NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



railroad track to Rockford and thence to Oregon, where he hired out to a farmer for eleven dollars per month. A year later his wages were increased to fourteen dollars, and he worked in that way for four years. With the money he saved he sent for his wife and three small children, who were nearly three months in crossing the ocean in a sailing vessel. For fifteen years the father then operated rented land and at the end of that time was able to purchase a farm of his own.

      Charles J. Rusler remained with his father and worked for him until after he attained his majority, and then began life for himself as an agriculturist. On the 12th of December, 1873, he married Miss Diena Calkins, a daughter of Cornelius and Maria (Chambers) Calkins, who were married in Indiana, though the mother was a Kentuckian by birth.

      In the spring of 1874 Mr. Rusler, with his bride, came to York county, Nebraska, and located on the northwest quarter of section 1, township 9, range 4 west, where they still reside. At that time not a tree stood upon the place, nor had a furrow been turned by the plow, but they began life here in earnest, and Mrs. Rusler proved a true helpmeet to her husband, aiding him in every possible way.. He only had twenty-five dollars on his arrival here, and this he expended for a plow, and the first year broke sixty acres of his land, besides building a sod house and planting some trees, including fruit trees. The next year he broke seventy acres and in this way soon had his land all under a high state of cultivation. He has added to the original tract until he now has four hundred and eighty acres of as fine farming land as is to be found anywhere in York county. His barns and cribs are filled to overflowing, and upon his place he has (1898) one hundred and sixty-seven acres of small grains, and one hundred and forty-eight acres of corn, awaiting the stacker and threshing machine. He also has a fine bank account, all of which property has been accumulated by the industry, perseverance and enterprise of himself and good wife.

      Mr. Rusler cast his first presidential vote for General Grant, but thinking the government favored corporations too much he left the Republican party and now votes with the Democracy. In early life he joined the Catholic church, but as the nearest church of that denomination is twelve miles distant, he does not attend services regularly. He is a man of influence in his community and his advice and co-operation are frequently sought by his neighbors. 

Letter/label or barON. THOMAS ALEXANDER HEALEY.--The history of a county, as well as that of a nation, is chiefly the chronicles of the lives and deeds of those who have conferred honor and dignity upon society. Among Seward county's most honored and distinguished citizens is T. A. Healey, a well-known lawyer and real estate dealer of Milford, who has taken an important and influential part in public affairs for several years.

      A native of Montreal, Canada, he was born July 7, 1842, and is a son of John and Jane (Bishop) Healey, who were born in Ireland, but were married in Canada, where they continued to make their home until our subject was four years old, removing at that time to Kenosha county, Wisconsin. Locating on a farm near the city of Kenosha, our subject was there reared to manhood, his early education being quite primitive, as he only attended the common schools for about a year.

      In November, 1861, at the age of nineteen years, Thomas A. Healey enlisted in the First Wisconsin Cavalry, and early in 1862, while assisting in repelling a charge of rebel cavalry at L'Anguille, Arkansas, he



was severely wounded in the hip and arm and left lying on the field, where he was later recovered by his regiment, being sent to Overton hospital in Memphis, from which he was discharged and sent home late in the year 1862. After his return to Wisconsin he remained on his farm with his mother until the fall of 1866, when he was nominated and elected sheriff of Kenosha county, on the Republican ticket, receiving the largest majority of any candidate on the ticket. He served with credit and distinction for two years, completing his term January 1, 1869. In the meantime, in 1868, he had come to Seward county, Nebraska, to look up a location, and when his term as sheriff expired he made arrangements to remove to this state. He left Kenosha, Wisconsin, early in April, 1869, with a team, and made the trip overland to Seward county. On his arrival he homesteaded on sections 10, 9 and 2, N precinct, nine miles west of Milford.

      Mr. Healey had been married in Wisconsin, April 26, 1865, to Miss Kate M. Bundy, a daughter of Horatio N. Bundy, who afterward emigrated to Nebraska and located in Seward county. On coming to this locality our subject was accompanied by his brother, Edward Healey, and his brother-in-law, George Garland, who also located here. In the spring of 1870 he was appointed deputy county clerk under Thomas Graham, and in 1876, on the Republican ticket, was elected to the state legislature by a large majority. For many years he has successfully engaged in the practice of law in Milford, and is also largely interested in the real estate and insurance business. Since locating here he has been in close touch with the growth and development of this section, and is recognized as one of Seward county's most useful and valued citizens..

      The only child of Mr. and Mrs. Healey is Leslie, who is now associated with his father in the law, real estate and insurance business. He was born in Kenosha county, Wisconsin, June 26, 1867, but was not quite two years old when brought by his parents to Nebraska, hence is essentially a Nebraska production. He has been liberally educated in the public schools, and early became familiar with the business in which he is now engaged. He is one of the rising and popular young lawyers of Seward county and a young man of sterling qualities. In 1892, he was married in Chicago to Miss Myrtle N. Campbell, a daughter of J. W. Campbell, of Humboldt, Nebraska.

      Mr. Healey was first appointed postmaster at Milford in 1873, by President Grant, served until 1876, then resigned and was elected to the legislature. He was again appointed as postmaster, by President McKinley, August 1, 1898. 

Letter/label or barICHAEL L. SHAMBAUGH, as his name indicates, is of German extraction, his ancestors having come from that country, and settled in Pennsylvania at an early day. He has never been afraid of hard work, and has been saving and judicious in all his financial transactions, and is now enjoying the fruits of thrift and economy. He has a pleasant home near Bradshaw, Nebraska, and is classed among the reliable and substantial farmers of York county.

      Michael L. Shambaugh was born in Harrison county, Ohio, March 23, 1853, and is a son of George Shambaugh, who was a native of Pennsylvania. His grandfather, George Shambaugh, was a native of Germany, and when a small boy was brought to Pennsylvania by his parents. He was taken to Ohio when only a lad, and with his father made Harrison county his home until the day of his death. The father of the subject of this article died when he had



passed his eighty-third birthday. His mother, Matilda Hazelette, a daughter of John and Mary Hazelette, accompanied her parents from Pennsylvania into Harrison county, Ohio, where he lived and died.

      Mr. Shambaugh left Ohio when he was twenty-two years old, and made his way to Christian county, Illinois, where he rented a farm of one hundred and twenty acres on what was known as the Buckeye Prairie. He met at this time Miss Almira Young, and after an acquaintance of eight months, was married to her December 31, 1876. After paying for the marriage license and giving the preacher five dollars, he had twenty cents left with which to begin housekeeping. He was in debt three hundred and fifty dollars. It was not a propitious outlook, but it offered no discouragement to a young couple who knew how to work, and found a world in each other. They lived on a farm about seven years, and then moved to York county, and made their first appearance in this country August 16, 1883. They moved into their own house, which they quickly erected on the southeast quarter of section 3, township 11, range 4 west, and have made it a happy and prosperous place. In the following spring they purchased an additional eighty acres, which increased his real estate holdings to two hundred and forty acres of valuable land. They began with a debt of three hundred and fifty dollars on their Nebraska ranch, which was long since paid off, and now they have a farm that is well equipped with all appliances for modern agriculture. They have one hundred and twenty apple trees, with plums, grapes and small fruits in abundance. On two sides his orchard is protected from the winter storms by a fine cedar hedge.

      They have two sons, who are twenty and fourteen years old, who are working by their father's side, and have no thought beyond the farm. Jesse, the elder son, is a student in York college, and contemplates a full course at the university. Mr. Shambaugh is a Democrat, and holds the free: and unlimited coinage of silver as being a vital principle of political economy. Mr.. Shambaugh is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and his wife has taken the degree of honor associated with that order. She is also a member of the women's branch of the Maccabees. They, are both members of the United Brethren church at Harmony, He is a leading man of his community, and almost from the moment of his entrance into this township has filled some of its offices. 

Letter/label or barRANK W. SLOAN stands in the front rank among the younger attorneys of Fillmore county, Nebraska, and is making: his home and base of operations in the town of Geneva. He was born near Monticello, Jones county, Iowa, August 16, 1873, a sort of James N. and Elizabeth (Magee) Sloan, a more extended mention of whom will be found in connection with the sketch of Hon. Charles H. Sloan, on another page of this volume.

      Our subject was reared on a farm in his native county until about nine years of age,, when the family moved to Taylor county, Iowa, where the remaining years of his boyhood were spent. He received his preliminary education in the district schools of Jones and Taylor counties. In the spring of 1890, he attended the agricultural school at Ames, Iowa. After attending two terms he returned to his home, and for a few years was engaged in farming during the summers and teaching during the winters. In the spring of 1892, he moved to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and for two years was engaged in teaching school. In the meantime, he began to study law with his brother, Hon. Charles H. Sloan, and was admitted to the bar in June, 1895, since



which time he has been associated with his brother in the practice of law. Shortly after being admitted as a practitioner, he was appointed deputy prosecuting attorney, and is still performing the duties of that office. In August, 1898, he was nominated on the Republican ticket for county attorney, and elected to the same by a majority of four hundred and three in a fusion county, which had given a Populist majority of over three hundred and fifty. He is also president of the Farmers' State Bank of Milligan, Nebraska. Socially, he affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also the Modern Woodmen of America. 

Letter/label or barICHAEL ANTHON RUSLER, an enterprising, and well-to-do farmer, residing on section 35, brown township, York county, was born in Germany, October 25, 1846, and was nearly eight years old when brought by his parents, Joseph and Mary Rusler, to America. Until twenty-three years of age he remained with his father, assisting in the work of the farm, and after leaving the parental roof engaged in farming and teaming on his own account for four years.

      On the 4th of October, 1873, Mr. Rusler was united in marriage with Miss Augusta Erxleben, a daughter of Frederick Erxleben and to them have been born ten children, of whom eight are still living. In order of birth they are as follows: Mary S., who completed her education in the high school of York, Nebraska, and is now the wife of Wesley J. Tracy, whose home is four miles north of where her parents live; Frank E.; Charles A.; Joseph M.; Bertha M.; William W.; Pearl E. and Liel O. The two oldest were born in Ogle county, Illinois, but the others are all natives of Nebraska. Bright, intelligent children, they have acquired good educations in the public and district schools near their home.

      For three years after his marriage, Mr. Rusler followed agricultural pursuits in Ogle county, Illinois, and then determined to seek a home farther west, arriving in York county, Nebraska, March 1, 1877. After operating rented land for one year, he purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres of the railroad company, in July, 1877. Upon his place he erected a sodhouse and at once commenced the improvement and cultivation of his land, breaking eighty acres of prairie the first year and thirty-five the second. The whole country was then wild and unimproved, provisions were scarce, and cornstocks served as fuel. It requires great labor to open up a new farm, and as there were no forests in this section of the state, one of the first duties of the early settlers was to plant trees and also set out fruits of all kinds. The first public duty to be performed was the erection of school-houses, which in this state were generally built of sod and were used for all public gatherings--church and political meetings, etc. In the work of improvement, Mr. Rusler always bore his part, and it was not long before most of the good land, both government and railroad, was taken up, and things began to take the shape and order of older communities. Our subject has prospered in his new home and is now the owner of an excellent farm of two hundred and forty acres, all under a high state of cultivation and well improved with good buildings.

      Mr. Rusler is a Catholic in religious faith; and though his wife is not a member of any church, she belongs to the Ladies Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church and takes an active part in its work. Their children attend the Sunday-schools and churches of the community, and socially two of the sons are members of the Modern Woodmen of America, an organization of great strength in this section. Mr. Rusler has generally voted with the Republican



party, but not liking the political course of the party and, as he says, believing that "silver should be restored to the place it occupied in the days of Honest Abe," he now votes the opposition ticket. 

Letter/label or barENRY S. SHELDON is an enlightened and progressive farmer of York county, Nebraska, who believes in modern ideas, and is not afraid of advanced notions. He has the courage of his convictions, and is well known as a frank and fearless exponent of morals and religion.

      Mr. Sheldon was born November 7, 1848, in DeKalb county, Illinois. His father was Silas Sheldon, probably a native of Massachusetts, born January 4, 1810, and was a tiller of the soil. He was married April 20, 1835, in the state of New York, to Miss Abigail Smith, born September 24, 1812, and a daughter of John and Abigail Smith, who were natives of Massachusetts. Upon their marriage they made their home in Michigan, where they spent several years. They moved to DeKalb county, Illinois, where the family remained, while the husband and father went to Ohio for medical treatment. The experiment was unsuccessful in staying the progress of the disease, and he died there October 24, 1850. Mrs. Sheldon died at Evanston, Illinois, October 22, 1876. She left a family of six children, five of whom are still living and at the head of families themselves. The record of the Smith family is traced back to 1605.

      Henry S. Sheldon was the youngest child of his parents, and when a young man struck out from the Illinois home and made his way to what was then believed to be the El Dorado of agriculture--the new state of Nebraska. He selected one hundred and sixty acres of land in York county, and then returned to Illinois, and was there married to Miss Louisa Meeker, daughter of John and Sarah Meeker. The wedding occurred May 18, 1873, and has proved a happy union. Her mother was dead at this time, and she had carried the cares of the household on her shoulders for some time. The young couple reached their new home August 2, 1873, and here they have resided until the present day. In about twelve years Mrs. Sheldon's father followed them, and made his home in the same county. Mr. and Mrs. Sheldon have two children--John Merton and Louis H.--who have grown to manhood. Mrs. Sheldon's mother was a daughter of James Hamilton and Delia Bemont, and was married at Oxford, Chenango county, New York, where she lived till her death. Her paternal grandfather was named James Hamilton, who lives in Scottish legends and tales as the Earl of Douglas. He was a Revolutionary soldier, and in company with his father-in-law, Stevens, and two of his brothers-in-law, rendered much service to the patriotic cause. One of these, Joshua Stevens, was entrusted with a considerable sum of gold to carry to Washington's headquarters, which he accomplished, after being hotly pursued by a squad of British troops. Fearing capture in the woods beyond his residence he threw his money-sacks across the gate of the residence of his sister, Sarah Stevens. She hid the gold in an iron ashbox, covering it with a layer of hot ashes fresh from the fire. The troop, after searching the house for the money, sat down to a dinner which she prepared for them. Brother and sister survived the perils of war, and died, each of them, at the age of over ninety. He was present at the laying of the corner-stone of Bunker Hill monument.

      Mr. Sheldon is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, but his wife is a member of no secret order. He was at one time a Republican, but being disappointed at the erection of the English gold standard



by his party in 1896, he voted to restore silver to its proper rank in the circulating medium of the country. Father and mother, with their two sons, are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Bradshaw, and she is a faithful and earnest worker in Women's Christian Temperance Union. 

Letter/label or barHOMAS JACOBSON is a prosperous and honored citizen of Fillmore county, Nebraska, residing on section 27, Bryant township, and for twenty years has been prominently identified with the agricultural interests of the county. He is a man whose sound common sense and vigorous, able management of his affairs, have been important factors in his success, and with his undoubted integrity of character have given him an honorable position among his fellow men.

      Mr. Jacobson was born in Sweden in 1850, a son of Jacob and Barbara Jacobson, who spent their entire lives in that country and are now deceased. There were only two children in the family, and the sister of our subject is still a resident of Sweden. In his native land our subject was reared and educated and also confirmed in the Swedish Lutheran church, and there engaged in farming until he attained his majority. In 1871 he crossed the Atlantic, and on landing in New York proceeded at once to Florida, where he spent two months, and then went to South Carolina, the object of his journey south being in search of employment and a healthy climate. On reaching Charleston, South Carolina, he was without money, but soon found work and remained there several mouths. Later he went to Chicago, Illinois, where he commenced working on a railroad, and during his residence there he deposited one hundred dollars in a bank, which failed two months afterwards. Going to Michigan, he was employed in the lumber woods and at railroading) and after three years stay in Michigan went to California. He traveled over the west from that state to Nebraska in search of a healthy location, and in 1879 decided to locate in Fillmore county, where he landed with something over seven hundred dollars, having left California with eight hundred dollars in his possession. On section 27, Bryant precinct, he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of raw prairie land for six dollars per acre, and at once turned his attention to the improvement and cultivation of his land. He built a small frame house and sod stable, but the latter was soon replaced by a barn built of lumber. He now has one of the finest quarter sections of land in the precinct, and all of the improvements upon the place are modern and of a substantial character. His farm is also well stocked with a good grade of horses, cattle, hogs, etc.

      On coming to this state, Mr. Jacobson was still single, but on May 28, 1881, he was united in marriage with Miss Hannah Bergquist, who was born in Sweden, in 1861, a daughter of O. G. and Elna Bergquist. The mother died in that country when Mrs. Jacobson was only a year and a half old, and the father subsequently married again. In 1869 the family emigrated to America and located in Bryant precinct, Fillmore county, Nebraska, where they are still living. Our subject and his wife have an interesting family of three children, namely; Anna O., Arthur E. and Lillie A., all at home.

      Religiously both Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson are members of Stockholm Swedish Lutheran church in Bryant precinct. He is not identified with any political organization but votes for the men and measures that he believes will best advance the welfare of the people. He may be properly classed among the self-made men of the county, who, by the exercise of their own industry and perseverance, have not only gained for them



selves a home and competence, but have materially assisted in the progress and development of the country around them. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM THOMAS SHIELDS.--The state of Nebraska owes its high standing among the sovereign commonwealths that make up the United States to the high character and dauntless spirit of the settlers who made their homes within her borders in the early days. To their inspiration and work is due her wonderful progress in agriculture, manufacturing and the arts. They transformed the wilderness into fertile farms, and laid the foundations for towns and cities. Among the brave and hardy pioneers of Butler county the Shields family is worthy of prominent mention. It is still represented here by William T. Shields, a prominent farmer, residing on the old homestead on section 27, Ulysses township, where the family located on coming to the county in 1863.

      He was born March 4, 1844, near Martinville, in Morgan county, Indiana, and is of Scotch-Irish descent. The family was represented in the Revolutionary war by his great-grandfather, who took part in the siege of Yorktown. Joseph Shields, our subject's father, was horn on the Big Miami river, in Ohio, June 21, 1805, a son of Thomas Shields, and on reaching manhood married Miss Matilda Kirkpatrick, a native of Kentucky, and a daughter of William Kirkpatrick, whose family resided in that state for generations. The marriage was celebrated in Morgan county, Indiana, and the children born to them were as follows: Hannah, John W., Annie, Jane, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Frank M., William Thomas and Nancy. Of these, Annie, Frank M. and our subject came with the parents to Butler county, Nebraska, and John arrived two years later.

      Mr. Shields, of this review, was six years old when with the family he removed from his native county to Mahaska county, Iowa, where they lived for eight years, and then want to Jackson county, Missouri. Two years later they returned to Iowa, but remained only a short time. They next resided in Harrison county, Missouri, and on leaving that place they came to Butler county, Nebraska, in 1863, becoming the first settlers of this region. They located on the Big Blue, on account of the natural growth of timber in that section, but at that time there were no other settlers in the southern part of the county. The old log house which our subject and his father built upon the claim is still standing, a landmark of pioneer days. For the first few years they lived by hunting and trapping, but after a time, when joined by other settlers, they turned their attention to agricultural pursuits. The father of our subject, who died in Butler county, April 27, 1869, was very active in the early development of this region and wielded considerable influence in pioneer days among the people of the community.

      Amidst the primitive scenes of frontier life, William T. Shields grew to manhood, early becoming familiar with the arduous task of transforming wild land into highly cultivated fields. On the first of March, 1868, in Butler county, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary A. Skillman, who was born in Somerset county, New Jersey, of German ancestry, and they have become the parents of the following children: Jemima J., now the wife of Benjamin Spelts, of Ulysses, Butler county, Sarah A., wife of Alfred Hall; Matilda N., now Mrs. A. Hagaman; Josephine P., wife of George Wolf; Joseph R.; and John Wesley.

      It is difficult, to understand the changes that have taken place in Butler county since Mr. Shields located here, the country at that time being an unbroken prairie as far as the eye could reach, and it required



great courage to overcome the trials and disadvantages of those early days. When the family first reached the Big Blue valley, they found evidences of earlier settlers; one or two cabins were still standing, and they learned that the families who had built them were forced by starvation to abandon their claims and return to civilization. Only by trapping and hunting were they enabled to subsist through the first few years of their settlement in Nebraska. These trying times are now ancient history as may be seen by the advanced state of cultivation in this beautiful valley and the many pleasant homes which have taken the place of the settler's cabin and the dugout of the pioneers. Our subject still resides on the old homestead which he was instrumental in converting into one of the most desirable farms in the county. 

Letter/label or barENRY LAUER, who is the fortunate owner of a well cultivated farm in section 22, precinct D; Seward county, is a man who commands respect wherever he is known. He is an old soldier and can look back over a long and honorable career in defending the old flag against the assaults of armed Indians, who were sweeping the exposed northwest with fire and wild destruction. He served his country well on the battle field, and to-day he is an honorable and faithful citizen, supporting all measures that look to the general good, and ably seconding every project that would build up his own community.

      Mr. Lauer is a native of the city of New York, where he was born September 8, 1845. His father, Conrad Lauer, was a native of Hesse Cassel, Germany, and his mother, Sarah (Balance) Lauer, was of English origin. They moved into Nebraska in the summer of 1856, and located on a farm in Otoe county, through which flowed Squaw creek. It was five miles from Nebraska City, which was then in its earliest beginnings. It had a store, a small bank, a printing-office and a block house, and gave little promise of its future development. They lived in a log house, and were accustomed to grind corn in a coffee mill for the usual food. They did send occasionally to Council Bluffs for a iittle (sic) flour, but their circumstances demanded the utmost economy. Conrad Lauer got his place in very fair shape, and died in 1857. His widow survived him many years and passed away in Lincoln, in 1886. Henry came into Otoe county with his parents, and found that he had entered upon a life of unremitting toil. What little schooling he had he received while in the east, aud (sic) there was little time for study in the exigencies of pioneering. While still a very young boy he drove six yoke of oxen on a breaking team. He remained at home until he enlisted, in 1864, in Company A, Independent Regiment of Indian Scouts, United States Volunteers, under the immediate command of Captain Christian Stufts. The regiment was mustered in at Omaha, and did valiant service against the hostile Indians of the northwest. He was with General Sully, and the command marched from Omaha into the heart of the savage wilderness. A desperate battle was fought at Rainy Butte, Montana, where Mr. Lauer had his horse shot under him. It was his own property, which made the loss a more serious matter. He escaped injury himself, though his comrades had to pull the dead animal off from him so that he might stand up. It was a close call, and before he had gone forty rods the Indians reached the dead horse, and cutting off its tail held it up and shook it at him. The command reached Fort Union, where it remained for a few days, and then marched on to Fort Berthold. From there it went to Fort Rice, and threw up a stockade around the post. It went to the Yankton agency next, and was mustered out at



Sioux City, Iowa, after nine months' laborious marching and fighting. He had a justifiable pride in this record, for it not only quelled an Indian rising of vast extent, and protected many helpless homes, but it prevented the withdrawal of any soldiers from the battle line of the south.

      The rugged Indian fighter entered now into a scarcely less dangerous employment and became a teamster' under the management of Willis & Claggett, of St. Joseph, Missouri. He drove a six-mule freighting wagon and made a trip to Julesburg and returned to his starting point, Nebraska City. He made a second trip with Dick White to Fort Laramie, and safely returned, though nearly all the way lay through a country full of hostile Indians.

      By this time he concluded a less exciting life would do for him, and he bought an outfit and engaged in teaming in Nebraska City. He remained in that place until 1872, when he located his present homestead, August 28, on section 22. He had a sod house, and lived alone until the twenty-fourth day of the following April, when he was married to Miss Lureene Sperry. She is a daughter of Alfred V. and Sophronia A. (Palmer) Sperry, and was born in Grant county, Wisconsin, April 24, 1856. She came to this state with her parents in 1870, and is a woman of much native force of character. She had her education to a very large extent in the Wisconsin schools, though she takes an interest in passing events, and reads and studies much. They lived in a sod house for five years, and put up a frame, fourteen by twenty feet, which was their home for eleven years, when there was added to it a story! and a half structure, sixteen by twenty feet. When they entered upon the land it was all wild, and an Indian trail led through the door yard. He owns to-day a quarter section, highly improved, and showing in every part the effects of intense farming. They have lived and labored on this farm for twenty-six years, and beginning with nothing but the raw prairie, a yoke of cattle, and a dozen hens, are now comfortably if not elegantly situated. They are the parents of nine children, all of whom are living: Annie Lamb, J. Daniel, Fred H., Sadie Burrier, Charles H., Lureene Pearl, Mary Sabra, Ami Sperry and Nellie Louisa. Mr. Lauer has been a Democrat for many years, but though often solicited, will not accept office. He is an honorable man, a good citizen, and a useful member of the community. 

Letter/label or barETER LINGENFELTER, a prosperous farmer of Bradshaw township, has been a resident of York county for about fifteen years, and in that time has won and, holds the esteem of his neighborhood by the exhibition of those qualities that are peculiarly American. He is honest, industrious, and alert to every business opportunity, and is withal kind-hearted, openhanded, both as a friend and a neighbor.

      Mr. Lingenfelter was born October 17, 1847, in Guernsey county, Ohio. His father, John Lingenfelter, was only two years old when he was brought to Guernsey county, from his native state, Maryland, and when he had reached the age of twenty-three he was married to Miss Cline, of the same state. They lived in this county until 1850, when they transferred their home to Pike county. There he purchased forty acres and added subsequent purchases until he had in his own name a good farm of two hundred and forty acres. They had a family of six children, of whom all but one were boys. One of the sons died aged two and one-half years, and another died in infancy. The four who are living are married. Peter is the second child of the family, and was taken by his parents from Ohio into Illinois, where the family found a home for two years in Mason county. In



1878 he moved to Kansas, after a brief residence in Cowley county, came to York county, Nebraska, and established himself where he now resides.

      Peter Lingenfelter left his father's home in the spring of 1870, to Logan county, and spent seven years there. He made the move to Kansas with his father and remained in that state four and a half years. He came to this county in 1883 and bought eighty acres of land in section 6, township 11, north range 4 west. He sold this and purchased another eighty in the same section, the east half of the southeast quarter, on which he has been living for nearly thirteen years He has a beautiful piece of land and has brought it up to a high pitch of fertility. He has an orchard of about one hundred and fifty trees of apples, plums and cherries, which is just coming into bearing. He was married to Mrs. Minger January 18, 1886; She was a widow, and has made him a faithful wife. They have three children, who are Viola, Cora and George. They are bright and are attending the district school. Mr. Lingenfelter was elected road supervisor in 1891, but has never sought any public station. His life finds its most perfect expression in and around his own home. 

Letter/label or barLFRED M. READ, one of the old settlers of Morton township, York county, Nebraska, was born in Clearfield county, Pennsylvania, April 19, 1850. He is a son of Joseph R. and Mary W. (Wrigley) Read, further notice of whom appears in the sketch of R. W. Read, on another page of this volume.

      Our subject was reared and educated in Pennsylvania, and made his home there until 1877, and was engaged in farming, working in the woods and teaching school. In 1877 he moved west to Iowa, and in the fall of the same year moved to Washington county, Nebraska. The following year, he came to York county, bought eighty acres of railroad land, erected a frame house, and at once began to break and improve his new farm.

      In 1884 Mr. Read was united in marriage to Miss Alice Lytle, a sister of Mrs. Robert Lytle. To this union have been born four children: Lois M., Robert V., Emma L., and Augustus, all of whom are living. The family are all members of the Methodist church, and our subject is also connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In politics he is independent of parties, and has never sought or held public office. He has, however, taken an active interest in educational matters and has served as director of the school district. As a farmer he has been quite successful, has gained a position among the substantial and influential men of the community and enjoys the respect and esteem of all. 

Letter/label or barAMUEL A. HENDERSON, a prominent, agriculturist of Seward county, started out in life with nothing but his own indomitable energy, and his accumulation of this world's goods is attributed to his own good judgment, enterprise and industry. His word in business transactions is considered as good as his bond, and he is justly recognized as one of the energetic and representative citizens of the county.

     Mr. Henderson was born in Harrison county, Ohio, February 5, 1837, and is a son of William and Nancy (Russell) Henderson, both natives of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, whence they removed to Ohio about 1829, and in 1847 became residents of Fulton county, Illinois. There the father, who was a farmer by occupation, died in January, 1874, and the mother passed away in 1880. In their family were three sons, James, Washington and Samuel A., the eldest of whom is now deceased, while the daughters were Sarah J.; Juliann, de-

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller