NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library




copal church, as was also her husband. Concerning their children a brief record may consistently be entered at this juncture: Clara B. and Oral D. were born in Iowa; Willis B., of this review was the first to be born after the removal to Nebraska; Amber and Amy were born in Box Butte county, while Hazel, the youngest of the surviving children, was born at Alliance. Amber attended college at Hastings for three years and is now the wife of Albert Catron, of Gering, Scottsbluff county. Amy was graduated from the Hastings high school, and then took a two years' course in domestic science at a college, in that city, and is now, principal of a school at Fraser, Colorado. Hazel was graduated from the high school at Grand junction, Colorado, and is a student in domestic science at college.
   Willis D. Jordan acquired his early education in the public schools of Nebraska and was about eighteen years of age at the time of his father's death. As the only son, he was thus called upon to assume responsibility, and he continued to have charge of the home farm until he had attained the age of twenty-two years, in the meantime finding employment in the beet sugar factory at Scottsbluff during the winter seasons. In order that the younger children hight (sic) obtain better educational advantages, the farm was finally rented for one year. During the ensuing years Mr. Jordan again had charge of the place, where he maintained "bachelor's hall," and the next year found him identified with the cattle industry in Sioux county. When there came to him the call of higher duty, in connection with the nation's participation in the great World War, Mr. Jordan sold his cattle in 1917, and enlisted as a volunteer, his assignment having been to the medical department of the service, in the First Division, First Army Corps. He arrived with his command in France in December, 1917 and thereafter, was with his division in the front lines during the progress of three heavy battles. He continued at the front, loyal and valorous, until the signing of the historic armistice brought the great conflict to a close. He then returned to America and he received his honorable discharge on May 5, 1918. This gallant young soldier of the republic is now actively engaged in farm enterprise in Scottsbluff county, where he is conducting operation on his well improved farm, eleven miles northeast of the city of Scottsbluff. He is earnest in his political allegiance and his religious views are in harmony with the tenets of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which faith he was reared.

    HENDY (sic) VOGLER, ranchman and prominent citizen of Kimball county, is well known in this section of Nebraska where, for years, he has been engaged in successful business enterprises, and has also served frequently and efficiently in public capacities. He was born in Baden, Germany, October 8, 1864. His parents were Peter and Anna Vogler, who had a family of ten children, three of whom, Peter, George, and Henry, came to the United States.
   Henry Vogler grew to the age of eighteen years in his own country, where he received a public school education. In 1871 his older brother, Peter Vogler, had emigrated to the United States and established himself in Cass county, Nebraska, and when Henry reached this country, in 1882, he made his way across the continent as far as Nebraska and joined his brother. During the first winter in Cass county he attended school, but left his brother's farm in the spring of 1883, went to Lincoln and there secured employment in a grocery and bakery store, where he worked faithfully for the next three years. In the meanwhile he had prudently saved his wages, in prospect of going into business for himself and this he was able to do after coming to Dix, the town then being in old Cheyenne county. Mr. Volger (sic) not only embarked in an enterprise of his own, opening a general merchandise store, but he became a moving force in the development of the place. Through his efforts Dix became a postoffice, and he was the organizer of the first school there.
   Mr. Vogler continued in the mercantile business at Dix until 1895, when he was elected county clerk of Kimball county, removing then to Kimball, subsequently serving three terms in that office. At Kimball he again went into the mercantile business with a partner, B. K. Bushee, and this partnership continued until 1908, when Mr. Vogler was elected county treasurer, which office he held two terms, this being marked evidence of the confidence with which he had inspired his fellow citizens. In 1908 Mr. Vogler, in association with Gus Linn and J. J. Kinney, bought the Bank of Kimball, and Mr. Vogler continued in the banking business at Kimball until 1914, when he sold his. interest and since that time has mainly devoted his attention to affairs pertaining to the development and improvement of his ranch in Kimball county, a valuable property of large extent.
   In 1887 Henry Vogler was united in marriage to Miss Clementine Neeley, who, is a daughter of Samuel and Anna Neeley, and nine children have been born to them, one of whom died in infancy, the others being as follows: Olive, who is the wife of W. T.



Young; George, who is cashier of the Bank of Kimball; Shirley, who owns and operate a moving picture theatre; Robert, who is also employed on the ranch, and Margaret, Bonita, Ruth, and Donald, all of whom reside with their parents. Mr. Vogler and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has always been a busy man but is social by nature and is a valued member of the Modern Woodmen and the A. 0. U. W., and other fraternal organizations.

    B. F. ROBERTS, gained in earlier years a broad experience in connection with the cattle industry, in the activities of which he was engaged for more than a decade in Wyoming, and of the same important phase of industrial enterprise, he is a prominent and influential exponent in Scottsbluff county at he present time. He is one of the substantial landholders of this county and has here done much to promote the raising of the best types of cattle and horses, besides which he is similarly progressive in the agricultural department of his ranch enterprise and is liberal and public spirited as a citizen one of the wholesome and well fortfied (sic) "boosters" of whom the Nebraska Panhandle may well be proud.
   Mr. Roberts was born in Woodford county, Illinois, on the 10th of April, 1870. Both of his parents were born and reared in England, where their marriage was solemnized. The father served with marked valor in the Crimean war, in which he was wounded in action, and the English government awarded him several medals for gallantry on the field of battle. He came with his young wife to America in the year 1865, and thereafter they continued their residence in Illinois until 1887, when they came to Nebraska and numbered themselves among the pioneer settlers of what is now Scottsbluff county. Here the father took up a homestead, to which he perfected title in due time and upon which he made good improvements. He and his wife merit place on the roll of the sterling pioneers of Scottsbluff county.
   B. F. Roberts gained his rudimentary education in the public school of Illinois and was a lad of fourteen years at the time of the family removal to Nebraska. Settlement was first made near Sidney, Cheyenne county, and from that locality the family removed to the present Scottsbluff county when the subject of this sketch was still young. He attended school at irregular intervals after coming to Nebraska. At the age of eighteen years he went to Colorado, where he was employed two years on a horse ranch, after which he initiated his career as a cowboy in Wyoming, where he was employed for a period of eleven years, and with characteristic thrift he saved his earnings, with a view to establishing himself in an independent business enterprise. In 1890, he took up a homestead in Wyoming and stocked the ranch with cattle, besides making special effort to bring his stock up to the highest standard. Mr. Roberts likewise followed the same plan in the raising of fine horses, and his father had supervision of the homestead while he himself continued his activities on the range, his services as a cattle herder having been expert and having commanded from him the maximum wages. About 1890, he took charge of the Castlerock irrigating ditch, to the supervision of which he continued to give his attention about six years. In the meanwhile he had accumulated on his ranch a fine herd of about five hundred whiteface Hereford cattle, including some of the best sires that had been introduced in Wyoming and western Nebraska, besides which he had developed some of the best prize-winning Percheron horses in this section. After leaving Wyoming Mr. Roberts returned to Nebraska, and in Scottsbluff county he is now the owner of a valuable ranch property of over two thousand acres, a considerable part of the tract being supplied with excellent irrigation faclities (sic) and making it list with the most productive and valuable agricultural land in the Nebraska Panhandle. Mr. Roberts still conducts large and successful operations in the breeding and raising of the best types of horses and cattle, and in every way he has shown his capacity for doing big things in a big way. His civic liberality and public spirit are of the most consistent order. He owns the controlling stock in the McGrew State Bank, of which he is president, the village of McGrew being some miles distant from his finely improved ranch, the equipment of which is of the most approved modern standard. Mr. Roberts has never had time or inclination for the activities of the political arena, devoting his time to business.
   The year 1897, recorded the marriage of Mr. Roberts to Miss Ida Davis, whose father was a pioneer settler in western Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts have a fine family of seven children: Edith G., James William, Alonzo, Walter W., Rollin R., and Benjamin F. Miss Edith Roberts was graduated in the high school at Gering and is, at the time of this writing, in the winter of 1919-20, a student in the University of Nebraska.



   CHARLES J. McCUE has lived in various localities and followed differing lines of occupation, and should be given pioneer distinction in what is now Scottsbluff county, for he came here in 1885, and took up a tract of land on the line of Cheyenne and Keith counties, as then constituted. He proved up on his homestead, to the improvement and cultivation of which he continued to give his attention until 1893, when he abandoned farm activities and went to Pueblo, Colorado, where he entered the employ of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Company. With this corporation he continued in railroad work ten years and for the ensuing seven years was engaged in coal mining, at the Oakdale mine in Colorado. He then returned to Nebraska and engaged in farming and dairying enterprise in Furnas county, which continued to be the stage of his operations until October, 1913, when he established his residence in the city of Scottsbluff, where he has since been engaged successfully in well-building. He has developed a substantial business in this important line and his services are in requisition in the construction of wells in the most diverse sections of the county. Mr. McCue is known as a reliable and progressive business man and loyal and public-spirited citizen. He has never sought or desired political office of any kind but gives his allegiance to the Democratic party.
   Charles J. McCue was born February 16, 1863, at Garden Prairie, Iowa, where his parents were pioneer settlers. He is a son of John and Anna (Davidson) McCue, both natives of Ireland. John McCue was young when he accompanied his parents on the immigration to America, and the family first settled in Rhode Island. The father eventually became a farmer in Illinois, later was similarly engaged as a pioneer in Iowa, and in 1881 came with his family to Clay county, Nebraska, where he purchased land and developed a good farm. He later removed to Furnas county, and died there in 1903, when about seventy-one years of age. His venerable widow still resides in that county and at the time of this writing, in the winter of 1919, she is eighty-six years of age. She was fourteen years old when she came with her parents to the United States, and she was reared in McHenry county, Illinois. In her native land she was denied educational advantages and she did not learn to read and write until she was forty-five years old, though her alert mentality has largely enabled her to overcome this handicap along specific educational lines.
   Charles J. McCue was reared and educated in Iowa, whence he accompanied his parents to Nebraska in 1881. In 1885, shortly after attaining his legal majority, he took up a frontier homestead in what is now Scottsbluff county as previously intimated in this sketch, and there he remained until his removal to Colorado, as already noted. It is worthy of special mention that while he was out on a hunting trip in 1886, he killed deer at a point within ten miles of this present city of Scottsbluff.
   At Ogallala, Nebraska, on the 22d of February, 1893, Mr. McCue wedded Miss Katie Meyer, who was born in Iowa, where she was reared and educated in Washington county. She came to Nebraska and entered a homestead claim in Chase county, where she eventually perfected her title to the property. She died in 1910, at the age of forty-two years, and is survived by three children: Viola Rowe of Lander, Wyoming, has one daughter; Orson W., who is now with the American forces in the Army of Occupation in Germany (November, 1919), saw eighteen months of active service in France and felt the full tension of the great conflict: he was severely gassed while with his command in the trenches, and as a result was confined to a military hospital from July 22, 1918, until the 1st of the following November, his military membership having been in Company D, Third Division of American Expeditionary Forces; Alva B., the younger son, remains with his father at Scottsbluff.

   RICHARD S. KNAPP was a lad of about eight years when his parents came from Iowa to Nebraska, and eight years later the family became pioneer settlers in what is now Scottsbluff county. Thus from his youth he has witnessed and participated in the development and progress of this county, which was then a part of Cheyenne county, and he is now numbered among the substantial and representative exponents of agricultural and livestock industry, as the owner of a large and well improved landed estate, six miles northwest of Bayard.
   Mr. Knapp was born in Pottawattomie county, Iowa, August 28, 1871, and is a son of Philo P. and Hattie C. (Otts) Knapp, the former was born in the state of New York, in 1838, and the latter was born in Ohio, in 1840, their marriage having been solemnized in Iowa, in 1860. In the Hawkeye state Philo P. Knapp continued his activities as a farmer until 1879, when he came with his family to



Nebraska and settled in Cass county. There he continued his agricultural operations until 1887, when he became one of the pioneer settlers of that part of Cheyenne county that is now included in Scottsbluff county. Here he perfected his title to a homestead and a tree claim, and with the passing years he made good improvements on this property, and gained a place as one of the sterling pioneers and influential citizens of his community. He died at Plattsmouth, this state, in 1904, and his widow passed away there in 1917, the names of both meriting enduring place on the roster of the honored pioneers of Scottsbluff county.
   Richard S. Knapp acquired his early education in the public schools of Cass county, this state, and was a lad of about sixteen years at the time of the family removal to what is now Scottsbluff county. Here he assisted his father in the reclamation and development of the home ranch, and in 1893, entered claim to a homestead of his own. He proved up on this place and continued successful operations as a farmer for thirteen years. He then sold the property and purchased his present valuable estate, which comprises two hundred and eighty acres well situated six miles northwest of the village of Bayard. In the work and management of this finely improved farm he has the effective assistance of his sons, and the place is supplied with excellent irrigation facilities. Mr. Knapp was one of the builders and officials of the Bayard irrigation ditch, and he has been specially prominent in connection with the construction of the irrigation ditches which have added so greatly to the success of agricultural enterprise in the county. Scarcely a ditch has been built here without his active assistance in construction work, and he is a recognized authority in local irrigation enterprise. He has been loyal and liberal also in the promotion and support of schools and churches, and has served as a school officer in his district for fifteen years. He helped to build school houses and churches when such improvements were compassed only by the donation of work on the part of the citizens, and no worthy community undertaking has failed to enlist his earnest support. His political views are shown by his alignment in the ranks of the Democratic party, and in a fraternal way he is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America; both he and his wife are members of the church.
   In April, 1896, at Gering, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Knapp to Miss Emma M. Jamison, whose parents were numbered among the first settlers in the Minatare district of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Knapp have six children, the two older sons having both graduated from the high school at Bayard and now are their father's able assistants in the work and management of the home ranch. The names of the children are here entered in respective order of birth: Rufus R., Harold E., Mabel G., Philo D., Ambrey, and Frank. The younger children are still in school at the time of this writing and the family is one of prominence in the community.

    W. M. BARBOUR, is one of the representative agriculturists and stock-growers of Scottsbluff county, where he established his home in the early pioneer days and where his ability and energy have conspired to win to him a generous measure of prosperity, as well as secure status as an influential citizen of the county. He is associated with his venerable mother in the ownership of a well improved and valuable landed estate of six hundred and forty acres, and on this splendid property he has demonstrated most fully the splendid natural advantages of this favored section of the state.
   Mr. Barbour was born at Spava, Fulton county, Illinois, January 25, 1860, and is a son of William and Cynthia (Carter) Barbour, the former was born and reared in Ohio and the latter was born in Rock Island county, Illinois, where her parents were pioneer settlers and where she was reared to adult age, her educational advantages having been those of the common schools of the locality and period. William Barbour was a young man when he removed from Ohio to Illinois, in which latter state his marriage was solemnized, During the major part of his active career he followed the basic industry of agriculture, and he was about seventy years of age at the time of his death. He was a soldier of the Union in the Civil war, during which he served as a member of an Illinois volunteer regiment. In politics he was a staunch Republican.
   The only one of his parents' children who grew to adult age, W. W. Barbour passed the period of his childhood and youth on the home farm in Illinois, where he gained valuable experience, and made good use of the advantages afforded in the public schools. In 1887, after the death of his father, he came with his widowed mother to what is now Scottsbluff county, Nebraska, and both entered homestead claims, which were adjacent. Here they have resided during the long intervening years that have brought marvelous advancement and un-

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller