up to 1866. He then went back to Michigan, locating at Lansing. There he was conductor on the Chicago & West Michigan railroad for ten years, when the illness of his wife compelled him to resign and move west, so they came to Denver, and he railroaded in Colorado up to 1883, then came to Long Pine and worked as a passenger conductor up to 1885. He had a splendid record all through his career as a railroad man, and was a faithful and efficient employe, well like by his superior officers and the public. In 1884 he built the Dwinell Hotel at Long Pine and acted as proprietor for a term of years.
This was the finest hotel in this part of Nebraska, and was a great Sunday stopping place for commercial men, who always managed to make the town if they were anywhere within reaching distance of the place. In 1888 Mr. Dwinell sold out this hotel, and the following spring made a trip to Maine, where he visited with his wife's relatives, and after coming back to Nebraska he took charge of the New York Hotel in Fremont, remaining in that up to 1891. He was a genial, whole-souled man, popular with all, and made a great success of the hotel business. Mr. Dwinell was prominent in all local affairs, and served as a member of the town board for five years. He was justice of the peace, having held that office for four years or more.
Our subject was married in 1855 to Miss Helen Cook, a native of New York state. She died in Denver, Colorado, in 1882, leaving one son, Charles B. Dwinell. In 1883 Mr. Dwinell married Barbara J. Glidden, she being a widow with two children, namely: E. F. Weymouth and Fannie.
Mr. Miles was born September 15, 1854, in Muscatine, Iowa. His father, Henry Miles, was born in England, coming to America as a young man, and was an early settler in Iowa. He married Jane Hoag, a native of Vermont. The family lived near Springdale, Cedar county, Iowa, during the boyhood of our subject, and he received his early education in the public schools, later attending the Quaker college at Springdale. After attaining manhood he located in Audubon county, Iowa, where he lived for a few years, then moved to Defiance, in Shelby county, and from 1876 to 1882 was engaged in the mercantile business at that place. After that he drifted around for a time, and in January, 1884, landed in Kearney, Nebraska, obtained employment in a store and worked as a clerk for two years, then came to Paxton. Here he was the second man to put up a building, erecting a small store and began the hardware business. He gradually enlarged his establishment as his parentage increased, and has built up a splendid trade. He has a full line of general goods, and has the confidence and esteem of the entire countryside, owing to his honest dealings and strict integrity. Mr. Miles has the distinction of having been in continuous business longer than any other old settler in Keith county, and all of the time carrying on the same line of work. He has a store built entirely of native stone, which was hauled from within one-half a mile of Paxton. Mr. Miles has homesteaded and owns considerable land in the vicinity of Paxton, besides several dwelling houses in the town and other property. Since settling in this region he has been through various experiences, at one time having his sage blown open and destroyed. Another instance was when burglars entered his store and did considerable damage, although they took very few goods. Besides his store, Mr. Miles has always been interested in the horse business, and still raises a few horses.
In 1886 Mr. Miles was married to Miss Emma Webster, who was born and reared in Iowa, a daughter of William and Jane (Smith) Webster. They have two children, Delight and Angie.
Mr. Miles is a Bryan Democrat and has served as a precinct committeeman for his party. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity at Defiance, Iowa; the Odd Fellows at Sutherland, transferring to the Paxton lodge when that was instituted in December, 1908, and has served the Paxton camp, Modern Woodmen of America, as clerk for many years.
ing a pioneer of the great state of Iowa, where he died in 1861. The mother' s maiden name was May Holseider, and she was also a native of Germany; she died in Maryland in 1849. In about 1853 the family moved to Iowa, where the subject of our sketch spent his early years working on the farm and attending the country schools.
When he was fourteen years old, owing to the death of his father, he started out for himself. In 1864 he enlisted in the Forty-seventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company I, and was sent south along the Mississippi river. After the war was over he went to Pennsylvania, taught school for a while and then took up dentistry and followed that profession for several years in Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
In 1871 Mr. Ruppel, Sr., was married to Miss Katherine Barker, who was born in West Virginia. Her parents, William and Mary (Knaval) Barker, were farmers by occupation, Mr. and Mrs. Ruppel, Sr., have seven children, namely: William A., Grace, Edgar, Lewis F., Jr., Mary, Katherine and Lowrie.
The subject of this biographical sketch brought his family west to Nebraska in the year 1878, first settling on a farm in Johnson county, where he followed the agricultural business for four years. In 1882 he moved to Loup county, locating in the valley of the North Loup river. The country was new, without any improvements, wild game was abundant and antelope and deer roamed over the raw prairie. Mr. Ruppel built a house of sod and also put up other buildings of like material. The nearest railroad point being at North Loup, occasioned many long trips for supplies, and the subject of our sketch made several such journeys, hauling freight for the neighbors. Once the trip required six days and his expenses amounted to ten dollars and he only received four dollars, for his pay.
The first county convention was held in Mr. Ruppel's yard and he was nominated for two offices at that time, and he was elected the first county surveyor of Loup county. The early days were full of interesting experiences for the family. At first they had an ox team and Mrs. Ruppel rode the plow behind these oxen more than once, and they were used to carry the family to church and Sunday school. When the family came to Loup county they drove from Johnson county in a covered wagon and were three weeks on the road, camping out on the way. They experienced all the hardships of the years of drouth and at times it was very discouraging. For seven years only small returns were received from the farm.
Lewis Ruppel, Sr., now has a fine farm of four hundred and eighty acres, all fenced and improved with a good class of buildings. He has a nice modern farm house thirty-two by thirty-six feet, two stories high, and has one of the finest orchards in this part of the country, consisting of two hundred peach trees, also cherry, apple and apricot trees. His fruit has taken first premium several times in district fairs in competition with the product of this and adjoining states, and such has been his success that he now devotes a large part of his time to fruit raising. He cultivates about two hundred acres of his land and his sons, Lewis and Lowrie, have done most the farming for the past ten years.
Lewis Ruppel, Sr., stands today as one of the most respected of the old setters in this part of the state. He has always done his part in all affairs and he has won a high place in the history of his community.
Mr. Jones is a native of Albany, Green county, Wisconsin, born in 1864, and was raised in town. His father, George J. Jones, came to America from England, where he was born and reared, and where he worked as a shoemaker for many years. He married Jane Gravenor in America, at Albany, Wisconsin, and lived there for many years. Mrs. George J. Jones was a native of Wales.
When the Civil war broke out the father enlisted in the Twelfth Wisconsin Heavy Artillery, saw hard service, taking part in many battles, and was one of those who never returned to the waiting family at home. He died in the army at Key West, Florida. In 1876 the mother with her family moved to Minnesota and settled in Martin county, where our subject grew to manhood, remaining in the country for nine years, then came to Nebraska, locating at first in Seward county, where he operated a farm for seven years, and while on that place went through all the pioneer experiences in opening up his farm. He helped open up the surrounding country, and
lived there up to 1894, then moved to Sioux county, and had practically nothing to start with outside of his strong arms and willing hands. He broke up some land for crops the first year, and the following year was obliged to work out most of the time to make a living, receiving for his labor the munificent sum of eighty cents per day, with dinner thrown in, and the next year had his wages raised to one dollar a day. For about two years he lived on a farm four and a half miles south of Harrison, then moved north of town and worked in a sawmill for some time, receiving eighty cents a day as wages. In 1898 Mr. Jones took up a homestead near Andrew, Sioux county, proved up and improved it in good shape, working out a good deal of time the time, and managed to save up quite a little money and make a good living for is family. As times grew better he purchased land adjoining his original homestead, put up good buildings, and is now owner of six hundred and forty acres, all of which is fenced, supplied with good buildings, wells, windmills, et., and he controls besides his deeded land about fourteen hundred acres of leased land using it as stock ranch on which he runs a large number of cattle for market each year. He is on the high road to success and wealth, and his present prosperity is due entirely to his owned unaided efforts and gained by hard work and honest and conscientious dealings with his fellow men. These qualities never fail to bring a rich reward.
Mr. Jones was married in Seward county in 1887 to Miss Sadie E. Harper, who was born and reared in Iowa. She is a daughter of William Harper, a well known old settler of that state, who died when she was a child. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are the parents of four children, namely: Pearla May, married and residing in Sioux county, near her father's place; William T. Jones, Jr., Sadie E. and Panzy M., all at home and bright, helpful children. Mrs. Jones was postmistress at Andrews part of 1906 and 1907 and she opened the first store at Andrews, but sold out in 1907. Mr. Jones has held school office for a number of years and has been one of the foremost men of his locality in helping establish schools and building up the community. Mr. Jones has been in the employ of the Chicago & Northwestern railroad off and on ever since coming here. Special mention should be made of W. T. Jones, Jr., who at the age of thirteen years are employed by the Chicago & Northwestern railway to run their steam pumps at different places - quiet a responsible position and an honor to a lad of thirteen.
Mr. Schrear was born in Prussia, December 25, 1835, and lived in his native land until fifteen years of age. Wm. Schrear, his father, with the family, sailed from Havre, in the fall of that year and after a voyage of a month, landed in New York. He settled at Beardstown, Illinois, and for eight or ten years followed carpentering as a vocation. He then removed to Logan county, Illinois, and later to Macon county, Missouri, where he and his wife died.
George Schrear lived in Logan county, Illinois, until 1888, coming at that time to Cheyenne county. He at once filed on a homestead and timber claim on section 20, township 15, range 51, and started to build a home and develop a farm. He acquired a three hundred and twenty-acre ranch and engages in stock raising on quite an extensive scale, also cultivates about seventy-five acres. He has at the present time twenty-five to thirty head of cattle and ten to fifteen horses, and has all good improvements necessary for the proper operation of his ranch. Mr. Schrear was married in Logan county, Illinois, to Abigail Robinson. Mrs. Schrear was a native of New York state, and died on the home farm in 1907, leaving a sorrowing family, and many friends to mourn her loss. She was a lady of most estimable character, and greatly beloved for her kindly disposition and generous nature. There were three children born to Mr. Schrear and his wife, namely: William, holding the position of section foreman of the Union Pacific at North Platte, Nebraska; and Henry and Rebecca. Henry Schrear was born in Logan county, Illinois, October 13, 1875, and is now living on the home ranch, assisting his father in carrying on the place. He is a thorough ranchman and is a young man of fine ability, energetic and industrious. The daughter also lives at home.
Mr.Schrear is a Democrat in
political sentiment, and is an earnest worker for party
principles. The family were members of the Christian church in
Illinois. A view of the home is shown on one of the illustrated
pages of this volume.
Justin V. Jardee was born in Oswego county, New York, September 9, 1849, where his father, Joseph Jardee, was engaged as a machinist. He died in Buchanan county, Iowa, in 1883, and is remembered as a man of high character, and genuine worth. Catherine M. (Johnee) Jardee, the mother of Justin V., had a family of sixteen children, of whom Justin is the eighth, and reared them to honesty, industry and frugality.
When Justin V. Jardee had reached the age of twenty-four years, he left home, and started out in life for himself. He was married in Iowa to Miss Catherine Menuey. Her father, Anton Menuey, came to Rock county in 1891, and here he died ten years later. He was a man of more than usual parts, and was most highly regarded by those who knew him best. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Jardee were born five children, Lewis H., Justin A., Albert E., Emma F., now the wife of James Brown, Leadville, Colorado, and Edward L.
After their wedding Mr. and Mrs. Jardee remained in Iowa, and engaged in farming on rented land for about ten years, but as the profits of his labor did not seem to remain with him, they finally concluded to seek a home in a region where government land could be still secured. For that purpose in 1883 the family came to Newport, Nebraska, bringing with them a team and wagon, three cows, and enough money to build with. Mr. Jardee settled on a homestead claim in section 6, township 31, range 17, and began farming operations after the old frontier fashion with sod corn and vegetables.
Success has attended his
operations from the beginning, and though he has experienced many
trials and tribulations, yet his career has, taken altogether,
been quite free of misfortunes of the more serious cast. By
availing himself of the provisions of the tree claim act, Mr.
Jardee was able to secure an additional quarter section, and as a
consequence owns today a half section of land, which it is to his
pride and credit compares well with any other farm in the county.
His buildings are modern and convenient. The grove on the farm has
some very choice forest trees, with many fine pines. A view of the
home and surroundings in shown on another page of this volume.
Mr. Hook was born in Bartholomew county, Indiana, February 2, 1835, of American parents. He was reared there on a farm, and was the eldest of six children. At the age of eighteen years he began working at the carpenter's trade in Iowa, following that for a time, then started farming, combining the two occupations. He came to Cherry county in 1886 and took up a homestead and after proving up on it sold it to his son-in-law, and later took an additional four hundred and eighty-acres farm, situated on the Niobrara River. This is fairly good land altogether, two hundred and forty acres being farming land the balance hay and pasture. Here he has built a good house, fenced the place and has built the place up in good shape. In the early days after coming here he ran a sawmill on his farm and returned to that occupation in the spring of 1908, setting up a mill on the Niobrara south of Cody. All of his life was been spent on the frontier, and he likes the west.
Mr. Hook was married in 1860 to Miss Martha Hill, born in Illinois in 1838, she died in Nebraska in 1880. Her parents were pioneers of Illinois, and later were among the early settlers of Iowa. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hook, of which six are living: Ellen, wife of Joseph Jackson, Roswell; Ida married to Harris Johnson, deceased; William, Nettie, wife of Rollin Poland, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume: and Etta, wife of George Barnes.
Mr. Hook has always been active in local affairs in his community. In 1863 he was elected sheriff at Yankton, South Dakota, and served for one year. He is a Democrat in political affiliations.
the year 1850, settling in McLean county, Illinois, where he lived for fourteen years. After this they lived in Putman county, Illinois, for eight years, and in 1884 our subject came to this county with his parents, Richard and Elizabeth Getty Morrison, settling in section 13. They bought the one whole section of railroad land, his father breaking the land and putting up buildings. The father died in October, 1887, aged fifty-five years, and after his death the management of the farm fell on his five sons and three daughters. They are as follows: Thomas, who now owns one hundred and sixty acres of good farming land in this township; James, postmaster at Wilcox; John M., located at Loomis, owner and manager of an elevator and milling business, also dealing in grain; Mary W., wife of R. W. Taylor, of this county, both now dead; Richard, who since 1884 has owned and lived on one hundred and sixty acres in section 13, this township; Anna, residing in Chicago, Illinois; Elizabeth, now Mrs. I. O. Redfern, of Holdrege, and Robert M., the subject of this sketch. The mother, now aged sixty-nine years, lives with her children. A sketch of her brother, Hamilton Getty, appears in this volume.
Mr. Morrison is the owner of a one-hundred-and-sixty-acre farm in section 13, township 6, range 20, Phelps county, all of this land being under cultivation. He is successfully engaged in mixed farming, and has a good supply of farm machinery for carrying on a well conducted farm, together with good buildings and comfortable home. He was married in 1900 to Miss Ethel G. McClymont, daughter of James McClymont (a sketch of whom is given in this book), of Industry township, Phelps county. Our subject has three children, as follows: Helen Marguerite, Robert Dewitt and Ethel Miriam.
Mr. Morrison is a man of active public spirit, and takes a leading part in all educational and religious matters in his community. He is director of district No. 60 of his township and has served as trustee and Sabbath school superintendent at Loomis for several years past. In political faith he is a Republican, has served his party as treasurer, and been elected clerk of the Union township several times, but never qualified.
Mr. Hamilton was born in Morgan county, Illinois, in 1829. His parents were pioneers in that state, coming from Kentucky in their youth and built up a good home, raising their family in Sangamon county on a farm. At the age of twenty-two our subject left home and started out to make his own way in the world, following farming in his native state for some time. In 1865 he moved to Livingston county, Missouri, where he farmed for nineteen years, then came to Dawes county. He traveled from Missouri to this region by a team and covered wagon, and although the trip was rough one he was not daunted by any kind of rough experiences, as his entire life had been spent on the frontier and he was well used to a pioneer's life. After coming here he located on a tract of wild prairie land in section 10, township 31, range 50, where he put up a rude log cabin, and still lives on this place. Here he has gone through the drouth periods when nearly all his crops were destroyed, and has often met with discouragements and loss, but never gave up courage, and is now well repaid for his perseverance and industry. He is owner of a ranch of nine hundred and sixty acres, two hundred acres of which is cultivated, and is extensively engaged in stock raising, running a large number of horses and other stock. His ranch is all fenced, and Indian creek runs through the farm, making plenty of good water all the year around.
Mr. Hamilton has been closely identified with the development and up building of the agricultural and commercial resources of this section of Nebraska, and his name deserves a prominent place in the history of it s growth.
in every way has northern Nebraska become since his career began on these prairies.
Mr. Fox was born on a farm, in Green county, Pennsylvania, September 3, 1846, and was reared to a life of honorable labor. His father, Allen Fox, was a farmer of Irish parentage, and never came west of Ohio. His mother, Sarah Hickman, was born of English parents, and was the mother of eight children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the fifth in order of birth. He started out in early life for himself, and donned the blue during the closing scenes of the great war for the Union, enlisting in March, 1864, and serving until August, 1865, as a member of the Fourteenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, under the command of J. M. Schoonmaker. He made a good record as a soldier, and as the years advance no scenes in the course of his varied career are dearer to him than those that recall tented field and battle line when he, a youth aflame with martial ardor, followed the starry banner until it floated free over a land of union and liberty for all.
The wedding of Mr. Fox and Miss Sarah Ann Evans was celebrated December 20, 1866, and to them were born, Lawrence V., Forney L. G., Lindsay J., Sherman A., Daisy D., and Franklin G., all attaining manhood and womanhood, there having been no death among them to the present time. The newly married couple spent two years in Pennsylvania, and then removed to Licking and Franklin counties, Ohio, where for fourteen years Mr. Fox was busily engaged in farming, and establishing quite a large business in digging ditches for tiling swamp land and was noted as an expert in this line of industry. In the fall of 1884 he made his first appearance as a settler in Rock county, Nebraska, after having spent two years in Des Moines, Iowa, and took a pre-emption claim on Ash creek, on section 10, township 31, range 17.
This not proving an entirely satisfactory location, he accepted a good price for it, and bought a relinquishment of section 14, township 30, range 17. He owns at the present time the east half of section 14, and the northwest quarter of section 24, of the same township and range. In all, he owns and operates four hundred and eighty acres, and, as noted above, has made it one of the most notable farms of the entire region.
When Mr. Fox arrived in Nebraska he had sixty-three dollars in money, having chartered a car for household goods and stock, which consisted of one mare, two cows, two hogs and some poultry. He paid fifty-nine dollars for lumber with which he build a one-story shanty, lined with tar paper. Upon his place there is a flourishing grove, all planted and cultivated, by himself. Including the fruit and evergreen trees, he has thirty-one varieties, all free and vigorous growers on his place, and it is a revelation of what may be done in the way of tree culture on the Nebraska prairies. When he began at this work there was not so much as a stick or a brush to be found on the place.
As showing the possibilities of agricultural life in Nebraska Mr. Fox made the following report on his farming operations to the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, at their request, November 14, 1906.
"I raised thirty acres of corn, cost in labor seed forty dollars. I had one thousand two hundred bushels, worth twenty cents per bushel, two hundred and forty dollars. I have three hundred and forty-five tons of hay worth eight hundred sixty-two dollars and fifty cents. I consider my farming this year for three hundred and twenty acres has yielded two thousand dollars.
Farm land sells here for ten dollars per acre. I raised this season on thirty-five square rods of land the following crops: Sixty-five bushels of onions, one weighing two and one-half pounds, receiving from the Iowa seed company the sum of ten dollars as the prize for the largest onion. From seven hills of squashes had two wagon loads, thirteen squashes making a load of a double box, the largest weighing one hundred and twenty-six and a half pounds. Also had fourteen bushels of potatoes, one and a half bushels of onion sets, two pounds of onion seeds, one barrel of pop corn, and at the market price here, this land netted about fifty-two dollars, including ten dollars prize money. This land was not irrigated." This report was widely published and did much to turn home seekers in this direction.
Two prize winning onions, raised by Mr. Fox in successive years, weighed one pound thirteen ounces and two pounds nine ounces, respectively, each onion securing a prize of ten dollars. Ten cows in the dairy branch of his farming net $6 per week the year round.
Mr. Fox has on his place some two hundred apple trees that are vigorous growers and fine bearers of very desirable fruit. In fruit as in everything else he has sought the best, and will not be satisfied with inferior articles in grain, stock or land. In political matters he is a Republican, but has steadfastly refused to become a candidate for any official position.
He has many friends, and takes a deep interest in everything pertaining to the general welfare of his town, withholding his support from no enterprise calculated to prove of public good. He is a comrade of the Stuart post, Grand Army of the Republic.
Bert J. Bates was born in Wayne county, New York, December 28, 1866, and grew up in that locality. At the age of twenty years he came west, arriving in Cheyenne county February 20, 1886, where he followed farming and ranching during the early years. He filed on a homestead in section 34, township 14, range 47, proved up on the land, and is now owner of eleven hundred and twenty acres, all in one body, besides a tract of one thousand acres of tableland, situated about twelve miles north of Lodgepole. He has seventy-five acres of the original homestead under cultivation, and has the balance in hay and range, and has been engaged principally in ranching during the past sixteen years. He is at present devoting his attention exclusively to horses, running about fifty head.
When Mr. Bates landed in Nebraska all the money he had in the world was five dollars, from which small beginning his success has been remarkable, as he has accumulated every dollar of his property through his industry, integrity and strict attention to business, entirely unaided. About 1904 he removed to Lodgepole from his ranch, and started in the livery business, carrying that on for about two years, after which he discontinued hiring horses and conducts a feed stable. In 1906 he established himself in the real estate business, which has grown to large proportions in the short time he has been engaged in the work.
Mr. Bates was married on June 18, 1889, in Cheyenne, Wyoming, to Miss Belle Scanlan, who was born in Niota, Illinois, April 1, 1867. The parents of both of them have passed to the great beyond. Five children have been born to them, named as follows: Verne, Ruby, Bertha, Doris and Nellie, all living at home, forming a charming and interesting family. Mr. Bates is prominent in local, county and state affairs. He is a member of the town board, and a director in the People's Bank of Lodgepole. Politically he is a Republican. He affiliates with the Masonic order at Chappell and the Woodmen at Lodgepole.
Clarence C. Coble was born in Darke county, Ohio, in 1868. His father, Henry, was a leading ranchman and old settler in Grant county, and he married Caroline Speelman, of Darke county, Ohio. Our subject was reared in the east, receiving a common school education, and in 1888 came west, locating in Grant county, and was the first of his family to emigrate so far west. His first location was seven miles south of Hyannis, and there he put up a rough shanty, stable and corrals for his stock, all being built of sod and the roof of his house was made of poles and rushes, covered with sod, but of late he has built a find modern residence. His first team were a pair of oxen, and he did all the work of breaking land and hauling supplies for the first eight years. His start was on a very small scale, and during the first four years he lived all alone, cooking his own meals and caring for all his wants. He often was an eye witness to serious fires which burned the surrounding prairies bare of grass, etc., and many times worked entire days and nights helping save property in his vicinity. He also spent a good deal of his time working on ranches as a
© 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Chris Geis, T&C Miller