family of seven children, named as follows: Fritz, Willie, Adolph, Richard, Otto, Martha and Carol.
Mr. Brewster was born in Chicago, Illinois, March 4, 1865, and was reared and educated there. His father, Charles F. Brewster, was of English blood, a printer by trade, following that work in Chicago for many years. The mother was Matilda D. Willson. Our subject was the second child of a family of seven, and at the age of eleven years started out to make his own way in the world, obtaining employment as an errand boy for the Omaha Bee, and he continued in the newspaper business, working up gradually until he had thoroughly mastered every detail of the work. He attended night schools to obtain his education, and has followed newspaper work and the printer's trade in nearly all of the central states.
In 1887 Mr. Brewster came to Keya Paha county, locating at Norden, and there published the Borealis. He was appointed postmaster, serving ten years, and he was later elected county commissioner, in which he served two terms. He was elected to the office of county clerk, assuming the duties in January, 1906, and died April 12, 1908, while in his second term. Ever since settling in this section he had been active in political and newspaper work, and was counted one of the most helpful of the settlers in building up the region and looking towards the advancement of the interests of the people throughout his locality.
Mr. Brewster was married on February 2, 1886, to Miss Belle Pulver, a native of Wisconsin, whose parents, Oliver and Hannah (Bixby) Pulver, were early settlers in southern Polk county, Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Brewster were the parents of two children, namely, Earle F. and Aileen E.
Mr. Brewster always voted the Republican ticket, and his newspapers supported the principles of that party. He was member of the Methodist church and affiliated with the Masonic and Woodmen orders.
Mr. Dickinson was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, September 1, 1844, and lived there until seven years old, then the family moved to Washington county, Iowa, later went to Colorado, on Boulder creek, and in 1866 he returned to Iowa, where he spent about seven years. In the spring of 1873 our subject came to Nebraska, locating in Redwillow county. When he first came to this region the country abounded in wild game, and he engaged in buffalo hunting on Beaver creek for three years. He came into Cheyenne county in 1876, driving from Redwillow county, and for about six years freighted through the country, between Sidney and Deadwood, coming in contact with the usual life of the frontiersman. He arrived in Deadwood just before the big fire in that place, and witnessed many incidents of the early days in the west which have become a part of the history of that section of the country. On his first trip into the Black Hills he passed the remains of several emigrant outfits. These outfits had been destroyed and the people who had owned them had met death at the hand of the Indians.
In 1883 Mr. Dickinson took up a timber claim on Lodgepole creek and subsequently acquired three tracts of land in that vicinity aggregating fourteen hundred acres, which he still owns. The buildings on the property are situated on section 26, township 14, range 48, lying along the creek.
This place is rented at the present time, being used principally for ranching purposes. He has built a fine business block in Lodgepole, and also owns the Stone Hotel at that place, besides a town dwelling.
Our subject was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Prosser in the fall of 1871. Mrs. Dickinson died in Lodgepole in 1886, leaving four children namely: Daniel, married and
now living in Deuel county, Nebraska, on the North Platte: Pluma Ella, married to H. R. Neumann, of Cheyenne county; George and Charles, also married and settled in comfortable homes of their own in Cheyenne county, all filing honorable positions in the world. Mr. Dickinson was married again in 1899 at Chappel, Nebraska, to Mrs. Nettie (Stoutz) Allington, and of this union two children have been born, Mildred and Patsy.
Mr. Dickinson is a successful and prosperous business man, and a genuine westerner. In national issues he is a Democrat. He joined the Masonic order while living at Chappel.
Mr. Romans was born in Wisconsin in 1864 and is of Scotch-Irish descent.
His father was a farmer and dairyman in Wisconsin, and our subject grew up there, assisting his parent in the farm work and attending the country schools, where he received his early education, and he has supplemented this by constant study and wide reading, now being a well posted man on every topic of general interest. In 1878 he left Wisconsin and came to Nebraska, locating in Colfax county, only remaining there one year, then moved to Garfield county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of government land. This is situated in section 33, township 22, range 16, and here he has built up a good home and farm, raising principally corn, oats and wheat, which show a splendid yield each year, and by which he has made considerable money. He also engages in stock raising, principally cattle. He also engages in stock raising, principally cattle. In addition to these enterprises he carries on a dairy business, making a specialty of cream, and this also net him nice money.
In 1894 Mr. Romans married Miss Lola Hennick, a native of Missouri, raised and educated in that state. Mr. and Mrs. Romans are the parents of four children, named as follows: Harley, Charles, Vernice, and Robert. The family are active and highly esteemed members of the Christian church, well like throughout their community. Mr. Romans has served as road overseer for several years, and has also been a member of the school board. Politically he is an independent voter.
Mr. Lueking is a native of West Phalen, Germany. His father, Gotlieb Lueking, came from the north of Germany, near Bremen, settling in Gage county, Nebraska, in 1882, and lived there for many years, his death occurring in Harlan county in 1903. Our subject located on his present farm in 1887, coming into the county three years before that time. He first bought a homestead right and has been steadily adding to this until he now owns five hundred and sixty acres of good land in section 18. He has made every improvement on his place, having erected one of the finest residences in the county, also other commodious and substantial farm buildings. For many years he has been engaged in mixed farming and stock raising, now running from sixty to seventy-five head of cattle and about the same number of hogs, besides plenty of horses for farm use. He shows a decided preference for the Poland China hogs, of which he has a fine drove.
Mr. Lueking takes an active interest in all local public affairs, serving his community in different capacities. From 1902 to 1904 he held the office of township assessor, and in 1904 was elected county supervisor, serving his term and again elected the following term. He is a strong Republican, and is one of the leading citizens of his section, admired by all for his strict integrity and honesty of dealings. Prior to settling in this county he resided in St. Louis, Missouri, where he was engaged as a workman for the St. Louis Stamping Company.
Our subject was united in marriage in St. Louis on October 15, 1882, to Miss Louisa Maschmeyer, a native of Germany, who came to America in 1881. Two sons of Mr. and Mrs. Lueking, Frank and Fred, are farmers in Harlan county, while three reside at home with their parents, namely: Otto, Walter and Lawrence. Another son, Henry, is engaged in the hardware business at Oxford, Nebraska.
His daughters are: Mary, married to Martin Schepker, in eastern Nebraska; Louisa, Ella, Minnie, Tillie and Sophia. The family belong to the Lutheran church and are devoted members of that church.
Mr. Bible was born in Richland county, Wisconsin, June 9, 1865. His father, Enoch Bible, was a farmer, a native of Tennessee, and settled in Wisconsin when he was young man. About 1868 the family returned to Cocke county, Tennessee, and after remaining there for nine years they went to Clinton county, Indiana, and farmed for a number of years. When Francis was twenty-one years of age he came to Keith county, arriving here in June, and on the 15th of that month filed on a homestead in section 18, township 11, range 36, since set off to Perkins county, and worked out in the vicinity for about a year.
His first building was a sod house, and this he occupied all alone for about two years, going for his provisions to Paxton, about eighteen miles distant.
He had a team of small ponies, with which he did all his work during the first summer, and he was obliged to live in the most frugal way in order to get along and prove up on his claim. Hard times struck him in 1894 and he left his homestead and traveled in Iowa, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas and other parts, digging wells part of the time, going through the country n a covered wagon, and encountered many interesting experiences. While n Arkansas Mrs. Bible was taken sick and died, and after this sad event Mr. Bible went to Indiana and remained some time. He eventually came back to Keith county and worked out on different ranches up to 1903, purchasing his present farm on section 2, township 13, range 36, which then was but little improved. In a short time he had put the place in good order, and now has a good ranch of eight hundred and eighty acres in the South Platte valley, the land bordering on the river for two miles. He has put up good buildings, planted trees, both shade and fruit, and has an orchard of three hundred trees, which is pronounced one of the finest in the section. He cultivates about one hundred and eighty acres, engaging in diversified farming, and is getting on to financial independence. During 1891 Mr. Bible was burned out, losing about everything he had, which was a severe setback for him during the hard times that were then almost upon him.
Sometime after starting in the well business in 1886 he dug a well to the depth of one hundred and ninety-seven feet by hand, and for this work received no pay, a hardship not easily endured during those stringent times.
In 1896 Mr. Bible was married to Miss Clara M. Dougherty, of Tuscarawas, Ohio. Her father, George Dougherty, a native of Willesburg, West Virginia, was a miner in Toronto, Ontario, while her mother was Annie Lee, of Oxford, England. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bible, named Evaline.
Mr. Bible has always taken an active interest in local matters tending to improve conditions. He has served as justice of the peace for two terms, and held other minor offices. Politically he is a strong Republican. In religion he is of the Untied Brethren denomination. He is a Modern Woodman and a member of the Modern Brotherhood of America.
We show a fine view of the new
residence and buildings constructed on Mr. Bible's Ranch in
Mr. Marcy was born in McHenry county, Illinois, in 1848, and raised on a farm there. His father, Danforth S. Marcy, was of old Puritan stock, born in Connecticut, and settled in Illinois in 1834, where he farmed for many years. He married Elizabeth Metcalf, born in Steuben county, New York, of English-Dutch origin, and they had a family of six children, of whom our subject is the fifth member in order of birth. In 1866 the family moved to Iowa, locating in Buchanan county, and there engaged in farming, remaining up to the death of the husband and father. Our subject lived at home until twenty-two years of age, then started in farming for himself, teaching school during the winter months. He farmed in Iowa for twenty-two years, during
the first few years living on rented land, then purchased a place of his own, and only left Iowa to get more land, so went to Montana, but did not like the country and only stayed eleven months. In the fall of 1888 he came to Nebraska and located on section 15, township 30, range 45, as a pre-emption, and later took a homestead and proved up on it. He later traded them for town lots in Marengo, Illinois, but never went back there to live, selling those lots in 1897, or 1898 after buying his present home in 1896. Here has nine hundred and sixty acres of mixed land, farming and grazing, and farmed some during the dry years, but for the first two years he was on the place he had a hard time to get along. He gathered together some stock and used the produce he raised on the place. Most of the time he carries about three hundred head of stock. When he landed here he had about six hundred dollars in money and he went to work at once and built a good house and other farm buildings, and the following spring put in a good crop. The place is all fenced and in good shape, and he will spend the balance of his days here.
In 1870 Mr. Marcy was married to Miss Hattie J. Blood, born in Connecticut in 1849. Her father, Nathan Blood, was of English stock, born in Connecticut, as was also her mother, who was Harriet N. Clark. Mr. and Mrs. Marcy have a family of four children, named as follows: Eugene E., Clarence S., George E. and Minnie Ethel. The family are well liked in the community and have a pleasant home. Since living here the health of every member has been much better than when they lived in Iowa, where four daughters died.
They have only had to have a doctor a few times since coming here, and then only in case of accidents to Mr. Marcy. For a time the family have tried living in town, but did not like it and do not know of place where they would rather live than their present home.
Mr. Marcy has never had any desire to hold office, although he always takes an interest in local affairs, voting for the man best suited to the office. Politically he is a Populist.
Mr. Reynolds is a native of Danville, Illinois, born in 1857 on a farm. His father was James Reynolds, who was a foreman in the employ of the Wabash Railway Company at Danville up to 1867. After spending some years in the west he moved to Indiana, where he bought a farm. He died in Danville, Illinois, November 18, 1903. Our subject's mother was Sarah E. Smith, a daughter of Abraham Smith, who was an early settler in Danville, Illinois, and a soldier in an Illinois regiment in the Civil war. He was one of the men who went to that state when it was comparatively a wilderness, purchasing land for two dollars per acres, which is now worth two hundred and fifty dollars an acre. His wife was a Miss Paine, descendant of the famous Paine family of England. Mr. Reynolds, our subject's father, came west and located in North Platte in 1867. Our subject was reared and educated at Danville, Illinois, and came west to North Platte in December, 1876. He started to work for the Union Pacific railway, being employed in the roundhouse six months, afterwards as fireman, and fired for one engineer for six years, namely: Charles Smith. In 1883 he began as an engineer on this road in the freight service, continuing in the work up to 1898. For the past ten years he has been engineer on a passenger train, his run being from North Platte to Grand Island, Nebraska. He is proud of the fact that he ran the engine on the special which carried President McKinley on his last trip over the Union Pacific road, and has run the engine different times when Mr. Harriman, president of the road, has gone through here. He has a splendid record for faithfulness and close attention to duty, and is one of the most trusted and well like men in the company's employ.
Mr. Reynolds is well situated financially, has a large interest in town property in North Platte, owning some of the best sites in the business portion of the city.
Mr. Reynolds married Miss Nettie V. McDonald, daughter of Charles McDonald, a banker in North Platte. She was born and reared in Lincoln county. A sketch of her father's life appears in this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds have two children - Charles M., attending school at Quincy, Illinois, and William Edward, at home. The family have fine home and a large circle of friends and acquaintances. They are active members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
illustration of the power of pluck and persistence against every sort of trial and danger. Such are the men who teach us the uses of adversity, and to whom we may well turn for wisdom in the time of trouble.
Mr. Hansen was born in 1860 in Schleswig-Holstein, in the province of Hadesleben, formerly Denmark but now belonging to the German government.
His father, Christ Hansen, was a day laborer in his country, and spent his whole career there, his death occurring in 1864. Our subject grew up in Germany and Denmark, and as a boy learned the moulder's trade, working for seven years in a foundry, and at the age of seventeen years started out for himself, coming to America. After landing in New York city he struck out for the west, going to Milton, South Dakota. That region was then all new country and scarcely a settler excepting the Indians who roamed the plains, and there were plenty of buffalo, antelope and other wild game. He spent about a year in that locality, then went to Cedar county, Nebraska, and farmed for about five years, also did quite a good deal of work as a sailor on the steamboats that plied the river. In the spring of 1881 he was a witness of the terrible havoc wrought by the floods on the Missouri river, and during that catastrophe managed to rescue many who were in danger of drowning, and was the means of saving three persons who were in dire distress. He filed on a homestead in South Dakota near Scotland, in Hutchinson county, proved up on the land and then sold out, coming to Sioux county, where he filed on a claim and still occupies this place, which is situated in section 5, township 34, range 54. He drove from his former place in South Dakota, bringing with him two ox teams and wagons, twenty-four head of cattle and five horses, also a bunch of chickens, which furnished them with fresh eggs during the whole journey. When they camped out along the way the chickens were let out of their coop, and at the time of starting on their travels again they would all come at a call and be ready to enter their coop of their own accord. On arriving at their destination Mr. Hansen and his family started to make a home, putting up a log house and barns, and these buildings are still standing on the homestead. Chadron was then the nearest railroad town at that time, and that was a distance of forty-five or fifty miles. During the first few years he had a hard time to make a living and save money enough to put on any improvements. He raised some crops, and also bought vegetables and other produce, which he sold all over the country, even going as far as Deadwood with his goods, selling to the railroad contractors and hands. He was interested in the horse business and made one trip to South Dakota in this connection, selling horses at Yankton, Vermillion and Gavil. As he prospered he steadily improved his ranch, added to his original tract, and at the present time is owner of twenty-one hundred acres, lying along Hat creek, including his Kincaid homestead and the land of his mother and sister, all fenced and in fine shape. He farms about sixty acres, and the balance is used for ranching purposes. Mr. Hansen's mother now lives with him and is quite active in spite of the fact that she is ninety-one years old.
Miss Mary C. Hansen, as sister of our subject, has been in Nebraska with him ever since he first came to this region, witnessing the same pioneer experiences, and is also one of the well know early settlers. She took up a homestead and pre-emption, proving up on both, and is now owner of six hundred and forty acres in the vicinity of her brother's ranch. She is an excellent business woman and personally manages her property. Mr. Hansen is a Democrat in political views.
© 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Chris Geis, T&C Miller