tunity for stock raising on a most extensive scale. It is
improved with good buildings, and is entirely devoted to hay and
pasture. In politics Mr. Van Winkle takes an independent position,
and demands good men to receive his ballot. A view of the family
residence with portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Van Winkle form one of
the interesting illustrations in this work.
W. W. BECK.
Mr. Beck remained with his parents on the home farm in Indiana up to the time he was twenty-three years of age, and then decided to strike out west, and hearing that Nebraska was a splendid state for a young man starting out in life, came to Omaha in 1887 and worked there for a short time. In the same year, 1887, he came to this locality and filed on a homestead situated in section 7, township 24, range 46, and also took up a tree claim, but soon after gave the latter up. He did not reside on his homestead during the first winter, but made his home in Omaha and drove back and forth, and did what he could to improve his place. In the spring of 1889 he settled on the claim and worked on neighboring ranches, and also put in a small crop for himself and raised a fairly good crop, but the following year was not so successful, so he quit trying to farm his place and worked out for the following five years, still living on his place. He held this place up to 1902, and then sold it for four hundred dollars. While he was working out he saved his money and got together quite a little sum which he invested in cattle, having in mind the idea that he would engage in the ranching business on his own account as soon as he was in shape to do so. This had been his intention when he first came west, but he wanted to learn something about the business before starting, and he gained experience through his years spent on ranches in this section. When he had some money ahead he purchased a quarter section of land and established a ranch of his own. This was in 1893, and two years later his mother came here and together they took a claim and moved on it, starting in with sixty-five cattle and eight horses. He has since followed this exclusively, and now owns a ranch of six hundred and forty acres, and besides this his mother, brother and sister own three sections in the same locality. They are all associated together in the business and now run about ninety horses and five hundred head of cattle. They have plenty of range and raise enough hay to run their stock through the year.
Mr. Beck has done well since coming here and is perfectly satisfied with what he has accomplished, but would have made still more had he been more familiar with the conditions of the country. He intends to stay here as long as he is obliged to work, as he likes the climate and could not do any better anywhere than he is here. When he first struck this section Whitman was his nearest trading post, and at that time Alliance was just being started. He had many interesting experiences during the first years of his residence here, and states that he will never forget his drive here from Omaha. He intends soon to build a substantial house and farm buildings on his four hundred and eighty-acre homestead, and this will make him the proprietor of as fine an estate as there is in this locality. Mr. Beck is a Republican, and always votes that ticket, but has never taken an active interest in party politics, as he has not had the time to devote to these affairs.
The parents, Joseph W. and Lacy (North)
Pike, reared a family of seven children, named as follows: William M., John N., Charles C., George W., Lizzie, Edward and Albert.
The subject of this sketch was born in Page county, Iowa, January 1, 1870, whence his parents moved to Plymouth county, Nebraska, in the fall of 1876. In 1883 the father came to Valentine, securing land under the homestead, pre-emption and tree claims, the family following two years later.
In the spring of 1885 Edward Pike came to Valentine, and remained with his father until 1890. That year he was married to Miss Mary Metz, a native of Indiana, a daughter of John Metz, who came from Germany. The Metz family has been long and favorably known in Cherry county as among the very early settlers of this region. After farming for some years Mr. Pike, in partnership with his brother, Albert, bought a store in Sioux City, Iowa, in the fall of 1895, which they disposed of in the spring of 1897 and returned to Cherry county to engage in ranching and farming. He owns three hundred and twenty acres in section 14, township 34, range 29, and here he has developed a very comfortable home. This land he secured by purchase and homestead entry on which he has now proved up. In addition he operates quite a large tract of leased land and is becoming known as a careful and successful ranchman and farmer.
To Mr. and Mrs. Pike three children have been born: Ada, Grace and Jennings.
Mr. Hoffman was born in Posen Province, Germany. in 1875. His father, Rudolph Hoffman. followed farming all his life, and came to America in 1892. Our subject grew up in Germany, assisting his father in carrying on the home farm and also working for himself on farms in the old country up to the time of his sixteenth birthday, and then started for the United States, landing in New York city in January. 1891, and immediately struck out for the west, locating in Crawford, Nebraska, spending the first six months in this country engaged in general work on a farm, working for his board with his brother. He worked out for seven years in the vicinity of Crawford, and also was through South Dakota and in the Sand Hills in Nebraska. His father had also come to America, and settled on his present farm in section 23, township 29, range 52, which he took as a homestead, and on which he put up good buildings and has a comfortable home. Our subject purchased six hundred and forty acres of land, and also has the same number of acres of homestead land. Both father and son's land is well improved with good buildings, fences, graves, and plenty of nice water with necessary windmills, etc. Both engage to quite an extent in stock raising, handling principally cattle. Mr. Hoffman has over a hundred head of cattle and sixteen head of horses, and has built up a good business in stock, finding it very profitable. He started with very small capital, and during the early days in this section of the country after purchasing a mare for fifty dollars lost one of his other horses, and was left with only a team to work his farm with, and was in no better shape than at first, and in those days even a small loss was a very serious matter to him. He was overtaken with many misfortunes, sickness, etc., one brother dying of sickness and another accidentally shot. Our subject now farms two hundred and fifty acres of land, had one hundred and seventy-five acres in wheat in 1908. He and his father together own three sections joining. Our subject built a fine new home.
Mr. Hoffman is active in local affairs, and has held office at different times, serving as road overseer for some time. Politically he is a Republican.
Mr. Roth was born in New York state in 1863. His birthplace was near New York city. His parents were of German parentage, born and reared in that country and settled in the eastern part of the United States when
young people. They afterward came west and settled in Kansas, where they were among the pioneers of that state. Our subject was about fifteen years of age when the family moved to Kansas, and there he grew to manhood, working on the home farm and helping his father do all the hard work in breaking up their land, handling ox teams, freighting. etc. The father was engaged in sheep raising on a large scale, and he also got a good knowledge of how to raise and care for a ranch.
In 1885 he left home and came to Nebraska, driving from Kansas to Box Butte county with a team and covered wagon, camping out at night along the way. On reaching this vicinity he settled on a homestead in section 8, township 26, range 51, then returned to Kansas and remained there for one year. He then came back and took possession of his claim and started to improve it, putting up buildings and planting crops. During the first years he had a hard time to get along and only was able to make a scant living, but his brother, who was with him, owned ox teams and they worked at freighting and managed to get on in a small way. There were times when nearly every crop he put in was a failure and he was often tempted to give up the struggle, but still stuck to his claim and instead of trying to farm, started in the cattle business and dairying. He met with decided success in these lines, and now owns a large herd of cattle and has a farm of eleven hundred and fifty acres, all fenced and improved in first-class condition.
Mr. Roth was married in 1891 to Mary Bartos, a daughter of Mauritz Bartos, a well-known farmer of this county, of Bohemian birth. The following children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Roth: Albert, Lillie, George, Emma, Frank and Charles.
Mr. Roth is a Democrat in political views, and stands firmly for his convictions. He takes an active part in local affairs, has helped to build up the schools in his locality, and has held the office of school moderator for several years,
The subject of this personal history came to Grant county, Nebraska in 1886, with practically nothing as a foundation for his present prosperity save a brave spirit and willing heart, and has succeeded in building up one of the finest ranches in the section. His entire attention has been devoted to his home interests, and he has gained a high station as a successful farmer and ranchman, also as a substantial citizen of his community. Mr. Wright resides in section 26, township 22, range 37, and there the family occupy a pleasant and comfortable home surrounded by all the comforts of rural life.
James Wright is a native of Grant county, Wisconsin, born in 1851, and is of Dutch stock on his mother's side, she having been Miss Sarah Bollenbaugher, of Wisconsin. Her father's name was Ajolon Bollenbaugher, a leading citizen of that community.
Our subject was reared on a farm in Wisconsin, where he found plenty of work to do as a boy, receiving a common school education. He left home about 1876, at that time coming west and settling in Hamilton county, Nebraska, on a farm which he made his home for about ten years, and was married there to Lydia Sorrells, daughter of Thomas Sorrells, a prominent pioneer and farmer in that county. Mrs. Wright died in that vicinity, leaving a family of four children. Mr. Wright was married the second time the 16th of April, 1908, to Miss Annie Dannenbrock, of Washington county, Kansas, of a prominent German family.
In 1886 Mr. Wright came to Grant county, teaming from North Platte, and located in the valley where he now has his home. His first buildings were a sod house, barns and corrals, and he went to work and rapidly built up a good ranch, which now extends for several miles along the valley, known as Wright's valley.
One brother, Owen W. Wright, who resides in Hamilton county, is interested with our subject in this ranch, in which they have made good improvements, all of which has been accomplished by hard work and good management. Mr. Wright has gone through hard times since locating here, suffering at different times from drouths, severe storms, etc., and many times has fought prairie fires night and day when homesteads and range were threatened with destruction.
Mr. Wright is the father of four children who are named as follows; Ben, Charles W., Ajolon, and Aaron, all living and fine workers on the ranch.
Our subject has always taken a commendable
interest in local affairs, although he has never aspired to
office. An interesting picture is presented on another page of Mr.
Wright, together with his residence and family group.
Mr. Bushnell was born in Windham county,
Connecticut, on November 15, 1865, and was the second member in his father's family of five children. At the age of eighteen years he came to Nebraska in company with a brother, E. N. Bushnell, who is now located at LaGrande, Oregon. He first located at Fairmount, and later in old Cheyenne county, now Deuel county, arriving here on April 1, 1884, joining his brother who came the previous year. Mr. Bushnell took a homestead the following year and proved up on the place, afterward selling it, and then located on section 10, township 16, range 44, where he has a home ranch of six hundred and forty acres, and also considerable hay land and grazing in the vicinity. He runs a herd of two hundred and thirty head of cattle and forty horses, and is making a splendid success of his business. His ranch is situated on the Platte river, and is one of the best stock ranches in the county. Mr. Bushnell is an old-time cattle and horse man and is known throughout the region as one of the best judges of stock in the state.
Mr. Bushnell has passed through all the old Nebraska times, and taken an active and leading part in the history of the upbuilding of the western part of the state. In the early days he was associated with a number of the old-time cattlemen in the operation of some of the large ranches, who like himself, are now among the wealthy and most successful ranchmen in the west.
Mr. Bushnell was never married. Politically he stands for Republicanism, and is an earnest worker for party principles.
Mr. Wheeler was born on an Iowa farm May 28, 1878. His father, John Thomas Wheeler, was one of the pioneer settlers in Brown county, Nebraska, and well known all over this region. When Harry was seven years old he came here with his parents and grew to manhood in the vicinity in which he now makes his home, attending the pioneer schools. He bought a farm in section 1, township 30. range 21, in 1902, and began the work of improvement and building up a home. This was in an entirely unimproved condition when he purchased it. He now has a comfortable dwelling, good barns and outbuildings. with a good growth of young trees, making a valuable piece of property comprising two hundred and forty acres, of which one hundred and fifteen acres are under cultivation. He is constantly adding to the value of his estate and is numbered among the prosperous and successful young farmers in the vicinity of Long Pine.
Mr. Wheeler was married in Logan, Iowa, to Miss Myrtle Burger, who is a native of the state of Nebraska, but who had been living some five years in Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler have a family of three children, who are named as follows: Rose, Jennie and Alfred, all born on Buffalo Flats.
As one of the younger members of the farming community in Brown county, Mr. Wheeler has done his full part in the upbuilding of the agricultural interests in his locality, and he is regarded as an enterprising citizen and a man of strict integrity, who enjoys the confidence and esteem of his fellowmen. He votes the Democratic ticket and affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America camp at Long Pine.
Mr. Spencer was born on a farm in Scott county, Iowa, in 1858. His father, Webster M. Spencer, sprang from ancestors that came from England to America over two hundred years ago. Our subjects mother was Emma McMinn before marriage and was of Scotch ancestry.
Our subject was reared on the farm of his parents in Iowa and became inured to the hard work of the farm. He attended the country schools and aided his father with the farm operations until about 1880, when he spent some time in western Iowa. He came to Blaine county in 1886.
Mr. Spencer was united in marriage to Miss Alvira Clay in March. 1882. She was the daughter of Ben Clay, an old settler who lived on a homestead on the North Loup river, in Blaine county, until he died in 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer have five children: Harry, Maud. Walter. Roy and Alfred.
Our subject, his wife, with her father and brothers, came to Blaine county by team and
covered wagons in 1886, and all located on land near each other. Mr. Spencer took a homestead, built a sod house and made other improvements. He had the misfortune to lose one of his horses that died, and he had to use an ox team for a long time. Our subject spent two years in Colorado driving oxen, "bull whacking" they call it, and he learned by experience what "roughing it" meant. In early days all supplies and materials were hauled from Ord, sixty-five miles away, which required many long trips on the road. Crops were fairly good up to 1890 and the family got along very well, adding nice improvements to the farm. Then came the seasons of drouth and for a number of years the crops were almost total failures. Our subject lived on the homestead until 1896. when he proved up and bought the place where he now lives. This farm was slightly improved when he bought it and it made the beginning of his splendid ranch home. He has eleven hundred and twenty acres of his own and leases three hundred and twenty acres more, that he needs for his stock raising enterprises. On his farm one finds splendid improvements, good house, large and commodious barns and outbuildings, fences, a fine orchard, groves and small fruits. Since the early days Mr. Spencer has engaged in the cattle business, buying and selling stock. Now he raises all that he can conveniently handle on his own farm. He keeps Hereford stock and also has fine registered bulls of that stock. He runs all together about three hundred and forty head of cattle and has three registered bulls. Mr. Spencer has also raised and shipped many hogs and meets with good success. His practice is to finish his own cattle when the crops warrant it and he does his own shipping to eastern markets.
Mr. Spencer has had many ups and clowns during his business career. Once his property was almost entirely wiped out by fire, but he has recouped his losses and made steady advance to wealth and prosperity and prominence. He is one of the county's most public-spirited citizens and is active in the affairs of his community. He has held various offices of trust and was county commissioner a number of years ago.
Mr. Beckman was born in New Jersey in 1844 and moved to Jersey county, Illinois, when a lad, and was there raised and educated. His father and mother were both natives of New Jersey. His mother died at Jerseyville, Illinois, in 1885. His father, a butcher by trade, died shortly after coming to Nebraska in 1889. At twenty years of age our subject started in life for himself, going first to Montana, where he remained for about eight years, following both mining and the butcher business; then went to Madison, Wisconsin, with the Gosshart Reaper Works as foreman; also traveled for same concern as salesman on the road. He then moved to Moline, Illinois, where he worked in the Moline Plow Company's shops as foreman for seven years. In 1885 he came to Sheridan county and located on his present farm, which is situated in section 19, township 33, range 42. At that time the railroad only came as far as Valentine, and travelers were obliged to make the rest of the journey on a construction train. Before permanently settling in this locality Mr. Beckman traveled all over the western country, and since coming here has been perfectly content to remain on his homestead. He was among the first settlers in this valley, but even at that time the land was nearly all taken. He only pre-empted eighty acres, and never used his homestead right, but bought all the land he now owns. During the first years he lived here he saw some hard times, the dry seasons causing him severe losses, and several times he lost his entire crop through hailstorms. At one time he went back to the butcher business and worked at that for three years, and has since worked out on farms to get a new start after the drouth had stripped them of all their crops. He often became discouraged, but stuck to it through all hardships, and now is very glad he did so, for he could never have done as well anywhere else. His farm comprises six hundred and forty acres, and of this he has about three hundred acres under cultivation, running about one hundred head of stock, and when he came to this place he was several hundred dollars in debt. He has put all his buildings on the east side of the section, and has all the modern improvements in the way of machinery, windmills, etc., necessary to run a model farm. He has also installed a system of water works on his place, which forces the water all through his barns and house where he wishes it to go. He has a good orchard of apple and small fruit trees.
Mr. Beckman was married in Madison, Wisconsin, in 1870, to Mrs. Harriet Fowler, a native of New York state, born in 1838. Mr. and Mrs. Beckman have three children, who
are named as follows: Minnie E., W. H. and Richard E. Mrs. Harriet Fowler had one child by her first marriage, George W. Fowler. Mr. Beekman has given each of his sons a one-third interest in the land and proceeds as an inducement to stay on the farm and assist him in working it, which proves a very good way of solving the problem of "how to keep our boys on the farm." In years past he voted the Populist ticket, but has changed his views and now leans toward the Socialists. He is prominent in all school matters and has served on the school board for nine years.
Mr. Moore was born in Pennsylvania in 1839, of American parents. He grew up in his native state, where both father and mother were born and reared.
When our subject was twenty-two years of age, at the breaking out of the war, he enlisted in the United States volunteer army, served through the entire war and did not return home until 1868. He left the east and came to Colorado in 1870, traveling through different parts of the west for several years, engaging in buying cattle or whatever he found to do that he thought there was a dollar in, landing in Sioux county about 1889. His first location was on Soldiers creek, and he lived in that vicinity for several years, then removed to Running Water river, starting at once in the ranching business, and from that time has been constantly engaged in the stock business. He had hard times during the early years, but has always managed to get along in some way, and for the past few years has met with splendid success, building up a good ranch and accumulating a nice property. He is owner of sixteen quarter sections, all good ranching and farm land, and is one of the well-to-do and prominent ranchmen of his locality. When he first came to this region he was obliged to haul all his supplies from Sidney and has experienced every phase of life on the frontier. He has done his share in the developing of this region, and is a typical representative of the west, broad-minded and liberal in his views on every subject.
In 1871 Mr. Moore was married to Mary Dickerson. who died in 1896. This union was blessed with a family of eight children, namely: Jennie M., Joe A., Rebecca, Frank, Gertrude, Harry, Charles W. and Mary. Mr. Moore was married the second time in 1899 to Miss Mary Mills, of Chicago, Illinois.
Our subject takes a deep interest in county and national politics, voting the Republican ticket.
Mr. Johnson is a native of Clinton county, Pennsylvania, and was born in 1859, eight miles west of Lockhaven. His father and mother, William Everett and Elizabeth Mower Johnson, both of Clinton county removed to Carroll county, Illinois, in 1865. For many years Mr. Johnson resided in Carroll county, where he held a first-class teacher's certificate and taught school, and later followed farming and teaching in Guthrie and Anderson counties, Iowa. Since coming to Nebraska he has devoted his attention exclusively to farming and stock raising, operating a ranch consisting of four hundred acres, and raises corn, alfalfa and feed of all kinds. He also deals extensively in stock and has a herd of twenty-five thoroughbred white-faced cattle, from the celebrated Rogers herd of McCook, Nebraska. He intends to develop this herd to as many as he can handle comfortably on his ranch, and as he is a man of good business judgment and ability he adopts the methods to suit the needs and conditions of this part of Nebraska in his farming and stock raising operations, thus securing the best possible results. Each year he raises and feeds about one hundred and twenty-five grade cattle, and from two to
three hundred hogs, from which he derives a considerable income.
Mr. Johnson was married while living in Guthrie county, Iowa, to Miss Caroline Kretzinger, daughter of John and Mary (Boone) Kretzinger, that family having come from Licking county, Ohio, and the Boones from West Virginia, the Boones being of the same family as Daniel Boone, of national fame. To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have been born the following children: Ollie and Bessie, both teachers in the Harlan county schools; four sons, namely, Everet, Nathan, Daniel McKinley and Robert, who according to their ages assist in the farming and stock operations, and Caroline, born September 24, 1908. For two years, from 1893 to 1895, Mr. Johnson and his family resided in Holdrege, where he was engaged in the livery business.
Mr. Murphy was born in Limerick, Ireland, and came to America at the age of fourteen and came with his parents, who settled in Wayne, Michigan. At the breaking out of the Civil war he raised a company at Ottumwa, Iowa, and was appointed captain of Company A, Seventh Iowa Cavalry. He and Colonel Summers served in the west against the Indians, and had command, and at one time had charge of twenty companies at Fort Kearney. They fought the Indians at the Blue and had a big battle at Julesburg, and went through many exciting and dangerous times. After the war he ran a ranch called "Alkali Lake Range," located on the California trail near Fort McPherson. Here the Indians got so bold and dangerous that he was obliged to abandon it.
In 1871 Mr. Murphy came to Arapahoe, he being the first white settler in this region. He took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, on which he laid out the town, giving it the name it now bears, after the famous Indian chief. He began selling off lots, then bought more land, and also was engaged in the stock business, buying and selling cattle. He had a farm of two hundred and forty acres, and this was stocked with a big herd, and he was very successful in these ventures. Mr. Murphy was well versed in law, and for eight years was justice of the peace, acting in this capacity for a great number of people in the early days. During his later years he engaged in the hardware business, handling hardware, furniture, paints, farming implements, machinery, harness and tinware, and enjoyed a good trade all through his section of the country.
Mr. Murphy was married in 1854 to Miss Margaret Murphy, of Wayne, Michigan. Four children were born of this union, named as follows: Laure, wife of William Miles, of Stockville, Nebraska, now deceased; Ellen, who married her brother-in-law two years after the death of her sister; Ed. B., Jr., in the lumber business at Curtis, Nebraska, and Frank a real estate dealer of Long Beach, California. In 1867 Mrs. Murphy died at a ripe old age.
Mr. Murphy was married the second time to Miss Lizzie Billings, daughter of Samuel Spencer Billings and Lucinda Johnstone Billings, the former moving from Hartford, Connecticut, to Iowa in the early days of that state. He was a merchant, and at one time owned eight stores in Keokuk, Iowa, also the Billings House and the opera house at that place, being counted one of the wealthiest men of Iowa. He later located at Plattsmouth, Nebraska, where he died in 1890. Our subject's maternal grandfather, John Johnstone, lived near Pittsburg, and owned the salt works on the Ohio river, settling in Bonaparte, Iowa, where he engaged in the mercantile business. Mr. Murphy's children by his second marriage were as follows: Lee Spencer Murphy, born October 23, 1879, educated at Kearney Military College. In 1898 he enlisted in the Thirty-second Volunteer Infantry, Company B, going to the Philippines, where he served for two years, taking part in the battles there, being killed at Batan by an ambush while guarding the provision train. He was a fine young man in every respect, admired by all who knew him for his excellent qualities, and his death at the age of twenty years was a sad blow to his family and friends. He was corporal of his company, and was brought home for burial. A daughter of our subject, Edna I., has been a teacher in the Arapahoe schools for five years. She was educated here and at the Peru Normal School. Another daughter, Grace Billings, was educated in this city, and is now a teacher in Billings, Montana. One son, Stuart Robert, resides in Arapahoe.
Mr. Murphy was a man of wonderful perseverance and great endurance. He was of
splendid physique, six feet two inches in height, handsome and of fine appearance. He was a prominent member of the Masonic Lodge and also of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Politically he had always voted the Republican ticket, and was a strong advocate of the principles of that party up to the time of his death, which occurred on January 25, 1899. He was admired by all who knew him for his sterling character and excellent qualities, and in him the state of Nebraska lost one of its foremost citizens and representative men.
Mr. Wilson was born in Jackson county, Ohio, July 11, 1845. His father, William Wilson, was a farmer and stock raiser, of American blood, born in Jackson county, Ohio, who settled in eastern Nebraska in the early days, his death occurring there in 1883. He married Miss Margaret Stevenson, also of American birth, born in Kentucky. When our subject was two years of age the family settled in Mercer county, Ohio, where he grew up, enjoying a frontier life in a timbered country and assisting his father in building up a farm and home in the wild country. They next moved to Illinois, locating in Hancock county, where he started out for himself, following farm work. In 1870 he went to Missouri and also farmed, remaining eight years, then left that state and settled in Lancaster county, Nebraska, where he was among the early pioneers. In 1882 he came to the town of Cortland, Gage county. Nebraska, and there started a livery stable, which he ran for about a year. In 1885 he came to Dawes county, being among the party of emigrants that came to Chadron. He located on government land located half a mile east of Whitney, and he at once built a small shack and started a farm, going through all the pioneer experiences and often having a hard time to get along. He built up a good place and remained there up to 1901. His farm contained two hundred and forty acres, with good buildings an« improvements, and he made a success of his farming operations. He came to Whitney in 1901 and engaged in the livery and stock business, having a god livery barn and a good patronage. He also owns a comfortable residence and is well-to-do, and one of the worthy citizens of the place and county.
Mr. Wilson was married in the fall of 1879 - November 23 - to Miss Mary E. Marshall, daughter of Ralph and Amelia (Stuart) Marshall, the former a native of Ireland, where he was a cabinet maker in his younger days. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are the parents of one son, Clyde, born July 20, 1880.
Our subject has served as assessor for one term, and takes an active interest in local public affairs. Politically he is a Democrat. On the 22d of October, 1907, our subject bought a fine farm of two hundred acres in section 21, township 33, range 50, and moved to it in March, 1908. The farm was partly improved with good buildings, running water the year round, plenty of timber and the best spring in the county. He is building up a fine ranch, and has fine crops this year.
Mr. Wolf received his early education in the
schools of Nebraska and attended the Fremont Normal School at
North Platte, Nebraska. In 1879 the family moved to Deuel county,
Nebraska, where his father engaged in railroad work and later
homesteaded a claim, following ranching for several years. He also
took a tree claim and a pre-emption claim, and is one of the most
widely known and highly respected old settlers in western
Nebraska. A sketch of Mr. Wolf appears elsewhere in this work.