NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Dubuque. He was twice married, his first marriage being to a Miss Massey, during his residence in New York state, and who bore him eleven children. The Doctor chose for his second wife Jane Moreing, who survived him many years, her death occurring at Dubuque, Iowa, in 1887.

      Stephen C. Langworthy, the subject of this article, was reared and educated in Morgan county, Illinois; he early in life became self-supporting and in 1849 we find him, in company with many others, bound for the gold fields of California. After spending some time in the mines and not meeting with the success that he had anticipated, he turned his attention to mercantile pursuits, and for seven years was engaged in wholesaling general merchandise. At the end of that period he returned east and embarked in the grain and lumber trade at Monticello, Iowa, and made that place his home for many years. He assisted in the organization of the Monticello National Bank and served as its president during his residence there.

      In 1876 he came to Seward county, Nebraska, and organized the Seward County Bank, and was its president and general manager until it was merged into the First National Bank in 1882. On the organization of the First National Bank he was chosen as its president and still remains at the head of that institution. Mr. Langworthy has assisted in the inauguration of many of the most important business enterprises of this county and has ever been ready to encourage any plausible project. He owns and controls a large tract of land in this county and has other real estate investments of an extensive character.

      Mr. Langworthy was united in marriage in 1858 to Miss Elizabeth C. Bennett, a native of New York (further mention of whom will be found on another page of this volume). To this union have been born four sons and two daughters, all of whom are now living, except one daughter. William E., the eldest son, is now ably discharging the duties of cashier of the First National Bank. He graduated from the Seward high-school in 1884, shortly after which he entered the bank and has ably assisted in its management. He was married in January, 1897, to Miss Jessie Tishue, a daughter of Joel Tishue, one of the well-known business men of Seward. Alice, now Mrs. Gillespie, is a resident of Archer City, Texas; Stephen C., Jr., is a member of the Seward county bar and a graduate of the State University and Law School. He was admitted to practice in 1892 and was engaged in the practice of his profession at Seward up to May, 1898, when he enlisted in Company F, of Second Nebraska Volunteer Infantry, and served as a member of that company until October of the same year, when the regiment was mustered out of service. Fred B. is now a resident of Chicago. Bert S., the youngest son, is filling a position of assistant cashier in the bank.

      Mr. Langworthy has never taken any active part in politics, but is a strong and outspoken Republican. The bank over which he has so successfully presided has a capital stock of $50,000, a surplus of $10,000, carries deposits averaging $134,000,. and has undivided profits of $9,000; its board of directors is composed of the solid business men of Seward, among whom may be mentioned, Herman Diers, S. R. Douglas, John Zimmerer, and others equally well known, and is regarded as one of the solid concerns of the state. 

Letter/label or barLIZABETH C. (BENNETT) LANGWORTHY. To attempt to compile a history of the people of this section of Nebraska without making special mention of the important work that has been accomplished by the women of this state would be erroneous and misleading. From the earliest settlement made on the west banks of the Missouri river we



have found them going side by side with their husbands and fathers, enduring the hardships of frontier life, exposing themselves to the dangers following the settlement of a new country, but cheerfully bearing these burdens that they might build for themselves and their children a home.

      In later years, when the country became more settled we find them taking a prominent part in the government of the schools, and through their own efforts many of the most beneficial organizations in the state have sprung into existence.

      Mrs. Langworthy belongs to that type of women that possess all the noble qualities of a true mother but who has found time to labor in behalf of her sex and to bring the moral and intellectual standard to a much higher plane.

      Mrs. Langworthy is a daughter of Jacob and Caroline (Valentine) Bennett, she was born in Orleans county, New York state, in 1837. Her parents were both natives of the same state but were of Holland-Dutch and French parentage respectively. The father was a tiller of the soil and followed that occupation the greater part of his life. He removed from New York to Wisconsin in 1849, from there to Minnesota, and later to Missouri, in which state he died in 1888, aged ninety-one years. He was the father of nine children; the wife and mother departed this life in the same state, aged eighty-six years. The grandfather of our subject was Jacob Bennett, Senior. He was a soldier in the American Revolution, was taken prisoner of war by the English forces and was held in an English prison ship for some time, off the coast of Quebec.

      Mrs. Langworthy was reared to the age of sixteen in New York state and there received her early education in the public schools of that state. She accompanied her parents on their removal to the west and completed her education by a course in the Hamlin University, then located at Red Wing, Minnesota. Her marriage occurred at that place in 1858 and by this union she has become the mother of six children, mention of whom is made elsewhere.

      Since becoming a resident of Seward, Mrs. Langworthy has taken an active part in the club work of the state, and for five years served as a member of the school board of Seward. She was also appointed as a member of the board of associate charity, and has served in that capacity for a number of years. In 1893 she was appointed by Thomas W. Palmer as a member of the board of lady commissioners from Nebraska to the World's Columbian Exposition at Chicago, and was selected as chairman of that board from this state.

      In 1890 Mrs. Langworthy organized the History and Art Club of Seward, and later took a prominent part in the organization of the state federation of clubs. She served as its first secretary, and in October, 1898, was elected president of that, organization. To attempt to give in detail the prominent part that she has borne in the social affairs of the state of Nebraska is not permitted in this limited space; suffice to say that she is well known not only throughout Nebraska, but through the country in general. In 1894 Mrs. Langworthy spent some months across the Atlantic, visiting all the principal cities of Europe. She is a woman of broad views, and her opinions in matters of art are much sought after. 

Letter/label or barHARLES DOUGLAS WHITE.--It is a pleasure to record the main events in the life of one who has attained an enviable position solely through his own efforts and exertions, and who, though he has not yet completed the ascent of the sunny side of the hill of life, has won for himself, his wife and his family a very comfortable and pleasant home.

      Mr. White moved to his present home



in Ulysses township, Butler county, from Woodford county, Illinois, where he was born in 1861. His father, James White, was an early settler in Woodford county, Illinois, but was a native of North Carolina. When his parents emigrated from the last named state to Illinois, he and an older sister went all the way a-foot, following the wagons barefooted. When the father died a few years ago, he owned two hundred and forty acres of land in Woodford county, which was worth one hundred dollars per acre, besides much other property. Our subject's mother bore the maiden name of Miss Rebecca Kirby and was horn in Pennsylvania, and his brother, W. T. White, moved to Nebraska about three years ahead of him.

      When Charles D. White, the subject of our sketch, first located in Nebraska, he was a poor man, having no capital whatever. He began by working on a farm by the month, and, by close attention to business, industry and economy, he was soon able to purchase a farm and stock and tools to start farming on his own account, and is now the fortunate owner of a fine farm of one hundred sixty acres, well improved and equipped with a comfortable and attractive home. Mr. White is a potent factor in the prosperity enjoyed by Butler county, and has been of great assistance in developing and extending its agriculture. He is a man of considerable means and popularity, and his public spirit has never been called in question. He is a man of the very best character, thorough and systematic as a farmer, pleasant to meet, and is held in high esteem by all with whom he comes in contact. He has an excellent farm, a cozy home and a pleasant family.

      Mrs. White, who was known in her girlhood as Miss Elvina Burge, is a daughter of Jeremiah Berg, of Henry county, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. White were married in 1886 and their home has been blessed by the presence of a bright, interesting family of three children, whose names in the order of their birth are as follows: Mabel E., James J. and Clara H. 

Letter/label or barDGAR A. WELLS, one of the most energetic and prosperous business men of Arborville township, York county, has always been interested in agricultural pursuits, and in connection with general farming has for the past twelve years been engaged in feeding cattle on quite an extensive scale. He is also a liberal-minded and public-spirited citizen, who ever cheerfully gives his support to those enterprises that tend to public development.

      Like many of the best citizens of the county, Mr. Wells is a native of New York, born in Chenango county, September 23, 1854, and is a son of Halsey and Lorana (Rogers) Wells, also natives of the Empire state. The father, who was a farmer by occupation, removed to De Kalb county, Illinois, in 1854, and there made his home until called to his final rest in 1893. He reared a family of three sons and two daughters, of whom our subject is the second son and third child. His boyhood and youth were spent in Illinois, where he acquired a good practical education in the common schools. On starting out in life for himself he chose as a life work the occupation to which he had been reared, and until 1880 followed farming in Illinois. Coming west he located in York county, Nebraska, and bought a farm in Arborville township, where he now owns four hundred acres of valuable and productive land, which he has placed under excellent cultivation and improved with good buildings. As previously stated, he has for the past twelve years given considerable attention to stock raising, and now feeds annually one hundred and fifty head.

      During his residence in Illinois, Mr. Wells was married, in 1877, to Miss Stella



H. Ball, a native of De Kalb county, and a daughter of William and Julia (Arnold) Ball, natives of Kentucky and Ohio, respectively. One daughter graces this union--Coila M. The parents both hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, and socially, Mr. Wells belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen. The Republican party has always found in him a stanch supporter of its principles, but he has never sought political preferment. He is widely and favorably known throughout his adopted county, and is always mentioned among the invaluable citizens of his community. 

Letter/label or barON. WILLIAM WELCH, an influential member of the agricultural community of Polk county, having his home on section 10, township 14, range 2 west, Osceola precinct, is now representing his district in the state legislature with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. He is one of the most popular men of the community, a leader in thought and action, and is devoted to the public welfare. His portrait appears on another page.

      Mr. Welch was born March 18, 1841, in Harrison county, Ohio, and is a son of Daniel and Mary (Gray) Welch, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively. As early as 1802 the father emigrated to Ohio, where he successfully engaged in farming and the raising of fine stock until life's labors were ended, dying there in 1868. The mother had passed away in 1848. Both were earnest and faithful members of the Presbyterian church; the father was a soldier of the war of 1812, and always took an active interest in political affairs. Three of their sons valiantly fought for the preservation of the Union during the Civil war, namely: John P.. who is now deceased; Daniel, who was killed in the battle of the Wilderness, and William, of this sketch. Of their six children, only Margaret E. and William are now living. By a previous marriage the father had two children: Elias B., deceased, and Mrs. Rachel Mayes.

      Upon the home farm in Ohio, William Welch passed his boyhood and youth, and in the schools of a neighboring village received his education. On the 14th of May, 1864, he enlisted as a private in Company H, One Hundred and Seventieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and with his regiment was ordered to Washington, District of Columbia. They did guard duty at Harper's Ferry and in the Shenandoah valley, and participated in the battles of Snicker's Gap, Cedar Creek, Monocacy Junction and Bolivar Heights, but Mr. Welch was never wounded or captured by the enemy. On the expiration of his term of enlistment he was discharged September 10, 1864, and returned home. Soon afterward he went to Marshall county, Iowa, where on a farm he extensively engaged in sheep raising for nine years, having a flock of eight hundred. The following year he spent in Colorado, and in 1875 he came to Polk county, Nebraska, and located on his present homestead, living at first in a sod house with no floor. He has made all of the improvements upon the place, including the erection of an attractive residence in 1887, which he surrounded by beautiful shrubs and shade trees. The farm, comprising two hundred and forty acres, is all under a high state of cultivation, and with the exception of three years spent in Osceola, it has always been his home since locating thereon in 1875.

      On the 4th of March, 1875, Mr. Welch was united in marriage with Miss Emily T. Lodge, who was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, January 3, 1847, a daughter of Evan and Tirzah (Hale) Lodge, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Ohio. Her father, who was a farmer by occupation, removed to the Buckeye state, and died in



Picture button




Columbiana county, in March, 1893, his wife dying in the same county, July 31, 1888. Five of their eight children are still living: David H., Mrs. Lizzie A. Adams, Mrs. Welch, Alice and Mrs. Virginia Watson. Two sons were soldiers of the Civil war: Abel C., who died November 9, 1876; and Jonathan M., who died in Iowa, May 30, 1889. Mrs. Welch was reared on her father's homestead, received a good education in the schools of Ohio, and for a time successfully engaged in teaching. She came to Nebraska in 1874. By her marriage she become the mother of three children: Percy Gray, born August 29, 1876; died January 5, 1884; Herman Lodge, born May 15, 1878; and Arthur Evan, born November 18, 1880.

      Originally Mr. Welch was a Republican in politics, and supported Abraham Lincoln for the presidency, but is now identified with the Peoples' party, and takes quite an active and prominent part in political matters. In the fall of 1896 he was elected to the state legislature, and in the thirty-ninth assembly was a member of the committee on acts and expenditures, mines and mining, universities and normal schools, live stock and grazing. He is always courteous, kindly and affable, and those who know him personally have for him high regard. It is to such enterprising and progressive men as Mr. Welch that the west owes its prosperity, its rapid progress and its advancement. 

Letter/label or barOHN W. BENNETT.--The subject of this sketch is not only one of the leading farmers of New York township, but is a prominent and influential man in political and social circles in York county, and for two terms he held the office of treasurer of that county. He was born in Clark county, Indiana, April 6, 1842, a son of Marcus F. and Sarah (Swartz) Bennett.

      Marcus F. Bennett, our subject's father, was born in North Carolina, was a farmer by occupation, and in 1826 he moved to Indiana and settled in Clark county. This he made his home until 1852, when he moved from thence to Adams county, Illinois, and made that his home until 1882, when he came to Nebraska. He died at Waco, York county, June 13, 1897, at the age of eighty-five years. His wife was born in Indiana, and is still living. They were the parents of a family of eleven children, ten of whom are living, and of whom our subject is third in the order of birth.

      John W. Bennett, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the common schools of Indiana and Illinois, and began work on a farm at the age of ten years. He made his home with his parents until twenty-two years of age, and then began life on his own responsibility in Illinois. He made his home in this state until 1878 and then moved to York county, Nebraska, and settled at Waco, where he was engaged in farming and operating a lumber yard for about two years. He then bought his present farm in section one, New York township, placed upon it the buildings and other improvements that go to make up a cosy home and a valuable farm, and his estate will compare favorably with the best farms in this section of the country. Here Mr. Bennett carried on a general farming and stockraising business until 1882, when he was elected treasurer of York county. After performing the duties of that office for a period of four years, he again resumed his farming and has since devoted his attention to that line of work, with the exception of the year 1891, which he spent in California.

      Mr. Bennett was married in Illinois in 1872, to Miss Tillie M. Kendig. She is a native of the state of Pennsylvania, and her parents, Henry and Mary J. (Walters) Kendig, were both natives of the same state, and were of German descent. They lived



and died in their native state. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett are the parents of a family of two sons, Ezra L. and Elton A. The entire family are members of the Methodist church. In politics our subject is identified with the Republican party, and has become one of the leaders in that organization in the county in which he lives. Besides serving as treasurer of York county, Mr. Bennett has held some of the minor offices, among them that of supervisor of New York township. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for the past twenty-eight years, and for the past nine years he has been a Knight Templar in that organization. He also affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Bennett has been quite successful both as a farmer and in his political career and has accumulated considerable means, but best of all he has made a wide acquaintance and enjoys the respect and esteem of all who know him. 

Letter/label or barHILIP BOHL, who is worthy of more than a mere mention in a work of this nature, is an "Ohio man" in the broadest and best sense of that term. He arrived in this section of the country when a large portion of the soil of York county still rested undisturbed by the plowshare, and while the primitive dwellings of the settlers were few and far between. The township of Morton, in which he located, gladly welcomed within its precincts every man who was blessed with ambition and brains. In this category the subject of this sketch was placed at once, and he proved himself equal the demands made upon him.

      The childhood home of Mr. Bohl was in Washington county, Ohio, where his birth occurred February 17, 1847. His parents, Nicholas and Mary (Gettle) Bohl, were natives of Germany and on corning to the United States, in 1834, settled in Washington county, Ohio, where the father followed farming throughout his active business life. He is still living at the advanced age of eighty-two years, honored and respected by all who know him, but the mother departed this life in 1897. To them were born four sons, of whom three are still living, and two now make their home in Nebraska.

      Reared in Ohio, Philip Bohl obtained his education in the public schools of that state, and as soon as large enough he began to assist in the work of the home farm, remaining with his parents until he attained his majority. In 1868 he removed to Moultrie county, Illinois, where he continued to reside until 1871, when he came to York county, Nebraske (sic), and took up a homestead on section 30, Morton township. He soon sold that place however, and purchased his present farm on section 28, the same township, it being a pre-emption and entirely unimproved. He at once turned his attention to breaking and cultivating his land, and now has one of the best farms in this locality. It comprises a quarter-section of land and is improved with good and substantial buildings.

      In 1884 Mr. Bohl was united in marriage with Miss Jerusha Brooker, who was also born in Washington county, Ohio, and is a daughter of Morgan and Maria (Trobridge) Brooker, natives of Connecticut and Rhode Island, respectively. Both died in Ohio, the mother in 1873. Mrs. Bohl is an earnest member of the Lutheran church, and he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and the Modern Brotherhood of America. In political sentiment he is a Democrat, but has never cared for the honors or emoluments of public office, preferring to give his entire time to his business interests. He is, however, a public spirited citizen, and never withholds his support from any object which he believes will prove of public benefit.



Letter/label or barWAN AUGUST ANDERSON occupies a prominent place as a well-to-do and progressive member of the farming community of Butler county, in Franklin township, of which he has an elegant farm of two hundred and forty acres in sections 31 and 32. He located on this farm in 1881, when it was still all prairie, and since his residence here he has placed upon it such improvements as entitle it to rank among the finest pieces of property devoted to agricultural pursuits to be found throughout the community, and has been instrumental in developing and promoting the growth in this section of the county.

      Mr. Anderson was born in Sweden May 16, 1839, and was reared on a farm in his native country. He received his education in the common schools of Sweden, and in 1869 he migrated to America, and located at Burlington, Iowa. Here he worked for about two years on the railroad which was then being constructed, and lived on a boarding train, and also worked for a time in Missouri, on a railroad, with a team. He then went to Jefferson county and other counties in Iowa, and has worked at different times in nearly every part of the state. He went to Butler county, Nebraska, in 1876, and located first in David City, where he lived five years. He then bought the farm he now occupies, moved to it, furnished it with a complete line of improvements and began farming, and in connection with that line of work he has been extensively engaged in raising, buying and shipping stock for sixteen years. He is one of the most systematic and successful farmers in the county.

      June 26, 1866, our subject was married in Sweden to Miss Ida Anderson, also a native of that country, and their wedded life has been blessed by the presence of a family of four children, as follow: Ollie, wife of Peter Johnson, of Olive township, Butler county, Nebraska; Arthur Roland, at home; Albert and John, deceased. Politically our subject is a Republican. He is a member of the Lutheran church and was one of the organizers of the society in the community in which he lives, and helped, both in a financial sense and otherwise, in the erection of the church building.

      Mr. Anderson's father, Andrew Pearson, was also a native of Sweden, and a farmer by occupation. He was for four years judge of the court in Sweden, and died in his native country when our subject was but eleven years of age. His wife, Christeena (Swanson) Pearson, also a native of Sweden, died at the age of fifty-six years, leaving a family of seven children, all of whom grew to maturity and were married, and three of whom are still living, viz: John is living in the old country ; Gus A. is living in Vermillion county, Illinois; and Swan August, the subject of this sketch. 

Letter/label or barON. R. S. NORVAL easily takes rank among the first lawyers of Seward county, and for many years has exercised a very large influence upon legal transactions in this part of the state. He has his office in Seward, but his patronage comes from widely extended sources, and his acquaintance throughout the state is very flattering to him both as a man and as a member of the bar. He has labored hard to master the intricacies of his profession, and it is the general judgment of the public that he is authority both in its practice and theory.

      Mr. Norval was born in Fulton county, Illinois, October 18, 1849, and is a son of Oliver and Mary J. (Sampson) Norval. His father came from North Carolina, and his mother from Maryland. They were farmers, and moved to Illinois in 1835 in search of land for their growing family. The senior Norval was born in 1807, and died in Illinois at the very advanced age of eighty-four



years. His mother still survives and makes her home on the Illinois farm where she has dwelt for more than sixty years. Her son, the theme of this sketch, was educated in Illinois, and finished his general study at Hedding College. He began the study of law in 1868, earning the money for his first law books by keeping cows for his father. An older brother, Judge Norval, pursued his law studies at the same time, and they read law so widely and thoroughly that they entered the law department of the University of Michigan and finished their studies at the same time. R. S. Norval entered that celebrated institution in 1869, and was graduated with the class of 1871, and was admitted to the Michigan Bar at Detroit the same year. He hung out his shingle and practiced law for a few months in Illinois, but the country was so well filled up with old and established attorneys, that a young and briefless lawyer seemed to have little chance. In March, 1872, in company with his brother, he came to this county, and formed a partnership which continued unbroken until the election of the senior member of the firm to the district bench.

      Mr. Norval was married in 1873 to Miss Martha A. Gray, a talented and accomplished lady. She was born in Illinois, but is devoted to her Nebraska home. They are the parents of six children, Eva M., Oliver G., Ethel L., Leona, Richard S., Jr., and Mary M. These children have survived the perils of infancy, and give every promise of growing up to honorable and useful lives. He is an adept in Masonic matters, and also has membership in the Ancient Order of the United Workmen, and the Modern Woodmen of America. In all political themes and questions he holds to every orthodox Republicanism, and has been honored by his party in many ways. He was a delegate at large from Nebraska to the national Republican convention at Chicago that nominated President Harrison in 1888. In 1889 he was sent to the state senate, and has repeatedly served on important committees. He has been on the state committee, as well as the congressional and county organizations. He is familiar with all the details of commercial law. He helped organize the Beaver Crossing state bank, and was its first president, and for some years served as. one of its directors. He has made a conspicuous success, and holds the esteem of the county as few men are able to do. 

Letter/label or bar. O. CHINDGREN.--No foreign element has become a more important part in our American citizenship than that furnished by Sweden. The emigrants from that land have brought with them to the new world the stability, enterprise and perseverance characteristic of their people and have fused these qualities with the progressiveness and indomitable spirit of the west. Mr. Chindgren is a representative of this class. He came to America a poor boy, hoping to benefit his financial condition, and his dreams of the future have been more than realized. He now occupies a very prominent place in the business circles of Polk county, and is also serving as chairman of the board of county commissioners. He resides at Swede Home, where he conducts a large general store and also fills the office of postmaster.

     Mr. Chindgren was born in Sweden, November 29, 1851, and in that country acquired his education in the common schools. It was in 1869 that he crossed the broad Atlantic, and after spending one year in Galesburg, Illinois, went south, and for three years was engaged in farming on rented land in Mississippi and Tennessee. Returning to Illinois in 1872, he worked for different farmers in Mercer, Henry and Rock Island counties until corning to Polk county, Nebraska, in 1884, and embarked

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller