NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Next page




from the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical Institute in 1856, after taking a full course of instruction with a creditable standing, and entered into professional practice at Flint, Indiana, where he met with success from the start. He was at Flint seven years when he removed to the neighboring town of Orland, where he found an enlarged field for his professional labors, which he fully utilized. For fifteen years he held a prominent position in the affairs of Orland and vicinity, and exerted a wide influence for good upon a host of young men. He was a trustee of the Indiana Northwestern Institute for fifteen years consecutively, from which a great number of students have gone to the University of Michigan. It is thought that perhaps more people have prepared for that famous university at this school than any other similar institution. During these years he made several trips to Nebraska, and thinking it presented a favorable opportunity for investments, put in considerable money in different ways in this county and in the city of Lincoln. These interests soon became extensive and demanded annual trips for their proper conservation. Finally he determined to settle in Nebraska, and give all his time to his extensive commercial enterprises. He made his home in 1875 in Geneva, where he has since resided. It was but a most insignificant village then, of scarcely fifty inhabitants, but presenting great possibilities as the prospective county seat. He has done much to build up the town in these intervening years, and while he has declined to practice his profession he has never been able to refuse the demands of old friends, who were his patrons back in Indiana. Wherever he has render medical assistance he has uniformly refused all compensation, preferring to regard it as neighborly kindness rather than professional work.

      In the meantime the business interests of the quondam Indiana doctor have grown very extensive. For a dozen years or more he was the partner in the general mercantile establishment of J. T. Platt & Company, but in the main has preferred to keep very close to his real estate enterprises. That he has a large faith in Fillmore county and this part of the west is supported by the fact of his owning twelve hundred acres in this county, and more than one thousand acres in Jefferson county, besides other western lands in large amounts. He became associated with the Citizens' Bank of Geneva, soon after its organization, and for the last four years has been its president. It was organized January 1, 1885, with a capital stock of twenty thousand dollars, which was but half paid up. To-day it has a capital stock of fifty thousand dollars, fully paid in, and a standing as one of the solid financial institutions of the west which is beyond question. He was the first mayor of the city, and served three consecutive terms since in that capacity. It was during his administration that the water works were installed, and other advanced steps taken. He was elected state senator in 1885 and has always been an ardent Republican. In the senate he made a good record and became known throughout the state as an inflexible opponent of vicious and injudicious legislation.

      In local interests Dr. Smith has always taken a large view of all questions and worked for the best interests of his own community. He has recently donated his magnificent private library of nearly eight hundred volumes for the purpose of establishing a city library and reading room. The new philanthropy has its rooms on the third floor of the Citizens' Bank building, and is in the charge of the Masonic and Odd Fellow lodges as trustees. It bears the name of the H. L. Smith Library in his honor, and has possibilities of limitless good.



      Dr. Smith is a Mason of high degree and enthusiastic devotion to the craft. He is a member of the commandery, the thirty-second degree Scottish Rite and the Shrine. His Masonic history covers a period of nearly forty years and throughout it has been highly creditable both to himself and the order. He has united with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and several other fraternal societies, and is a man who likes the company of other men. He was married in 1855 to Miss Phoebe A. Williams, a native of Mansfield, Ohio, where she was in her early life a playmate with the Shermans. She died in Orland, Indiana, leaving two children, who are now living. Hattie is the wife of Mark J. Butler, a prosperous Nebraska farmer, whose land adjoins Geneva. Curtis Adams is also a resident of this county, where he owns and farms a half section of land a mile east of Geneva. Both brother and sister have received from their openhanded father the present of a half section of good farming land, with stock, implements and everything required for successful cultivation. With his two children about him comfortably established in homes of their own, and assured of a competence, and commanding the respect and esteem of all who have met him either in business or personal relations, Dr. Smith enters upon a serene and honored old age. A portrait of Dr. Smith appears on another page. 

Letter/label or barOTHER'S JEWELS' HOME.--A full and complete history of this home for orphan children would fill a small sized volume, and in the limited space alloted us we can only give a brief outline of the origin and growth of this most worthy enterprise. The first move made in this direction in Nebraska was by Doctor Armstrong, of Platte county, when he established a small home for boys, but having limited means at his disposal he was unable to accomplish much. A board of trustees was appointed, however, among whom was Mrs. Burwell Spurlock, and to her efforts is due the establishment of the present comfortable and commodious quarters at York. In 1890 she was a delegate to the national convention of the Woman's Home Missionary Society held at Syracuse, New York. Mrs. Rutherford B. Hayes was president of the society at that time and she had long cherished a plan to found a national home for orphan children of Methodist ministers. At this convention the subject was brought up for discussion, and of course almost every delegate had a place to suggest for the location of the home. Among others Mrs. Spurlock presented the advantages of the great west and gave many excellent reasons for locating it in Nebraska, among which was the one that some little had already been done along that line, and she believed that the farm given by Doctor Armstrong would be transferred to the society. In accordance with this suggestion a committee was appointed to confer with the Doctor and investigate the property. They proceeded to Platte county, but found on investigation that the location was poorly adapted to such an enterprise and that the farm was also badly incumbered with debt. By this time, however, the Methodists in Nebraska had become interested in the movement, and the committee came to York to confer with the conference then in session here. Many offers were made by different places of lands and funds, and among the cities offering the largest amounts were both Omaha and Lincoln, but Mrs. Spurlock still maintained that the school should be located away from any city, where the bad effects of city life would not surround the children. The citizens of York then made a generous offer of a ten-thousand-dollar farm adjoining the city, and it was finally decided to locate



the home at this place, the society agreeing on their part to at once erect a ten-thousand-dollar building on the grounds. The erection of a three story brick building was begun and completed in due course of time, costing fifteen thousand dollars, and other buildings were also erected. After all of this work was accomplished the next question that arose was who was the proper person to assume the management of it. A strong influence was brought to bear on Mr. and Mrs. Spurlock to undertake the responsibility, and they finally consented. The wisdom of this choice has been fully proven, as the home under their able management has been a success in every particular. Here are ample accommodations for one hundred children, and they come from all parts of this great country of ours, remaining here until good homes are found for them in private families. Mr. Spurlock superintends the management of the farm, and the products raised thereon go a long ways in supporting the home. There is a good school where the pupils can complete a seventh-grade course, and upon the place are employed one man, seven female assistants and a nurse. 

Letter/label or barURWELL AND ISABELLA (DAVIS) SPURLOCK. --This age is not wholly utilitarian. On all sides we see some earnest souls laboring devotedly to bring about a recognition of some higher principle in life than selfish greed, and stimulating in the hearts of others a desire for spiritual progress. The friends of Mr. and Mrs. Spurlock will see in their years of faithful work in all forms of religious endeavor, a source of present good to the community and long after they have entered unto their final rest their influence will continue in everlasting circles. They are best known, however, in connection with Mother's Jewels' Home at York, Nebraska, which they have so successfully managed for several years, and in the establishment of which Mrs. Spurlock took so active and prominent a part. They unselfishly devote their entire time and attention to this good work, making a pleasant home for many orphan children. A sketch of this home is given elsewhere in this work.

      Mr. Spurlock was born in Wayne county, West Virginia, June 28, 1835, and is a son of Wesley and Mary (Booton) Spurlock, natives of the Old Dominion. He is also a descendant of Isaac Spurlock, one of the first chaplains of congress in colonial days. The father, who was a farmer by occupation, removed to Illinois at an early day, subsequently made his home in Iowa, and from that state came to Nebraska, spending his last days in Nebraska City, where his death occurred March 24, 1893. He reared a family of nine children, six sons and three daughters, all of whom are still living with the exception of one son. Burwell Spurlock's early education was secured in the common schools of Illinois and Iowa, and later he attended the Iowa Wesleyan University. He began his business career as a merchant at Plattsmouth, Nebraska, being one of the pioneers of that city, where he took up his residence on the 1st of April, 1856, and there he made his home until coming to York. He was one of the most prominent and influential citizens, and he was often called into public life, serving as clerk of the county eight years, ex officio probate judge and as superintendent of public instruction in connection with that office.

      On the first of November, 1860, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Spurlock and Miss Isabella Davis, a daughter of William H. and Sarah E. Davis, natives of Tennessee. Her father was a relative of Jefferson Davis, and left the south on account of his views on the slavery question, living for some time in both Illinois and



Iowa, and later at Plattsmouth, Nebraska. From that city he removed to Missouri, and continued to make that state his home until called to his final rest. He engaged in farming and in other business enterprises and filled several official appointments such as sheriff. Mrs. Spurlock was born in Missouri, and received a liberal education in public and private schools. In 1883 she entered the missionary field of the Methodist church as special missionary under auspices of the Womans Home Missionary Society for organization of that work in Utah, where she succeeded in inaugurating a good work, which has since been carried forward. She and her husband have labored untiringly for the good of humanity, and their noble, christian lives have gained for them the love and respect of all who have the pleasure of their acquaintance. They have one son, George M. Spurlock, now county judge of Cass county, Nebraska, but are really parents to the homeless little ones who have found shelter in "Mother's Jewels' Home," and have been so tenderly cared for by them. 

Letter/label or barAPT. JOHN L. WILSON.--There are plain unassuming men engaged in peaceful pursuits to-day, who hide heroic hearts behind humble garb. They are the men who left everything in the fateful days of the great Rebellion to fight and die if need be, for the hope of the world. And among them Captain Wilson, whose home is on section 18, Waco township, York county, stands second to none. He was early at the front, and made a noble record for himself and his company, and did not return to his home until the clouds of war had rolled away.

      Captain Wilson belongs to a distinguished family of Massachusetts, though his father and mother were living in St. Lawrence county, New York, at the time of his birth, April 18, 1829. Their names were John T. and Sarah (Mason) Wilson, and they were natives of the old Bay state, where his grandfather, James Wilson, lived and died. The maternal grandfather of Captain Wilson came into this country from Alsace-Lorraine, a province of France at that time, when a boy only sixteen years old. He came in company with the Marquis De Lafayette, and securing the consent of his illustrious patron, enlisted in the American army. He served throughout the Revolution, and when peace returned to the distracted colonies, made his home in Massachusetts, where he lived for many years environed in the affection of the people he had helped to free.

      John T. Wilson early settled in New York, and carried on farming operations in St. Lawrence county, where he made his permanent home. He was born August 14, 1783, and died July 29, 1869. His wife was born August 8, 1790, and entered into rest June 5, 1870. They lived together many years, and were the parents of six children, of whom Captain Wilson was the youngest. Frederick G., the oldest son, died a few months ago at the age of eighty-three years. Jesse B. and Ann are living in New York. Electa E. (Mrs. Day) lives in Day county, South Dakota, and Sarah J. (Laughlin) has her home in Springfield, Illinois. The venerable parents of this family were members of the Congregational church, and were much respected for their genuine character and sterling worth. He was a captain in the state militia of Massachusetts, and took an active interest in public affairs.

      Captain Wilson was reared in the parental home, and received unusual educational advantages. He attended the excellent public schools of the community in which his boyhood was passed, and prepared for college. He was a student in the famous old Amherst College of Massachu-



setts, and was graduated with the class of 1855. Leaving the college, he engaged in teaching for several years. Indeed he was a natural pedagogue, and manifested unusual ability as a teacher, and for eighteen years devoted much of his time to that noble work. In the latter part of this period he taught in a boys' boarding school at Amherst, Massachusetts. And he recalls with considerable satisfaction that the proceeds of his work as a teacher very largely paid his way through college. In 1855 he removed to Illinois, and located near Springfield, where the breaking out of the Civil war found him very favorably known both as a man and a teacher. He promptly offered his services to the government, and was authorized to raise a company for the war. He readily accomplished it and was chosen its captain. He enlisted August 5, 1862, and his company was designated Company G, One Hundred and Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. It was sent south and became a part of Sherman's corps, of General Grant's army. The old One Hundred and Fourteenth had an honorable history, and was associated with many of the most stirring scenes and events of the great war. They were engaged in the, first battle at Jackson,. Mississippi, and in the siege of Vicksburg, where it was stationed in the first line of attack until the greater number of its members had become disabled. July 3, 1863, General Sherman selected this regiment for the special work of protecting Messenger's Ford on Black river and driving away the advance guard of General Johnston's army. It was a dangerous work, and fraught with possibilities of grave disaster, but it was gallantly done. After the surrender of Vicksburg, the One Hundred and Fourteenth assisted in the siege and capture of Jackson, Mississippi. It was then sent to Camp Sherman where it was stationed some time for recuperation. When it was again in shape it was transferred to the Sixteenth Army Corps, and came under the command of General Hurlbert. The regiment saw service under him at Oak Ridge, Mississippi, and participated in several minor battles and skirmishes. Captain Wilson was on detached duty for a time at Memphis, Tennessee, where he was provost marshal for one year and one year as assistant, and was mustered out with the regiment at Springfield, Illinois, August 15. 1865,

      Captain Wilson lost no time in resuming his work as a teacher, which he followed for the next two years. He then went into the wholesale hay business at Pana, Illinois. In the fall of 1878, he came into Nebraska, and located where this history finds him. He was married December 5, of the same year, to Miss Mary A. Keyes, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Gershom and Percilla Keyes, but she did not long survive her marriage. She died January 1, 1880, and Captain Wilson entered the matrimonial relations for a second time, October 13, 1881, Mrs. Elizabeth C. Bresee (née Nolton) being the other contracting party. She belongs to one of the old families of New York, and is a native of Lewis county of that state. Her parents were George Berrell and Mary Elizabeth (Robbins) Nolton. Her father was born in Holland Patent, and in his school days was a schoolmate of Grover Cleveland. Her mother was a daughter of Royal Robbins, who came from Connecticut with his parents into New York in the days of pioneer hardships. They lived at first in a little one-room cabin, and had wolves and other wild beasts for unpleasant neighbors. Her father died January '6, 1892, but Mrs. Nolton still survives and lives at the age of sixty-eight in Chicago. They were the parents of three children, of whom Mrs. Wilson is the oldest. George Robbins, the second child, has passed on, leaving a wife and one child. The youngest daughter,



Jennie E. (Mrs. Messerve), lives in Chicago. Mrs. Wilson married J. H. Bresee in 1875. She bore him two children, a son and a daughter. Burrill H. was drowned in the Blue river August 13, 1895. The daughter, Elizabeth A., is still with her mother. Mrs. Wilson was born December 17, 1854. Mr. Wilson has one child by this second marriage, Lorena M., born May 7, 1886

      Captain Wilson is a man of strong individuality, and an impressive character. He made a success in school-teaching, and when he left the school-room to enter the army his pupils in the Pleasant Hill district in Sangamon county, presented him with a sword, sash and belt, and these tokens of a kindly feeling were accompanied with such appreciative sentiments and affectionate expressions that the sword rarely left his presence. He still holds it among his choicest treasures. During his entire term of service he maintained a strong and consistent temperance position, which gave him a reputation in his regiment as that of a man with ideals and practices running very closely together. Captain Wilson is a prosperous farmer, and owns one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he has brought under a high state of cultivation. He has a comfortable home, and ample farm buildings, with orchard and shade trees. He carries on general farming. He is a Republican in his political affiliations, but has little liking for official honors. He has been township supervisor, and represented this district in the legislature of 1887, but several times he has declined to accept honors and responsibilities that were forced upon him. In earlier life he refused a nomination to the Illinois legislature. He is a man of strong religious convictions, and was formerly a member of the Congregational church, where he served as deacon, but is now a member of the Methodist Protestant church at Waco. He is a member of the quarterly conference, and a trustee of the local church. He is an honorable and upright man, and well sustains the family traditions. 

Letter/label or bar. O. ANDERSON, the present broadminded and progressive superintendent of schools for Seward county, is a young man, and is hardly past his thirtieth birthday, but he understands the making of a good school, and knows very well the constituent elements of a successful teacher, and the people are satisfied that he is the right man in the right place.

     Superintendent Anderson was born in Lucas county, Iowa, March 26, 1867. His parents were William and Margaret (Evans) Anderson, and were both born in Pennsylvania. The father was engaged in a general mercantile business in the state of his origin, but in 1866 found it overcrowded, and journeyed into Iowa, seeking a good location. He did not find it to his mind, and the next year disposed of his interest there and came to this county, and engaged in farming, making homestead entry to a farm two miles west of the city, and died there in 1876. His first residence was a dug-out, which gave way in the course of a little time to a very fair frame house and at the time of his death he had one of the finest homes in the county. He was the father of three sons and four daughters. All the boys are living in this county.

     The future superintendent was educated in the sod schools of the pioneer days, and it is to be presumed that the rude surroundings did not tend to the deterioration of the learning that was there imparted. He was a determined student, and from the sod school he went to the Seward high school. He attended the Campbell University at Holton, Kansas, and was a student for two years at the Lincoln Normal school, at Lincoln, being graduated from that institution in 1895. During these years he had done much



teaching in this county, and in 1891 he was first elected superintendent, and served two years. He was again elected in 1897, and is now filling that responsible position to the very general satisfaction of the public. In 1895 and 1896 he was principal at Valentine, Nebraska. During this time he was elected vice-president of the Lincoln Normal, and filled the chair of science in that school until his election to his present position. He has taken an active interest in political affairs, and holds strongly by the principles and doctrines of the Populist party. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and of the Tribe of Ben Hur. He belongs to the State Educational Association, and is a power in the Nebraska school world. He was married September 7, 1898, to Miss I. McCroy, a resident of Kearney, Nebraska. 

Letter/label or barOLONEL HENRY W. CHASE--A prominent position among the citizens of Polk county, Nebraska, is that held by the gentleman whose name heads these paragraphs. His standing in the community is important in many respects, including as it does his reputation as a private citizen, as well as a public servant. He was born in Chautauqua county, New York, November 15, 1841, and his father having been killed when he was two years of age, he was adopted by Isaiah G. and Amanda (Hoyt) Chase. They were natives of Pennsylvania and Connecticut, respectively, and were married in the Empire state. After their marriage they took up their residence in Chautauqua county, New York, where they made their home until 1859, when they removed to Illinois, and located in McHenry county. Our subject was raised by them until he had reached a man's estate, and was able to care for himself.

      Mr. Chase enlisted August 9, 1862, in Company F, Ninety-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as a private. The regiment was organized at Rockford, Illinois, and was ordered into Kentucky and Tennessee, where at Jackson, in the last mentioned state, they joined Grant's army. Our subject participated in the following engagements: Tallahatchee river and Grant's campaign in Northern Mississippi, the siege of Vicksburg, Grand Gulf, Raymond, Champion Hill, both charges on the works at the capture of Vicksburg and in the one which occurred on May 22d; of a whole company who charged the works only seven men and the captain returned unharmed; Natchez, Red river expedition, Fort De Russy, Clouterville, Mansouri, Yellow Bayou, Guntown, the campaign against Price in Arkansas and Missouri in 1864; the campaign against Hood in Tennessee, Battle of Nashville, Tennessee, which was fought December 1 and 16, 1864; Mobile, Alabama, Spanish Fort, which was taken April 8, 1865, and Fort Blakely. Mr. Chase traveled while in the service 9,960 miles, and in the fall of 1863 he was detailed as a scout under Worden. He never was wounded, except an occasional chance hit by a spent minnie ball, and never fell into the hands of the enemy. He took an active part in the affairs of his regiment, and was promoted to the rank of corporal at Vicksburg for meritorious service. He was mustered out of the service at Springfield, Illinois, August 17, 1865, and the hard service which Mr. Chase saw during the war did not seem to have a bad effect on him, as at the time of the charge at Vicksburg he only weighed ninety pounds, while at the present time he tips the scales at one hundred and ninety-seven pounds.

      After the close of hostilities he returned to his home, and in the spring of 1866 he went to northern Michigan, where he secured a position on the Northwestern R. R. He also worked for a time in the company store at Escanaba. He then returned to



Illinois, and worked on the farm there, and on December 21, 1868, he was united in marriage to Miss Helen Anna Hill. The bride was a native of McHenry county, and was born July 26, 1849. Her parents, Benjamin and Eliza (Miller) Hill, were both natives of New York state who settled in Illinois, and located in McHenry county, where they were married about 1844. They resided on the same farm until their deaths, the mother dying October 21, 1862, and the father September 1, 1863. Mr. and Mrs. Chase decided to go west, and they arrived at Omaha, Nebraska, February 9, 1869. They settled in Sarpy county on a rented farm, but later purchased a farm which comprised the east half of the southeast quarter of section 18, township 13, range 11, upon which they made their home for two years. In 1871 they located permanently in Polk county, Nebraska, on section 24, township 14, range 1 west. The land was all wild and unbroken, and at this time there were plenty of coyotes and antelopes. They made their home in a sod house for five years and then built their present residence. Mr. Chase had filed on his land in March previous to their arrival in the county, had the breaking done, and raised a crop on fourteen acres. He has one hundred and sixty acres of homestead land, all of which is under cultivation except sixty-two acres. He has made all the improvements himself and now has one of the most desirable pieces of property in the vicinity. Mrs. Chase has one hundred and sixty acres of fine land, all of which is under cultivation, and is given over exclusively to general farming.

      Mr. and Mrs. Chase are the parents of five children of whom we give the following record:--Eliza Henrietta, the wife of Lloyd Jackson Ellyson, a son of a confederate soldier, who lives in Oklahoma; they have one child, upon whom they have bestowed the name of Walter; Emma Louisa, the wife of William Clyde Hayhurst, residents of the county; Glenn Willard; Helen Anna; and Maud Estella. Mrs. Chase is a member of McPherson Circle, No. 23, Ladies of the G. A. R. She is the past president of the same and is the present incumbent in the office of treasurer. She is also a member of council of administration of the state, and her daughter, Miss Helen A. Chase, is secretary of the local circle, while another of her children, now Mrs. Hayhurst, also acted in the same capacity. Mr. Chase is a member of the R. O. D. Cummings Post, No. 102, G. A. R. at Shelby, Nebraska, of which order he has held all of the offices except that of chaplain, and has been a faithful worker in the interests of the same. He is at present a member of the staff of National Commander J. P. S. Gobin, with the rank of colonel, to which position he was appointed on December 29, 1897. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Woodstock Chapter, R. A. M., at Woodstock, Illinois, and Blue Lodge at Shelby, Nebraska. He has taken a prominent and active part in, the political affairs of the county, in the support of the doctrines of the Republican party, and is also a power among the state politicians. He has also taken an active interest in the educational facilities of the county, and has served as school director. He is a man of the very best character, thorough and systematic as a farmer, pleasant to meet, and is possessed of an energetic and comprehensive intellect. He has an excellent farm, and is deservedly held in high esteem by all. 

Letter/label or barOHN EBERLY.--When after years of long and earnest labor in some honorable business, a man puts aside all cares to spend his remaining years in the enjoyment of the fruits of his former toil, it is certainly a well deserved reward of his industry.


Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller