Morris grew to manhood, attending the country schools and assisting his parent in carrying on their farm. He lived there up to 1885, then came to Dawes county and took up a tract of land on section 21, township 30, ran 50, as a pre-emption. When he landed here he had no money, driving by team from the eastern part of the state. His first dwelling place was a sod shanty while living in the eastern part of the state, and on coming farther west he put up a log cabin on his claim and lived in that for some years. Here he witnessed the drouths, losing crops for several years, also visited by the grasshopper raids in Merrick county, and it was hard for him to get a start. However, he kept at work and finally things grew better and he was able to get together considerable stock and build up his farm in good shape. He has erected a good set of farm building, three wells and windmills, and the ranch is all fenced and well supplied with natural timber.
Mr. Reed was united in marriage while living in Merrick county to Almyra J. Boyce. Mrs. Reed is a daughter of S. J. Boyce, a mechanic, of Vermont, he having come west in 1885, and her mother's maiden name was Mary Caswell, also of Vermont. Mr. And Mrs Reed have two children, namely: Ralph, aged twenty years, and Earl, aged eleven years: also one stepson, D. Miller.
The family enjoy a comfortable and happy home and are regarded as among the old-timers of the locality. Mr. Reed has always done his share in local affairs, acting as school treasurer for five years, and is an active public-spirited citizen. He is a good neighbor and his influence is felt in all movements for the bettering of conditions in his community. Politically he is an Independent.
In 1860 Mr. McMichael was married to Miss Mary Leckey, of Butler County, Pennsylvania, whose family were pioneer settler in that locality. Children resulted from this union, as follows: James A., builder and contractor, also of North Platte, and a rising young business man; Benton, Clyde, both builders and contractors in this town; Howard, in the same business, located in Loveland, Colorado: John, of Hyannis, Nebraska; George of Atlantic, Iowa, secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association at that place, who devotes his whole attention to this noble work: Effie, wife of John Krountz, residing in North Platte; and Jennie, who lives at home with her father, the mother having died in July 1905.
Mr. McMichael is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at North Platte, and hold the office of trustee, which he filled for many years, and he is an earnest worker in that institution. He is a Republican.
The above firm consisting of Thomas and Robert Holding, are extensive ranchmen in Dawes county, Nebraska, where for many years past they have aided in the development of the agricultural and commercial resources of their section, and have incidentally built up a valuable ranch in section 25, township 31, range 51, and gained an enviable reputation as energetic workers and good business men.
Compendium of History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska
Thomas Holding was born in Lancashire county, England, March 19, 1866, and Robert was born at the same place October 21, 1867, there being but eighteen months difference in their ages. The father, also Thomas Holding, was a stone mason by trade, and lived in England all his life, his death occurring in 1887. He married Dorothy Lawrence, of Lancashire county, and three of her brothers were early settlers in Illinois, coming to this country in the '50s. Our subjects were reared in their native land and came to America in 1884, settling in Illinois, Robert remaining for some years, while in 1888 Thomas returned to England, where he was married to Miss Mary Jane Wearing, whose father, Richard Wearing, was a large cotton mill manager, both Thomas and Robert having worked in the cotton mills before coming to this country. The former remained in England for three years after his marriage, then came back to America, locating in Dawes county, Nebraska, where Robert had settled in 1889. He had a very small start, and had borrowed money to put in his first crop, and "batched it" until his brother came to join him, and the brothers have worked together ever since then. They have built up a good ranch consisting of one thousand acres, situated along West Ash creek, and have good buildings, fences, and all improvements, and are engaged in the raising of hay and alfalfa, and cultivate about eighty acres, on which they raise small grains. They run quite a large number of cattle, hogs and horses, and are considered among the foremost farmers and ranchmen of Dawes county, highly esteemed by everyone with whom they have to do. They have a considerable part of their land under irrigation, and it is a valuable property.
From the time of coming to this locality they have done their full share in every movement for the advancement of their county's interest, and are among the leading old settlers of Dawes county.
Thomas Holding has one son, Tom L., Jr., aged fifteen years.
WILLIS H. PULLEN.
One of the leading old settlers of Dawes county, Nebraska, is the gentleman whose name heads this review. His labors in this section have aided materially the development of the region, and his name will occupy a prominent place in history as one of those intimately identified with its growth and progress.
Mr. Pullen was born in Michigan, May 11, 1858. His father, J. H. Pullen, was a farmer and old settler in Dawes county, born in Michigan, and he married Miss Aurilla Rowley, whose parents were pioneers in Michigan, where she was reared and educated. When our subject was two years old his parents came to Nebraska, settling near Omaha, the father securing employment as a mule driver for the United States government, the country all around here being then a perfect wilderness. They lived in the eastern part of the state for many years, Willis receiving his education there, also assisting his parents in carrying on the farm work, and when he was twenty-one years of age he married and started farming for himself in Burt county, remaining on the farm for a year, then moved into the town of Decatur, Burt county, Nebraska, where he worked as a mail carrier, traveling between that place and Onawa, Iowa, and followed this up to the fall of 1884. The following year he came to Dawes county, arriving here April 3d, driving through by team, camping out along the road during the trip. He located four miles north of Crawford, where he built a log house in which he lived for seven years, proving up on their homestead, and often working under difficulties, being obliged to do all the work of the farm with a team of mules. In the fall of 1885 he shipped in a car load of cattle, and this was his start in the stock business, at once engaging in dairying, cheese making and poultry raising. He had nothing to begin with, and depended entirely on his own unaided efforts, and from such a start has accumulated a nice property, and has a comfortable and pleasant home. About 1891 or 1892 he moved into the town of Crawford and for two or three years was in the dairy business. He next moved to the Fort Robinson reservation and was in the same line of work for about thirteen years. He purchased his present farm, located in section 22, township 31, range 52, in 1899, consisting of four hundred and eighty acres, with eighty acres cultivated, and has twelve acres under irrigation. He also owns a ranch of one thousand two hundred and eighty acres sixteen miles west on Head Soldier creek, Sioux county, with one of the finest never failing springs in the county, and there he runs a large herd of cattle. He keeps a hundred horses, and has his place in the finest shape possible, with good buildings and improvements. He has a fine orchard of apples, cherries and plums, also gooseberry and strawberry patches, which furnish the family with plenty of fruit.
Mr. Pullen was united in marriage
while living in Burt county, to Miss Estella Heath, who was a
school teacher in the county schools. Her father was Marvin H.
Heath, of American stock, a farmer by occupation, and her mother's
maiden name was Lucy Smith, of Vermont. To Mr. and Mrs. Pullen
four children have been born, namely: Effie, Clarence and Leslie,
born in Burt county, and Mildred, born in Crawford, Dawes county,
Nebraska. Portraits of the family will be found on another page of
WILLIAM P. S. THOMPSON.
The gentleman here named, one of the oldtimers in western Nebraska, who has spent many years in the work of building up a farm and home in the agricultural district surrounding the town of Johnstown, Brown county, is a prominent citizen and good neighbor, highly esteemed by all who know him.
Mr. Thompson was born in Morgan county, Ohio, April 21, 1855. He is a son of Ellis Thompson, a farmer of Irish descent, and his mother was Miss Martha Roundsen, of German lineage; they raised a family of six children, our subject being the third member. The family moved to Wisconsin about 1858, where he was reared and educated, attending the country schools and assisting his father in the farm work until he was twenty years of age. At this time he left home and started out for himself, continuing in farm work for six years.
He moved to Brown county in November, 1883, having filed on his land the fall of 1882, and settled on the farm he now occupies, located in section 3, township 30, range 23; it consists of three hundred and twenty acres in the home place and one hundred and sixty acres in section 34. This place was utterly without improvements, and the family was obliged to live the first winter in a house belonging to Byron Chase, a brother of Mrs. Thompson. In the spring of 1884, he put up a frame house and began breaking up land for a crop; the first being only nine acres of wheat which gave a fairly good yield. He was just getting nicely started when the dry years came on, losing the whole of one crop and saving but little of two others. These were hard times for him, and he became almost discouraged, often ready to give up his farm, but went bravely on, gradually getting better crops and building up his place; he has been richly rewarded for his perseverance and industry, for he is now proprietor of a farm of four hundred and eighty acres, one hundred and eighty acres of which is highly cultivated, raising splendid crops, and the balance is used for pasture and hay land. He has erected a complete set of substantial farm buildings, consisting of a neat, substantial house, fitted with every convenience and comfort of a rural home, also in 1906 built a large barn, size thirty-two by forty-two feet; there are a number of smaller buildings, sheds, etc., and all machinery necessary for the successful operation of a model farm. Not the least noteworthy features are a large orchard and many forest trees well distributed on the farm. October 14, 1876, Mr. Thompson was married to Miss Nettie Chase, a native of Wisconsin. Her father, Murray Chase, was a carpenter by trade, and later a farmer, being one of the pioneer settlers in the Badger state. He came to Brown county in the early days, his death occurring here July 14, 1897. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Thompson, named as follows: Carrie A. (deceased), Stella L., Cora A., Emma G., and Lutheria A. and William A. (deceased), the three eldest born in Wisconsin, and the younger ones in Brown county. Cora is the wife of John Castleman and the mother of two children, Mildred M. and William C.
Mr. Thompson came to this locality with but small capital, and has gathered together a comfortable competence through his untiring energy and good business judgment; he is now prepared to enjoy the fruits of his labors and take it easy for the balance of his years, surrounded by his family and many warm friends. He takes a personal interest in all affairs and lends his influence for the bettering of conditions in his community. Mr. Thompson is Independent in politics, is a member of the Methodist church and affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America of Johnstown.
ALBERT S. ROSS.
Albert S. Ross, residing on section 17 of township 16, range 42, Deuel county, was born in Lee county, Iowa, on the 30th of March, 1860, being the seventh in a family of eleven children, of whom another, Mrs. Brunt, is a resident of Deuel county.
In the early spring of 1884, the emigration
fever took possession of him, and he went westward, settling for a short time in Otoe county, Nebraska, and then in Buffalo county, of the same state. In the fall of the same year he moved to Perkins county, which at that time was called Keith county, where he took up a homestead and having proved up on same, went to Deuel county in the year 1890. He settled at Bigspring, going back and forth from there to the place of his present residence. In 1900 he moved into the vicinity of Lewellen for permanent residence, while the home ranch is located on section 17, township 16, range 42, and contains one hundred and twenty acres, of which one hundred acres are under cultivation.
Like every other early settler of western Nebraska, Mr. Ross was not spared from the trials, hardships and troubles of frontier life, but his zealousness and untiring efforts were crowned with success and to-day Mr. Ross can look back on these times of troubles and trials with the clear conscience that he has done the right thing by everybody.
Mr. Ross is married to Sara Clarke, a native of Pennsylvania, whose mother is still living in that state. The wedding ceremony took place in North Platte on February 15, 1903. They have three children, namely: Mary E., Ida and Richard, who are all at home.
Mr. Ross, a Republican, is well known and well liked and having the interest and welfare of his county and state at heart, he was elected county commissioner in the fall of 1904, and re-elected in 1907 for a term of three years., now serving on his second term.
Mr. Ross was a bachelor at the time he took up his claim and passed through the "ups and downs" incident to bachelor life on the frontier. He has been engaged in farming practically all the time since coming to Nebraska.
Mrs. Ross came to western Nebraska in 1887 and she too has experienced the vicissitudes of pioneer life on the frontier.
Fred Schipporeit, one of the leading and most influential stock raisers of Blaine county, was born in East Prussia, Germany, in 1865. His father, Christian, was born in Germany and served in the German army in the war with France in 1870 and 1871. The mother's maiden name was Henriette Schnidereit. Our subject's father was a boatman and farmer in his native land.
In 1876 the whole family came to America, landing in New York city, from whence they came west and lived in the city of Omaha for eight years, the father finding employment in the packing houses of that great city. In 1884 the family came to Blaine county, Nebraska, being the first family that settled in German Valley. North Loup, eighty-five miles away, was their nearest railroad point, and our subject has made many trips over this distance for supplies, sleeping under the wagon in all kinds of weather in both winter and summer. For timber and poles they had to go to Snake creek, in Cherry county, and these trips required nine days. The first three months the family slept under the wagon tent and wagon box and then moved into a new sod house. They located on land north of Brewster, where our subject and his father were together for several years, and then the son came to his present beautiful farm. He now owns one thousand four hundred and forty acres and the father, who now lives with the son, has nearly a thousand acres.
Fred Schipporeit was married in the year 1889 to Miss Anna Wendt, daughter of Ferdinand and Emily (Schmeling) Wendt, old settlers of Blaine county. Mr. and Mrs. Schipporeit have eight children: Clara, Edward, Fred, Annie, Lottie, Rudolph, Otto and Walter.
Mr. Schipporeit had to experience his full share of hardships that usually fell to the lot of the pioneer of his section. He had to live in a sod house for years - he witnessed several years of drouth and crop failures and had other losses; but he always made a living and kept steadily adding to the improvements of his farm. He has a good house, thirty by thirty-two feet, two stories high, and very fine barn, wells, windmills, fences, and many other improvements that go to make up an up-to-date ranch. He is engaged largely in stock raising and is making a great success. He has always been public-spirited and has taken great interest in matters of local affairs, having held various offices in his community. He was assessor one term. Mr. Schipporeit is regarded as one of Blaine county's most successful citizens and is highly regarded by his friends and associates. Scheding postoffice was established on our subject's farm in 1907, and kept in his house.
SAMUEL J. HETH.
Samuel J. Heth, who may be found in fair weather or foul, busy in the work of his farm in section 13, township 33, range 29, is widely
known as one of the active and progressive young farmers of Cherry county, Nebraska, and is rapidly taking a fine position in the business and commercial circles of the day. Quick and positive in his conclusions, he is as prompt in action, and has acquired an enviable reputation as a prosperous and successful farmer and a thoroughly reliable and public-spirited citizen.
Mr. Heth was born on a farm in Benton county, Iowa, March 4, 1874, and was reared to agricultural pursuits. From the first he was familiar with hard work, and when his father, Horace L. Heth, came into Cherry county in 1884, and opened a homestead farm on the Niobrara river, he found his ten-year-old son a very considerable assistance in his pressing and multifarious activities.
Mr. Heth struck out for himself at the very early age of fourteen years, and from that time has carried the burden of his own support. As a lad he sought employment wherever he could obtain it, working in Wyoming in 1893 and in Kansas three years later, and he has worked, as he declares, all over Cherry county. In 1898 he secured a homestead entry on one hundred and sixty acres of choice government land, only nine miles from Valentine, on the Niobrara river, where in company with his brother, Ernest, he built a log house of good size, keeping "batch" for lack of a housekeeper. Their outfit was small, only three horses and a few farming tools; but their courage was large, and they have built up a very desirable property. In 1905 the brothers "proved up" on their homestead, and very promptly sold it, the subject of this sketch taking a Kincaid homestead of four hundred and eighty acres in section 13, while Ernest located on the hay lands further south. Here he owns four hundred and eighty acres, on which he has a good concrete house and barn, and other farm buildings well suited to his needs, with a fine well and a windmill. All the land is fenced with forty acres under cultivation, which by his careful management is becoming very valuable property.
Mr. Heth was married June 7, 1902, to Miss Hannah Petersen, whose parents, Jens and Kirsten (Jensen) Petersen, were natives of Denmark. She was born in Worth, Iowa, coming with her parents to Cherry county, Nebraska, in 1893. Jens Petersen, her father, was one of the successful pioneers in the county. To the marriage of Samuel Heth and wife have come two children, Pearl and Merton. Mr. Heth was reared in the Methodist church, while Mrs. Heth is an adherent of the Lutheran faith.
Ernest Heth, who is mentioned above as associated with his brother in their various farming operations, was born in Tama county, Iowa, October 25, 1870, where when he was but ten months old he met with accidental injuries which made him a cripple for life. He is ambitious and capable, and is not disposed to favor himself on account of his crippled condition save where he is compelled to do so. He has many friends and is a worthy companion of his brother. He sold his interest in the homestead in October, 1907.
Peter Bahr, a prominent farmer of Keya Paha county, Nebraska, is one of the men in this section of the country who carries on a diversified system of agriculture in a most successful manner, with a result that richly rewards his thrift and industry. Mr. Bahr was born in Pomerania, Germany, September 24, 1852. His father, mother and brothers are still living in Germany, he being the only one of his family to leave the fatherland and emigrate to the new world. He remained at home attending the common schools until he was fourteen years old, then began as a sailor and followed that work for seven years. During the time he was sailing he visited North and South America, China, Japan, Australia, and was all over the globe, and this was a liberal education in itself., He gave up the work at the age of twenty-one years, and struck out for the United States; he left Brazil with the intention of making a visit with an old schoolmate in Richardson county, Nebraska, they having kept up a correspondence during his years on the sea. After a visit with his old boyhood friend he decided to settle in Richardson county, in 1873, and in the spring of 1875 rented a farm, on which he remained until 1883, when he first came to Keya Paha county, locating on a farm at the mouth of Wyman creek, driving from Stuart. His first building was a log house, which he erected himself on a homestead, and he lived there up to about 1894, proving up on his claim, then moved to section 33, township 33, range 19, remaining on the latter place for two years. At the end of this time he purchased his present home in section 31, township 33, range 19, known as the Hamilton Sidner place, situated at the head of Wyman creek. He has added to this until at the present time he owns five hundred and sixty acres of deeded land, and has leased three hundred and twenty acres adjoining this piece. He has put up good build-
ings and many improvements, the farm being the largest within a
radius of many miles. There is a good growth of natural timber on
the place, and it is admirably adapted to stock and grain raising.
When he started here his sole possessions were a team of horses
and wagon; from this he has accumulated this valuable property
through his energetic labor and good management, supplemented by
thrift and industry. He has under cultivation two hundred and
twenty acres, his farm being all fenced and cross- fenced. A view
of the buildings from the bluff to the west is to be seen on
Mr. Bahr is one of the oldest settlers in the county, and was one of those who helped organize Keya Paha county in 1885, and voted at the first election ever held here. He has aided materially in its development and progress and his name will figure in the history of the locality as one of the leading residents of this section.
He is a Populist in politics, and always takes an active part in party affairs, attending the state and county conventions, and lending his influence for good government. He was elected county commissioner in 1907. He is a member of the Masonic order and the Royal Highlanders of Springview. The family are all members of the Evangelical Lutheran church.
HENRY B. HOLMES.
Henry B. Holmes, editor and proprietor of the Franklin County Tribune, published at Bloomington, established this newspaper in 1906, and from the start has made a pronounced success of the enterprise. The paper is independent in politics, and handles all the current topics of the hour in a bright and newsy manner, highly interesting and instructive to its readers.
Mr. Holmes is a native of this county, born in 1880, and is a representative Nebraskan. His father, also named Henry B., came to Franklin county in 1873, locating in Bloomington township, where he was engaged in farming up to 1884, when he died, aged forty years. He was a veteran of the Civil war, enlisting in 1863 in the First Vermont Cavalry, Company K, serving in the Army of the Potomac under General Custer, up to the close of the war, He was a native of Johnson, Vermont, and married Mary E. Hebb, of the same place, daughter of Ed. Hebb, now of Bloomington. Our subject also has a brother, Edwin J., who is a hardware merchant of Bloomington, and another, Leonard E., of Bloomington township, a farmer and stock raiser there.
Mr. Holmes is a man of superior education and attainments. He attended the State University literary course for three years, and prior to that the Bloomington high school, of which he is a graduate of the class of 1896.
In 1906 our subject was united in marriage to Miss Bessie Dunn. Mrs. Holmes is a daughter of William Dunn, a prominent merchant of Bloomington. Politically Mr. Holmes is a Democrat, always standing for the best man. He belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias lodges, of which he is an active member.
Albert Hadley, of Box Butte county, is numbered among the oldest settlers and leading old timers of western Nebraska, landing here September 20, 1886, with only sixty-five cents in his pocket after buying enough lumber to build his house with. From that small beginning he has accumulated a comfortable property and is now prepared to take life easy and enjoy the fruits of his labors, surrounded by a large circle of warm friends and good neighbors.
Mr. Hadley was born in Worcester county, Massachusetts, December 4, 1836, on a farm. His father was of English descent, who married Mary Knowlton, a widow with seven children, who afterwards was the mother of seven more children, making fourteen children by the two marriages.
Our subject grew up in New England, following farm work through his boyhood years, and remained in that vicinity up to 1866, with the exception of several years, which were spent in the army. He enlisted in Company B, Sixteenth Massachusetts Infantry, April 19, 1861, being mustered into the service July 2, 1862. He saw service with the Army of the