NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



they got a start in life, and have from the first owned their own home and lived in it. About eight years after their marriage they sold the farm and moved to Gibson county, Indiana, where they purchased another tract of land, cleared and improved it, and it was in such schools as this they learned the true value of a dollar.

      In the fall of 1872 Mr. Broadwell made a trip to Nebraska, and purchased one hundred and sixty acres of railroad lands in York county, in section 23, township 10, range 3 (now Baker township), upon which tract he now lives. The next spring he returned to Indiana, sold the farm there, and took his family to Nebraska. For a couple of weeks they lived in the village of York, while he was erecting for themselves a frame house on the land. This house was 16x26, and theirs was one of the first frame residences built in the neighborhood. There was no lumber yard at York, and lumber was not only very expensive, but hard to get at any price. Most of the residences in those days were built of sod. He has transformed his wild prairie land into a farm of great value, improved and enhanced by all the conveniences incident to farm life.

      To Mr. and Mrs. Broadwell seven children have been been born, named as follows: Sirena, wife of J. D. White, of York; Angeline, wife of James Shipp, of Baker township; Sarah, deceased, who was the wife of John Butler, of Kansas; Fannie, deceased, who was the wife of Henry Baker, of Wyoming; John, at home; Lizzie, wife of James Ingrey, of York; David F., of Baker township.

      Although so much of his life has been devoted to agricultural pursuits and duties, yet Mr. Broadwell has found time to perform much work for the church, in which he has been engaged for the past fifty years. He is an ordained minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, and has done valuable work in the local pulpits, though he has never served as pastor. At present, owing to age and ill-health, he does no preaching, but is frequently called upon to conduct funeral services and to perform marriage ceremonies. In political views he has been a Republican since the organization of the party. He has been called to serve in many local offices, such as supervisor, school director, etc. To an unusual degree he retains the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens. 

Letter/label or barOHN ZIMMERMANN.--It is astonishing to witness the success of men who have emigrated to America without capital and from a position of comparative obscurity worked their way upward until they have become wealthy and prominent citizens of the community in which they locate. The readiness with which they adapt themselves to circumstances and take advantage of opportunities offered brings to them success and wins them a place among the leading men of their locality. Such a man is Mr. Zimmermann, who is now one of the most prosperous farmers of Fillmore county, owning a valuable place of six hundred and forty acres in Momnence precinct.

      Mr. Zimmermann was born in Bindsuchsen Kreis, Budingen, Hessen Darmstadt, Germany, December 7, 1829, a son of John C. and Margaret (Schwab) Zimmermann, who died when our subject was quite young, the former at the age of sixty-five and the latter at the age of sixty-six years. He is the youngest in their family of eleven children, of whom only three are now living, the others being Margaret and Mary.

      Being left an orphan at an early age, Mr. Zimmermann as forced to earn his own living when quite young, and at the age of fourteen commenced learning the shoemaker's trade, which he followed for eighteen years. He was educated in the public



schools of his native land, and was confirmed in the Reformed church. At the age .of twenty-nine, he was united in marriage with Miss Anna Mary Eifirt, who was born :j Germany, May 13, 1834, a daughter of Conrad and Margaret (Couck) Eifirt, who spent their entire lives in the Fatherland. She was one of a family of eleven children, all of whom remained in Germany with the exception of one sister and one brother, the latter being John Eifirt, now living in Clay county, Nebraska.

      Borrowing money to pay his passage, Mr. Zimmermann came alone to America, leaving his native land March 27, 1860, on the sailing vessel Francisco, which was thirty-one days in crossing the Atlantic. He landed in New York May 6, and the 10th of that month found him in Mendota, Illinois, where he secured work on a farm at sixteen dollars per month. He operated rented land in 1861, and made enough money to send for his wife and two children, who joined him in Illinois, where they continued to reside upon rented farms for thirteen years. In 1872 he came to Exeter, Nebraska, where he purchased a few lots, but soon returned to Illinois, and did not locate permanently in this state until the following year. On the arrival of the family in Fairmont, they lived for two weeks in the car, in which their goods had been shipped and then came to Momence precinct, where Mr. Zimmermann located his homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres, for which he paid two hundred dollars. For thirteen years the family lived in a sod house, while he broke and improved his land, in the meantime doing his trading at Fairmont, the nearest railroad station. His crops were almost totally destroyed by the grasshoppers in 1874, leaving the family in almost a starving condition, and at different times hailstorms have ruined his crops, but taking all things into consideration he has prospered in his new home and is now the owner of a valuable property. In 1883 he erected upon his place a large stock barn, and two years later built a good two-story residence, 30 x 24 feet. His place is also improved with good fences, sheds, corncribs, etc., and is to-day one of the most desirable farms in Momence precinct.

      Mr. Zimmermann died July 19, 1892, at the age of fifty-nine years, two months and six days, and was laid to rest in a cemetery on the corner of the home farm. The children born to our subject by this wife were as follows: Elizabeth, a resident of Illinois; John, a native of Illinois, who married Emma Laura Krusher and lives in Fillmore county, Nebraska; Henry, who married Racy Ohrbauer and lives in the same county; Emma, wife of Carl Becher, of Clay county, Nebraska; Samuel, who married Caroline Koenig and lives in Saline county, Nebraska; Mary, wife of James Elwood, of Clay county; Simon Philip, a resident of this state; Sarah Eliza, at home; Clara Caroline, wife of John Klink, of Fillmore county; Conrad, who died in Fillmore county; and Emma and an infant unnamed, who died in Illinois. 

Letter/label or barSAIAH HASBROUCK.--The natural advantages of this section attracted at an early day a superior class of settlers, thrifty, industrious, progressive and law-abiding, whose influence has given permanent direction to the development of the locality. Among the worthy pioneers of York county Mr. Hasbrouck holds a prominent place, and has succeeded in building up a fine homestead.

      He was born in Ulster county, New York, May 8, 1823, and is a son of Josiah and Anna Viela Hasbrouck, both natives of Paultz, that county. The paternal grandfather, Isaiah Hasbrouck, was a Frenchman by birth, and was one of the volunteer



soldiers who came in the same ship with the Marquis of La Fayette to aid the colonies in their struggle for independence. The legends of the family say he held the rank of captain. On the west bank of the Hudson river he purchased a tract of land one hundred and forty-four square miles in extent, by giving a fat ox to the chief of the Poughkeepsie tribe of Indians. Upon his land he built a stone house, in which he lived after his marriage until his death. The village in which this home is situated has for many years been known as Paultz. Some of the descendants of Captain Hasbrouck still own and occupy the old stone house.

      When the subject of this sketch was three years old his parents removed to Sullivan county, New York, and in the town of Fallsburg the father made his home until called to his final rest at the extreme old age of ninty-nine years. Isaiah Hasbrouck, of this review, also continued to reside in that town until after his marriage, which was celebrated in Newburg, New York, in 1850, Miss Mary C. Yeomans, a daughter of William and Ruth (Barber) Yeomans, becoming his wife. For five years they lived in the town of Forestburg, Sullivan county, New York, and for the following six years made their home in Fallsburg, the same county. In the fall of 1861 they removed to Albion, Noble county, Indiana, but a few months later proceeded westward and took up their residence in DeKalb county, Illinois, where they remained until coming to York county, Nebraska, on the 6th of August, 1869. They have since lived upon their present farm, where Mr. Hasbrouck now has three hundred and twenty acres of land under a high state of cultivation and well improved, being worth ten thousand dollars. In their family are two children: Mrs. Henry Rhoads and William S. Hasbrouck, who have been married several years, and have children grown. They. live in the same neighborhood as their parents.

      Since voting for Abraham Lincoln, Mr. Hasbrouck has been an ardent Republican, and gives his support to all measures which he believes calculated to advance the general welfare. Both he and his wife are leading members of the Christian church, of Bradshaw, where they earnestly work for the good of humanity. Their lives have ever been in harmony with their professions, and their genuine worth and many excellencies of character have won for them the esteem and confidence of the entire community. 

Letter/label or barAMES F. BUNTING.--No state in the Union can boast of a more heroic band of pioneers than Nebraska. In their intelligence, capability and genius they were far above the pioneers of the eastern states, and by their earnest labors they have established a commonwealth, which within a comparatively few years has won a place among the foremost states of the Union. Mr. Bunting is a representative of the early settlers who have been active factors in opening up Butler county to civilization and has manifested a public-spirited loyalty in support of all enterprises for the general good. After many years have passed away he will be honored by future generations as one of the founders of the county and the promoters of its progress. He now resides on section 27, Franklin township, where he owns and operates a valuable farm.

      A native of Richmond, Wayne county, Indiana, Mr. Bunting was born May 14, 1844, and is the fourth in a family of nine children. When six years of age he accompanied his parents on their removal to Mercer county, Illinois, where he was reared, his attention being given to farm work, to the duties of the school-room and to the pleasures of youth. In 1872 he came to Butler county, Nebraska, and was one of the first to settle on the tableland in what is now Franklin township. At that time



there were only about ten families in the entire township, and the work of development and improvement seemed scarcely begun. With characteristic energy Mr. Bunting began the cultivation of his land, upon which he resided for about five years, when he removed to David City, and engaged in business as a painter, glazier and paper hanger, devoting his energies to that pursuit until 1893. Since that time, with the exception of a year and a half spent in Missouri, he has resided continuously upon the farm which is now his home, and the many excellent improvements thereon are monuments to his thrift and industry.

      Mr. Bunting was married December 25, 1872, to Sylvia C. Brown, who was born in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, January 11, 1846, a daughter of Rev. Samuel L. and Cynthia C. (Billings) Brown, who were natives of the Keystone state. The father was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, and when she was four years of age he removed with his family to Rock county, Wisconsin. He afterward engaged in preaching for seven years in Minnesota, for one year in Iowa, and in 1871 came to Butler county, Nebraska. His death occurred in 1895, but his widow is still living, and makes her home in David City. Mrs. Bunting is therefore one of the earlist settlers of the county. She is a lady of culture and refinement, and for sixteen terms engaged in teaching school, being employed for three terms in this county. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Bunting has been blessed with five living children, namely: Lulu, Ada, Herbert, Alfarata and Ruth, and they also lost one son, Ray, who died at the age of three years.

      Mr. Bunting has taken some part in political affairs and has served as township assessor, collector of delinquent taxes, census enumerator and road master. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and are highly esteemed people, whose circle of friends is extensive. 

Letter/label or barON. J. HENRY BICK.--Rising above the head of the mass are many men of sterling worth and value, who by sheer perseverance and pluck have conquered fortune, and by their own unaided efforts have arisen from the ranks of the commonplace to eminence and positions of respect and trust. It was to his perseverance and indomitable energy that Mr. Bick owed his success in life, and he not only prospered in business affairs but attained to a high position in political circles. For twenty years he was one of the most wide-awake and popular citizens of Seward county, and by his death, which occurred February 1, 1890, the community realized that it had lost one of its most valued and useful citizens.

      Mr. Bick was born in Waldeck, Germany, in 1842, a son of Frederick Bick, and was one of seven sons, three of whom are now residents of Seward county. On coming to the United States in 1852 our subject located in Wisconsin, and when the Civil war broke out he offered his services to his adopted country to assist in putting down the Rebellion, enlisting for three years in Company K, Ninth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. When his term had expired he re-enlisted in Company B, of the same regiment, and was in the service for three years and nine months, being honorably discharged when hostilities ceased.

      Returning to his home in Wisconsin, Mr. Bick was there married, in 1867, to Miss Amelia Schumecker, a native of Berlin, Germany, who came to the United States in 1854, and they became the parents of five children, namely: Albert, Henry, Vina, Louis and Emma. The mother was called to her final rest October 4, 1897.

      Coming to Seward county, Nebraska, in 1870, Mr. Bick homesteaded a tract of land adjoining the farm where his family now live, and built thereon a sod house, in which they lived while he improved the land. He prospered in his undertakings,



and at the time of his death owned three hundred and sixty acres of valuable land. He became a recognized leader in local politics, though he was independent, and was called upon to fill many of the township offices. In 1880 he was elected to the lower house of the state legislature, and so ably did he represent his district that he was re-elected in 1886. Religiously he held membership in the German Evangelical church, and as an officer in the same he took an active part in its work. His family is quite prominent in the best social circles of the community. 

Letter/label or barOHN T. MAPPS, one of the pioneer farmers of Lockridge township, York county, Nebraska, was born in Will county, Illinois, November 20, 1853, a son of William Mapps, a sketch of whom will appear on another page of this volume.

      Our subject was educated in Will county, Illinois, and as soon as he was able to do manual labor he began working on a farm. He followed this vocation in Illinois until 1882, when he moved to York county, Nebraska. He bought eighty acres of land in Lockridge township, of that county, improved it and has since made that his home. In 1892 Mr. Mapps added to his already neat and quite extensive line of improvements one of the finest farm residences in York county.

      Mr. Mapps was married in 1888 to Miss Hattie Frey, a native of the state of Illinois, and a daughter of Jacob H. and Margaret (Hartung) Frey, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively. Mr. Frey moved to Illinois in 1854 and settled in Will county, and made that his home until 1897, and since that time he has resided with our subject in York county, Nebraska. Mrs. Mapp's mother died in Illinois in 1893..

      The subject of our sketch is a stanch Populist in political views, but has never sought public office. Socially he is identified with the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He has an elegant home, a fine farm, and enjoys the confidence and respect of all who know him. Mr. and Mrs. Mapps have no children. 

Letter/label or bar . D. POTTER., M. D., holds high rank in the medical profession, and is regarded as one of the ablest physicians and surgeons of Seward county. He resides in Seward, but the field of labors extends over a wide section of the adjoining country. He is an earnest student of his profession, and is scientific in all his methods. He cares little for tradition, has no school, and only asks what will heal the sick.

      Dr. Potter was born in Cortland county, New York, February 14, 1855. His parents, John V. and Adelle (Brooks) Potter, where natives of the same state, and were devoted to rural pursuits. They are now living at Salem, South Dakota. They were the parents of four sons and three daughters. Two of the sons are physicians. The grandfather of the Doctor was Paris Potter. He was born in New York, and in that state he lived and died. He was a brother of Dr. Vernon Potter, a pioneer surgeon of central New York, and who was widely known through that section of New York, and adjoining states. He lived and died at Rome, New York. Dr. D. D. Potter attended the public school, an academy at Cincinnatus, and the state normal at Cortland. He taught school and read medicine for some years following the termination of his student days. In 1878 he went to Minnesota and taught school in Noble county with much success. In 1881 he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, and was graduated from that institution in 1883. He located at Seward, and has continued the



practice of his profession with much success to the present moment. In 1890 he took a postgraduate course of lectures in New York, and the next year accepted the chair of Physical Diagnosis and Disease of the Respiratory and Circulatory Systems in the Medical Department of Cotner University at Lincoln, and held it for four years. He delivered the address to the first graduating class from that department. He was admitted to the State Medical society in 1888, and in 1896 assisted in the organization of the Seward County Medical Society, of which he was the first president.

      Dr. Potter was married, in 1876, to Miss Ella Kidney. She was born in Cleveland, and died in Minnesota in 1880. Four years later he led Miss Ida McPheely to the altar of matrimony. She was born in Pennsylvania, and is a lady of social qualities. Her father was a foreman in the Fort Pitt Foundry during the late war. She is the mother of two sons, Brooks R. and Herbert M. They are members of the Congregational church, and are quick to identify themselves with every uplifting and broadening movement that reaches the community. He takes a lively interest in fraternal affairs, and is a member of the Masonic order and the Knights of Pythias. He votes the Republican ticket in the main, and for four years has been a member of the school board. He is earnest in his professional ambitions, and keeps abreast of his vocation. He is reaping the reward of his devotion, and enjoys a large practice. 

Letter/label or barDWARD A. TOMLIN, an energetic and prosperous farmer residing on section 21, Stanton precinct, Fillmore county, was born in Mason county, Illinois, January 6, 1859, and is a son of Hathorn and Sarah A. (Preston) Tomlin, who are now living retired in Mason City, Illinois, the former at the age of seventy, the latter at the age of sixty years. Our subject's ancestors came from New Jersey, and his grandfather Tomlin was a seaman while living in the east and became quite wealthy. He spent his last days in Illinois, where he died at the age of seventy and his wife at the age of sixty-five years, the remains of both being interred in the Mason City cemetery. Our subject is one of a family of twelve children, but only two besides himself are now living, the others being Emma, wife of Louis Watkins, a farmer of Mason county, Illinois, and Bell, wife of Felix Summers, a farmer of the same state.

      In the county of his nativity Edward A. Tomlin grew to manhood, and in its common schools he obtained his elementary education, which was supplemented by a course in the high school of Mason City. Being thus well qualified to engage in teaching, he embarked in that profession, and successfully taught school both in Illinois and Kansas. On the 25th of December, 1884, he was united in marriage with Miss Maggie Cruse, of Mason county, Illinois, who was born there in May, 1865, and was educated in the common schools of that state. Her parents were David and Hannah (Tomlin) Cruse, natives of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, respectively. They are now living in Adams county, Nebraska, and are faithful and earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal church. To them were born eleven children, six sons and five daughters, all still living, namely: Walker C. and Matthew M., who are both married and living in Adams county, Nebraska; Elizabeth E., a resident of Logan county, Illinois; Maggie M., wife of our subject; Roxanna B., who is married and lives in Adams county, Nebraska; Sidney D., who is married and lives in Pennsylvania; John S., a resident of Hall county, Nebraska; Ora E., who is married and lives in Mason county, Illinois; and George I., Charles R. and Josephine, all at home. Mr. and Mrs.



Tomlin have a family of four daughters: Sarah Gertrude, aged thirteen years; Jessie May, aged eleven; Ora Alta, aged five; and Golda, aged one.

      From Illinois Mr. and Mrs. Tomlin removed to Kansas, where he bought a lease to a quarter section of school land, and on selling that place came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, in March, 1890. After renting for a year he bought one hundred and sixty acres near Shickley, for which he paid four thousand dollars, but eighteen months later he sold that place for five thousand dollars and purchased one hundred and sixty acres in Stanton precinct for three thousand seven hundred dollars. A few acres had been placed under the plow, but no other improvements had been made up on the place, which he had since transformed into one of the best farms of the locality, it being under a high state of cultivation and equipped with good and substantial buildings. While living on his first Nebraska farm, in Momence precinct, he raised, one thousand seven hundred dollars worth of wheat, besides three thousand bushels of corn and a large quaintly of oats, all inside of two years. A part of the farm was also pasture and meadow lands. In his new home he has prospered and has never yet had occasion to regret his coming to this state. He is a shrewd business man and enterprising farmer, and the success that has come to him is certainly well deserved. In his political affiliations he is a Prohibitionist, and in religious faith is a United Brethren. 

Letter/label or bar. A. RUTAN is one of the enterprising, energetic and industrious citizens of Seward county, engaged in general farming in township C. His birth occurred in Plainfield, Will county, Illinois, June 5, 1859, his parents being Daniel D. and Keziah (Zabriskie) Rutan, both natives of New Jersey. The father followed farming the greater part of his life and resided at different times in New York, Michigan and Illinois, coming to Seward county, Nebraska, in 1884. Here he continued to make his home until his death, which occurred in 1889, and his widow is now a resident of Staplehurst. Of their children only two are now living, the daughter being now the wife of C. W. Dey, of Seward county. One son, Howard, died in infancy in Illinois.

      L. A. Rutan, of this review, was reared and educated in Livingston county, Illinois, arid after attaining to man's estate, engaged in farming there until his removal to Nebraska in 1884. He has since made his home in Seward county, and has successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits.

      On the 5th of September, 1883, Mr. Rutan led to the marriage altar Miss Hattie Canham, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Henry and Mary (Daniels) Canham. To them have been born eight children, who are still living, namely: Lavina, Charles, Ollie, Myrtle, Herbert, Lilly, Mildred and Hattie. The parents hold membership in the Presbyterian church and are widely and favorably known throughout their adopted county. Socially, Mr. Rutan affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and politically is identified with the Republican party. 

Letter/label or barATHER ROCHE, whose portrait is presented with this sketch, was born in Canada in 1865, and educated in Ottawa University and St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore. He was ordained in 1892, and has labored in Nebraska since his ordination. Since coming to David City he has written several books on religious subjects that have already made a name for him in the literary world.

      St. Mary's church has a bright future before it. Its history is the history of the



county--of humble beginnings and gradual but sure growth, in which it has more than kept pace with the advancement and prosperity of the county. The pioneer Catholics who played so important a part in the foundation and progress of the church cannot be omitted from a work of this character. Prominent among them were Nicholas Miller, Mr. Fenlon, Hon. M. C. Delaney, Nic Hastert, Richard Kinsella, Thomas Boston, Thomas Dowling and Dominick McGuire. The families of almost all the aforesaid are still members of St. Mary's parish. Prominent amongst the present members are Frank Ege, John Litty, Hon. I. I. Graham, John Knott, John Steiner, Frank Litty, Thomas Fox, P. Garhan, P. Doran, John Reisdorf, Peter Reisdorf, William Van Den Berg, Joseph Axmaker, Mich. Holland, August Miller, Peter Fenlon, Dan Holland and Adolph Nitche.

      At the present time Father Roche is engaged in the erection of a school, which will be opened for the children of St. Mary's Parish September 1, 1899. It has been the aim of the Catholic church in every part of the United States to provide religious instruction for the children from their earliest years. To this end she has endeavored, wherever it is possible, to erect schools of her own, holding firmly to the belief that separate schools are no greater an anamoly (sic) than separate churches. 

Letter/label or bar. A. TAYLOR, cashier of the Bank of Benedict.--This bank was founded in 1890, by Ex-Judge G. W. Post, B. B. Crownover and others, with a capital stock of ten thousand dollars. The officers at that time were, Judge Post, president; and Mr. Crownover, cashier; and Lee Martin, vice-president. The judge is still the president of the institution, but the cashier is W. A. Taylor, who is also the acting manager of the affairs of the bank.

      Mr. Taylor was born in Washington county, Iowa, in 1869, and is a brother of A. B. Taylor, whose sketch will appear on another page of this volume. Our subject was four years of age when he moved with his parents to Saline county, Nebraska, where he was reared and educated. He attended the public schools of the comunity (sic) in which he lived, and subsequently attended the Lincoln Business college, and graduated from the shorthand department of that institution in 1887. His early life was spent on a farm in Saline county, and he also resided for a time in Chase county. He then studied law and was admitted to the bar, but has never practiced that profession. In 1890, he was made cashier of the Bank of Henderson, Nebraska, and was thus employed until 1894. In that year he purchased an interest in the Bank of Benedict, moved to that city and took charge of that institution.

      In 1890 Mr. Taylor was united in marriage to Miss Alice E. Barton, a resident of Saline county, Nebraska, and their wedded life has been blessed to them by the presence of a little daughter, upon whom they have seen fit to bestow the name of Eunice. Mr. Taylor is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In politics he is a Republican. He has held the office of village treasurer for four successive terms. He is a man of good executive ability, both in the management of his own affairs and the more intricate affairs of the banking institution with which he is connected. 

Letter/label or barILS ANDERSON, one of the most distinguished and honored citizens of Fillmore county, finds an appropriate place in the history of those men of business and enterprise in the state of Nebraska, whose force of character, whose fortitude amid discouragements, whose good sense in the



management of complicated affairs and, marked success in establishing large business enterprises and bringing to completion great schemes of trade and profit, have contributed in an eminent degree to the development of the vast resources of this noble commonwealth. His career has not been helped by accident or luck, or wealth, or powerful friends. He is in the broadest sense a self-made man, being both the architect and builder of his own fortune. At present he makes his home on section 6, Bryant precinct, and is the owner of large tracts of land in Fillmore county.

      Mr. Anderson was born in Sweden, December 19, 1840, and was provided with excellent educational advantages, being a student in a college at Christianstad. Throughout life he has made farming his occupation, and continued to follow that pursuit for some years in his native land. There, he was married, in 1863, to Miss Annie Nelson, who died a year later, and in 1866 he led to the marriage altar Nellie Nelson. Three years later they sailed for the new world, and first located in Moline, Illinois, where they made their home until coming to Fillmore county, Nebraska, in 1872. His wife died in this county, September 13, 1888, leaving one son, August, who is now thirty-one years of age. He is a graduate of Rush Medical college, of Chicago, has also. taken a post-graduate course at the Medical College of Lincoln, Nebraska, and is now a successful physician, enjoying an extensive practice at Belvidere, Thayer county, Nebraska. Their adopted daughter, Miss Gertie Anderson, a niece of Mrs. Anderson, joined the family circle before Mrs. Anderson's death. She is now twenty-four years of age.

      On reaching Fillmore county, Mr. Anderson's property consisted of one yoke of cattle and twenty-five dollars in money. In Bryant precinct he secured a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, but being a man of good business ability, enterprising, industrious and persevering, he has prospered in his new home, and is now the owner of two thousand and eighty acres of the finest farming land in Fillmore, Nuckolls and Clay counties. His home place is under excellent cultivation, and is improved with commodious and substantial builnings (sic). In connection with general farming he is also extensively engaged in stock raising, and now has one hundred and fifty-nine head of cattle, besides twenty head of fine bred horses, hogs, etc. He was also at one time stockholder and cashier of the Peoples Bank of Davenport, Thayer county, Nebraska.

      Twice Mr. Anderson and his family visited Sweden, first in 1885 and again in 1895, and he was honored with a letter of introduction from H. A. Herbert, secretary of the United States navy to Rear Admiral W. A. Kirkland, commanding United States fleet, European squadron at the opening of the canal between the North and the Baltic seas at the ceremonies at Kiel, Germany, in June, 1895. In 1881 he was elected to the state legislature to represent Clay and Fillmore counties, and in 1898 was re-elected on the Populist ticket, to represent the thirty-seventh district, which is Fillmore county. He was also appointed by Governor Holcomb, of Nebraska, as a member of the Trans-Mississippi Gulf and Interstate Transportation committee, which met at Omaha, June 22, 1898, and has served as a school director and justice of the peace for ten years. At the age of fourteen he was confirmed in the Swedish Lutheran church, and organized the first Swede Lutheran church in Fillmore county. He is a Mason in high standing, being a Knight Templar and a Shriner. He is always courteous, kindly and affable, and those who know him personally have for him warm regard. His life is exemplary in many respects, and he has ever supported those interests which



are calculated to uplift and benefit humanity, and his own high moral worth is deserving of the highest commendation 

Letter/label or barT. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH OF DAVID CITY--ITS HISTORY.--The history of the Catholic church of David City had its beginning in pioneers who came from other states and settled on the unbroken prairies lying immediately to the south of the Platte river. About the year 1869 a colony from Luxemburg settled in the place now known as the Valley. They formed the nucleus of a thriving settlement, and as they were all Catholics they strove to keep alive the faith they had brought with them from far-off Luxemburg.

      Father Kelly, still living in Omaha, was the first priest to say mass in Butler county in June, 1871. It was said at the home of Thomas Dowling, in the place now occupied by Nic Heldjeth, of Center township. He returned a few times in the following years to minister to the spiritual needs of the scattered Catholics. Another priest from West Point said mass for the first time in the Mysenburg home in 1873. The history of the church in David City properly dates from the year 1877 when the fathers of the Franciscan Monastery at Columbus assumed charge of the place and took immediate steps for the erection of a church. The following entries are to be found in the records of St. Mary's church: "In the year 1877, on the nineteenth day of September, Rev. Ambrose Jansen, O. S. F., of the Monastery of Columbus, Nebraska, said mass in the court house, David City. After services that day the Catholics of David City and vicinity unanimously took the resolution of building a church. Messrs. Thomas Dowling, Dr. T. J. Murphy and Nicholas Miller were appointed trustees. Right Reverend Bishop O'Connor gladly gave his consent, and the people, under the direction of their newly appointed pastor, Rev. John Gaffron, O. S. F., immediately began the work. Mr. Magnus Litty and his wife, Anna, of Richardson county, Nebraska, gave by way of a donation a block of land for the building ground. The building, 28 1/2 x 45 feet, was so far advanced by the third Sunday of January, 1878, that on that day the first mass could be celebrated, although it was not yet plastered, partly because the weather was too cold, and partly because the means to finish the building were lacking." The other Franciscan fathers, who successively had charge of the David City mission were Rev. Cyprian Banscherd, Rev. Cyril Augustinsky, Rev. Seraphim Lampe and Rev. Boniface.

     The last of the Franciscans was succeeded by Fr. Rheindorff, who, according to the records, took charge of the church January 6, 1883, and remained until about May 1 of the same year. The last entry in the church books made by Fr. Rheindorff is for pew rent received by him April 15, 1883. Rev. John Miller, now pastor of Petersburg in the Omaha diocese, succeeded him September 4 of the same year. He remained until May 1, 1886. On May 16 of the same year, Rev. H. Bex, now of Falls City in this diocese, assumed charge and remained in charge of St. Mary's church up to September 1, 1894. During his incumbency many improvements were made. The church was enlarged to double its former size, a new parochial residence was erected, and. the congregation was established on a firm and enduring basis. Fr. Bex left the church in excellent financial condition. Both he and Fr. Miller much endeared themselves to the people of St. Mary's. Fr. English, now of St. Peter's church in Omaha, succeeded Fr. Bex and remained from September 1, 1894, to January 1, 1895. On his leaving, the parish had no permanent pastor until May 1 of the same year, when Rev. J. T. Roche was transferred from the

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller