NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



and esteem of his fellow citizens, the wages of an honorable and upright life. Politically our subject is a Democrat, having cast his first presidential ballot of James Buchanan, the Democratic candidate from Pennsylvania, and attends religious services at the Evangelical Lutheran church, in Middle Creek.

      Mr. Brandt was married while living in Iowa to Miss Catherine Leibuck, who was born in Germany, came to this country at the age of sixteen years and became his wife at the age of eighteen. Mrs. Brandt died in Iowa, and our subject subsequently married Mary Heidenreich in Wisconsin, who migrated with him to Nebraska, and who is still living and enjoying with him the results of their labors in doing their part to subdue and civilize the wild and barren west. Mrs. Brandt is a daughter of Charles and Sophia (Brinkhoff) Heidenreich, and was born in 1846. Her parents came to this country from Germany about the year 1856 and made their home for many years in Dane county, Wisconsin. The mother died in that state and the father afterward moved to Lancaster county, Wisconsin. Mr. Brandt has a bright, interesting family of fifteen children, whose names in the order of their birth are as follows: Cardine, Elizabeth, Lizzie, Charlie, William, Annie, Minnie, Henry, Louis, ida, Martha, Lena, Johnnie, August and Clara, all living but two Elizabeth and Lizzie. 

Letter/label or barHARRES H. STARK, who may be nearly always found on his homestead farm, section 24, Hays township, is one of the early pioneers of this county, and by example and teaching has contributed very substantially to the onward movement of this region. He is a man of intelligence, entertains broad and enlightened views, and is an earnest advocate of sound morals and progressive education.

      Mr. Stark was born in Allegany county, Maryland, April 4, 1838, and is well past the sixtieth milestone of his life journey. He is a son of Jervis Stark, who was born in Limerick, Ireland, and came to this country early in life, and settled in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, where he found and wooed his wife. Her maiden name was Sarah Dean, and she is still living in the Quaker commonwealth, and is over eighty years old. Jervis Stark was a contractor and builder of macadamized roads, and was employed in this line for many years. He constructed a fine road in Virginia, leading to Cedar Creek, afterwards immortalized in the history of the Civil war as the scene of Sheridan's Ride. He became a hotel keeper later in life, and was a man of considerable attainment and character. He was married about 1830, and died in Virginia in 1851.

     Mr. Stark remained in Virginia until he was fifteen years old, when he returned to Pennsylvania after the death of his father. He had more than an ordinary education, and was a faithful student both in the common school and the academy. In 1861 he journeyed westward and engaged in farming near Magnolia, Illinois. In the spring of 1864 he enlisted at Chicago in Company F, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He served until November of the same year, and was mostly on garrison duty during that time. He returned to Illinois, and February 14, 1865, he was married to Miss Kate Stanton. She was a daughter of Jeremiah and Sarah (Sutton) Stanton, and is also a Pennsylvanian born and bred. They settled on a rented farm where they spent the first four years of their wedded life. But they had dreams of a farm and a home of their own, and an old settled country like Illinois seemed to afford little countenance to that notion. They determined to seek their fortunes in Nebraska, and in 1869



came to York county driving overland the entire distance. It was a wild country upon which they looked. Game abounded. Buffalo had not entirely disappeared, and Indians were still numerous. But they had stout hearts, and set to work bravely to make a home in the wilderness. They filed a homestead claim to eighty acres, and this modest beginning has grown into a handsome and well kept farm of two hundred acres in a high state of cultivation, with all the latest notions of enlightened agriculture.

      Mr. Stark is an old settler, and a highly respected member of the community. For two terms he served on the county board, and for many years he has been a member of the school board. He assisted in the organization of the first school district in the county, and from the first has taken a deep interest in the cause of popular education. He helped organize the United Brethren church, which now has its location in McCool Junction. Its first services were held in a dug-out on the banks of the Blue River, near the crossing of the Kansas City and Omaha Railroad. He is a charter member of the Modern Woodmen at McCool junction, and is connected with the Hays Grand Army post at Lushton. He is the father of six living children, whose names are Sarah, Jrevis (sic) N., Stanton F., Annie, Nettie, and Charles William, and and has buried three children, Florence, Walter L., and Thomas L. During early days he taught school, and was among the first teachers in York county. All his life he has been an earnest friend of learning and religion, and through his character and teaching this community has been substantially benefited. 

Letter/label or barRS. CAROLINE TOWNSEND BARRETT, residing on section 33, Hays township, York county, is a lady of large business capacity and marked intelligence, and is distinguished for her straightforward womanly course, no less than for the tact and energy she has employed in her business affairs. She bore the maiden name of Caroline Townsend, is a native of Delaware county, New York, and a daughter of Morehouse and Army (Johnson) Townsend, natives of Connecticut and New York, respectively. For thirteen years during early life the father sailed the seas, but later engaged in farming for a number of years. After his children attained maturity and moved west, he finally joined them in Illinois, but died in Beatrice, Nebraska. The mother survived him for several years, and passed away at the home of Mrs. Barrett, at the age of ninety-three years, being at that time the oldest lady in York county.

      In 1854 Caroline Townsend gave her hand in marriage to William Barrett, and after living upon a farm in New York for nine years they removed to Ogle county, Illinois, whence they came to York county, Nebraska, in the fall of 1875, purchased one hundred and sixty acres of railroad land on section 33, Hays township, entirely unimproved. The lumber for their home was shipped from Burlington, Iowa. Soon after coming here, Mrs. Barrett was left a widow with eight children to rear and educate, which she has done in a most commendable manner. She deserves great credit for the able manner in which she has for years successfully conducted her farming operations and made a home for her children. Left alone in a new country, practically without money and the obligations of a farm with scarcely any improvements and with few tools or machinery to work the same, she has succeeded in maintaining a home for her family under most distressing and discouraging circumstances, and the result has only been obtained after undergoing many hardships and years of hard work. Assisted by her children as



they grew up, she at length paid for her farm and now has one hundred and sixty acres under excellent cultivation and well improved. It is also well stocked and equipped with modern machinery. Mrs. Barrett is a faithful member of the Fairview Methodist Episcopal church and a most estimable lady.

      The children, who have now all left the paternal roof, are as follows: Morehouse, a farmer of Frontier county, Nebraska; Martha, wife of Edward Hendricks, of McCook, Nebraska; Mary, wife of William Search, a farmer of York county; Ellen, wife of John Taylor, of Ida county, Iowa; Anderson, a farmer of York county; Army, deceased; Jennie, wife of George Jenkins, a farmer of Fillmore county, Nebraska; and David, who is engaged in mining in Klondike, Alaska. 

Letter/label or barEORGE HAYWORTH, who owns a fine farm on section 26, McFadden township, is one of the leading men of York county, and is recognized as a representative farmer in this section of Nebraska. He has passed through the hardships and privations of pioneering, and has plucked a large success from trial and trouble.

      Mr. Hayworth was born in Davis county, North Carolina, April 14, 1846, and is a son of Riley and Percilla (Chambers) Hayworth. Riley Hayworth was a farmer in North Carolina, and coming of Quaker antecedents, held no slaves. He spent some years in Virginia after the birth of the son whose name introduces this article, and then feeling the need of the air of freedom, emigrated with his family to Iowa, where he settled in Appanoose county, where he spent the closing year of a long and honorable life. He died in 1895, out-living his wife thirtytwo years.

      Mr. Hayworth was about eleven years old when his parents settled in Iowa. They had previously given five years to a trial of the possibilities of life in Indiana, and in that state he received the most of his early education. In May, 1864, he enlisted as a member of Company G, One Hundred and Thirth-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, for one hundred days. Upon his discharge he re-enlisted in Company E, Thirty-ninth Illinois Veteran regiment, and served until the close of the war. The One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Indiana did post and guard duty at Bridgeport, Alabama, and the Illinois Veterans had a hand in the battles around Petersburg, and helped secure the surrender of General Lee. In one of these battles Mr. Hayworth fell into the hands of the rebels, and was subject to a brief captivity at their hands. When the war was over, and white-winged peace had spread her wings abroad, he came back to Iowa, and resumed the occupation of farming in Appanoose county.

      Mr. Hayworth made a trip to York county, in August, I871, and was so pleased with the promise of the land, that he brought his family back with him the fall of the same year. They passed the winter in a dug-out on Indian Creek; as it was one of the severest ever known in this section of the country, they suffered greatly from the snow and the cold. But all things come to an end, and the winter gave way to spring at last, and in the early spring he filed a soldier's homestead claim to section 26, McFadden township, and thus secured the home which has been his to the present day. His first residence conformed to the simple habits of the time. It was a sod house fourteen feet square, but it was a home, and gave promise of better things to come. The first year he broke about forty acres, and raised corn enough for his stock. And now, after a quarter of a century of the hardest work, he has a fine improved farm in a high state of cultivation, which contains two hundred and forty acres of choice land.



      He is a Republican, and takes an active part in the management of the machinery of the party. He is a member of the Exeter post of the Grand Army of the Republic, and is a leading spirit in its councils. He was married December 17, 1867, to Miss Mary Ford, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Jordan) Ford, Her father was born in Pennsylvania, and her mother in Kentucky, and were much respected people in their day. Mr. and Mrs. Hayworth are the parents of twelve children, nine of whom are living. Their names are Lewis L., Lucy E., Missouri E., Flora A., Frances P., Alice, Jacob E., Aurelia J. and Thomas. George W., Charles W., and Mary C. died in early life. Mr. Hayworth served his country well, has been an honorable and useful citizen, and now, as the evening shadows begin to slowly gather, he can look back upon a career of honor and usefulness. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM FRANKLIN SPROUT, who resides on section 4, Chelsea township, is one of the leading farmers of Fillmore county. He was born August 24, 1846, in Dupage county, Illinois, and is the son of Alexander and Anna (Fry) Sprout. His grandparents on the maternal side were Jacob and Elizabeth Fry, who were Pennsylvania Germans. They immigrated to Illinois in an early day and commenced farming. Jacob Fry was also a minister of the Gospel. Both of them died in Illinois, Elizabeth Fry living to be eighty years of age.

      Alexander Sprout lived on his farm in Illinois for about forty years, when he moved to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and in the fall of 1883 bought a farm and lived there until his death, which occurred January 23, 1898, at the age of seventy-six years. The mother, who is seventy-six years of age, is still living on the old farm, which is man aged by the youngest son. Our subject received his education in the common schools of his district, and acquired such an education as the district schools of that time afforded. He lived with his parents until he was twenty-four years of age, at which time he was united in marriage to Miss Frances E. Jayne, the daughter of Horace and Lucy Jayne, and to their marriage were born five children, Jessie M., who married George J. Babb, and is now living in Champaign county. Illinois. She is the mother of one child, Walter. The other children, Earnest W., Grace L., Lee C. and Melvin R. are at home and engaged in farming. Earnest W. attended the Lincoln Normal for two years, and Lee C. will attend the Lincoln Business college, in order that he may acquire a complete business education. After his marriage our subject purchased a small farm and commenced work for himself. His industry and perseverance were attended with success, for in three years he was able to purchase more land, his farm then consisting of ninety-five acres of good fertile land. He lived on this farm for ten years, and seeing the advantages which the west offered he gathered everything together and loaded them on the cars and started for Nebraska, reaching there in November, 1886, and immediately purchased a quarter section in Chelsea township, and where he is living at the present time.

      Mr. Sprout's first wife died on April 1, 1894, and on September 14, 1898 he was married to Mrs. Ada Friend, who was a daughter of John and Charity Lott, and to whom by her previous marriage were born two children, Edna A., and John M., both of whom are living. Our subject has a well improved, nicely located farm of three hundred and twenty acres of fine farming land, all under a high state of cultivation. His buildings are modern and substantial, and all over his entire farm you can see eviden-



ces of his thrift and industry, and he is considered by all his neighbors as being a prosperous and successful farmer. In 1864 our subject, who was then but eighteen years of age, thought he was old enough to be a soldier, and on June 16 of that year, in response to the President's call for three months' volunteers, he went to Elgin, Illinois, and enlisted in company H, One Hundred and Forty-first regiment, Illinois Volunteers. After drilling a short time his regiment was sent by rail to Cairo, Illinois, and from there to Paducah, Kentucky, and at that place made their headquarters during their entire stay in the army. From Paducah they were sent by boat up the Mississippi river, and landed in Missouri, and immediately started in chase of the Confederate General Forrest. They followed him for some ten or fifteen days, but at no time did they succeed in overtaking him, as at every point they thought they had succeeded in running him down the wily General managed to elude them and was always in some other place. While his regiment did not see much active fighting service, yet in holding the camps they released thousands of trained soldiers who were allowed to do active service, and to participate in the great final battles of the war, so that they really did serve their country just as much as though they had been allowed to do fighting service. He was of an active stirring disposition, healthy and rugged, and at no time during his entire term in the service was he in the hospital, and during some of their long and most arduous forced marches, he was never left behind. He looked upon the hardships of a soldier's life as something that could not be avoided, and as he was of a bright and jolly disposition his companionship was much sought by his fellow comrades. He was mustered out of the service at Camp Fry, Chicago, October 10, 1864, and at once returned home and began work on his father's farm as before. He has always enjoyed the best of health, and at the present time, at fifty two years of age, has never been sick in his life.

      Mr. Sprout is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Geneva, and has always taken much interest in all matters pertaining to church work. His wife is a member of the Congregational church in the same place, and is also and active church worker. He also belongs to the A. O. U. W. fraternity. Politically he is with the Independent party and is an ardent believer in bimetalism. He is also greatly interested in educational matters, and has always taken an active part in any movement that would benefit his community. He has taken great interest in township affairs, and at various times has served as assessor, school director and supervisor of roads. He is held in high regard by his neighbors and friends, and commands the respect of all who know him. 

Letter/label or barETER KELLER.--Among the substantial and prosperous agriculturists of Seward county may well be named the gentleman whose name introduces this sketch. His home and farm, which is not lacking in evidence of thrift and enterprise, is situated on section 7, precinct H.

      Mr. Keller is a native of Germany, his natal day being March 21, 1852, and lived in that country until twenty-eight years of age. He received his preliminary education in the common schools of the Fatherland, between the ages of six and fourteen years, after which he entered the surveyors, and the higher schools, and the training he received in these institutions proved valuable to him in his mechanical work. At the age of twenty, he entered the German army, and, after serving three years, returned to his study, taking courses in the schools at Bensheim, Worms and Manheirn. After completing his education at the age of



twenty-six, Mr. Keller spent two years in Germany and then started for the new world. He took transport in a steamer from Hamburg to New York and from thence proceeded to Johnson county, Iowa, where he was employed as a farm laborer for about eighteen months. While in Iowa, our subject was united in marriage to Miss Kate Seibert, and soon after moved to Lincoln, Nebraska, where he was employed for one year by the B. & M. railroad company as a mechanic and machinist in the roundhouse.

      While living in Iowa, Mr. Keller purchased one hundred and sixty acres of railroad land in Seward county, Nebraska, at eight dollars per acre. At the time of this purchase, he was possessed of only fifteen dollars, and after paying ten dollars down for his farm, it took his remaining five dollars to pay his fare home to Iowa. Upon severing his connection with the railroad company in Lincoln, in 1883, he moved, with his wife and child, to his farm in H precinct, Seward county, furnished it with a residence 14 x 20 feet, a team of mules, a cow, a hog and a wagon, and began to break and to otherwise prepare his new farm for crop-raising and fit habitation for himself and family. That Mr. Keller has suceeded (sic) in this venture can be easily proven by a few minutes' reconnoiter of his surroundings. The original quarter section has been added to from time to time until it now comprises two hundred and forty acres, is well stocked and finely improved with buildings, forest trees and fruit trees of every description. The barn, however, was struck by lightning during the past season, but is now being replaced by a new building. Mr. Keller attends religious services at the Congregational church.

      Mrs. Keller, who has been previously mentioned in this article, was also born in Germany, the date of her birth being November 26, 1853. She was educated in Germany, and at the age of twenty-eight years, she left home and came alone to America, stopping for a time in Baltimore and from thence moved to Iowa, where she met our subject, and was united to him in marriage October 9, 1881. To this union have been born four children, upon whom they have bestowed the following names: Fred, Lizzy, Mary and John, all of whom are living and are still making their home with their parents. Our subject's father, John Keller, was born in Germany and spent his entire life in the land of his nativity, and the mother also lived and died in Germany. Mrs. Keller's father, Frederick Seibert, was also a native of the Fatherland, and her mother, who bore the maiden name of Kate Roth, is still living at the age of seventy-three years. 

Letter/label or barICHARD MATTHEWS, who saw the early days of McFadden township, and knowns of his own experience what pioneering means, is now spending the last days of a busy life in the cultivation of his farm, and the enjoyment of a wide circle of friends in York county.

      Mr. Matthews was born in county Galway, Ireland, December 5, 1847, and was a son of David and Mary (Donahoe) Matthews. They were natives of the same county in which Richard was born. The husband and father was a farmer and became prosperous in his native land, where he died in the fullness of years. His wife survives and still resides in Ireland. Richard was reared on his father's farm, and had a good education in the schools of that country. He learned the carpenter's trade and worked at it until he reached the United States in 1871. He crossed the ocean on the "Java," landing in New York, July 12, and for seven years he worked at his trade in that city. He spent some time in Troy, and later went to Washington, District of Columbia, and in



March, 1878, was first seen within the borders of York county, Nebraska. The previous year he had entered into a partnership with a Mr. Henehan, who had come to the county and bought a considerable tract of land. The two were associated in farming for several years, when they dissolved partnership, and divided everything equally. Since coming here he has increased his real estate holdings, and now owns a very complete farm of two hundred and forty acres, more than half of which is under a high state of cultivation. His first home was a sod-house, 14 x 24 feet. It had a lumber roof, and was regarded as one of the largest and most aristocratic in the county. Yet it is recalled that when a severe storm was raging it was sometimes necessary to hoist an umbrella in order to keep protected from the penetrating rain. But this was pioneering, and everything was accepted with a hearty good nature. Mr. Matthews had his home on the northwest quarter of section 27, and he has improved it beyond the imagination of anyone who could have looked at it on the occasion of his entrance upon the raw prairie. This place he exchanged in October, 1896, for his present home, on section 23. He was married in 1881 to Miss Nora Lally, a native of Ireland, who came to this county from the city of New York. They are the parents of two boys, William D. and Richard, Jr. He belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen, at McCool Junction. He is independent in his political relations, and with his family belongs to the Catholic church at Exeter. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM F. KAPKE, a well-known farmer residing on section 20, I precinct, Seward county, is a man whose success in life shows what can be accomplished by industry, perseverance and economy, especially if a sensible wife aids him in his efforts to secure a home and competence. He is a native of Germany, born in 1835, but when a child of seven years was brought to America by his parents, Martin and Louisa (Tank) Kapke, who were also born in that country. They became pioneer settlers of Wisconsin, locating there when that state was almost an unbroken forest, filled with Indians, wolves, bears and deer, and they had many things to contend with and many dangers to encounter in making for themselves a home in that wild country. The mother died in Wisconsin at the age of seventy-four years, and was buried in Sheboyagon county. Subsequently the father made his home with our subject and died in Nebraska at the age of eighty-three, being laid to rest in Middle Creek cemetery. In their family were four children, three sons and one daughter, all of whom reside in Wisconsin with the exception of our subject.

      At the age of six years William F. Kapke entered school and continued his studies in the common schools of this country until fourteen, after which he assisted his parents on the home farm until twenty-three. On the 3d of November, &859, he was married by Rev. Adolph Schwamkoskie to Miss Wilhelmina Klug, who was born in Wisconsin, July 5, 1839, and attended the public schools of that state until twelve years of age. She was then confirmed in the Evangelical Lutheran church, our subject being confirmed in the same church at the age of fourteen. Her parents, Charles and Christine (Knuth) Klug, were both natives of Germany and when young came to the United States, being married in Wisconsin. where they spent the remainder of their lives, the father dying at the age of seventy-six and the mother at the age of seventy-eight years. Their family consisted of three children, Mrs. Kapke and two sons, one of whom is now living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the other in Seward county, Nebraska.



      Mr. and Mrs. Kapke are the parents of eleven children, namely: Frank, who married Minnie Thomas and lives on a farm in Seward county; Mary, wife of John Thomas, a contractor and builder; Matilda, wife of Henry Thomas, a farmer; Willie, deceased; Paul, who married Maud McGrew; Fred, who married Kate Wissel; Bertha, wife of Charles Miller, a broker of Lincoln, Nebraska; and Minnie, now Mrs. Steiner; Willie, Ida and Clara, all at home. All have been provided with good commonschool educations and have been confirmed in the Evangelical Lutheran church.

      For several years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Kapke continued to reside in Wisconsin, where they worked hard to support their growing family, and by close economy they saved enough money to purchase a home of their own. Mrs. Kapke had been inured to hard work while still under the parental roof and she has proved a true and faithful helpmeet to her husband, aiding him in every possible way. She never wasted a moment and every possible attention was given to her children. In the spring she would help her husband in making maple syrup, as there were many maple trees upon their farm. From the wild land they developed a little farm, cutting down the trees, burning the brush, and finally, with a yoke of oxen, breaking the earth, so that with a hoe or rake a little grain or vegetables could be planted. One of their misfortunes, also, was that their house was burned. Generally the cultivated farms in that wild region were from ten to twenty acres in extent, and our subject and his wife improved about six acres, each year adding one or two more to the cleared tract. She could generally drive the ox team while breaking the land. Thus they continued to work until the spring of 1878, when they decided to try their fortune on the prairies of the west, and accordingly came to Nebraska. For ten years they lived on a farm in Lancaster county, and they removed to Lincoln, where Mr. Kapke worked at his trades as a carpenter and brick mason, and his wife successfully conducted a hoarding house, thus carrying on operations for nine years. The spring of 1898, however, witnessed their arrival in Seward county, and they now live on a farm on section 20, I precinct, their energies being devoted to agricultural pursuits.

      During the Civil war Mr. Kapke was drafted, and served for nine months as a member of Company F, Sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, under Captain Childs. He was wounded at the battle of Hatchie's Run and sent to the hospital at Wilmington, Delaware. At the close of the war he was honorably discharged, but on account of his wound was unable to be present at the grand review in Washington, District of Columbia. Mr. and Mrs. Kapke have the respect arid esteem of all who know them and have made many friends during their short residence in Seward county. Their children have been well reared, receiving a moral and religious training from a Christian mother, and in them the parents take a just pride. 

Letter/label or barEV. JAMES F. McCOY, an earnest and efficient christian worker and a minister of the Christian church, is making his home on a farm in Ulysses township and in connection with his ministerial work is successfully operating his farm. He settled on section 18, of the abovenamed township in March, 1878. He was born in Montgomery county, Indiana, January 1, 1840, a son of Stephen McCoy, an early settler of Indiana, locating in that state in 1823. He was a native of North Carolina, where he was born in 1799, among the younger members of the family. Two of his older brothers participated in the war of 1812. Grandfather McCoy was a Revolutionary soldier. He



migrated from Ireland and located first in Pennsylvania and later in North Carolina. Our subject's mother bore the maiden name of Miss Sarah Lindsey. She was a native of Virginia and of Scotch descent.

      The subject of our sketch is one of a family of thirteen children, there being ten boys in the family, eight of whom grew to maturity. In his early life he had very limited educational advantages and barely passed the rudiments. He was married at the age of twenty years to Miss Margaret A. Cowan, a daughter of John N. Cowan, formerly of Ohio, and to this union have been born four children, now living as follows: John S., of Surprise, Nebraska, Ellen A., a teacher in the Surprise schools; Ida J., wife of A. F. Krause, of Philips county, Nebraska, and Charles F., now living on the home farm.

      Mr. McCoy enlisted in company B, Seventy-second Indiana volunteer infantry and was mustered into service in August, 1862, but owing the disability he was discharged before his time of enlistment expired. The company to which he belonged was attached to the Army of the Cumberland. Prior to his moving to Nebraska, in June, 1878, our subject was ordained a minister of the Christian church, and since locating in Butler county his ministerial work has covered a large field and he has become well and widely known throughout this part of the state. He is a man of earnest, practical nature. His heart and soul are in his work and he has infused new life into the societies in which he has labored, and is very popular with his people and greatly beloved by them. 

Letter/label or barAMES WHOLSTENHOLM, who resides on section 26, McFadden township, came to York county with his parents, John and Hannah (Lonsdale) Wholstenholm, in September, 1871. The family was among the first to be established in this part of the county, and has been associated with much of its early history.

      The gentleman, whose name introduces this article was born in Peoria county, Illinois, January 18, 1854. He was reared on the paternal homestead, and had such an education as the neighboring common schools afforded. When he became of age he pre-empted eighty acres in section 26, and as he has grown in years, his farm has increased in its acreage, until he now owns two hundred and forty acres. When he located here he lived in a dug-out, but after his marriage he put up a handsome frame residence. He has made many improvements on the farm, including a modern residence, barns and a number of convenient out-buildings.

      Mr. Wholstenholm was married September 28, 1878, to Miss Mary Wullbrandt, a native of LaSalle county, Illinois, and a daughter of Charles H. and Fredricka (Holloch) Wullbrandt, who were natives of Germany and were among the pioneers of this country. They are the parents of five children, C. Ernest, William, Elva M., Jessie J. and Richard E. He is a member of the Ancient Order of the United Workmen at McCool junction and takes an active interest in the affairs of that fraternal society. He is a Republican, and has been assessor of the township, and a member of the school board. She is a member of the Pleasant Ridge United Brethren church. 

Letter/label or barLLIS LONSDALE is one of the earlier settlers of York county and among a generation of strong and sturdy men, who have endured privation and suffered want that they might win a home, he stands peer to any for simple straightforward manhood and rugged integrity. His home is on section 36, McFadden township, and it has become one of the best improved farms of




this end of the county. He came to York county in 1878, and for two years farmed land rented of John Runnals, about six miles northwest of his present farm. In 1880 he leased one hundred and twenty acres of school land which now constitutes his home. He bought it after six years of rental. He built a frame house, 14x 24, in the spring of 1880, and began the improvement of the farm. He plowed the first land in section 36 and made the first improvements that were known on that tract. Now he has a fine property, which is highly cultivated. He has good buildings and a beautiful maple grove of three acres which, is the result of his own planting.

      Mr. Lonsdale was born in Oldham, England, June 26, 1849, and is a son of John and Alice (Crabtree) Lonsdale, who were natives of the same county. His father was a weaver, and followed that trade in England. In 1854 he emigrated to the United States, and locating his family near Philadelphia, found employment in the woolen mills for nearly ten years, when he removed to Peoria and went into the manufacture of lime, and was thus engaged when he died March 18, 1878. His wife survived him for many years, and died in her Illinois home May 15, 1896.

      Ellis Lonsdale was about five years old when his family came to this country, and when he was about eight years old began working in wool. He worked in the various departments of the mills for many years, being principally employed as a wool carder, however. In Peoria he was a teamster in the summer, and a coal miner in the winter, and in this manner he passed the fourteen years following 1864. By this time he had come to feel the desire of a country home and he found it in this county.

      Mr. Lonsdale was married to Miss Sarah E. Pritchard, in Peoria, Illinois, June 25, 1873. She married in her native city, and was of English descent, her parents John and Ann (Lonsdale) Pritchard, being natives of Oldham, England. Her father had an eventful history. He brought his family from England in 1843, and located on a farm near Peoria, which was then known as Fort Lafayette. He cleared a woodland farm, and hauled its produce to Chicago with ox teams. He is still living on the old homestead at an advanced age, and expects to soon pass the eighty-eighth milestone. His wife died in 1869.

      Mr. Lonsdale is a prominent farmer of McFadden township, and from his first appearance here was known as a reliable and public-spirited citizen. He is a Populist, and in 1893 was elected to the county board. He has been justice of the peace. He is interested in secret work, and finds not a little satisfaction and pleasure in the three orders with which he is associated, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. and Mrs. Lonsdale are the parents of seven children: Chester E., Levina E., John I. (deceased), Hannah, Maria E., Margaret, and Corbitt C. 

Letter/label or barAMES SMITH MARSHALL, a leading citizen of Garrison, Butler county, Nebraska, is the possessor of a handsome property which now enables him to spend his years in the pleasurable enjoyment of his accumulations. The record of his life, previous to 1892, is that of an active, enterprising, methodical and sagacious business man, who bent his energies to the honorable acquirement of a comfortable competence for himself and family. In advancing his own interests he also materially assisted in the growth and upbuilding of this section of the state, and has been an important factor in its prosperity.

     Mr. Marshall traces his ancestry in this country back to colonial days, being a direct

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller