Lena, the youngest, now nine years of age. The family occupy a nice residence in Hyannis during the school session, in order to give the children better educational advantages. Mr. Westover is a Bryan Democrat.
Thomas C. Morrison is the only son of his parents, Thomas and Margaret (Corrin) Morrison, and from the time he was twelve years old has made his own way in the world. His father was a miner, and when the son shifted for himself he crossed the ocean, finding employment for about a year in the Pennsylvania mines; then he journeyed west to Illinois, Rock Island county, where he spent the next seven or eight years in various coal mines of that region, becoming master of every detail of the business.
In the spring of 1880 Mr. Morrison was married to Miss Maggie Atkinson, a daughter of Thomas Atkinson. English born and bred, and a successful farmer of Clinton county, Iowa. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Morrison made their home in that county for about a year while the husband was engaged at the coal chutes of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railway. He farmed for the ensuing two years, and then moved to the western part of Iowa, where he occupied a farm two years in Ida county. and for the same period in Woodbury county.
In 1890 Mr. Morrison came to Nebraska and secured a home in Rock county, pre-empting at first in section 5, township 32. range 18, on which, however, he very soon filed homestead papers, proving up in due season and securing for himself and family one of the choicest farming tracts in the county. It consists of four hundred and eighty acres fronting the Niobrara river, and presents many charming scenes as the river sweeps along its way. Especially as a stock and cattle ranch does it afford possibilities which are already being realized in this region.
Mr. Morrison is broad minded and progressive in his agricultural ambitions, and has put down one of the best wells in the county, a notable improvement when one considers a drouthy past. He has planted fruit trees adapted to the soil and climate as well as a variety of small fruit. He has planted a grove which is doing well, and which is liberally supplemented by a native growth of timber, luxuriantly flourishing since the old devastating prairie fires have ceased. He engages in grain and stock farming and is building up very extensive dairy interests, which have already become very promising. In 1894 he faced his worst year, when the crops were largely destroyed by heat and the dry weather, but in the main he feels that he, has been exceptionally fortunate since his establishment in Rock county, and takes a justifiable pride in the results that crown his labors, "of which the end is not yet." In political views he is a Prohibitionist, and is a member of the Kirkwood Methodist church.
Mr. Teeters was born in Steuben county, Indiana, 1862. and is a brother of Wilson J. and Willis J. Teeters, whose sketches appear in this volume. They are of old American stock, the father having been a farmer in their native county in Indiana, and later an early settler in the eastern part of Nebraska.
At the age of about twenty-two, our subject started out for himself. He had received a common school education, and was familiar with all the work of carrying on a farm. His parents moved to Monona county, Iowa, when he was a lad of fifteen years, residing there for two years, then came to Nebraska, locating in Burt county in 1880. He farmed in that section of the country, up to 1896, then moved to Cherry county, and in March, 1897, took up a homestead in sections 2 and 3, township 29, range 34, proving up on it, and in 1904 acquired four hundred and eighty acres additional under the Kincaid law in section 9. He lived in a sod house for a time, building a neat frame house in 1907. In 1904 he moved to his present location in section 9. which he has improved with good buildings, well, fences, etc. He is engaged exclusively in
stock raising, and is recognized as one of the prosperous and successful ranchmen in this vicinity. He is associated in this and other enterprises with his brothers, Wilson J., Willis J. and Morris L., whose combined holdings exceed five thousand two hundred acres.
Mr. Teeters' home ranch contains eight hundred acres, and he runs from seventy to eighty head of cattle the year round.
Mr. Buckminster was born in New
Hampshire October 29, 1849, and came to Council Bluffs, Iowa (then
called Kingsville), when only a year old. His parents, Lenox and
Maria (Waldo) Buckminster, were both of American stock. They
settled near Council Bluffs, where our subject was reared and
educated, being the younger of two children, and the only one now
living. When but nine years old he began to support himself, doing
all kinds of work. During his boyhood years he was employed
driving team, freighting, and on railroad construction, within
eighty-five miles of his father's home, and for the period of
twelve years never once saw him. He made his first trip across
Nebraska in 1863, and in later years was freighting and working on
railroads, still considering Council Bluffs his home. In 1884 he
settled ten miles south of Gordon, and engaged in farming,
remaining here for six years, then moved on the Snake river, where
he lived for eight years, engaged in the stock business. At the
end of this time he moved to his present farm, and at once went to
work establishing his home, engaging in the stock business and
mixed farming, and has been very successful in raising excellent
crops. He is located on what is called Missouri Flat, in section
25. township 33, range 37, where he owns one thousand two hundred
and eighty acres of farming land, including two hundred acres of
Kincaid homestead. His ranch will support two hundred head of
cattle and a number of horses, as well as being well adapted to
mixed farming. He has seen his share of the ups and downs of the
state along with the rest of the old timers. He has a complete set
of substantial farm buildings and a good supply of farm machinery
for carrying on a well conducted farm. A view of the residence is
to be found on another page in this work.
Mr. Buckminster thinks that Nebraska is the place for a poor man to come, and the success which he has attained is evidence that if a man goes to work with a will and determines to succeed, everything will come to him. He came here with practically no capital and has gained a valuable property, pleasant home, and has the respect and esteem of his fellowmen. Politically he is a Democrat, but is not a radical, always voting for the best man on the ticket. During the Indian uprising he did not, like many, flee the country, but held down his place.
Mr. Cramer, the third in a family of eleven children, was born in Knox county, Ohio, October 29, 1839. His father, Levi Cramer, was American born, of German ancestry, and one of the pioneers of western Ohio, dying shortly after moving to Nebraska, in 1884. His wife was Miss Rebecca Phillips, a native of Maryland, daughter of William and Folly (Walker) Phillips. Charles W. Cramer began hard farm work at an early age, being but fifteen when he first swung a cradle in his father's grain fields, and from this time on he made his own way besides helping to support his father's family. He lived with his parents at home until 1861, when he was married to Miss Phoebe Gaskill, daughter of Josiah and Catherine (Van de Vere) Gaskill, the former a farmer, of American stock. Three children have blessed this union, as follows: Melissa A., wife of E. D. Mason, living at St. Joe, Missouri, the mother of two sons; Harrison M., residing in Valentine, father of four children, and Thomas W., also married, who is a farmer, having four hundred and eighty acres lying in sections 7, 8 and 18, township 34, range 28, of Cherry county. While still in Ohio our subject had a small farm, on which he made his home until 1878, then went to Butler county, Nebraska, where he remained for three years, buying a forty-acre farm, which he sold, moving soon after to Knox county, in 1881, and took a homestead, remaining here for twelve years, living for a
time in a dugout, twelve by ten feet in size. He drove into Knox county with ox teams and covered wagon. Hard times followed, brought on by grasshopper raids, drouths and all the privations usual to the pioneers of that time. In 1893 he traded his homestead for a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in section 18, township 34, range 28, Cherry county. This farm had no improvements, but Mr. Cramer at once built a house, barn and fences, and now has under cultivation ninety acres, also a finely growing young orchard. July 4, 1894, he had the finest prospect of a corn crop one could wish for, but hot winds sprang up and in the short space of six days a match would have burned the field up. It was with losses such as these that he had to contend. Mr. Cramer is one of those who has helped to make the history of Cherry county. Has held office at different times, serving a term as assessor, and since 1893 as school treasurer in his district. He is proud of the fact that his district is entirely out of debt. He has always been active in religious work, and when first settling in the county was superintendent of two Sabbath schools for four years. The family adhere to the Methodist church of Valentine. In politics Mr. Cramer is an Independent.
Mr. Lemons was born in Monroe county, Virginia, in 1863, on his father's farm. The latter, James Lemons, spent his whole life in that state, and it was there that the early years of our subject's life were spent. He received a common school education, and was trained in the proper operation of a farm, remaining with his parents up to his eighteenth year, then left home and came west to Illinois, locating in Cameron, Warren county, following farm work in that vicinity for six years. He next went to Kansas, where he remained for a year, working in Ness county. Mr. Lemons first came to Nebraska, landing in Dawes county, in the winter of 1887-'88, and located on a homestead in section 33, township 30, range 31. He at once put up a log cabin and started to build up his farm, and during the first few years found it rather up-hill work owing to the new country, where it was hard to obtain the proper facilities for operating a farm to advantage, but he stuck to the work and devoted his whole time and attention to improving the place. The dry years overtook him and although he suffered losses at different times, never had a complete crop failure, and was able to make a living for his family and also to add to his acreage gradually. His ranch now consists of one thousand acres, of which he has one hundred acres in a high state of cultivation and always raises good crops. The farm is well improved and has comfortable and substantial buildings, fences, and everything in the best possible shape, showing good management in all branches of the business. In 1901 Mr. Lemons made a trip to Alberta, Canada, thinking he might find a place to locate, but found no better country anywhere than he has right here, and is well satisfied to spend the balance of his years in this part of the country.
Mr. Lemons has done his full share toward building up the region, and has aided materially in advancing its best interests, helping to establish schools, and taking an active part in the local government. He has served on the school board for a number of years, and has also held the office of assessor for one term. Politically he lends his influence toward reform movements.
In 1888 Mr. Lemons was married to Miss Harriet A. Forbes, of Dawes county, Nebraska. To Mr. and Mrs. Lemons eleven children have been born, who are named as follows: Guy, Leah, James, Mary, Opha, Velva, Ruth, Crete, John and Levina, and Asa, deceased.
Mr. Bonner is a native of Wisconsin, and was born in Outagamie county, near Appleton. His father is John N. Bonner, Sr., and a farmer and old settler in Wisconsin, where his family was reared and educated. One son, Adelbert, was employed by the Union Pacific Railway Company as an engineer, and was killed in 1899 in an accident on that road. Our subject came to Nebraska in 1873, locating at North Platte, and went to work in the
locomotive department of the Union Pacific railroad. He worked his way up and is now engineer on a passenger train, running from North Platte to Grand Island. He began in the locomotive department at the age of sixteen, beginning as fireman. He started running as an engineer in 1881 at the age of twenty-one years, and has followed it continuously ever since, and has a splendid record to his credit. He was the youngest engineer in years, when appointed, of any then serving. Through strict attention to duty and carefulness in details he has had the best of success and is one of the road's most trusted employes.
Mr. Bonner was married in 1883 to Miss Etta Stebbins, daughter of Hon. Lucian Stebbins, who came to Nebraska in 1873, and began as a ranchman. He was a native of Massachusetts, born in South Wilbraham, of Puntan stock, tracing back his ancestors to the Mayflower. and then on back to 1086. and his wife was Miss Elizabeth Perry Walsh, of Pike county, Illinois. In the early days Hon. Lucian Stebbins first crossed the plains in 1857, and was known all along the Pacific coast from British Columbia to Panama, and was one of the first to write and agitate for the formation of the Populist party, of which he is one of the foremost members at the present time. He served his country during the Civil war in the Fifteenth California Volunteers, and won high honors as a soldier. He has served his community in different capacities since locating here, and in 1897 was representative from the fifty-fourth district in the state legislature. He is the owner of two good farms located near North Platte.
Mr. and Mrs. Bonner have a family of four children, named as follows: Carl and Adelbert, both attending school. Elizabeth, who is an accomplished musician, and one of the finest pianists in this locality, now attending Lincoln Conservatory of Music. She was a member of the High School Sextette, a musical organization of North Platte, who have traveled over the state and sung in a number of the larger cities with great success. Helen, who is also at school. The family is highly respected in North Platte, and they have a pleasant and comfortable home. Mr. Bonner is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
Mr. Carlson was born in the village of Hanbo, Sweden, July 11, 1848. His father, Lars Carlson. was a farmer, while his maternal grandfather, Michael Arbohm, was a coppersmith in that country. The whole family came to America in 1850, father and eldest son coming in the spring of that year, while the mother, with her father and two small children, did not reach American shores until the week before Christmas, having been on the water since spring. The second birthday of our subject was celebrated on board ship in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. Each division of the family came across the states by way of the Hudson, Erie canal and the Lakes, landing in Chicago, going from there direct to Victoria, Knox county, Illinois. Here our subject was reared and educated, attending the common schools, the while assisting his father in the work of the farm, the elder brother, Michael, having died on August 20, 1862, throwing the burden of helping the father in the farm work on Louis, then a lad of some fourteen years. He remained faithfully at his post until 1871, when he began farming for himself, working at it for nine years in Illinois. He then came west to Iowa, where he bought a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, situated four miles southeast of Essex, which in three years he sold and bought a store in Essex. Two years later he sold the store and bought a three hundred and twenty-acre tract three miles north of town, on which he lived for eleven years, when, selling this he assumed charge of the C. E. Anderson farm, containing eleven hundred and thirty acres, and acted as manager and foreman for eight years.
In 1901 Mr. Carlson first came to Brown county, secured a fine tract of land and at once went into catttle (sic) raising, also began operating five or six hundred acres of farming land. Here his sons have taken up homesteads and they control altogether, father and sons, five thousand acres of grazing and farm land, including some leased land. He and each of his sons have erected a fine set of farm buildings. and they have five windmills on the tract. Mr. Carlson has retired from cattle raising, but the sons keep five hundred head of cattle all the time. Mr. Carlson has been very successful in his farming ventures, has built up a valuable estate through perseverance and energy. and richly deserves honorable mention among the representative men of Nebraska.
Mr. Carlson was married at Victoria, Knox county, Illinois. May 1, 1871, to Miss
Albertina L. Severin, born near the village of Soderham, Sweden. Her father, Lars Severin, was a merchant and surveyor, coming to America with his daughter in 1865, his wife having died prior to their emigration. He afterward returned to Sweden, married there and came hack to America, settling in New Jersey, where he died. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Carlson, of whom three are now living, namely: Sadie, married to Frank Stronberg, and living at Essex, Iowa, the parents of six children; Henry, who married Amelia Nordquist, the father of two children, Mabel and Ernest; Ernest Carlson, who married Stella Jones, the father of four children: Henry Glen, Donald A. and Dorothy A. (twins), and Leonard. Minnie, the youngest born of our subject, is deceased.
Mr. Carlson is a Bryan Democrat. He is a member of the Methodist church, and while living in Essex fraternized with the Odd Fellows.
Mr. Thomas was born in Iroquois county, Illinois, in 1853, on a farm. He is of Welsh and Irish stock, the father born in Wales, while the mother, Emaline Cortright, was of Irish extraction, born in Illinois. Our subject's grandfather Cortright was one of the first settlers in Iroquois county, and was well known and highly respected by all who knew him. Samuel W. Thomas grew up in his native state, following farming with his father, as a boy and young man at the age of twelve starting to hustle for himself, and has made his own way in the world ever since. Several years were spent in Iowa, where he farmed on rented land, but became dissatisfied with conditions there, and came to Nebraska in the fall of 1888. locating in Sioux county. He drove overland from Illinois and Iowa, carrying his goods in a covered wagon, in which his wife rode, camping out along the way on the journey, encountering many difficulties and suffering exposure from the weather, but reached their destination in safety.
On arriving in Sioux county Mr. Thomas settled on a homestead in Hat Creek valley, where he put up a log cabin, partly dugout, and began to make a home and develop a farm. He had a team and wagon, and broke up land, putting in sod crops the first year, and eventually proved up on the place, living on it up to 1895. During the first five or six years he was obliged to work out in the vicinity of their home to make a living, spending a part of his time in the Black Hills, and also worked as a cowboy on different ranches in that region. One fall he made a trip into the Sand Hills near Hyannis, with a bunch of cattle to winter. He bought land in Sioux county and lived on it until 1901, then moved to his present location in section 10, township 23, range 57, and there put up house, barns and other improvements, having a valuable property, located on Squaw creek. There is a fine supply of water, one big spring having its source near his house, and altogether it is one of the most desirable ranches in the vicinity. The place contains six quarter sections of deeded land, with three quarters of Kincaid homestead, all fenced and a nice lot of timber, etc.
In 1873 our subject married Miss Adeline Burroughs, daughter of Abe Burroughs, a farmer of Iroquois county, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas have five children, namely: Theresa, Charles, Ira, Henry and Samuel, all of whom are grown, three married and in homes of their own.
Mr. Haney was born in Moultrie county, Illinois, in 1849. His parents were both of American blood, and followed farming all their lives. Benjamin was raised in his native state until he was about seventeen, when the family came to Nebraska, landing here in 1866. They first settled in Gage county, and later Benjamin took a homestead in Saline county, where he was among the earliest settlers. There he went through the usual pioneer experiences, witnessing grasshopper raids, when he lost three crops in succession, and had a very hard time to get along and make a living. He was married there in 1872 to Anna M. Ryder, whose father, Thomas L. Ryder, was a farmer and an old settler in eastern Nebraska, her mother's maiden name being Jane Reed, of English descent. The young couple started out bravely to establish a home in that part
[Son of Thomas Haney, killed by Ind. 1867. v. DeWitt Pre. -- handwritten at bottom of page]
of the state, and succeeded remarkably well, remaining there up to 1887, then struck out farther west, coming to Grant county in the same year. North Platte was then their nearest postoffice and trading station, and all supplies had to be hauled from that point. Here they went through many hardships, spending many nights camping out on the ground while making trips through the country by team, as the settlers' homes were very few throughout the region, and often for many miles one would not see even so much as a sod hut in driving through the country. He finally located on a ranch in the southern part of the county, put up rough buildings and started at ranching, and got into the stock business, and has met with decided success, succeeding in improving a good ranch, and at the present time owns and operates a whole section of good land, which is devoted principally to ranching purposes. He still personally superintends the running of this place, but resides in Hyannis, moving into the town in 1901.
Mr. Haney's family consists of
nine children, named as follows: Thomas, residing in Saline
county, Nebraska, on his own farm, James, Frank, George, Carrie,
Mary, Rufus. Augusta and Homer. The sons have good ranches which
lie near their father's place, and and (sic) also successful
ranchers and stock growers. A picture of the family group is
presented on another page of this volume.
Mr. Lovenburg was born in Tama county, Iowa, in 1861. His father, John Lovenburg, was born in Bohemia, where his parents lived and died, he coming to America and was one of the pioneer homesteaders in Perkins county, arriving in this country in 1887 alone. He married Mary Kasl, also born in Bohemia, coming to the United States with her parents in 1857, the family settling in Tama county, Iowa. Our subject's maternal grandmother was Kate KasI, born in Seci, in Plzen Bohemia, and his grandfather. Vaclav Kasl, born December 8, 1818, came to America in 1857, settling in Kansas in 1871, being among the earliest settlers in Republic county, of that state. They spent many years there, raising a large family, and now are the grandparents of forty-four grandchildren and fifty-six great-grandchildren. An uncle of our subject was a soldier in the Civil war.
Mr. Lovenburg was raised on a farm in Kansas, remaining with his parents until he was twenty-two years of age, and then farmed on rented land in Kansas for three years, coming to Perkins county in 1887. He filed on a homestead on section 23, township 9, range 37, starting on wild prairie land without any improvements whatever. During the first six months he was compelled to haul all water for domestic use a distance of five miles. He went through "sod shanty experience;' and experienced also the usual pioneer hardships incident to drouths, crop failures, etc., his worst years being from 1890 to 1896, but managed to make a scant living and stayed through it all, gradually growing into the stock business when the years were unfavorable for grain raising. In 1901 Mrs. Lovenburg died, her death occurring on August 13th, and shortly afterward our subject returned to his old home in Kansas, engaging in implement business with his brother, Frank V. (a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume), at the town of Narka. They built up a good business, and as stated before, had the misfortune to be burned out in 1906, so quit the business and our subject came back to his homestead in Perkins county and has since lived on it. He is owner of a fine farm of four hundred and eighty acres, with about one hundred and sixty acres cultivated, and the balance in grass, engaging to quite an extent in stock raising. His place is well improved with good buildings, fences, etc., and is one of the valuable estates in the vicinity.
Mr. Lovenburg was married in 1883, his
wife's maiden name being Anna Seka, born in Bohemia, and to them were born the following children: Sherman, now deceased; Lottie; Bertha. who died on the home ranch in March, 1908; Stanford; Walter, also deceased; Ellie, Linda and Olga.
Mr. Lovenburg has always had the reputation of being an active and public-spirited citizen and has exerted his influence in behalf of a better public service and morality, taking a leading part in local affairs, helping establish and build up the schools in his vicinity. He is an independent voter.
Mr. Goold was reared in Keith county, attending school there and later going to the State University, from which he was graduated in 1902, after completing the scientific course. He was associated with his father in the ranching business until 1906. at which time the Citizen's Bank of Ogallala was established and he became cashier of that institution. His efforts, combined with those of his associates, have made this bank a success from the start and it is now doing a good business. The deposits of this bank are guaranteed.
Mr. Goold was married in Ogallala, September 26, 1908, to Miss Jennie Smith, a daughter of Francis M. Smith, deceased. Mr. Goold is a member of the Masonic order, holding membership in the Blue Lodge at Ogallala and the Sisostris Temple, thirty-second degree Masons, at Lincoln, and also of the Temple of the Mystic Shrine.
His father, Henry L. Goold, now chairman of tthe (sic) board of county commissioners, held the office of regent at the State University from 1896 to 1902. He has taken an active part in Republican politics and has been honored with positions on committees of prominence. His birth occurred in Yates City, Illinois. December 26. 1851.
He lived in that city until grown and attended the Northwestern University, until his health failed, when he went to California, where he spent three or four years in educational work and farming. He went into the furniture business in Kewanee, Illinois, and also bought and shipped horses from Nebraska doing an extensive business. In 1880 he moved to Nebraska, where he engaged in stock raising, in which he has been very successful. He has a ranch of six thousand acres, some six miles southeast of Ogallala.
Henry L. Goold has taken a great interest in the educational matters of the region and has been a member of the board of education in Ogallala. He helped to establish the experiment station in connection with the State University while regent of that institution. He has been a great success as a farmer and stock breeder, raising draft horses of the Shire breed and shorthorn cattle. He is an example of what perseverance will do for a man in either east or vest.
Mr. Glover was born in Orange county, Indiana, in 1843. His father. John B. Glover, was born in Kentucky of American stock, and his mother was Elizabeth B. Childs, a member of the well-known Chase family of English descent. The family moved to Glenwood, Iowa, when our subject was thirteen years old. In 1862 he took a trip across the plains, and in the fall of the same year enlisted in the Independent Battery of Colorado Artillery, commanded by Captain William McClain, serving in this company for two years. During this time he contracted the measles and when this disease left him his health failed and he was discharged from the army. From 1865 to 1868 he followed the carpenter's trade in Lawrence, Kansas, and during the latter year he engaged in farming and continued at this for five years. At the end of that time he established himself in the mercantile business in Louisville, Nebraska. He was successful in this venture, and built up a nice trade, but in 1878 had the misfortune to be burned out, losing everything he had, and was obliged to start all over again. The following year he erected a large stone and brick store and opened up with a new general stock of merchandise, and soon had a profitable trade built up. From 1880 to 1885 he held the position of postmaster at Louisville. In 1884 he came to this locality and settled on his present farm as a pre-emption, moving on it with his family in the following year, and here he built a sod