NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



dying in 1892. The two bought Lordsburg College for $30,000, which is now owned by David Kuns and the heirs of Henry, who, inherited an estate of $60,000, the result of $1,500 received by Henry Kuns when he was a young man. David Kuns is still living in California, and is a wealthy man, having a property that exceeds $150,000. Mrs. Caroline Kuns died in Illinois in 1890.

      David Kuns was early instructed in hard work, and when a mere lad assisted in clearing up the Indiana land, and cultivating the Illinois farm. He had a common-school education, and was thoroughly grounded in the wisdom of farm life. He was industrious and proved himself a good manager. When he reached manhood he was put in charge of one of his father's Illinois farms, and made a good start in life. In 1877 he made a trip to this county, and purchased an entire section of railroad land. The Blue river crosses it, and the extensive farm consists of rich bottom land. He paid for it $4,224 in cash, a transaction that called for all his resources. The following spring he made his home on it, and it was all raw prairie at that time. He built a small house of one room, and began breaking. As the years went by hard work and good management hegan (sic) to tell, and he now enjoys satisfaction in looking back upon a phenomenally successful career. He has since added to his possessions and now has eight hundred acres in a body, making one of the finest farms in the county. The season of 1898 showed three hundred acres in wheat, two hundred and fifty in corn, and fifty in other small grains. The balance of the farm is devoted to pasture. He deals extensively in stock, and in past years has made a considerable feature of feeding cattle. He feeds and ships to eastern markets, some years sending out as many as two hundred head. He is now much interested in draft horses.

      Mr. Kuns was married in 1875 to Miss Catherine Klinzman, a native of Pennsylvania. She was brought by her parents to Livingston county, Illinois, when but a child. Her father and mother, Christian and Minnie (Kratz) Klinzman, were natives of Germany and came to this country in 1853. They now reside on a farm near Des Moines, and are both advanced in years. Mr. and Mrs. Kuns are the parents of nine children--Charley, Harvey, Jesse, John, Edith, Raymond, Roy, Esther, and Nellie W. Mr. Kuns gives his children every possible advantage in education, and one son, Charley, has already been graduated from the business department of the Lincoln Normal School. He is a staunch Republican, and a man of the best reputation. He has become one of the most extensive real estate owners of the county, and has over eight hundred acres throughout the west in addition to his York county farm. 

Letter/label or barOHN H. ADEN, a well known and prosperous agriculturist, residing on section 32, Reading township, is one of the early settlers of Butler county. He was born in East Friesland, Germany, May 25, 1851, a son of Habbe L. and Töpke Aden, subjects of the German empire.

      In 1866, at the age of fifteen years, John H. Aden came to America. He located in Adams county. Illinois, but five years later determined to try his fortunes further west. Accordingly, in 1871, he moved to Nebraska, and after careful examination as to the probable resources of the locality, filed a homestead claim to a tract of land in section 32, Reading township, where he has since made his home. In those pioneer days he had but little money, and it was difficult to get any in that portion of Nebraska. He endured many hardships and privations in the early development and cultivation of his land, but he never wavered



in his determination, and by hard work, close attention to business, and clear judgment, he overcame all difficulties, and is to-day one of the most prosperous and prominent farmers in the county, his landed interests being large, his entire holdings comprising some four hundred and eighty acres of the finest lands in Butler county. His present residence was built in 1893 at a cost of fifteen hundred dollars, and the many improvements and conveniences with which he has enhanced his lands are the best evidence of thrift, enterprise, and good judgment that have made him prosperous.

      Our subject was married in 1881 to Ella Wiesemann, daughter of John Wiesemann. They are the parents of seven children--four boys and three girls- viz: John, Jr., Frederic, Habbe, Dewey, Mary, Töpke, and Paulina.

      In political sentiment Mr. Aden is a free-silver Democrat, and takes an active interest in the reform movement in political matters and especially in finances. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is one of strongest pillars of support in his community. 

Letter/label or barARTIN KULLMAN, a well-known farmer residing on section 21, I precinct, Seward county, has made for himself a home leagues and leagues from his birthplace in the Fatherland. Like hundreds of that class to whose efforts Nebraska owes so much for its development and prosperity, the subject of this history came to this section of the country armed only with his strong hands and willing heart, and the elements of character which descended to him from a line of honorable ancestry, conspicuous chiefly for its industry and thrift.

      Mr. Kullman was born in Germany, February 8, 1839, a son of Martin Luther and Mary (Paulsh) Kullman, who spent their entire lives in that country, the father dying there at the age of seventy-nine years, the mother at the age of seventy-eight years. Our subject was the older son in a family of four children, two sons and two daughters. At the age of six years he entered the common schools of his native land and there pursued his studies until fifteen. He was twenty at the time he entered, for three years, the German army, and after his discharge engaged in farming until he was twenty-seven, when he was drafted and served for six months in the war with Austria, where he saw terrible fighting and the butchery of humanity.

      In 1869, at the age of thirty years, Mr. Kullman led to the marriage altar Miss Anna Shuppan, who was born in Germany, December 23, 1834, and was also educated in the public schools of that country between the ages of six and fourteen years. She was one of the four children born to Martin and Anna (Kreuger) Shuppan, both of whom died and were buried in Germany. To Mr. and Mrs. Kullman were born nine children, but only four are now living and make their home in Seward county, Nebraska. Mary is the wife of Charles Kala; Anna is the wife of Ernst Juda; and Willie and Otto are at home.

      After his marriage Mr. Kullman continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until 1871, when he was again ordered out to fight for his country in the Franco-Prussian war, remaining in the service this time for six months. On his return to his family he renewed his farming operations, but in 1873 he and his family emigrated to America, leaving Bremen, and landing in New York on the 8th of May, after a voyage of fourteen days. He immediately proceeded to Lincoln, Nebraska, where he spent three years, and for five years he operated on a farm in Lancaster county, this state, for grain rent. At the end of that time he purchased his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres of railroad land in I precinct,



Seward county, for six dollars and fifty cents per acre, and has since given his time and attention to its improvement and cultivation with good success, making for himself and family a very nice and comfortable home.

     Both Mr. and Mrs. Kullman were confirmed in the Lutheran church at the age of fourteen years and still adhere to that faith. He cast his first presidential ballot for James A. Garfield, but at the present time is a supporter of the Democracy. 

Letter/label or barETER WIENS, M. D., a prominent young physician of Bradshaw, York county, comes from distant Russia, and the fact that he has won so honorable a standing, and is so influential a man in a strange country, shows a sterling manhood. Indeed, push and energy are characteristic of the man, and have done much to command success.

      Dr. Wiens was born September 3, 1867, in Russia, and is a son of Franz Wiens and Helena (Friesens) Wiens. They came to America when Peter was twelve years old, and settled in this county on the northwest quarter of section 5, township 10, range 4, west. Here he lived with his parents for eight years, and when he was twenty he became the head of a household, with Miss Elizabeth Regier as his matrimonial partner. She is a daughter of the Reverend John J. Regier, a preacher of the Mennonite Brethem church. In about a year from his marriage he purchased one hundred and twenty acres on section 34, in Bradshaw township, where he farmed for three years, when he decided to study theology. With this in view, he attended the German Baptist Theological academy, from which he graduated in three years. Becoming interested in scientific study, he was drawn towards the practice of medicine as his life work. He read and studied under the direction of a Rochester physician, R. A. von Allen. He spent a year in the Pulte Medical college, and was in the Cincinnati hospitals two hours a day. He was graduated from the Kansas City Homeopathic college in 1896, after an attendance of two years. He had the privilege of the city hospital, which amounted to actual practice under the critical eye of his instructors. He located in Jefferson county, where he spent a year in practice, but Bradshaw presented more attractions and he removed to this place, his old home, where his practice almost immediately assumed good proportions, and is steadily growing.

      Dr. Wiens and his wife have had six children, four of whom are now living. Their names are Maria, Peter Walter, Helena and Elizabeth. They are all attending the village public schools. The Doctor and his wife are members of the Mennonite Brethren, a division of the old church. He believes in every man deciding for himself the great political questions of the day, and thinks there is but little gained in excessive partisan excitement. 

Letter/label or barATHANIEL A. DEAN.--The world instinctively pays deference to the man who has risen above his early surroundings, overcome the obstacles in his path and reached a high position in the business world. Mr. Dean, by making the most of his opportunities, has met with due success in his business undertakings, and is now one of the leading real estate dealers of York, as well as one of the honored pioneers of York county.

      He is a native of Maryland, born in Alleghany county, January 29, 1850, and is a son of Levi and Rachel (Wright) Dean, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. From Maryland the father removed to Pennsylvania, and later to Ohio, where he enlisted, in 1863, in the Twenty-third



Ohio Volunteer Infantry, but after one year of faithful service on southern battle fields, he was honorably discharged for disability. For some time he served as veterinary surgeon. After the war he lived for a time in Illinois, but in 1867 became one of the pioneer settlers of York county, and was prominently identified with the early development and prosperity of this region. Here he followed farming until his death, which occurred in 1875. He had a family of twelve children, eight sons and four daughters, of whom six sons and three daughters are still living. The mother died in Pennsylvania, in 1897.

      Nathaniel A. Dean received his early school training in Pennsylvania, and at the age of sixteen entered the State Normal, of Iowa, where he completed his literary education. In 1868, he came to Nebraska, and after following farming in York county until 1886, he removed to the city of York, where for five years he engaged in merchandising, and has since been interested in the real estate business. Prosperity has crowned his efforts, and he is now one of the substantial citizens of that place.

      On the 25th of December, 1871, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Dean and Miss Belinda Heller, a resident of York county, and a native of Athens county, Ohio, and seven children have blessed the union, namely; William H., May I., Lula A., L. Eleanor, Richard, Annie and Earl. Mr. Dean and his family are active and prominent members of the United Brethern church, and since 1890 he has served as manager and treasurer of the United Brethren college. Socially he belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and the Home Forum, and politically is identified with the Republican party. He is now serving his second term as a member of the city council of York, and he has always faithfully discharged all duties devolving upon him either in public or private life. 

Letter/label or barIBERTY CLARK.--Wherever there is pioneer work to be done, men of energy and ability are required, and success or failure depends upon the degree of those qualities that is possessed. In wresting the land of Polk county from its native wilderness; in fitting it for the habitation of men; in developing the natural resources of the community in which they live, few if any have contributed more largely than Mr. Clark and the family to which he belongs, and it is meet and proper that for the arduous and important labor he has performed he should receive due reward. He now owns and occupies the old homestead on section 2, township 13, range 1, where the family located on first coming to the county.

      His father, James Clark, was a native of Gloucestershire, England, born in 1826, and when a boy was pressed into the British army, remaining in the service until nineteen years of age. With the army he came to Canada, and then deserted. He was married in that country, in 1850, to Miss Catharine Lezert, who was born near Toronto, in 1830, and in 1851 they came to the United Stats (sic), locating in Baraboo, Wisconsin, where he worked as a mechanic until about 1860, when he went to Missouri. After working at his trade in that state for a time, he crossed the plains to Pike's Peak, and during the five years he spent in the west, he built the first house in Cheyenne. He returned to Wisconsin, but in the spring of 1868 again started for the mountains with his family, having two wagons, one drawn by a yoke of oxen, the other by a single horse. They crossed from Iowa into Nebraska at Plattsmouth, thence to Ashland, where they struck the old freighter's trail, but leaving that proceeded to Lincoln, which at that time consisted of only a combination post office and general store, several small shanties and a number of tents. From there they went to the present site of Seward, intending to strike the



old steam wagon route, but Mr. Clark changed his mind and proceeded up the Blue river, with the intention of taking the old freighter's trail at the head of that stream.

      At the present site of Ulysses he met David Reed, an old ranchman and an Englishman by birth, who persuaded him to stay in this state, and on the tenth day of May, 1868, he and his family located upon the present farm of our subject in Polk county--the first white family to make settlement in Polk county. While he went to Nebraska City to get his land entered, his wife and children lived in a wagon. A sod shed was then built, it being open on the south side and covered with poles and dirt, but it served as their home for six months, while a log house was being erected covered with split ash poles and dirt. Although it had no floor and but one window and door, it served as their residence for several years. Cutting some timber from the place, Mr. Clark hauled it to Ulysses, where it was sawed into lumber and used in the erection of their first frame residence, which still stands near the present home of our subject. The father's cash capital on locating here amounted to only one hundred dollars, and the first season they raised nothing, though they broke some land. An Indian trail crossed the farm, and as the red men still inhabited this region, the boys of the family learned the Pawnee language and used to help the Indians trap beaver, otter, and mink on the Blue river. They also hunted buffalo, deer, antelope and wild turkeys, the buffaloes being old ones, who had been driven from the main herd by the younger ones. They annually went on buffalo hunts, but each year had to go farther and farther from home. They would bring nothing but the silken haired robes and the hind quarters, and by having the Indians do their tanning they saved $2.50 on each robe.

      The first years spent in Polk county were ones of hardships to the Clark family, the first year their food consisting principally of hominy made from sod corn. The father then left his wife and children on their new farm and again spent five years in the mountains. The second year they planted twenty acres of corn with a single shovel cultivator drawn by a single ox. Having no harness, they cut rawhide into strips for tugs, spliced two old horse collars together for their oxen, and made the rest of the harness out of wood. One boy led the ox while the other held the plow. Among other trials was the grasshopper plague. At the end of five years the father returned, and upon the home farm died February 21, 1875. The mother is still living and now makes her home in Shelby. He was a member of the first Methodist church organized in Polk connty (sic). Their children were Emanuel, now deceased; Liberty; Mrs. Catharine Dunning; George, who was killed by lightning in April, 1882; Mrs. Emma J. Ludden; and James.

      Liberty Clark was born May 11, 1855, at Mineral Point, Wisconsin, and was thirteen years of age when he came to Polk county. He attended the first school here, which was conducted in a dugout by J. A. Giffin, and has been prominently identified with the entire growth and development of this section of the state. He owns the old home farm comprising two hundred acres, all now under a high state of cultivation and well improved, his present comfortable residence having been erected in 1882.

      On the 23d of September, 1882, Mr. Clark married Miss Loma Kingsolver, who was born in Missouri, August 6, 1863, a daughter of Charles and Nancy (Holbrook) Kingsolver, also natives of that state, and the former of German descent. The father was a member of the Missouri Home Guards during the Civil war. Since 1881 he and his wife have made their home in



Polk county, Nebraska, and they are the parents of thirteen children, ten still living. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have six children: Ray Alpha, Charles Duane, Edwin Earl, Opal Myrtle, Ross L. and Verne. The parents are both members of the United Brethren church, of which Mr. Clark is now serving as trustee, and he also belongs to the Modern Woodmen Camp at Shelby. In politics he is independent, and has acceptably served as assessor of Hackberry precinct and a member of the school board of district No. 1. 

Letter/label or bar. B. CUMMINS, M. D., whose office and home are in Seward, Nebraska, is a physician and surgeon of wide repute. In a country where there is such scope for the play of professional ability, and where are to be found so many brainy and progressive practitioners, the naming of any one as first would be invidious. But it would not be unjust to say that Dr. Cummins stands among the very first of his profession. He is still a young man, but is thoroughly prepared for great work, and has established himself in the good opinion of the community.

      Dr. Cummins was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, March 28, 1859, and was a son of Martin B and Clara C. (Parkinson) Cummins. His father was a farmer and engaged in the tilling of the soil in Pennsylvania and in West Virginia until 1860, when he removed to Hardin county, Illinois. Four years later he came to Seward county, and was thus one of the very earliest settlers of this portion of the state. He passed through all the pioneer times, and made his home here until the day of his death, which was in 1895. He was the father of five sons and four daughters, and three of his sons are living in this county to-day, and here his wife still resides. The doctor was the fifth child, and had his early education in the Seward schools. In 1879 he began reading medicine in the office of Dr. Woodward and Dr. Beachley, and remained with them five years. During that time he attained quite a knowledge of the practice and was able to attend minor cases. In 1883 he entered the medical department of the State University, and was graduated in 1885. In 1897 he took a postgraduate course in the Chicago Clinical School of Physicians and Surgeons, and has an approved standing as a scientific and honorable physician, whose aim is to bring the very best methods of medical practice to the relief of his patients. He filled the chair of physiology, histology, and hygiene in the Cotner Medical college, at Lincoln, for seven years, and brought to his lectures much reading and close observation. He does a general practice, but gives especial attention to diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, and is considered authority in these particular departments.

      Dr. Cummins was married, in 1886, to Miss Jennie Ritchie. She was born in Illinois, and presides over her household with grace and dignity. They have two children, bright and charming lads, Herschel B. and Harry A. He is a member of the State Eclectic Medical society. He belongs to the national and county associations and was president of the state society in 1896. He is an Odd Fellow, a Knight 2f Pythias, and a Modern Woodman. He attends the Home Forum, and belongs to the order of Ben Hur, and in these various fraternities he is active and efficient. He is a Populist, and takes a decided interest in the administration of the party. He has been a member of the State Central committee, and has broad and enlightened views as to the future of his party. He has been a member of the board of education of the city of Seward, and has exerted a strong influence for the improvement of the schools, and a general educational uplift through



Picture button




out the county. The Doctor was appointed a member of the state board of health in 1898 and is now serving as such. His portrait is presented on another page. 

Letter/label or barORMAN B. WILL, a successful and genial pioneer settler of Arborville township, York county, was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, December 19, * and grew to manhood in the peaceful surroundings of that land of peace. It is also a land of rectitude and honor, and in his early days Mr. Will found enwrought in his disposition notions of right and truth and justice which he has never denied, and which have done much to make him the man of character and right he is. His parents were Hiram and Kisiah (Meese) Will. They were native to the state, and did their best to bring their children up to the level of the character the state somehow seemed body. The Wills were a distinguished family in the state for many years back. The grandfather of our subject was John Will, who was born in Pennsylvania, and died there at the age of ninety-four years. His father was an officer in the American army during the Revolution and was a man of character and decision in those stormy days. Hiram Will moved to Illinois in 1865, and settled in Dixon, where his home is still to be found. He was a farmer, and for many years did an extensive business in lumber.

      Norman B. Will was reared in his father's Pennsylvania home, and when he became old enough to take up the work of life, entered his father's lumber yard. In 1864 he enlisted in Company F, Sixty-first Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He was at the siege and capture of Petersburg, and participated in many smaller skirmishes in the Shenandoah Valley. He was present at the surrender of General Johnston's army, and witnessed the closing scenes in the great drama of the rebellion. When the war was over he went to Dixon, Illinois, and was there until 1869. At that time he removed to Iowa, and in 1873 came to this county, and took up a homestead on section 26, Arborville township, where we record him to-day. He built a sod house ix 16 feet, and made it his home for the next four years. He immediately began to improve the farm, and has it in fine condition. It is all under cultivation, and is devoted to a diversified system of agriculture.

      Mr. Will was married September 10, 1868, to Miss Alice Ferguson, a native of Illinois. Her father, Henry Ferguson, was born in Indiana, and her mother, Mary (Allen) Ferguson, was a native of New York. She is the mother of four children, all of whom are living. They are Jennie M., Grace K. (now Mrs. Edwin Clark), Calvin W., and Florence M. The family are members of the United Brethren church, and regarded as faithful and efficient in their religious associations. He belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic, and takes a deep interest in the fortunes of that patriotic institution. He votes the Republican ticket, but has never sought or accepted an office, outside of the school district. He has been school director and moderator, and regards it a sacred duty to do what he can for the welfare of the schools. He has done well since his coming to the county. He only brought seventy-five dollars with him, and now has a good home and farm, and is highly respected by all who know him. 
*No year of birth given.

Letter/label or barOHN WANKE, deceased, was for several 3 years a leading agriculturist of precinct J, Seward county, and one of its most highly respected and honored citizens. He was born in December, 1849, in Mecklenburg, Germany, and received a good practical education in the common schools of




his native land. His parents were John and Mary (Gressman) Wanke, in whose family were only two children, the younger being Frederick, who is now living in Fillmore county, Nebraska. The mother died when John was quite young and the father afterward married Miss Mary Boss, who is still living, but his death occurred in Fillmore county in 1895, when he was seventy-five years of age. The grandparents of our subject spent their entire lives in Germany.

      At an early day Mr. Wanke emigrated to America and took up his residence in Wisconsin, where he was married, on the 15th of September, 1868, to Miss Louisa Matzke, who was born in Prussia, Germany, May 8, 1849, and was only four years old when brought to the new world by her parents, Frederick and Regina (Streig) Matzke, who also located in Wisconsin. In their family were eleven children, nine of whom are still living, namely: William, Amelia, Elizabeth, Ferdinand and Mrs. Wanke all make their home in Nebraska; Mary, in Illinois; and Frank, Matilda and Augusta in Wisconsin. The father died October 4, 1891, at the age of seventy-one years, but the mother is still living at the age of seventy-six years and makes her home in Wisconsin. Mrs. Wanke's grandparents died when she was very young, after having spent their entire lives in the Fatherland.

      For five years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Wanke continued to reside in Wisconsin, and on leaving that state they came at once to Seward county, Nebraska, where they purchased one hundred and sixty acres of railroad land at seven dollars per acre. Later they bought an additional eighty acres, but have since sold the latter tract. To the cultivation and improvement of his farm Mr. Wanke devoted his energies with marked success until life's labors were ended, making a most comfortable home for his family and converting the wild land into highly productive fields. In his native land he was confirmed in the Lutheran church, but after coming to America, at the age of fourteen years, he united with the Evangelical Association, with which he was connected up to the time of his death, which occurred February 7, 1884, his remains being interred in the Seward county cemetery. He was a true and earnest Christian gentleman and had the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact either in business or private life. In politics he was a Republican.

     To Mr. and Mrs. Wanke were born seven children, as follows: C. Edward, George A., Edith, Julius, Dora, Laura and Daniel, all of whom still survive the father, and are still at home with the exception of Charles Edward, who is engaged in business in Milford, Nebraska; and Edith, who is now the wife of George Neff, of Lancaster county, this state.

     Mrs. Wanke was educated in the common schools of this country and has provided her children with good school privileges, so that they are now well fitted for life's responsible duties. Since her husband's death she has successfully managed the farm and has displayed remarkable business ability. She has watched with interest the development and progress of this section of the country during the last quarter of a century, and in connection with the other early settlers experienced all the hardships and privations of pioneer life. At the age of ten years she joined the Evangelical church, to which some of her children also belong, and she is an earnest Christian woman, beloved by all who know her. 

Letter/label or barANIEL GEORGE, who resides on section 28, Henderson township is one of the honored pioneers of York county, where he has made his home for almost a third of a century. He came here when the greater part


Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller