NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



alight, and her natural force but little abated. She is loved and revered by those who have shared with her the dangers and perils of the old pioneer days, and to the new generation she is a precious landmark of the dark past out of which the state has come. Many are the kindly invocations that rest upon her closing days.

      Mrs. Anna Funk was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, November 16, 1816, and here her parents and grandparents had originated, and hence the Funk family is one of the older families of the great Keystone state, and in former years has been associated with many important events in its history. She married Martin Funk in 1843, and for the next twenty-three years continued her residence in Pennsylvania. The family then removed into Illinois, where a stay of seven years was made, and in 1871, Mr. and Mrs. Funk brought their children to York county, and settled on the homestead where the venerable lady, whose name introduces this article, still lives with her youngest daughter, Miss Kate Funk, who is the active manager of the farm, and her son Albert. She and her husband were members for many years of the German Baptist church. He was a Whig in early life, and afterwards became a Republican upon the breaking-up of the old parties in the years that preceded the outbreak of the Civil war. He voted for William Henry Harrison in 1840, and followed down in a straight party line until the day of his death. They were the parents of eight children, seven of whom were living when they entered this state. The husband and father died in 1890, and left his aged wife in the care of his youngest daughter Kate, who undertook to care for the farm, pay off an indebtedness of eleven hundred dollars against it and see that the last days of her mother were shadowed by no anxious cares. She has nobly fulfilled her trust, and has proved herself a model business woman. The farm is in fine condition, the crops have been planted and gathered with skill and promptness, and every rising turn of the market has been made to contribute to the prosperity of the Funk place. Looking back over the past seven years in the face of the disaster and wreck that have come to so many, it is indeed an evidence of a remark able business instinct and unwearied industry that she has been able to accomplish so much.

      The Funk family was represented in the Union army by two sons, Albert H. and Elias. They settled close by the paternal home, and the father and two sons occupied nearly a section of land. It was a day of dug-outs and sod houses, and when the elder Funk put up a little house of boards for his family, he received the good-natured title of "the aristocrat" from his sons and neighbors. Those pioneer days were full of labor and anxiety, yet they have many precious and beautiful memories for those who still abide. Evenings when the long winter cold was upon the country would be signalized by the gathering of the entire family, four sons and three daughters under the family roof, to discuss plans of work for the coming spring, or for hours of song, or pleasant conversation with neighboring young men who would come in for such pleasant privileges. The old family Bible was not left behind in the family journeyings, and it had a conspicuous place in the corner. It was a modern American edition of Burns' "Cotter's Saturday Night." When the Funks first looked out on their prairie domain not a twig or a stick was to be seen. It was a wide stretch of rich black soil. But in thirty years how changed the scene. Groves abound, harvests of grain and corn are gathered that feed the poor and hungry of a kingdom, and it seems as if some old magician had passed by with his magic wand and transformed the face of the country. The dear



old lady, now resting in the loving care of her daughter on the old homestead has seen this wonderful change from the beginning. She has seven children around her. There are nineteen grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren who rise up to call her "blessed." 

Letter/label or barON. J. J. THOMAS, the present judge of Seward county, is a living illustration of the open door before the young men who adventure the possibilities of the West. Not yet thirty years of age, he has secured an important position, and is acquitting himself most creditably.

      Judge Thomas was born in Hancock county, Illinois, January 1, 1869, and is a son of John C. and Anna C. (Luft) Thomas. His father was horn in Germany, and his mother in Kentucky. The senior Thomas left Germany at the age of seventeen, and came to this country in 1860. He settled in Illinois, where he married, and where his son, the subject of this article, was born. He was engaged in farming, and in 1869 came to this county and secured a homestead. He is the father of seven sons and two daughters, all of whom are residents of this county.

      Judge Thomas was educated in the Seward schools, and supplemented their instruction by special work at Lincoln. He began the study of law in 1888, when he entered the law department of the University of Michigan. He was a close student, and received his diploma in 1890. The following year he opened an office in Seward, and entered into a professional partnership with Mr. Biggs, under the firm name of Biggs & Thomas. He came to the front very soon, and was recognized as a frank and fearless practitioner. He was elected prosecuting attorney in 1894, and the prompt and systematic dicharge (sic) of the duties of that position justified his election as county judge in 1897. Judge Thomas is a Democrat, and is very highly esteemed by all who know him. 

Letter/label or barAVID DARLING. --Doubtless the most enterprising young men of the older states have left the confines of their early homes to seek a new and wider field of operation, and among these is the gentleman whose name introduces this sketch. As a pioneer of York county, he has been prominently identified with its development and prosperity, and is to-day numbered among its progressive and successful agriculturalists.

      A native of Illinois, Mr. Darling was born in Edgar county, June 4, 1849, and is a son of David and Ermina (Falmsby) Darling, the former born in 18--, the latter in 1818. In their family were six children: Aurilla, William, Harriet, David, John and Melissa. As the father died in Edgar county, Illinois, our subject remained with his mother upon the home farm, aiding in its management and cultivation. When he was twenty-three, the family left their old home and removed to Minnesota, in 1871, but not being satisfied in that state, they turned their faces toward the still newer and wilder prairies of Nebraska, which they reached during the year 1872. Mr. Darling selected a homestead of eighty acres on section 34, township 12, range 4, York county, and also purchased another eighty-acre, tract adjoining.

      He then returned to Edgar county, Illinois, where he wedded Miss Mary H. Poor, who was born in Hendricks county, Indiana, April 7, 1850, a daughter of Andrew J. and Charlotte T. (Taylor) Poor, the former a native of Johnson county, Indiana, the latter of Hendricks county, born near Clayton. For seven years her parents lived in Clayton, where her father conducted a shoe shop, and in 1856 moved to Edgar county,



Illinois, where he engaged in the same line of business throughout the remainder of his life. He died in 1897, at the advanced age of seventy-nine years. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Darling are as follows: Nancy Aurilla, Melissa A., Sylva L., William A. and Benjamin G. Two of these are already married and have good homes of their own, and the rest will soon be grown. They have attended the best schools, and the family is one of prominence in social circles, their hospitable home always being open for the reception of their many friends.

      After his marriage Mr. Darling brought his bride to his western home, where they still continue to reside. On locating upon his farm it was entirely unimproved, not an object in sight, neither tree nor shrub nothing but prairie as far as the eye could reach. Many antelope, deer, elk and now and then a stray buffalo, chased by a still wilder Indian, could be seen dotting the level prairie. Like all the early settlers he commenced operations in York county with a machine known as the prairie plow, of peculiar construction, and with this he turned over the black soil which had never before been disturbed by the plow share. While he held his plow with one hand he would drop corn in the furrow with the other, and the next round with the plow would cover the seed up. In this way he soon had a corn field with broad leaves and tassels, waving and rustling in the sunlight of Nebraska. His crops would grow without the aid of hoe or corn-plow and would produce not less than twenty bushels of corn to the acre. Upon his place he planted trees, including apples, plums and cherries, which from year to year furnishes all the fruit the family can use. He now has a pleasant home and is surrounded by all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life, which have been secured through years of honest toil and well-directed efforts.

      Mr. Darling is a straight-forward, upright and honorable man, and he and his estimable wile are identified with the Home Forum, where they now and then spend a pleasant evening, the society having a membership of fifty. She is also an active member of the United Brethren church. In his political affiliations Mr. Darling has been a life-long Republican. 

Letter/label or barON. FRANK F. LOOMIS.--Perhaps no man in all of Butler coynty (sic) is so well known for his intelligence, active public spirit, and thorough appreciation of the wants of his locality as is the gentleman whose name heads this article. He came to the county in an early day and has since been identified with all matters which pertain to the improvement and upbuilding of the better interests of the locality in which he has lived. His, active participation in public affairs' has not been confined to his own county, but he has thoroughly acquainted himself and been associated with matters pertaining to the state. Being a man of excellent business qualifications and a character of the highest order, he has been called upon by his fellow-citizens to occupy various important official positions. In every instance he has proven his efficiency and has administered the duties of his various offices with rare fidelity and with increasing popularity. His home is now located on section 2, Bone Creek township, where he settled in the spring of 1866.

     Mr. Loomis was born in Jefferson, Ashtabula county, Ohio, December 26, 1846, a son of Chauncey Clark Loomis. The father was a native of Oneida county, New York, where he was born in the year 1808, a son of Devesta Loomis. The latter' was a native of Hartford, Connecticut, and was a soldier in the war of 1812. Our subject's father, Chauncey Clark Loomis, moved to Ashtabula county, Ohio, about the year



1828. He was a tailor by occupation, and was married in Ohio in 1844, to Miss Susan E. Wood, a daughter of Evan Wood. In 1866 he moved with his family to Butler county, Nebraska, then an unsettled and undeveloped country. Our subject was then about twenty years of age. Both he and his father took an active part in the organization of the county, and in 1868 Chauncey C. Loomis was appointed the first county judge, and our subject was appointed county surveyor, although the latter never assumed the duties of his office.

      Our subject spent his early life in Ohio and received a common-school education there. He also worked for a time in a printing office in Ohio. After moving to Butler county, Nebraska, he at once assumed a conspicuous position in public matters, was one of the most ardent workers of the Republican party, radical in his views and an opponent to machine politics. These characteristics were shown a few years later, when, in the Republican state convention, to which he was a delegate, when he independently and ably opposed the political organization, apparently at the sacrifice of his future political success. The following is an extract from the legislative year book: "In the Republican state convention which defeated Judge Maxwell for renomination to the supreme bench, Mr. Loomis was a delegate and fought vigorously against the will of the machine. Unsuccessful in his efforts, and having imbibed independent principles, he became a Silver Republican and a candidate of the free silver element for representative in 1896." Instead of resulting in the end of his political career, Mr. Loomis' thorough appreciation of the needs his fellow-citizens and his vigorous and able defence of what he considered their best interests was appreciated by his fellows and his election to the legislature by a proportionately large majority followed. Although a stranger in the legislative halls, our subject's natural force of character soon brought him into prominence and he was looked upon as a leader in that body. As a member of the committee on privileges and elections, his work on the new ballot law of Nebraska, of which he is the author, stands as a monument to his statesmanship. He is also author of the Anti-trust Elevator Bill, and he is frequently in council with the best element of the legislature.

      Mr. Loomis has been twice married. His first wife, who bore the maiden name of Emily Perkins, was a daughter of E. M. Perkins, and met him at the altar of hymen in 1877. To this union were born four children, whose names in the order of their birth are as follows: Mabel, Maud, Gertrude and Mary. Mrs. Loomis died, and in 1894 our subject was united in marriage to Ethie M. Betis, who was a teacher by occupation, having taught for several years in the public schools and also for four years in the David City high school. To this union have been born two children, Edna and Ethel, twins. Both our subject and Mrs. Loomis are members of the Degree of Honor, and he is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. They are living on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Bone Creek township. 

Letter/label or barON. SERVITUS V. MOORE, M. D., one of the pioneer physicians of York county, Nebraska, was born in Starke county, Ohio, October 12, 1835, a son of John and Sarah Moore.

      The Doctor was educated in Medina and Wayne counties, Ohio, and taught school there for some time. He began to read medicine in 1851, in Fulton county, Indiana, but only read six months there, and completed his course in Brown county, Illinois, under Doctor Higbee. He began the practice of his profession at Fredericksville, Illinois, and was thus engaged for several



years. He then retired from medical practice for a few years and engaged in the manufacture of stoneware at Whitehall, Illinois. In 1869 he came to York county, Nebraska, took a claim north of Bradshaw, and followed the pursuit of agriculture for a few years, during which time he also spent about twelve years in the practice of his profession in York county.

      In August, 1857, Doctor Moore was united in marriage to Miss Laura A. Morris, a native of Virginia, and their home has been blessed by the presence of a family of three children, viz: Dr. Orvill Moore, of York; Robert S., who is engaged in the hardware trade; and Alice M. A fourth child was born to them but it died young.

      The Doctor has been a Mason since the age of twenty-one. Formerly he was a Republican, in political views, but is now independent of parties. He was the first county commissioner of York county, and has also filled several of the minor offices. He has twice represented the county in the state legislature, the first time being in 1876-77, and was again elected in 1880 for a term of two years. Doctor Moore is at present engaged in the hardware business in Bradshaw in company with his youngest son.

Letter/label or barENRY H. CAMPBELL, the well-known postmaster, and editor and proprietor of the Osceola Record, is a native of Adams county, Iowa, born December 2, 1865, and is a son of Benjamin C. and Elizabeth Ann (Scott) Campbell, the former born at Fort Wayne, Ohio, when that place was a government fort on the frontier, the latter born in Indiana. The paternal great-grandfather of our sketch was a Quaker and of Scotch descent. The grandfather bore the name of James Campbell. Five of his sons were members of the Union army during the Rebellion, and two were killed in battle. Our subject's father enlisted in Company F, Twenty-first Missouri Regiment, and for three years valiantly fought for the preservation of the union, taking part in every battle with his regiment except one. Fortunately he was never wounded nor taken prisoner. After his marriage, which was celebrated in Indiana, he moved to Iowa, and in 1872 came to Polk county, Nebraska, taking up his residence a mile and a half north of Osceola upon a claim he had secured the year previous. This he improved and cultivated, but finally sold in 1889. Two years before he had gone to Keya Paha county, Nebraska, where he made his home until 1893, but since that time has lived retired in Osceola, enjoying the fruits of his former toil. He and his wife are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he also belongs to the G. A. R. post at Osceola. Their children are Norris Scott, Mary Maria, Rev. James Samuel, John Allen, Flora Cinderella, Henry H. and Clarissa Anna.

      Being only six years old at the time of the removal of the family to Polk county, Mr. Campbell grew to manhood here, and completed his literary education in the high school of Osceola, being a member of the first graduating class. Subsequently he engaged in teaching school in Polk county, and for two years was bookkeeper for the Osceola Bank, leaving that position to take charge of the Record in May, 1890. This paper was established August 27, 1873, by H. T. Arnold, who was succeeded by Frank Burgess October 15, 1873. The next editor was M. E. Crookham, who sold out to the Osceola Printing Company, but later Mr. Burgess again had charge until April 15, 1874, when he was succeeded by W. F. Kimmel. From August 11, 1875, until November 17, the same year, Calmar McCune was the owner, and was succeeded by S. F. Fleharty. Up to this time the title of the



paper had been The Homesteader, but was changed to the present name by Mr. Fleharty, who subsequently sold out to H. C. and Ada M. Bittenbender, who had control until October, 1881, when Mr. McCune again took it, owning it until November 23, 1882. In February, 1883, it was sold to D. M. Butler, who was succeeded by Mr. Campbell in May, 1890, as before stated. It has steadily prospered under his able management and is now one of the foremost journals in this section of the state.

      Mr. Campbell was married July 2, 1890, to Miss Anna Teele, a native of Vermont, who was educated in Tabor College, Iowa. Her father, Rev. Edwin E. Teele, was a Congregational minister, and while serving as a home missionary in Minnesota, died in that state. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have four children: Harold Ray, Phillips Brooks, Esther and Benjamin Burdette. The parents are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Osceola, and Mr. Campbell has always been identified with the Republican party. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and of the Blue lodge of the Masonic Order at Osceola, in which he has served as junior warden one year and secretary two years. On the 11th of November, 1897, he received the appointment of postmaster of Osceola, and assumed the duties of the office January I, 1898. He is proving a painstaking and popular official, and as a citizen merits and receives the highest confidence and esteem of all who know him. 

Letter/label or barUDGE T. L. NORVAL, whose residence is in Seward, Nebraska, is a lawyer whose legal attainments and personal character have found a fitting recognition by his election to the supreme bench of the state. He possesses the judicial instinct, and from the moment he began the practice of the profession the spirit of equity and right was seen to be very strong in his nature.

      Judge Norval was born in Fulton county, Illinois, August 26, 1847, and his parents, Oliver and Mary J. (Sampson) Norval, though natives of North Carolina and Maryland, were of Scotch descent. The father left North Carolina in 1832, moved into Indiana, where he remained three years. He moved into Illinois in 1835, where he lived out the remainder of his life. He was twice married, was the father of twenty-one children, and died in 1891. His son, the present judge, was educated in the common schools of Illinois, and completed his general studies at Hedding College, a well-known school at Abbington, Illinois. After his graduation at this institution he engaged in teaching for several years, and while busy in the school room was laying the foundation of that successful career he has had in the legal profession. He entered the law department of the University of Michigan in 1869, in company with his brother, R. S., and together with him traversed the academic halls. He was graduated in March, 1871, and was admitted to the bar of the supreme court of Michigan at the time of his graduation. Before attending the University he had already secured a minor practice, and had accumulated through his own exertion a considerable library of valuable law books.

      Judge Norval made his first visit to Seward in 1869, when he made the journey from Lincoln to this point on foot. He was so well pleased with the prospect of the country, that in 1872 he came to Seward to engage in the practice of his profession. That year he was admitted to the bar in this state, and at once formed a partnership with his brother R. S., under the firm name of Norval Brothers. This professional and fraternal association continued unbroken until his election to the bench. He was sent to the state senate in



1879, and was appointed to the district bench in 1883, to complete the unexpired term of Judge Post. He acquitted himself so well in this responsible position that he was twice elected to it by the people. In January, 1890, he resigned to accept the office of supreme judge, to which he had been elected in November, 1889. He discharged the duties of the high position so admirably that he was re-elected in 1895.

      Judge Norval was married in 1875 to Miss Ella Godfrey, whose birthplace was in Knox county, Illinois. They have had two children. One is dead, and a daughter, Winnifred, is living. Judge and Mrs. Norval are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and their well ordered lives attest the strength of their moral and religious convictions. He is a Mason, and a member of the Ancient Order of the United Workmen. He is a leading spirit in the councils of the Republican party of the state, and his utterances are listened to with respect. He speaks only after careful meditation, and his words bear weight 

Letter/label or barRIGHT B. OGG, the present efficient and popular sheriff of Fillmore county, has been a resident of his locality for eighteen years. He was for a long period connected with the farming interests of the community but now makes his home in Geneva. He belongs to that class of representative citizens whose progressive spirit and practical methods materially advance the interests and welfare of the localities with which they are connected, and the history of Fillmore county would be incomplete without the record of his life.

      Mr. Ogg was born in Sangamon county, Illinois, on the 10th of January, 1850, and is a son of Bright B. and Francis (Thomas) Ogg, who were natives of Kentucky, whence they emigrated to Sangamon county, Illinois. The father was a carpenter by trade, and in addition to that pursuit carried on farming. Both he and his wife spent their last days in Macoupin county, Illinois.

      Upon the home farm in the county of his nativity Bright B. Ogg spent the days of his boyhood and youth and early became familiar with the, duties that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. He is indebted to the public school system for the educational privileges which he enjoyed. From Sangamon he removed to Macoupin county, and after a few years left Illinois for Nebraska; this was in the year 1880. He located in Fillmore county, purchasing land in Geneva township, about nine miles from Geneva. Since that time he has bought and sold several farms and is now the owner of a valuable tract of land of two hundred acres pleasantly located within three and a half miles of the county seat. It is nearly all under cultivation and is in a high state of improvement, substantial buildings and all modern accessories indicating the thrift and enterprise of the owner. For the past twelve years Mr. Ogg has been extensively engaged in stock dealing, buying, feeding and shipping, and has found this a profitable source of income.

      Mr. Ogg was married in Macoupin county, Illinois, February 10, 1876, to Miss Ella Redfern, a native of Kansas and a daughter of John and Polly (Pritchett) Redfern. They now have a family of seven children, namely: Ora L., James W., Charles C., Cecil, Chloe, Josie and Hazel.

      In the fall of 1895 Mr. Ogg became the Populist candidate for the office of county sheriff and was elected by a majority of one hundred and seventy-three. After serving for two years he was re-nominated and elected by a majority of two hundred and forty-nine, a fact which plainly indicates his faithful and fearless service and his personal popularity among the law-abiding citizens. He was a Democrat in his early political affiliations, but has since the organ-



ization of the Populist party been one of its stanch advocates. Socially he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Fraternal Aid. 

Letter/label or barON. GEORGE W. POST.--In modern ages, and to a large extent in the past, banks have constituted a vital part of organized society and governments, both monarchical and popular, have depended upon them for material aid in times of depression and trouble. Their influence has extended over the entire world, and their prosperity has been the barometer which has unfalteringly indicated the financial status of all nations. Of this important branch of business Judge Post is a worthy representative. He is now president of the First National Bank of York, and is regarded as one of the most prominent figures in the business life of the county.

      A native of Cumberland, Guernsey county, Ohio, Judge Post was born February 20, 1851, and is a son of William E. and Sarah S. Post. The father was a Presbyterian minister and in consequence resided in various parts of the country. Before the war of the Rebellion he removed to Missouri, but after a short time went to Bloomfield, Iowa, where his death occurred in 1868.

      In the district schools of Iowa, and in the Troy high school, the subject of this review acquired his education. When a youth of only fourteen years he responded to his country's call for aid, enlisting at Bloomfield, Iowa, for one hundred days' service, in the Forty-fifth Iowa Infantry. In early life, thinking to devote his energies to the legal profession, he began reading law in the office of Hon. H. C. Travers, of Bloomfield, and was admitted to the bar in 1871. Not long afterward he removed to York, Nebraska, being one of the first lawyers to locate in the county. Here he practiced in partnership with T. L. Warrington for a short time, and was then alone in the conduct of the important litigation entrusted to his care until 1875, when he was elected judge of the fourth judicial district. So capably did he fill the office through the four-years term, that he was re-elected in 1879. He seemed fully to realize the importance of the profession to which he devoted his energies, and the fact that justice and the higher attribute of mercy he often held in his hands. His reputation as a lawyer was won through earnest, honest labor and his standing at the bar was a merited tribute to his ability. Other official honors were bestowed upon him and in the state legislature and the office of internal revenue collector, he won high encomiums by his prompt and faithful performance of his duty.

      Judge Post's connection with the banking interests of the county covers a long period and it is largely due to his efforts and able administration that the First National ranks first among the financial institutions of the state. The first bank of York county was established in the city of York, January 1, 1877, and was known as the McWherter Bank, the owner and president thereof being William M. McWherter, who conducted the enterprise until 1879 when he died. The bank was then continued by D. S. Sayer and F. K. Atkins, who organized the Commercial State Bank, which was conducted a number of years with Mr. Sayer as president. During that time Cyrus Langworthy organized a bank at York, of which he was president and A. C. Ward cashier. This was later merged into the First National Bank, which was organized May 6, 1882, the first officers being Richard C. Outclat, president and Ed. Mosher, cashier. This institution was later purchased by Sayer & Atkins, and consolidated with the Commercial State Bank, February 6, i886,



with F. O. Bell as president and W. J. Wildmore, cashier. Some ten years prior to this the Exchange Bank was organized, with E. D. Einsel as president and after several years was purchased by Judge Post and Lee Love. Under the name of the York National it was conducted until October 19, 1893, when the York National and the First National consolidated under the name of the latter, but the officers of the former continued in their respective positions. The bank is now capitalized for fifty thousand dollars, with a surplus of fifty thousand and undivided profits to the amount of fourteen thousand. They do a general banking business and the institution has an unassailable reputation, which insures to it a liberal patronage. The officers are G. W. Post, president. and E. J. Wightman, and all the stockholders reside in the county.

      Judge Post was married January 1, 1879, in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania, to Miss Laura McConaughy, a resident of that place. He is a man of subjective modesty, entirely free from ostentation or display, but his fellow citizens know him as a man of sterling worth and honor him for his well-spent life. 

Letter/label or barRANK J. ZEMAN is a capable and accomplished teacher of Bruno, Nebraska, and though not yet thirty years of age he has won high standing in this noble profession. It is a profession with him and not simply a stepping stone to something else. He puts his heart and soul into it, and is making a record for careful work, and conscientious devotion to it, that will place him well to the front before he grows much older.

      Mr. Zeman was born in Bohemia in 1869, but coming to this country when only six months of age, he is as it were to the manor born, and bears himself as a true American. His father established the family in Faulkner, Franklin county, Iowa, where the young Frank grew up to manhood, receiving the education the public schools afforded and graduating from the high school at Iowa Falls in 1891. Upon his graduation he immediately engaged in teaching, and soon became an educator of acknowledged character and standing. He came to this state and taught in Dodge schools of Dodge county for a time, and was chosen principal of the city schools in Bruno in 1895. He still holds this position, and in it has rendered invaluable service to the cause of education. He has brought the various departments of the school up to a high grade, and has inspired the youth under his charge with an unusual zeal and devotion to their studies.

      Joseph Zeman was the father of our subject and belonged to an old and leading family in Bohemia. He taught his son to revere its great names and glorious deeds even while he turned his back upon it, and sought a home in the new world. Mr. Zeman has a not unnatural pride in the fact that he is native to a country whose sons have done so much for human progress in other days, and is adopted to a land where the light of liberty and justice shines for all. He was married in Bruno, May 19, 1897, to Miss Agnes Rerucha, a daughter of Joseph Rerucha, formerly of Saunders county. They were early settlers in the state, and she has become a worthy helpmeet to her talented and popular husband. 

Letter/label or barUGENE A. WALRATH, who has always had a taste for journalistc (sic) work, is now the able editor and proprietor of the Polk County Democrat, published at Osceola, Nebraska. He was born in Rochelle, Illinois, November 26, 1867, a son of J. and Jennie (Fell) Walrath, the former a native of New York, the latter of Canada.



They were married in Oregon, Illinois, and lived in Ogle county, that state, until 1883, when they removed to Washington county, Kansas, but after two years spent there, they came to Polk county, Nebraska, where they still reside, honored and respected by the entire community. Of their two children, the younger, H. C. Walrath, is now the editor of the Mt. Morris Index, of Mt. Morris, Illinois.

      The boyhood and youth of our subject were mainly passed in Rochelle, Illinois, where he attended high school, but completed his education in the high school at Greenleaf, Kansas. On starting out in life for himself he was in the drug business for a time, but on coming to Osceola in 1885 became interested in newspaper work. He had always a fondness for a printing office, and was usually found in one wherever he lived. In this way he early obtained a fair knowledge of the printing business in its various departments, on coming to Osceola accepted a position in the office of the Record, which was then conducted by D. M. Butler. On severing his connection with that establishment he started the Democrat, July 19, 1888, and has since carried it on, building it up to its present high standing. It is now one of the best edited papers in the county, and is a credit to its founder and manager. In politics it was Democratic until 1896, since which time it has given its influence and support to the Populist movement. It is a six-column quarto, and is a bright, newsy sheet, filled with both general and local matters of interest to its many patrons.

      Mr. Walrath was married August 14, 1890, to Miss Birdie L. Pulver, a native of Viroqua, Wisconsin, and a daughter of Oliver and Hanna (Bixby) Pulver, now residents of Payson, Utah. Mrs. Walrath was educated in the schools of Osceola, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church there. Mr. and Mr. Walrath have a little daughter--Maurine. Although a stanch Democrat in politics, Mr. Walrath has never been an office seeker. Socially he is identified with the blue lodge, No. 67, F. & A. M., of Osceola; the Odd Fellows Lodge, No. 75; and the Camp of Modern Woodmen of America, of which he is chief officer, or consul. 

Letter/label or barON. HIRAM LESLIE SMITH, M. D., is one of the oldest business men of Fillmore county, and bears upon his shoulders the burden of seventy years of an active and earnest life. He is the president of the Citizen's Bank, of Geneva, and may properly be spoken of as one of the leading men of Nebraska.

      Dr. Smith was born in Franklin county, New York, October 19, 1828, and is a son of John C. and Esther Parker (Culver) Smith, both of whom were natives of Vermont, and settlers of New York very early in life. His father removed to Ohio about 1835, and for many years was steward of Granville College, a Baptist institution near Granville, that is now known as Denison University. He passed his last years in retirement in Steuben county, Indiana, where several of his children have established themselves.

     Dr. Smith was about seven years old when his parents removed to Ohio and he received a very liberal education for the times. He was a student at Granville University, and became a very successful teacher. Teaching, however, was for him but a stepping stone into the field of medicine. At twenty-two he began his preparation for the profession, and reading at intervals, he worked his way along a difficult road into professional success. He went into the harvest field, and swung a cradle for two dollars and fifty cents a day, and by other equally arduous labors paid his way through school. He graduated

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller