Resource Center, On-Line Library
by working at ditching. That was the nucleus of his present valuable farm of four hundred and twenty acres, which lies in Scottsbluff county. To farming and allied pursuits he devoted, himself until 1913, in which year he came to Gering. Here he embarked in the real estate business and his interests now cover a wide territory, particular attention being given to lands in Scottsbluff county and eastern Wyoming.
In 1878 Mr. Scott was united in marriage with Miss Adelia Florence Moore, who was born in Almakee, Iowa, and they have the following children: Rosie, the wife of Alvee Leonard, residing on Mr. Scott's farm; Daisey, the wife of Emerson Ewing, of Carter Canyon, Scottsbluff county; Ruby Lillian who married Bert Scott, a farmer near Mitchell, Nebraska; Violet, the wife of Zonoua Yates, a farmer south of Gering; Pansy, the wife of Charles Gering, of Gering; Emery G., a farmer and stockman on a ranch in Banner county; and Pearl and Harold, both of whom are at home. All the children have had excellent educational advantages. Mr. and Mrs. Scott are members of the First Baptist church at Gering. Fraternally he is a member of the Modern Woodmen order. Like his father before him, Mr. Scott has always been a sound Republican and at different times has served with great public satisfaction in important county offices. For four years he was in charge of the county jail and also was deputy sheriff for some time.
PATRICK MAGINNIS, pioneer, frontiersman and early settler, today capitalist, landowner, banker and successful business man, has had a career of varied and interesting experiences, from hunting buffalo on these western plains when western Nebraska was a veritable wilderness with settlements few and far between, to the civilized existence of modern days, and few men twenty years his junior show so few of the scars of life. A resident of Nebraska for nearly forty years, Mr. Maginnis knew this country when most of the houses in the central and western section were of sod and has watched with the eye of proprietor the various changes that have been wrought with the passage of the years and the sturdy progressive work of the settlers. He has borne a full share of the labor of development from the earliest years and since irrigation was first attempted along the Platte river, has been one of the most prominent figures and important factors in making what was known as the "Stakes Plains," of the middle west, blossom like the rose and today the rich valley lands of the Panhandle are the most productive in this wide country. It is said that the Irish-Americans always succeed, whether on the public rostum (sic), where they are possessed of golden speech; behind the counter, where business acumen counts for capital; on the farm and ranch, where energy and thrift are in demand and in commercial life of wide range; Mr. Maginnis has proved this to be true and his personal success is so bound up with the development and success of the south west section and all the people who are living, prospering and thriving there that he should be given special mention in the annals of the Panhandle.
Patrick Maginnis is a son of the Emerald Isle, born in County Down, near Belfast, January 6, 1867, the son of Hugh and Alice Maginnis, who were married in their native country in February, 1864, and became the parents of seven children, four girls and three boys: Patrick, of this review; Arthur, who came to the United States, spent his life here and died February 20, 1920, at Lawrence, Massachusetts; Mary Maginnis McAlinden, who has nine children and lives at Airdrie, Scotland; Charles H., who came to America when young and now lives in San Francisco, California, where he is in the government service as a member of the staff of the pure food department, and has one son; Elizabeth, the wife of John Morgan, of Airdrie, Scotland, who is connected with one of the large rolling mills of that city where they are rearing five children; Allen, who married a Mr. Kelly, and Susan who now lives with the mother in Ireland. Mrs. Maginnis is a remarkable old lady of seventy-five years, who still retains much of the vigor of her youth and all her mental faculties. Hugh Maginnis died in his native land in 1905.
Patrick Maginnis attended the public schools in his native country until he was thirteen years of age but being an ambitious lad he had paid attention to the stories told by returning Irishmen from America of the many advantages and opportunities open for a youth willing to work, and August 11, 1880, broke all the dear home ties and sailed for the United States. After landing on our shores he came west to Illinois, locating in Brown county, remained there two years then came to Nebraka (sic) to take advantage of whatever business openings he might find in the frontier country.
Mr. Maginnis had worked in a blacksmith shop in Illinois and after settling in his new home at Aurora, Hamilton county, followed
that vocation until he moved to Sweetwater county, Wyoming where he was employed on a ranch, part of his time being devoted to the necessary blacksmithing of such an enterprise. In 1885, a true pioneer, Mr. Maginnis came to the Panhandle, one of the early residents of the present Kimball county, making his home in what was then known as the town of Antelope, now Kimball. He opened the first blacksmith shop when there were but a few houses and has seen this little frontier settlement grow into one of the flourishing communities of the state. With a successful and growing business, Mr. Maginnis was not too busy to let his inventive genius mature and ripen and during the years from 1885 to 1910 was ever alive to the demands and necessities of the new country opening and developing under his eyes. He was one of the first men of the section to see that the first attempts at irrigation were crude and expensive; he studied over the question of betterment and invented a flume which greatly helped in the infant reclamation projects along the Platte. Within a short period he began the manufacture of the flumes extensively, applied for patents which were granted in 1902. The state used the flume on all its projects in the Panhandle; it was introduced into Porto (sic) Rico and Mexico but during the time it has been in use the patents were infringed on which caused Mr. Maginnis long and expensive litigation and it was necessary for him to obtain a restraining order from the Federal Court which held for years until a decision in his favor was handed down and the question settled for all time by Judge Lewis, of Denver. Since then Mr. Maginnis has increased the output of the flume and in the last year sold more than a quarter of a million dollars worth. As his many and varied interests had grown to such proportions he was induced to sell his patent rights in the flume at an enormous profit and now devotes his time to his landed and commercial interests in Kimball county and the state of Oregon.
Mr. Maginnis' sons have been running a fine hardware store in Kimball for years, and when the father decided to build a large commercial block, the store was not disturbed, the new building was erected around the one doing business and is now housed in the well-known Maginnis block which consists of store on the first floor with office rooms above, one of which Mr. Maginnis keeps for his own use.
Believing in the future of this section, Mr. Maginnis began buying land in Kimball county, when his purchases were the raw prairie. He continued to increase his holdings until he was known as one of the largest land owners in this section of the state. From time to time in recent years he has sold or traded off the largest part but still owns three hundred and twenty acres under water rights and eight hundred and sixty acres of rich farming and grazing land. Not confining his business to Nebraska alone, Mr. Maginnis has purchased valuable land in Oregon, near the railroad station of Redmond, and this land is also under water.
Some time ago Mr. Maginnis purchased a block of stock in the American Bank of Kimball and was elected one of the executive heads of that institution and is vice president. This is one of the progessive (sic) banking houses of Nebraska, having today a paid up capital of a hundred thousand dollars.
In 1888 Mr. Maginnis married Miss Margaret A. Marshall, the daughter of Holmes H. and Isabella Marshall. Mrs. Marshall's first husband was a Mr. Weir, who was the father of the two small children left fatherless when he was accidentally killed. Mrs. Weir later married Mr. Marshall and her children took the Marshall name. The Marshalls were old and respected residents of Kimball, locating here at an early date. Ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Maginnis; Arthur F., Alice Isabella, Robert J., Edward Dewey, Hugh Marshall, Lizzie Margaret, William P., Mary Ellen and a son Charles, who died in 1899.
Mr. Maginnis has taken an active part in the life of Kimball county and the city of his adoption since first coming here to live and may be said to be its foremost citizen in years of residence and worldly goods. His standing with his fellow citizens and in the county is testified to by his election as sheriff of the county which he served for years before being elected county treasurer in 1902 and reëlected, serving until 1905, when he refused another nomination as his growing, business interests demanded all his time and energy. The Maginnis family is one of the best known and prominent in the southern Panhandle where every member has taken and is now taking an important part in the upbuilding of the southwest region. They are one of the oldest families in years of residence, the boys and girls are all popular and well liked, taking after their parents, who are among the most genial and best liked people of the county, ever ready to help their friends, open handed in giving to any cause to build up and develop Kimball and the county.
ARTHUR M. FAUGHT, M. D., formerly mayor of Scottsbluff, and a physician and surgeon whose professional reputation extends over the state, for a decade has been one of this city's most virile and constructive citizens. Illustrative of his public spirit and civic interest, he has been the means of establishing here a umber (sic) of worthy enterprises, included in which is the Mid-West Hospital, an institution deserving high praise as to its aim and accomplishments.
Arthur M. Faught was born July 27, 1884, at Plattsmouth, Cass county, Nebraska. His parents were John and Martha (Root) Faught, both of whom were born also at Plattsmouth. The mother of Dr. Faught died in 1915, but the father survives and resides at Lincoln, living retired after an active business life covering many years, eighteen of which he spent at Phillips, Nebraska, where he was interested in lumber. In his political views he is a Democrat. Arthur M. Faught is the eldest of the family of children born to his parents, the others being: Mrs. Ralph Murphy, of Hastings, Nebraska; Claude J., in charge of the L. C. Smith Typewriter interests at Sioux City, Iowa; Mrs. Grace Busby, of Minneapolis; Justice L., connected with the Bell Telephone Company at Rochester, Minnesota; and Ruth, residing with her father at Lincoln. The family was reared in the Christian church.
Arthur M. Faught is a graduate of the Nebraska State University. In 1905 he was graduated from the medical department of Colton University, immediately afterward engaging in medical practice in Seward county, Nebraska, where he remained four years. In 1909 he came to Scottsbluff and many are the ties that now bind him to this city, where a friendly greeting meets him on every side, and where his devotion to his professional work is deeply appreciated. In 1911 he established here the Mid-West Hospital, which he owns, a thoroughly modern structure with thirty beds. He has been exceedingly successful in his surgical cases, to which he devotes the most of his time, many patients availing themselves of his skill, some from a long distance but many nearer home as indicated by a record that shows that he has preformed (sic) over 2,000 major operations. He has taken post-graduate courses in operative surgery and watched many major operations in the clinics of noted institutions in Chicago.
For six years Dr. Faught was city physician of Scottsbluff; is chairman of the examining board of Scottsbluff county, and is examiner for civil service positions in government offices. He is a member of the American Medical association; the Nebraska State Medical association; the Scottsbluff county Medical society, and the National Electic (sic) Medical association. Politically he is a Republican, but largely because of his general popularity he was elected mayor of this city in 1917. His administration was an admirable one but taxed his strength because of his professional duties, hence he declined to again become a candidate.
On July 25, 1906, Dr. Faught was united in marriage to Miss Rosa Hartman, of Staplehurst, Seward county, Nebraska, and they have two children: Ardon M. and Audry H. Dr. and Mrs. Faught are members of the Episcopal church. Like his father, he is a Thirty-second degree Mason, and belongs also to the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Elks.
NELSON H. RASMUSSEN, M. D., who is meeting with success in the practice of medicine and surgery at Scottsbluff, came to this city in 1917 and already has built up a satisfactory practice and has made many personal friends. Although not born in America, almost his entire life has been spent here.
Dr. Rasmussen was born September 18, 1881, in Denmark, one of seven children born to J. S. and Carrie (Jensen) Rasmussen, who were born, reared and married in Denmark. They came to the United States in 1882 and established a home at Winona, Minnesota, where the father secured employment in a big business plant. He was a steady, dependable workman and not only secured the confidence of his employers, but also of his neighbors. He and family belonged to the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he was an earnest worker, and he was equally active in the cause of temperance. Dr. Rasmussen is the oldest of their children, the three other survivors being: John, who owns a ranch in North Dakota; Mary, the wife of Paul Nelson, of Oregon; and Margaret, the wife of Rudolph Offerman, who operates a hardware store and lumber yard at Cobden, Minnesota.
The public schools of Winona, in which he remained a student until he was graduated from the high school, gave Nelson H. Rasmussen a fair preparation for a future career, but at first it helped him very little in the matter of securing a medical education, which was the goal of his ambition. His father could give him but little assistance and the youth realized that he must depend on his own efforts.
In no way discouraged and never giving up the hope of ultimate success, he went to the Klondyke (sic) region and worked four years in the gold fields there, meeting with some reward. Prior to this, however, he had worked on a Minnesota farm, had tried railroading, and had endeavored to learn the blacksmith trade. When finally he found himself an enrolled student of medicine in the John A. Creighton Medical College at Omaha, he took upon himself various duties in order to pay his way. Possibly it was not always agreeable to act as janitor in the church edifice, as a waiter at table or to spend his Saturday afternoons selling goods in a clothing store while others of his age were on holiday pleasures bent, but, to his credit be it said, he persisted and in these and other ways earned sufficient to not only give himself a fine medical education, but to also enable his sister to take a course in nursing at Omaha. After his graduation, Dr. Rasmussen served a year as an interne in the Creighton and St. Joseph hospitals, and afterwards was associated with Dr. T. J. Butler, at Omaha, and later as assistant to Dr. J. E. Conn, a prominent surgeon at Ida Grove, Iowa. Since coming to Scottsbluff Dr. Rasmussen has given special attention to surgical cases, making specialties of obsterities (sic) and pediatrics.
In 1917 Dr. Rasmussen was united in marriage to Miss Theresa C. Lzingle, who was born at Ashton, Nebraska, and was graduated as a nurse from St. Catherine Hospital, Omaha. They have one daughter, Betty. Mrs. Rasmussen is a member of the Roman Catholic church, while the Doctor belongs to the Christian church. He is an independent voter in politics, but is identified with leading organizations, belonging to various Masonic bodies including the Mystic Shrine, and a member also of the Yoemen and the Danish Brotherhood.
RALPH W. HOBART, judge of the Seventeenth judicial District of Nebraska, is eminently qualified for the high position to which he has twice been called by the votes of his fellow citizens, and in which he has served with conspicuous judicial ability since April, 1911. Through a long and successful career as a lawyer, Judge Hobert won distinction at the bar, and when the Seventeenth District neaded (sic) a broad-minded, well balanced, firm and resolute judge, it was fortunate that he was elected to the bench.
Judge Hobart was born at Calais, Washington county, Maine, March 24, 1865, of English extraction and old colonial stock. The first of the Hobart family on record in this country bore the name of Edmund. He came from England in 1633 and assisted in the settlement of Charlestown, Massachusetts. Judge Hobart's parents were Daniel Kilby and Amy Elizabeth (Whidden) Hobart. His father was born April 15, 1823, in Maine, and died March 15, 1891. In civil life he was in the lumber and commission business, and for sixteen years he held a consular office in relation to the Dominion of Canada. He was married in Maine to Amy Elizabeth Whidden, who was born in New Brunswick, May 21, 1827, and died June 9, 1896. Her father, Reudol Whidden, was a native of New Hampshire. Of the seven children born to the parents of Judge Hobart, he is the second of the three survivors, having two brothers Charles I., and Harry K.
Ralph Whidden Hobart had collegiate training in Kings College, Nova Scotia. Subsequently he came to the United States, entered the University of Michigan where he was graduated in law at Ann Arbor, in 1888, and the following year located for practice in Dell Rapids, Minnehaha county, South Dakota, where he remained eleven years. In 1900 he removed to Columbus, Nebraska, where he practiced until 1906 when he came to Mitchell, and through appointment was called from the bar to the bench in April, 1911. Twice since then he has been elected judge of the Seventeenth judicial District, his jurisdiction extending over the counties of Scottsbluff, Banner, Morrill, Garden and Arthur. Both in public and in private life, Judge Hobart stands as an example of useful, highminded, exemplary American citizenship.
In 1898 Judge Hobart was united in marriage to Miss Anna Maldrum, who was born in Ontario, Canada, and the have one son, Edmund Maldrum. Mrs. Hobart is a member of the Congregational church. Judge Hobart is a Republican. For many years he has been a Mason and Odd Fellow.
THOMAS M. MORROW, the subject of this sketch and the second son of Thomas and Mary (McDonald) Morrow, was born in Lewis county, New York, on the 25th day of October, 1868. His parents were born in Ireland and came to America when quite young. They were united in marriage in Lewis county, New York. Their children are as follows: John, who for the past five years has been receiver of public moneys in the United States land office at Alliance, Nebraska; Thomas M.
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller