Resource Center, On-Line Library
National army in 1918, and was in training at Camp Funston when he received his honorable discharge. The father of Mr. Lamm is one of the capitalists of Scottsbluff county, to which he came in 1904. He purchased a section of irrigated land and still owns a part of it together with other valuable properties. He has been one of the sound disciples of Democracy in the county, but has never accepted a public office. He is a member of the Christian church.
William H. Lamm first attended the country schools near his father's farm in Iowa, then Palmer College at Marshalltown, and Capital City Commercial College at Des Moines, Iowa. He, as the eldest of the family, early took on responsibility, assisted his father in his agricultural industries, and for several years engaged also in teaching school in Iowa, during one year teaching at Thayer. In April, 1904, he came to Scottsbluff county, and from that time until 1915 was mainly occupied with farm activities, although, during three years of this period he served as deputy sheriff. From early manhood he had interested himself intelligently in public affairs, believing good citizenship demanded such a course. He has always been identified with the Democratic party and is fully in accord with the present administration at Washington. In 1915 he was called from his farm to become postmaster of Gering and, as indicated above, has fulfilled every expectation.
On May 13, 1911, Mr. Lamm was united in marriage to Miss Maude L. Abbott, who was born in Indiana. They have two children: Thelma Maxine, who attends school, and Lyman Abbott, who celebrates his fifth birthday in May, 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Lamm are members of the Christian church. Fraternally he is a Mason and belongs also to the Woodmen of the World.
RODOLPHUS M. HAMPTON, president of the First National Bank of Alliance, is one of the early settlers of Box Butte county. No history of the county would be complete without the name of R. M. Hampton, for he has been a resident of this section for thirty-five years. He has lived to see the wide open prairies developed into a smiling green countryside dotted with prosperous towns that are the barometer of prosperity and success. In all movements for opening up the country, the building of railroads, villages and cities he has taken an active and aggressive part and it is such men who have made history in the Panhandle.
Mr. Hampton was born in New Lexington, Ohio, November 14, 1861, the son of William and Mary (Young) Hampton, the fifth of seven children born to his parents. The father owned an eighty acre farm in the Buckeye state and there the boy was reared. He attended the country schools near his home and being assigned the usual tasks to a small boy on the farm grew up sturdy and self-reliant. While still a small lad of twelve he began to earn money for himself by digging coal at Moxahala, Ohio, which was not far from his home, but as he was paid by the bushel he did not make more than sixty-five cents a day. After completing his education Mr. Hampton, at the age of twenty followed the pedagogic profession for five years, in both the country and city schools. He was ambitious to succeed in the world, and after reading of the many openings for a young, vigorous man in the new country in the west came to Nebraska in 1885 to learn what fortune might have in store for him on the plains. There were scarcely more than fifty families in what is now Box Butte county when Mr. Hampton arrived, so that he settled down in a locality where habitations were few, comfort and conveniences scarce and the elements of civilization at their lowest, but the tide of immigration was setting toward the upper Platte valley in the middle eighties, and within a few months after his arrival the population had more than doubled. Soon after reaching the present Box Butte county, Mr. Hampton selected a preemption and timber claim and broke out ten acres on each and putting up a "soddy" he kept "bachelor hall" as he expresses it. He realized that he was not cut out for a frontier farmer, so sought a professional life, forming a partnership in a law firm with James H. Danskin, opening an office at Hemingford. The new firm was kept busy with the many land cases arising over confused titles, where contests had been filed. Many land sharks tried to secure title to land that had been filed on by bone fide settlers previously and used every pretext to obtain possession. Because of this many lively legal contests ensued, but the firm of Hampton and Danskin did their best for the honest settlers and as a result had a fine practice. They tried cases at Hay Springs, Rushville, Chadron, Hemingford and Nonpariel. The present territory of Box Butte county was at that time included in Dawes county with the seat of justice at Chadron, but in 1887, Box Butte was erected as a separate county and the seat of justice located at Nonpariel, so the young lawyers, moved their
office there. They continued in business until February, 1889, when Mr. Hampton resigned from the firm to devote his time and energies to the organization of the American Bank of Alliance, as he believed that there was a great future for banking business in the newly developed country. Associated with him in this enterprise were 0. M. Carter of Omaha, as president; A. S. Reed of Alliance, vice-president; and Mr. Hampton assumed office as cashier. The board of directors consisted of these same officers, J. H. Danskin and I. E. Tash. The new bank was established with a capital stock of $25,000 and operated one year when it was merged into the First National Bank of Alliance, which had a capital stock of $50,000. It was conducted under the same board of directors and the same personnel as to officers. For thirty years Mr. Hampton has taken a leading part in the financial life of the county and the Panhandle. Three years ago he assumed the office of president of this sound, prosperous and progressive house. His high integrity, steady purpose and business foresight have begotten that popular confidence which is so essential in the furtherance of the important enterprise along which he had directed his attention and energies for a quarter of a century, and through which he has gained secure status as one of the representative figures in the financial circles of northwestern Nebraska. Mr. Hampton is also interested in the Lake Side State Bank, of which he is a stockholder and director. From 1900 to 1911, in addition to his financial affairs, Mr. Hampton operated a ten thousand acre ranch located southwest of Alliance which he sold to Hall and Graham.
Today the First National Bank is the leading financial institution of Alliance and Box Butte county; it has a capital stock of $50,000, surplus of $50,000 and deposits of $1,250,000. The personnel of the banking house in 1919 was as follows: R. M. Hampton, president; C. E. Ford, vice-president; F. Abegg, cashier. The board of directors consists of R. M. Hampton, M. Hampton, C. E. Ford, F. Abegg and J. M. Kimberling.
In October, 1888, Mr. Hampton was married at Logan, Ohio, to Miss Minnie Fickell, a native of that place, a daughter of Joseph and Hannah (O'Hara) Fickell. They have but one child living, Dorothy who is attending the Alliance high school. The Hampton family are all members of the Methodist church of which they are liberal supporters. Both Mr. Hampton and his wife are broad gauged liberal minded people who keep abreast of the trend of events and are interested in the development and progress of their commuity (sic) and are willing to support with time and money every laudable enterprise that tends to civic and communal welfare. Mr. Hampton is a Republican in politics and though he takes an active interest in political affairs has ever been too busy to accept public office.
ADA M. HALDEMAN. -- The fact that a woman can hold important public office and has the capacity to direct affairs with executive energy, can no longer be denied or be considered a subject for criticism even by those who once were frankly incredulous. The truth, however, may be acknowledged, that there are comparatively few women in any community who are qualified for such service. In many fields the sex has undoubtedly won laurels, but men have, as a rule, been a little backward in assisting women to positions of great responsibility. Naturally then it may be assumed that unusual personal qualities and marked scholarship pertain to a woman who has three times been elected to the exacting office of superintendent of schools, which testimonial has been given and honor paid to Miss Ada M. Haldeman, in Scottsbluff county.
Superintendent Haldeman was born at Avoca, in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, one of a family of five children born to Francis Wayland and Martha E. (Lewis). Haldeman. The father of Miss Haldeman was born in 1846, at Marion, Ohio, and died in Iowa, in 1886. The mother was born at West Liberty, Iowa, and resides at Gering. Miss Haldman (sic) has one brother and one sister, namely: Henry, who gives attention to the homestead in Scottsbluff county, formerly traveled for the Remington Typewriter Company, but now occupies his leisure in writing for magazines, and Virginia, who is the wife of Nyle Jones, of New Orleans, Louisiana.
Francis Wayland Haldeman accompanied his people to Iowa in boyhood and was reared and educated there. During the Civil War he served two years as a bugler. He came early to Nebraska, went through some pioneer experiences here and did some hunting while looking over land in different parts of the state. He was a nurseryman and understood horticulture and as such was able to treat and preserve many of the early orchards from Grand Island westward. His death occurred in his old home just after he had reserved his homestead in Nebraska. He was a Republican in his political views.
Miss Haldeman completed the high school course before leaving Avoca, Iowa, later se-
curing her B. A. degree in the University of Colorado, and was quite young when she entered the educational field, teaching in the schools of Iowa, Wyoming, and Nebraska. After coming to Nebraska she taught one year in the city of Lincoln and later for one year in the Scottsbluff high school. In 1914 she was elected county superintendent of Scottsbluff county, and after a faithful service was reëlected in 1916 and 1918. She is devoted in her work, conscientiously giving the best that is in her to maintain the high standards she has set for the county's educational progress. She resides with her mother at Gering, the latter of whom still owns the old homestead, on which a feature was made last year of growing sugar beets. The venture proved very satisfactory and the 100 acres in beets yielded a large income. Miss Haldeman owns a homestead in Scottsbluff county, situated one mile north of Toohey. Both she and her mother belong to the Congregational church.
WILLIAM HENRY HARDING.-- The stable character of Gering's commercial life is shown in the many solid, well-financed industries that are prospering here. There are many industrial concerns that have a wide market for their products and thus carry the name and fame of Gering to other sections, while, at the same time, they promote local prosperity by paying high wage scales to expert workmen. One of these to which attention may be called is the large blacksmithing and wagonmaking business that was founded and is carried on here by William H. Harding.
William Henry Harding was born in Decatur county, Kansas, August 5, 1884, the eldest of a family of eight children born to William T. and Mary (Nehls) Harding. The father of Mr. Harding was born in Wisconsin, and the mother was a native of Iowa. They were married in Kansas, and her death occurred in 1900. William T. Harding went to Kansas in early manhood and well remembers seeing great herds of buffalo in the section of 'the state where he settled. He bought a relinquishment claim in Decatur county and lived on his farm there until 1889, when he came to Nebraska and bought another farm, near Gering, and also secured a Kinkaid claim that he has recently sold. He now lives retired at Morrill, in Scottsbluff county.
William H. Harding had public school advantages and was graduated from the Gering high school in 1899. After that he went to work on a ranch and in 1905 took a Kinkaid claim, proved up on it and resided there for five years and then sold. In 1912 he came to Gering and started his present plant and has developed a large business. In addition to manufacturing, he handles farm machinery. As a business man he is held in high esteem, his methods being fair and honorable.
In 1911 Mr. Harding was united in marriage to Miss Bessie Cole, who was born at Miller, Nebraska, and they have four children, namely: Henry, James, Daniel, and Ella. Mr. Harding has never been very active in politics but nevertheless is an intensely active citizen where Gering interests are at stake. He belongs to the Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen, Woodmen of the World, and B. P. 0. E.
JAMES P. WESTERVELT, whose numerous business interests have made him well acquainted with different sections of the western country, has been a resident of Gering since May 15, 1887, when this was Cheyenne county, before Scottsbluff was organized, and is the able manager of the Farmers Mercantile Company of this city. Despite the handicap of meager educational advantages in youth, Mr. Westervelt has not only been a successful man in several business lines, but in at least two counties in Nebraska has served for years in public offices of trust and responsibility with extreme efficiency.
James P. Westervelt was born in Ionia county, Michigan, March 12, 1869. His parents were James H. and Lorena A. (Day) Westervelt, the former of whom was born in New Jersey in 1840 and died in 1908, and the latter in Vermont in 1848, and died in 1912. They married in Vermont and five children were born to them, James P. being the second of the four surviving, all of whom live in this county. Eugene, the eldest, conducts the Scottsbluff Republican; Claude, who carries on a blacksmith business, and Goldie, the wife of P. Gilbert, a commercial traveler. The parents were members of the Baptist church. They moved from Vermont to Michigan in 1868, where James H. Westervelt carried on work as a blacksmith until 1879, when they left Ionia county for Custer county, Nebraska The family lived on the homestead until 1887 and then moved to Gering, where Mr. Westervelt started a general store which he conducted until 1900, when he returned to work at his trade. He voted with the Republican party.
James P. Westervelt was so circumstanced in boyhood that work on the farm was considered more necessary than that he should gain a good education. He remained in the country until 1888 and then went to Banner county, Nebraska, and started a general store in the village of Freeport, where he remained until
1891, during which time he was postmaster. From there he removed to Sheridan, Wyoming, where he followed ranching until 1905, the year he came to Gering. In the meanwhile, for twenty-five years he had engaged in the practice of dentistry, not continuously, but as occasion seemed to demand, having a natural skill in the use of delicate tools and a fair knowledge of the profession through reading and experience. In 1913 Mr. Westervelt assisted in the organization of the Farmers Mercantile Company at Gering, incorporated and capitalized at $20,000, since which time he has been general manager, dividing his time between the store and a valuable farm he owns in the environs of Gering.
In 1908 Mr. Westervelt was united in marriage to Miss Edith W. Sayer, who was born in Iowa. Her father, Reverend E. H. Sayer, came to Gering in 1897 as pastor of the Presbyterian church. He now lives retired. Mr. and Mrs. Westervelt have one son, Leon, who assists in his father's store. Mr. and Mrs. Westervelt are church members and active in many benevolent organizations. He is a Scottish Rite Mason, has held all the offices in the Blue lodge and for four years was master of his lodge. In politics he has always been a Republican and has served in public office in this county, for some years being on the school and town boards and for four years, from 1904 to 1909, was sheriff of Scottsbluff county.
Mr. Westervelt's brother, Claude, drove into Scottsbluff county, May 15, 1887, in true pioneer style with a yoke of oxen, coming across the prairies from Custer county, where he had been living. The next year the father came and opened a small store about the time Mr. Westervelt opened his first mercantile establishment at Freeport, Banner county, so the family has a true pioneer history and has become well and favorably known. in the upper Platte valley.
MATTHEW H. McHENRY, clerk of the District Court and for many years a resident of Gering, was born in Harrison county, Iowa, November 4, 1869. His parents were Oliver 0. and Mary Jane (Hall) McHenry. His father was born in Missouri, near the Iowa line, in 1844, and died in Scottsbluff county, Nebraska, in 1917. His mother was born in 1849, near London, England, and died in Nebraska, December 29, 1915.
The parents of Mr. McHenry came to Scottsbluff county in February, 1889, homesteaded and spent the rest of their lives here. During life he was a merchant and farmer and also operated an elevator. During the Civil war (sic) he belonged to an organization of state guards. In politics he was a Republican. The mother of Mr. McHenry was a member of the Baptist church, but the father belonged to the Latter Day Saints. Of their five children Matthew H. was the second in order of birth, the others being as follows: Elizabeth Ann, who is the wife of John A. Burton, a retired citizen of Upland, California; Lucy Jane, who is the wife of John Springer, a farmer in California; Harry H., who lives on his ranch near Torrington, Wyoming; and Lewellyn O., who is a druggist at Morrill, Nebraska.
Matthew H. McHenry was educated in the public schools and a business college at Woodbine, Iowa, after which he worked on a ranch, still later operating a ranch of his own. He still owns a fine ranch in Sioux county, Nebraska, and a valuable farm situated south of Morrill, Nebraska. Mr. McHenry has always deemed an interest in politics a necessary part of good citizenship. In November, 1911, he was made clerk of the District Court, but had served for four years already as county clerk, attending to the duties ex-officio of the district clerk before the latter office was established. Mr. McHenry has been continued in office ever since. He is one of the county's best informed and most courteous officials.
In December, 1895, Mr. McHenry was united in marriage to Miss Mary Belle Weeks, who was born in Missouri and died in Nebraska, January 18, 1910. She was a member of the Baptist church. She was the mother of three children: Winifred, Wesley O. and Coral, the two younger children being in school. Winifred is the wife of Marvin Downar, who entered military service in the United States on September 22, 1917, accompanied the American Expeditionary Force to Europe and at the time of this writing was with the Army of Occupation in Germany. As a member of company D in ammunition train 314 he went to the front in September, 1918, and was under fire for forty-two days. Mrs. Downar is a deputy clerk under her father. On November 11, 1911, Mr. McHenry was married to Miss Amanda Sappington, who was born in Keith county, Nebraska, and they have one son, John Roger McHenry, who was born in November, 1916. Mrs. McHenry is a member of the Episcopal church. Mr. McHenry is identified with the Elks at Alliance, and the Odd Fellows at Mitchell, Nebraska.
JOSEPH L. GRIMM, county attorney, has justified the confidence that his fellow citizens of Scottsbluff county reposed in him, when they elected him to this important office in
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller