Resource Center, On-Line Library
years later moved to Denver, Colorado, for family health reasons. He continued his law practice in his new home until 1909, when he was appointed district counsel of the United States Reclamation Service, which legal division includes the states of Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and Oklahoma, and the onerous duties of this position he performed for ten years.
Desiring to resume private practice of law, Mr. Honnold resigned his federal office on April 1, 1919, the government thereby losing a faithful and tireless official. In connection with his general practice, he now gives special attention to irrigation and water law, and to oil and corporation practice.
In 1904, Mr. Honnold was united in marriage with Miss Julia Christianson, who was born at Le Seuer, Minnesota, she dying in Denver, in 1909. Mr. Honnold's second marriage took place in 1912, to Miss Marguerita E. Van Horn, who was born in Belle Fourche, South Dakota. They have one son, Arthur Rankin, Jr. The family attends the Episcopal church at Scottsbluff. In his political attitude, Mr. Honnold is a Republican. Fraternally, he belongs to the Masons and Eastern Star organizations, and also to the Modern Brotherhood of America, and the Modern Woodmen. A man of intellectual strength and wide reading, historical facts have always engaged his interest, and he has been a member of the Nebraska State Historical Society for a number of years.
CHARLES ELMER LOCKWOOD. -- In noting the representative men of the Panhandle who qualify as early settlers, there are few who came here with more determined purpose to secure a permannt (sic) home in what was then a veritable wilderness than the man whose name heads this review. Pioneer farmer, stock-raiser and real estate dealer, he has played an important part in the development of Boone and Kimball counties and it is to such men that the opening up and settlement of the Panhandle has been due, as he came here in the early days, had courage to hold out during the hard years of drought, winter blizzards and other hardships, for he had faith in the country and this has been justified, for today there are few more prosperous men in this section and not many of them have achieved such a fortune with so small a start.
Mr. Lockwood was born in Odessa, Iowa, June 9, 1866, the son of Alfred 0., and Mary Vesta Lockwood, the former born in Delaware, December 21, 1841. He was reared and educated in his native state, then came west as did so many young men of the period, to engage in farming and stock-raising in Iowa. During the Civil War Alfred Lockwood enlisted in the Union Army as a member of the Iowa Volunteers, serving till peace was established, when he returned to his farm and soon afterward married. His wife was the daughter of Aaron and Mary Brown. Eight children were born to this union: Ella, became the wife of Frank Phillips, both now deceased; Charles Elmer, of this review; Birt O., who lives in Roseburg, Oregon; Maggie M., the wife of Fred Kinney, of Ellenburg, Washington; Emily S., the wife of James Garner, of Rathdrum, Idaho.; Alfred J. D., a farmer of this county; Carrie Pearl, the wife of Mr. Ring, Falls City, Oregon.
In 1878 the Lockwood family left Iowa as the father was desirous to secure some of the good cheap land in Nebraska. Coming to this state he located on the prairies of Boone county, took up a large tract of land and so became one of the earliest settlers of this section. He worked hard to place as much land as possible under cultivation but passed away January 5, 1885 and was followed by his wife almost a year later, leaving the family of children alone. Mr. and Mrs. Lockwood were members of the Methodist Episcopal church and its staunch supporters in the new territory in Boone county.
With the death of the father, the care of the family fell upon the shoulders of Charles Lockwood, then a young man of nineteen years. He had been reared on the ranch, early learned the practical side of farm industry and cattle raising and so assumed entire charge of the business. In 1887, Mr. Lockwood bought the ranch when it was sold to settle his father's estate, he borrowed every dollar it cost as he had nothing of his own to start with and the old homestead became the start of his extensive ranching properties, for he continued to buy more land as he had the money and saw where he could buy advantageously, until he was the owner of 5,400 acres of grazing and farm property in a solid body. Most of this lay in the famous Beaver Valley and nearby. Starting with little but his determination to succeed, and his known ability, which gave him excellent credit, Mr. Lockwood began to handle from 1,000 to 1,500 head of sheep and from three to six hundred head of cattle, about 500 head of hogs and in addition pastured many hundred head of cattle and horses. N. P. Dodge, a distant relative, believed in the young man and it was through him that credit was obtained in Council Bluffs, Iowa. This
Dodge was a brother of the well-known Gen. G. M. Dodge, of Union-Pacific fame.
In 1909 Mr. Lockwood sold his ranch in Boone county and came to Kimball county, locating his home in the town of Kimball in 1910. He at once bought several sections of land here and at the same time conducted a real estate office. During the short time he was engaged in this business, Mr. Lockwood sold a large amount of land in the county. From time to time he has purchased other ranch property and today holds some 8,000 acres of valuable Kimball county land. He has invested in property in the states of Oregon and Florida, owns valuable holdings in the city of Kimball and has a fine home at Long Beach, California and today is regarded as one of the successful and substantial citizens of Nebraska, where he has resided for more than forty years.
January 8, 1890, Mr. Lockwood married Mrs. Abbie Derbyshire, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph St. Louis, of Boone county, Nebraska. They were of French Canadian ancestry, though born near Oswego, New York. Three children were born to this union: Myrtle, the wife of Roy H. Kennedy, a merchant of Grand Island, Nebraska, and they have two fine children; Joseph Alfred, associated with his father in business is now farming in Kimball county, this son entered the army during the World War and was sent to Manhattan, Kansas, for his training and received his honorable discharge at the close of the war; and Lloyd Lincoln, who married Miss Nellie Rose, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Rose, of Kimball county. This son entered the army during the World War and was sent to Camp Funston for his training. At the signing of the Armistice he received his honorable discharge and returned home and has been associated with his father in the real estate business. Mrs. Lockwood died Dec. 21, 1899, in Boone county. She was a member of the Christian church and the Royal Neighbors. January 2,1901, Mr. Lockwood was married a second time to Mrs. Anna R. Sams, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Brooks, of Carthage, Missouri, where they had settled at an early day and became well and favorably known in the southwestern part of the state. Three children have been born to this union: Charles Oliver Martin, now in high school in Kimball and a well-known athlete of the western part of Nebraska; Nadine Onetta, also in the high school, and Odetta Vesta attending the grade schools.
For over thirty years Mr. Lockwood has been a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, he is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Royal Highlanders, while the family are members of the Presbyterian church in which the children take an active part, as Charles has served as delegate to the Christian Endeavor Society conventions of the state.
Mr. Lockwood is one of the progressive men of his community, stands for progress and advocates those measures which tend to the upbuilding of his county and city; for years he has been a leading factor in every important public-spirited movement promulgated and his high standing in business circles makes his influence a valued and valuable one.
JOHN B. COOK, one of the younger generation of business men at Scottsbluff, is setting an example in energy and enterprise that may well be imitated. Within the comparatively short period that he has resided here, he has displayed business ability of a high order, and has exhibited both business and social qualities that reflect credit on his upbringing. Mr. Cook was born in his parents' beautiful home at Beatrice, Nebraska, March 24, 1897, the youngest of four children born to Daniel Wolford and Elizabeth (Case) Cook.
The late Daniel Wolford Cook, was a man of large affairs in Gage county, Nebraska, where his death occurred in March, 1916. He was born March 27, 1860, at Hillsdale, Michigan, a son of John P. and Martha (Wolford) Cook, and a descendant in a direct line from William Bradford, who came to the shores of America in 1620, in the Mayflower, and who for thirty years was governor of Plymouth colony. His great-great-granddaughter, Mary Bradford, who married Captain David Cook, who distinguished himself in the Revolutionary War. But Daniel Wolford Cook needed no long line of illustrious ancestors to establish his place in the history of his country or the hearts of his fellow men. In his thirty years of active business life at Beatrice, he was largely, although not exclusively, interested in the Beatrice National Bank and was president of its board of directors from 1905 until his death. He devoted a part of his time to agricultural pursuits, and took much interest in the breeding of fine stock. In business, however, especially banking, Mr. Cook was best known. From 1891 until his demise, he was vice president of the Bankers Life Insurance Company of Lincoln, Nebraska, and in this enterprise was associated with large financiers in the state. Always interested in the growth and development of Beatrice from the
time he located there in 1884, he contributed generously to many public enterprises, notably to the establishment of the numerous beautiful parks of the city. His marriage to Miss Elizabeth Case was celebrated December 22, 1883, and the following children were born to them: Daniel Wolford, cashier of the Beatrice National Bank; Mary E., the wife of William C. Ramsey, of Omaha; William W., who was accidentally drowned in the Big Blue river, in August, 1905, and John Bradford, who is now a resident of Scottsbluff. A more extended memoir of Mr. Cook may be found in the History of Gage county, recently issued by the Western Publishing & Engraving Company.
John Bradford Cook was graduated from the Beatrice high school in 1914, and from the State University in 1918, in March of the latter year coming to Scottsbluff. Here he was bookkeeper in the First National Bank for four months, at the end of which period he entered the naval service on the United States Steamer Philadelphia and belongs yet to the reserves. On his return to Scottsbluff, he went into the real estate and farm loan business and sold $70,000 worth of real estate during his first month of effort. He proposes to continue in this line and also to utilize his 1080 acres of irrigated land in cattle feeding, going into this as a profitable prospect and as a patriotic measure.
At Chadron, Nebraska, Mr. Cook was united in marriage to Miss Edna Coffee, who is a daughter of Buffington Coffee. She is a highly accomplished lady, was educated in the Chadron schools and the State University, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Cook retains his interest and membership in his college fraternity, the Phi Kappa Psi.
FRANK A. McCREARY, mayor of Scottsbluff, has been an active business man of this city for a number of years. Because of his sterling character and upstanding American citizenship, he has been a man of influence in the community, and his circle of friendly acquaitance (sic) reaches all over the state. He was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, March 23, 1868, a son of James and Catherine (Craig) McCreary.
Mayor McCreary's parents came to Nebraska from Illinois. The father was born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, September 26, 1838, and the mother in 1843. She is a much esteemed resident of Scottsbluff, but the father died here in March, 1919. In politics he was a Republican and he belonged to the order of Modern Woodmen. He was one of the pillars of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which organization the mother of Mayor McCreary continues to be active. Of their family of five children three survive: Craig, who is associated with his brother in business; Frank A., who is mayor of Scottsbluff, and Lula, the wife of William Bentley, who is a merchant at Morrill, Nebraska. After their marriage in Pennsylvania, James McCreary and wife moved to Ohio, from there to Illinois, and in 1873 to Nebraska. Mr. McCreary homesteaded in Buffalo county and lived on his land there until 1890, when he moved to Shelton, and from there came to Scottsbluff in 1915.
Frank A. McCreary spent his early life on a farm and attended school at Shelton, where he later embarked in the mercantile business and remained so occupied for five years. In 1899 he came to Scottsbluff county and remained one year at Gering, in business as a general merchant, then came to Scottsbluff and formed a partership (sic) with George B. Lift. Within a year he bought his partner's interest and continued the business alone for another year, when his brother Craig also came to Scottsbluff. Since then the brothers have been associated under the firm style of McCreary Bros. The business has been expanded to include undertaking, while in the handling of general hardware, furniture, rugs, questers (sic*) and musical instruments, no other house in the county approaches them in complete lines or value of stocks.
In 1901 Mr. McCreary was united in marriage to Miss Madalaide Robb, who was born in Texas, daughter of Seymour Robb, formerly sheriff of Cheyenne, Wyoming. They have one child, Lorraine, who is attending school. Mrs. McCreary is a member of the Presbyterian church. Mayor McCreary is a Scottish Rite Mason and a Shriner and belongs also to the Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen. Since early manhood he has been zealous in the interests of the Republican party, and on numerous occasions has been selected as its candidate for public office. He was a member of the first village board of Scottsbluff, and served one term as coronor (sic) of this county. On April 1, 1919, he was elected mayor, and being a thorough business man as well as public-spirited citizen, commanding the support of the best element of the public, Mayor McCreary will undoubtedly give the city an admirable administration. With the added pressure of public responsibility to his business cares, he decided to part with his fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres of irrigated land, and a satisfactory sale has recently been effected.
FRANKLIN E. NEELEY, cashier of the Gering National Bank, came to the institution in this capacity, in May, 1910, at which time he had the distinction of being the youngest bank cashier in the state of Nebraska. Mr. Neeley has continued with the bank ever since, an obliging yet careful, conservative official who holds its interests paramount, although necessarily giving some attention to other enterprises in which he is individually concerned, and to the duties that several public offices impose.
Franklin E. Neely (sic) was born at Fremont, Nebraska, August 21, 1890, a son of Robert F. Neeley, one of the old and substantial residents of Scottsbluff county. Mr. Neeley is indebted to Fremont, Gering, and Omaha for thorough educational training. Following his graduation from the Gering high school in 1907, he entered Creighton College, where he took a business and a law course. His banking experience began in 1909, at Sheridan, Wyoming, shortly afterward transferring to the Scottsbluff National Bank, where he remained a year and then came to the Gering National Bank as an executive. His early life had been spent on a farm, but his talents so unmistakably indicated a business career that it was the part of good judgment to educationally prepare for commercial life. For eight years Mr. Neeley has been in charge of the finances of Gering, being both school treasurer and city treasurer. He also supervises the management of three farms.
In 1916 Mr. Neeley maried (sic) Miss Ruth Carroll, who was born at Butte, Montana, moved later to Michigan, but was educated in the University of Nebraska. She is a member of the Episcopal church. Mr. Neeley is a Scottish Rite Mason and a Shriner. In his political views he is a Democrat with independent tendencies.
SEVERIN SORENSEN, who is one of the best known men in the brick industry at Gering, Nebraska, has built up a fine business as a brick manufacturer and contractor since he came to this city in 1908. He has supplied brick for many off the finest structures here and has a solid reputation as a business man. Mr. Sorenson was born in Denmark and lived there until he was thirteen years old.
The parents of Mr. Sorenson were Jens P. and Christiana (Jensen) Sorenson, natives of Denmark. They had ten children and Severin, who was born November 21, 1855, was the fourth in order of birth. They came to America and settled at Avoca, Iowa, June 22, 1869, where the father worked at brickmaking, moving later to Harlan, in Shelby county, where both parents of Mr. Sorenson died. They were members of the Baptist church.
Severin Sorenson attended school in Denmark and after accompanying his parents to the United States, worked for three years on an Iowa farm. He knew that his father's trade was a good one and chose the same for himself, learning brickmaking at Council Bluffs, where he worked four years. He then located at Harlan, Iowa, where he began contracting and remained until 1882, when he transferred his business to Minden, Nebraska, where he made brick and engaged in brick contracting until 1889 and then moved to Denver, Colorado. At that time business prospects in his line were very promising at Denver and Mr. Sorenson accepted many large contracts, on the most of which he lost heavily when a business panic paralyzed all industries. Hence, when he came to Gering in 1908, Mr. Sorenson practically had to begin all over again. He has much more than retrieved his fortunes since coming here and is in comfartable (sic) circumstances.
On August 2, 1881, Mr. Sorenson was united in marriage to Miss Anna Markusen, who was born also in Denmark, and they have the following children, a large family, the members of which are respected wherever known: Carl, who is a carpenter and bricklayer, at Gering; Herman, who is in partnership with his father; May, who is the wife of Bernee (sic) Knudson, of Denver, Colorado; Emma, who is the wife of Dr. Warrick, in the garage business at Scottsbluff; Louis, who has but recently been discharged from military, service, entered the National army in December, 1917, was first assigned to duty in Texas, later in New York and still later. in England, where he was in the air service; Peter, who entered military service in the fall of 1917, remained in the training camp at Fort Funston until he was honorably discharged in January, 1917; Anna, who is the wife of R. W. Smith, now a farmer northwest of Morrill, but previously the contractor who built the Fraternity building at Gering; and Otto, Martin, Raymond, Walter and Helen, all of whom live with their parents. Mr. Sorenson has never been an office seeker, but he is intelligently interested in public affairs and gives ihs (sic) political support to the Democratic party. He is a member in good standing of the Gering lodge of Odd Fellows.
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller