NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



years each he was the efficient and popular county clerk, and is now one of the leading real estate dealers of York.

      Mr. Sovereign was born in Warren county, Illinois, July 10, 1842, and is a son of Solomon and Mary J. (Smith) Sovereign, the former a native of New Jersey, the latter of Canada. As early as 1836 the father emigrated to Illinois, becoming one of the pioneer settlers of Warren county, where he engaged in farming for many years. Finally he removed to California, where he passed away in 1896, at the age of ninety-six years.

      After attending the public schools of his native state for some time, Milton Sovereign entered the Northwestern University at Evanston, Illinois, where he was pursuing his education when the war came on. In 1861 he joined the boys in blue as a member of Company A, Thirty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was in active service for three years, participating in the battle of Winchester, Virginia, the second battle of Charleston, South Carolina, the engagement at Fort Darling, the siege of Petersburg and many skirmishes. For two years after his discharge from the service, he engaged in farming in Illinois, then removed to Polk county, Iowa, where the following three years were passed, and in 1871 came to York county, Nebraska, taking up land in Thayer township, where he resided for four years. He continued to engage in agricultural pursuits in York county until 188 1, when he was elected county clerk and removed to the city of York to assume the duties of that office, which he discharged with the utmost fidelity and promptness. So satisfactory did his services prove that he was three times re-elected, serving in all four terms. He is now conducting a large real estate and loan business, and is regarded as one of the most valued and useful citizens of York, taking an active and commendable interest in all public affairs calculated to prove of general good to the community. He has served both as a member of the board of education and city council for two years, being the present incumbent in that latter office. Socially he is identified with the Grand Army of the Republic and the Ancient Order of United Workmen.

      October 10, 1866, Mr. Sovereign was united in marriage with Miss Nancy M. Smiley, a resident of Illinois, and they have become the parents of six children, four sons and two daughters. 

Letter/label or barON. WILLIAM McFADDEN, the well-known merchant and postmaster of McCool Junction, Nebraska, is not yet an old man, but a vast amount of experience and observation has been crowded into the half-century that has been allotted to him. He is a business man of unquestioned honesty and integrity, and possesses traits of character that have lifted him into a well deserved prominence.

      Mr. McFadden was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, November 11, 1843, and is a child of Charles and Eliza (Long) McFadden. His father was a mechanic and a gunsmith. He died in Pennsylvania in 1850, but his wife, the mother of the subject of this sketch, died in Livingston county, Illinois, in the spring of 1895, at the home of her son. She was the mother of eleven children, William being the ninth in order of birth. He enlisted in July, 1861, in Company C, Forty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was mustered in at Winona, and sent to Camp Douglass for drilling. He first saw active service in Missouri, and took part in the battle of Pea Ridge, Missouri. He was in that state about ten months and passed the winter in Rolla. He was with the soldiers that were concentrated at Louisville to oppose an expected advance of the rebels. He spent some months about Nashville and was in



that neighborhood until the spring of 1863. He took part in the celebrated campaign around Atlanta. He participated in the battles of Stone River, Buzzard's Roost, Cumberland Gap, Peach Tree Creek, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mountain, Jonesborough and the capture of Atlanta. He was discharged September 1, 1864, having served three years and three months. He was taken prisoner at Stone River, but through good luck was very soon recaptured. He had four brothers in the war. John was in the Fifteenth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry. Fernando was in the One Hundred and Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and George and Joseph in the Twentieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Joseph was wounded during his three months' service at the battle of Shiloh, and received his discharge. The other three brothers completed their term of enlistment.

      After the war was over William returned home and farmed until the winter of 1869, when he came to this county and secured a quarter section of land which eventually became his under the homestead claim allowed old soldiers. He built a log cabin and then went back to his Illinois home, and drove to this county across the intervening country the following spring. Here he continued to live, and as the years went by he developed a fine farm. He bought more land in time and now owns a highly improved farm of three hundred and twenty acres. As he was among the first settlers in the township and county he was closely identified with the various organizations that have promoted business and settlement. The township in which he lives bears his name. He has taken an active part in politics as a Republican worker. In the fall of 1894 he served one term in the state legislature. He was the father of several bills that excited considerable discussion, and was a member of the committees on school and finance. In June, 1896, he moved to McCool junction, and engaged in mercantile enterprises. He runs a department store, and enjoys an extended patronage. The same spring he received the appointment of postmaster. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen. He was married May 27, 1871, to Miss Mary J. Custer, a native of Fountain county, Indiana, and a daughter of Isaac and Rhoda J. Custer, Kentucky born and bred. Her father died in Indiana, and her mother in this county. Mr. and Mrs. McFadden are the parents of five children: Arthur R., George W., Anna E., Aletha and Chester. She is a member of the Baptist church.

      Fernando McFadden was one of the first settlers of York county, filing a homestead claim to the southwest quarter of section 8, township 9, range 2, in the spring of 1866. He spent some twenty-five years in its occupancy and tillage, when he sold it and moved to Wyoming, where he is now living. He was well known as a very successful farmer in this county. He was married in Illinois to Miss Eliza Stanton, who died about three years after their coming to this county. He was later married to Miss Hattie Romine, and so them six children were born; Raymond, Walter, Elizabeth, Charles, Henry and James. 

Letter/label or barLARENCE C. CALHOUN, an energetic and wide-awake farmer residing on section 21, township 13, range 3, Polk county, is a native of St. Joseph county, Michigan, born March 18, 1852, and is a son of Alvin and Lois J. (Bean) Calhoun. The birth of his father occurred in Pittsford, Monroe county, New York, September 17, 1802, but in 1806 he was taken by his father to Monroe, Michigan. At the surrender of Hull, the grandfather, with his family, was compelled to flee from his home to avoid the Indians, and bareheaded and without shoes, made his way to



Ohio, where they lived for five years, and then returned to Monroe. In 1829 our subject's father went to St. Joseph county, Michigan, and in the midst of the timber developed and improved a good farm. He served as captain of a company during one of the Indian wars, and was a consistent member of the Methodist church, to which the mother also belongs. He was twice married, his first wife being Eliza L. Hunt, by whom he had three children, Mrs. Cynthia Milligan, now a resident of Ord, Nebraska; Mrs. Eliza Gray, of Kansas; and Charles W., of Oklahoma. One son, Martin L., entered the service of his country in the Civil war as private, and was mustered out with the rank of captain. For his second wife Alvin Calhoun married Lois J. Bean, who was born in Chesterfield, Kennebec county, Maine, March 24, 1820, and eight children graced this union, all of whom reached years of maturity. They are Marcellus P., a resident of Ord, Nebraska; Artellus P., of Polk county; Emma I., of Broken Bow, Nebraska; C. C., of this sketch; Bingham S., of York county, Nebraska; Loea V., of Creston, Iowa; and Lawrence and Florence, both of St. Joe county, Michigan. The father died January 25, 1888, but the mother is still living and yet makes her home in St. Joseph county, Michigan.

      In the county of his nativity, the subject of this sketch grew to manhood and acquired his education in the district schools there. At the age of twenty-four he began life for himself, and in 1877 went to the Black Hills, Dakota, but the following spring went to Polk county, Nebraska, and located upon his present farm, which at that time was all raw land. In 1879 he constructed a sod house upon the place and at once began the improvement and cultivation of his land, but subsequently he rented the place for a few years. He is now successfully operating it, however, and the one-hundred-and-sixty-acre tract is under a high state of cultivation and well improved with good buildings, which stand as monuments to his thrift and enterprise. He raises both stock and grain of good grades and is meeting with good success at his chosen calling.

      On the 27th of February, 1884, Mr. Calhoun was united in marriage with Miss Tillie Hahn, who was born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, September 22, 1862, and in 1873 came with her parents, Ezeriah and Lorena (Ripple) Hahn, to Pleasant Home precinct, Polk county, Nebraska, where they still reside. Here Mrs. Calhoun was educated in the district schools, and by her marriage she has become the mother of two children: Glenn F. and Clarence L. She is an active and prominent member of the United Brethren church and Sunday school, and has served as secretary of the latter. Socially Mr. Calhoun is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Stomsburg (sic), and politically was formerly a Republican, but is now an ardent Populist. He takes quite an active and leading part in local political affairs, has been a member of the election board, and also a committeeman. 

Letter/label or barELSON M. FERGUSON. --Prominent among the pioneers of York county, Nebraska, is the gentleman whose name introduces this article. As a public-spirited and enterprising citizen he has borne an important part in the development and prosperity of this region, never withholding his aid from any object which he believed would prove of public benefit. He has filled with distinction a number of official positions of honor and trust in the county.

      A native of the Empire state, Mr. Ferguson's birth occurred in Rochester, New York, March 18, 1840, his parents being John M. and Elvira (Crandall) Ferguson.



The father, who was a butcher by trade, continued to follow that occupation in New York until 1857, when he removed to Stephenson county, Illinois, but was not long permitted to enjoy his new home, however, for he died in February, 1857.

      The education of our subject was all acquired in the schools of New York, for after coming west with his parents he assisted his father in business and also engaged in farming in Illinois. He was among the first to respond to his country's call for aid after Fort Sumter had been fired upon, enlisting in April, 1861, in Company G, Fifteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and being mustered in the following month. The regiment, which was assigned to the Army of the West, went to the front in August, of the same year, but after serving for a short time Mr. Ferguson received a sunstroke, and was honorably discharged for disability in January, 1862. In 1864, he again enlisted, however, this time becoming a member of Company E, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until February, 1866. From the time of the close of the war until he was mustered out he was on detached service and assisted in the reconstruction of the south, being on duty in Americus and Savannah, Georgia.

      Returning to his Illinois home, Mr. Ferguson was married February 22, 1866, to Miss Elizabeth French, a native of that state, by whom he has two children: Herbert I. and Winifred E. After his marriage he engaged in farming in Illinois until 1871, when he came to York county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead in Bradshaw township, which he owned and operated for many years. He erected one of the first frame houses in the county and took a very active part in the early development and progress of this section of the state.

      In 1882 Mr. Ferguson abandoned farming and moved to the village of Bradshaw, where he served as postmaster until 1885. In that year he was honored by the election to the office of county treasurer, which he creditably filled for four years, and he has also served as justice of the peace and in other minor offices. He is one of the leaders of the Republican party in York county, and is a prominent member of the Masonic lodge and the Grand Army post, of York, having served as commander and quartermaster in the latter. He is now interested in the abstract, loan and insurance business and in this undertaking is meeting with a well merited success. His public and private life are above reproach, for his career has ever been one characterized by the utmost fidelity to duty. The part which he has taken in the development of the county has impressed his name indelibly upon its records and he well deserves mention among the honored pioneers. 

Letter/label or barAYETTE HOOKSTRA, a properous farmer of Bone Creek township, Butler county, and a representative citizen, respected alike for his industry and integrity, maybe properly placed in the list of self-made men who have done so much toward developing the resources of this section of the state. He was born March 20, 1830, near Lewayden, Holland, in which country his parents, Henry and Catherine (Lerwerda) Hookstra, spent their entire lives.

      Hearing a favorable account of this western country where land could be obtained free, our subject and his brother Tennis decided to emigrate, and in 1855 sailed for the new world. Mr. Hookstra first settied in Marion county, Iowa, where he engaged in farming, having previously followed that occupation in his native land. There he was married, in October, i856, to Miss Margaret Vierson, also a native of Holland, and a daughter of Peter O. Vierson. The children born of this union are as



follows: Peter, who married America Washington Farrell, daughter of Charles W. and Eliza A. Farrell, and has five children--Jessie E., George A., Charles G., Floyd E. and Opal P.; Henry, who married Annie Wallace and has two children--Merle and Roscoe; Annie, wife of W. A. Hutchinson; John, who married Sarah Bowden; Fred; and Alfred, who married Mabel Loomis and has one daughter--Margueriet. Mrs. Hookstra died in Butler county, May 16, 1895, and was laid to rest in the Edholm cemetery.

      It was in the fall of 1866 that Mr. Hookstra became a resident of Butler county, and secured a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in Bone Creek township, on which he still makes his home. He came overland in a wagon drawn by two horses, bringing one cow with him, and upon his claim he constructed a shanty of poles and dirt. During the year 1869 he engaged in freighting from Nebraska City to Kearney, buying corn in the former place for one dollar per bushel and selling it in the latter for three dollars. He took an active part in the early development of this region, and voted at the first election held in Butler county, it being conducted in the Hartford school house. Mr. Hookstra is a Democrat in politics and an earnest and strong advocate of the principles of that party. Religiously he is a sincere member of the Christian Church, and lives in harmony with its teachings. 

Letter/label or barENNIS HOOKSTRA, an old settler of Butler county, was born in Friesland, Holland, November 13, 1822. In 1850, Mr. Hookstra with his wife and brother came to America, and settled in Pella, Iowa, where his wife died. After her death, Mr. Hookstra sent back to Friesland for an old sweetheart, Allie Van Dyke, and married her in Pella, June 28, 1856. By her he had three children, Henry, John and Kate, all of whom are married and now living in Butler county.

      In 1862 Mr. Hookstra enlisted in Company H, Fortieth Iowa Volunteers, and served three years, leaving behind his wife and three children. In 1865 he returned from the war and went to Nebraska, to the Platte Valley, where he purchased one hundred and ten acres of land from Obel Fearson. He established his family in a log house which he found standing on the bank of the river, and operated a ferry across the river. This was known as the "Shinn Ferry" and he continued running it for two seasons. His first crop on the new land brought fifty bushels of corn to the acre, and this he sold in Columbus for one dollar per bushel. His resources, after paying for the land, before this crop, consisted of one team of horses, a wagon, and ten dollars in money.

      Mr. Hookstra is a member of the Savannah M. E. church, of which he was one of the founders, and of which he has been a constant supporter. 

Letter/label or barOHN ROBERTS, deceased, was numbered among the honored pioneers of Nebraska, who located in Seward county when this locality was a wild and unimproved region. In the work of development he took an active and prominent part and aided in opening up the country to civilization. As the years passed by he faithfully performed his duties of citizenship and his interest in the welfare and progress of the community never abated. Becoming widely and favorably known he made many friends, and his death was a loss to the entire community.

      Mr. Roberts was born in Henry county, Kentucky, November 29, 1813, a son of John and Catherine (Lovinggood) Roberts, farming people, who were natives of Vir-



ginia and of German descent. Our subject's grandmother bore the maiden name of Ann Plank. The family were among the first settlers of Kentucky, and there the parents of our subject continued to make their home until 1835, when they removed to Fulton county, Illinois, where the father died at the age of eighty-one years, the mother at the age of seventy-two, honored and respected by all who knew them. In their family were nine children, four sons and five daughters.

      In his native state John Roberts spent his boyhood and youth, acquiring his literary education in its common schools. In 1835 he accompanied his parents on their removal to Fulton county, Ill., where he engaged in farming for some years, but in 1866 he came to Seward county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead, a part of which is now within the corporate limits of the city of Seward. He assisted in the erection of the first building in that place, and also platted and sold what is now known as Roberts' addition to Seward. He took a leading and active part in its upbuilding and prosperity, and owned many of its best business blocks. He was also one of the promoters of the Oatmeal Mills, the German Lutheran College and many other enterprises which tended to advance the interests of the city.

      In 1836 Mr. Roberts was united in marriage with Miss Susan Hall, a native of Franklin county, Illinois, and a daughter of John and Prudence (McFarland) Hall, who were born in Georgia and also died in Illinois. Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Roberts, namely: Lucy J.; John N.; Mary, deceased; Susan; Jasper, deceased; Prudence; James F.; Marion F.; Laura I. and Douglas H.

      Mr. Roberts departed this life December 2, 1897, and in his death the community felt that it had lost one of its most valued and useful citizens. Politically he was a supporter of the Democratic party, and he was honored with a number of local offices in his city. As a business man he was honorable and reliable, and due success was not denied him. Religiously he was for many years an active and prominent member of the Hardshell Baptist church, in which he served as an exhorter both in Illinois and Nebraska, and in 1843 he was ordained to the ministry, after which he engaged in preaching to some extent, and was always an untiring worker in the Master's vineyard. He succeeded in accumulating a handsome property, and left to his family about six hundred acres of farm land besides city property. The family is one of prominnence, occupying an enviable position in social circles. 

Letter/label or barON. MATT MILLER, an attorney and old settler of David City, Nebraska, is a Scotchman by birth, and first saw the light of day in Glasgow, Scotland, February 9, 1850. His father was a shoemaker by trade and at the time of the boy's birth was in the wholesale shoe business. He came to America with his wife and children when the boy Matt was a baby and settled in Portage City, Columbia county, Wisconsin, where he opened a retail shoe store; he soon died, however, and the son was placed in the hands of a guardian and taken to Caledonia, where he remained for some time. He attended the schools there until he was thirteen years old, when he enlisted in Company F, Forty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteers, as a drummer boy and served as a private until the close of the war. During this time he spent about ten months in New Mexico and Colorado in the same company and regiment, serving nearly three years. He was the youngest soldier in the regiment and is supposed to have been the youngest in the entire army. During most of that time he carried a musket, but was orderly for a while, being mustered out as such.



Picture button




      After receiving his discharge from the army he returned to Portage City and attended the high school in that place, from which he graduated July 18, 1867. After leaving school he taught school in Columbia county, Wisconsin, until 1870, after which h removed to Butler county, Nebraska, and engaged in farming. He continued this until 1878.

      In 1873 he married Miss Sarah C. Whipes, a native of Perry county, Ohio, where she was brought up, and they had one daughter, Maggie M.

      In 1878 he commenced the study of law and was admitted to the bar in 1880, at which time he went to David City and began to practice. In 1884 he was elected to the legislature by the Democratic party and served his people so well that he was reelected in 1887.

      In 1891 he was appointed district judge by Governor Boyd and held this position until the next general election. He was nominated by the Bar for judge but was beaten by the Populists. Since that time he has been engaged in the general practice of law. Judge Miller is a thoroughly wide-awake man and takes an active interest in all matters pertaining to his city and county. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W., and the Woodmen of the World. On another page is presented a portrait of Judge Miller. 

Letter/label or barOL. NELS P. LUNDEEN, who has attained distinctive preferment in military circles, and is one of the enterprising and representative business men of York, has taken an actice (sic) part in promoting the substantial improvement and material development of the city. An adopted son of America, his loyalty is above question and his labors in the interests of the city have been most effective and beneficial.

      The Colonel was born in the province of Skone, Sweden, April 22, 1850, a son of Peter and Martha (Benson) Lundeen. farming people of that country, where they still reside, the father being eighty-one, the mother seventy-eight years of age. During his boyhood and youth Colonel Lundeen pursued his education the in schools of his native land, where he remained until he attained his majority, coming to the United States in 1870. He first located in Galesburg, Illinois, but the following spring went to Burlington, Iowa, where he made his home until 1878.

      In that year he came to York county, Nebraska, as land agent for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and it has been mainly through his efforts that the county has gained its large Swedish population. A thrifty, industrious and reliable race, they make valuable citizens. During his entire residence in the new world Colonel Lundeen has been interested in the real estate business, and is now a member of the well-known firm of Daggy & Lundeen, of York, and has sold nearly all the lots sold in that city platted by the Platte Land Company, which he still represents. In connection with this business he has also been interested in general merchandising and the manufacture of brick, and is accounted one of the most progressive, reliable and enterprising business men of the place.

      Colonel Lundeen has been twice married, first in 1874, to Miss Anna Broman, by whom he had five children. In 1888 he was united in marriage with Miss Ellis Nelson, of Fillmore county, Nebraska, also a native of Sweden, and to them have been born five children.

      Colonel Lundeen has always taken an active interest in military affairs, assisted in organizing the first company of militia in York, and is now on the governor's staff as inspector-general with the rank of colonel. His company was called out for service dur-



ing the riots at Omaha, and was ordered to the Pine Ridge agency during the Indian troubles in 1890. His fellow citizens recognizing his worth and ability have called upon him to fill a number of official positions of honor and trust, including that of alderman of the city, to which office he was twice elected. In 1889 he was also elected county treasurer, the duties of which he most faithfully and satisfactorily discharged for two years. He is a prominent member of the Odd Fellows society, is lieutenant-colonel of the Patriarch Militant, and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Business Men's Fraternity of Nebraska, serving as secretary of the last named organization. His life record is one well worthy of emulation and contains many valuable lessons of incentive, showing the possibilities that are open to young men who wish to improve every opportunity for advancement. 

Letter/label or barOHN A. TARBLE, a retired farmer now living in Shelby, is one of the prominent and representative citizens as well as honored pioneers of Polk county. Through his own unaided efforts he has secured a comfortable competence, which now enables him to lay aside all business cares and enjoy a well earned rest. He was born July 30, 1828, in the town of Marathon, Cortland county, New York, where his parents, James G. and Maria (Hartson) Tarble, made their home for many years, dying in that county. The mother was a native of Connecticut, and the father, who was a son of Eleaser Tarble, was a farmer and river pilot by occupation. In their family were eight children: Mrs. Almira Vanderbilt, now deceased; Mrs. Lydia Taylor; William, deceased; John A., of this review; and Andrew; Mrs. Sallie Ann Robinson; Mrs. Caroline Seeley, deceased, and Maria McDole.

      To a limited extent John A. Tarble attended the common schools of Cortland county, New York, but he had very little opportunity of securing an education. After starting out in life for himself, he rented the old homestead and, in connection with farming, also engaged in teaming, hauling the last ties for the completion of the Syracuse & Binghampton railroad. In 1854 he emigrated to Knox county, Illinois, where he purchased eighty acres of raw prairie land for twenty dollars per acre, and to its improvement and cultivation devoted his time and attention until after the Civil war broke out, when his love of country would not allow him to remain contentedly at home,

      In August, 1862, Mr. Tarble enlisted as a private in Company G, One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and from Peoria, Illinois, went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and later to Covington, Kentucky. He took part in the engagements of Resaca and Pumpkin Vine, the siege of Atlanta and the operations against Hood. At the battle of Franklin he captured a prisoner named McMillan, belonging to the Fourth Missouri Regiment. Mr. Tarble took part in the battle of Nashville, being in the skirmish line, was later sent to Columbia, Tennessee, then back to Nashville, where he remained until the close of the war. He had been detached from his regiment to serve as a nurse in the hospitals, and as such had to go to Washington, District of Columbia, but was later transferred to Springfield, Illinois. Although he saw three years of arduous service, he was fortunately never wounded nor captured, and when the war was over was honorably, discharged in July, 1865, returning to his home in Knox county, Illinois.

     Mr. Tarble was married February 13, 1866, to Mrs. Matilda Tarble, née Caul, who was born in Winsted, Connecticut, February 23, 1824, and for her first husband married Ferdinand Tarble, a cousin of our subject. Coming to Polk county, Nebraska, in 1872,

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller