NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



ceased; Betsey; Mrs. Emily Slonecker; Tilda, wife of R. D. Marshall, and Mrs. Elmira Snowden. At one time three of the daughters lived in Seward county.

      In Fulton county, Illinois, Samuel A. Henderson grew to manhood, and in its public schools pursued his education. When his school days were over he took up the occupation of farming to which he had been reared, and in that county carried on operations until his emigration to Nebraska in 1880. In F township, Seward county he bought a farm which he still owns, and now has three hundred and twenty acres all under a high-state of cultivation and well improved with good and substantial buildings.

      Mr. Henderson was married in Fulton county, Illinois, in 1858, to Miss Hannah Engle, a daughter of John and Juliana (Mercer) Engle, both natives of Pennsylvania. The father, who engaged in school-teaching and carpenter work, removed to Fulton county, in 1856, and there his death occurred in March, 1875. Of the eleven children born to our subject and his wife, nine are still living, namely: Edith, wife of George Gribble; Alice E., wife of George B. Wycoff; Marian, wife of A. N. Moore; Edgar A.; William R.; Elsie, wife of William Kinkade; Anna, wife of P. L. Webster; Harvey and Luetta.

      Mr. Henderson uses his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Democracy, but he has never cared for political preferment. As a citizen of the community in which he has long lived, he is highly respected, enjoys the confidence of his neighbors, and is regarded as a man of excellent business judgment. 

Letter/label or bar. W. COX, now a prominent and highly esteemed citizen of Fillmore county, Nebraska, carrying on operations as an agriculturist upon section 2, Hamilton precinct, was one of the valiant defenders of our country during the dark days of the Civil war, and in times of peace has also proved a patriotic and loyal citizen. This gallant soldier was born in Madison county, Illinois, in 1839, a son of Anthony and Lucy (Jones) Cox. He lost his mother when he was only three years old, and his father died while he was in the army. He was reared in Illinois and was educated in the common schools of that state.

     In response to the President's call for troops, Mr. Cox enlisted, at the age of twenty-two years, in Company F, One Hunand dred (sic) Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was in active service for three years and three months. He was a private soldier and was in the following battles: Fort De Russey, Louisiana, March 14, 1864; Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, April 9, 1864; Tupelo, Mississippi, July 14, 1864, Nashville, Tennessee, December 15 and 16, 1864; Fort Blakely and Mobile; Alabama, April 7, 1865; besides thirty-three skirmishes. He was under command of General Sherman at Vicksburg, Mississippi, in February, 1864; was in the Red River campaign under Major General A. J. Smith, of the Sixteenth Army Corps, in April and May, 1864; was on duty in Arkansas and Tennessee in June, 1864; the Tupelo campaign in August, 1864; was in the Price campaign in Missouri in September, October and November, 1864, and January, 1865; the Mobile campaign in March and part of April, 1865; and the engagement at Montgomery, Alabama, April 24, 1865, remaining there until the close of the war. The regiment, which was one of the best and most courageous in the service, marched two thousand three hundred and seven miles, traveled by rail seven hundred and seventy-eight miles, by water six thousand one hundred and ninety-one miles, making a total of nine thousand two hundred and seventy-six miles. They captured two stands of colors, four hundred and forty-two



prisoners and eight pieces of artillery, and at the close of the war were mustered out at Camp Butler, Springfield, Illinois, August 6, 1865.

      Mr. Cox returned to his home in Illinois with a war record of which he may be justly proud, and in that state he engaged in farming for a time. There he was united in marriage with Miss Julia Gibbons, who was born in Ireland, in 1846, and when a child of six years came to the new world with her parents, Anthony and Hannah Gibbons. The family located in Illinois, where the parents both died, and where the sister of Mrs. Cox still lives, there being only two children in the family. Five children have been born to our subject and his wife, namely: Jessie F., Emma T., William A., Charles W. and Julia M., all at home.

      After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Cox came at once to Fillmore county, Nebraska, where he purchased a tree claim of one hundred and sixty acres, paying for the same five hundred dollars, and to the cultivation and improvement of the place he at once turned his attention after erecting a small box house which is still standing. On locating here he had fifty dollars in money, a span of mules and one horse, but he prospered in his new home and is now the owner of a comfortable home and competence. Though the family experienced many hardships from drouth, grasshoppers, hailstorms, etc., they were not discouraged, and at length prosperity smiled upon their efforts. At first their nearest markets were at Fairmont and Carleton. In his labors to build up a homestead, Mr. Cox has always kept in view the good of the community, and has given his support to all enterprises which he believed calculated to advance the moral, social or material welfare of his township and county. That the climate of this state has agreed with the family is shown by the fact that he has paid out only about twenty-five dollars for doctor bills during his entire residence here. Socially, he is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Grand Army of the Republic. He now receives a small pension from the government. 

Letter/label or barILTON A. WHITE, deceased, was for several years one of the most public-spirited and enterprising citizens of McFadden township, York county, taking an active and prominent part in promoting the welfare of the community. He was born in Constable, Franklin county, New York, April 22, 1855, and was a son of Levi B. and Elmina P. (Langton) White, natives of Vermont, who removed to New York about 1850. When our subject was about nine years old he accompanied his parents on their removal from Franklin to Washington county, New York, where he grew to manhood, receiving a good common-school education. He passed the greater part of his youth in his father's sawmill and wagon shop, and soon mastered the wagonmaker's trade.

      In 1880 Mr. White went to Montgomery county, Missouri, where he remained for two years, giving his attention to agricultural pursuits. Returning to Washington county, he was married October 18, 1882, to Miss Mina S. Wray, who was born in Fort Ann, that county, a daughter of Francis D. and Elsina M. (Rasey) Wray, the former a native of Washington county, and the latter of Oneida county, New York. Her father was one of the successful farmers of his native county, where he spent his entire life, his death occurring in 1881. His wife still survives him and finds a pleasant home with her daughter in York county, Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. White became the parents of five children, namely: L. B., Leslie F., Langdon E., Ray C. and Wilton A.

      After his marriage Mr. White worked in



Picture button




a sawmill in New York until the spring of 1884, when he came to York county, Nebraska, and located on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 7, McFadden township, which he had purchased the fall previous. He became one of the prosperous farmers of the community, and to his original purchase added a tract of eighty acres, making a fine farm of two hundred and forty acres. Although it was only partially improved when he located thereon, he soon had the entire amount under a high state of cultivation and supplied with a good set of farm buildings. While giving close attention to his business interests, he never neglected his duties of citizenship, and took quite an active and influential part in the affairs of his township. His ballot was always cast in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, and being elected justice of the peace he most faithfully and satisfactorily discharged the duties of that position. He died March 19, 1896, honored and respected by all who knew him. His home life was most exemplary, for he was a kind and affectionate husband and father. On another page is presented a portrait of Mr. and Mrs. White. 

Letter/label or barAMUEL G. MATHEWS, one of the most honored and highly esteemed citizens of precinct F, Seward county, possesses a history of unusual interest. He is a native of Maryland, his birth occurring in Anne Arundel county, June 23, 1827. His father, James B. Mathews, was born in New York city, November 25, 1791, and was a son of John and Anna (McConkey) Mathews. The grandfather was a native of Dublin, Ireland, and on coming to this country engaged in business as a fruit merchant in New York City, where he died of yellow fever in 1795. His widow then returned to Philadelphia, where they had previously resided, and there James Mathews, the only son in a family of twelve children, was reared and educated. Later in life he removed from that city to North Carolina, where he engaged in general merchandising. and subsequently followed the same business, in connection with milling, at Roxbury, Maryland, where his death occurred in 1889. In the latter state he was married,. in 1820, to Miss Kittie Griffith, a daughter of Colonel Samuel Griffith, a distinguished officer in the colonial army during the Revolutionary war. They became the parents of fourteen children, eight sons and six daughters. The mother was called to her final rest in 1884.

      Samuel G. Mathews passed his boyhood and youth in the state of his nativity, and the education there acquired was supplemented by a course at the Benjamin Hollowell school at Alexandria, Virginia, which was a noted institution of learning at that time. When his school-days were over he entered the employ of his uncle, Israel Griffith, a wholesale drygoods merchant of Baltimore, where he remained for six years. He then engaged in general merchandising on his own account near that city for four years, after which he returned to Baltimore, where he successfully engaged in the commission pusiness (sic) until the Civil war. Coming west in 1868 he first located at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in business for one year, and then came to this state, where he met Judge Norval, and in company with him made the journey on foot from Nebraska City to Seward. In August, 1869, he entered a homestead claim where he now lives, and erected a small sod house, in which he lived for thirteen years, while he broke prairie and placed the land under excellent cultivation. Being the only settler of the locality he was often visited by the Indians, who stole much from him and he experienced many hardships and trials incident to pioneer life in the west.

      At Frederick, Maryland, Sep emb er (sic) 1,



1847, Mr. Mathews was united in marriage with Miss Catherine E. Cromwell, a native of that state and a daughter of Philemon and Mary (Fisher) Cromwell. In politics our subject is independent, and has never sought official honors though he has been called upon to serve as assessor of his township for twelve years. Almost empty-handed he came to Nebraska, but prosperity at length crowned his efforts, and he now has a comfortable home and competence, and has also succeeded in winning the friendship and high regard of the entire community. 

Letter/label or barATHANIEL J. WALDEN an agriculturist, who is making his home on section 5, Franklin township, Butler county, Nebraska, was born in Henderson county, Kentucky, January 25, 1825. His father, Martin Walden, was an early settler in Henderson county, Kentucky, where he was an overseer. He afterward moved to southern Indiana, and died in Warrick county, of that state, at the age of about seventy-five years. His father, Nathan Walden, was a native of either Virginia or South Carolina, and was a farmer by occupation, devoting the most of his time to the raising of tobacco. The family is of Scotch origin. Our subject's mother, Phebe Husbands, was born in Pennsylvania, and reared in Henderson county, Kentucky. Her father, John Husbands, was a native of Germany.

      Nathaniel J. Walden, the subject of this sketch, is the second child, and the oldest son in the order of birth, of a family of eight children. He was reared in his native county, and attended the common school in the log school house in his district. He made his home with his parents until his marriage to Miss Jane Hedges, in Indiana. She subsequently died, and our subject returned to Kentucky, where he was married, January 7, 1857, to Miss Amelia Walden, also a native of Henderson county, Kentucky. She is a daughter of William and Huldah (Frily) Walden. Our subject then moved to Warrick county, Indiana, where he made his home for nine years. He next returned to Kentucky for five years, and then moved to Fremont county, lowa. Here he remained until 1883, when he came to Butler county, Nebraska, and located on the farm he is now making his home. The farm comprises one hundred and twenty acres, all choice land, well improved, and furnished with a comfortable and commodious home and such surroundings as make life enjoyable. In politics, he formerly affiliated with the Whig party, but since the organization of the Republican party he has been a stanch and faithful Republican. He takes quite an active interest in matters pertaining to economy, and especially those pertaining to education, and has held some of the district school offices.

      Mr. and Mrs. Walden are the parents of a family of five sons, whose names, in the order of their birth, are as follows: Union, a farmer of Franklin township, Butler county; Milton, of Fremont county, Iowa; Francis, of Franklin township, Butler county; Richard, of David City, Nebraska, and Harmon, at home. 

Letter/label or barEORGE H. HOLDEMAN, ex-superintendent of schools for York county, was born in Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, December 12, 1868, a son of Thomas and Sarah (Hetrick) Holdeman, both natives of Pennsylvania. The father was a shoemaker and farmer by occupation, and died in Pennsylvania, but the mother is still living and is making her home in York, Nebraska.

      Our subject received his early training in the common schools of Pennsylvania, and when ten years of age, he moved with his mother to Putnam county, Illinois, and there attended the schools of that county. In 1887 the family moved to York county,



Nebraska, and after teaching one term of school he took a course at the Fremont normal school, from which he graduated in 1891. He then engaged in teaching in York county continuously until his election to the office of county superintendent in 1893. He was twice re-elected to that office and had supervision of one hundred and thirty schools in the county. Mr. Holdeman is a member of both the state and county teachers' associations, and in politics he is identified with the Republican party. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Royal Highlanders. He is a man of strong character, broad ideas, and is well and favorably known throughout York and adjoining counties.

      Mr. Holdeman was a member of the national guard for over a year and at the time of the outbreak of hostilities with Spain was serving as captain of Company A, at York. The company was mustered into the United States service in May, 1898, becoming attached to the First Regiment, Nebraska Volunteer Infantry. Captain Holdeman is now (1898) en route with recruits to join his company in the Philipines (sic). The duties of the office of county superintendent of schools are being ably performed by his sister, Miss Mary Holdeman, who was appointed to the office in July, 1898, and who was nominated, as a candidate for election, August 6 following, by the Republican party. 

Letter/label or barIEUT. HENRY C. HUGHES, a well-known farmer residing on section 30, township 15, range 3 west, Platte precinct, is one of the honored early settlers of Polk county. Not alone is there particular interest attaching to his career as one of the pioneers of this region, but in reviewing his life we find he was a distinguished soldier of the war of the Rebellion, and that his lineage can be traced back to the colonial history of the nation and to the period that marked the inception of the grandest republic the world has ever known.

      The founder of the family in the United States was Hugh Hughes, a native of Dublin, Ireland, who was educated for the priesthood and on coming to America located in Virginia. He raised a company of one hundred and ten men at Richmond for the Revolutionary war, and entered the service as captain of the same, which belonged to one of George Washington's regiments. He served with distinction all through that struggle and was promoted to the rank of major. At one time, while summoning re-inforcements for Washington's army, he was obliged to swim three miles, breaking the ice with his hands until they became too sore, and then using his elbows. Of the three men who ventured to perform that feat, he was the only one to survive. He had eight sons all of whom reared large families. One of these, Thomas Hughes, a native of Washington, Pennsylvania, was the grandfather of our subject.

      Mr. Hughes, of this sketch, was born September 9, 1840, in Boone county, Kentucky, of which place his parents, Ethan Allen and Nancy (Chrisler) Hughes, were also natives. The latter was a daughter of Lewis Chrisler, a native of Virginia, from which state he emigrated to Kentucky, but spent his last days in Indiana. The parents of our subject never left Kentucky, where the father died May 8, 1892, aged eighty years, and the mother passed away August 11, 189.5. She was a consistent and faithful member of the Christian church. In early life the father followed the cabinetmaker's trade, later engaged in house carpentering, and afterward gave his attention exclusively to the operation of his large farm. In the family were the following children, who reached years of maturity: Thomas, now a resident of Shelby county,



Missouri; Henry C.; George G., who was a member of the Boone County Home Guards during the Civil war, and is still a resident of Kentucky; Amelia C., of Boone county, Kentucky; Nancy Sanford, deceased; James W., of Pittsburg, Kansas; and C. C., of Kentucky.

      In the county of his nativity, Henry C. Hughes passed his boyhood and youth, acquiring his education in the schools of Burlington, Kentucky. Prompted by a spirit of patriotism, he enlisted September 10, 1861, in Company A, Twenty-third Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, as a private, and was first engaged in provost guard duty at Lexington. After scouting all over that region he went with his command to Mill Spring, but arrived too late for the battle. Taking boats, they went to Fort Donelson, where Mr. Hughes participated in the fight unattached to any brigade. He had been left at the hospital at Zollicoffer barracks by order of the surgeon, but he followed the army and took an active part in the engagement. After the surrender of Fort Donelson he returned to the hospital, where he lay unconscious for six weeks while suffering from typhoid fever. He was then discharged and returned home, but in August, 1862, re-enlisted as second lieutenant of Company C, Seventh Kentucky Volunteer Cavalry, and took part in the battle of Richmond, Kentucky, where his horse was shot dead under him. Falling over her he was injured and still carries a lump on his right hip as large as a goose egg. Mounting the horse of an Indiana lieutenant-colonel, he made a detour around the enemy, who had in the meantime passed him, and rejoined his command. From Richmond he went to Boonesboro, to Lexington and on to Louisville, where he was given command of Gen. W. T. Nelson's escort. After the death of that general the escort was transferred to General Gilbert, commander of the Fourth Army Corps at Perryville, in which battle Mr. Hughes participated. Being again taken ill he was sent to the hospital at Louisville, where he resigned his commission as lieutenant, but was afterward with his command as much as his health would permit. He was promised a lieutenant-colonelcy in the One Hundredth United States colored troops, but had to refuse it on account of sickness. After his return to his home in Burlington, Kentucky, he was employed in special service by the United States government.

      It was in 1871 that Lieutenant Hughes came to Polk county, Nebraska, and located on sectoin (sic) 34, township 1, range 2, Osceola precinct. He boarded for the first six months and then occupied the little sod shanty he had erected on his homestead. From his home he could see in every direction for miles around, and but one house came within line of his vision, so sparsely was the county settled at that time. He subsequently went back to Kentucky, but in 1872 returned to his first homestead, where he lived until his removal to Osceola, October 18, 1894. The sod house which he built in 1873 was used as a residence by the family for four years, and was then replaced by a frame dwelling, 6 x 24 feet, to which an addition, 22 x 24 feet, was afterward made. The same year a frame barn, 41 x 22 feet, was also erected. Mr. Hughes broke one hundred and fifty acres of wild prairie land, set out two rows of willows, and is now the owner of three hundred and twenty acres in this state, all under a high state of cult vation (sic). He owns the Joseph Miller homestead, which he has occupied since April 2, 1895.

      In 1867 Mr. Hughes wedded Miss Mary Jane Butts, who was born in Boone county,. Kentucky, in 1845, a daughter of Samuel and Polly (Cooper) Butts, also natives of that state and representatives of old Virginia families. In the Butts family were five children: William T, who was a first lieu-



tenant in the Fifty-second Kentucky Volunteer Infantry during the war, and was killed while on provost duty at Lexington; Perry A., deceased, who was a member of Company A, Twenty-third Kentucky regiment, and at the battle of Resaca, while in the act of firing his rifle, was struck by a musket ball, which passed through his right wrist and took off his left arm below the elbow; Mary J.; Edward J., a resident of Missouri; and Lizzie, deceased. Mrs. Hughes died August 15, 1869, leaving one child--E. Lizzie. Our subject was again married, February 25, 1877, his second union being with Miss Lucy L., daughter of John G. Mickey, of Polk county. She is a devoted member of the Methodist church, and Mr. Hughes is identified with the Grand Army post at Osceola. At all times he votes the straight Republican ticket, and being one of the influential and popular citizens of his community, he has been proffered county offices, but has steadily refused, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business interests. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH BROCHTRUP, who owns and occupies a good farm on section 23, Center township, and has distinguished himself as one of the most active and enterprising agriculturists of Butler county, came from Wisconsin to Nebraska, in 1878. Since that time he has given close attention to the improvement of his land, upon which he has erected good buildings, and the soil of which he has brought to a high state of cultivation.

      Mr. Brochtrup was born in Washington county, Wisconsin, September 20, 1854, a son of Barnard and Annie Brochtrup, who were natives of Germany, and early settlers of the Badger state. Our subject is the oldest son in their family of ten children, nine sons and one daughter. Those in Nebraska are Joseph, Charles, Theodore, Frank, and Annie, now the wife of Henry Eiting, of Butler county, Nebraska. The rest live in Wisconsin.

      Upon the home farm in Wisconsin Joseph Brochtrup spent his boyhood and youth in much the usual manner of farmer lads, and on reaching man's estate he was united in marriage with Miss Frances Eiting, the second daughter of Barnard and Nellie (Greisbers) Eiting. Her father was born in Germany in 1822, and on coming to the new world located in Brown county, Wisconsin, where he married Nellie Greisbers, the ceremony being performed at Hollandtown, that state, in 1850. To them were born the following children: William, Hannah, Francis, Mary, Kate, John, Lizzie, Hattie, Henry, Deanie, Barnard and Frank. In 1878 Mr. Eiting brought his family to Butler county, Nebraska, and was accompanied by our subject, his wife and infant son, Barnard. After coming to this state Mr. Brochtrup's family was increased by the birth of two other children, both born in Butler county--John and Josie. The wife and mother died here in 1884, and subsequently our subject married her sister, Lizzie Eiting, by whom he has two children: Frances and Nellie. The family stand deservedly high in the estimation of their fellow-citizens and have many friends throughout this section of Butler county. 

Letter/label or barHRISTIAN SCHAAL, one of the energetic and progressive agriculturists of Seward county, resides upon a farm of two hundred and forty acres of well-improved land, which he owns in precinct C. He settled upon this place in 1880, and has made it his residence ever since, devoting his attention to its improvement and cultivation with most excellent results. He is honored and respected by the entire community, who look upon him as one of their most wide-awake farmers and model citizens.



      Mr. Schaal was born in southern Germany, December 23, 1851, and is a son of Christian and Christiana (Ketelleberger) Schaal, who, as farming people, spent their entire lives in that country, and of their family of six sons our subject is the only one who crossed the Atlantic and took up his residence in the United States. In the schools of his native land he received a good practical education, which has well fitted him for the responsible duties of life. After leaving school he served for three years in the German army. Coming to the new world in 1880, he proceeded at once to Seward county, Nebraska, and bought the farm on which he now resides, and which he has brought to its present high state of cultivation by persistent industry and good management.

      In 1880 Mr. Schaal was united in marriage with Miss Lydia Steinestel, also a native of the Fatherland, and to them have been born the following children: Charles, Ernest, Frederick, Mattie and Albert, all of whom are living. The family hold membership in Zion German Lutheran church, and are highly respected by all who know them. In his political affiliations Mr. Schaal is a Populist, and he has been called upon to fill the office of supervisor for two years, and has been a member of the school board for nine years. 

Letter/label or barEV. DAVID BROADWELL, one of the pioneers of York county, resides upon his pleasantly situated farm in section 23, Baker township.

      The subject of this biography was born September 2, 1822, in Orange county, Indiana. His parents, Henry and Elizabeth (Polson) Broadwell, were natives of North Carolina and Virginia respectively. Henry Broadwell was one of the earliest pioneers of Orange county, Indiana, having settled there about the year 1812, before Indiana became a state. He served in the war of 1812, and also in Tecumseh's Indian wars. His father moved from North Carolina to Kentucky in the early days of the latter state, and died there. Henry Broadwell married Elizabeth PoIson in Washington county, Indiana, and after several years' residence in Orange county, removed to Warrick county, and later to Gibson county of the same state, where he died.

      David Broadwell, the subject of this sketch, was about five years of age when his parents went to Warrick county, Indiana, and there he was reared on a farm. At the time the family settled there no public schools had been organized, and David's education was procured in subscription schools, which be attended about three months in the year. Until he was twenty-one years old he assisted his father on the farm, but after that he started out for himself, and cleared two farms of his own in Warrick and Gibson counties respectively, and his experience in the wooded regions of Indiana has enabled him to make a fair comparison of clearing and developing lands in the east, with the same work on the prairies of Nebraska.

     March 28, 1850, David Broadwell was married to Catherine Welty. Mrs. Broadwell is a native of Warrick county, Indiana, where she was born May 25, 1829. Her parents were John and Frances (Eby) Welty, natives of Pennsylvania, and early settlers in Warrick county, Indiana, where they died. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Broadwell made their home in Warrick county on a farm consisting of one hundred and twelve acres, only twelve of which where under cultivation. They began housekeeping in a log house, 18x20 feet, built of unhewn logs. However, it was one of the best community boasted. Mr. Broadwell taught school and raised tobacco, in which latter labor his wife did her share. By hard labor and intelligent economy

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller