NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library




son, the daughter of Benjamin P. and Mary (Curry) Johnson, both natives of North Carolina. Mrs. Garvey is the oldest in a family of eight children. After, trying mining in the Black Hills, Mr. Garvey decided that a man who owned a good farm was about as well fixed as a miner could ever be and usually much more successful, so he came to the Panhandle and filed on a homestead in Sioux county where he at once began good and permanent improvements. He became recognized as one of the prominent and responsible agriculturists of his section made money from his land and felt that he was repaid for the labor he expended.
   After nearly seven years in the country Mr. Garvey moved into Hemingford, bought a good home and has since been a resident of this city. He has made a host of friends since he first located in the Panhandle and when the citizens of Hemingford desired a responsible man for the office of city marshall he was appointed; and as he was a man of excellent business ability was elected street commissioner and commissioner of the water works, all of which offices he has filled to the entire satisfaction of the citizens and to the benefit of the community. He has not found that the city offices have taken all his time and has been conducting an extensive live stock business, buying and selling, and shipping cattle to the eastern markets. As he has been a well known and well-to-do farmer for years, this business has become a very lucrative one under his able management. The Garvey family are members of the Congregational church.

    CHARLES B. HOTCHKISS, who is interested in several business enterprises at Gering, came to Neberaska (sic) thirty-five years ago and has been identified with much that has been valuable in the development of different sections. In a large degree he is a self-made man, beginning early to make his own way in the world, learning the give and take of business when many youths of his years in easier circumstances, were yet in the schoolroom.
   Mr. Hotchkiss was born at Bloomington, Illinois, November 1, 1864, one of a family of four children, two of whom survive, born to Thomas and Hattie (Wright) Hotchkiss. The parents of Mr. Hotchkiss were also born at Bloomington, where his mother died in 1917. His father was a. machinist and as a contractor, did much building at Bloomington. Later be bought a farm near Bloomington, but afterward went to Topeka, Kansas, and there his death occurred in 1913. He was a Republican in politics and a member of the order of Odd Fellows in good standing. Both he and wife belonged to the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Hotchkiss has one brother, Frank, who is a merchant of Bloomington, Illinois.
   In early boyhood Charles B, Hotchkiss attended school in Bloomington but was still young when he began to work on a farm on his own account. In 1884 he came to Nebraska and bought railroad land in Dawson county, subsequently engaging in the lumber, coal and grain business at Gothenburg. He was one of the enterprising business men of that prosperous town for fourteen years, Circumstances then attracted Mr. Hotchkiss to Grand Island in Hall county, where he bought the interests of the firm of Walker & Blaine, and for ten years afterward was associated with Thomas Bradstreet in the horse business. It was in March, 1913, that he came to Gering and started his implement business, in 1917 erecting a commodious brick building. He also owns a meat market here and also has a valuable ranch located within a short distance of the city. His numerous interests have made him widely known and his business integrity has never been questioned.
   On November 1, 1904, Mr. Hotchkiss was united in marriage to Miss Kate Cullison, who was born in Pennsylvania, and is a daughter of Judson and Caroline (Corcilious) Cullison, the former of whom was born in Virginia and the latter at Louisville, Kentucky. They came to Nebraska in 1883 and settled at Central City. Mr. Hotchkiss has always been intelligently interested in politics and votes with the Republican party. He interests himself in all civic matters at Gering as becomes a faithful citizen, and he has served on the town board. He belongs to the order of Modern Woodmen.

   C. RUSSELL MELICK is one of the younger business men of Box Butte county, who is taking a prominent place in the financial circles of Hemingford, is also a son of Mars, as he enlisted in the army when war was declared against Germany and thus demonstrated his Americanism and patriotism. Mr. Melick was born in Hopkins, Missouri, February 6, 1895, the son of Frank and Christiana (Larson) Melick, the father was a native of New Jersey, while the mother was born in Denmark. Their history will be found on another page of this work. Young Russell was reared in the healthy environment of the country, where he grew up strong, healthy and full of life and vigor. He recalls with a smile that the first money he earned that was obtained by real work was earned when he went into the hay fields at harvest time for fifty cents a



day. This money he thriftily banked and thus started a commercial career which has eventually led to his becoming a banker. If more American boys were only imbued with this idea of thrift and made proud to be the owner of a bank account there would be fewer failures and idle useless men in our towns and cities. Russell attended school at Hopkins and after completing the high school course took a special course in the business college at Chillocothe, as he had already decided to be a business man. Graduating from the college in 1915, he came to Box Butte county the same year to accept a position under his brother, F. W. Melick, and was working for him when war was declared. On May 1, 1918, he enlisted in the army, was sent to Fort Logan for his preliminary training, then transferred to Camp Fremont, California, and on May 7, was attached to Company D, Eighth Ammunition train. On October 1, he was sent to Camp Mills, Long Island, New York, and then to Camp Lee, Virginia, for special training. The Armistice was signed before he was sent over seas so he was mustered out of the service at Camp Dodge, Iowa, February 1, 1919, and returning to Hemingford he again entered his brother's office, working there until May 1, when the American State Bank was formed and as his brother was one of the heavy stockholders and became vice-president, Russell Melick was offered and accepted the responsible office of cashier of the bank. Mr. A. M. Miller is president while the board of directors consists of A. M. Miller, F. F. Melick and C. R. Melick. The prominent stockholders are, G. F. Hedgcock and H. H. Rensvold. Mr. Melick was married at Hemingford on December 20, 1917, to Miss Elsie Green a native daughter of Box Butte county who is also a graduate of the high school of Hemingford, the daughter of Harris R. and Margaret (Shindler) Green. One child has been born to this union, Marjory Laveta. Mr. Melick has already made an enviable reputation as a banker, being conservative in his ideas yet at the same time progressive in method. He has won the confidence of the citizens of the town and surrounding territory because of his integrity, courteous manner and business ability. There is a most promising future in store for him and his family.

    ALEXANDER MUIRHEAD.-- For two years identified with the office of county treasurer of Box Butte county, then elected treasurer for the same period and nearly re-elected to a second term and now serving his second two year term as the executive head of the city government of Hemingford, Alexander Muirhead has become well and favorably known to the people of this community as a hard working, efficient and conscientious public servant. He has also won a high place in the financial circles of the county and the Panhandle as a business man for he has been identified with various industries which have tended to the upbuilding of this section and when a capable man was needed as manager of the Farmers Co-operative Association of Hemingford, he was unanimously chosen for the office.
   Mr. Muirhead is a Canadian, born in the province of Ontario, January 11, 1872, the son of Gavin and Catharine (McPhail) Muirhead, the former born on the heather covered hills of "Bonny Scotland," while the mother is a native of the Island of Tyree. The sons and descendents (sic) of Scotia have always been men of thrift and industry, wherever they have elected to make their homes, and practically without exception have been found an asset to any community. Mr. Muirhead is one of the men of Scotch rescent (sic) living in Box Butte county whom to a marked degree has lived up to the reputation of his worthy family and race and today is materially aiding in the development of large interests here. Alexander was next to the youngest in a family of ten children, consisting of five boys and five girls. As his father was an Ontario farmer, the boy spent his childhood days and early youth in the country attending the local school during the winter terms and assisting in farm work during the summer vacations and soon assumed many important duties which can be well performed by a small boy. He early acquired a good business education along agricultural lines while his theoretical training was gained in the school house. After finishing the elementary grades he was sent to Owen Sound Collegiate Institute, as his father was a very well to do man, and like most Scotchmen, believed that a good education was the best equipment a man could have for a start in life. After graduating from the institute, Mr. Muirhead taught school for one year. He decided to emigrate and came to the Panhandle in 1894, locating in Hemingford. As teaching was the profession that would bring in an assured and quick income, Mr. Murhead (sic) accepted a position in the schools here while he looked the country over before choosing what business field he would enter. During the five years he followed this profession he amassed a comfortable capital and in 1898, when offered the office of deputy county treasurer of Box Butte county, accept-



ed, filling this office most efficiently for a two year term. The subsequent two years were spent in association with the Mollering Brothers in their mercantile establishment. Having made a creditable record as deputy Mr. Muirhead was elected county treasurer in the fall of 1901, served two years, and in the fall of 1903 was again nominated for the same office his opponent in the race being Charles Brennan. The contest was close, but the canvassing board declared that Mr. Muirhead had a majority of two votes; Mr. Brennan contested the election declaring the majority was his, the question was carried up to the courts and the decision given was a tie. The two men were most friendly about it and rather than call another election drew straws for it and Mr. Brennan won.
   On July 10, 1903, Mr. Muirhead was married at Hemingford to Miss Georgia A. Miller, who was born in Iriquois county, Illinois, the daughter of Alvin and Addie M. (Pearson) Miller, the former an Illinoisan, while the mother was a native of the Empire state. Mrs. Muirhead was the youngest of the two children born to her parents as she had an older brother. There are two children in the Muirhead family: Ruth A., in the eleventh grade of the high school, and Fay E., in the ninth grade. The year following his marriage Mr. Muirhead established himself in business as a real estate dealer in Alliance, where they went to live, but they were acquainted in Hemingford and liked the people here so much that when an opening with good prospects occurred in business circles here they returned and in 1905 Mr. Muirhead became associated with his father-in-law in the flour and lumber business, a partnership that continued until 1912, when Mr. Muirhead was appointed manager of the Farmers Co-operative Association, having built up a good reputation for executive ability, and honest dealing, No more capable man could have been found and the association was fortunate in being able to secure him for this important office. He has a wide circle of business acquaintances throughout the county from his many years service in county office, has warm friends and has won the confidence of the people. In 1916, Mr. Muirhead was elected mayor of Hemingford, and as in his other public offices, proved so efficient that in 1918 he was re-elected. Mr. Muirhead is one of the thrifty, farsighted men who keep fully abreast of the times, its changes and progress, and is one of the most capable and expect financiers in the Panhandle. His personal popularity coupled with his able management of affairs has won a high place for him in the financial circles of northwestern Nebraska. He is a man who does much and says little of it. Is progressive in his ideas and methods and since becoming mayor of the city has inaugurated many improvements. He is public spirited and supports every worthy movement for civic and communal uplift and improvement both with his time and generous contributions of money. Today Mr. Muirhead stands as an excellent example of the American citizens upon whom this country must rely during the coming years of unrest and adjustment to take an important part in local and national affairs, and so tide the country over a period when the so-called "melting pot" of the United States shall have melted up the pure metals, annealed and alloyed them into a compact whole and shipped the dross and dregs back to Russia, and the Balcans, whence they came. The Muirhead family belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church. They are a prominent family in the community and at their home dispense a true Scotch hospitality to friends and acquaintances.

    WILLIAM G. WILSON, is one of the favored men who has so directed his affairs that he has been able to change from the strenuous activities of farm life and take up another line of endeavor while the best years of life are still ahead of him, a reward that comes to but a favored few. During the time he applied himself to agricultural pursuits, he demonstrated the possession of marked abilities which have proved fully as successful since he engaged in commercial life, and the competency he accumulated has been available in his new field.
   William Wilson was born in Jefferson county, Iowa, April 19, 1851, the son of Joshua and Frances (Templeton) Wilson, the former a Hoosier by birth. William was next to the oldest in a good old fashioned family of twelve children and in consequence grew up self-reliant. When the boy was three years of age the family moved to Lucas county, Iowa, where Thomas spent his boyhood. He was sent to the public school near his home in the winter time and worked for his father in the summer. After completing the local school he entered Auckworth Academy, spending two years in higher study at that institution, which is located at Auckworth, Iowa, then started out independently in life as a school teacher being engaged in that vocation four terms. William remained at home with his parents until he attained his majority, but in 1873 started



west to seek an independent fortune. He first settled in Colorado, obtaining work as a ranchman near Boulder, but a year later returned to Lucas county, where he again became a student at the academy, as he realized that the best equipment a man could have in the world was a good education. He again taught school until 1882, leaving Iowa to go to the Black Hills, where he began a freighting business, this led eventually to his going to Boseman where his experience as a practical transportation man was of value. Seeing a good opportunity to make some money by taking a contract for grading a section of the right of way for the Northern Pacific Railroad, which was building west, Mr. Wilson became a contractor, going in the fall of 1883, to Yackima (sic) county, where he ran a grading outfit for the road until 1885. Having gained much valuable experience in this line of business he decided to continue in it and, in the fall of 1885, went to Maysville, Missouri, where he had bid and obtained a contract for railroad construction. The next year he came to Nebraska, having a contract for grading on the Ashland Cut Off to Omaha. Finishing this work he came to Sheridan county in 1887, to construct the road bed two miles each way from the town of Antioch, on the Burlington Railroad. Coming to realize that the, most independent man is the owner of land, Mr. Wilson determined to avail himself of the opportunity to obtain some under the homestead act and in 1888 filed on a homestead one mile east of the present town of Antioch, which until 1912, was known as Reno, but in that year the railroad changed the name to Antioch, which had been the name of the postoffice since its establishment in 1889. Mr. Wilson determined to become a good practical farmer and with this end in view and his experience at home on his father's place, he began to study the best crops for the high prairies, placed the best improvements he could upon his land, and from the first he found that his success was assured. He was optimistic concerning this section of Nebraska, and the years of drought, grasshoppers and hard winters could not discourage him. He remained when many of the settlers gave up and returned east, but it paid him for today he is one of the large landholders and prosperous men of Sheridan county. From time to time as he made money on his crops and cattle, Mr. Wilson invested his capital in other tracts of land until today he is the owner of more than six thousand acres of fine arable and grazing land in a good location. For many years, --thirty in all--he had annually about five hundred head of stock on his ranch. He was a short buyer, being far-sighted in his business, and a long seller so that he made money where many men who did not study business conditions lost and now feels that he was well rewarded.
   On October 11, 1904, Mr. Wilson married at Granger, Iowa, Miss Mable Taylor, a native of Des Moines, Iowa, and they had two children: Mabel L., a student in the, Antioch high school and Donald W., a student in Alliance who lives with Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Wilson while in school. Mrs. Wilson died on September 15, 1910, leaving a sorrowing husband and lonely home. Since that time a niece of Mr. Wilson, Miss Frances Wilson, has come to assume charge of his home and really make it a home for the father and daughter. She is a most estimable woman, who has seen much of life and the world, having been a nurse in Denver, Colorado, ever since her graduation from the hospital where she received her training. The family have been members of the Congregational church for many years. At the present time Mr. Wilson has just completed a modern home in Antioch, costing over $12,000 where the family will keep their usual hospitable open door for their many friends. Having spent so many years in the country Mr. Wilson decided to give up the active management of his land and in 1917 leased the whole tract as well as the stock to a nephew, J. W. Wilson, and came to Antioch to live. He soon bought a half interest in the building and stock of the Antioch Mercantile Company where he has displayed the same business ability that has been characteristic of him since his days as a contractor. Under his able management and guidance the business has largely increased and today is one of the prosperous and substantial business houses of the Panhadle (sic). Mr. Wilson is one of the pioneers of the county where he has won an enviable reputation as a sound business man, estimable citizen and has been one of the best "boosters" this section has ever had, as he is ever ready to help with time and money any laudable enterprise for the development of the community and county. He has great faith in the future of the potash industry of this section and has been active in the development of it here.

   FRANK H. SMITH may truly be called self-made, as his present prosperity has come through his own efforts and under a handicap that would have discouraged most men. Mr. Smith has had a varied career for he has in turn been farmer, school teacher, clerk in

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller