to his possessions until he now has an estate of one thousand four hundred and forty acres, mostly in low hay land. He early engaged in the stock business, which he still follows on a large scale, keeping about two hundred and fifty head of cattle and fifteen horses. At one time he owned a large number of sheep and for nine years made quite a success of it, but has reduced his flocks of late years finding other lines more profitable. Mr. Groves has done his share of building and planting trees since locating here, having a thrifty orchard of about a hundred trees, and a ten-acre grove of forest trees surrounding his dwelling which have grown at a more surprising rate than any other grove in this region. He has put up twelve miles of fence, eight miles of it being five-wire fencing, besides a half mile of tin wire netting around the grove, making his place one of the best equipped in this section for stock raising on a large scale.
Mr. Groves was married January 18, 1885, to Miss Eliza Smith, a native of Iowa, daughter of Peter and Hannah (Keller) Smith. Her father, an early settler in Nebraska, lived here for a number of years. Mr. And Mrs. Groves have a family of eight children, named as follows: David, Clarence, Clara, Lillian, Richard, Wesley, Moses and Ross, all born and reared in Cherry county.
Mr. Groves has been school director for the past fifteen years, and has held other local offices. Politically he is a Populist, and although interested in local affairs of his party has never sought official recognition. He devotes his time to his home and family, and is well satisfied with what he has accomplished in what was the wilds of Nebraska when he first set foot in Cherry county.
The present solid prosperity enjoyed in Sioux county, Nebraska, may be attributed largely to her pioneers. In the early days of her settlement when the only welcome tendered the stranger who settled there was a wilderness filled with wild beasts and Indians, little to encourage and much to discourage came to his lot, but those sturdy men who went to their new home with a determination to succeed and worked persistently and honestly, are now the prosperous and honored residents of their locality. The subject of this sketch aided in bringing what wilderness to a high state of cultivation and civilization, and great credit is due him for his labor and influence.
John Hibbeln is a native of Wisconsin, born in Fond du Lac in 1867, and his father, Joseph Hibbeln, was a business man of that vicinity for many years, of German descent. He married Theresa Brinkman, also of German stock, and they lived in Wisconsin until our subject was a child of three years, then moved to Alabama, and later to Tennessee. When he was twelve years old the family came to Nebraska, settling in Furnas county, where they went through pioneer experiences, and remained there for about seven years.
From there they drove overland to Sioux county in a covered wagon, and spent a month on the trip, bringing with them a bunch of cattle, and camping out along the road, cooking their meals over a camp fire. Their first location was on the place which is our subject's present ranch, the government land, owned and operated by the father up to 1894. During the first years they did all their farm work and teaming with ox teams, and at times had all they could do to make a living during the hard times due to drouths, etc. They stuck to the place, however, and gradually succeeded in improving it in good shape, adding more land To their original homestead, until the ranch now consists of five hundred and forty-five acres, situated on Indian creek twelve miles west of Ardmore.
The ranch is well supplied with timber and splendid water the year around. Most of the place is used as a stock ranch, but they farm a small portion, and have plenty of hay and pasture land.
Mr. Hibbeln's family is among the very old settlers in this region, and they have all taken an important part in the up building of the locality.
The father died in November, 1907, his death deeply lamented by his family and a large circle of friends.
Among the leading business men of Brady, the gentleman whose name heads this review occupies a prominent place. He is engaged in the hardware business, handling agricultural implements, wagons, buggies, windmills, pumps, et., and enjoys a large and flourishing trade among the residents of Lincoln and the surround counties.
Mr. O'Rourke was born in Pennsylvania at Lebanon, March 21, 1860. He is a son of Colonel P. J. O'Rourke, who was superintendent of the National cemetery at Fort McPherson from 1876 to 1883, where his death occurred in the fall of 1883 at the age of seventy-three years, and his remains were interred in that cemetery. He was colonel of Company E, First Pennsylvania Reserves, during the war, and his name is one of
those on the soldiers' monument at Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He went out as a captain and came back as colonel. He enlisted in 1861 and served continuously until the close of the war. He was one of those who was with the Army of the Potomac, in the First Pennsylvania Infantry, and was in all the great battles during the struggle for liberty. He received a severe wound at the battle of Gettysburg and saw about as many hardships and endured as much suffering as any soldier in the war. He was on General Meade's staff. A gun which his father captured from the Confederates during a skirmish at Gettysburg is highly prized as a relic of that terrible struggle. Colonel O'Rourke came to this country from Ireland when a young man, settling in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the mercantile business. His wife was Miss Mary Hodges, a native of England, where she met and married Mr. O'Rourke. One brother, Washington, served in his father's regiment all through the war. J. J. served also for three months, although he was very young at that time.
Mr. O'Rourke came to Lincoln county, Nebraska, in 1879 to join his father at Fort McPherson, and remained with him for some time, then started in business for himself. He opened his present establishment eight years ago, and has been phenomenally successful in that short time, fast becoming one of the most prominent merchants in this section of the country, and gaining a wide reputation as a business man and worthy citizen. After locating in Nebraska he attended school, where he obtained a good education which gave him a good foundation for his later success, and then entered the mail service, traveling between North Platte and Cottonwood Springs for two years. Mr. O'Rourke's three brothers, J. J., T. L. and Frank O'Rourke, are all living at the old homestead which their father took up in the early days as a timber claim. J. J. served for one term as county judge. In 1894, Mr. O'Rourke married Miss Anna M. Neary, daughter of John T. Neary, originally from New Jersey, and an early settler of North Platte, Nebraska. Mr. Neary opened the first shoe store in that city, and was owner of the corner where the First National Bank now stands. Mr. and Mrs. O'Rourke are the parents of two children, namely: Mary Agnes and Nora Irene. He is a Republican in political faith.
CAPTAIN STRONG B. MOODY.
Captain Strong B. Moody is one of the older settlers of Rock county, Nebraska, and his is a familiar figure on the streets of Newport, in the vicinity of which he has passed many years of engaged in an agricultural career of honest worth. He is widely beloved and respected for his manly worth and upright character, as well as for his generous heart and open hand.
Mr. Moody was born on a farm in the town of Stowe, La Moile county, Vermont, August 24, 1835, and was reared and educated to rural life. His father, John Moody, came of Scotch ancestry, but his mother, Rebecca Cady, belonged to an old American family. They were honest, worthy people, and Strong B. was trained and fitted to a good place in the world of industry.
When he reached the age of nineteen years he assumed the determination of his own career, and coming west, was for some time employed as a farm laborer in Will county, Illinois, whither a brother had preceded him.
During the years 1859 and 1860 he spent his time in the Pike's Peak country prospecting and mining. Returning to Will county in the fall of 1860, the outbreak of the Civil war found him ready, as the children of the Green Mountains always were, to take up arms to defend the old flag and the Union against rebels and traitors from any quarter. He enlisted in Company D, One Hundredth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and in the course of an exceptionally meritorious career rose from the position of eighth corporal, which he held at the time of his enlistment, to a captaincy, which he held at the time of his discharge. He took part in seventeen battles, and proved himself a brave and capable soldier through dangerous years. In 1869 he came to Guthrie county, Iowa, and for seventeen years was engaged in mercantile pursuits.
Mr. Moody was married in 1866 to Miss Helen Martin. She became the mother of one son, and died before our subject removed to this state. The son, Daniel, died about a year after his mother. Mr. Moody was married a second time in Stuart, Nebraska, in 1885, when Miss Emma Anglemire became his wife. She was of Pennsylvania Dutch family. The father, Emanuel Anglemire, migrated to Will county, the mother having passed away in her native state prior to the family's coming west. Mr. and Mrs. Moody are the fond parents of two children, Daniel and Myrtle, both of whom are now living under the parental roof.
In 1885 Mr. Moody came to Rock county, where he made a homestead entry in section 25, township 31, range 17, and here he is still to be found. Today he is the independent owner of one hundred and sixty acres of as choice land as the sun shines on in Nebraska, nearly all of which is under active cultivation, sustaining about fifty head of stock, and producing considerable hay for the open market. It is a well
kept farm, and shows its owner an industrious worker. Six years of the time that has elapsed since his settlement in Rock county were spent by Captain Moody in Mead, Nebraska, but his thought and labor have been quite concentrated on his homestead enterprise in Newport. He is an old line Republican, but has never held public office, finding his home and farm sufficiently large for all his thought and care. During his residence in Iowa Mr. Moody was a member of the Mason, Odd Fellow and Workmen fraternities.
WILLIAM J. JONES.
William J. Jones, one of the foremost early settlers of Marvin precinct, Perkins county, has a valuable estate on section 20, township 10, range 35, and is a worthy citizen of his community.
Mr. Jones was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, on September 13, 1854, and is a son of Fauntleroy and Diana (Haffner) Jones, the former of Welsh and the latter of Pennsylvania Dutch stock. The family came to Illinois when William was one year old, where the father settled on a farm in Fulton county, and there our subject grew up, remaining with his parents until he was twenty years of age. He afterwards followed farm work in the vicinity of his home, also drifted through Minnesota and Iowa for several years. In 1879 he was married in Illinois, to Miss Phrosine Lance, whose father was a prominent physician of New Philadelphia, McDonough county, Illinois. After his marriage Mr. Jones settled on a farm in Illinois and lived there up to 1885, then came to Nebraska, locating in Polk county and farmed there for one year, then came to his present homestead, filing on the land in September, 1886, built a sod shanty 14x24 feet, hauling the lumber for the roof from North Platte. During the first winter they saw some hard times, and while he raised fairly good crops for a few years, in 1893 and 1894 witnessed the drouth periods, losing several crops and having a bad time generally. During the worst times when there was so much suffering in the region he did considerable to help those who were in financial straits, and was largely instrumental in influencing outside aid to the vicinity. He also helped establish the schools during the early years and was an important factor in its every step toward development and progress. Mr. Jones has built up a good home and valuable property, having five hundred and sixty acres with good improvements and buildings, his farm all fenced, and one hundred acres under cultivation. He has plenty of pasture, a fine grove and everything in the best possible condition about the place.
In the spring of 1895 he was one of a committee to go to Illinois, his former home and neighborhood, and solicit food, provision and clothing. He secured two carloads free of freight charges for Elsie and vicinity.
Mr. Jones was married August 28, 1879, in the city of Macomb, the county seat of McDonough county, Illinois. One son, Edward Lee, born of this union, September 1882, died September 19, 1904. He was school teacher.
In politics, Mr. Jones has held minor offices and taken an active part in local affairs. He has always been a Democrat and has been a delegate to conventions at various times and served as committeeman for this district.
Mr. Jones engages in cattle raising and farming on quite an extensive scale. He raises Shorthorn grade and has made a thorough success of the business.
THOMAS F. CROUGHWELL.
Thomas F. Croughwell is a native of Connecticut, born in Jewett City, in the year 1881, his parent being John and Katherine (Falland) Croughwell. The father was of Irish decent, and was one of the pioneer settler of Loup county, Nebraska. The grandfather, Thomas Croughwell, was also a pioneer settler of this territory. The family came west and settled on a homestead west of Taylor and become prominently identified with the community and the growth of the county. Here the subject of this brief history grew to manhood and, besides assisting his father on the farm, attended school.
On May 14, 1907, Thomas F. Croughwell was united in the holy bonds of matrimony with Miss Mary Cooney, of West Union, Nebraska. Her parents, William and Mary (Kennedy) Cooney, are farmers and pioneer settlers of the state.
Thomas F. Croughwell, by his intelligent participation in public affairs, has earned the respect and appreciation of his friends and neighbors. He has witnessed the growth of his county and has aided in every way he could to this advancement. He was elected county treasurer in 1907 and took office January 9, 1908.
Probably no citizen of Harlan county, Nebraska, is better known for his active public spirit and good business judgment than the gentleman herein named. For the past twenty years and more he has been closely identified with the up building of the better interests of his
locality, and has incidentally become one of the substantial citizens of his county, held in the highest esteem and respect by all who know him. He owns a fine farm in Rueben township, section 13, where he occupies a fine residence and enjoys a peaceful and happy rural life.
Mr. Beddeo was born in 1832 in Wales, England. His father, Benjamin Beddeo, was a native of Wales, as was also his wife, who was Mary Miles. They both came to America when quite young and settled in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, in 1842, and later in Illinois, where our subject was raised, attending school in a log house. They were neighbors to Senator Cullom's father, their farms adjoining, and our subject and the well known senator were school mates during their boyhood days. In 1875 the family moved to Livingston county, locating near Pontiac, and there farmed for several years, the father's death occurring in Tazewell county, Illinois, in 1880.
In 1886 Mr. Beddeo came to Nebraska and engaged in farming, purchasing two hundred acres of good land, which he has improved splendidly. He has erected one of the finest residences to be found in his locality, and has every convenience of modern times in his home and on the farm. He has a herd of thirty thoroughbred Shorthorn cattle, one hundred to one hundred and fifty hogs and other stock, and also does mixed farming on a large scale.
Mr. Beddeo has been active in public affairs since coming here, serving on the town board for fifteen years, and also as justice of the peace for the same period. Politically he is an Independent. When the Grangers were organized in this community he was an active member of that body. For many years he has been class leader of the local Evangelical Church, and is an earnest worker along religious and educational lines.
In 1859 our subject was united in married to Miss Mary Richardson, daughter of John and Maria (Davis) Richardson, who were early settlers of Tazewell county, Illinois, and later moved to Livingston county, Illinois.
Mr. And Mrs. Beddeo are the parents of the following children: Francis, a farmer in Iroquois county, Illinois, who owns a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres, valued at one hundred dollars per acre: Noah, deceased: Walter, of Orleans, Nebraska, there engaged in the real estate business: Elmer, manager for Ridgely & and Co., Omaha, Nebraska: Mary, wife of Frank Carpenter, and Alvinus, both deceased.
DAVID R. SNYDER.
For over twenty years the gentleman whose name heads this review has been identified with the development of the financial and social interests of Cheyenne county, Nebraska, has gained a high station as a citizen and incidentally become one of the substantial men of his community. He is the owner of a fine one thousand one hundred and twenty-acre ranch in Sidney precinct.
David R. Snyder was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, on February 4, 1851, was reared and educated there, following farming during his boyhood years. His father, David Snyder, who is of German descent, still lives in that vicinity; his mother, Elizabeth (Replogle), also of German descent, died December 31, 1890. In 1876 David left home and came west, locating in Polk county, Iowa, where he remained eleven years, coming to Cheyenne county in 1887, arriving in the vicinity March 11th of that year. In the fall of 1886 he filed on a homestead in section 26, township 13, range 50, on which he settled during the following year, and he has made it his continuous residence since that time. He has about eighty acres cultivated, and runs a herd of one hundred cattle and twenty-five horses. In 1907 he built a fine two-story, seven-room house, and with the large barns, granary and sheds, together with an ample supply of water, he now has one of the best equipped farms in Cheyenne county.
Mr. Snyder was married at New Enterprise, Pennsylvania, November 16, 1873, to Miss Rosana Ebersole, a native of Bedford county, born February 3, 1851.Her father, Abraham Ebersole, is now living at Altoona, Pennsylvania. Her mother was Barbara Bowman.
While living in Pennsylvania both Mr. And Mrs. Snyder became members of the German Baptist church. Mr. Snyder is independent in politics and takes an active part in local affairs, especially those pertaining to educational matters. He is an Odd Fellow.
A view of the family residence is
shown in this work.
EDWIN L. HOUGEN.
Edwin L. Hougen, one of the thrifty young farmers of Trognitz precinct, Cheyenne county, Nebraska, was born in Norway, November 17, 1866. In 1888 he left his native land, sailing from Trondhjem to Hull, England, and crossing to Liverpool, sailed on the Eldorado. After a voyage of eleven days he landed in Quebec, whence he proceeded to Minnehaha county, South Dakota, and from there removed to Cheyenne county, Nebraska, location on a homestead on the northwest quarter of section 14, township 16, range 53, which is now his home place. He has an addi-
tional Kincaid claim of three hundred and twenty acres in the
same section. He cultivated one hundred and fifty acres of land
and runs about seventy-five head of cattle and a bunch of horses.
He is an earnest worker and his industry and good management have
made him a fine home and farm with good buildings and
improvements. We call attention to a view of the home and
surroundings to be found on another page.
Mr. Hougen is a Republican in politics and earnestly supports the principles of his party. He has been active in public matters, and is treasurer of school district No. 86. He was reared in the Lutheran church in Norway.
Mr. Shannon was born in Jackson county, Indiana, in 1858. His father, Samuel Shannon, was a farmer of Irish-Scotch descent, born in Illinois, where he died in 1868. His mother, who was Miss Acenith Gordon, was born in Indiana of Scotch parents. She died in 1871, leaving a family of six children, of whom our subject is the third member. At the age of thirteen years he began working out by the month on different farms in the vicinity of his home, following this occupation for thirteen years. During this time he farmed in Arkansas one year, and in 1881 went to Iowa. In 1884 he came to Sheridan county, locating in section 26, township 32, range 45, which land he still holds. He filed on a tree claim and homestead without seeing either place. His intention in coming west was to get free land near Omaha, but being unable to secure the land there, he came on further west in the state. The first year was spent in working for the different settlers in the locality, breaking land and doing all sorts of work, and in the fall he built a dugout and a sod barn on his own place. The following year he went to work farming his land and also working for neighboring ranchmen in order to make a start for himself. He was getting along very nicely and making a good start when the dry years struck the country, and at the end of ten years, after losing several crops in succession, and experiencing many hardships and discouragements, he found himself worse off than when he landed here. He had his share of a pioneer's life, and does not want any more of it. More than once he has been lost on the plains, and obliged to spend the entire night tramping. One time in particular he lost his way, was without a coat and unable to find any sort of shelter, and was compelled to keep walking all night to keep from freezing to death. He has often seen the time when he was short on rations and it was a puzzle to know where the next sack of flour was coming from. Many times he grew discouraged and almost gave up the struggle, and had he been able to do so, would have sold out his holdings, but he is glad now that he stuck to it, and says he could never have done so well in any other place. He has a ranch of one thousand six hundred acres, farms two hundred acres of this and uses the balance for hay and grazing land for his cattle, running about one hundred and seventy-five head of stock all the time. He has his place well improved, all fenced and a complete set of good farm buildings, and has accumulated all of this property in the last twelve years. While adding to his farm he was in some cases obliged to sell the buildings on the land which he bought in order to make his payments on the property.
In 1888 Mr. Shannon was married to Miss Josephine Edgel, who was born in Illinois in 1867. Seven children have been born of this union, namely: Florence, Lee, Mary, McKinley, Forest, Shelby and Helen, all born and raised in their present homestead. Mr. Shannon is a staunch and intelligent Republican who has never voted any other ticket, but never votes it entirely straight. He has held local office at different times, and takes an active interest in educational affairs in his community, having been on the school board for many years. He would like to sell his land if he were able to obtain his price.
section and is one of the best known and most highly esteemed men of his county.
Mr. Maloy was born in Wisconsin, and first saw the light January 23, 1854. There were eight children in his father's family, four boys and four girls, he being the sixth in order of birth. They lived in Wisconsin until he grew to manhood, when he left home and went to Chicago, remaining there for four years, then came to Nebraska, locating at North Platte, arriving at the latter place in May, 1885, but only spent one month there and moved to Keith county, locating on the Platte river, and has lived continuously on that river since that time. He came into Deuel county in 1891, landing here on August 1st, and at once filed on a homestead and proved up. He had also owned a good homestead in Keith county, which he sold on leaving there. Besides his homestead rights he proved up on a timber claim, and he has two hundred and forty acres in the home ranch which joins the town of Oshkosh, besides four hundred acres in another tract. There is a large amount of hay and grazing land, besides quite a piece of fine alfalfa. He has three hundred and twenty acres on the table land, and in addition to these different farms, controls a leased school section.
Mr. Maloy has recently erected a handsome residence on his ranch near Oshkosh, and has one of the most completely equipped ranches and finest homes in the county. He runs quite a large herd of stock, including a fine bunch of horses, and takes especial pride in these animals, owning some very fine ones. Mr. Maloy was married to Susan Duffin, at the home of the bride's mother in Deuel county, on November 11, 1890, her parents being old settlers here, originally from Iowa, where Mrs. Maloy was born. Our subject and his estimable wife are the parents of the following children: Katie, Mary, Frank. Theresa and Herbert, all at home, the younger ones attending school. Mr. Maloy's parents are dead, while Mrs. Maloy's mother is living and still occupies the old homestead.
Our subject has served as justice of the peace of Oshkosh precinct, and is now moderator of school district No. 131. He takes an active part in all local affairs, and is classed among the progressive men of his time. He votes an Independent ticket and lends his influence for the upbuilding of the better interests of his community.
Mr. Herbert was born in Madison, Wisconsin, in 1845. His father, John Herbert, was a farmer, of American stock, and he married Mary Ann Dayton, of Wisconsin. The family moved from Wisconsin to Illinois when our subject was a small boy, and they lived there for several years, then went to Indiana and remained up to 1866. In 1864 Clarence enlisted in Company B, Ninth Indiana Infantry, and was ordered south with his regiment. He saw service with the Army of the Cumberland, and with General Thomas at Nashville, at the battles of Franklin, Springhill, Pulaski and Columbia. He was sent into Texas, and they remained there up to the close of the war, receiving his discharge in September, 1865, having served in all one year and nine months. During that time he was twice wounded, once at Nashville, and the second time at Madison, Indiana, accidentally. After the war he returned to Indiana, and began working on the railroad, traveling over a large portion of the United States, and in this way saw a great deal of the different states and localities. He followed this work for twenty-five years, being employed by the Chicago and Northwestem Railway Company for eleven years in western Nebraska.
About 1869 Mr. Herbert settled in Michigan with his family, he continuing on the road, and during some of that time worked in the lumbering woods, spending several years in that region, then in 1885 came to Nebraska and began working on railroad construction, as the Chicago and Northwestern Railway was being built through Valentine to the west. In June of that year he took up a homestead in Dawes county, building a log house, and made this his home. He still followed railroading but his family lived on the homestead and proved up on the land. About 1896 he began devoting more of his time to farming and ranching, and has succeeded in a marked degree, now owning a ranch of two thousand acres, all of which is fenced and in fine shape. He has two wells and wind mills which furnish a fine supply of water for. all farming and household purposes, having two hundred acres under cultivation, and employs modern methods in farming. He is progressive and prosperous. and classed among the oldest settlers and influential residents of his locality, having always taken an active part in the history of the region from its early development. He has experienced much hardship and privation here, going through the drouth periods on this ranch, losing several crops, and when hauling supplies from his trading point was compelled to camp out at night under his wagon. His first team
was a pair of oxen, and with these he broke up a large part of his homestead.
In 1871 Mr. Herbert was married to Miss Phoebe E. Toal, daughter of George Nelson Toal, a farmer and carpenter, who was born and raised in New York state. Mrs. Herbert's mother, prior to her marriage was Sarah Hall, also a native of New York state. To our subject and his good wife were born three children, namely: Fred, Charles and Ernest, and to Mrs. Herbert and the children belong much credit in the accumulation of their property, as they worked very hard to keep the work on the home place going while the husband and father was working at railroading.
Mr. Sylvester was born in Berrien county, Michigan, February 14, 1864. While he was still a lad his parents moved to Hamilton county, Nebraska, remaining there up to 1882, when they came to Keya Paha county.. His father, Moses A. Sylvester, was a cooper by trade, following that calling and farming all his life. He died here in 1902. leaving a widow with a family of nine children, our subject being the seventh member. The mother is still living in this county. When Cass was twenty-one years old he took up a pre-emption here, but could not prove up without mortgaging the place, so filed homestead papers on it and in due time proved his claim. He paid five hundred dollars for a relinquishment, and purchased horses and machinery to run the place, which was partly improved, and he continued to improve the place since he has owned it. He has set out over a hundred fruit trees, besides erecting good buildings and fences. He cultivates about sixty-five acres, and the balance of the one hundred and sixty of which his farm consists, is used for pasture and hay land. He keeps quite a lot of stock on the place - cattle, hogs and horses.
Mr. Sylvester was married February 7, 1894, to Miss Lizzie Peterbaugh. whose parents were early settlers of Keya Paha county, coming here in 1881. To Mr. and Mrs. Sylvester have been born the following children: Homer A., Elsie V., Albert J., George. Earl L., Monnie M., Cassie L. and Dell, all at present living at home with their parents.
Mr. Sylvester is a Populist, but does not take an active part in public affairs, although he lends every influence in his power for the upbuilding of his home county and locality.
Henry R. Fox. the father of our subject, left Omaha in 1876, going to the Black Hills in South Dakota. The silver mines in the Black Hills were the center of western emigration at that time. In 1879 our subject with the balance of the family started for the Black Hills. They travelled on the train as far as Sidney. Nebraska, where they were compelled to take the stage the balance of the journey to their destination, where they joined the father. The family remained in South Dakota about six years, then removed to Nebraska by stage, settling on a ranch about five miles east of where Oshkosh is now located, on the North Platte river. The father of our subject homesteaded and proved up on the claim, residing there until his death in December. 1905. After the death of the father, our subject remained on the ranch and improved and enlarged it, until it contained ten thousand acres. Mr. Fox managed the ranch for about seven years, then sold a half interest in it, forming the Fox Land & Cattle Company, which was merged into the Western Land & Cattle Company in 1904, Mr. Fox being heavily interested as a stockholder and serving as foreman of the ranch until March, 1908, when he sold out his interest and located on section 29, township 16. range 42. This is now known as the Home Ranch and consists of about three hundred acres. Mr. Fox is extensively engaged in stock raising. running at this time about five hundred head of cattle and horses. He makes a specialty of draft horses, of which he has a splendid drove. Mr. Fox has made a study of scien-
© 2001 NEGenWeb Project ,Chris Geis, T&C Miller