made a success of the ranching business, and Doc worked for him for a number of years, finally starting for himself in 1896, settling on a ranch on section 2, township 26, range 27. He took a homestead, proved up on it, and while he has gone through some hardships in getting his home started, has been in the main successful and is now owner of one thousand six hundred acres, part of which is fenced, running quite a herd of cattle and other stock. He farms about forty acres, and has all good buildings and improvements, deriving a nice income from his different enterprises.
Mr. Higgins was married in 1900 to Miss Linda Milvin, whose father was a well known pioneer in Thomas county, owner of a good ranch there. To them have been born three children, George, Harry and James, all bright and interesting children, and they are a most happy family. Mr. Higgins is active in local affairs, and enjoys the esteem and respect of all who know him.
Mr. Worley was born in Richardson county, Nebraska, in 1870. His parents at that time occupied the southwest quarter of section 3, township 5. range 15. The father farmed all his life and came to this state from Indiana, where he met and married Celestia Cornell, also a native of that state. Our subject was reared on the home farm until the age of six years, at which time the father's death occurred, then the family came to Box Butte county. In 1884, when he was about fifteen years old, the mother filed on a tree claim, and on a pre-emption in 1885 in this county, and they decided to improve this farm and make a home of it. Their first dwelling was a tent, in which they lived for some time, then put up a sod house in which they settled about the first of December, 1885, as they were having severe winter weather, the snow having completely covered the ground to a depth of two feet, as early as November 6th of that year, and the tent was not the warmest place imaginable in such a temperature. All the land, or claims, were taken in Mrs. C. S. Worley's name, the tree claim, pre-emption and homestead, and while living there they went through the usual pioneer experiences. Their first team was a pair of horses and a pair of oxen, and with them they broke up land for crops, did freighting and any kind of work in order to make a living. They remained here for two years, also took a homestead in section 23, and in time proved up on the claim. In 1894 our subject went to Lincoln and spent four years, attending school at that place, then returned to the farm and has since spent his entire time in improving and building up their property. He has been engaged in the cattle and horse business during most of the time since locating here, so that the drouth years did not affect him so much. He constantly added to their original acreage, until at one time the family owned about three thousand acres. They have sold some four hundred and eighty acres, leaving them now owners of about two thousand five hundred acres. They now have one hundred acres under cultivation, raising small grain, potatoes, etc. They keep about two hundred and fifty head of cattle, and have plenty of water from good wells, furnished with windmills and supply tanks.
Our subject's mother, Mrs. C. S. Worley, first settled in eastern Nebraska in 1856, where her parents were among the earliest settlers in that part of the state, their home being in Richardson county.
In political views Mr. Worley is a Democrat.
Mrs. C. S. Worley relates many thrilling experiences since she first settled in her home in Box Butte county, one in particular occurring in April, 1904. Jean Thompson and wife had settled near here, and not having range enough of their own, began using Mrs. Worley's land on which to run their cattle. Mr. Worley became tired of the encroachments of these new people and went out in her buggy to drive the Thompson cattle off her land. She was abused and severely treated by Thompson and his wife. They threw a lasso and lassoed the rear wheels of the buggy, throwing it completely over and catching Mrs. Worley underneath and dragging her for a long distance. They thought she would die for a long time and, in fact, she has never fully recovered from the effects of this dastardly treatment. It is fortunate this kind of treatment is no more possible in these later days. The Thompsons finally drifted away into the Sand Hill country.
Mrs. Worley has three children: R. C. Worley, who lives with his mother on the home ranch; Lottie C., attending school at Madison,. Wisconsin, and will graduate this year with the
degree of Ph. D., and A. L. Worley, now the widow of Mr. W. H. Fanning.
A picture of the "Lone Tree
Ranch" is presented on another page.
Christopher C. Thompson was born on a farm in Grant county, Wisconsin. August 12, 1849, which his father, Uriah Thompson, had very successfully developed. The father was American born and bred, a man of vast energy and mighty force of character, who when he was advanced in years became interested in Nebraska land, and coming to Cherry county, located a homestead, on which he died at the great age of eighty-one years. His wife, Elizabeth Harrison, also belonged to an old American family, and was a worthy associate of her energetic and capable husband. She was a cousin of the late President Benjamin Harrison, and a descendant of his illustrious grandfather. They had seven children born to them, of whom Christopher C. was next to the oldest.
The subject of this article was reared to manhood on the Wisconsin homestead, and as a lad was familiar with all kinds of hard work that naturally attended the development of a farm in that wooded country, helping his father clear the land. When a young man he found employment in the lumber camps and among the mills of the great pine country, and for fourteen years was mainly engaged in lumbering and rafting two hundred miles above Minneapolis. When he had reached the age of twenty-seven, years. Mr. Thompson left Wisconsin, and traveled very extensively through the west and southwest, in Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, the Dakotas, Montana and Idaho, working on the range and starting in cattle raising, but finally elected Nebraska as the country that offered him the greatest opportunity for the investment of such capital of character and money as he could make.
Mr. Thompson was married in Saunders county, April 6, 1877, to Miss Eliza Hannaman, whose parents, Thomas and Sarah (Brazel) Hannaman, were American born and bred, and devoted to rural life. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson became the parents of a numerous family of eleven children, of whom the three older girls, Cora, Florence and Rita, are married; John is at home; Edward is in South Dakota; the other children, Daniel, Nettie, Walter, Nernie, Etta and William, are still under the parental roof tree. All the children, with the exception of Florence, were born in Nebraska.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Thompson settled in Smith county and later in Decatur, Kansas, and tried farming, but an exceeding drouth could not be resisted, and they simply had to move out or die. They located in Saunders county, Nebraska. for the winter of 1884, and for two or three years following lived in Loup county. Nebraska, their place being some forty miles from the railroad. On more than one occasion in hauling supplies or grain Mr. Thompson has camped out over night and slept under the wagon, not an uncommon experience by any means on the frontier in those days.
In 1889 Mr. Thompson settled on a
ranch near Hackberry Lake, some thirty miles southwest of
Valentine, and began a cattle business for himself. Much success
has attended his careful management, and he now has about one
hundred and fifty head of cattle and nearly a hundred horses. He
raises thoroughbred race horses, and in the fall of 1906 took
first prize in every race in which he entered his famous horse
Blue Hawk. He stocked the lake and it has now become one of the
best fishing points in the west. After spending some eleven years
on the ranch he accepted a very favorable offer for its sale, and
disposing of his interests here he spent some time in traveling
through the northwest with his family in Montana. After spending
some five months, principally in the Flathead country, he returned
to Cherry county, and bought the farm where he is to be found at
the present time, well satisfied that taking all things into
consideration it is difficult to find a better region than
Nebraska for a man who is alive and anxious to get on in the
world. He owns six hundred acres fronting on the Niobrara river,
and affording every opportunity for stock raising, gardening and
general farming. In this tract are included the mouth of Gordon
creek, and two other streams that rise from copious springs. One
hundred acres of the land are under irrigation, and abundant crops
are insured without much regard to the local rainfall. The ranch
affords abundant timber both for fuel and building purposes, with
wild and tame fruits, among which are some three hundred thrifty
There is also rock for building and other requisites in ample supply. Altogether it is one of the most desirable agricultural establishments in northwestern Nebraska, and has been brought up to a high pitch of fertility by its energetic and capable owner.
In political matters Mr. Thompson takes an entirely independent position, and votes for the best men regardless of partisan considerations. He is a typical Nebraskan, and is highly respected by all who know him.
F. H. Kyser was born in Shiawassee county, Michigan. His father and mother, both natives of New York state, settled in Oakland county when they were children, about the year 1836, and grew up there, going through all the pioneer hardships while that state was still a territory, and when moving from Michigan to Nebraska drove the entire distance in a wagon. Our subject's grandfather, Louis Kyser, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died in Oakland county, where his wife also died. His grandfather on his mother's side, Louis Ames, was also a pioneer in Oakland county and died there, as did his wife, who was Ellen Joslyn prior to her marriage. After the death of her husband she married Croston Lockwood, and our subject's youngest brother took the name of Martin Lockwood. He is now a merchant at Portsmouth, Ohio, and owns some land in Phelps county, this state, which he homesteaded many years ago.
Mr. Kyser was married to Miss Minnie Pierce, daughter of John P. Pierce, homesteaders near our subject's farm, who located in Phelps county in 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Kyser have two sons, George and John.
When Mr. Kyser first came to Albany township he was the only Republican voter in the locality, and since that time it has been steadily growing Republican until nearly every voter is of that party. He has been on the county committee different times, and has been one of the active workers in the county for the cause.
Mr. Hadley was born in Sterling, Massachusetts, in 1841. His father, Ebenezer Hadley, was a farmer by occupation, of English descent, born in Massachusetts. He married Mary Ann Holmes, and the family for many years lived in Massachusetts and later in New Hampshire, where our subject was reared and educated. At the age of fourteen years he left home, following a sailor's fortunes on fishing boats along the Atlantic coast, continuing at this up to June, 1861, when he enlisted in Company H, Second Rhode Island Infantry. He was in the Army of the Potomac during the whole term of service, and saw much hard fighting, participating in many famous actions. He first enlisted May 5, 1861, and was mustered out in 1863. He then re-enlisted at once to serve during the balance of the war at Brandy Station, Virginia. He was badly wounded at the battle of the Wilderness. Mr. Hadley was mustered out in 1865, and then went to Boston where he worked on the street railway and remained there for twenty years, part of the time driving hack. During this time he had his body tattooed and afterwards traveled with circuses and was on exhibition at different museums all over the United States, almost every part of his body being covered with tattooing except his face. He is an authority on this work, having made a careful study of its principles, and has
written various articles relating to the subject. In April, 1887, Mr. Hadley came to Nebraska and located in Sheridan county, arriving in Hay Springs on April 21st of that year. He filed on a tract of land in section 19, township 26, range 46, Sheridan county, on landing here, putting up a sod shanty, where he "batched it" for quite a while. In 1889 he was joined by his wife and they together started to make a home. About this time the drouths began to effect this region and the hard times they experienced caused them to give up struggling to make a living there. There were many times when for six months all they had to subsist on was corn meal and bread and milk, while for meat they had to depend on the wild game our subject could kill with his gun, and often were they obliged to suffer the pangs of hunger. He finally gave up and abandoned his homestead, moving to his brother's farm in Box Butte county. There he did well, paid up all of his old debts and made money. In 1898 he sold off his personal property and emigrated to Arkansas, driving overland all of the way, camping out along the road, but after locating did not like the country, so only remained a short time, and then returned to Nebraska, purchasing his present farm situated in section 22, township 26, range 47. Here he has fixed everything up in good shape, has nice buildings, fences, planted orchards, etc. Forty acres are under cultivation and he raises small grain, potatoes and corn. He has done exceedingly well, and is considered well-to-do, owning besides this farm some property at Alliance.
In 1880 Mr. Hadley was married to Miss Elizabeth Metz, and to them have been born four children, namely: Valentine, who is married, now living in Box Butte county; Fred A., John B. and Violet M., who still live with their parents, making a congenial family and a happy home.
Mr. Hadley is a broad-minded, well informed man, and is a typical representative of his part of the country, - has seen nearly all parts of this country, having traveled extensively during his younger years, and is an interesting character.
He votes the Democratic ticket, and his wife is a stronger Democrat than he is. The Hadley home is a fine place for the traveler, and the visitor is royally entertained.
Mr. Williams is a native of Mercer county, Illinois, and was brought up in Cook county, that state. His father, Thomas Williams, was born in Wales, who came to this country when a young man, settling in the middle states during the pioneer days. In 1888 our subject came west, locating at Denver, and began to work for the Union Pacific railroad, and since that time has been with the company continuously, acting in the capacity of brakeman and conductor, traveling between North Platte and Cheyenne, North Platte and Denver. In 1894 he moved to North Platte, and has since resided here. He owns a nice home and the family is highly respected and esteemed by all who know them. Since Mr. Williams commenced with the Union Pacific railroad people he has been very successful in his work, and gained the confidence and trust of his employers, and has never had the misfortune to have an accident on his line.
Mr. Williams was married in 1890 to Miss Sarah Wagstaff, born in Dundas, Ontario, Canada, daughter of Walter and Sarah Wagstaff, the latter born in Dublin, Ireland, of Scotch blood. Walter Dundas was born in Niagara, Canada, also of Scotch blood. Mr. and Mrs. Williams have no family. The former's mother resides with him, her maiden name having been Isabelle Holsworth.
Mr. Williams is a member of the Order of Railway Conductors, Lodge No. 35, of North Platte, and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias.
Mr. Howard was born in Clark county, Missouri, in December, 1839. His father, Isaac Howard, was of old American stock, born and raised in Virginia, who married Miss Elizabeth Morris, of Kentucky, the latter dying April 7, 1907, at the advanced age of eighty-nine years and five months. At this writing the father is still living in Iowa and is ninety years old. Our subject's grandfather and great-grandfather were also American born, the latter serving in the Revolutionary War.
When our subject was twelve years of age the family moved to Iowa, where he grew to manhood on a farm, helping his parents in all the hard work of building up a farm and home in a new country, and attending the country
schools where he received his early education, later attending college at Birmingham, Iowa. Our subject enlisted in Company H, Third Iowa Cavalry, August 15, 1861, served during the war. being first mustered out January 1, 1864, and then re-entering the service was finally mustered out August 9, 1865. Mr. Howard, was truly a war veteran, seeing service though Georgia and Alabama and all through the south and west. He started farming in Iowa in 1866 and remained there up to 1885, then came to Dawes county, filing on a homestead in section 1, township 32, range 51. At that time the railroad was only laid as far as Chadron. He spent three years here, starting his farm, and "batching it," part of the time working at the carpenter's trade, his first house being a plank shanty 12 x 14 in size and lived in this shack for two years, then his family joined him here and they built up a good home and farm. In Iowa Mr. Howard was a pioneer and handled ox teams, leading a regular frontierman's (sic) life, then came to Nebraska and went through the same experiences, so that nearly his entire lifetime has been spent in building up a new country. In Iowa he lived in different counties, - Van Buren, Madison and Warren county. After coming to Nebraska he met with failures of crops, caused by drouths, and had many discouragements, but has succeeded in accumulating a nice property, and owns one thousand two hundred acres of land, which includes a son's homestead. He cultivates sixty acres, and has a seventy-acre field of alfalfa, engaging quite extensively in stock raising, running seventy head of cattle and fourteen horses. His place is well improved with good buildings, fences, etc., and he has plenty of timber, water and fruit.
Mr. Howard is now serving as assessor for his district. He has been justice of the peace for several years, also on the school board for sixteen years, and was one of the organizers of. different schools in his section. He is a strong Republican.
Mr. Howard was united in marriage in Iowa in 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Moore, daughter of Littleton L. Moore, a retired farmer and old settler in Van Buren county. Mrs. Howard was born in Ohio in 1845, and she died in Dawes county May 28. 1905. leaving a family of seven children, named as follows: Walter C., Minnie M., Lula M., Arthur E., Earl V., William N., and Mabel (deceased)
Mr. Berry was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, at New Salem, in 1852, and was raised there until twelve years of age. His father, who died in 1856, was a native of Ohio, farmer by occupation, and his mother, who was Lydia Moyer prior to her marriage, was of German descent, and two years after his father's death she was married to Samuel Stuart. The family came to Sheridan, Iowa, in 1865, where his stepfather engaged in the general merchandise business, freighting his goods from Eddyville, thirty-seven miles. They lived there for a year, then moved on a farm, still continuing the merchandise business at Sheridan. At the age of twenty-one he left his mother's home and went to Mills county, where he worked on the Strahn farm, in that county, and at twenty-three began working on the railroad, which he followed up to 1875. He had a brother-in-law in Nebraska at that time who wrote our subject to come on, so he came through to see the country and liked the place so well that he took a tree claim in section 1, township 24, range 45, and later a pre-emption in section 3, also homestead in section 8, holding all three, besides an additional four hundred and eighty acres. He came here with the stock raising idea, so started in and increased his stock as fast as possible, buying his first cattle with money which he earned from picking up bones on his farm. He has kept on in the cattle business ever since, and has had good success from the start, and added to his land until he owns three thousand five hundred acres, farming a little each year, but devoting most of his time to his stock. When he first located here he intended to stay for a year and a half, but has made this his home for the past twenty years, and is contented to stay for the balance of his life. When he arrived his sole capital was seventy-five dollars in money and his household goods, and he began by milking cows to support his family, and still ships some cream during the summers. He runs three hundred and fifty cattle and one hundred and twenty-five horses all the time. He has started some alfalfa and brome grass on his farm, and expects to make a success of it, as the soil is well adapted for its culture.
In 1875 Mr. Berry was married to Miss Louisa B. Wilson, of Lucas county, Iowa. To Mr. and Mrs. Berry have been born the following children: Minnie L., Fannie L., Todd P., Nellie
F., Myrtle E., Manchie R. and Omar, the last mentioned having died when a young child. All of their children are married and living near the old homestead except one. Mr. Berry has erected a very fine frame dwelling on his farm, all fitted in up-to-date style with modern conveniences, good barns, out buildings, etc. Mr. Berry came to this locality in November of the year 1888, and in February of the following year he organized a school district, and they have always had a good school for their children ever since, located about a mile from the homestead. He is always interested in whatever is for the benefit of the people of his community, and is one of the public-spirited citizens of his locality, voting for the best man regardless of party. At one time Mr. Berry was engaged in the confectionery business in Iowa, but only carried that on for a short time. He is an exceptionally good business man, possessing good judgment and enjoys the confidence and esteem of his fellowmen to a marked degree.
An interesting picture is
presented on another page, showing the typical sod house of Mr.
Berry and family, erected in 1891.
Mr. Hermsmeyer was born April 19, 1840, in the village of Valldorf, Province of Westfal, in the kingdom of Prussia. He was reared on his father's farm, and served in the German army through two wars, that with Denmark in 1864, and with Austria in 1866 and 1867. After his time of service in the army expired he worked on a farm there for a season. In 1867 he was married to Miss Louisa Steinmeyer, daughter of Ernest Steinmeyer, a merchant in Valldorf. With his young wife he came to America that year, sailing from Bremen in the ship America in the latter part of September and landing about the first of October in New York. Immediately on landing they went to Philadelphia, where Mr. Hermsmeyer worked for Ernst Steinmeyer, a brother-in-law, in his store for one year and seven months. Coming west he located in Missouri, twenty miles from Washington, where he farmed for four years. In 1873 he moved his family to Iowa and remained eleven years, acquiring a farm of eighty acres in Cherokee county. He at first came to Brown county, Nebraska, in 1884, settling on a homestead near Ainsworth, also filing on a tree claim, which now constitutes a part of his estate. He put up a frame house and went to work building up his farm, and was just starting when the drouth came on and his crops were ruined for several years in succession; hailstorms, then prevalent throughout this region, destroyed another crop entirely. He also suffered heavy losses by the death of horses in these early days, and altogether these years were times of hardships and privations, the family becoming well-nigh discouraged. After many years of earnest effort and perseverance times changed, he began to lay up a little money, and continued to improve his farm, putting up good buildings, gradually added to his acreage until before his death, which occurred April 27, 1906, he was owner of six and a half quarter sections of good land, well improved. He had planted a large number of trees, forming a fine grove surrounding his farm buildings, with a good house and excellent equipment for the operating of a model farm.
When Mr. Hermsmeyer first came to this locality there were only two stores in Ainsworth, and the country surrounding was very sparsely populated. He and his family were about the first to settle in this neighborhood, where he has done his full share in the building up of the community and aiding in the development of the agricultural interests.
At his death Mr. Hermsmeyer left a family of five children, namely: Fred, who married Doretta Schelm, of Iowa; Henry, Alvina, wife of Albert Miles, Carl and Ida, three of whom are living with their mother on the homestead. In politics Mr. Hermsmeyer was a Democrat; the family are communicants of the Lutheran church..
county, landing in the region in the spring of the year 1888. Here he took a homestead, proved up on the same and then sold out. He later took a Kincaid claim of four hundred and eighty acres, situated on section 22, township 14, range 54, and also owns another quarter section, besides controlling some leased school land and an interest in a half section in the township in which he lives.
Mr. Gunderson has built up a fine ranch, which is devoted almost exclusively to stock raising, running about two thousand five hundred head of sheep each year. He has made a success of the sheep business and is one of the most prominent ranchmen in the county. He has put many improvements on his place, and has plenty of hay and pasture for his stock, also has about seventy acres under cultivation.
Mr. Gunderson was married to Belle Snyder, in Harrisburg, Banner county, Nebraska, on November 16, 1891. She is a native of Iowa, where she was raised. Mrs. Gunderson's father is dead, and her mother now resides in Tennessee. Three children have come to bless their union, named as follows: Aye I., Effie and Mervin, all at home.
Since locating in this region Mr. Gunderson has been unceasing in his efforts to assist in booming every laudable enterprise in the community, and as a citizen he has shown himself broad-minded and public-spirited to the last degree. He takes a deep interest in school affairs, and is now serving as director of district No. 26. Politically he is a Republican.
Mr. Gebhart was born in Cass county, Illinois, in 1863, of German parentage, the father being a native of Alsace, Germany, while the mother was born in Hesse, they coming to America as young people. Our subject was reared in Illinois, receiving a common school education, and at the age of twenty-three struck out for himself, coming to Nebraska, locating in Perkins county, and filed on a homestead on section 30, township 10, range 38. In the spring of 1887 he came with his family and built a shanty eight by twelve feet, and spent the first year in it. He was here when the county was organized and the location of the county seat was decided upon. During the dry years Mr. Gebhart lost several crops, and went through hard times in getting his farm started. He gradually improved his place in good shape and has accumulated a nice property, having a ranch of eight hundred acres of deeded land, with about the same amount leased. This he has fitted up with good buildings of all kinds, and cultivates about one hundred and fifty acres, devoting the balance to pasture and hayland. His residence is situated on section 31, where he moved in 1906. He runs quite a large bunch of stock, and is one of the progressive agriculturists and stockmen of the vicinity.
Mr. Gebhart was married in 1887 to Miss Mary Blome, who was born near Petersburg, Illinois, of German parents. They have three children, named as follows: Ella, Bertha and Ralph. Our subject is a strong Republican, and is active in politics in his locality.
Mr. Hewett was born in Ohio in 1831. His father, Harvey Hewett, was a native of Maine, a farmer by occupation, and his mother, Miriam (Hunt) Hewett, was also born and raised in Maine. When our subject was six years of age his parents came west, locating in Illinois with their family of three boys and three girls, of whom he is the third member. At the age of twenty-one he got the gold fever and started for the gold mines of Oregon, and remained in the west until 1857, when he returned to Illinois and lived there until 1885, but never liked the country as a money-making proposition. He was for a time engaged in the farming and stock raising business in Illinois, and then in 1885 came to Sheridan county, Nebraska, settling on section 11, township 33, range 43, where he still lives. This ranch comprises three hundred and twenty acres of deeded
land, and part of it is devoted to farming and the balance to hay and pasture land.
During the dry years, from 1891 to 1899, he stuck to farming until he lost about everything he had through failure of his crops, then gave it up and went into the stock business, and since the beginning of the better years he has been very successful in both farming and stock raising. In 1906 his wheat crop yielded twenty-six bushels to the acre, and his rye crop turned out equally as well. He has done exceedingly well since coming here, and although he has seen his share of hardships and discouragements he is satisfied that he has done much better than he could have done anywhere else, where he would have been obliged to rent land instead of coming where he could get it free. He has worked hard, and now would like to take it a little easy, and should he receive a fair offer for his farm, would sell and move to town. His place is well improved with a complete set of substantial farm buildings, and everything is run in a businesslike manner and shows evidence of good management and thrift.
In 1859 Mr. Hewett was married to Miss Hannah W. Morey, born in Fulton county, Illinois, in 1839. Her father, Amos Morey, was born and raised in Maine while that state was still a province, and her mother was a native of New York state. The parents of both Mr. and Mrs. Hewett were among the early settlers of Illinois, locating there in 1837. Four children have been born to our subject and his wife, who are named as follows: Alice Coralinn, Bruce H., Frank M. and Clarence M.
In political faith Mr. Hewett is a Republican.
Mr. Hollenbeck is a native of Wayne county, West Virginia, born May 7, 1852. His father, Henry Hollenbeck, was born in Virginia in 1812, and his grandfather was a soldier in the war of that date, as was also his great-grandfather, in the Revolutionary war. The mother, Margaret Ricketts, was born in Maryland. The Hollenbeck family were among the early settlers in the eastern states during the colonial days. Of a family of eight children our subject is the sixth member, and was reared in West Virginia until 1865, when the family moved to Iroquois county, Illinois. At the age of eleven or twelve years he started in life for himself in West Virginia, and has made his own way ever since. His older brothers served in the Civil war. The family moved to Illinois in 1865, and there he followed farm labor for several years, herding cattle at times and tilled rented land for a few years. In 1883 he came west and settled in what is now Keya Paha county, Nebraska, taking a homestead in section 33, township 33, range 19. The following year he started to improve his place, putting up a board shanty, and other rude buildings. He had not much to start with, but owned a team of mules, and began cultivating his land, but the dry years soon came on and two crop in succession were ruined, which was a heavy loss to him in those times. He had to cope with the disadvantages of those early days, being obliged to haul supplies many miles through unbroken country, and with none of the improvements to make things easy to work with.
His ranch now comprises one
thousand forty acres divided in two pieces, and excepting the
homestead which he took when he first settled here has been
purchased outright. Three hundred acres of this is cultivated, and
the balance is in pasture and grass land. The farm is improved
with substantial buildings, all fenced, and is one of the most
valuable in the locality. A view of the place will be found on
During Mr. Hollenbeck's life he has been engaged in many enterprises and has been very successful in all his undertakings, owing to his strict integrity and honest dealings, and has won the respect and esteem of his fellowmen by his sterling character.
He held the office of justice of
the peace since 1885 excepting three or four years, and proved a
most efficient official. He has also held different school offices
and is always actively interested in all matters which tend