house in which they have lived ever since. This was the first white family to settle in this vicinity, and their sod house was the first building ever erected here.
Mr. Glover was married in July, 1860, to Miss Alma E. Wilson, born in Ireland in 1845, who came to America with her parents when a young child. Mr. and Mrs. Glover were the parents of four children, who are named as follows: Florence A., born August 17, 1866; George V., born August 15, 1868; Walter, born September 20, 1871; and Clara M., born July 6, 1875. The sons refused to take advantage of the college education which their father offered to give them, but the girls were eager to avail themselves of the opportunity, and each has received a full college course. On November 21, 1896, Mr. Glover died as the result of an accident. He was slightly deaf, and during a fire, while attempting to cross the street was struck by the hook and ladder truck. He was not killed instantly, but went to Los Angeles soon after, and died there from the injuries received in this accident. Since his death his wife has managed all his affairs and the well-kept home and surroundings bear evidence of her ability and good judgment. The family have gone through considerable trouble, but have always had the sympathy and assistance of good friends and helpful neighbors. Mrs. Glover now operates six sections of land, farming about one hundred and fifty acres, and keeps about four hundred head of cattle. The whole place is well improved with good substantial buildings, and all fenced. She devotes her entire time and attention to the affairs of the large property, personally superintending everything, but the labor attached to the management of a place of this size is almost too much for one person to undertake, and she is desirous of renting her place to a good, responsible person. Mr. Glover was a strong Republican, always took an active interest in party politics, but never sought any honors at the polls. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, of the Masonic lodge, and Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and was buried by the Odd Fellows with all the honors of the order.
Mr. Steele is a native of
Scotland, born February 20, 1848, and came to Canada with his
parents when he was eight years of age. Leaving Scotland in a
sailing vessel, they were buffeted by storms until the vessel
sprung a leak. After a perilous time, during which the continued
use of the pumps kept the vessel afloat, they reached Liverpool
where Mr. Steele and his family reembarked in the Black Star
liner, Australia. Landing in New York they went by rail to Coburg,
Canada, later settling near Trenton. His father, John Steele, a
native of Scotland, emigrated to the county of Hastings, Ontario,
settling on a farm near Trenton. Our subject is the third member
in a family of five children, and at the age of sixteen years
started in life for himself, securing employment in a saw mill. He
spent one winter working in the pineries, then learned the millers
trade in Trenton, Ontario, and followed this for sixteen years in
Canada. In 1872 he left Canada and moved to Minnesota, where he
worked at his trade for twelve years, then bought a farm in that
state, which he lost through a succession of crop failures. He
then became discouraged and left his farm there with nothing to
show for his hard labor. He came to Cherry county in November,
1886, his only capital being a team and four cows, driving
overland the entire distance from Minnesota to Nebraska, requiring
six weeks to cover the journey of six hundred and fifty miles. He
located on the farm he now occupies, and went to work in building
up his home. His first dwelling was a log house, which burned down
about a year and a half later, consuming the entire contents. He
then erected a stone house with a sod roof and occupied this for
many years. He has improved his place wonderfully, adding to his
acreage until he is proprietor of twelve hundred and eighty acres
of good land, of which four hundred acres can be cultivated, and
has one hundred and twenty acres of good hay land. He is engaged
in both farming and stock raising, also dairying on a large scale,
milking about thirty cows and shipping the cream to Lincoln. He
has the record of receiving the largest check for cream sent to
anyone at Cody, his product amounting to two hundred and sixty
dollars for six months during the summer of 1906. Mr. Steele has
fine grout house, 20x36, erected in 1903, with a commodious cellar
under it, besides a vegetable cellar, 12 x 18 feet. His barn is a
good, large building, 20 x 114, and he has one hundred and eighty
feet of stone shed, granary (14x20), and a large hen house. He has
spent considerable money in these buildings, and to
show for it has as finely improved a place as can be found in
this locality. He raises good crops each year, his crop in 1906
amounting to over three hundred bushels of potatoes and thirty
hundred bushels of corn and other grains. He keeps one hundred and
twenty-five head of cattle, about thirty head of horses and some
hogs. His farm is well supplied with water, extending two miles
along Bear creek flowing through his farm, and he has a beautiful
spring of clear water which never fails. A view of the residence
and surroundings will be found on another page in this work.
In 1902 Mr. Steele spent the summer in Canada, and in 1906 he made another trip accompanied by his wife, and during the latter journey Mrs. Steele was taken ill with heart failure and died in Peterboro, Ontario, on May 6. During the Indian war in Nebraska, in 1891, Mrs. Steele was the only woman on the flats who did not leave, she preferring to remain with her husband through the dangerous times rather than leave without him.
Mr. Steele has always been one of the public-spirited citizens of his community and his hospitality is proverbial. Politically he is an Independent voter, at times having served the community in local offices.
Patterson & Wingard also have an increasing demand for millet seed, which is largely grown in this section. One St. Louis firm has this year contracted for the product of seven hundred acres, to be used in the manufacture of poultry food. The firm is this year growing a special strain of field seed corn, six hundred acres, which receives the closest care, and will bring a handsome price from the eastern firm for which it is contracted. These successes show the splendid possibilities of western Nebraska as a grain country to all who are alert, resourceful and industrious.
One of the largest implement, wagon and buggy establishments in western Nebraska is conducted by Patterson & Wingard, and their trade in this line extends over a large territory around Kearney and vicinity.
Mr. Shaw is a native of Crawford county, Indiana, born in 1865. He is a son of John E. and Elvira Williams Shaw, old settlers in Custer county, Nebraska, coming here in
1880. Our subject was reared in his native state until fourteen years of age, then with his parents came to the central part of Nebraska. where they were among the pioneers in starting a farm and home. Custer county was then wild prairie land, and there was plenty for our subject to do in assisting his parents in the work on their homestead, and he remained with them until he was eighteen, then left home and moved to Cherry county, where he worked on a cow ranch as a cowboy for some time. This ranch was located seventy-five miles south of Valentine on the Loup river, and after working there for a time he found employment on different ranches in that section, and became thoroughly familiar with the whole of Cherry county.
In 1892 Mr. Shaw came to Dawes county, locating twelve miles north of Crawford, where he started in the cattle business, remaining there for three years, then moved to his present ranch in section 20, township 35, range 52. Here he put up a log cabin and began at once to make a success of the ranching business, and has certainly made a success of it. He has a good set of substantial farm buildings, corrals, etc., with five miles of fencing. He is now owner of six hundred and forty acres of land, and ranges over several sections in South Dakota and Nebraska, running six hundred head of his own stock, cattle and horses, besides twelve hundred head of sheep, the latter being his main line of the work. His nearest neighbor is two and a half miles from his home.
Mr. Shaw was married in 1894 to Miss Kate L. Moody, daughter of Truman P. Moody. an old settler in this locality, whose sketch appears in this work. To Mr. and Mrs. Shaw four children have been born, namely: Lloyd, Truman, Berenice and Emerson.
All of Mr. Shaw's time is taken up in superintending the work of his home and ranch, and he has never sought public preferment, although he lends his aid and influence in all movements for the betterment of conditions in his community.
Mr. Hays was born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, in 1831. His father, James Hays, was a farmer by occupation, American birth, descended from Irish stock. He married Mary Kuhn, of German-Scotch parentage. Our subject was reared in his native state and followed farming and building as a young man. In 1853 he came to Henderson county, Illinois, there engaging in farming and remained for seventeen years, and became owner of a farm of eighty acres, did fairly well but was not satisfied with conditions there and decided to go farther west, so came to Page county, Iowa, in 1872. He rented a farm of three hundred and twenty acres, was very successful in its operation and remained there for sixteen years. He next came to Nebraska and took up a tract of government land situated in section 10, township 25, range 47, in 1887, when Hay Springs was the nearest railroad town to his claim, sixty or seventy miles distant. Here he put up good sod buildings and started farming, but in 1890 the hard times struck him and he had two complete crop failures, and besides these, a number of partial failures, so that he became very much discouraged although he would not give up and gradually was able to build up his place and improve it with good buildings, etc. He now has eight hundred acres of good land, all fenced and cross fenced, and farms one hundred acres, and engages principally in the raising of horses and cattle, also hogs. He has two good wells with windmills and supply tanks, and everything is kept up in first-class shape. During the early years of Mr. Hays' residence in this region he was obliged to haul wood for fuel from Pine Ridge, a distance of fifty miles, and during these trips camped out at night, each trip taking four days.
January 6, 1853, Mr. J. Hays was married in Mercer county, Pennsylvania to Miss Rachel Richards, a daughter of Owen and Nancy Richards, a farmer of Mercer county. Mrs. Nancy Richards was of American birth, descended from Irish stock. Mr. and Mrs. Hays are the parents of six children who are named as follows: James M., Nancy L., Mary, Newton, who assists his father in the running of the home farm, and the only son with him at present; Mina and Louis, the last two living on adjoining land and in sight of their lather's ranch. Mr. Hays lost his wife in the month of March, 1889, just before he
moved the family from Iowa to Box Butte county.
Mr. Hays is a strong Republican, and has always been active in local affairs.
Mr. Vargason was born in Buchanan county, Iowa, January 12, 1860, and was the third member of a familiy (sic) of four sons that came to bless the marriage of Harry M. and Mary B. (Bessey) Vargason. His parents were devoted to agricultural pursuits, and remained on their farm in Iowa until their removal to Rock county, Nebraskka (sic). in 1882. Young George was accustomed to hard work from his earliest youth, and received his education in the public schools of his native community. In 1883 the Vargasons came west, sojourned fifteen days in Running Water, South Dakota, crossed the river to Creighton. Nebraska, where they remained a few weeks, then all located on government land near what was known as Mariaville postoffice in Rock county. Here they built a frame shanty of poles and boards, which they covered with tar paper roofing, and presently George and his father were able to prove up their claims. which was their home until 1903. That year they sold out to good advantage and established themselves where they are found at the writing of this article.
Mr. Vargason was married in Delaware county, Iowa, January 1, 1884, to Miss Ida S. Lee, a native of that county, and a daughter of Arnold R. and Lydia (Adams) Lee, who came of old American stock, and were successful at farming. The father prides himself on his unwavering support of the Republican party. Mrs. Vargason was a most charming and attractive lady, and became the mother of five children, Harry, Allie, Archie, Fern and Orval. All these children were born in the same house, but the house was moved to another farm prior to the birth of the youngest. She was called to the better land October 31, 1903, leaving behind sweet and tender memories of a dear and faithful wife and mother.
Mr. Vargason knows by personal experience what the hardships of frontier life in the old pioneer days of Nebraska mean. He has seen the fairest crops and the most delightful promise wither and perish under a rainless sky and the cattle perish for want of pasturage. But the rain belt has moved to the west and farm life is now as full and rich and complete as anywhere in the world. Here he owns four hundred and eighty acres of fine land in sections 33 and 34. township 33. range 17, upon which lie has a neat cottage residence, a good barn, granary and other structures that the successful management of the place may need. On this farm he has about a thousand fruit trees, a few of which are already bearing, and all in good condition. It fronts on the Niobrara river for more than a mile, and presents special facilities for stock raising.
Mr. Vargason has taken a somewhat active part in local politics and he is regarded as one of the leading citizens of the county, but he has never been willing to accept a public position. His own affairs have always seemed to him a sufficient field for all his activities. He is a believer in Republican principles and a member of the Odd Fellows, and Workmen's fraternities, the former at Newport and the latter at Mariaville.
[handwritten below article: d. Nov. 1, 1950 - Bassett]
ing on a homestead, his present home, in section 11. township 25. range 49. There he went through the usual pioneer experiences, freighting through the country, camping out nights, etc. His first team was a pair of horses, but he had the misfortune to lose them through some sickness, so bought a team of oxen, which did considerable work for a long time. He got along very well in breaking up his place but was unable to raise anything but small crops, and had a hard time to make a living and do much in the way of improving his farm. Many seasons his crops failed and he was obliged to work out to provide for his family, but never gave up hope and stuck to his place. As the times grew better he gradually put up good buildings, increased his acreage, and now owns a ranch consisting of four quarter sections, all of which is fenced and in first-class shape.
Mr. Sass was married in Germany, in 1866, to Anna Eckmann, who emigrated to this country with her husband and who has been a faithful helpmeet during the many years of hard labor here, fighting for a home and competence for their declining years. Mr. Sass had the sad misfortune to lose his wife July 1, 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Sass were the parents of three children, namely: Hannah, John and Mary.
Our subject has always been an earnest worker and advocate for the best interests of his locality, and has given his best efforts in aiding its development. Politically he is a Republican.
Mr. Folkerts was born in the village of Sandhorst, near the city of Aurech, Hanover, Germany. March 17, 1852. He was the third of a family of seven children, six of whom are still living. He grew up in his native country, following farming during his youth and remained there until he was sixteen years of age. then came to the United States with his parents. The family sailed from Bremenhaven on the Niagara, and after a voyage of six weeks landed in New York. The family first located in Adams county, Illinois, living about ten years there, then went into Morgan county, that state, and with the exception of two years more in Adams, lived there until the spring of 1887, when they came to Nebraska, settling in Cheyenne county. George took up a homestead on section 28, township 16, range 47. proved up on a one hundred and sixty-acre tract and this was the nucleus of his present valuable estate consisting of eleven hundred and twenty acres, his residence being on section 32. His ranch is now splendidly improved with good buildings. A new one and one-half-story residence of seven rooms was built in the summer of 1908. He has one hundred and twenty-five acres under cultivation and runs fifty head of cattle and quite a number of good horses.
Mr. Folkerts' father and mother came to Cheyenne county, also, about 1887, and they were well-known old-timers of the region, liv-here (sic) many years, although both have departed this life.
In 1878 our subject was married in Morgan county, Illinois, to Carrie Rehck, and together they came to the western country to build up a home and fortune. Mrs. Folkerts died in 1900, leaving the following children: Anna, wife of John Weyerts, now living in Perkins county, Nebraska; Maggie, married to William Bauer, also living in Perkins county; Sophia, married to John Johnson, residing in Hayes county; Mary, wife of Fred Bauer, living at Weyerts; and Emma and John, unmarried, living at home. Mr. Folkerts was married the second time, on September 12, 1903, in this county, to Mrs. Hilka Gross, who was born in Germany and came to this country in 1866.
Mr. Folkerts is a good citizen and takes an active interest in local affairs, at present serving as moderator of school district 32. In politics he is a Roosevelt Democrat. He is a member of the Lutheran church.
the honor of being the youngest buffalo hunter in this part of the country.
Mr. Grout was born in 1856 in Scott county, Iowa, and was raised in that state. He came to Nebraska in June, 1869, at the age of fifteen years. His parents came to Franklin county and located on a homestead in section 6, Marion township, and he lived at home until he was twenty-one, then started out for himself, taking up a timber claim of one hundred and sixty acres, and to this has added two hundred and forty acres adjoining, on which he resides. Here he engages in stock and grain raising, and keeps a large part of his land for pasture, running about a hundred cattle and from one to two hundred hogs all the time, all high grade animals. The farm is well supplied with water and trees, and there is a complete set of substantial farm buildings, everything in the best possible condition, and altogether, one of the valuable pieces of property in the county. All of Mr. Grout's time is put in on his farm. and he is well repaid for his labors in the good crops and rich returns from his stock, etc. Our subject was married in 1878 to Miss Lizzie Curtis, who is a daughter of T. M. Curtis, who homesteaded in Marion township in the year 1874, coming to Nebraska from Iowa.
To Mr. and Mrs. Grout five children have been born, who are named as follows: Harry, living on a farm of two hundred and forty acres adjoining his father's place; David, who runs the home place with his father; Frank, attending the high school at Franklin, and two daughters, Bessie and Ina. Mr. Grout is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen lodge at Franklin. The family belong to the Congregational church in Franklin, and are among the highly esteemed citizens of their community. Mrs. Grout died in 1893, mourned by many friends. This left Mr. Grout with a family to raise, which he has accomplished.
Mr. Wright is a native of Mercer county Missouri, born in 1867. He is a son of A. H. and Jenett (McDougle) Wright. His father and mother were farmers who settled there many years ago, and he grew up there and was taught to do all kinds of hard farm work in his boyhood, receiving but a limited education, or such as could be obtained by attending the old-time district schools. He now lives in Burwell, Nebraska, and has a nice comfortable home. Our subject left home at the age of twenty-one years, and came to Nebraska with his parents, landing in Garfield county in December, 1885, when he was only eighteen years old, and has lived here ever since. His father took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, and at once started his farm and home, often in the early days meeting with many discouragements during the dry years, losing crops at different times, which was a serious setback to him during the pioneer years when he was trying so hard to get together a little property. However, when the better years began he was successful in raising good crops of corn, wheat, oats and rye, also getting together quite a lot of stock, and is now in comfortable circumstances. Before going to Nebraska he helped his father farm in Missouri, but considers this state much better for the poor than Missouri, as a man can farm more land here and it is cheaper.
Mr. Wright was married to Miss Cora Kester, born and raised in Iowa. She is a daughter of W. K. and Ann (Rape) Kester. They have a pleasant home and are the parents of five children, two boys and three girls, namely Cora, Martha, Annie, Elmer and Clarence.
Politically Mr. Wright is a Republican, but has never devoted any time to public affairs.
of the ones which was sent in search of J. Wilkes Booth. His company was employed part of the time in the west, serving with the troops fighting the Indians on the frontier. He died in 1906 at Macon, Georgia, where he had gone the previous fall for the benefit of his health. Mr. Piercy was one of the early settlers in Omaha, whither he emigrated in 1886 and was engaged in the hardware business for eleven years as manager for the Melton Rogers Iron Company and for the succeeding eleven years was head of the firm of Piercy & Bradley, one of the largest firms of iron-mongers in Omaha. His health failed while he was a member of this firm and he gave up the business and went south for a time, then returning to Nebraska he located in Cherry county in the spring of 1884. He settled on the farm which he occupied at the time of his death. This farm is situated in section 6, township 20, range 30. Here he put up rude farm buildings and began as a pioneer. He was an important factor in the development of this region, being instrumental in the establishment of several different postoffices and mail routes in the southern part of this county. Having a good knowledge of surveying he practiced that science to a great extent. He began ranching soon after settling in Cherry county, and was very successful in all his ventures, controlling at the time of his demise eight hundred acres of the finest hay land and one thousand acres of range, all improved and well stocked.
Mr. Piercy was first married in Ogdensburg, New York, March 1, 1865, to Miss Caroline L. Battelle, three of whose children are living, Caroline L. (Archard), Mary E. and Nellie (Lanning). He was married a second time in June, 1876, in Omaha, to Miss Libbie Stout, a native of Oswego, New York. They had a family of seven children, of whom four survive: Agnes J., David A., Jr., Leonard D. and William W., all residing near Kennedy.
Owing to failure in health Mr. Piercy sought recuperation in the south in the fall of 1905, but failing in what he sought he passed away at Macon, Georgia, in March, 1906. His wife survived him only about two months, her death occurring in May.
Mr. Piercy was prominent in local affairs, and was highly esteemed as one of the leading ranchmen in the southern part of the county. He was well known throughout the community for his integrity and true worth, and his family had the sympathy of the entire community at his death. He was an enthusiastic worker in the Episcopal church, erecting a sod chapel at Kennedy, which now stands as a monument to an earnest, God-fearing man. He was formerly a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
David A. Piercy. Jr., was born in Omaha, August 15, 1878, and was but a lad when the family moved to Cherry county in 1884. At the age of fifteen he began life for himself as an employe of Robert Gillaspie and remained with his first employer for five years. For the eight years following he was engaged in the cattle business for William Erickson, when he began business for himself. He now owns six hundred and forty acres of land under the Kincaid homestead act, and holds three thousand acres more under lease, running about one hundred head of cattle and fifty horses. His homestead claim dated from 1905, on which he erected in that same year a neat cottage and suitable outbuildings. His brand is J. I. C. He is a member of the Woodlake Lodge of Odd Fellows.
Aaron Van Winkle, the eldest in a
family of nine children, was reared under the parental roof, and
remained on his Illinois home place until he reached the age of
twenty years. In 1891 he came into Nebraska, and settled in
Lancaster county, where he was engaged in the cultivation of a
rented farm for some four years, but later on he bought a place.
While there he was married to Miss Annie Ellis, a daughter of
Daniel W. and Rachel (Martin) Ellis. Her parents were both farming
people, and are still living in Lancaster county. Mr. and Mrs. Van
Winkle are the happy parents of a family of six children: Guy,
Ernest. Rachel, James, John and Ruth. In 1906 the Lancaster county
farm was sold, and the family removed to Cherry county, and here
Mr. Van Winkle bought twelve hundred and eighty acres, a part of
the Payton ranch with the dwelling on section 32, fronting
Gordon's creek, and affording every oppor-