NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



descendant of Captain James Smith, better, known as Indian Jim, for whom our subject is named. He was born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, August 2, 1824, His father, William Marshall, a native of eastern Pennsylvania and a mechanic by trade, removed to Mercer county in early life, and was there married to Miss Nancy Bolton, of Harmony, Pennsylvania, a daughter of William Bolton. Our subject was the only child born to this union, his mother dying when he was quite small, but his father married again and he holds in kindly remembrance the affectionate care of his stepmother. In his native town he was reared to manhood, attending first the public schools, and later being a student in the Mercer academy. During his youth he drove canal boats and engaged in any occupation which he could secure, early gaining an enviable reputation for doing things well.

      In 1848, Mr. Marshall was married in Butler county, Pennsylvania, near the town of Harlansburg, to Miss Rebecca Emery, a daughter of William and Lydia (Harlan) Emery, who settled in northwestern Pennsylvania at an early day. The children born of this union in Pennsylvania are Parker, Charles, Elmer, Anna May, Lewis and Frank, while Minnie, the youngest, was born after the removal of the family to Nebraska. Parker married Nellie Upson and has one son, Emery. Charles married Ella Stewart and has four children--Howard, Vera, Edna and Leslie, Anna. May is the wife of Robert Johnson and they have one daughter, Ella. Minnie is now the wife of Logan Rogers and has one child, Hazel.

      During his residence in his native state, Mr. Marshall entered the service of his country during the war of the rebellion, as a member of Company D, One Hundred and Sixty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and when his term of enlistment expired was honorably discharged. In the spring of 1871 he emigrated to Butler county, Nebraska, and located on section 14, Union township, where he engaged in farming with marked success for some time. Subsequently he gave his attention to the mercantile business in Garrison, as a member of the firm of Marshall & Emery, his partner being his brother-in-law, William C. Emery, and they were among the pioneer business men of that thriving little village. Later he retired from the company, but in 1888 again entered the old firm, this time under the name of Marshall & Son. At the present time, however, he is practically living retired, although he still looks after his extensive real estate interests. For many years he was the land agent for J. G. Dodge, and his operations and sales along this line were very great. He is a most energetic, enterprising and reliable business man, whose success has been the result of honest persistent effort in the line of honorable and manly dealing. His aims have always been to attain the best and he carried forward to successful completion whatever he has undertaken. Reared a Whig, he joined the Republican party on its organization and has since been one of its strongest supporters, and he always gives his support to all measures which he believes calculated to prove of public benefit. He is a member of the G. A. R. post at David City--A. Lincoln post, No. 10. 

Letter/label or barAMES J. GILMORE, who resides inside the corporate limits of McCool junction, and is engaged in farming, is one of the pioneers of Nebraska, having located upon a farm in Saunders county, in 1869. He filed a claim to eighty acres of land at that time and saw the beginning of the career of the state as a great agricultural community. Lincoln at that early day was without railroad facilities and was a mere village. He put up a small frame house of three rooms,




and just as it was completed, it was blown away by a tornado. It was nothing to discourage him, a small thing like that, and he replaced it by another on the same lines, and then went back after his family in Hancock county, Illinois. He brought wife and two children, together with modest household effects, in a covered wagon across the country, arriving on the Saunders county farm, September 5, 1869. The two houses which he had built had cost him nearly five hundred dollars, as the lumber was very high, much of it having to be hauled from Plattsmouth, on the river. He had little money left for making a beginning in farming, but as he had learned the carpenter trade he worked at it for some months. Wages were good and his labor was in demand, and he was soon in a condition to make the needed improvements on his place. He put it in good shape, and sold it in 1883, for the purpose of securing a larger farm in this county, where land was much cheaper. He bought one hundred and sixty acres on section 13, Hays township, and here he has since lived. A portion of this land is inside the limits of McCool junction, and has been platted and put on the market. The village was laid out in 1887, and has rapidly grown in importance.

      Mr. Gilmore was born in New York, July 7, 1835, and is a son of Patrick and Nancy (Ellis) Gilmore, natives of Ireland, who came to this country when young, and were married in the metropolis of the western world. His mother died in 1842, and his father moved to Hancock county, Illinois, and engaged in fanning, where he died in 1863, being sixty-four years old. He was among the first settlers of that county, and there it was that James received a commonschool education in a log building, consisting largely of "the three R's,--reading, riting and 'rithmetic." He was married to Miss Rose Dougherty, July 20, 1863. She was a daughter of John and Winnifred Frances (Clark) Dougherty, who were born in Ireland, and emigrated to this country in 1847. Her father was a machinist, and worked in New York for some ten years. During that time he was sent to St. Louis, New Orleans, and other places to assist in installing machinery in steamboats, and other labor requiring dexterity and skill. He moved his family to Hancock county, where he still lives. Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore went to California, where he had previously spent four years. They spent two years on the Pacific shore, and then returned to Illinois. They did not long remain there, but soon came to this state, where they have led a prosperous career. They have five children: Frank (recently enlisted in Company H, Third Nebraska Volunteer Infantry), Anna (the wife of Charles Fravell, of Colorado), Nellie (wife of Henry Kelly, of Fairfield), John and Nellie. The two younger children are still at home. Mr. Gilmore is a Populist, and takes much interest in reform movements. 

Letter/label or barOSHUA D. P. SMALL, a leading and influential farmer who makes his home on section 10, Leroy township, York county, was born in Provincetown, Barnstable county, Massachusetts, on the point of Cape Cod, October 28, 1835, and is a son of James and Betsy (Cook) Small. His paternal grandfather, Abram Small, who removed from near Portland, Maine, to Provincetown at an early day, was a sea captain, as was also the Samuel Cook. Our maternal grandfather, subject's father also followed a sea-faring life for many years, was master of a vessel, and about 1843 was drowned, together with his two eldest sons, Joshue (1st) and James, the ship on which they sailed being wrecked. The wife and mother died not long afterward from a broken heart. Thus at the early age of nine years our subject was left an orphan,



and when about fourteen he, too, went to sea, engaging in whaling and mackerel fishing for about six years. Two of his younger brothers were also seamen and became captains of vessels.

      In 1855 Mr. Small quit the sea and removed to Bureau county, Illinois., but at the end of a year located in La Salle county, that state, where he engaged in farming until the spring of 1865, when he went to Livingston county, Illinois. There he operated rented land until the fall of 1872, when he started overland for Nebraskain a "prairie schooner," leaving Illinois October 28 and arriving in York county on November 23, driving a pair of three-year-old colts. He had shipped his household effects and his family also traveled by train. He immediately bought and located upon his present farm, which had been pre-empted by a Mr. Harris, and about twenty acres of the tract broken. To-day the entire farm, of one hundred and sixty acres, is under a high state of cultivation and well improved.

      In 1854 Mr. Small married Miss Aurelia F. Ryder, also a native of Provincetown, Massachusetts, and a daughter of Stephen and Susan (Case) Ryder, who were also born in that state. Four children bless this union: Wallace F., Ida S., Samuel C. and James F. His fellow citizens, recognizing his worth and ability, have frequently elected Mr. Small to public office, including the positions of township asseseor and justice of the peace, serving in the latter at the present time. In politics he is one of the leading Populists of York county, has been a member of the state executive committee and state central committee for several years, has been a delegate to all county and state conventions of his party, and was a delegate to the first national convention, where he assisted in the organization of the party. He has been a Mason since 1864 and is a charter member of York Lodge, No. 56, A. F. & A. M.

      Provincetown, Massachusetts, the birthplace of both Mr. and Mrs. Small, is a historic place. The Mayflower first anchored in Cape Cod harbor and the Pilgrims first went ashore at Provincetown, although they afterward. went to Plymouth Rock, about thirty miles west across the bay. Provincetown is also the birthplace of N. M. Dyer, captain of the protected cruiser Baltimore, and our subject is well acquainted with him, being boys together. An account of the successful action of the Baltimore at the Phillpine Islands, where our troops won such a glorious victory over the Spanish, was read with more than ordinary interest by Mr. Small on account of knowing one of the commanders who bore so important a part in that conflict. 

Letter/label or barHARLES H. JOHNSON, who is one of the model farmers of Fillmore county, was born in Morgan county, Ohio, June 11, 1865. He was reared upon a farm and received his education in the common schools of McConnellsville Ohio. He lived in Ohio until 1888, when he came to Indiana, but only stayed there a few years, and in 1891 he determined to come to the western states, as they offered a better opportunity for investing his money in farming land. With that object in view he came to Nebraska, and, being favorably impressed with the land in Fillmore county, he purchased four hundred acres of fine farming land in Stanton precinct, just one mile from Geneva, paying in consideration the sum of fourteen thousand dollars. Under his careful and successful management, the farm has grown into a model of its kind. The improvements are all made in accordance with modern ideas. The buildings are large and spacious, and erected with a view to convenience and durability, and on all sides one sees the results of careful management combined with thrift and industry.



      Charles H. Johnson was the son of William H. and Elizabeth (Newman) Johnson, who were married in Morgan county, Ohio, about 1857, and to whom were born five children: James, who died at the age of thirteen, Pearlie, Mary, Annie, and Charles H., the subject of this sketch. William H. Johnson was a prosperous and successful farmer, and during his life accumulated a considerable fortune. Both are dead, his death occurring December 29, 1878, and that of his wife in March, 1884. They were interred in Malta cemetery, in Morgan county, Ohio. At their death the estate passed into the hands of the four children. The grandparents of our subject, John Wesley Johnson and Elizabeth (Beckwith) Johnson, were natives of Connecticut, in which state they were married. They soon after came to Ohio, settling first in Muskingum county, but afterward locating on a farm near Malta, in Morgan county. They resided here until the time of their death. John Wesley Johnson died about the year 1828, and his wife the year following, each having attained the age of about fifty years. They were of English descent. The parents of Elizabeth (Newman) Johnson, David and Mary (Petitt) Newman, were natives of New Jersey. David Newman was born about the year 1800 and Elizabeth about 1805. The removed to Morgan county, Ohio, soon after their marriage, located on a farm and erected a house. They continued to reside there during the remainder of their lives. David Newman died at the age of eighty-eight years, and his wife at the age of seventynine. They were interred in the Malta cemetery. Both were of German descent.

      At the age of twenty-five years, Charles H. Johnson was married at McCool, Porter county, Indiana, on January 13, 1891, to Miss Olive M. Robbins, who was then twenty years of age. She was the only child of Amos and Laura E. (Stauffer) Robbins, and was born November 20, 1870.

      Her parents lived principally in Indiana, and were very prominent people, as well as very wealthy, and of whom Mrs. Johnson is the only heir. Her father's death occurred at McCool, Indiana, September 11, 1879, at the age of forty-seven years. Her mother still resides at McCool, Indiana, and has considerable property. The grandparents of Olive M. Johnson, were Samuel Putnam and Caroline C. Robbins, the former born in Massachusetts about 1812, the latter born in Athens county, Ohio, in 1815. They were married June 18, 1837, in Athens county, Ohio, and the same year emigrated to Porter county, Indiana, where they were among the earliest settlers. They lived on the farm on which they originally settled for fifty-two years and accumulated quite a fortune. Samuel Putnam Robbins died April 8, 1889, and his wife October 19, 1898. Abraham Stauffer was born in Pennsylvania about 1825, and his wife, Emily Brombaugh Stauffer, was born near Baltimore, Maryland, about 1828. They were married in Maryland about 1849 and emigrated to La Porte county, Indiana, the following year, and soon after to Porter county, Indiana, where they both died, Abraham's death occurring in March, 1887, and that of his wife on September 15, 1891. Both he and his wife rest in the Robbins cemetery near McCool, Indiana. He invented and built the first threshing machine used in Porter county, Indiana.

      Both Charles H. Johnson and his wife are very fortunate in that they came from representative families, who have always occupied a prominent position, and socially and financially ranked with the best. To their marriage have been born three children, Walter, Guy and Carlos, all of whom are living at home. Politically our subject is an ardent Republican. He cast his first ballot for Benjamin Harrison in 1888, and since that time has continued not only to



vote the Republican ticket but has taken an active part in Republican politics. While he has devoted his time in the interest of his chosen party, yet he has not allowed it to interfere with his business, and has had at all times his entire farm under his direct management. He occupies a prominent place in his community, and has won the respect of all. 

Letter/label or barALTER W. SENG has a wide reputatation (sic) as a real estate man and insurance agent at McCool Junction, Nebraska, where he handles farms and residences, does insurance and collections, and is practically without competition. He came to this city in 1890, and since that time has built up an extensive business, which is now thought to be the largest in the county. He represents companies that insure against fire, lightning, tornado and hail, and he is also the local agent for three loan companies beside carrying private accounts.

      Mr. Seng was born in Carroll county, Illinois, December 27, 1861, and is a son of Casper and Catherine (Fuchs) Seng, who first saw the light in Sellenrodt, Germany, and came to this country when young, and were married in Lanark, Illinois, July 4, 1857. They had married without resources, and went to work on a farm, caring for forty cows, and receiving the modest sum of eighteen dollars a month for their united labor. They worked four years in this manner and by that time had accumulated considerable savings. They bought a four hundred dollar span of horses, and rented a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, and took their place among the independent farmers of the west. From this humble beginning, through the exercises of that charateristic thrift, energy and good management which are the birthright of every son of Germany, they have finally risen to affluence. They bought their first land in 1864, paying for it fifteen dollars an acre. A second purchase was made in 1870, and cost at the rate of fortyfive dollars an acre. Part of this purchase money was borrowed at twenty-five per cent., and nearly wrecked the family in the hard times of 1872 and the following years. But the senior Seng with the help of his older children weathered the storm, arid, in 1881 bought more land at sfxty (sic) dollars an acre, and when he died in 1883 he had a farm of two hunderd and fifty acres of land as highly improved and thoroughly cultivated as is to be found in all that region. His widow survives him and resides on the old homestead, which is under the management of her sons George and Henry.

      Walter Seng was reared on the farm in his native county, and was educated in the district school, and completed his student days by three terms in the Lanark high school under the admirable management of Prof. Oldt. He was married to Miss Kate Kness, December 27, 1882. She was a native of Carroll county and was a daughter of George and Elizabeth Kness, who came from Schmidten, Germany, and reached this country in 1857. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Seng located on a rented farm near Brookville. His capital at that time consisted of a team, wagon, plough, and a few other farming implements, given him by his father, and a cow, which was a present to his wife from her parents. Two years later he moved to the farm where his brother now resides. In 1887 he made a trip to Nebraska, and bought the southwest quarter of section 26, township 9, range 2. He returned to Illinois and the following October brought back with him his family and made his permanent home in York county, Nebraska. He farmed this successfully until 1890, when he moved to McCool junction, and engaged in a business which has greatly grown under his fostering care. His health had become impaired by excessive



labor, and before coming to the junction he had been confined for six months to his bed. His ambitious nature would not tolerate idleness, and he has been very busy since embarking on his present enterprise. He bought eighty acres of land August 14, 1895, and now owns two hundred and forty acres of good farming land. He has been active in promoting settlement in this county, and it is said that through his influence more than a dozen families have come into it from his old home in Illinois alone. He has done an extensive business in selling farms, and has brought a host of people here, none of whom have ever regretted their coming. He is the father of four children, Harry L., William C., Myrtle M. and Vernie V. He belongs to the McCool camp of the Modern Woodmen of America, and his wife is a member of the associated order of the Royal Neighbors. They are both members of the Evangelical Lutheran church, and he is non-partisan in politics. 

Letter/label or barHOMAS A. HERDMAN.--Among the young and enterprising citizens of Seward county, Nebraska, there is probably none more energetic or thoroughgoing than the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. For some time he was actively identified with the business interests of Lincoln, but is now principally engaged in agricultural pursuits in H precinct, Seward county.

      Mr. Herdman was born in Ottawa, Canada, in 1865, a son of Charles E. Herdman, whose birth, occurred in the same place, June 29, 1833. While yet in his teens, the father began life on his own account in the lumber business, in which he was very successful, continuing to engage in the same until 1869, when he removed to Lincoln, Nebraska. There he became a prominent, successful and influential business man, carried on several profitable enterprises, such as milling, dairying and ice business, and since has sold all interests and moved to Worrigul, Victoria, Australia, and is largely interested in agricultural pursuits, such as fruit and wool business. He married Fanny Stephens, of Quebec. The paternal grandfather of our subject was a major commanding second field battery, New York, United States army, in the war of 1812.

      Thomas A. Herdman was quite young when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Nebraska, and in the public schools of this state he acquired his literary education. Early in life he became interested in the confectionery business, which he carried on quite extensively in Lincoln until 1894, when his health failed, and he was forced to retire. Since then he has followed farming, and until recently was employed as a traveling salesman, in Lancaster and Seward counties, by the American Woolen Mills Company, of Chicago, Illinois. He is energetic, wide-awake and progressive, and no doubt a brilliant future awaits him. He married Miss Etta M. Root, a native of Michigan, and to them have been .born two children: Master Charles A. and Carrie A. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM F. McCLOUD is one of the public-spirited citizens of York county, to whose energy and foresight this locality is indebted for many improvements. He is a thorough and skillful agriculturist who has won success in his chosen calling and has materially advanced the interests of the community while promoting his individual prosperity.

      Mr. McCloud was born August 26, 1839, in Pocahontas county, Virginia, a son of George R. and Mary Jane (Warner) McCloud, the former also a native of Pocahontas county, the latter of Pendleton county, Virginia. As far back as both families can be traced, their representatives have all



been tillers of the soil. Our subject's grandfather, Nathaniel McCloud, was born in the Highlands of Scotland, a son of William E. McCloud, and came to America before the Revolutionary war, in which he aided the colonies in their struggles for independence, remaining in the service until hostilities ceased. Soon after the war he married Miss Margaret McMahou, a native of Ireland, who had come with her parents to the new world. He died at the age of eighty-six years, while she lived to be over one hundred. Of their children two sons were in the Confederate army during the Civil war, and one was among the boys in blue. The numerous cousins of our subject were pretty equally divided between the two armies. George R. and Mary Jane McCloud reared a family of ten children, five sons and five daughters, all of whom married and reared families of their own. Of these George W., the third son, was in the artillery service with the army of the Potomac, first under General McClellan, and later tinder General Grant, who ended the unpleasant difficulty at Appomattox.

      On leaving home in 1857 William E. McCloud went to Appauoose county, Iowa, where he became acquainted, and was married July 15, 1858, to Miss Ann M. Sears, who was born September 13, 1838, in Muskiugum county, Ohio, whence she removed to Iowa with her father, Pressly W. Sears. Her grandfather, Charles L. Sears, was a native of England and came to America in colonial days, being among the first settlers of Fairfax county, Virginia. At the outbreak of the Revolutionary war he, joined the Patriot army, and never laid down his arms until independence was achieved. Mr. and Mrs. McCloud have become the parents of ten children, four sons and six daughters, who in order of birth are as follows: Charles A., Mary J., Hattie A., Rose L., Carrie C., William E., Jr, Frank A., Jessie B., Anna M., and James R., all born in Appanoose county, Iowa, with the exception of the two youngest, who were born in York county, Nebraska.

      After his marriage Mr. McClond continued to engage in farming in Appanoose county, Iowa, until the spring of 1878, when he came to York county, Nebraska, where he has since made his home. For nearly forty years he has given his attention to farming and dealing in live stock, and in his life work has met with a well deserved success. Socially he is a Knight Templar Mason, belonging to the blue lodge, chapter and commandery in York county. At one time he was master of the Grange in Iowa, and was enthusiastic in all matters pertaining to the welfare of the farmer and laboring classes. Although not members of any religious denomination, he and his wife are firm in the belief that temperance, morality and education should be fostered in every state and community. In early life Mr. McCloud was a Democrat in political sentiment, but for the past eighteen years has given an unwavering support to the Republican party. 

Letter/label or bar. H. WARNER, the versatile newspaper man who succeeded H. A. Brainerd five years ago as editor and publisher of the "Nebraskan" at Milford, Seward county, Nebraska, was born in Medina county, Ohio, in 1849. He removed with his parents to Wisconsin at the age of seven years. There he received a liberal education, graduating from Ripon College in 1875. He taught about eight years, and it was his original intention to enter the ministry, and with that end in view he entered the Chicago Theological Seminary. After one year in that institution, he went to preaching, and then returned to teaching in Wisconsin; he continued teaching there eight years, receiving a life professional certificate from the state superintendent of public instruction. He



then decided that newspaper work promised a larger field for his labors and he abandoned teaching and went to Nebraska, and founded the Cedar Rapids Era. In 1887 he was admitted to the bar. Four years later he removed to Craig, Nebraska, where he established the Burt County News, and was connected with that paper until the fall of 1893, when he went to Milford and took charge of the "Nebraskan." He is also editor of the Pleasant Dale " Quiz," which was established in 1890.

      Mr. Warner is an active supporter of Republican principles. For many years he has been prominent in musical circles, and has done much to promote the cause of good music in the communities that have been fortunate enough to claim him as a member. He has directed the rendering of the operetta "Queen Esther" at various places, and has been active in organizing bands and musical bodies.

      L. H. Warner is a son of Herschell and Sallie A. Warner, of New York, and is a grandson of Noah Warner of Waterbury, Connecticut. L. H. Warner's family consists of a wife, Nellie J., and four daughters; Agnes G. married to L. O. Howard, who is editing the Burt County News in Nebraska; Fannie J., a widow; her husband, W. D. Smith, was first sergeant of Troop K, Third United States Volunteer Cavalry, and spent the summer at Camp Thomas, near Chattanooga, Tennessee. He was discharged September 8, 1898, and died September 27, 1898, of typhoid fever; Ruth A. and Fern L., aged respectively eight and five at this date, December 22, 1898, complete L. H. Warner's family now living; he lost a daughter, Jean, in 1882, aged seven months. 

Letter/label or barETER J. JONES, who is classed among the successful farmers of Polk county, is well worthy of notice in a work of this kind, and to be ranked among the men who have distinguished themselves as useful and enterprising citizens. He h pleasantly located on section 15, township 14, range 3, where he owns an excellent farm of three hundred and twenty acres.

      Mr. Jones was born on the 23d of December, 1833, in Smoland, Sweden, where he grew to manhood and acquired his literary education. Being reared upon a farm, he early became familiar with agricultural pursuits, and is now one of the most skillful and thorough farmers in community. On coming to the United States in 1864 he first located in Marshall county, Illinois, where he worked by the month for a few years, and then operated rented land. In 1869 he wedded Miss Mary Charlotte Hult, also a native of Sweden, and four children grace their union, namely: Helma Amelia, John Albert, Edwin Emanuel and Harmon Alexis. The children have all been provided with good school privileges, and the daughter is now the wife of Otto Branting, by whom she has two sons--Lawrence Fred and Edwin.

      In 1878 Mr. Jones emigrated to Nebraska, and the following year took up his residence upon his present farm, which at that time was all wild land. After erecting a small frame residence he moved into it in 1879, and at once turned his attention to the improvement and cultivation of his land. Acre after acre has been placed under the plow until now two hundred and fifty of the three hundred and twenty acres are under a high state of cultivation and yield a ready return for the labor bestowed upon it. The commodious and pleasant residence, erected in i888, is surrounded by good and substantial barns and out-buildings, and everything about the place betokens the thrift and enterprise of the owner. In connection with general farming he raises an excellent grade of stock.

      Although attending strictly to his busi-



ness affairs, Mr. Jones has never neglected the holier duties of life, and is now serving as deacon of the Lutheran church, to which he and his family belong, taking an active and prominent part in its work. He is a stanch supporter of the Republican party, takes a commendable interest in political affairs, and has acceptably served as judge of elections. He is also a member of the Scandinavian Mutual Insurance Company. Although he commenced life for himself in limited circumstances, due success has not been denied him, and he is to-day one of the most substantial, as well as one of the most reliable and influential, citizens of his community. 

Letter/label or barORMAN FREDERICK TILDEN, a well-known blacksmith of York, has for several years been actively identified with the industrial interests of York county, and is numbered among its useful and honored citizens. He was born November 13, 1859, in Henry county, Illinois, and is a worthy representative of an old and highly respected family of New England. The genealogy of the Tilden family is lengthy and forms interesting reading.

      His father, Orrin Tilden, was born in Windsor county, Vermont, and was a son of Josiah and Elizabeth (Tracey) Tilden, the former born in 1760, the latter January 14, 1790. They made their home on a farm near White River Junction, Windsor county. In his native state Orrin Tilden married Miss Orrill K. Moore, whose birth occurred July 14, 1818, and they continued to reside with his parents until 1854, when they left the Green Mountain state and removed to Henry county, Illinois, locating on a farm near Woodhull. To the cultivation and improvement of his place the father devoted his energies until life's labors were ended, dying there in 1879, at the age of seventy-two years. His estimable wife is still living and in her eightieth year. In their family were six children, four sons and two daughters, namely: Josiah H., Mary G., James F., Frances H., Cyrus F. and Norman F. In company with his oldest brother, Norman F. Tilden left the old homestead in Illinois and made their way to Bradshaw, Nebraska, arriving there in the spring of 1879, which was then a thriving little railroad town in York county. There they set up a shop and engaged in general blacksmithing and repairing. Wishing to extend his business, our subject removed his shops to the city of York in 1888, and soon succeeded in building up a large and profitable business which he still enjoys, and which is well merited, for he is a skilled and expert workman as well as a reliable business man. At the age of twenty-five years, Mr. Tilden was married, March 31, 1885, to Miss Mary U. Byrnes, who was then twenty-two. Her parents are Robert C. and Paulina I. (Miller) Byrnes. Mr. and Mrs. Tilden have three children: Robert B., Dwight M., and an infant. The parents both hold membership in the Presbyterian church, while socially he is identified with the Ancient Order of United Workman and the Royal Highlanders, and Mrs. Tilden belongs to the ladies' auxiliary lodge of both societies. Both merit and receive the esteem and confidence of all who know them. 

Letter/label or barHARLES HENRY CHALLIS, the well-known editor and proprietor of the Ulysses Dispatch, who has made his home in Butler county since the spring of 1880, was born in Ottawa, Illinois, September 7, 1853, and is a son of H. G. Challis, a native of Berkshire, England. His mother having died at his birth, he was reared by foster parents, and obtained his early education in the public schools.

      At an early age Mr. Challis manifested a desire to learn the printer's trade and served



his apprenticeship with Cohen & Sapp, of Ottawa, Illinois. When about twenty-one years of age he went to Chicago, where he soon became an expert job printer, but close confinement and strict attention to business so impaired his health that, at the end of two years, he was forced to abandon the work for a time and came to Nebraska. Here lie engaged in outdoor work on a farm while recuperating his health, and then again took up his chosen vocation, his first newspaper work in Nebraska being on the Exeter Enterprise.

      In 1880, after the railroad had been projected to Ulysses, Mr. Challis came here and founded the Ulysses Dispatch--the first newspaper in town and the first in the county outside of David. City, being now the second oldest in Butler county. The first number, a six-column folio, was printed on an old Washington hand-press and was issued on the 10th of May, 1880. It was first published as a Republican paper, but its policy has always been anti-monopolistic, and at an early day it espoused the cause of populism, and is now one of the influential organs of the People's party in this region. It was the first Populist paper in the county and for a time the only one. Its influence in the community has been far-reaching and productive of great good. Mr. Challis is a member of the Free Silver Press organization of Nebraska, having been prominently identified with its organization.

      In Ottawa, Illinois, in 1878, Mr. Challis was united in marriage with Miss Sarah E. Baumgardner, a daughter of Isaac B. and Barbara Baunigardner, old and honored residents of that city, where the father was for many years engaged in the hardware business. The Baumgardners were formerly from York county, Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Challis have one daughter, Blanch, now sixteen years old.

      Being a strong temperance man, our subject does all within his power to advance the cause, and he is a consistent and active member of the Christian church, serving as superintendent of the Sunday-school for four years. Both individually and through his paper, he stands for all that is best socially and politically, and is recognized as an important factor in the development of the county 

Letter/label or bar.ILLIAM WALTERS.--Among the successful and progressive farmers of York county, the gentleman whose name stands at the head of this sketch holds a prominent place. For almost thirty years he has now made his home in this section of the state, and to-day owns and successfully operates a fine farm on section 24, Henderson township.

      Mr. Walters was born in Fulton county, Illinois, September 26, 1832, a son of William and Elizabeth (Royer) Walters, the former of German and the later of Irish descent, though the Royers were originally from England. In the old country and in America, the family have principally followed agricultural pursuits. During his minority and up to the time of his marriage our subject lived upon his father's farm ten miles north of Vermont. At the age of twenty-one he decided to marry, and on the 22nd of December, 1853, led to the marriage altar Miss Marietta Shields, a daughter of Joshua and Elizabeth (Sivly) Shields, and granddaughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Harvey) Sivly, who were of German lineage and farming people, while the Shields were of Irish origin and merchants by occupation.

     Mr. and Mrs. Walters had known each other from early childhood, their homes being in the same neighborhood. For a year after his marriage he continued to work on his father's farm, and then purchased a small farm in McDonough county, Illinois, which he operated until 1864.

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller