NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library




closing years of his life having been passed in Illinois.
   John Fink acquired his early education in the schools of his native land and was an ambitious youth of twenty years when, in 1866, he immigrated to America and settled in Rockland county, New York, where he remained five years. During the ensuing seven years he was actively identified with farm enterprise in the state of Illinois, and he then, in 1879, came to Nebraska and settled near Seward, Seward county, where he became a pioneer exponent of farm industry and where he continued his vigorous activities until 1887, when he numbered himself. among the pioneers of what is now Scottsbluff county. Here he eventually perfected title to the homestead and tree claims which he had taken up, and he developed the land into a state of high productiveness, the while he erected good buildings and made other permanent improvement of excellent order. On this original farm he successfully continued his enterprise as an agriculturist and stock-grower until 1913, since which time he has lived retired; his attractive home in Scottsbluff being known for the gracious hospitality there extended to the many friends whom he and his wife have gained during the many years of their residence in this section of the state. In politics Mr. Fink is a Republican, and both he and his wife hold membership in the Presbyterian church.
   In the state of New York, on December 1, 1867, Mr. Fink was united in marriage to Miss Frederica Weishoff, who likewise is a native of Germany and who was a girl at the time of her parent's immigration to America. To Mr. and Mrs. Fink were born ten children: Mrs. Louise McClalahan resides in Salt Lake City, Utah; William is a resident of Seward, Nebraska; Charles maintains his home in Attica, Kansas; Henry lives at Park City, Montana; George is a resident of Rose, Wyoming; Mrs. Minnie Wright is deceased; Mrs. Amy Harrison is a resident of Scottsbluff; Mrs. Clara Lewis is a resident of Salt Lake City; and Edward and Elmer reside at Park City, Montana.

    JOHN B, HOLLADAY. -- In the death of John Bernard Holladay, not only his family met with an irremediable loss, but a wide circle of friends, many acquaintances and many important business interests suffered through the withdrawal of a strong, invigorating, helpful presence.
   John Bernard Holladay was born near Marshalltown Iowa, February 2, 1884, and his death from influenza occurred December 3, 1918. He was a son of J. A. and Mary Holladay, and was fourteen years old when he accompanied his parents to Omaha, Nebraska, where he had school advantages. When he reached manhood he homesteaded in Kimball county, seven miles south of Bushnell, under the Kinkaid act; he then bought three one quarter sections one mile south of his homestead, eighty acres west and one-quarter section ten miles southwest of his homestead, which gave him a total of 1300 acres. He also owned hotel property at Pine Bluff and a twenty-acre fruit farm in California. Not only was he enterprising and active in the development of his property, having 400 acres of his land under cultivation and keeping 150 head of cattle and horses, but he was able to give attention to other important enterprises. He was agent for the Dempster, the Fairbanks and the U. S. Supply Company; operated well-drilling outfits and dealt in all the equipments that went with this kind of business, and in addition was extensively interested in the buying and selling of land. He was a young man of acknowledged business capacity, and success met him in the most of his undertakings.
   On. February 3, 1908, Mr. Holladay was united in marriage to Miss Luella Carlson, a daughter of Oscar and Huldah Carlson, who came to Pine Bluff, Wyoming, in 1902, from Red Oak, Iowa. Mrs. Carlson died at Pine Bluff, in 1906. Mr. Holladay is survived by his widow and one son, Walter Theodore, who is attending school. Mr. Holladay served ten years on the school board and it was through his efforts that the schoolhouse was built in his school district. He was one of the organizers of the telephone line from Bushnell to southern parts of the county, and was treasurer of the telephone company until within a short time of his death. He belonged to the order of Royal Highlanders at Pine Bluff.

    ROBERT F. DAILEY has been for more than thirty years a resident of what is now Garden county, and is one of the genial and popular pioneer citizens and is now the owner of a large and well improved landed estate, which represents the splendid fruitage of past years of earnest and honest endeavor, as he experienced to the fullest extent the trials and burdens which fell to the lot of the sturdy pioneers of western Nebraska. His reward has been ample, he has unbounded confidence in the still greater progress of the Nebraska Panhandle, and takes just pride in his success and in the country with whose development and upbuilding he has been closely associated.
   Mr. Dailey is a scion of staunch Irish line-



age and is a representative of the second generation of the family in America, his parents, John and Mary (Casey) Dailey, having been born and reared in Ireland, where their marriage was solemnized, and were young people when they immigrated to the United States and became pioneer settlers in Stephenson county, Illinois, in the year 1820. There the father took up a pre-emption claim of forty acres of government land, and eventually he accumulated a valuable estate of about three hundred acres, which he reclaimed into a productive farm. His first crop of wheat he hauled to Chicago, which was then an insignificant little city, and to reach this market he was compelled to traverse a distance of eighty miles. He continued his farming enterprise in Stephenson county until his death, in 1849, and his widow passed away in 1851, when about forty-nine years of age, both having been devout communicants of the Catholic Church.
   Robert F. Dailey was reared and educated in Stephenson county, Illinois. At the age of twenty-one years he established himself in-the livery business in Butter county, Iowa, and after conducting this enterprise six years came to what is now Garden county, Nebraska, the county having been at that time still a part of Cheyenne county and having later become a part of Deuel county, prior to the erection of Garden county. He arrived August 27, 1888, and forthwith selected a homestead and a tree claim, upon both of which he proved up in due course of time; in the meantime he began practical operations in the raising of cattle and horses. With the passing years Mr. Dailey developed his original claims into a productive and well improved farm, and in 1902, he took three-fourths of a section under the provisions of the Kinkaid act, besides which he added an equal amount by purchase, so that he now has a total of twelve hundred and eighty acres, four hundred acres being under cultivation and three hundred and twenty acres receiving effective irrigation through the medium of the Lisco ditch. Mr. Dailey has proved himself a man of energy and resourcefulness, and is one of the loyal and substantial citizens of Garden county. His political support is given to the Democratic party and both he and his wife art communicants of the Catholic Church.
   On April 17, 1884, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Dailey to Miss Nellie Noonan, who was born in the state of New York but reared and educated in Butler county, Iowa, here her parents, John and Winifred (Hayes) Noonan, were pioneer settlers, both having been natives of Ireland, where their marriage was celebrated. Mr. Noonan was about seventy years of age at the time of his death, and his widow attained to the venerable age of eighty years. Mr. and Mrs. Dailey became the parents of three sons and three daughters, and of the number four are living: Bernard F., of Lisco, Garden county, is married and has two children; and John Edward, Margaret and Mary remain at home, which is a center of genial hospitality.

    WALLACE DWIGHT BEATTY, who during a long and successful career, has followed various occupations in several parts of Nebraska and Wyoming, is now a well known resident of Scottsbluff, although his operations are by no means confined to the borders of the city or county. During his residence in this state he has been in turn farmer cowboy, foreman of a cattle company, live-stockman, contractor, irrigation superintendent and then a combination of several of these enterprises at one and the same time, and in his several fields of endeavor his versatility has assisted him to well deserved prosperity. He is a native of Iowa, born in Howard county, December 1, 1866, the son of Martin and Lucy (Tamplin) Beatty. The father was a son of the Blue Grass state, who was one of the honored pioneer settlers of Cheyenne county, locating there in the very early days, when there were no railroads in this section of the state. The family suffered all the hardships and privations incident to life on the frontier. Lucy Tamplin Beatty was born in Ohio but came west to Iowa as a child and there was reared and educated in Clayton county. She married Martin Beatty and together they bravely started out to establish a home in the new country. They improved the government land on which they first settled and there Mr. Beatty engaged in general farming and stock raising. Mr. Beatty was sturdy and for many years he retained the mental and physical vigor of a man many years his junior, while his wife, who had a remarkable share in the pioneer experiences, was remarkably vigorous. In 1901, Mr. Beatty removed to Rockport, Missouri, where he died at the advanced age of eighty-one years. Mrs. Beatty lived out the psalmist's span of three score years and ten as she passed away in 1914 in her eighty-ninth year.
   Wallace Beatty was reared and educated in Howard county, Iowa, where he attended the public schools and thus laid the foundation of a good practical education. In 1876, he moved with his parents to Missouri and remained



there for nine years. He then located in eastern Nebraska but two years later came west. He filed on a claim in Banner county on which he proved up and became one of the early settlers of the Panhandle. At that early day he was farsighted enough to realize that this section was to have a wonderful development and future. After proving up on his land, Mr. Beatty accepted a position with the Ogallala Land and Cattle Company, one of the firms that had wide ranges and thousands of head of cattle on the plains. He remained with this concern for ten years, a large part of the time being spent in Wyoming, as he was foreman for them and had charge of moving the great herds from Nebraska to the higher summer pastures farther west in 1886, 1887 and 1888. In 1893, he was manager in the field of the Ogallala company and the following year helped catch the last bunch of wild horses that roamed the valleys of Montana and western Nebraska. When the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad and the Misouri (sic) Pacific Railroad were being built through Nebraska, Mr. Beatty entered independent business as a contractor for railroad grading. Meeting with gratifying success he branched out from his initial effort and when the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad was constructed was engaged in building it through Wyoming. When the government started its irrigation projects in the middle west, Mr. Beatty was one of the first men to bid on the contracts for the Tri-State ditches and put in the new intake for the Winter Creek ditch in Scottsbluff county. His standing as a contractor and specialist in irrigation won him a fine reputation among the people of the Panhandle country and in 1913, he was unanimously chosen superintendent of Enterprise ditch. For some time Mr. Beatty has had the contract for grading the roads in the Winter Creek district and it has been due to his care that this precinct has one of the best systems in the county. In 1913, Mr. Beaty again returned to the soil and engaged actively in farm enterprise, as he had been extensively engaged in feeding for ten years, shipping large consignments of stock to the great packing centers of Kansas and Nebraska each year. At the present time he owns over a hundred acres of land just south of Scottsbluff, some of which is within the city limits, and has fine residence property in Scottsbluff and Gering. While in the contracting business Mr. Beatty realized the necessity of a fine, high grade sand in all construction work, especially where cement is used and in 1917, he decided that there was money in supplying just such a commodity for concrete and now has a prosperous business in this line in the Panhandle, shipping to all points in the western part of the state. Opportunity and years are yet before Mr. Beatty, and his friends prophecy splendid things for him in the coming decades that must pass before he reaches the years to which his parents attained. Mr. Beatty is a Republican in his political views, and though he has never had time to take an active part in more than local affairs is a loyal and public-spirited citizen whose support is never withheld from helpful enterprises and good civic movements.
   Mr. Beatty's first wife was Miss Blanche Draper, who died in Gering, in 1913, leaving one child, Wallace Dell, who is living with his father in Scottsbluff, a young man of seventeen years who is making the most of the many advantages afforded him. On February 25, 1915, Mr. Beatty married Mrs. Jane Peters of Alliance, Nebraska. The family are members of the Congregational Church.

   FRED W. STONE has had a specially eventful career, through his loyal and efficient service in the United States Navy, which he again entered when the nation became involved in the great World War. He was a child at the time when he came with his widowed mother to Nebraska, and thus the honors which are his in conection (sic) with the Navy are reflected upon the state which has represented his home and in which he now resides in the city of Scottsbluff. He is one of the popular young men of Scottsbluff county and is specially entitled to recognition in this work. His mother, whose maiden name was Ella S. Fasha, is now the wife of James H. Hall, of Scotsbluff (sic), and concerning her further mention is made in the sketch of the career of Mr. Hall, on other pages of this work.
   Fred W. Stone was born at Hubert, Wyoming, on November 5, 1888, and is a son of William Edwin and Ella S. (Fasha) Stone. His father was born at Dansville, New York, and was a boy at the time of the family removal to Iowa, where he was reared and educated under the conditions that marked the pioneer era in that state. In 1863, when but fifteen years of age, his youthful patriotism led him to run away from home, in order to enter the Union service in the Civil war. He managed to enlist in an Iowa volunteer regiment that was assigned to the Army of the West, and before the close of the war he had gained an amplitude of experience in connection with the great conflict, including his participation



in the campaigns of General Sherman, with whom he took part in the historic march from Atlanta to the sea. After the close of the war he resumed his educational work and finally completed a course in civil engineering. During one winter he was engaged in trapping in Minnesota, and thereafter he spent four years in Kansas and New Mexico. He was still a comparatively young man at the time of his death, which occurred in the state of Wyoming, where he had acquired land and engaged in farming and stock-raising. Of his first marriage were born two children--Pearl H. of Mitchell, Nebraska, and Mrs. Edna Gatels, of Juliette, Wyoming--the subject of this sketch being the only child of the second marriage.
   After the death of the father of Fred W. Stone, the widowed mother came to Scottsbluff county and established her home at Gering, where was later solemnized her marriage to James H. Hall. Thus Mr. Stone gained his early education in the schools of this county, including the high school at Scottsbluff, besides which he was afforded the advantages of the Kearney Military Academy, at Kearney, this state. At the age of seventeen years he joined the United States Navy, in which he received his training course at Goat Island, California, and on the United States ship Pensacola. He was on military guard duty in San Francisco at the time of the great earthquake and fire which devastated that city in 1906, and in December of that year he was assigned to service on the steamship Milwaukee, at Mare Island, California. On this vessel he was in service on the west coast from Seattle, Washington, to Callao, Peru. In April, 1908, he was transferred to the United States steamship Wisconsin, at Bremerton, Washington, and on this vessel he served while it was the flagship of the Fourth Division of the North Atlantic Fleet in the celebrated trip made by this fleet around the world. Thus it was his privilege to visit Honolulu, New Zealand, Australia, the Philippine Islands, Japan, China, Ceylon, Egypt, Malta, Algiers, Gibralter and many other important ports, in 1908-9. The fleet arrived at Hampton Roads, Virginia, February 22, 1909, and with his command Mr. Stone thereafter participated in the inaugural parade attending the induction of President Taft into office, in the city of Washington. He received his honorable discharge from the navy on November 4, 1909, at Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and thus was released from service the day prior to his twenty-first birthday anniversary. He then returned to Nebraska and became associated with his stepfather, James H. Hall, in the operation of a ranch in Banner county, where they ran a large number of cattle, horses and mules. In December, 1910, Mr. Stone sold his interest in this enterprise to his partner, Mr. Hall, and then went to Long Pine, Brown county, and entered the employ of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Company, with which he continued his service until March, 1912. He then extended his already exceptional experience, by going to Davidson, Saskatchewan, Canada, where for the first year he devoted his attention to farming. He then engaged in the moving picture business at Prince Albert, but about one year later returned to Davidson, where he was engaged in the same line of enterprise until July, 1915, when he sold out and returned to Scottsbluff, Nebraska. Here he became associated with Clarence L. Chapin in carpentering and contracting, in which he continued successfully until the United States became involved in the war with Germany, when he entered the service of his country. On the 9th of July, 1917, he returned to the United States Navy, as a volunteer, his enlistment having taken place in the city of Omaha. He was sent to San Francisco, and in the following August was assigned to duty on the United States Steamship Standard Arrow, which loaded with oil, at Point Richmond, that state, and proceeded, by way of the Panama canal, and the Gulf of Mexico, to Hampton Roads, Virginia. The vessel then made its way to New York City and Sydney, Nova Scotia, from which latter point it crossed the Atlantic to Portsmouth, England. Mr. Stone served as chief carpenter's mate on this vessel during the remainder of the war, and within the period the boat made twelve trips across the Atlantic, carrying oil, ammunition and airplanes to different ports in England, Scotland and France, the service being especially hazardous, in view of the submarine activities of Germany. After the signing of the armistice Mr. Stone was transferred to the United States Steamship Maumee, on which he served from January 23, 1919, until he received his discharge, on the 23d of the following May, at Portsmouth, Virginia. He then returned to Scottsbluff, Nebraska, where he is to make his permanent residence.
   In politics Mr. Stone is a Republican, and he is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and with the lodge, encampment and canton bodies of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His wife holds membership in the Ladies of the Maccabees.
   At Bridgeport, Nebraska, on October 17,

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller