NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



and operated it for three years. He then returned to Illinois, but in 1891 again moved to York county, Nebraska. This time he located in the city of York and opened a livery business, which he has since conducted. In 1897 he was nominated by the Democratic and People's parties for the office of sheriff of York county, to which he was elected and is now ably performing the duties of that office in connection with his livery business. He is a gentleman of the highest character and possesses a wide knowledge of men and the world, and no man has taken a more prominent place in general matters than has the subject of our sketch. He has interested himself heartily in all matters pertaining to the building up of the city in which he lives and of the entire county.

      Mr. Lancaster was married in 1881 to Miss Ellen Huff, also a native of Adams county, Illinois, and their wedded life has been blessed by the presence of three sons and one daughter, whose names in the order of birth are as follows: Jesse S., William R., Carl E. and Geraldine Isabell. Mr. Lancaster is a member of the Masonic fraternity and also of the Modern Woodmen of America. 

Letter/label or barEONARD A. JOHNSON is one of the most energetic and enterprising agriculturists of Linwood township, Butler county, where he operates a good farm on section 5. He is a worthy representative of one of the prominent pioneer families of the county, being a son of A. G. L. and Ann (Bracken) Johnson, natives of Sweden and Ireland, respectively, whose sketch appears on another page of this work. For a number of years they made their home in Illinois, but in 1871 emigrated to Nebraska, and have since been numbered among the honered and highly respected citizens of Butler county, their farm being on section 6, Linwood township. Our subject is the oldest of their seven children, the others being Seward, Henry, who is studying law, Lena, Dwight, and Harvey and Howard, who are preparing to enter the Christian ministry. The mother died in September, 1896, and her remains were interred in the Edholdm cemetery.

     Our subject was born in Winnebago county, Illinois, in 1858, and at the age of thirteen years accompanied his parents on their removal to Nebraska. He obtained a fair common school education during his boyhood and youth, and also secured an excellent knowledge of farm work under the able direction of his father, soon becoming a thorough and skillful agriculturist. Since starting out in life for himself, he has engaged in the pursuit to which he was reared. On attaining to man's estate Mr. Johnson married Miss Edith Sanders, a daughter of Elijah Sanders, one of the old settlers of Butler county, whose homestead is in Skull creek township. To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have been born five children, namely: Arelia, Floyd, Una, Lester and Lawson. The parents hold membership in the Christian church, and socially, Mr. Johnson is identified with the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In politics he is a Republican but never sought or filled office. 

Letter/label or bar. G. BOGART is one of the self-made men of York county, who by his own efforts has risen from a humble position to stand among the leading and enterprising merchants of his adopted county. He is one of Nebraskas' pioneers, having located in Seward county, when the work of progress and improvement was but in its infancy there. He came from the far east to this state, his birth having occurred in Colchester, Delaware county, New York, November 3, 1836, his parents being William and Martha (Thompson) Bogart,



both of whom were natives of Germany. The father, who was born in 1795, came to the United States in 1818, and died in 1879. The mother passed away in 1864. William Bogart was a lumberman and followed that calling throughout his entire life. He also cleared a farm in New York, but his attention was principally given to the lumber business, which he carried on in Delaware county until his labors were ended in an eternal rest. He had eleven children, six sons and five daughters, and with the exception of the eldest two all are yet living.

      In the county of his nativity A. G. Bogart was reared to manhood, giving his father the benefit of his services until 1862, when he joined the army as a defender of the Union, enlisting as a member of the Eighth New York Independent Battery. He served for three years, eight months and eighteen days and participated in the first battle of Bull Run, the engagements at Yorktown, Millersburg, Petersburg and numerous skirmishes. He was very fortunate in that he was never wounded or taken prisoner, but was always found at his post of duty, faithfully defending the old flag and the cause it represented. He also had five brothers in the service.

      On the close of the war Mr. Bogart returned to his home, and remained in New York until 1867, when he removed to Lancaster county, Nebraska. A year later he went to Seward county, purchasing a claim on section 14, township 10, range 2 east. There he resided for eleven years, actively engaged in farming, and on the expiration of that period he went to Beatrice, Gage county, Nebraska, where he continued for three years. In 1872 located in Waco, York county, where he opened a grocery and implement business, conducting the same with fair success until 1887, when he came to Benedict. For four years thereafter he conducted a hotel, and then opened the meat market-his present-line of business.

      He is fair and honorable in his dealings, prompt and reliable, courteous to his patrons, and is now enjoying an excellent trade, of which he is well deserving.

      In May, 1858, Mr. Bogart was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Tiffany, a native of Delaware county, New York, and a daughter of Ezekiel and Nancy (McIntyre) Tiffany, both now deceased, their last days having been spent in Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Bogart now have two children, Etta A., wife of J. C. Medcalf, a resident of Blue Ridge, Georgia; and Una M., wife of S. P. Stricker, of Benedict. Mr. Bogart is an esteemed member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and in politics is a Republican, but the honors and emoluments of office have no attraction for him, as he prefers to give his attention to his business interests. His life has been a busy and useful one, and his success is the legitimate result of his own well directed efforts. 

Letter/label or barON. C. J. WRIGHT, who has an extensive and well managed farm near Bee, is one of the leading men of Seward county, and may justly be described as an enlightened and progressive representative of the agricultural interests of Nebraska. He is a practical farmer, familiar with all the problems of rural life, awake to the perils that confront the tillers of the soil, and determined as far as his influence extends to defeat the plots and schemes of those who would fatten on the labor of honest men. He has a pleasant address, an impressive presence, and sustains a high reputation as a man of honesty, ability and candor.

      Mr. Wright was born in Portage county, Ohio, August 26, 1834, and is a son of George R. and Minerva (Hallock) Wright. His father was a native of New York and his mother of Connecticut. His grandfather was Captain Jonathan Wright, who came to the colonies from England in 1760.



Picture button




He fought in the Indian wars that preceded the Revolution, and in that great struggle bore an honored part under the immediate command of General Washington. He served seven years, receiving only one wound (in the leg), and died in 1840, full of years and honor.

      George R. Wright was a farmer, and came to Ohio in 1817, when fifteen years of age. He made his home in that state for many years. He was married in that state, and moved to Indiana in 1861. From there he journeyed to Iowa, but returned to Indiana, where he died in 1871. He was the father of five sons and four daughters, and was a man of established integrity.

      The subject of this biographical history was educated in Ohio, where he attended high school, and taught school for five years after his own school-days were ended. He became interested in photography, mastered its details, and took it up as a business. He owned and operated a studio for some years. In 1861 he felt the need of a more open life, and bought a farm near Plymouth, Indiana. In that state he was also the owner and manager of a saw mill, which he conducted in connection with his farming operations, and for seven years was an exceedingly busy man. He joined the county "regulators," and greatly assisted in the suppression of horse stealing. He was justice of the peace for eight years, and had a wide reputation as a friend of order and right.

      Mr. Wright made his first appearance in Seward county in September, 1879, when he bought the farm he now occupies. A full section of land under his careful supervision has become one of the most profitable pieces of property in all this region. It is known as a model Nebraska "ranch." He makes an extensive business of buying and feeding stock, and sends out every year many cars of fine native cattle for the eastern markets. His upright character, manifest ability and public spirit could not long escape the recognition of his own community, and in 1887 he was elected as a senator to the general assembly of the state. He served with distinction, but not being able to follow the kaleidoscopic changes of Nebraska politics, he has not taken a very active part in public affairs of late years. He is independent in his views, and has no very lofty opinion of party machinery and management.

      Mr. Wright and Miss Elizabeth Church were married January 1, 1856, at Winterset, Iowa, and the union has proved a most fortunate and happy one. She is an accomplished lady of social talents and has proved a decided helpmeet to her husband. They are the parents of three children, Edgar C., Etta (now Mrs. Terwilliger) and General M. There has been no break in the family circle, and parents and children have kept close together. The husband and father is a genial gentleman, of attractive personal qualities, and is a member of the Masonic order in good standing. In connection with this sketch is presented a portrait of Mr. Wright. 

Letter/label or barARL SYNDER, who is finding a pleasant resting place for the last years of a busy life on section 13, precinct E, Seward county, takes high rank among the many thousand earnest and capable men who have come from Germany seeking homes on this western continent. He is intelligent and broadly educated, has had a wide experience among men and is a veteran soldier of the Prussian army.

      Mr. Synder was born in Prussian Saxony, May 10, 1841, and grew to manhood under the parental roof. He had good schooling, and was educated after the solid and sensible manner of his countrymen. He was bred to the trade or a blacksmith, and it furnished him for many years remunerative



employment. In 1861 he was called into the Prussian army, and served as a private soldier for three years. In 1866 he was called out with the reserves and for six months was in garrison duty in the city of Berlin. He traveled over Germany during the sixties, and worked at his trade in many different localities. The old world did not appear friendly enough to a young man of brains and energy and but little money, and he determined to seek a wider and broader field on the continent of North America, and in 1868 he crossed the ocean, landing in the city of New York on the first day of August. He did not remain long in the Atlantic metropolis, but speedily journeyed to Rock Island, Illinois, where he found employment at his trade. He was engaged in that region for several years, but more and more his thoughts turned towards an agricultural life as the ideal career for him, and he came to this state in 1871 with the hope of realizing that ideal. He pre-empted a quarter section in Butler county, but it proved an unpromising venture, and after about a year of a dugout, and other pioneer experiences, he sold his claim for forty dollars, and made a homestead entry of the south half of the southwest quarter of section 18, of precinct F. He put up a modest structure and lived there until 1880.

      In 1873 he bought the land where he now lives. It was railroad land, and has proved a paying investment. That year he had a yoke of oxen and a span of horses, and broke up one hundred and thirty acres, from which he harvested a thousand bushels of wheat the following year. Had not the grasshoppers been peculiarly vicious that summer he would have had a much larger yield. He has kept close to the soil, given much thought and labor to its cultivation, and as a farmer has been remarkably successful. He owns over four hundred acres of well improved land, which he devotes to general farming, though he leans towards Poland China swine, of which he has two hundred and fifty on the place.

      Mr. Synder has been twice married, and is the father of two children, Emma and Willie, by his first wife, and three children, Ella, Anna and Bertha, by his second wife. These ladies are both dead, and he is living a widower. From a child he has been a Lutheran, and on the soil of Nebraska he does not forget his early teaching. In former years he has affiliated with the Democratic party but is now a Populist. He was the first school director in precinct F, and maintained a deep interest in the cause of education. 

Letter/label or barENRY HARRINGTON. --Foremost among the prominent agriculturists of York County, Nebraska, is the gentleman whose name heads this article. He is comfortably situated on a profitable and well improved farm, which adjoins the town of Benedict, in Morton township. He is one of the representative farmers and stock raisers of the county, and has been a conspicuous figure in the development of these great industries in the vicinity. He was born in Adams county, Illinois, in 1837, and is a son of Harry and Pamelia (Keith) Harrington, who were both natives of New York. The father was one of the early settlers of Illinois, having first located in the state in 1825. He took up his residence in Nebraska in 1881, and remained there until his death, which occurred in 1888. His wife died in 1849, in Michigan, where the family had moved. They were the parents of eight children, five sons and three daughters.

      Henry Harrington was reared and educated in Illinois, where he attended the log school-houses. He started early in life to learn the occupation of a farmer, which he followed until the breaking out of the war. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and



served for three months, when he was discharged. He then re-enlisted in the same company and regiment, and participated in the following engagements: The capture of Forts Henry and Donelson, and during the fight which occurred before the latter our subject received a slight wound. While campaigning in Kentucky he had the misfortune to fall into the hands of the enemy, by whom he was held as a prisoner for forty days, and in the battle of Shiloh he was shot through the leg, which necessitated his discharge. As soon as he recovered sufficiently he joined his regiment at Kenesaw Mountain and took part in the fight at that place. He then was engaged in many skirmishes and battles in and around Atlanta, and at the termination of that memorable siege the regiment of which our subject was a member started with Sherman on that "famous march to the sea," and he was engaged in all the battles of the campaign, even including Altoona Pass. He took part in the grand review at Washington, D. C., and was mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky, after having spent four years in the service of his country.

      After the close of the war Mr. Harrington returned to Illinois, and followed agricultural pursuits in that state until 1880, when he came to York county, Nebraska, and purchased a quarter section of railroad land adjoining the town of Benedict, one half of which was located on his farm. He is now the owner of 335 acres of farm land, and also owns part of the town. When Mr. Harrington bought the land it was all raw prairie, but by steady application, and many hours of hard labor, he has succeeded in bringing the same to a high state of cultivation. The farm is well improved and given over to general farming and stockraising, which our subject has followed with unparalleled success, until he has become one of the most substantial men of the township.

      Mr. Harrington was married December 5, 1868, to Miss Mary A. Worsley, a daughter of Joseph and Esther (Crandall) Worsley. The bride's parents were natives of Ohio and Connecticut, who settled in Illinois in a very early day, where they now reside, at Mendota, the father having attained the age of eighty. Mr. and Mrs. Harrington are the parents of twelve children, to whom they have given the following names: Julia M., who is now Mrs. Stockman; Fay W.; Fred A.; Henry P.; Minnie M., now Mrs. James Lewis; Grace C.; Angie B.; Joseph M.; Genevieve E.; Bessie F. and Jessie G., who are twins; and Alfred C. All the members of this bright and interesting family are still living.

      Mr. Harrington is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and politically he is a Republican, but has never sought office. He possesses many estimable traits of character, and is endowed with a good capacity for well directed labor, which have placed him in the front rank of the agricultural element of this vicinity. He is keenly alive to the interests of the community, and does all in his power to raise and elevate the general welfare of the people of his township. 

Letter/label or bar. LEATHERBURY, a prominent farmer and representative citizen residing on the east half of the southeast quarter of section 6, township 13, range 1, Polk county, is a native of Indiana, born in Switzerland county, February 19, 1842, and is the only child born of the union of Stephen and Ann (Lee) Leatherbury, also natives of that county. His paternal grandfather, Charles Leatherbury, was one of the very earliest settlers of Indiana, and the maternal grandfather also located in Switzerland county, when the Indians were far more numerous than the white settlers. Both reared their families there and took an



active part in the early development of that region. The parents of our subject lived on the old homestead in the Hoosier State, the father operating the same until his death, which occurred in 1841, a short time prior to the birth of his son. His widow subsequently married John Tague, by whom she had six children, three still living: Mrs. Elizabeth Carpenter, a resident of York, Nebraska; Samuel, who still lives on the old home farm in Indiana; and James, of Marysville, Ohio. The parents of these children are both now deceased, the mother dying in 1871.

      The subject of this sketch remained on the home farm with his mother and stepfather until he had reached man's estate, and for one year before the war he engaged in farming on his own account. Laying aside all personal interest, he enlisted July 9, 1861, in Company F, Twenty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was first sent to St. Louis and later to Jefferson City, Missouri, under Col. Jeff. C. Davis. From there they proceeded to Glasgow, Missouri, and then returned to Jefferson City, whence they went to Sedalia and Springfield, that state. They participated in the battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas, the siege of Corinth, the engagements at Louisville, Kentucky, Champion Hills, Nolenville, Tennessee, Stone River, Liberty Gap, Tennessee, Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge, Tunnel Hill, Georgia, Resaca, Rome, Dallas, Big Shanty and Kenesaw Mountain. On the 5th of July, 1864, the regiment went into camp within seven miles of Atlanta. The following day there was a call for water among the boys in blue and Mr. Leatherbury volunteered to fill the canteens at a spring about one hundred and fifty yards in front of the line and under full control of the Confederate sharpshooters, which made the mission a dangerous one. Gathering up a dozen of the empty canteens from his comrades, he slung them over his shoulder and started on his errand. He reached the spring in safety, filled the canteens and started back, but had only proceeded half way when "crack" went the rifle of a sharpshooter, and the bullet passed through his thigh, glancing the bone. He did not falter, however, and on reaching his company called to Lieut. John H. Roberts to assist him over the breastworks, telling him he was wounded. The Lieutenant responded, and after getting him inside asked why he did not limp. Our subject replied: "I did not want the to know he had hit me." The surgeon was called at once, and while dressing the wound remarked: "Leatherbury, this is a nice little furlough for you." He was sent to the hospital at Big Shanty, then to Chattanooga, later to Nashville, Tennessee, Louisville, Jeffersonville, New York City, Hilton Head, South Carolina, and Wilmington, North Carolina, rejoining his regiment at Goldsboro, North Carolina, in March, 1865. He was at that place when Joseph E. Johnston surrendered, then marched to Washington, District of Columbia, by way of Richmond, and participated in the grand review. He then proceeded to Louisville, Kentucky, and at Indianapolis, Indiana, was mustered out, July 24, 1865. He had re-enlisted February 4, 1864, was promoted to the rank of corporal July 12, 1865, and as such was mustered out.

      At the close of the war, Mr. Leatherbury returned to his home in Indiana, where he remained until he was married September 6, 1866, to Miss Carrie E. Brown, who was born in Switzerland county, that state, August 25, 1846. Her parents, David and Sarah (Gibbs) Brown, were natives of Vermont and Canada, respectively, and had lived at Walnut Hills, Cincinnati, Ohio, when that city was a mere village. They were early settlers of Indiana, as was also the maternal grandfather, John Gibbs, who at one time was nearly killed by the Indians.



      Mr. Brown died in that state March 16, 1861, and his wife May 18, 1875. They were the parents of fourteen children, nine of whom reached man and womanhood, namely: Margaret, who died July 19, 1897; James, deceased; Hiram, a resident of Kentucky; Huldah, of Rossville, Illinois: John, of Custer county, Nebraska; Francis Marion, of Indiana; Benjamin Franklin, of Osceola, Nebraska; Mrs. Leatherbury; and William, of Sugar Branch, Indiana. Of these, Francis M. and Benjamin F., twins, were soldiers of the Civil war.

      On the 21st of October, 1875, Mr. and Mrs. Leatherbury landed in Polk county, Nebraska, and located upon their present farm. The first few years passed here were filled with hardships; their little sod house, which had been a stable, had no floor and only a hay roof; the furniture consisted of boxes for chairs, a box and barrel, with a couple of boards laid across them, made the table, and the other articles were a bedstead and stove. They raised nothing the first season, and their food consisted principally of bran bread, potatoes and onions. Their live stock consisted of a team of horses, but no cows. Ten acres of the farm had already been broken, but the first crop planted was destroyed by the grasshoppers. With characteristic energy, however, Mr. Leatherbury labored untiringly, and was ably assisted by his wife, who often worked with him in the fields. In 1875, while using a borrowed seeder in planting his grain, his wounded leg would often give out, and then Mrs. Leatherbury would mount the seeder and drive the team day after day. Prosperity at length crowned their efforts, and to-day they own three hundred and twenty acres of excellent land, of which two hundred and twenty acres are under cultivation and well improved. After living in the sod house for ten years, the roof blew off, and in 1886 they erected their present fine two-story residence. In connection with general farming, Mr. Leatherbury is engaged in stock raising, having upon his place a drove of one hundred and five hogs and forty-six head of cattle, including thirty-four milch cows, mostly jerseys.

      Having no children of their own, Mr. and Mrs. Leatherbury adopted a pair of twins, Delia and Della, who were born December 28, 1893, and have lived with them since thirty days old, being their heirs. Fraternally Mr. Leatherbury is an honored member of J. F. Reynolds Post, No. 26, G. A. R., of Osceola, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He has always been an ardent supporter of the Republican party, cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln, and has taken an active part in local political affairs, but has never aspired to office, serving only as a member of the school board and as treasurer of district No. 30. We have seen that he is a man of sterling worth in all the relations of life, and he and his estimable wife merit and receive the highest confidence and respect of the entire community. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM A. HATHAWAY, deceased.--As a representative of the intelligent and hardy pioneers who opened up Leroy township, York county, Nebraska, for settlement and took a conspicuous part in developing it, we are pleased to place in this volume a brief sketch of the life of the gentleman whose name stands at the head of this notice.

      Mr. Hathaway was born in New York state, July 19, 1828, and died in York county, Nebraska, November 7, 1897, honored and respected by all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance. His parents, Samuel and Martha (Bowerman) Hathaway, were both natives of Massachusetts, whence they removed to New York, and from there to Canada, where they spent their remaining days in the quiet pursuits of



farm life. In their family were five sons and one daughter, all of whom are now deceased with the exception of two.

      In the schools of Canada, William A. Hathaway pursued his studies during his boyhood and youth. He continued to work for his father until twenty-three years of age, and then operated the home farm on his own account for three years. In 1854 he came to the United States and found employment as a farm laborer in Michigan, where he remained for some time. On leaving that state he removed to Macon, Illinois, where for seventeen years he made his home while he devoted his energies to agricultural pursuits. In the fall of 1870 we find him en route for York county, Nebraska, and on section 26, Leroy township, he secured a tract of wild prairie land, which he transformed into the beautiful farm now owned and occupied by his widow. His first home here was a log house, the timber for which was hauled from the Blue, and there the family made their home for many years, when a more commodious and modern residence was erected. After locating here Mr. Hathaway homesteaded a quarter section of land, so that at the time of his death he owned a valuable and highly improved farm of three hundred and twenty acres, on which he successfully engaged in general farming and stock raising.

      In Illinois, Mr., Hathaway was married March 18, 1856, to Miss Catherine Wheeler, a daughter of Charles and Mary (Wheeler) Wheeler, who were natives of Kentucky and Tennessee, respectively, but spent most of their life in Illinois, dying, however, in Iowa. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hathaway, namely: Minerva, Adeline, Samuel O., Joseph L., Noah E., Catherine, Gracie and Mattie. Those now deceased are the two eldest and the youngest son.

      Politically, Mr. Hathaway was always identified with the Republican party after its organziation (sic), and served his fellow citizens very acceptably in a number of township offices. He was widely and favorably known throughout York county, took an active and prominent part in promoting the welfare of his community, and his influence was great and always for good. His duties were performed with the greatest care, and throughout his life his personal honor and integrity were without blemish. 

Letter/label or barUGUSTUS F. ROBSON, an agriculturist of energy and ability residing in Thayer township, York county, is a native of England, born in Lincolnshire, January 7, 1848, a son of Thomas and Ann Robson, of whom more extended mention is made in the sketch of A. M. Robson on another page of this work. The paternal grandfather was steward in the Cambridge University, and the maternal grandfather was chief of police in his native town.

     The education of our subject was obtained in the common schools of his native land and also in the schools under the supervision of the Church of England. At the age of fourteen he was bound out to learn the machinist's trade, at which he served a seven years' apprenticeship, and then followed his trade in England for one year. In 1870 he and his brother crossed the ocean, and on landing in the United States went direct to Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he was employed by the Union Pacific Bridge Company in various capacities for two and a half years. Coming to York county, in 1871, he filed a claim to the land on which he now lives, but did not permanently locate here until the latter part of the following year, when he erected the first frame house in that section of the county, it being still his home. To the cultivation and improvement of his land he has devoted his entire time and attention, and now owns

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller