NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library

Charles F. Coffee



Morrow; Lavinia, a teacher in the public schools of Bayard, Nebraska; William, law partner of Thomas M. Morrow; Anna, wife of George G. Cronkleton, cashier of The First National Bank of Bayard, Nebraska; Frank, physician and surgeon at Columbus, Nebraska, and Mary, the wife of J. P. Golden, a real estate dealer of O'Neill, Nebraska, all of whom were born in Lewis county, New York, except Mary, who was born in Holt county, Nebraska. In 1879, Thomas and Mary McDonald Morrow moved with their family from Lewis county, New York, to Holt county, Nebraska, where they settled upon a homestead and continued to reside until 1906 when they sold the homestead. They then went to Denver where they remained for about one year and moved from there to Scottsbluff, Nebraska, where they now reside.
   Thomas M. Morrow received his early educational training in the public schools of Holt county, Nebraska, and in 1892 graduated from the Fremont normal school. During the following year, he was principal of the public schools of Oakdale, Antelope county, Nebraska, and during the next year superintendent of the public schools of O'Neill, Holt county, Nebraska. While engaged in educational work, he also pursued the study of law and was admitted to the bar in February, 1894. In September of the same year he began the practice of law at Gering, Nebraska, where he remained until 1899. In 1896, he was united in marriage to Miss Lizzie Carlon. On October 26, 1897, William and Mary Morrow, twins, were born of this marriage at Gering, Nebraska.
   While located at Gering, Nebraska Mr. Morrow acquired a reputation as a lawyer which was far above the average practitioner in western Nebraska. In 1899, Mr. Morrow desiring to enter a broader field for the practice of his profession, moved to Omaha with his family with the intention of making that city his permanent home. Shortly after establishing himself in the practice of law in Omaha, his wife's health commenced to fail and he was compelled to move to Denver in the following year for the benefit of her health. Hoping that the climate of Denver would soon restore her health, he abandoned all idea of returning to Omaha and opened a law office in Denver, but her condition gradually grew worse and she died in April, 1901. On June 13, 1907 he was again married to Margaret L. Rank and they have two daughters, Lettie and Catherine, aged respectively eleven and seven years. Owing to the reputation acquired by him while located at Gering, Nebraska, he was from time to time, while living in Denver, called back to western Nebraska for the trial of important cases.
   In 1903, his brother, William Morrow, graduated from the law school of the University of Nebraska, and for three years thereafter was associated with him in the practice of law in Denver. The two brothers realized the great possibilities of the North Platte Valley and in 1906 shortly after the construction of irrigation ditches in the valley was begun on a large scale, it was decided that William Morrow should open a law office in Scottsbluff and conduct the business under the firm name of Morrow & Morrow. Although it was then thoroughly understood that the connection of Thomas M. Morrow with the firm was limited to such cases as he actually and personally assisted in trying, yet all of his former friends and clients brought their business to William, and in a few years his business grew beyond the capacity of any one man to handle it. In 1915, Thomas M. Morrow, came to Scottsbluff and entered into an equal partnership with his brother in the practice of law. They continued the firm name of Morrow & Morrow. This firm handles a large proportion of the important law business in Scottsbluff and surrounding counties. Both members of the firm are considered among the best lawyers of the state and have participated in nearly all of the important litigation of western Nebraska. They are held in the highest esteem by the general public, and their business is constantly growing.
   Thomas M. Morrow belongs to the Roman Catholic church, is a member of the Denver council of Knights of Columbus, the Modern Woodmen of America, and other fraternal organizations. He has a wide circle of friends here and in all other places where he resided.

   CHARLES F. COFFEE. -- Few men in Nebraska are better known in the cattle business than Charles F. Coffee, an honored resident of Chadron, and his interests in this line connect him with this great industry throughout the entire country. Mr. Coffee has been closely identified with the development of western Nebraska for many years and his spirit of public service, marked even in boyhood, and his gift of business organization, have been vitally helpful over a long extended period. He is an important factor in political life and a dominant one in the state in the financial field.
   Charles F. Coffee was born March 22, 1847, at Greenfield, Dade county, Missouri, a son of John T. and Harriet L. (Ware) Coffee, the



latter of whom died in 1863, in Dade county. Of the six children born to his parents, Charles F. is the only one living in Dawes county at the present time. One brother was accidentally killed in Wyoming, in 1879, and another, Samuel B. Coffee, died at Harrison, in Sioux county, after which his family moved to Chadron.
   John T. Coffee, father of C. F. Coffee, was, born in Tennessee and educated for the law and in 1855, through the good offices of Honorable John S. Phelps of Missouri, was awarded a commission as captain in the regular army and in 1856 or 1857 was elected a member of the Missouri Legislature and chosen speaker of the house. In 1861, he raised a very efficient regiment of soldiers for the confederacy, serving under General Price and General Sheby of Missouri, and was, in all the battle of any note during the war. He distinguished himself on many occasions by unusual bravery and military tactics. On one occasion at the Battle of Lone Jack, capturing a body of Federal troops, almost unaided and was promoted to colonel. However, after the war between the states was over, being tired of military life he resumed the practice of law and drifted to Georgetown, Texas, and continued to follow this vocation till his death in 1893, at the age of seventy-five years.
   During boyhood Charles F. Coffee had but indifferent educational opportunities in reference to school training, but the practical lessons he learned while earning his own living from the age of twelve years, were doubtless, of far more value to him in after days than any knowledge he could have absorbed from textbooks. When the Civil War came on he succeeded in being accepted as a soldier in the Confederate army although only thirteen years of age. He was mainly engaged in his father's regiment and after the war closed went to Texas and tried several lines of industry, with very indifferent results. He farmed some, clerked in a store awhile, then owned a store and went broke. Mr. Coffee tried raising cotton, but the prices went down and the young financier went with it, and in 1871, he hired as a "cowboy" to help drive a herd of about eighteen hundred head of longhorns from Texas to Cheyenne, Wyoming, for Snyder Brothers. Young Charles showed such ability for his work that in one month he was promoted to foreman and his pay advanced twenty dollars. He worked for this company two years trailing cattle from Texas to Wyoming and remembers a circumstance which happened on the first drive. The first white man they struck in Wyoming was the station agent at Pine Bluff. This was the entire population at that time, and the little box depot the only building. Mr. Coffee entered the door and the agent was facing the other way and did not deign to look around. In the ticket window facing the cow puncher was a human skull and neatly printed on the forehead were these words, This man was talked to death by immigrants. Mr. Coffee after surveying this gruesome object for a short time mustered up courage to say, "Mister, I may he committing a rash act by disturbing you sir, but I am strictly in it. I am driving a large bunch of cattle to Cheyenne. I understand from here on water is scarce, can you tell me where the next watering place is located?" The agent proved to be a very pleasant man after all, but knew nothing about watering places, all he knew was to board the train and go through to water. The herd was driven all that day and a dry camp made, with no water for the cattle; they drove the next day till about one o'clock and the cattle were beginning to get pretty well fagged, when they fortunately struck a creek with a sandy bottom but no water, but found a place that still showed dampness. Mr. Coffee held his herd on this wet sand and milled the cattle around, and packed the sand until the water raised sufficiently to water them. The next day they came out in sight of a beautiful lake of water and could see Cheyenne in the distance--the sight was a glorious one and the cowboys shouted with delight and the cattle scenting the water were bellowing as they made a wild stampede for the water, and were soon up to their sides enjoying the first good drink they had had since leaving Pine Bluffs. Looking down towards the town they saw a cloud of dust rapidly nearing them and discovered it was caused by a horseman coming toward them. They did not have long to wait to find what the trouble was, as a very red faced and angry man reined up in front of them and shouted, "Get your cattle out of here, I am the mayor of Cheyenne." One of the boys said, "The H--- you are, we thought you was the butcher and wanted to buy some beef." This enraged the mayor to such an extent that he was in danger of having apoplexy. "Don't you know," he shouted, "this is the reservoir from which Cheyenne draws her drinking water?" Mr. Coffee tried to reason and conciliate him for nearly twenty-five minutes; he getting madder every minute, but by this time the cattle had satisfied their thirst and did not object to be again on the move to Cheyenne. Mr. Snyder met them; he had sold the cattle



to a rancher by the name of J. H. Durban and Mr. Coffee drove the herd to Pole Creek about thirteen miles away where the nearest grass and water could be found, and tallied the cattle out. He was then ordered to deliver the cattle to Mr. Durban's ranch about twenty miles distance and all his instructions consisted of was to follow a line of small cedar trees which Mr. Durban had cut and set in a line to mark the way to his ranch. He was told to line his cattle out single file and beat a road to the ranch which he did and that same cattle trail is the present road which Mr. Coffee started with his cattle nearly fifty years ago.
   In 1879 Mr. Coffee homesteaded and preempted land in Sioux county, Nebraska, this land never since having gone out of his possession, its location being in Hat Creek Basin. In 1873, when he established his first ranch, in Goshen Hole, Wyoming, sixty-five miles north of Cheyenne, his nearest neighbor in one direction was eighteen miles distant and twenty-seven in the other. At that time the Platte river was the dividing line between the white settlers and the Indians, but the latter notably evaded every law, making the carrying and often the use of a gun an actual necessity and Mr. Coffee for six years never went to the spring for water without carrying his trusty rifle. With other settlers Mr. Coffee lost heavily in stock at times, and once, in 1877, while he was away on a trip to the nearest town, Indians stole every horse on the, ranch, all he had left being the four animals he had been driving. In an interesting way he tells how the horses were taught to recognize danger when they heard shooting, and seemingly with almost human intelligence, would gallop to the corral for safety, led by a favorite horse which the Indians killed to demoralize the herd so they could drive them away, but the plan was not a success, as the horses scattered and he rounded them up the next day. Those early ranch days were hard on both man and beast and Mr. Coffee relates that often he would be out searching for his horses, and cattle for three weeks without removing his clothing. Mr. Coffee ran cattle for about thirty years before quitting the range.
   In partnership with his eldest son, John T. Coffee, Mr. Coffee owns twenty-one thousand acres of land, all being operated, the son being foreman. It is known as the Square 3-Bar ranch, brand Z, and there about six hundred calves are branded yearly. Mr. Coffee owns also a ranch of about fifteen thousand acres, near Lusk, Wyoming, in partnership with a Mr. Tinnan, where they brand fifteen hundred calves annually, the brand being the 0-10, this ranch being known as the 0-10 Bar. A part of this land is irrigated. Mr. Coffee in the beginning stock his ranches with registered cattle, and has kept his line of White Face cattle thoroughbred but has not continued registration. He probably owns ten thousand head of White Face cattle.
   In April, 1879, Mr. Coffee was married at Camden, Arkansas, to Miss Jennie A. Toney, who died in November, 1906. Her parents were James R. and Jane (McClain) Toney, her father being a merchant and a former slaveholder. Mr. and Mrs. Coffee had four children, the three survivors being as follows: John T., who is associated with his father as above mentioned; Blanche M., who resides with her father at Chadron; and Charles F., who is vice-president of the First National Bank of Chadron.
   Mr. Coffee first became interested in banking in 1888, when he became president of the Commercial Bank of Harrison, Nebraska, which he converted into a National bank and afterward sold his interest. In 1900, he became connected as vice-president, with the First National Bank of Chadron, of which he subsequently became president. In 1900, he bought the bank at Gordon, Nebraska, serving first as its president and still is a director. In 1912, he still further added to his financial interest by the purchase of the First National Bank of Hay Springs, in Sheridan county, becoming its president, and at the same time bought stock in the Stockyards National Bank of South Omaha, of which institution he continues to be a director. In 1911, Mr. Coffee and F. W. Clark bought the Nebraska National of Omaha, of which he is vice-president, and in 1915, Mr. Coffee bought the First National Bank, of Douglas, Wyoming, of which he is president. He owns considerable valuable real estate at Chadron, both residential and business, and erected the Coffee-Pitman building, a modern garage and other structures.
   In political life Mr. Coffee has always been a Democrat. In 1900, he was the fusion candidate for state representative from the 53d District, was nominated on the Democratic ticket and endorsed by the Populists and served in 1901, so acceptably that he received the party vote for United States senator, but declined to accept. Personally he is esteemed and in all business relations bears an unimpeachable character.



   WILLIAM MORROW, who is recognized as one of the ablest members of the Scottsbluff bar, established the business now conducted under the style of Morrow & Morrow, when he came to this city in May, 1906. He belongs to a pioneer family of the state, and with the exception of three years spent in Colorado, has lived here since 1879.
   William Morrow was born in Lewis county, New York, April 10, 1875, a son of Thomas and Mary (McDonald) Morrow, both of whom were born in Ireland. They came to the United States at an early age and lived in the state of New York until 1879, when they came to Nebraska. The father homesteaded in Holt county and continued there until 1906, when he sold the homestead and in the following year he and wife retired to Scottsbluff, where they yet reside. They are well kown (sic) in this city and are highly esteemed and respected by all who know them. They have children as follows: John, receiver of public funds of the United States land office at Alliance, Nebraska; Thomas M., a member of the law firm of Morrow & Morrow, at Scottsbluff, of whom personal mention is found on other pages of this work; Lavinia, a teacher in the public schools at Bayard, Nebraska; William, who resides and owns property at Scottsbluff; Anna, the wife of George Cronkleton, cashier of the First National Bank at Bayard; Frank, a prominent surgeon in active practice at Columbus, Nebraska, and Mary, the wife of J. P. Golden, who is in the real estate and abstract business at O'Neil, Nebraska.
   William Morrow attended the public schools and was graduated from the high school of Atkinson, Holt county. In 1897 he entered the Nebraska State University, and in 1903 was graduated from the law department of that institution. The same year he established himself in practice at Denver, where he remained until May, 1906, when he came to Scottsbluff. Here he engaged in the practice of law, continuing alone until 1916 when he former a partnership with his brother, Thomas M. Morrow, under the firm name of Morrow & Morrow. This firm has a wide and sound reputation and individually its members are accounted astute lawyers and honorable men. The business of the firm covers a wide territory.
   On September 18, 1912, Mr. Morrow was united in marriage to Miss Philomena Congdon, who was born at Flint, Michigan, and they have had three children, namely: Helen, who is five years old; William, who died at the age of fourteen months, and John Philip, who is not yet a year and a half old. Mr. and Mrs. Morrow are members of the Roman Catholic church. He is active in Democratic politics in the county, formerly was city attorney of Scottsbluff and was county attorney from 1907 to 1911. Fraternally he is identified with the Knights of Columbus, the Elks, the Royal Highlanders and the Woodmen of the World.
   During the World War Mr. Morrow almost abandoned the practice of his profession and devoted himself almost entirely to the various war activities. He was the first financial, chairman of the Red Cross of Scottsbluff county, was a member of the County Council of Defense, a member of the Liberty Loan Committee, town chairman of the War Savings campaign, besides serving on various other committees of less importance.

   ARTHUR, R. HONNOLD, LL.B., an able member of the Scottsbluff bar, is devoting his entire attention to private practice. He is a Nebraska man, born, reared and educated in the state, and has all the local pride in the resources, development and wonderful progress of his native commonwealth, that marks the true Nebraskan. Mr. Honnold was born March 7, 1876, at Ord, Nebraska.
   The parents of Mr. Honnold were Richard and Eceneith (McMichael) Honnold, both of whom were born in Ohio. His father died on his farm in Valley county, Nebraska, April 6, 1906, at the age of fifty-five years, and his mother now resides at Denver, Colorado. Of the three survivors of their family of four children, Arthur Rankin is the eldest, the two others being Irving T., who is secretary of an oil company at Louisville, Kentucky, and Chester W., who returned to private life, and his former occupation as a druggist, when honorably discharged from military service in the American Expeditionary Forces, in March, 1919. His sister, Nora (Honnold) Cromwell, died at Thomas, Oklahoma, in 1919.
   The father of the above family came to Nebraska, and homesteaded near Ord, in Valley county, in 1874, and engaged in farming there until the close of his life. In politics he was a Republican.
   Arthur R. Honnold graduated from the high school at Ord, in 1898, and from the Grand Island business college in 1902. His first official work was as a state accountant at Lincoln, Nebraska, where he remained two years. He entered the University of Nebraska, graduating from the law department in 1904, with an LL.B. degree. The same year, he entered into the practice of his profession at Ord, but three

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller