Resource Center, On-Line Library
in point is the Great Western Sugar Company, at Gering, of which Robert G. Miller, construction superintendent, has been made superintendent. Mr. Miller not only has had thorough training in construction work, having been identified with machinery and mechanics all his business life, but he is an able man in other directions. He possesses great executive ability, has proved himself able to cope with changing conditions in the industrial world, and has had much to do with the present prosperity of the plant.
Robert G. Miller was born at Burlington, Iowa, April 13, 1871. His father, Peter Miller, was born in Switzerland, and his mother was born in Germany. They came to the United States when young and met and were married at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Nine children were born to them, Robert G. being the fourth, and seven still survive. The mother was a member of the Roman Catholic church. The father of Mr. Miller was a machinist by trade and he followed the same for a number of years at Burlington, Iowa, and later in California. He was an American citizen and in politics was affiliated with the Republican party.
After securing a good, common school education in the city of his birth, Mr. Miller learned the machinist trade and familiarity with every line of mechanics followed. While living in California he embarked in construction work and there and in other places he has erected two mills and like structures. In 1916 he came to Gering and as superintendent of construction erected the mill for the Great Western Sugar Company, and in 1917 went to Bayard and built a mill there. In 1918 he was called back to Gering to become superintendent of the mill he had erected here and has so continued.
In 1897 Mr. Miller was united in marriage to Miss Katie Sawyer, who is a daughter of Jacob Sawyer, a well-known real estate dealer of Los Angeles, California. They have one daughter, Helen, who resides at home. In politics Mr. Miller has always voted with the Republican party.
AUBURN W. ATKINS, who for many years has been a man of prominence in Nebraska, came to Cheyenne county as a cow puncher in 1880. Well educated and with comfortable home environment in the East, when he reached his majority, he chose the freedom and adventure of the West, where he has achieved no small measure of distinction and has accumulated a fortune. Colonel Atkins was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, April 16, 1859, and received his title when serving as a member of Governor Neville's staff.
The Colonel's parents were Levi and Persis Amanda (Clarke) Atkins, natives of Ohio. The father was a soldier in the Civil war, a member of the Eighth Ohio Volunteer, and died from disease caused from exposure, while in the service. Of his four children, Auburn W. is the second of the three survivors, the others being: Angelo, a noted teacher of music at Bowling Green, Ohio, and Frances Genevieve, a widow, who resides at David City, Nebraska. The mother was a member of the Baptist church.
Auburn W. Atkins was young when he lost his father. He obtained his first schooling at Sullivan, Ohio, and Greenville, Mississippi, and later attended the high schools at Tabor and Hamburg, Iowa. He worked on a cattle ranch for a number of years after coming to Nebraska, in the meanwhile homesteading and pre-empting land as opportunity presented, and at the present owns about 4,000 acres and has eight hundred acres under irrigation, this farm being under rental. For many years he has been a heavy raiser of cattle, his activities including buying and selling, and he has prospered exceedingly. Colonel Atkins has been closely identified with irrigation projects and also with railroad construction in this section of the state, as well as Montana, where he built eight miles of road at one time. He also constructed ten miles of the Burlington Railroad south of Bridgeport. He is president of the Alliance Ditch Company and was one of its organizers.
On July 16, 1893, Col. Atkins was united in marriage to Miss Lulia Barnhart, who was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of David A. and Malinda (Moore) Barnhart, who settled at Kimball, Nebraska, in 1878. He was a successful cattle man during his active years and his death occurred in 1911 at Sidney. The mother of Mrs. Atkins lives at Cheyenne. Four children have been born to Colonel and Mrs. Atkins; Clarke W., who enlisted in the aviation department for service in the World War, was in France for seven months and did his full duty; Allan B., is working on his father's ranch; Auburn H., a member of the Naval Reserve corps during the war, has reached home, and Lulia Virginia, is yet in school. All the members of the family have been confirmed in the Episcopal church.
Colonel Atkins has been very prominent in
Democratic politics for many years and was his party's choice for the General Assembly, being defeated by less than one hundred votes. He has served as county commissioner in Cheyenne county and has been a member of the town board and the school board of Bridgeport many times. In 1916-17 he served, as mentioned above, on Governor Neville's staff. He is a Scottish Rite Mason, an Odd Fellow, an Elk and Knight of Pythias. At present he devotes his time mainly to looking after his land and irrigation interests, and maintains a beautiful and hospitable home in Bridgeport.
WILLIAM G. BROWN, D.D.S., who has been engaged in the practice of dentistry at Gering for a number of years, occupies a prominent place in professional circles here and is a member of the medical advisory board of Scottsbluff county. Since locating at Gering he has taken a commendable interest in civic affairs in general and is now serving in the office of city clerk. He was born in Ralls county, Missouri, May 4, 1886. His parents are George and Virginia (Elzea) Brown, natives of Virginia, who located in Missouri prior to the Civil War, and now live retired at New London, Missouri, where the father was in the hardware business for a number of years. Of their five children William Guy was the third born, the others being: Ernest, in the employ of the United States government, lives at Muscogee, Oklahoma; Clifford, a dentist at Ashton, Idaho; Elizabeth, a teacher in the public schools at Lincoln; and Deskin, a sailor on the United States ship Mayflower, having entered military service in 1913.
William G. Brown completed his public school course at New London, Missouri, when he was graduated from the high school in 1903. He then went to work for the Portland Cement Company at Hannibal, Missouri, where he remained four years, being manager of the empty bag department. From early youth, however, he had taken an interest in dentistry and when prepared to study the art scientifically, he entered Creighton Dental college, from which he was graduated three years later, in 1910. He located immediately at Emmerson, Nebraska, where he remained in practice until the fall of 1914, when he came to Gering, where he has had much professional success.
In 1910 Dr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Matie Gaeth, who was born in Nebraska. She is a member of the Episcopal church, is interested in charitable movements and is well-known in social life. Dr. Brown was reared in the Presbyterian church. Politically he is identified with the Democratic party and fraternally he is an Odd fellow (sic) and has passed through all the chairs of the local lodge. Also B. P. 0. E.
TED L. IRELAND. -- While the luxuries of life may be desirable, they can be dispensed with in the interests perhaps of patriotism, or health or economy, but there are certain basic commodities, represented by the general name of groceries, that are absolutely necessary for consumption in every household, in order to keep the balance that means nutrition or ill health. While they may never pose as philanthropists, nevertheless the honest and wide awake grocer in of beneficial influence in a community. The reliable grocer insures his customers receiving full weight and standard goods and his business alertness protects them from unwholesome products that may be put forward under the lure of cheaper price. A leading grocery house of the better class at Gering and one that handles dependable goods only, is that conducted by Ted L. Ireland, in association with his brother Roy M. Ireland.
Ted L. Ireland was born at Arapahoe, in Furnas county, Nebraska, April 13, 1888, the eighth in a family of ten children born to George M. and Mary E. (Sexon) Ireland They were married in Nebraska, but the father was born in West Virginia and the mother in Iowa. They came to Furnas county in the eighties, where the father homesteaded and lived on his farm for thirty years, retiring then to Mitchell, in Scottsbluff county, where he died. The mother still resides at Mitchell. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, as was the father. He served in the Civil War from 1861 until 1865, with rank of first sergeant, and during that time spent six months as prisoner at Andersonville, Georgia. Ted L. Ireland has six brothers and one sister: Wilbur J., in the grocery business at Scotsbluff (sic); William B., an instructor in the university at Lincoln; Charles C., in business at Mitchell, Nebraska; George M., conducts a general merchandise store at Mitchell; Cecil H., in business at Mitchell; Roy M., associated with his younger brother in business at Gering; and Anna, the wife of William Cockle, who is in business with George M. Ireland at Mitchell.
From home on the farm and the country schools, Ted L. Ireland went first to Kearney, where he attended the normal school, (1907), and afterward was a student in the Wesleyan
University, (1915). He was seventeen years old when he went to work for the Mitchell Mercantile Company, with which concern he continued eight years. In 1916 he started a store at Scottsbluff in partnership with a brother, which was proving a profitable investment when Mr. Ireland's plans were disarranged by the call of the government. He entered military service September 6, 1918, at Omaha, going into training for the balloon branch, but the signing of the armistice in November hastened his discharge and on December 23 following he was released. He came then to Gering and embarked in his present grocery enterprise, to which he devotes himself with every indication of unusual business success.
On March 18, 1918, Mr. Ireland was united in marriage to Miss Ethel G. Long, who was born at Holdridge (sic), Nebraska, and they have one daughter, Ruth Elenor. Mr. and Mrs. Ireland are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. His political convictions make him a Republican, and in fraternal life he is an Odd Fellow, and a member of the American Legion.
FRANK B. YOUNG, M. D., a physician and surgeon of wide experience, who has been established at Gering since the fall of 1916, occupies a foremost place in medical circles here as he has done elsewhere. Dr. Young was born in Sherman county, Kansas, August 11, 1878, the son of John and Sophia (Franklin) Young, who were married at St. Louis, Missouri, and settled in Kansas in 1877. Dr. Young's father, also a physician of eminence, was born in Tennessee, in 1836, while his mother was a native of Canada. The father was a graduate of the Missouri Medical college, after which he practised (sic) there until 1879, when he moved to Arkansas and continued active in his profession there until his death in 1914. He served as captain in the Third Missouri volunteer infantry in the Confederate army during the war between the states, and was several times wounded. After the Civil War Dr. John Young was a citizen of Nebraska for several years, being connected with the freighting work of Majors Russell and Waddell, and the Wells Fargo Company. His father died and is buried at Weeping Water, Nebraska. He was a Mason and Odd Fellow, a Democrat in politics and with his family belonged to the Methodist Episcopal church. The mother of Dr. Frank B. Young resides at Springdale, Arkansas. The two other children of the family are: Daisy, the wife of Bruce Holcomb, a banker at Fayetteville, Arkansas; and John, who owns a ranch in New Mexico.
Following his graduation from the University of Arkansas, Frank B. Young began the study of medicine and was graduated in 1900 from the Kansas City Medical college. He entered into practice at Springdale, Arkansas, in partnership with his father until 1913 when he was appointed State Health Officer and spent one year in that position at Little Rock, then became superintendent of the State Insane Asylum there. He continued at the head of that institution until January 1, 1916, when he resumed private practice in the capital, but in the fall of the year came to Gering, where he has built up a gratifying clientele. In 1913-1914 he was president of the Arkansas Medical society, was a member of the Arkansas State Board of Medical Examiners from 1907 to 1913, and was president of the first Board of Health in Arkansas.
In 1912 Dr. Young was united in marriage with Mrs. Jessie Keefer, who was born at Denver, Colorado. Mrs. Young has two children of her first marriage, Charlotte and Hamilton, and they reside with Dr. and Mrs. Young. He is a Scottish Rite Mason of the 14th degree; is Past Grand in the Odd Fellow fraternity; is Past Chancellor in the Knights of Pythias, and belongs to the Elks, and for many years has been a member of the American Medical association. Dr. Young is held in the highest esteem in this city both professionally and personally.
LUTHER F. HAMILTON. -- To all citizens proud of the acknowledged general intelligence of the United States, the published fact that an examining government board in recent years, found so large a proportion of the individuals coming before it illiterate, brought a feeling of astonishment, less, perhaps, to the country's educators than to others. Scholarly men like Luther F. Hamilton, superintendent of the public schools of Gering and widely known in the state, who have devoted their lives to educational effort, possibly understand more completely than others, the lamentable lack in modern days, of that consuming thirst for real knowledge that will lead youth to scale mountains of difficulty in order to obtain knowledge. For many years it has been Superintendent Hamilton's conscientious task to inspire this love of learning in the young by whom he has been continuously surrounded, and his highest aim has been the opening of doors of opportunity for fu-
ture usefulness through awakened and enlightened minds. He came to Gering from other educational fields where he had been highly appreciated, and the influence he has exerted has been marked by constant progress in the city schools.
Luther F. Hamilton was born March 19, 1872, in Macoupin county, Illinois. His parents are William and Mary (Stephens) Hamilton, the former of whom was born in Scotland and the latter in England. They now live retired at Eddyville, Nebraska, having come to this state in 1889 from Illinois. The father purchased land in Otoe county and engaged in farming and raising cattle. In politics he is a Democrat, and both father and mother belong to the United Brethren church. Of their five children Luther F. was the second born, the others being: C. R., who conducts a goat ranch in New Mexico; Ida, the wife of John Johnston, of Seattle, Washington; Minnie, the wife of Ruford Williams, a farmer near Arcadia, Nebraska; and Maggie, the wife of Victor Wall, a farmer and cattleman near Eddyville.
Luther F. Hamilton attended school in Otoe county, in 1888 being graduated from the Pelmyra (sic) high school, immediately following which he began to teach school. In 1890 he entered the Nebraska State University, where he continued his studies for three years, in 1906 securing his A. B. degree and his B. A. degree in 1912, in 1914 winning his M. A. degree. In the meanwhile he continued teaching, first at York college where he was science instructor, and at other points. In the course of years he was made superintendent of the schools of Panama, in Lancaster county, where he remained five years, going then to Douglas in the same capacity for six years, after which he was superintendent of schools at Cook for two years. From there he came to Gering in 1916, and his services here have been of great value.
In 1896 Luther F. Hamilton was united in marriage to Miss Estella Weston, who was born in Wisconsin, and is a daughter of Perry Weston, who located at Panama, Nebraska, in 1889. They have three children, two sons and one daughter, namely: Cecil C., who enlisted in the American army in December, 1917, for service in the aviation department, is yet in France; Keith, who is fourteen years old; and Genevieve, who is eleven years old, both of whom attend school. Mr. Hamilton and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics he is a Republican and fraternally is a Knight Templar Mason and past master of the blue lodge.
FREMONT SCOTT. -- The men who may most confidently be depended upon to build up the substantial structures of business in any community are those who have a varied experience to fall back on. By the light of their experience, often painfully gained, they are able to plan successfully for the future. One of the experienced and representative businss (sic) men of Gering is Fremont Scott, who has the real estate situation well in hand in the Panhandle of Nebraska. He has been a resident of the state since his fifteenth year and to the unusual opportunities offered to those seeking them, in both past and present Nebraska, he attributes much of his success in life, although his friends are not slow in calling to mind his personal efforts that made these opportunities fruitful.
Fremont Scott was born January 15, 1857, in Shenaugo county, New York, the son of Ezekiel G. and Ruth (Wilcox) Scott, both of whom were born and reared in the Empire state. They came to Wisconsin in 1857 and from that state Ezekiel Scott enlisted for service in the Union army during the Civil War. Shortly after becoming a soldier he was taken sick and was so seriously ill that he had to be brought home on a stretcher. After recovery he resumed his former pursuits, being a man of education, and continued to live in Wisconsin until 1872, when, accompanied by his family with one team, he came to Nebraska, driving across country in pioneer style, and homesteaded in Hamilton county. While living there he is credited with killing the last buffalo that was slain in Nebraska. Later he moved to Phillips county, Colorado, where he remained eight years. In March, 1894, he returned to Nebraska and settled in Scottsbluff county and here both he and his wife lived the rest of their lives. The latter was a member of the Presbyterian church. Of their seven children but two survive, Washington and Fremont, both of whom reside in Scottsbluff county.
Fremont Scott completed his public school course after coming to Nebraska. His boyhood and early youth were spent on a farm. Forced by circumstances to depend upon his own efforts, he developed sturdy qualities which have been useful to him ever since, undergoing as have other self-made men a discipline not altogether to be deplored. His first purchase of land was a tract held at $10 an acre, and he earned the money to pay for it
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller