Resource Center, On-Line Library
November, 1918. A native of Nebraska, all her interests are dear to him, and from the beginning of his professional career until the present, it has been his aim to defend her citizens and maintain their rights in the face of the world.
Joseph L. Grimm was born in Saline county, Nebraska, December 23, 1883, one of a family of eight children born to Joseph H. and Esther E. (Hess) Grimm. The late Joseph H. Grimm was a man of both professional and political distinction. He was born in Licking county, Ohio, in 1848, and died January 15, 1911. In 1875 he came to Nebraska and located first at Pleasant Hill, later becoming prominent in public affairs in Saline county and serving two terms in the state legislature from that county. He was an able member of the bar and twice was elected county attorney on the Republican ticket. He married Esther E. Hess, at Mount Vernon, Iowa, who was born in Linn county, Iowa, in 1854, and died June 25, 1907. Of their six surviving children, Joseph L. is the fourth in order of birth, the others being: Mabel, who is a teacher in the schools of Wilber, Nebraska; James J., who is county judge in Saline county; May A., who is the wife of Ralph Woods, a lawyer, of Tacoma, Washington; Clarence, who has been in military service since September, 1917, is a first lieutenant in a regiment of American troops sent to keep order in Siberia, and Hazel, who is the wife of I. H. Shary, of Chester, Pennsylvania. The mother of the above family was a member of the Lutheran church.
Joseph L. Grimm completed the public school course at Wilber, after which he entered the law department of the University of Nebraska, from which he was graduated in 1908. In June of that year he entered into practice at Wilber and continued there until May, 1918, when he came to Gering and opened an office in the Gering National Bank building. His legal talent soon became known and on September 2, 1918, he was made deputy county attorney; on October 8 following, was appointed county attorney and his election followed in November. Mr. Grimm has charge of the bond issue for the proposed new courthouse.
On May 12,1909, Mr. Grimm was united in marriage to Miss Sady E. Kimport, who was born at Garrison, Iowa, and they have two children: Benjamin Hayes, born May 6, 1910, and Esther Rosalee, born June 10, 1915. Mrs. Grimm is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. It has been some years since Mr. Grimm became a Mason and he has continued in good standing ever since and has reached the Royal Arch degree. He is past master of Blue Valley lodge No. 64, F. & A. M., at Wilber, which he served three years and during that entire period missed but two meetings. Politically he has always been affiliated with the Republican party.
LEWIS L. RAYMOND, whose name carries with it the high regard that comes of honorable achievement, is a leader of the bar at Scottsbluff, and a citizen of the county who has served in numerous important official capacities with marked efficiency and great public spirit. A native son of Nebraska, he is a representative of an old pioneer family that settled within its borders almost a half century ago. Mr. Raymond was born October 19, 1871, in Butler county, the son of Seth and Elizabeth (Lovelace) Raymond.
Seth Raymond was born at Millersburg, Ohio, September 9, 1835, but was a resident of Wisconsin when the Civil War came on. He enlisted April 3, 1861, in Company G, Third Wisconsin volunteer infantry and served faithfully as a soldier until he was honorably discharged at Beaufort, North Carolina, in February, 1865. Until the day of his death, June 10, 1910, he bore the marks of the wounds he received at the battle of Winchester, Virginia. On January 16, 1864, he was united in marriage, at Janesville, Wisconsin, to Elizabeth Lovelace, who was born October 4, 1843, at Erie, Pennsylvania. She resides at Scottsbluff, where she is active in the Methodist Episcopal church, to which her husband also belonged. Of their family of nine children, Lewis L. was the fifth in order of birth. In October, 1870, Seth Raymond and his family came to Nebraska and he homesteaded in Butler county, remaining on his land there until August, 1884, when he moved to Dawson county, from there coming to Scottsbluff county in March, 1887. He took up land five miles southwest of Gering and remained on that farm until March, 1892, when he moved into Gering, where he lived a somewhat retired life until 1905. In the spring of that year he came to Scottsbluff, where his remaining years were passed. He was a man of sterling character, was somewhat active in the Republican party and a Mason in good standing in his lodge.
Lewis L. Raymond had public school advantages in early youth and later spent four years in study in the normal school at Fremont. Like many another intellectual young man, he began business life in the schoolroom and more or less continuously taught school for the following fourteen years in Scottsbluff county,
during a part of this time devoting himself to the study of law, F. A. Wright being his preceptor. Mr. Raymond was admitted to the bar, November 17, 1902, and soon afterward started practice in this county, where since then he has been identified with many of the most important cases that have come before the courts. He has not, however, been able to devote his entire time to his profession for his fellow citizens have often called him into public life. He served one term as deputy county clerk, two terms as county superintendent, two terms as county attorney, and one term as county judge, while in 1909 he was elected to the state senate. Since retiring from the political field his law practice has absorbed his attention to a great extent and his high standing at the bar is unquestioned.
On September 1, 1897, Mr. Raymond was united in marriage to Miss Mable Shumway, a member of the prominent Shumway family of this section of the state, and they have three children, two sons and one daughter: Charles R., Jack L., and Evelyn. The daughter is still in school. Both sons entered military service as volunteers in 1918, neither of them being of military age, but loyal and patriotic American youths to the core. Charles R. is a sergeant in the Four Hundred Forty-seventh Labor battalion, at Camp Humphrey, Virginia, and Jack L. is a member of the United States Marines. Mr. Raymond and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In his political convictions he is a Republican.
WILLIAM H. LYMAN. -- The banking interests that go so far to substantiate the importance of Gering, are fortunately in the hands of able financiers and trustworthy business men. With sound, reliable banking institutions in the background, a community is helped in many ways, this possession giving confidence to investing capitalists who largely base their opinion on the showing of the banks. One of these substantial banks at Gering that has been doing a large and safe business here for many years, is the State Bank of Gering, of which William H. Lyman is vice president and active in its management.
William H. Lyman was born at Kearney, Nebraska, August 12, 1886, the youngest of a family of nine children born to William H. and Maria J. (Van Cleek) Lyman, the latter a native of Canada, who now lives at Weeping Water, in Cass county, Nebraska. Mr. Lyman's father was born at Spencer, Massachusetts, came to Nebraska as a pioneer and died here in November, 1917, having conducted an insurance and real estate business at Weeping Water for a number of years. In politics he was a Republican, belonged fraternally to the A. 0. U. W., and was a faithful member of the Congregational church.
William Henry Lyman was educated at Weeping Water. After his graduation from the high school in 1906 his studies were continued in the academy. When prepared to enter business he chose the jewelry line and Holyoke, Colorado, as his business field. He remained at Holyoke for ten years and during that time became prominent in public affairs of the town, serving on the town board and also as mayor. In 1917 he came to Gering and has been identified with the State Bank of Gering ever since, first as assistant cashier. In August, 1918, Mr. Lyman, together with Mr. Denslow, bought the controlling interest in the bank at the same time becoming vice president, with Lloyd Denslow as president. The latest bank statement of 1919, gives the following: Capital stock, $25,000; undivided profits and surplus, $23,000; deposits, $400,000. Mr. Lyman is interested in Scottsbluff county irrigated and ranch lands and is a persistent booster for what he says is the best county on earth.
In 1908 Mr. Lyman was united in marriage to Miss Grace Mowry, who was born on a farm near Marysville, Missouri. Her father, the late Charles M. Mowry, was in the hardware business at Holyoke, Colorado, for twenty-five years preceding his death. Mr. and Mrs. Lyman have one daughter, Anna Mae, an attractive little maiden of ten years. They are members of the Baptist church and willingly helpful in its many avenues of benevolence. Mr. Lyman is somewhat prominent in the order of Knights of Pythias, serving for a time as chancellor commander.
Mr. Lyman has been an independent voter and has at all times felt free to give his political support -to those whose measures his own judgment approved.
ROBERT G. SIMMONS, an able member of the Scottsbluff county bar and formerly county attorney, is widely and favorably known, not only as a young man of brilliant promise in his profession, but as a patriotic soldier when his country needed defenders. Mr. Simmons was in the aviation service.
Robert G. Simmons was born at Scottsbluff, in Scottsbluff county, Nebraska, December 25, 1891, fifth in a family of seven children born to Charles H. and Alice M. (Sheldon) Simmons. Both parents were born in the state of New York, and the mother died in Nebraska in 1918. The father of Mr. Simmons came to Scottsbluff county and homesteaded in 1886
and his family joined him in the following year. He remained on his farm until 1898 when he came to Gering where he conducted a grocery store for a time. He moved then to Scottsbluff, of which place he has been a continuous resident and important citizen ever since, serving for ten years as postmaster of the town and subsequently accepting a place on the board of water commissioners, which he still fills. In politics he is somewhat active in Republican councils, and fraternally he is identified with the order of Modern Woodmen. He is a pillar of the Presbyterian church. He takes satisfaction in the fact that not only his son Robert G. has chosen Scottsbluff county as his permanent home when choice might be made of any other section, but the other members of his family have done likewise, as follows: William L., who is in a contracting business; Otis W., who is also a contractor; Charles S., who is a sign painter by trade; Edith, who is the wife of Lee Harrison; and Ada and Ida, who attend school.
Robert G. Simmons was afforded educational advantages and was graduated from the high school in 1909, following which came two years in Hastings College, and a course in law in the Nebraska State University, from which he was graduated in 1915. He immediately opened a law office at Gering and in 1916 was elected county attorney, continuing to serve in that capacity until October 29, 1917, when he entered the aviation department of the National army and was sent to Fort Omaha for training. Passing every test, and they are many and exacting, he made rapid progress and won the rank of second lieutenant in the air service, for five months having command of a company, with jurisdiction over four under officers. When relieved from service he returned home and resumed practice at Gering where his friends and admirers are many, although for family reasons he is considering the transfer of his office to Scottsbluff. He possesses every requisite for professional advancement.
Mr. Simmons was united in arriage (sic) to Miss Gladys Weil, on June 23, 1917. She also is a native of Nebraska and was born at Harvard, her people being old settlers of that section. Mr. and Mrs. Simmons have one son, Robert G. They are members of the Presbyterian church. Politically Mr. Simmons is a sound Republican and has the reputation of being loyal to his political friends. He is a Scottish Rite Mason and a Shriner.
LLOYD DENSLOW. -- Because of his success in managing the affairs of the Gering State Bank, of which he is president, it might be inferred that Lloyd Denslow has been in the banking business all his life. This, however, is not the case, although, undoubtedly the business ability which he has shown here, has been a leading factor in other enterprises in which he has been equally successful. He is an example of Nebraska's native born, thoroughly educated, steady, ambitious and enterprising young citizens who gives great promise for the future of this commonwealth.
Lloyd Denslow was born at Hooper, in Dodge county, Nebraska, November 7, 1884, the youngest of four children born to Jeremiah and Anna (Sutton) Denslow. The father was born in the state of New York, in 1843, came to Nebraska in 1854, and died in Dodge county, April 22, 1907. The mother was a native of Illinois, born there in 1843, came to Nebraska in 1857, married Jeremiah Denslow at Fontanelle, this state, and died October 21, 1907. Lloyd Denslow has one brother and two sisters: J. H., who owns a large irrigated farm near Denver, Colorado; May, the wife of Charles H. Lyman, who is in the real estate business at Polson, Montana, and Nina, the wife of Dr. T. Wiglesworth, a practicing physician at Twin Falls, Idaho. Jeremiah Denslow was a freighter in early days. He became a man of wealth and prominence, at one time was put forward by the Prohibitionist party as its candidate for lieutenant governor of the state. Yet, he was in very humble circumstances when he came to Nebraska and has been heard to declare that his sole capital was represented by thirty-five cents and no expectations. He possessed, however, capital of another kind, and in the honorable acquisition of property, and in the building up of a stable reputation, he proved that industry, prudence and personal integrity have high value. Mr. Denslow homesteaded in Dodge county and the family still have this land now grown very valuable. For twenty-five years before he retired from business he was president of a bank at Hooper. He was a Knight Templar Mason and always an ardent supporter of the cause of temperance and a firm believer in its final triumph although he was not permitted to see his judgment confirmed.
Lloyd Denslow was graduated from the Hooper high school in 1901, and from the Fremont high school in 1903. His graduation from the Nebraska State University followed in 1908 and after that came one year of post graduate work at Columbia University, New York City. He then entered business and spent two years in Old Mexico, Idaho and Washington, being twenty-six years old when
he returned to Hooper, where he embarked in the real estate business, in which he continued for three years. Mr. Denslow owned a tract of forty acres of land and to that he added forty acres, and was engaged there in farming and hog-raising, together with dealing in real estate up to 1916, when he came to Gering. Here he was identified for a while with the Great Western Sugar Company. Later he sold his eighty acres of farm land, though retaining some holdings in Wyoming, and in association with William H. Lyman bought the controlling stock in the Gering State Bank, of which he was made president. This banking institution is considered one of the most solvent in the state, is amply financed and carefully and conservatively directed.
Mr. Denslow was united in marriage to Miss Alda Gray, November 8, 1913, who is a native daughter of Nebraska her birthplace being Pleasant Dale. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and the devoted mother of their little son and daughter, Jerry and Dorothy, the former of whom was born in 1914 and the latter in 1919. An independent voter from early manhood, Mr. Denslow has felt free to give his political support to men and measures approved by his own judgment. During the World War in which the country was engaged, he never failed in any patriotic duty and served as chief clerk on the draft board for almost a year. He is a Scottish Rite Mason and a Shriner, and is past senior warden of his lodge. In religious belief the faith of the Unitarians attracts him.
JOHN S. PECKHAM, at the head of a prosperous general automobile business operated under the style of the Peckham Motor Company, at Gering, Nebraska, is a practical and experienced automobile man, having had special training in this line of mechanics. He has been in business for himself since 1911 and has been located at Gering since 1917.
John S. Peckham was born at Kearney, Nebraska, February 8, 1888, one of a family of eight children born to George F. and Roselle (Lyons) Peckham. The father was born in 1843 in Wisconsin, and died in Nebraska in 1914. The mother was also born in Wisconsin, seventy years ago, and still survives. Of their seven surviving children, John S. was the seventh in order of birth, the others being: Mina, the widow of Charles Esley, formerly with Booth & Co., Denver, Colorado; Nellie, the wife of H. W. Van Meter, of Lincoln, Nebraska; George, who resided at Kearney; Eva, the wife of B. P. Cutting, a traveling salesman in Nebraska for the Nebraska Buick Automobile Company; Cornelia, the wife of Roy Flemming, a contracting painter at Scottsbluff, and Ralph, a conductor on the Burlington railroad. The father of the above family served four years in the Civil War, as a wagoner in the Eleventh Wisconsin infantry, escaping permanent injury although often in great danger. He came to Kearney, Nebraska, in the eighties and for a number of years afterward was in the pump and windmill business. He was a member of the Baptist church.
John S. Peckham attended the public schools of Kearney until the tenth grade, and had further advantages at Lincoln. In that city he went to work for the Cushman Motor Company, in the gas engine department, and remained employed at Lincoln for the next ten years remaining three years with the Cushman people and the rest of the time was with the Nebraska Buick Automobile Company and the E. E. Mockett Auto Company. He had the best possible mechanical training with these representative concerns and by 1911 was ready to embark in the same business on his own account. He located at Douglas, Nebraska, where he cotinued (sic) until 1917, when he came to Gering where he has done well. He is sales agent for the Buick cars, which has added to his business popularity because of the general confidence in these motors.
In 1913 Mr. Peckham was united in marriage to Miss Madge Allison, who was born at Sterling, Nebraska, and they have two children, namely: Ruth and Ray. Although not unduly active in politics, Mr. Peckham is intelligently watchful of public events as well as local affairs, and casts a Republican vote. He has been a Mason for a number of years and is in good standing in his lodge.
GEORGE B. PECKHAM, well known both in Kearney and Gering in the automobile industry, being an expert mechanician, belongs to an old pioneer family of Nebraska, his father coming here early in the eighties. Mr. Peckham was born in 1877, in Wisconsin. His parents, George F. and Roselle (Lyons) Peckham, were also born in Wisconsin, his father in 1843 and his mother in 1849. The latter survives. The father served four years in the Civil War as a wagoner in a Wisconsin regiment. He was in the well-digging business and after coming to Kearney, Nebraska, he engaged in that business and expanded it and for many years was the leading man in Buffalo, county in the pump and windmill business. His death occurred in 1914. George B. Peck-
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller