NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library




county, that state, on December 17, 1882, to Miss Sarah M. Estabrook the daughter of David and Mary (Ferrell) Eestabrook (sic), both New Englanders by birth. Ten children were born to this union, of whom seven are living: Alice, the wife of Frank Thomas of Lexington, Nebraska; Blanche, the wife of Loren D. Root, of Sedgwick, Colorado; Jesse, deceased; Archie, who lives on the home farm; Gertrude, the wife of John Ford, of Big Springs; Pearl, deceased; Clarence L., at home; Ruba, Ruth and David M.
   Mr. Steward came to Deuel county county in 1884, and took a claim, the northwest quarter of section 34-15-43 which he sold in 1903, and bought the land where he now lives, as he foresaw the great future of irrigated land and purchased what could be watered. Since that time he has been engaged in general farming and stock raising. Mr. Steward is a self-made man, having had little when he came into the Panhandle but the determination to succeed; for at that time it was necessary to haul wood from the canyons of the Platte. He was near the famous California Trail and saw the early prairie schooners let down the steep hills with windlasses. One year he worked his land with an ox team, then purchased a pony horse team but today has the most modern machinery obtainable. Mr. Steward has specialized of late years in the breeding of full blooded Belgian horses, in which line he has met with gratifying success. He is a Republican, has served as assessor and road overseer of his district and is one of the substantial men of his community.

    GUS LINN. -- If any proof were needed as to the success that is reasonably sure to follow wholesome living and persistent, well directed industry, it may be found in the career of Gus Linn, who is one of Kimball's foremost business men and highly respected citizens and public officials. He is president of the Bank of Kimball and for years has served in positions of trust and responsibility.
   Mr. Linn was born in Sweden, December 6, 1862, third in a family of five children. His mother is deceased and his honored father died in October, 1910. Mr. Linn attended the public schools but had no further educational advantages, and when nineteen years old decided to come to America to seek better business opportunity. He reached Pennsylvania in June, 1882, remained in that state two months and then went to Michigan, working in lumber regions there for two years. In 1884 he came to Nebraska and worked for a lumber company at Omaha for two years, then came to Kimball to take charge of the Kimball Lumber Company, with which concern he continued until 1893, during these years building up a wide acquaintance and many friendships based on the integrity of his character.
   In 1893 Mr. Linn went into business for himself, purchasing the Kimball Lumber Company interests and adding hardware and farm implements to the goods he handled. In 1907 he sold the lumber branch of his business to the Foster Lumber Company but continued the other lines, and now owns the largest hardware, wagon and farm implement business at Kimball. While Mr. Linn is recognized as an able business man, his achievements in this direction have been equaled by the progress he has made in public life, for he has been one of Kimball's most useful and public-spirited citizens in numerous ways. He has never been unmindful of his responsibilities since he became an American citizen and, intelligent and thoughtful, he soon became interested in political questions. Public confidence was shown in his integrity when in 1892 he was elected county treasurer of Kimball county, in which office he served with fidelity for four years. In 1897 he was further honored by being elected county judge, serving in that capacity for two years. In 1905 he was elected county commissioner and served until 1907, when he became mayor of Kimball, and served two years. He has given encouragement to many of the worthy enterprises that have proved so beneficial to Kimball, has made investments here and stands today as a most worthy citizen in every sense of the word.
   On June 18, 1888, Mr. Linn was united in marriage to Miss Anna C. Willing, at Sidney, Nebraska, who was born in Sweden, but has lived in the United States since girlhood. They have the following children: Oscar G., Vernon E., Herbert E., Ernest A., John T., Frank W., and Kenneth, Mrs. Linn died January 22, 1918.
   Since 1907 Mr. Linn has been president of the Bank of Kimball and built a fine bank building. He also has the largest hardware store in Kimball county and also built a fine building in Dix, in which he conducts a hardware store. He owns an implement business at the town of Bushnell and Potter. At all of these places he has done approximately $200,000 worth of business. He is also a thirty-second degree Mason, belonging to No. 294, Kimball, and also is a member of the Knights of Pythias and Woodmen.



   JOHN M. ANDERSON, deceased, for many years one of the well known and highly respected farmers of Garden county, a pioneer who played his intelligent part in the opening up and development of his locality, was born in Sweden, April 11, 1857, and died on his farm near Chappell, December 11, 1913. He was reared and received his early education in his native land, where he later learned the capenter's (sic) trade. Mr. Anderson was the son of Andrew and Marie (Johnson) Hanson, both natives of Sweden, where they spent their lives. In 1882, Mr. Anderson came to the United State and soon after reaching our shores located at York, Nebraska, where he engaged in work as a carpenter. On his way west he had spent a few months in Omaha, working while there on a bank building but wanted a farm of his own eventually and came to the Panhandle. In 1885, Mr. Anderson came to Deuel county and took up a homestead which his widow and children now own, the farm being operated by the son. When he came into this section there was no railroads as today and Mr. Anderson drove to his land with a team and wagon; he and Mr. Odell being the only settlers within a radius of ten miles. Soon the usual frontier home--a sod house--was erected and Mr. Anderson spent a few months on the place before returning to York. On his return to the claim the sod house had been torn down by the cattle but he managed to save the wooden roof out of which he made a cupboard which the family treasures today as a relic. In 1886, Mr. Anderson again returned to his land bringing a cow boy with him. Between them they had a team, wagon, and a cow pony. They lived in the wagon until the first crops were harvested and again built a sod house for warmth during the winter. The cow boy tried to make trouble for Mr. Anderson and take the team but the latter met his attempts with a shot gun and the horses remained his property. Mr. Anderson was a good farmer, worked hard and by his ability was able to make a good living during the hard years. He had become most skillful in handling and repairing machinery, doing a great amount of work for his neighbors and had he been able to have a technical education in his youth would have engaged in the agricultural implement business. At one time Mr. Anderson made water tanks, the lumber being furnished by the purchaser.
   April 30, 1888, Mr. Anderson married Miss Ida Carlson at Sidney, Nebraska. She was the daughter of Carl and Christina Carlson, natives of Sweden and was born there. She came to this country in 1885, lived in Omaha until 1888, then came to Deuel county. Two children were born to this union: Arthur, at home and Huldah, the wife of Cornelius Diehl, now homesteading near Douglas, Wyoming. Mrs. Anderson has many reminiscences of the early days in this section, the hardships and privations, but she and her husband became prosperous; they bought their first land for forty dollars a quarter and became the owners of two sections which today are valuable.
   Mr. Anderson was a Republican and a member of the Swedish Lutheran church.

   WILLIAM G. MELTON one of the earliest settlers of the Lodgepole district and well known stockman has lived in the Panhandle for more than twenty years, passed through all the hardships and trials of frontier life and today with his brothers is one of the prominent and prosperous ranchmen of western Nebraska. He was born in Harrison county, Indiana, October 20, 1869, the son of James H. and Catharine (Snyder) Melton, both natives of this same county. The, father was a general farmer who died in Indiana in 1877. He was a prominent man in his community, belonged to the Methodist church and was a Republican. There were eight children in the Melton family, of whom four are living: Harvey B., Jonathan K., George L., of York, Nebraska, and William of this review, who received his early education in Indiana and later in the public schools of York, Nebraska, as he came west with his brother and sister-in-law in 1878, because of poor health. Mr. Melton lived in York until 1881, before returning to Indiana for three years. In 1884, he came back, remained in York county a short time before taking up a homestead in Deuel county in December, 1890. This land was near Lodgepole and he still owns the original tract. Later he purchased his present farm in section 14-14-46, where he lives with his brothers, Harry and Jonathan. For many years the Melton brothers have raised cattle and dealt in live stock. They first bought short horn cattle but saw that high grade animals paid the best and in later years have changed to Herefords, keeping as good a grade as is to be found in this section of the country. Starting with only thirty head, Mr. Melon had more than five hundred head when he sold out in 1907, with a hundred and thirty head of calves. A nephew now has the active work of the farm in hand but Mr. Melton supervises the management. They specialize in general farming and have but thirty head of cattle. The six hundred



acres are cultivated, all the brothers helping in the work of looking after various, agricultural branches. The brothers together own about four sections near Lodgepole, using the latest methods in farming as well as modern equipment in machinery and buildings. Mr. Melton is a Republican. He and his brothers are the oldest settlers in this locality and in the early days they tell of using all the land for a general range, fencing only that used for crops. Land sold then for a dollar an acre and many times they felt it was not worth the taxes, could never be farmer (sic) and Mr. Melton once remarked that he was paying "good money for bad land," and today it is very valuable.
   Mr. Melton and his brothers are of high standing in the community, being regarded as some of the most substantial men in Deuel county. Mr. Melton is a member of the Masonic order, having held nearly all the offices in his lodge.

    AUGUST G. NEWMAN, a member of the retired colony of Chappell, who has spent more than forty years in the Panhandle and made many warm friends in Deuel county, was born in Waukesha county, Wisconsin, November 29, 1854, being of German extraction, as both parents were born in the German Empire and subsequently came to the United States. The boy was educated in the public schools and worked on his father's farm until he started in life for himself in 1878. That year Mr. Newman came to Nebraska and bought a ranch near Lodgepole where he raised sheep for eight years, four years of that time he lived entirely alone, camping out with his herds both winter and summer. In 1886, he bought twenty-six hundred acres of land southeast of Chappell and devoted his time to raising horses and cattle, in which enterprise he met with success. Many excellent improvements were made on the place, while the ranch had a naturally beautiful location on Lodgepole creek. Trees were planted and the Newman ranch was known throughout this section. Operating the place until 1893, Mr. Newman then moved to Chappell, becoming the owner and manager of the Johnson House, a hotel which he operated thirteen years, during which time he became very popular with the people of the town and the traveling public.
   In 1889, occurred the marriage of Mr. Newman and Miss Mary Barrett, the daughter of Harry and Jane (Barchard) Barrett, the former a well known railroad man having charge of the yards at North Platte, where he located on coming to Nebraska from Missouri in 1866. The Barretts later moved to Lodgepole and died there. Mrs. Newman died in 1917, leaving four children; Guy C., of Chappell; Grace A., the wife of John Burgstrum of Chappell; Harry C., of Omaha, and Mary B. at home with her father.
   Mr. Newman has never disposed of all his real estate holdings and is still the owner of a fine ranch of nineteen hundred and twenty acre. He is a Republican in politics, has taken an active part in the community life, serving as commissioner of Cheyenne county from 1885 to 1887, and later filled the same office in Deuel county. Being public spirited and progressive he assisted in establishing several schools in his locality and held important school offices, both in county and city. Mr. Newman came here when the country was practically virgin prairie and has not alone viewed the changes but partaken in the development of this section. He assisted in the partition of old Cheyenne county into six other counties; for when he came to the Panhandle there were no towns between North Platte and Sidney, while Chappell had only one house and the section house, so that he has witnessed the opening up of one of the finest sections of the country; seen villages and towns of this county platted and settled up, which few in the future will ever again witness. Mr. Newman is a charter member of the Masonic lodge.

   WILLIAM N. DIEHL.-- The energy, resourcefulness and initiative required to succeed in any line of endeavor today has been an integral part of the mental equipment of William Diehl since he first entered upon an independent career in business as an agriculturist. While still a school boy he began laying plans for his chosen vocation and his faith in himself has been fully vindicated, for today Mr. Diehl is one of the successful farmers of Banner county, where he owns land in section 34-57-17.
   William Diehl was born in Las Vegas, New Mexico, November 9, 1893, the son of John S. and Mary E. (Goldborough) Diehl, the former was born in Snyder county, Pennsylvania, in 1858, while the mother was a native of Illinois, born there in 1861. Seven children formed the Diehl family of whom the following five still live; Cornelius, born in 1888, married Huldah Anderson Chappell in 1919; William, of this review; Hazel K., born in 1895, is the wife of Benjamin Kiplinger; Elmer E., who married Rosa Kuhnpuffer, lives at Priest



river, Idaho; Alma Iva, the wife of John Miner, of Banner county. The two children who died were Lee, aged twelve years and Charles, aged eleven months.
   When William Diehl was only two years of age his parents left New Mexico and came to Nebraska, locating at Nickerson, where they. lived until the boy was fifteen years of age. He was sent to the excellent public schools of that town and early learned the practical side of farm industry by working during the summer vacation. After his elemenary (sic) education was completed Mr. Diehl attended college at Fremont, Nebraska, before starting in business for himself and thus laid a firm foundation for his career as a farmer.
   When the United States declared war against Germany and the president called for volunteers, the young man enlisted in the army October 3, 1917, remained in the service of his country until honorably mustered out on May 3, 1919, and while he did not succeed in crossing the ocean to fight was more than anxious to go and his services rendered here were as valuable as though he had been on the battle front. After his discharge Mr. Diehl located on his present farm near Bushnell where he has since been actively engaged in general farming and stock raising. He is one of the enthusiastic, capable and progressive exponents of agricultural industry in this section and is earning a just reward for the time, energy and study he devotes to his vocation.
   In March, 1918, Mr. Diehl married Miss Clara Garrison, of Ohiona, Nebraska, who died the same year.
   Mr. Diehl attends the Methodist Episcopal church and is a member of the National Socialistic party and the Farmers' Union. His father, John S., is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The family is well and favorably known in Banner county as good business men and upstanding citizens ,who advocate and support all movements that tend to the development of their community and the county.

   WILLIS B. JORDAN, who is one of the progressive farmers of the younger generation in Scottsbluff county, is a scion of red-blooded American stock that has been conspicuous in the pioneer annals of the nation, his paternal grandparents having been early settlers in Illinois and later in Iowa, and his father gained a due measure of pioneer distinction in Nebraska. That the subject of this sketch has lived up to the family traditions of loyalty and spirit, needs no futher (sic) voucher than the statement that he was one of the gallant young men who represented Nebraska on the European battlefields within the period of the late World War, a service that shall ever reflect honor upon his name.
   Mr. Jordan was born on the old homestead farm of his parents near Alliance, Box Butte county, Nebraska, April 26, 1891. He is a son of Jacob David Jordan and Florence Levisa (Snow) Jordan, the former a native of Illinois and the latter of Iowa, their marriage having been solemnized in the latter state, when Mr. Jordan was twenty-eight years of age. Jacob D. Jordan was born in 1847, in Illinois, and this date shows that his parents were numbered among the pioneers of that state, where his father became one of the honored members of the clergy of the Methodist Episcopal church, in the service of which he later was a pioneer in Iowa, to which state he removed when his son Jacob David was a lad of seven years. In the Hawkeye state Jacob D. Jordan was reared under the conditions and influences of the pioneer days, and he was signally favored in having the advantages of a cultured and refined home, as well as those of the public schools of the locality and period. After reaching adult age he continued to be actively identified with agricultural pursuits in Iowa until he came to Nebraska and took up a homestead claim in Box Butte county. He not only perfected his title to this land but also to a tree claim, the property being situated twenty-five miles southeast of Alliance. He there proved successful as an agriculturist and stock-grower and devoted considerable attention to buying and shipping cattle. After having been thus engaged five years he removed to Scottsbluff county, where he became the owner of a ranch of twelve hundred acres, upon which he made further improvements and where he developed a substantial business in the raising of cattle and horses. He also continued to buy and sell stock upon a rather extensive scale. After remaining on the ranch about five years he disposed of the property and purchased a farm one mile north of the city of Scottsbluff. There he gave attention to agricultural enterprise, though he continued to raise stock upon a minor scale and after the lapse of six years failing health prompted him to visit California. He did not, however, recuperate his physical energies, and died in that state. His widow removed to Hastings, Nebraska, to give her children the advantages of the public schools and college at that place, where she remained until her removal to her present home. She is a zealous member of the Methodist Epis-

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller