NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



in business on his own account at Swede Home. He built a store room, but purchased his first bill of goods while sitting on his lumber pile before the erection of the building. He prospered in this undertaking, has added to his store, and now carries a large and well selected stock of general merchandise. Besides his village property he owns a well improved farm of eighty acres, and is secretary of the Scandinavian Mutual Insurance Company, which was organized in 1837 with N. P. Hult as president; P. O. Chindgren, secretary; and C. H. Anderson, treasurer.

      In 1885 Mr. Chindgren married Miss Amelia Johnson, a native of Pennsylvania, and they have become the parents of five children: Milton D., Mabel E., Herman H., Anton Benjamin and Reuben F. Mr. and Mrs. Chindgren are earnest members of the Swedish Augustana church, and he is a stanch supporter of the Republican party being the only representative of that party now in office in Polk county--a fact which plainly indicates his personal popularity and the confidence and trust reposed in him by his fellow citizens. In the fall of 1895 he was elected a county commissioner and is now the efficient chairman of the board. He has also served as postmaster of Swede Home since July 19, 1884, and his name is honorably and inseparably connected with the history of his town and county. 

Letter/label or barOHN N. DAVIS, M. D., one of the most prominent professional men of York, York county, was born in Shelby county, Indiana, June 28, 1844. His father moved to Burlington, Iowa, in the spring of 1845, in which state the Doctor was raised. At the beginning of the Civil war he enlisted first at Fairfield, but was rejected because of his being under age. Later, on January 1, 1864, he again enlisted when he was assigned to Company H, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry, in which company and regiment he served until the close of the war. On April 25, 1864, he was taken a prisoner of war at Mark's Mills, Arkansas, and was taken to Tyler, Texas, where he was confined in a stockade; was exchanged at the mouth of Red river, February 26, 1865, and was honorably discharged August 24, 1865, at DeVall's Bluff, Arkansas. Upon reaching his home, he immediately engaged in the general mercantile business, in which he continued for ten years. In the meantime he had taken up the study of medicine, and September 1, 1874, entered the medical department of the State University of Iowa. On the 23d of August, 1875, he engaged in the practice of medicine in Carl, Adams county, Iowa, and on January 10, 1877, he was united in marriage to Miss Anna M. Dean, of Iowa City, one year and a half after entering his professional career. He continued to practice medicine in Carl until September I, 1878, when he again returned to the State University. for a second course in medicine, remaining in Iowa City until September, 1879. He then entered the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, and was graduated in June, 1880. He returned to Iowa City and remained there until June, 1382, when he came to York, Nebraska, where he located in August of the same year, and has since continued in the active practice of medicine and surgery. He served four years as councilman, and in April, 1894, was elected mayor of the city of York, serving one term. In 1893, he was chosen a member of the World's Congress of Eclectic Physicians and Surgeons at the World's Columbian Exposition. He is at the present time a member of the United States examining board of surgeons. The Doctor has enjoyed a profitable business and is comfortably fixed with this world's goods.



      He has been blessed with one son, Elroy D., who is now in the clothing business, and one daughter, Iva D., eleven years of age, now in school.

      He is a member of the Masonic and Independent Order of Odd Fellows fraternities, and also of the Robert Anderson Post, No. 32, of the Grand Army of the Republic, and has always been identified with the Republican party. The Doctor has always taken an interest in public affairs, and all matters affecting the welfare of the city and county, and all the honors and positions bestowed upon him, have come without any solicitation on his part. 

Letter/label or barREDERICK P. BLOOM.--While some men's lives are quietly and peacefully spent within the influence of a home, others meet with the adventures in the course of their life which read almost like a romance. Among the latter class is the subject of this sketch, whose early life was passed amidst exciting scenes from choice. Of late years, however, he has quietly engaged in agricultural pursuits on section 30, Center township, Butler county, Nebraska, where he has made his home since 1880.

      Mr. Bloom was born on board a ship on the Atlantic ocean, in July, 1836, a son of John and Christina Blum, who were on their way from Germany to this country, where they intended to make their future home. For nine years after their arrival in the United States, they lived in Dayton, Ohio, and then removed to Randolph county, Indiana, locating near Winchester, where the mother died and was laid to rest. Our subject remained with his parents in that county until fifteen years of age, when he ran away from home, and to avoid being intercepted by them he changed his name from Blum to Bloom.

      Going to Kentucky his sympathies were soon enlisted in the interest of the slaves, and he aided many of them in making their escape to Canada. This was in 1854, and shortly afterward he went to Missouri, where he took an active part in the operations of the ''underground railroad," by which means many a poor negro managed to gain his freedom by being transferred from place to place until he crossed the Canadian border. About this time the "border ruffians" were making themselves very obnoxious to the Kansas free state people, and Mr. Bloom soon joined the forces of the latter under the noted John Brown, who was later executed for his raid on Harper's Ferry. Having secured a horse from the border ruffians, our subject was soon a leading spirit in the adventurous band who did excellent service in the cause of freedom during the early days of Kansas history. In 1858 he joined Albert Sydney Johnston on his trip to Salt Lake City against the Indians after the Mountain Meadow massacre, and assisted in building Fort Douglas, west of Salt Lake, returning from this expedition to the Mississippi valley in the winter of 1859-60.

      Mr. Bloom then joined his brother Andrew in Stark county, Illinois, where he remained until the war of the Rebellion broke out. He at once enlisted for three months in Company B, Nineteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and afterward re-enlisted for three years, his regiment being assigned to General Tourchen's command. His previous training was well calculated to make him a valuable soldier, and in the events that followed he demonstrated that he had been an apt pupil. He participated in the battles of Huntsville, Stone River, Chickamauga, as well as numerous other engagements, always being found in the midst of the fight, where shot and shell were falling thickest. Though twice wounded and his health shattered by hardships and exposure, he remained with his regiment until the expiration of his term of



enlistment, being honorably discharged at Chicago, July 9, 1864. His is a war record of which he may be justly proud. Returning to Stark county, Illinois, he made his home there until coming to this state in 1880, since which time he has owned and operated his present farm on section 30, Center township, Butler county. By all who know him, he is held in high regard, and his friends are many throughout his adopted county.

      On the 29th of September, 1864, Mr. Bloom was united in marriage with Miss Charlotte T., daughter of Henry Curfman, a well-known farmer of Stark county, Illinois. They have become the parents of the following children, all born in Illinois with the exception of the youngest, Bertha P., who is a native of Butler county, Nebraska. In order of birth they are as follows: Laura Ann, now the wife of R. B. Cook, of Garrison, Butler county; Mary E., wife of Frank Howser, of David City; Josephine, wife of Ernest Cuplean, whose home is on section 30, Center township, Butler county; Nancy C., wife of Charles Kindler, of the same section; Henry Thomas, a resident of Garrison; and Charles Frederick, William M. and Bertha P., who are all at home. 

Letter/label or barHOMAS ATKISON, deceased, was one of the honored pioneers and highly respected citizens of York county, his home farm being one hundred and twenty acres on sections 19 and 20, Lockridge township. He was born in Harrison county, Ohio, October 16, 1852, and was a son of William and Mary (Kyle) Atkison, farming people, who made their home in the Buckeye state for many years. Later in life they removed to Iowa, but the father died in Illinois, in 1875, and the mother passed away at the home of our subject in Nebraska, in 1883. Of their six children, five sons and one daughter, all are now deceased with the exception of one son and the daughter.

      Mr. Atkison, of this review, was principally reared and educated in Iowa, and he continued to aid his father in the operation of the home farm until 1871, when he and a brother came to York county, Nebraska, and homesteaded two quarter-sections of land on section 19 and 20, Lockridge township. These tracts were still in their primitive condition, but with characteristic energy our subject soon converted the raw prairie into highly cultivated fields and erected thereon a good set of farm buildings.

      On the 8th of December, 1870, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Atkison and Miss Hannah Mosgrove, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of Watson and Hannah Mosgrove, who at an early day emigrated to Iowa and later came to York county, Nebraska. To Mr. and Mrs. Atkison were born two children, Robert A. and Cordelia O., both living. The husband and father died in November, 1882, leaving many friends as well as his immediate family to mourn his loss. He was a Democrat in politics and most creditably served as road supervisor in his township for five years. Religiously he was identified with the United Brethren church, and his life was ever in harmony with his professions. He supported all feasible plans for the moral and intellectual advancement of his community, and was also an important factor in promoting the welfare of the township and county. A valued citizen, a kind father and affectionate husband, his memory is cherished and perpetuated by all. 

Letter/label or barAVID WARNER, an honored veteran of the Civil war, and an enterprising and progressive farmer residing on section 22, Chelsea township, Fillmore county, Nebraska, was born on the 3d of December,




1828, in Broome county, New York, a son of S. S. and Eliza (Doolittle) Warner, the former of Welch and the latter of Irish descent. His paternal grandparents were David and Abigail (Hoyt) Warner, and his paternal grandparents were Isaac and (Hawley) Doolittle, all of whom were farming people.

      Mr. Warner's educational advantages were limited to a few months' attendance at the district schools, but his business training was not so limited, for he worked hard upon his father's farm until eighteen years of age and then learned the cooper's trade, spending a year in the shop of Ammi Palmer. Afterward he worked at his trade and also spent some time in the woods, getting out cooper's supplies. On the 6th of February, 1850, he led to the marriage alter Miss Lavina A. Kark, who was born in Broome county, New York, March 27, 1828, a daughter of John and Melissa (Negas) Kark, natives of Holland and Massachusetts, respectively. Her paternal grandparents were John and Hester Kark. To our subject and his wife were born four children, of whom three are still living: Eliza M., Abbie P. and Walter D. All are now married and have homes of their own.

      After his marriage Mr. Warner purchased fifteen acres of land in his native county, erected a shop thereon, and eighteen months later embarked in the coopering business on his own account. At the end of two years he moved his shop to a little town near by, called New Ohio, but sold out eight months later and bought a few acres of land, which he commenced to operate. Thinking to better his condition, he soon disposed of that place and rented his father-in-law's farm for one year. Leaving his wife with her parents he made a trip to Illinois, and on his return home bought forty acres of land and embarked in farming on a more extensive scale. Two years later he again sold out and removed with his family to Ridgefield, McHenry county, Illinois, where he was in the employ of a farmer for one year.

      When the rebels opened fire on Fort Sumter, he with thousands of others in the north came forward as one man to the rescue of the nation. He enlisted in Company B, Forty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was sworn into the United States service August 27, 1861. From Camp Douglas the regiment proceeded to St. Louis, and finally was sent in pursuit of General Price in Missouri. While the regiment was on guard duty, June 9, 1862, Mr. Warner was wounded by the accidental discharge of his gun and the fingers of his left hand were so badly lacerated that he was sent to the field hospital, later to Jefferson Barracks, and from there to the convalescent hospital at Louisville, Kentucky, where the examining physician declared him unfit for further service and he was discharged November 14, 1862. Returning home he embarked in the cooperage business at Ridgefield, Illinois, but in February, 1864, he again enlisted, this time in the Elgin Battery, Fifth Independent Light Artillery, which he joined at Knoxville, Tennessee. From there they to Strawberry Plains, and on to Washington, D. C., by way of Louisville, Kentucky, then down the Potomac to Morehead City, and from there to Kingston, North Carolina. They were in camp at Goldsboro, that state, until General Sherman came up, and with his army started in pursuit of Johnston. When the latter surrendered they were among those appointed by Sherman to secure the arms of the prisoners, and were afterward sent to preserve order among the citizens of Charlotte, remaining there until July 4, when Captain Wood was ordered to fire the national salute at twelve o'clock noon, which was done. The battery then went to Chicago, where it was mustered out the same month in 1865.



      Mr. Warner resumed work at his trade on his return to Ridgefield, where he made his home until 1868, and then moved to Iowa, but the 2nd of November, 1872, found him located on a farm in Fillmore county, Nebraska, where he has since resided. He has a good farm of eighty acres under excellent cultivation and well improved with good buildings, and as an agriculturalist he has met with a well deserved success. He has taken quite an active and prominent part in local politics, and has most acceptably filled the offices of constable and road overseer. Religiously he and his wife and two children are members of the Methodist church, two miles east of their farm, and he is now serving as trustee of the same. His career has ever been such as to commend him to the confidence and esteem of all with whom he has come in contact, and he has a host of warm friends in his adopted county. 

Letter/label or barAMUEL B. FLICK.--One of the influential members of the farming community of Arborville township, York county, and one of its most highly esteemed citizens, is the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. He is entirely a self-made man in the truest sense of the term, having been the only architect of his own fortunes. On his arrival in the county his cash capital amounted to but five dollars, but he has steadily prospered, aided only by his own strong arms, indomitable energy and laudable ambition.

      Mr. Flick was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, February 29, 1844, and is a son of James and Margaret (Clinefilter) Flick, also natives of the Old Dominion. His paternal grandparents were David and Margaret (Van Pelt) Flick, who, like the parents of our subject, lived and died in Rockingham county. The father and grandfather were both shoemakers by trade, and followed that occupation as a life work.

      Samuel B. Flick, who is the third in order of birth in a family of eleven children, was reared and educated in his native state, and at an early age began to engage in agricultural pursuits. In 1861 he joined the Confederate army as a member of Company A, First Virginia Volunteer Infantry, and was in the service for two years and two months, participating in the battles of Brady Station, Upperville, Virginia, and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Later he belonged to the Eleventh Virginia Cavalry, and with that regiment took part in the battle of Williamsport and many smaller engagements, but fortunately escaped without wounds. In 1863 he deserted the Confederate army, and made his way to Petersburg, West Virginia, where he took the oath of allegiance to the United States.

      For fifteen months Mr. Flick lived in West Virginia, the following three years were passed in Ohio, whence he went to Indiana, and for five years he made his home in Logan county, Illinois, following farming all this time. In the fall of 1871 he came to York county, Nebraska, and filed a claim on section 30, Arborville township. He drove across the country from Logan county, Illinois, and back again, and in the spring of the following year brought his family to their new home. For nineteen years they lived in a sod house, but now have a pleasant frame residence, which is surrounded by good barns and outbuildings, all models of convenience.

      In Huntington county, Indiana, Mr. Flick was married, in 1868, to Miss Elizabeth Christian. Her parents, John and Nancy (Goodyear) Christian, had removed from Pennsylvania to Ohio at an early day, but for many years have made their home in Huntington county, Indiana, where they are still numbered among the highly respected and honored citizens. Mr. and Mrs. Flick have a family of six children: Arnett F., now Mrs. H. W. Hitchcock;



Verna B.; Charles W.; Samuel L.; Bertha A. and Elizabeth C., all still living. The parents are consistent members of the Church of Christ, and socially Mr. Flick belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Politically he is a Populist, and he has been honored with the offices of justice of the peace and township supervisor, which he filled with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. 

Letter/label or barON. THOMAS WOLFE, president of the First National Bank, of David City, Nebraska, was born in Germany near the Rhine, May 18, 1846, came with his parents to America in 1852 and located in Marquette, Wisconsin, from whence they removed to Marathon county, Wisconsin, in 1854. At the age of ten years he entered the force of the Central Wisconsin, a weekly newspaper, at Wausau, Wisconsin, serving his time as a printer, afterwards removing to Milwaukee, where he worked on the Daily News, and in job offices; from thence he went to Chicago, where he was on the staff of the Tribune and Journal. On going to New York later he was employed by the Evening Post and Tribune. He then took a westward course to Omaha in 1864 where he worked on the Republican, Herald, Tribune, and Bee, being president of the Omaha Typographical Union for several years and was for sometime superintendent of the Bee office.

      In 1874 during the printers' strike, although he was opposed to it, he went out with the union men to Seward, Nebraska, and bought out the Nebraska Reporter, which weekly he published for some eight years.

      After this time he removed to Butler county, where he was made president of the Butler County Bank, in David City, in 1877, and remained president of this bank until it was converted (1883) to the First National Bank, still being its president and holding the office ever since.

      Mr. Wolfe was connected with the Nebraska Press Association for several years and was president of same from 1879 to 1880. He represented Seward county in the legislature during the years of 1887 and 1888, having been elected to this office by the Republican party, with which party he has ever been identified

      In 1893 he established the David City Public Library, which contains about four thousand volumes. He has been president and treasurer of the Butler County Agricultural Society and also of the Business Men's Association of that place.

      In 1896 he married Miss M. Madessa Guist, of Titusville, Pennsylvania. 

Letter/label or barYRON N. MYRICK, a worthy representative of the agricultural interests of Morton township, and one of the honored pioneers of York county, was born on the 14th of September, 1841, in Williamston, Wayne county, New York, and is a son of Isaac N. and Mary (Gray) Myrick, natives of Vermont, where their respective parents spent their entire lives. The father of our subject, who was a stone cutter by trade, and also followed the vocation of farming, removed to New York in 1841, where he worked at his trade until going to Michigan in 1857. From Michigan he emigrated to Illinois in 1865, and settled in McDonough county, where his death occurred in 1879.

      The boyhood and youth of our subject were passed in the Empire state, where he attended school and also learned the stone cutter's trade. He engaged in clerking for some years, and later followed farming in Michigan and Illinois. In 1861 he responded to his country's call for aid to as-



sist in putting down the rebellion, enlisting in Company B, Sixteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and with that regiment served for ten months, principally in Missouri. In 1864, he re-enlisted, this time becoming a member of Company I, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and serving for five months, during which time he participated in the battle of Memphis and many smaller engagements. Returning to Illinois, he made that state his home until the fall of 1872, when he came to York county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead on section 4, Morton township. The following year he located thereon, and in 1874 erected a frame house into which he moved his family. To the cultivation and improvement of his land he at once turned his attention, and in his farming operations has met with excellent success, now owning six hundred acres of rich and arable land under a high state of cultivation. He has erected thereon one of the best sets of farm buildings to be found in the township, and in fact the place is one of the model farms of the county. In connection with general farming he is also interested in stock raising and finds this branch of his business quite profitable. On November 20, 1864, in Illinois, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Myrick and Miss Celestia P. Dickey, a daughter of James and Laura (Russell) Dickey, natives of Ohio. Her father now makes his home in York county, Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Myrick have a family of five daughters, namely: Mary L., wife of S. Thomas; Myra G., wife of Ed Borden; Mora O., wife of J. Schultz; Meta D., wife of Clyde Stewart; and Mina I.

      Mr. Myrick takes quite an active interest in fraternal matters and is a prominent member of the Grand Army of the Republic, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Modern Brotherhood of America, the Degree of Honor, and the Home Forum. In political sentiment he is an ardent Republican, and has most capably filled the offices of justice of the peace, town clerk for three terms, and assessor for two terms. His energy and industry are proverbial, and he is a man who has beeen (sic) instrumental in promoting the progress and prosperity of the county. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM O. BACKLUND.--Prominent among the early settlers of Polk county, who have witnessed the marvelous development of this section of the state during the past quarter of a century, and who have, by honest toil and industry, succeeded in acquiring a competence, is the gentleman whose name introduces this sketch. He owns and operates an excellent farm on section 4, township 13, range 2. His father, Andrew Backlund, was born in Ockelbo, Yestrikland, Sweden, in 1827, and in that country married Miss Margaretta Shostrom, who was born in Yestrikiand, in 1830. In 1856 they emigrated to the United States and located in Knox county, Illinois, where the father worked as a farm hand for a few years. Purchasing a horse, he and another man, who also owned one horse, rented a farm and in partnership conducted it for a time. Afterward he rented a farm alone for five years, and then purchased a tract of eighty acres in Knox county, of a Mr. Rhodes, making his home upon that place for seven years. Selling his farm he came to Polk county, Nebraska, in 1871, and bought the south half of section 5, township 13, range 2, but did not bring his family to their new home until the 10th of April, 1873. They arrived just two days before the great snow storm of that year. The horses, which had been left outside tied to the wagon were covered with sleet and snow, and were afterward crowded into George Matson's stable, three in a stall, with no hay. The family endured many



hardships and privations during those early pioneer days. On coming here they traveled from Columbus to Mr. Matson's home, a distance of thirty miles, after dark. Upon the north half of the northwest quarter of section 4, Andrew Backlund built a frame barn, which he divided into two rooms, keeping the horses in the east half, while he and his family occupied the west half and slept in the loft. In May they began the erection of a house, hauling all the lumber from Seward, a distance of forty miles. This dwelling is still the home of our subject, but the barn was destroyed by lightning in March 1884. The first year of his residence here the father broke twenty acres of his land and raised a small crop of oats and sod corn; the following year raised four hundred bushels of wheat, but the grasshoppers destroyed all his corn. Upon this place the father lived until 1889, and alter making his home for one year with his children, he removed to Stromsburg, having traded some property in California for property in that place. He died there February 26, 1892, and his widow is still a resident of Stromsburg. They were earnest and faithful members of the Baptist church, in which he served as deacon for many years.

      The subject of this sketch is the second in order of birth in the family of four children, the others being as follows: Carrie is the wife of John Holmquist, of Stromsburg, and has four children; Nellie, wife of Emil Carlson; Lucinda; Ernest and Lulu. Helen is the wife of Joseph Carlson, of township 13, Polk county, and has six children -- Lenora, William, Isadore, Ollie, Grant and Erma. Rebecca is the wife of Rev. Charles J. Almquist, of Arthur, Iowa, and they have an adopted daughter Esther.

      William O. Backlund was born in Wetmore, Knox county, Illinois, January 20, 1859, and obtained the greater part of his education in that state, though he pursued his studies for a short time in a dark and dismal sod school-house in Polk county after coming to this state. He was married, January 27, 1885, to Miss Ida C. Adamson, a native of Sweden, and they have become the parents of five children: Alvin L., Leonard E., Theodore W., Elvira C. and Victor F.

      For four years after his. marriage Mr. Backlund rented his father's farm, on section 4, and then returned to the old homestead where he still continued to reside. He now owns two hundred acres, all under cultivation with exception of forty acres, and improved with good and substantial buildings. For six years he has been interested in stock raising, and now has a fine herd of nineteen head of thoroughbred shorthorn cattle. He is a member of the Scandinavian Mutual Insurance Company, of Polk county, and for a time was district manager of the same society in Hamilton county. Originally he was a Republican in politics, but now gives his support to the principles of the Prohibition party, and he and his wife are leading members of and active workers in the Swedish Baptist Church at Stromsburg, of which he is now serving as trustee. For six years Mr. Backlund has been a member of the school-board in district No. 6, was treasurer of the same and has also been road overseer in his precinct. As a citizen, friend and neighbor he is true to every duty, and justly merits the esteem in which he is held. 

Letter/label or barUGUST C. JUNGE is one of the prominent agriculturists of Thayer township, York county, Nebraska. The estate which he occupies is located on section 20, and consists of five hundred and forty acres of fine arable land. It presents a very fine appearance, being adorned with all the modern improvements, and is conducted strictly on modern and scientific principles



of agriculture. Mr. Junge came to Thayer township at a very early day, and has been actively engaged in furthering any project that would promote the growth of development of the resources of the county.

      Mr. Junge is a son of John H. and Christina (Kohlmyer) Junge, who were both natives of Germany. The father followed agricultural pursuits during life, though both he and his wife are now dead. Mr. Junge, the subject of this sketch, was born in Hanover, Germany in 1840. He received his education in the land of his birth, and worked at home with his father until 1866, when he served for a short time in the German Army, during the Franco-Prussian war. In 1867 he emigrated to America, landed at New York, and came direct to Cook county, Illinois, from whence he proceeded to Rock Island county, where some of his relatives resided. He made that place his home for five years, following general farming as a means of livelihood, both as a laborer and a renter. In 1872 he located in York county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead on section 20, of Thayer township. He is now the proprietor of one of the finest farms in the county, which contains five hundred and forty acres of fine land. When Mr. Junge took possession of his property he built a sod house, in which he lived for six years, when he erected a more commodious dwelling.

      Mr. Junge was wedded in 1868, to Miss Dorothea Conrad, who was a native of Prussia, Germany and a daughter of Godfred and Dorothy (Betcher) Conrad. She came to the United States in 1868 with her parents. They brought in all four children with them, two sons arid two daughters, and they first located in Ilinois (sic), where they resided four years. In 1872 they removed to York county, Nebraska, where they took up a homestead, upon which they made their home until 1884. In 1894 Mrs. Conrad removed to Bates county, Missouri, where she now lives in company with one son, her husband having died in 1884.

      Mr. and Mrs. Junge are the parents of ten children, of whom we have the following record: William, Louis, August W., Mary S., now Mrs. Hoffman, Henry G., Albert N., Anna P. A., Godfred J., John A. O., and Carl Edward, all of whom are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Junge are members in good standing of the German Lutheran church. He is a firm believer in the principles of the Republican party, and served four years as road supervisor. He has been very successful in his life work, and is now enjoying the fruits of his labor, surrounded by his happy family, for whom he has provided a good home. He is well known and highly respected by all for his genial and pleasant manner. 

Letter/label or barOBERT N. McGINNIS, deceased, was one of the pioneer settlers of York county, and an honored veteran of the war of the Rebellion. In the hour of his country's peril he went forth to do battle for the starry banner and the cause it represented, and in times of peace was alike faithful to his duties of citizenship. In business circles he was esteemed for his honesty and in social life his genuine worth won him the high regard of all with whom he was associated.

      Mr. McGinnis was a native of Champaign county, Ohio, born on the 9th of January, 1833, and was a son of Thomas and Lydia (Stevens) McGinnis, both of whom were natives of Kentucky, whence they removed to the Buckeye state. The father, however, spent his last days in York county, Nebraska. The subject of this memoir was reared and educated in the state of his nativity and throughout his entire life followed the occupation of farming. During the Civil war, prompted by a spirit of pat-



riotism, he offered his services to the government, enlisting in 1861 as a member of Company F, Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which command he served for three years. He participated in many important engagements, including the battles of Fort Donelson, Shilo, Stone river, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, the siege of Atlanta and was with Sherman on the celebrated march to the sea. Although he saw much arduous service he escaped without wounds, and with an honorable military record returned to his Ohio home.

      In 1867 Mr. McGinnis removed to Logan county, Illinois, where he carried on agricultural pursuits until the spring of 1872,--the date of his arrival in York county. He was one of the first settlers of Arborville township and from that time until his death took a very active and important part in its development and advancement. He secured a homestead on section 20 and for several years resided in a sod house. Acre after acre of his farm was placed under the plow until his property became one of the most valuable and desirable farms in the entire country and gave evidence of the thrift and enterprise of the owner, who was numbered among the most progressive agriculturists of the region. His life was a busy and useful one and he belonged to that class of energetic, wide-awake men to whom the advancement of a community is always due.

      In 1856, in Ohio, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. McGinnis and Miss Caroline Dorsey. They became the parents of seven children: Hannah C., Cynthia A., Thomas S., Charles S., Martha N., Ira B. and Harley A. Mr. McGinnis was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which his widow also belongs. He continued his association with his old army comrades through his membership in the Grand Army of the Republic, and gave his political support to the Republican party, but never sought or desired the honors or emoluments of public office. His business interests were managed with care, and his industry, straightforward dealing and keen discrimination brought to him a very comfortable competence. He passed away in 1893 and all who knew him mourned the loss of one whom they had learned to respect and esteem. 

Letter/label or barON. JOHN B. MITCHELL, a real estate and insurance agent of Milford, Nebraska, is one of the leaders of the Democratic party in his section, his large acquaintance and unbounded popularity giving him an influential following, while his shrewd judgment of men and affairs make his counsel of value in all important movements. In business circles he also takes a foremost rank.

      Mr. Mitchell was born in Preble county, Ohio, in 1827, a son of Robert and Louisa Mitchell, who were of Scotch and Irish descent, and soon after the war of 1812 removed from Virginia to Ohio. Our subject's early life was spent upon a farm, but he was provided with more than ordinary educational advantages, attending first the public schools, and later a select school in Cambridge, Indiana. Subsequently he also took a course of lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago. He was married in Ohio, in 1847, to Miss Alciania Hawley, of New York state, a daughter of John C. and Elizabeth (Heath) Hawley. The mother was a descendant of Lord Heath, of England. Four children grace this union: Jeannette and Alice, both born in Ohio; and Albert R. and Emma, born in Illinois. The only son is now a prominent physician of Lincoln, Nebraska.

     In 1855, Mr. Mitchell removed to Henry county, Illinois, where he soon became widely and favorably known. There he enlisted, in 1862, in Company C, One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry,

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller