NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



"How blest is he who crowns in shades like these
A youth of labor with an age of ease."

wrote the poet, and the world everywhere recognizes the justice of a season of rest following an active period of business life. Mr. Eberly is now living retired at his pleasant home in Octavia, and his history is one that shows the accomplishment of well-directed labor.

      He was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, December 15, 1822, a son of Jacob and Anna (Smith) Eberly. The family was founded in that county more than four generations ago. At the age of ten years our subject removed with his parents to Lebanon county, the same state, and there grew to manhood, but in 1843 he returned to Lancaster county, where he married Miss Cassie Rutt, daughter of Jacob Rutt, of that county. They began their domestic life in Lebanon county, where they continued to reside until 1866, when they moved to Whiteside county, Illinois, locating three miles from Sterling. To them were born five children: Clara, now deceased; Elmira, Levanus, Freeman, deceased; and Alice.

      The first Pennsylvania family to settle in Butler county, Nebraska, was that of Dr. Shirk, and in 1875 John Keller also located here. From these gentleman Mr. Eberly obtained a favorable account of this region, and he and his son Levanus came to Butler county on a prospecting tour, afterward purchasing land here. Our subject has now 925 acres of valuable and highly productive land, most of which he purchased for $6.50 to $10.00 per acre, and it is among the finest property in the Platte valley. On first coming to the county in 1882, he located on section 17, Bone Creek township, and to the cultivation and improvement of his land devoted his energies for some time, but is now living retired in the village of Octavia. His son Levanus is one of the prominent farmers of the county, and he also has one brother, Elias Eberly, and one sister, Mrs. A. Burkey, living in Savannah township.

      Mr. Eberly and his family are prominent members of the Dunkard church, and he has contributed largely of his means to all church and benevolent work. His earnest, consistent Christian life has won for him the respect of all who know him, As a friend he is an ardent and constant one, and a friendship once formed can only be broken by the basest ingratitude or treachery on the part of one in whom he has reposed confidence. 

Letter/label or barON. JOHN B. CONAWAY, M. D. Among the prominent men now living in York, Nebraska, who have won an honorable name as a citizen of that thriving town, none are better deserving of representation in a volume of this nature than Hon. John B. Conaway. He is possessed of an excellent education, and is a successful physician and surgeon, of thirty years' experience. He has also interested himself in matters pertaining to the state and has attained a conspicuous position among the leading Republicans of Nebraska, respected alike by every one regardless of party affiliations.

      Our subject was born on a farm near Laceysville, Harrison county, Ohio, September 17, 1840. His parents, Aaron and Dorcas (Busby) Conaway, were both natives of Harrison county, Ohio. By occupation the father was a farmer and also practiced law to some extent, and for fifty-two years was a justice of the peace. He died in Harrison county, Ohio, in 1896, at the age of nearly ninety years, but the mother is still living. They reared a family of fourteen children, eight sons and six daughters.

      The early life of Dr. Conaway was passed upon the old homestead of his father. His preliminary education was obtained in the district schools of the neighborhood, which in those days consisted of very limited ad-



vantages in the way of instruction. As a young man, he was a fine specimen of manhood, having a physique which suggested the athlete that he was. When the war came on the enthusiastic and loyal sentiments of a vigorous youth found full sway as a member of Company C, Fifth Independent Battalion, Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. He veteranized later and helped to recruit the Thirteenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, becoming second and later being promoted to first lieutenant of Company F, of that regiment. From the date of his enlistment until the close of hostilities Dr. Conaway was continually in active service and distinguished himself for bravery and great endurance. His promotions were for meritorious services from the battle of the Wilderness to Appomattox and Jetersville, Virginia, being breveted captain of his company when he was mustered out at the close of the war, in 1865, at Washington, District of Columbia. He served under Generals Sheridan, Gregg and Custer, and participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Old and New Cold Harbor, Deep Bottom, Bowling Green, White House Landing, Yellow Tavern, in the trenches before Petersburg from July 1, 1864, to April 27, 1865, including the battles of Petersburg or the Mine Explosion of July 30, 1864, followed by the Welden Railroad, Hatcher's Run, Pegram's Farm, South Side Railroad, Fort Steadman, Five Forks, Virginia, and all battles in which his regiment took part, from the last-named engagement up to and including those of Farmville, Appomattox and Jetersville; was three times wounded, first at the Mine Explosion, July 30, 1864, and receiving his second wound three days later. His third wound was received while the enemy was in ambush at Black Bayou, Virginia, February 6, 1865. The record achieved during the war by Dr. Conaway -- or Captain Conaway, as for years he was popularly known by his comrades and friends -- is a most creditable one, a courageous and honorable career which he can look backward upon with no small degree of pardonable pride.

      After the Rebellion he returned to his home in Ohio, broken down in health and a mere shadow of his former self. Hard physical labor being out of the question, he recognized the necessity of more than a district-school education. After recuperating and calling into activity all of his unspent vital forces, he took a thorough course in Hopedale College, an institution which conferred upon him the honorary degree of A. M. ten years later. After completing his literary studies in 1867 he removed to Iowa, where he engaged in school-teaching for three terms, in the meantime devoting his spare time and vacations to the study of medicine. He afterward entered the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, and graduated from that institution May 22, 1869. He began the practice of his profession at Leesville, Carroll county, Ohio, and at the end of one year removed to Smithville, Jefferson county, that state. At the latter place he conducted a successful general practice until 1887. He then pursued a course of lectures in Rush Medical College, Chicago, graduating the same year, following which he took general instruction in the practice of surgery in the hospital and elsewhere under the special direction of Professor Chas. S. Parks, for a period of six months.

      In 1888 Dr. Conway came to Nebraska, and located at York, where he at once took his proper place in the front ranks of his profession. During the years that have intervened he has firmly established himself as a physician and surgeon of ability, and as such enjoys an extensive practice. He is a member of the York County Medical Society and also the State Medical Society and is a member of the pension board. Socially, he affiliates with the Masonic



fraternity, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Grand Army of the Republic.

      As a citizen Dr. Conaway is highly respected, and he measures his friends by his extensive acquaintanceship. Always a man of great activity, he has been a conspicuous figure in public as well as in private life. While not a politician in the literal and partisan sense that the term is generally used, he has been an ardent and active Republican and has been called upon by his fellow citizens to fill positions of honor and trust. In the fall of 1894 he was elected to the lower house of the state legislature, where he served with credit as chairman of the committees of engrossed and enrolled bills and the relief committee of the House, besides being a member of several other important committees. While chairman of the relief committee over $880,000 was raised for the purchase of provisions, clothing, food, etc., which was distributed among the people of the state residing in the drouth-stricken districts, relieving want, distress, and in many instances utter starvation. As the resolution for the formation of a relief committee was originated and introduced by Dr. Conaway, it being one of the first pieces of legislation to be considered by the house during that session, and as much of the successful work of the committee was due to the untiring efforts of the Doctor, it is no wonder that the record he made shines as a particularly bright star in his legislative career. In recognition of his labors in this respect, a resolution was unanimously adopted and made a part of the House record setting forth in words of praise, the appreciation of the people of the state, together with the thanks of the House for the able and efficient services rendered by Dr. Conaway as chairman of the relief committee. It was an unusual occurrence and therefore the Doctor appreciates it all the more. Following his able career as a representative, in the fall of 1896 he was tendered the nomination of state senator by acclamation by the Republicans of York and Fillmore counties, and is still representing those counties in the state senate. In speaking of him, a writer has said: "He enjoys the reputation of being a true and honorable Republican, is a popular man and is worthy of every compliment paid to him. He is now in the prime of life, is a gentleman pleasing in appearance, a fluent speaker and a ready reasoner. He is a man of marked ability and uses that ability for one people, one country and one flag.

      Dr. Conaway was married in 1868 to Miss Matilda Picken, a resident of Mahaska county, Iowa. Two daughters of affectionate dispositions and many accomplishments complete a most happy family circle. They are Jessie F. and Cora F., both of whom are graduates of the York high school, Miss Jessie being also a graduate of Brownell Hall, Omaha. They are both attending the Northwestern University, at Evanston, Illinois, and will complete their education at that institution in the class of '99. The family is domiciled in one of the handsome residences for which York is famous and the home is the center of true hospitality and refinement. The Doctor and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of York. 

Letter/label or barON. GEORGE W. LOWLEY has for many years stood very close to the head of the Seward county Bar, if indeed there is any to precede him. He came to this country at an early day, and knows by his experience what pioneering means. He has grown up with the country, and relates many touching episodes of early days. He has loved his profession, and made it the source of justice and right among men. The law in his hands has been something of far greater importance than merely per-



sonal profit. He has sought to serve the right through its potency, and the people have been quick to appreciate the spirit of his endeavor. He has been a popular citizen and an honored and respected member of the community.

      Judge Lowley was born in Leeds, England, March 8, 1842, and came of an old English family. His. father, Stephen Lowley, was a tailor by trade, and came to this country in 1846. He located at Pittsburg, and died in 1894, at Tipton, Indiana, full of years and honor. His children had such opportunities of education as the times presented and his own circumstances permitted. George was sent to the public schools, and profited very well indeed by their instruction. When his school days were supposed to be completed, he learned the printing trade, and applied himself to the reading of law. He was engaged in this manner when the Civil war broke out. He laid down his "composing stick," and went immediately to Indianapolis, and enlisted in Company F, Eleventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He served until the fall of 1862, when he was mustered out of the service on account of the ill effects of what was supposed to be a mortal wound, which he received at Fort Donelson. He left the army with the rank of corporal, and had he been able to continue with the regiment might have risen to a more important grade. On returning to Tipton, Indiana, he began the study of law in earnest and was admitted to the bar in 1863 in that city, and there he practiced law until 1870. In that year he made his first appearance in this state, coming to Lincoln, and spending nearly a year in that city. In 1871 he came to Seward, and opened an office for professional business, which has never been closed to this day. Here he has had a large success and has won many friends.

      Mr. Lowley was married in 1866 to Miss Maggie W. Long, a native of Indiana. They have reared an interesting family of seven children: Joseph S., May, Stephen, John L., Millie, Earl S. (now a member of the Third United States Volunteer Infantry), and George W. His first wife died in 1889, and three years later he was married to Miss Jennie McMullen. He is a Republican, and his ability and public spirit have been recognized repeatedly by his party. He was elected county judge in the fall of 1882, and served in that capacity for six years. In 1892 he was elected to the state senate, and at different times has been called to fill minor positions. He has been chairman of the county committee and has served on the state central committee, and in every campaign his voice has been heard and his influence felt on the side of the central principles of Republicanism. Personally, he commands the esteem of the community, and enjoys a steady and growing business. 

Letter/label or barACOB WEIS--Everywhere in our land are found men who have worked their way upward from humble and lowly beginnings to places of leadership in the business world and in public life, men who have conquered a seemingly adverse fate, have triumphed over obstacles, have overcome difficulties, and by force of character, determined purpose and honor in the affairs of life won success and the esteem of their fellowmen. Of this class Mr. Weis is a worthy example. He is now serving as county treasurer of Fillmore county and resides in Geneva.

      Mr. Weis was born in Luxemberg, Germany, near the river Rhine, August 11, 1856, and is a son of Peter and Catharine (Smith) Weis, also natives of that place. The father was a prosperous and enterprising farmer in his native land. In 1867 he brought his family to America, locating in Lasalle county, Illinois, where he carried on agricultural pursuits until March, 1871, when he came to Fillmore county, Nebraska. Here he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Momence township, being among the first settlers. A dugout was made in the side of the hill and there the family lived for two years, when a substantial frame house was erected. In the meantime our subject and his two brothers began working on the railroad, for money was scarce and business positions were few, while many hardships and frontier experiences had to be endured by the family. In time, however, Peter Weis became a prosperous farmer and made his home on his original claim until his death, which occurred in the spring of 1892. His widow is now living with her daughter in Momence township.

      Jacob Weis was about fifteen years of age



when he came to Fillmore county with his parents. He attended school in Germany in his early youth, and after coming to this country went to Port Washington, Wisconsin, where he made his home with an uncle, while continuing his education there. After his arrival in Nebraska he worked on the railroad two years, assisting in the construction of the main line of the Burlington and Missouri River, also the branch from Crete to Beatrice, Nebraska. He also spent a year at Plattsmouth, Nebraska, working by the month, and through these means he secured enough money to start in business on his own account. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in Momence township and began farming. After a few years of hard work success crowned his efforts, and he is now the owner of a valuable farm of three hundred and twenty acres in Momence township under a high state of cultivation and furnished with substantial improvements. He has in addition eighty acres of land in Clay county and one hundred and sixty acres in the northern part of the state. He became one of the substantial and influential farmers of his township, owing to his progressive methods, practical ideas and vigorous industry which enabled him to work steadily onward and upward until he has attained a position among the well-to-do men of the county.

     Mr. Weis was married March 24, 1880, to Miss Clara Sampont, a native of Port Washington, Wisconsin, and a daughter of Jacob and Anna (Strauss) Sampont, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Weis now have six children, namely: Anna, Rosa, Agnes, Walter and Florence, twins, and Reno. In public affairs Mr. Weis exerts considerable influence and has been honored by a number of township offices. In the fall of 1897 he was nominated by the Democratic party for county treasurer and endorsed by the Populists and won the election by a majority of two hundred and fifty. He is now serving in that capacity in a most trustworthy and creditable way, showing that the confidence reposed in him was not misplaced. 

Letter/label or barON. MATTHEW HOWELL, whose home is on section 13, Hays township, York county, is one of the representative men of Nebraska. He is one of the early settlers of the county, having filed a homestead claim in February, 1872, to eighty acres in section 24. When he located there were few if any settlers to the west of him. He built a dug-out, and in three months constructed a log cabin, 11 x 13, with a dirt roof and floor. He broke about thirty-five acres the first season, and had fifteen in sod corn. He had a fair yield and he had ten acres in wheat on rented land, which brought him one hundred and ninety bushels. After proving up his claim he moved across the road in 1877 to section 13. Here he had bought railroad land, and on it he put up a frame house, 16x24, with a T-shaped addition, 12 x 18.



It was one of the most pretentious and commodious residences in the township at the time, and cost him about twelve hundred dollars. Here he has kept his home to the present time, and has made many substantial improvements, including a fine modern residence and ample and sufficient farm buildings. He has added to his farm until he owns seven hundred and twenty-two and a half acres in this county. He also owns a full section of land in Gosper county.

      Mr. Howell was born in Monmouthshire, England, March 18, 1849. His parents were Matthew and Jane (Watkins) Howell, who were English born and bred. They came to this country in 1860, and spent about six months in New York City. From there they journeyed to Clinton county, Ohio, where they engaged in farming, which they followed until 1868. In that year the family removed to Wapello county, Iowa, where they made a home on a rented farm and cultivated it for some years. He moved to Lucas county, where he died in 1870. His widow married again, and made her home in Nebraska, and died at Fairmont in 1891. The junior Matthew was about twelve years old when he reached this country under the parental care, and on account of poverty his previous educational advantages had been quite restricted. He worked out for his board, and attended school during the winter months. He went to Iowa, with his parents when he was of age. The two-thirds of ten acres of corn was the first money he earned himself, and from that time he has been greatly prospered in all his undertakings. He was married February 17, 1870, to Miss Rebecca Wrightesman, of Wapello county, Iowa. She is a daughter of David and Mary A. (Johnson) Wrightesman, both of whom died when she was about eleven years. They began life on a rented farm, but after dividing the crops even with the landlord for two seasons, concluded there was a better opportunity for them farther west. In the fulfillment of that judgment they settled in this county. That this judgment was correct in this as well as in many other things, is evident from the fact that coming to this county as a poor man in a short time he has risen to affluence, and is now rated among the most prosperous and successful business men of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Howell are the proud possessors of two children, Annie Z. and Nina L. In politics he is a stanch Republican, and was elected to the senate in 1882, and was reelected in 1884. During his first term he was the father of a bill which afterwards became a law, creating the office of county superintendent of schools, a proposition which had not been regarded with favor in previous sessions. During his legislative career he was a member of several important committees, and was chairman of the committee on public lands and buildings. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH E. MARQUIS, one of the most enterprising and progressive agriculturists of Polk county, his home being on section 10, township 13, range 2, Stromsburg precinct, is a native of Beaver county, Pennsylvania, born November 4, 1835, and is a son of William and Mary (Lowery) Marquis, also natives of the Keystone state; the former of Scotch, and the latter of Irish descent. About 1850 they removed to Hardin county, Ohio, where the mother died, but the father's death occurred in Iowa, in 1874. Their children were as follows: John and Smiley, both deceased; David, a soldier in the Civil war and now a resident of Colorado; Elizabeth Tennis, deceased; Hiram, also a soldier, now deceased; Joseph E.; William, deceased; Robert, deceased, who was a member of Company H, Sixty-sixth Illinois Western Sharpshooters; Samuel, also one of the brave boys in blue during the war; Mary Jane Hurd. The pa-



ternal grandfather of our subject, David Marquis, was a soldier of both the Revolutionary war and the war of 1812, and was wounded at the battle of Lundy's Lane. The family has always been a patriotic and loyal one, doing their duty in civil life as well as on the field of battle.

      The boyhood and youth of our subject were spent in Pennsylvania and Ohio, mostly in agricultural pursuits, but after starting out in life at the age of twenty-three, he engaged in clerking in a store for a time. He was married March 20, 1858, to Miss Phoebe Jane Stewart, a native of Highland county, Ohio, and a daughter of James Stewart, now a resident of Polk county, Nebraska. They became the parents of five children, three still living: William, who married Logarda VanDorn, and has one child, William J.; Myrtle, wife of Frank Hartman; and Charles E., who married Maude Callmore, and has three children, Viola, Joseph and Nona Irene. Mrs. Marquis was called to her final rest September 4, 1871.

      In 1859 our subject removed to Laporte, Macon county, Missouri, where he clerked in a store until his removal to Newton, Iowa, in 1862, being similarly employed at that place for a few years and later at carpenter and railroad work. While there he received a very severe sunstroke. During his residence in Missouri after the war broke out, he often found notices to leave posted on his gate, but he took no notice of these, and banded with the Union sympathizers, withstood the bushwhackers. He assisted in recruiting the Eleventh Missouri Home Guards, and also acted as a scout during those trying days. In the fall of 1872 he came to Polk county, Nebraska, where he has since made his home, and now owns and successfully operates a fine farm of two hundred and forty acres, all under cultivation with the exception of fifteen acres. He was the first man to introduce bee culture into the county, and for his first hive, purchased in 1878, he paid fourteen dollars. At the present time, in the spring of 1898, he has fifteen hives and is meeting with good success in this branch of his business. In 1876 on his farm was made the first test in killing young grasshoppers. He is one of the most progressive, energetic and reliable citizens of his community, takes a deep and commendable interest in public affairs, and gives his support to every worthy object for the public good. As a Populist he takes considerable interest in political matters, and has acceptably served as a member of the school board in his district.

      In 1874, Mr. Marquis was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Sarah A. (Timmons) Wilson, who was born in Ross county, Ohio, in 1845, a daughter of Thomas and Ann (Minchen) Timmons, the former a native of Ohio, the latter of Kings county, Ireland. The grandfather, Rev. Stephen Timmons, was chosen to select a place to locate a colony and from his home in Maryland rode on horse-back over Ohio, finally deciding on Chillicothe, where the colony was founded and where he reared his family. Upon a farm near there Mrs. Marquis grew to womanhood and married John Wilson, who was a sergeant of Company C, Seventy-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was in the service for three years and nine months. In 1868 he emigrated to Otoe county, Nebraska, and three years later come to Polk county, locating on the southwest quarter of section 10, township 13, range 2, when it was all wild land and there were few other settlers here. He and his wife first lived in a dugout and later in a log house. He died December 8, 1871, being accidentally shot while hunting, and was the first person buried in the Osceola cemetery. To Mr. and Mrs. Wilson were born three children: Allison T., who married Emma Burke; Elba T., who married Retta Collins; and Estella Blanche, who married



John Hartman and has one child, Edith Lyle. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Marquis are Frank Ray, John Ralph, Shasta Ethel, Jessie Edith, Joseph Glenn and Harry Stanton. 

Letter/label or barNDREW J. KNEPPER, a progressive and public-spirited citizen of Butler county, who owns and operates a fine farm on section 14, Bone Creek township, was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, in 1842, and is a worthy representative of a highly respected German family, which was founded in this county by a gentleman and his four sons. One of the latter was the grandfather of our subject. The father, Andrew Knepper, was also a native of the Keystone state, and in early life married Mary Ann Read.

      Our subject is one of the sons born to this worthy couple and was reared and educated in his native country, remaining there until he had attained his majority. He early became familiar with every department of farm work. From 1863 until 1869 he spent his time in Ohio and Indiana, and in October of the latter year removed to Marion county, Iowa, where he was married the following year to Miss Mary E. Jackson, who was born in Hardin county, Ohio, in 1850, but at the age of eight years accompanied her parents, George W.. and Catherine (Copeland) Jackson, on their removal to Indiana. Her paternal grandparents, Edward and Margaret (Philson) Jackson, were of Scotch-Irish descent, while her maternal grandparents, William and Mary (Wells) Copeland, came to this country from England, their home having been near London. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Knepper are Ida B., now the wife of J. C. Dundore, of Octavia, Nebraska; George A.; William A.; Cyrus E.; Harvey R.; Grover C.; Ruby R.; and Kittie May.

      The next spring after his marriage Mr. Knepper came to Butler county, arriving in March, 1871, and homesteaded eighty acres. He brought with him two hundred dollars, one-half of which he paid for a claim of eighty acres, and he erected thereon a frame house twelve by fourteen feet, in which the family lived for the first few years. They now have a fine, large residence, which is surrounded by good and substantial outbuildings and well-tilled fields, showing conclusively that the owner thoroughly understands his chosen calling, and is meeting with a well merited success.

      The Democratic party has always found in Mr. Knepper a stanch supporter, and he has been honored by his fellow citizens with several local offices, being a member of the county board for eight years, and also school director in his township. Fraternally he affiliates with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and religiously he and his wife are members of the Baptist church. A generous hospitality is shown in their comfortable home, and few members of the community have a wider circle of friends and acquaintances than Mr. and Mrs. Knepper. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM E. DAYTON, editor and proprietor of the York Republican, is one of the prominent representatives of the journalistic profession in this section of the state. He was born in Pennsylvania, in 1856, a son of William Dayton, a farmer of the Keytone (sic) state, who in 1871 came west and settled in York county, Nebraska where he still makes his home--an honored and respected citizen. Reared on a farm in his native state our subject obtained his education in the public schools of the neighborhood, and accompanied his parents on their emigration to the west. Subsequently he learned the printer's trade in Ashland, Nebraska, and then entered the Republican office at York, as a journeyman printer.



He has since continued his connection with the paper, in which he purchased an intererest (sic) in 1879, and in 1894 bought out his partner, M. C. Frank. The paper was founded in 1874 by William E. Morgan, who owned it until 1890, and is now publishing the Leader of Greely (sic) Center, Nebraska. It has always been Republican in politics, and has been one of the leading journals of the state, its circulation being twelve hundred at the present time. Mr. Dayton has charge of the entire editorial and business affairs of the paper. In his political proclivities our subject is a stalwart supporter of the Republican party and its principles. Enjoying a wide acquaintance and marked popularity he is quite prominent in business circles. 

Letter/label or barHARLES S. NEWTON, a well-known grain buyer of Tamora, and one of the prominent early settlers of Seward county, was born in Painesville, Lake county, Ohio, in August, '854, and is a son of Nathan B. and Margaret (Lynch) Newton, the former a native of Long Island, New York, and the latter of Ohio. The father was a sailor for fifteen years on the Atlantic coast, and had command of a vessel for one year. From New York he removed to Ohio, and in 1856 took up his residence in Jo Daviess county, Illinois, where he made his home until his removal to Seward county, Nebraska, in 1872, landing here in May of that year and driving through with teams. He settled near Pleasant Dale on land he had purchased the year previous, and this he improved and converted into a good farm, residing thereon until called to his final rest in 1892. He was married in Ohio to Miss Margaret Lynch and to them were born nine children, six sons and three daughters, but only two sons now live in Seward county. The mother departed this life in 1890. The parents were both earnest and consistent members of the Methodist church and were held in high regard by the entire community in which they lived.

      In Illinois, Charles S. Newton was reared and educated, and there followed farming until the emigration of the family to Seward county, where he continued to engage in agricultural pursuits for some years. In 1880 he commenced buying grain at Pleasant Dale, where he remained for two years, and subsequently was similarly employed at Firth, Nebraska. He then removed to Milford, where he engaged in milling for two years, and next followed the carpenter's trade in the mines of Colorado for some time. Returning to Seward county in 1892, he entered the employ of the Central Grainage Company, of Omaha, and has since engaged in buying grain for that firm at Tamora.

      In 1875 Mr. Newton was united in marriage with Miss Mary Iler, a daughter of James Iler, one of the honored pioneers of this state. She was run over by a wagon while crossing the plains in 1860, and her mother, who bore the maiden name of Miss Foster, was shot by an Indian, the arrow passing clear through her body, from the effects of which she died a year later. The family were attacked by the red men near the present city of York while returning from the mines, and the father decided to remain in this state. Therefore Mrs. Newton grew to womanhood near the place where her mother was shot. By her marriage to our subject she has become the mother of four children, Walter J., Estella M., Sylvia S. and Vera, all living. She is a faithful member of the Presbyterian church and a most estimable lady.

      Socially Mr. Newton is identified with the Masonic Fraternity, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Woodmen of the World, and politically affiliates with the Republican party. He has filled the office of assessor to the entire satisfaction of all con-



cerned, and in all the relations of life has been found true and faithful to every trust reposed in him. 

Letter/label or barLVIN N. STRICKLAND is one of the county officials of Fillmore county, now filling the position of clerk. For many years he has been connected with the agricultural interests of the community and his fidelity to duty and his integrity and honor in every relation of life led to his selection for public service. His discharge of the duties devolving upon him shows that the trust reposed in him was well merited, and now receives the commendation of people of all parties.

      Mr. Strickland is a native of Illinois, his birth having occurred in Mercer county on the 19th of September, 1856, his parents being Ezra A. and Rosilla (Wing) Strickland. They were natives of Maine and at an early day in the history of the Prairie state emigrated to Illinois, taking up their residence in Mercer county, where the father secured land and carried on agricultural pursuits until his death. His widow is still living and yet makes her home in Mercer county.

      It was in that locality that Alvin N. Strickland was reared and educated. Amid the fields of grain and in the verdant meadows he spent much of his youth, assisting in the farm work until after harvests were gathered, when he entered the school of the neighborhood, there to pursue his studies until returning spring brought again the necessity for farm labor. He continued his residence in Illinois until the fall of 1882, when he came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 18, Belle Prairie township. Most of this had been broken, but there were few improvements on the place in the way of buildings or fences. With characteristic energy Mr. Strickland began its further development and soon transformed it into rich and fertile fields. He also erected substantial buildings, and as his financial resources increased extended the boundaries of his farm by the additional purchase of a two-hundred-and-forty-acre tract. He is regarded as one of the most prosperous, progressive and practical farmers of this township, following improved methods in the care and cultivation of his land and exercising great care and judgment in his work.

      In 1875 Mr. Strickland was united in marriage to Miss Sarah A. Epperly, a native of Mercer county, Illinois, and a daughter of J. C. and Mary E. (Cash) Epperly. Their union has been blessed with three childreen (sic): Vivan L., Mary E. and Vincent L., all yet at home with their parents, and the family is one of prominence and social distinction in the community.

     Mr. Strickland is a valued member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, of Strang, and of the Knights of Pythias Fraternity, and Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Geneva. In the fall of '897 he was nominated for county clerk on the People's Independent ticket and was elected by a majority of two hundred and five, assuming the duties of his office on the 6th of January, 1898, for a two-years term. He is a man of sterling worth, straightforward in business, loyal in citizenship, trustworthy in friendship, and is well regarded as one of the representative men of Fillmore county. 

Letter/label or barILTON SOVEREIGN. As an enterprising and wide-awake business man of York, and one who, through his own efforts, has established himself among the prominent and substantial men of the city, we take pleasure in giving a brief biography of the gentleman whose name stands at the head of this sketch. For four terms of two

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller