriving in Nebraska they settled near Lincoln, in Lancaster county, and there went through the usual pioneer experiences, but remained there until our subject was seventeen years of age. He then left home and went into Colorado, locating near Greeley, where he worked as a cowboy and followed ranching for one year in that vicinity. He came back to Nebraska and settled at Lincoln, but only spent a couple of years there, then drifted into South Dakota and railroaded there during one summer. He next located in David City, Nebraska, for one year, starting in the horse business, working there for two years as a "broncho buster." Mr. Westover next move was to Albion, Boone county, Nebraska, and there he was elected town marshal and served for three months. He went to Laramie City, Wyoming, from Albion, and worked on a cattle ranch for fourteen months, then came to Grant county, Nebraska, arriving there in the fall of 1887, where his wife was the first white woman to settle, and their's the first house ever built in that section that had a floor in it. They came into Grant county by team, driving, from Laramie City, and also brought a bunch of horses with them. They lived for a time in Cherry county and, after filing on a homestead, went through hard times during a number of years, experiencing their worst times in 1892, when they had the misfortune to lose a large bunch of cattle on account of severe storms which swept that region. Mr. Westover lived in the latter vicinity three years, then moved to his present location and began in the ranching business. His place now consists of one thousand one hundred acres, all fenced and improved with good buildings, etc. He has a valuable estate, and keeps a bunch of five hundred cattle and seventy-five horses, handling almost exclusively the Hereford and Durham breed of cattle and heavy draft horses.
Our subject was married in 1884 to Miss Lizzie Christman, daughter of Philip Christman, a pioneer in Boone county, Nebraska. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Westover, namely: Harry, Alta, Mabel, and