NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



ized, even by those who were active participants in the transformation that has taken. place. When our subject located here nearly all the land was still in its primitive condition, the few settlers were widely scattered and the Indians were far more numerous than the white men.

      Mr. Hafer was born in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, January 31, 1844, and is a son of Andrew and Susan (Foust) Hafer, highly respected farming people, who spent their entire lives in the Keystone state. The mother died in Nebraska while here on a visit. Their family consisted of ten children, six sons and four daughters, and of these our subject and a sister now make their home in Seward county, Nebraska. During his boyhood and youth Levi Hafer attended school in his native state, and when his education was completed he engaged in farming there until 1868, when he decided to try his fortune in the west and came to Seward county, driving across the country from Illinois. He took up a homestead where he now lives, erected thereon a sod house, and at once turned his attention to the improvement and cultivation of his land, which he soon converted into a fine farm. He now owns four hundred acres of land, all under a high state of cultivation and equipped with all the accessories and conveniences of a model farm of the nineteenth century.

      In Pennsylvania, in 1866, Mr. Hafer was united in marriage with Miss Sarah L. Huffman, a native of that state and a daughter of Daniel and Mary (Frymire) Huffman, and to this worthy couple have been born the following children: Martin A., Ervin R., John S., Susie M. and Charles E., all living; and the following now deceased: Lewis F., Ida M., William T., Ernest R. and Daniel B. The family hold membership in the United Brethren church of Seward, of which Mr. Hafer is one of the officers, and he assisted in building the first church ever erected in the county, having always taken an active interest in every movement calculated to benefit his fellow men. Being a strong temperance man, he casts his ballot for the men and measures of the Prohibition party and does all in his power to advance its interests. The success that he has achieved in life is due entirely to his own unaided efforts, and he has not only gained a handsome competence, but has won the esteem of all who know him. Mr. Hafer has given special attention to the breeding of pure Poland China hogs and now owns one of the finest herds in the county. 

Letter/label or barHE FAIRMONT TRIBUNE, one of the leading and most popular journals of Fillmore county, was founded January 15, 1897, by C. J. .Resler and Norman Jackson, who conducted it until April of that year, when E. T. Child became interested in the plant, the firm becoming Resler & Child. On the 1st of March, 1898, Mr. Resler retired, and since then Mr. and Mrs.. Child have conducted the paper quite successfully and have displayed marked skill and ability in its management. The circulation has been increased from eighty-eight to over three hundred.

      Mr. Child is a native of Iowa, born in Dunlap, Harrison county, in 1873, and was reared and educated in that state, attending first the common schools and later the Woodbine Normal School at Woodbine, Iowa. For four years he successfully engaged in teaching school in Iowa and at the same time was also employed by the publishers of the "Wallace Farmer and Dairyman," and The Iowa Homestead." In April, 1897, he came to Fairmont, Nebraska, and became connected with "The Tribune," since which time he has devoted his entire attention to journalism. In his political proclivities Mr. Child is a stalwart



supporter of the Populist party and its principles, and both personally and in his editorial utterance he wields a potent influence in furthering the interest of its cause. He has served as a delegate to the different conventions of his party, and is a member of the Sons and Daughters of Protection. He is an enterprising and progressive young man, and has succeeded in building up a good business in his chosen profession.

      In Iowa, Mr. Child was married, in April, 1897, to Miss Mamie B. Hall, of Ames, that state, and to them has been born a daughter, Frances H. Mrs. Child is a most estimable lady and has been of great assistance to her husband in the publication of the "Tribune." 

Letter/label or bar. W. MAXWELL.--Among the active and enterprising farmers and stock raisers of Hackberry precinct, Polk county, the gentleman whose name stands at the head of this sketch holds a prominent place. His home is on the southeast quarter of section 14, township 13, range 1, and he has one hundred and sixty acres, all but ten of which are under excellent cultivation, and well improved with good and substantial buildings, which stand as monuments to his thrift and industry.

      Mr. Maxwell was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, February 10, 1834, and is a son of Benjamin and Jane (McCormick) Maxwell, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. The paternal grandfather, Henry Maxwell, was a native of Ireland, and settled in Pennsylvania on coming to the new world with his father, who took up arms against the mother country in the Revolutionary war. Our subject's maternal grandfather, William McCormick, was born in Scotland, and at an early age crossed the Atlantic and took up his residence in Virginia. The parent of our subject were married in Montgomery county, Ohio, and in 1834 emigrated to Indiana, becoming pioneer settlers of Carroll county, where the father cleared and improved a farm, but in 1850 moved to Jefferson county, Iowa, and again opened up a new farm on what was then the frontier. There he died in 1884 and his wife in 1882, honored and respected by all who knew them. Prompted by a love of country he enlisted in October, 1861, at the age of sixty years, in Company F, Third Iowa Cavalry, and served for one year. By his horse falling one of his wrists was broken, and he was honorably discharged at the end of that time. In his family were fourteen children, nine of whom reached years of maturity, namely: John, now deceased; George, who went to Oregon in 1850, and was a major in an Indian war, and also governor of Washington territory; W. W., the subject of this sketch; Abner, now dead, who was also a member of the Third Iowa Cavalry during the Civil war; Mrs. Elizabeth Root, a resident of Jefferson county, Iowa; Mrs. Isabel Frazee, who lives near Thayer, Nebraska; Harvey, a resident of Jefferson county, Iowa, who was a soldier in the Thirteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was never off duty except six days during his entire service; Isaac, who also lives in Jefferson county, Iowa; and James, who was drowned in Iowa.

      During his infancy W. W. Maxwell was taken by his parents to their new home in Carroll county, Indiana, and was fifteen years of age when he accompanied them on their removal to Jefferson county, Iowa. He received a common-school education and began life for himself at the age of eighteen years, working out by the month for four years. He then engaged in farming on his own account in Iowa until August, 1861, when he laid aside all personal interests and enlisted in Company F, Third Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, as wagoner. He was sent to St. Louis on a scouting expedition



of ten days, but never got back to his regiment for over two years. By way of Jefferson City, he went to Mexico, Booneville and Fulton, Mo., where he arrived December 25, 1861. Later he was again at Mexico and Paris, Missouri, and then back again to Mexico, where he responded to a call for one hundred men to go to Camp Jackson, St. Louis. From there he went to Rolla, Missouri, and then to Lebanon, and was sent to Houston, where General Warren was stationed. He was in the engagement's against Price and Marmaduke at Hartsville, and in December started for Little Rock, Arkansas, but on reaching Pleasant Plains was ordered back to Pilot Knob; where he remained until going to Helena, Arkansas. After the rebels were driven from that place he returned to Pilot Knob, and July 1, 1863, started for Little Rock with General Davidson's command, which met General's Steele's forces near Brownsville, where an engagement was brought on. The Third Iowa Cavalry were the first Union soldiers to enter Little Rock, and after a short time spent there were ordered to Lebanon, Arkansas, where they were engaged in scouting, etc. There Mr. Maxwell re-enlisted with seven hundred and seven of the regiment, and was granted a thirty days' furlough. He was sent to Memphis, Tennessee, was in the fight at Guntown, and also at Memphis during Forrest's raid. The regiment was re-united at Benton, Arkansas. Our subject remained at Memphis until December, 1864, when he was ordered to Louisville, Kentucky, and was later sent to the hospital at Keokuk, Iowa. He was mustered out with his regiment and paid off at Davenport, Iowa, in August, 1865, returning home with an honorable war record, of which he may be justly proud.

      After farming for one year in Jefferson county, Mr. Maxwell removed to Keokuk county, Iowa, where he was similarly employed for four years, and then came to Polk county, Nebraska, taking up his residence upon his present homestead May 1, 1870. While he and his wife were erecting their sod house they spent the nights in a dug-out belonging to Colonel Roberts. They had no neighbors; there had been no roads laid out, and they had to go to Lincoln to do their marketing, but notwithstanding the inconveniences and hardships, their pioneer life was a happy one. With the exception of two years spent in the hotel business in Rising City, Mr. Maxwell has given his entire time and attention to the improvement and cultivation of his farm, which is now one of the best in the locality.

      While home on a veteran furlough, Mr. Maxwell was married February 18, 1864, to Miss Rebecca Sunderland, who was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of William and Matilda (Klechner) Sunderland, natives of Maryland and Ohio, respectively. In 1851 her parents emigrated to Iowa, where the father died in 1851, but the mother is still living. Their children were Mrs. Maxwell; John, who died in the service of his country during the Rebellion, being a member of the Forty-fifth Iowa Infantry; Alvin; Mrs. Martha Abraham; Joseph; Harry; and William. Of the ten children born to Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell, six are living: Pearl, now the wife of Richard Marsden, by whom she has three children, Ruby, Verne, Willie and an infant; Ida, wife of Perry Pogue, by whom she has three children, Ethel, Fay and Harry; Hayes; Ellsworth; and Alvin. The parents are both faithful members of the United Brethren church of their township, in which Mr. Maxwell is serving as trustee and treasurer of the board. He is one of the most prominent members of B. F. Stephenson Post, No. 132, G. A. R., of Gresham, in which he has filled all the offices, being the present commander. He has always been an ardent supporter of the Republican party,



takes an active and influential part in local political affairs, and has frequently served as a delegate to the conventions of his party. For three years he was an efficient county commissioner of Polk county, and for many years has been a member of the school board, being the present moderator in school district No. 3. Together with W. F. McClean and Levi Fuller, he organized the Old Settlers' Society of Polk county, calling the first meeting August 18, 1885, at which time there were between five and six thousand people in attendance. 

Letter/label or barEORGE W. GRIBBLE is one of the most popular and influential agriculturists of precinct F, Seward county, and is a true type of western progress and enterprise, taking a deep and commendable interest in public affairs, and giving his support to all undertakings which he believes calculated to advance the interests of his township and county along any line.

      Mr. Gribble is a native of Pennsylvania, his birth occurring in Fayette county, October 30, 1855. His parents, John and Malinda (McCormick) Gribble, were also born in Fayette county, where the father still continues to follow the occupation of farming, which he has made his lifework. In the family were five sons, but our subject is the only one in the west. He is indebted to the public schools of his native county for his educational advantages, and his business training was obtained upon the home farm, where he remained until attaining his majority. In 1876 he went to Fulton county, Illinois, where the following four years were passed, and in 1880 became a resident of Seward county, Nebraska, his home being in precinct F since that time. That year he was united in marriage with Miss Edith Henderson, a daughter of Samuel Henderson, whose sketch appears on another page of this volume.

      Seven children grace this union: Blanch, Lawrence, Iva, Nellie, Grace, Elsie Z. and John S., all living.

      Socially Mr. Gribble affiliates with the Woodmen of the World, and the Modern Woodmen of America, and politically is identified with the People's party. His fellow citizens recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to public office, and he most acceptably served as supervisor of F township from 1886 to 1893, chairman of the county board of supervisors three years, assessor two terms, and has also filled some school offices. In 1891 he was the candidate of his party for sheriff of the county, and was defeated by only forty-one votes, his popularity being plainly indicated by the large vote he received. 

Letter/label or bar. DOUGLAS BENNETT, an ambitious and wide-awake farmer, with business habits and proclivities, has his home on section 17, Waco township, and is one of the most prominent characters of York county. He is still in the prime of life, and made a record for himself of which any man could be proud.

      Mr. Bennett was born in Clarke county, Indiana, March 20, 1856, and was only five and a half years old when his parents brought him to Adams county, Illinois. There he lived until he attained manhood. He was a student in the common schools, and made of their opportunities. He was born and bred a farmer, and though he has tried other occupations, yet the habits and methods of early life were not easily broken, and the farm has always wooed him back from any other work to which he might have set his hand. When twenty-one years old he struck out for himself, and immediately contracted a marriage with Miss. Harriet H. Robertson, a native of Adams county, Illinois, where she was born March 20, 1856. She is a daughter of Joseph



Robertson, who is now a resident of Seward county, Nebraska. The young husband engaged in farming in Illinois until 1890, when he came into this county, and settled where we find him today. He bought a place that was partially improved, and putting up a little frame residence, sixteen feet square, and a sod stable, was ready for work. He built his present residence in 1892, and is most comfortably and conveniently located. He holds an uncontested title to two hundred and forty acres of as good land as the state presents, and practically has it all under cultivation. He is engaged in general farming, has a good grade of stock on. his place, and is constantly improving it. In 1884 he moved into the city of Waco, and engaged in the insurance business for a year, and was in a store for a year, but went back to the farm. After two years in the country he located at Gresham, where he was in the livery business for three years, but the farm was too attractive, and he came back to it once more. This time he staid. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett are the parents of seven children, all of whom are still living. The oldest daughter, Mary Ethel, is the wife of Warren Moore. The other and younger children are all at home. Their names are Jephtha L., Lora, Nellie Myrtle, Jennie E., Lulu A. and Ezra T. J. He is a member of the Ancient Order Order of United Workmen, at Gresham, and votes and works with the People's party in all matters of political importance. He has been treasurer of the township, and is the present moderator of school district, No. 51.

      Mr. Bennett traces his descent from an old and respectable family of North Carolina. His father and mother were both natives of that state. Thomas Bennett was born in 1808 and Rachel (Prather) Bennett in 1811. He was a farmer, and when he married in North Carolina, it was with the resolution that his home should be in the west. They emigrated to Indiana nearly sixty years ago, and in 1858, removed to Adams county, Illinois, where he settled on a prairie farm. He lived there all the rest of his days and died there October 4, 1877. She still survives, and keeps her home on the Adams county homestead. They were the parents of ten children: Alvin, Chloe, Emma, Benton, Nancy, Sarah, Jefferson, Kate, Missouri, and the subject of this article. They were members of the Methodist church south, and were much esteemed by those who knew them best. 

Letter/label or barHE FILLMORE CHRONICLE, of Fairmont, is the Pioneer paper of Fillmore county, and is one of the best edited and most popular journals in this section of the state. It was founded May 1, 1872, as the Fairmont "Bulletin" and retained that name until 1886, when it was changed to the Fillmore "Chronicle." It changed ownership from time to time until 1885, when it was purchased by Joseph Frazier and his son, Lou W., who then took charge of the same.

      Joseph Frazier was a native of Jefferson county, Ohio, born June 11, 1828, and grew to manhood in that state, where he followed the millwright's trade and engaged in merchandising up to the time of the breaking out of the Civil war. In 1861, be responded to his country's call for aid, enlisting in Company G, Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for ninety days. At the end of that time he was mustered out with the rank of second lieutenant, but soon afterward re-enlisted as a private in Company B, of the same regiment, and was in many of the important battles of the war until wounded at Kenesaw Mountain, June 24, 1863, being shot by a sharpshooter through the left arm and shoulder. Being unfit for further service, he was honorably discharged and returned home. He re-



mained in Ohio until November, 1870, when he came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead on section 12, Grafton township, where the Fillmore Mills are now located. There he engaged in milling for a short time, but in the spring of 1875 came to Fairmont and for some years ran a hack line from that place to York. He then followed different occupations until he became interested in what is now the Fillmore "Chronicle" of which he was editor and manager until 1889, when he was compelled to relinquish the work on account of failing health and lived retired until his death on the 13th of August, 1892, after eighteen months' illness.

      In 1857, in Ohio, Joseph Frazier was united in marriage with Miss Talitha Spence, who was born in Harrison county, Ohio, and is still living in Fairmont, Nebraska. Of the five children born to this union, one son and one daughter, also survive, namely; Lou W. and Anna M. Mr. Frazier affiliated with the Grand Army of the Republic and was a charter member of Fairmont Post. Politically he was an ardent Republican, and took an active and prominent part in the councils of his party. He also assisted in the organization of the county, and was recognized as one of the most valuable and useful citizens of his community. He had many warm friends, and his death was deeply regretted by all who new him.

      Lou W. Frazier was born in Belmont county, Ohio, December 2, 1869. He was reared in this state and educated in the schools of Fairmont. At the age of fourteen he began learning the printer's trade in the office of which he has control, and in 1885 assisted in establishing a paper at Kimball, then known as Antelopeville, but remained there only a few months. On his return to Fairmont, the same year, he and his father purchased the present Fillmore Chronicle, with the publication of which he has since been prominently identified. Since 1889, he has had entire control of the paper, and prior to that time had charge of the mechanical department. It is published in the interest of the Republican party and now has a circulation of seven hundred and fifty. Mr. Frazer is assisted by his sister in reporting for the paper. He was married, April 7, 1892, to Miss Anna Shoff, a native of Iowa, and a daughter of John Shoff, one of the pioneers of Fillmore county, and they now have one son, Donald W. Socially Mr. Frazier is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Modern Wookmen (sic) of America, the Royal Highlanders, the Sons of Veterans, and the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben. As a Republican, he takes quite an influential part in local politics, and has served as a delegate to a number of state and county conventions. He is a member of the State Press Association and also the Nebraska Federation of Republican Newspapers. 

Letter/label or barENRY C. LANPHERE, whose home is on section 14, Stewart township, is a prominent representative of the agricultural interests of York county, and since coming to the county, in 1872, he has borne an important part in its development and prosperity. He was born in Booneville, Oneida county, New York, June 30, 1842, and is a son of Caleb P. and Lucinda (Martin) Lanphere, also natives of the Empire state. His grandfathers were George Lanphere and James M. Martin, the latter a captain in the war of 1812. The Lanphere family is of French and Welsh origin, and was founded in the United States at an early day by three brothers, who all settled in New England.

      Dr. Caleb P. Lanphere, our subject's father, was born May 11, 1799, and though still in his teens he took up arms against England in the war of 1812. In 1842 he removed, with his family, to Whiteside



county, Illinois, where he made his permanent home, and successfully engaged in the practice of medicine. He died there in May, 1875, and his wife, who was born April 19, 1803, passed to her reward December 9, 1864. Both were consistent members of the Methodist church, and most estimable people. In their family were nine children, namely: Almira, still a resident of Whiteside county, Illinois; James M., deceased; Clark C., deceased, who was a soldier of the Mexican war; George J., also a soldier of the Mexican war,. and now a resident of Utica, Nebraska; Albert P., a soldier of the Civil war, and a resident of Chicago, Illinois; Mary, deceased; Harriet, a resident of Sioux City, Iowa; Henry C., of this sketch; and J. C., a soldier of the Civil war, and a resident of Whiteside county, Illinois.

      Henry C. Lanphere was six years old when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Whiteside county, Illinois, where he was educated in the district schools. Coming of a patriotic family, he could not remain quietly at home when he believed that his services was needed by his country, and on August 6, 1862, he enlisted in Company I, One, Hundred and Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as a member of the regimental band. From Illinois they proceeded to Covington, Kentucky, and went into winter quarters at Lexington, that state. They were then mounted and did guard duty in Kentucky and Tennessee until the campaign through Georgia, when they formed a part of Sherman's army, going with him to Atlanta. They were under General Thomas in engagements against Hood, and after the battle of Nashville were transferred to Major General Schofield's army in North Carolina, remaining there until the arrival of General Sherman, which was followed by the battle of Goldsboro. Mr. Lanphere was taken ill with typhoid fever, January 5, 1865, and sent to the hospital at. Alexandria, Virginia, and later to Philadelphia, where he was finally discharged on the 3rd of July, following.

      Returning to Whiteside county, Illinois, he engaged in farming there until 1872. In the meantime he was married, March 26, 1866, to Miss Elvira Marvel, a native of that county, of which her father, Rev. John Marvel, a United Brethren minister, was an early settler. In 1872 they came to York county, Nebraska, and Mr. Lanphere secured his present homestead, which, at that time, was all wild and unimproved, and not a single house could be seen from his little dugout. The following year a sod-house was erected and it remained the home of the family until 1880, when the present comfortable residence was erected. Our subject raised nothing the first year, but raised a fair crop in 1873, and in 1874 the grasshoppers destroyed his corn. Prosperity at length crowned his efforts, however, and he now has a fine farm of three hundred and twenty acres under a high state of cultivation and improved with good buildings. During the winter he feeds cattle quite extensively.

      Mr. Lanphere's first wife died in 1878, leaving six children, namely: Lulu, now the wife of Dr. Hylton, of Gresharn, Nebraska; Newton A., Dora, wife of Lot Richards, of Lincoln, Illinois; George, Dollie and Ralph. In 1882, Mr. Lanphere married Amanda Hoddinott, a native of Illinois, by whom he has six children: Alice, Thomas, Grant, Alpha, Hattie and Sherman. The wife and mother holds membership in the Presbyterian church. Mr. Lanphere is a charter member of Gresham post, No. 132, G. A. R., of which he has been commander for two terms, and has also held office in the blue lodge of the Masonic order at Gresham, to which he belongs. He is prominently identified with the Republican party in his locality, and has been called upon to serve as supervisor



of Stewart township two terms, township clerk, and a member of the school board. In all the relations of life he has been found true and faithful to every trust reposed in him, and has the confidence and esteem of the entire community. 

Letter/label or barUGUST STOLLDORF.--Among the most energetic and thrifty farmers of Momence precinct, Fillmore county, are those who have come from beyond the sea and have brought into this fertile and productive country the industrious and economical habits of the old world. An able representative of this class is Mr. Stolldorf, whose home is on section 8, and the success that he has achieved in life is due entirely to his own perseverance, industry and good management. He was born in Germany, September 23, 1856, and in the spring of 1865, was brought to America by his parents, Louis and Mary (Weisenbauch) Stolldorf, also natives of the Fatherland, who first located in Toledo, Ohio, and later removed to Illinois, where they made their home upon a farm. The father died a quarter of a century ago, at the age of forty-three years, the mother twenty years ago, at the age of forty-one, and both were laid to rest in Red Oak Grove cemetery, Bureau county, Illinois. Our subject is the second in order of birth in their family of eight children, seven sons and one daughter, all of whom are still living.

      August Stolldorf is a self-educated as well as a self-made man, for he had no school privileges during his boyhood and youth. He adopted the occupation of farming, to which he had been reared, and continued to engage in that pursuit in Illinois for some years. There he was married on the 18th of December, 1879, to Miss Minnie Goesch, also a native of Germany, born May 28, 1859, and a daughter of Charles and Sophia (Klafersa) Goesch, who on their emigration to the United States located in Illinois, but are now leading and prominent citizens of Bennett precinct, Fillmore county, Nebraska. In their family were seven children. Mrs. Stolldorf was reared and educated in her native land, and was there confirmed in the Lutheran church at the age of fourteen years. Our subject was confirmed in the same church, in this country, and in it he and his family now hold membership. They have six children, namely: Annie, Will, Emma, Lena, Louis and Mary, all at home.

      In 1884 Mr. Stolldorf, with his family, came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and after renting land for some time in Bennett precinct, he purchased eighty acres, in 1886, for one thousand six hundred and fifty dollars. He and his wife started out in life empty-handed, but being industrious, economical and enterprising, they have succeeded in accumulating a comfortable competence, and now have a well improved and highly productive farm in Momence precinct as the result of their combined efforts and good management. In political sentiment, Mr. Stolldorf is. a Populist, but always votes for the man whom he believes best qualified to fill the office, regardless of party affiliations, and cast his first presidential ballot for Grover Cleveland. Upright and honorable in all things, he commands the respect and confidence of all who know him, and has been called upon to serve in several school offices and also as trustee of, his church. 

Letter/label or bar. MILLER, whose home is on section 8, of Beaver township, York county, Nebraska, is a worthy representative of that great host of straightforward and upright men and women that Germany has contributed to the making of this country. They have taken away brawn and muscle,. and have identified themselves with the



free institutions in the new world, and absolutists like Count Bismarck bewail the loss to Germany. But we, who are close at hand and see how much they have gained for the little they have left behind, congratulate them on the choice they have made. They are free and independent citizens of a modern republic, the peer of any, and protected in the least of their rights, and not condemned to trail along in the procession of mediaeval imperialism. Their lot is a happier one by far than it could possibly be, had there been no way of escape from old-world tyrannies and oppressions.

      Mr. Miller was born in Hesse Cassel, Germany, December 11, 1847, and was a son of John and Annie Miller, both of whom died in their Hessian home. Four of their children came to America, and are still living. They were the subject of this sketch and his three sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Hernmiller, who lives in Chicago, Mrs. Martha Appel, whose home is in Jo Daviss county, Illinois, and Mrs. Anna Thomas, who lives in this same township with her brother. Mr. Miller remained in Germany until he had attained his majority. He was a waiter for several years in a hotel in a native town, but when he reached this country he engaged in farming in Jo Daviess county. This was in the spring of 1870, and he continued in that region for the next six years or more. In 1876 he wedded Dora A. Moore, who was a Hessian compatriot, and had emigrated to this country in 1872. The young couple came into this county the next year, and located where they are now living. On the place which they secured twenty-three acres had gone under the plough, and he immediately put half of this into corn. He had a team, and worked in harvesting and threshing for his neighbors. He rented a house for a year, and the next moved in a sod house on his own place. This was their home for seven years. In 1878 he had wheat to sell, and entered upon a career of prosperity that warranted the erection of a twelve hundred dollar family residence in 1885. In these years he has improved and increased his original plantation. He has to-day a handsome and well equipped farm of two hundred and forty acres, of which one hundred and eighty acres are under thorough cultivation. Part of the untilled sixty is used as pasture, and part is meadow land. He carries on a mixed farming, and has some very presentable stock on his place.

      Mr. and Mrs. Miller are the parents of six children, Mary, Lizzie, Matilda Augusta, Minnie Christiana, Oswald Louis, and Albert Edwin. He is a member of the German Methodist church, in which he is an important and active worker. He is trustee, steward and class leader, and has acted as superintendent of the Sunday school. He is a Republican, but has never been a candidate for any office. 

Letter/label or bar. H. MITCHELL, one of the representative citizens and honored pioneers of precinct C, Seward county, is a native of Pike county, Ohio, born December 20, 1834, and is a son of Henry and Sarah (Vince) Mitchell, natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively. The father, who was a farmer by occupation, became a resident of Pike county, Ohio, during childhood, and there spent the remainder of his life, dying in 1837. Five children constituted his family, two sons and three daughters.

      Left fatherless at the early age of three years, M. H. Mitchell was denied the privilege of attending school, and when a mere child began working for other people, spending his boyhood and youth in his native county. In 1858 he went to Delaware county, Indiana, but after living there six years removed to Winneshiek county, Iowa, and later to Mills county, that state. Deciding to try his fortune still farther west,



he came to Seward county, Nebraska, in 1866, settling on the farm where he now lives, April 30 of that year, and securing his homestead the same month. At that time there were only two other settlers in precinct C, the country for miles around was all wild and unimproved, and the few inhabitants were troubled by the Indians stealing their corn and other things. The nearest post-office was then at Lincoln, and, in common with the other early settlers, Mr. Mitchell endured all the hardships and privations incident to life on the frontier. After erecting a small log cabin upon his place, he commenced to break the prairie with two yoke of cattle, and soon acre after acre was placed under the plow until to-day he has a fine farm of one hundred acres under a high state of cultivation and well improved.

      In April, 1860, Mr. Mitchell wedded Miss Mary Shidler, also a native of the Buckeye state, and a daughter of Peter and Julia A. (Blake) Shidler, who removed to Indiana when she was only three years old. There the mother died, but the father's death occurred in Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell have three children: Thomas C., James H., and Sarah E., now Mrs. John Hatra. Socially Mr. Mitchell belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and politically he is identified with the Populists. 

Letter/label or barAMES H. SISTY, whose home is on section 24, Read township, Butler county, has resided here since April 1868. He came to Nebraska, however, in the fall of 1867, before the county was organized. The difference between the past and the present can scarcely be realized, even by those who have been active participants in the development of the county. Those arriving in later years can have no conception of what was required by the early settlers in transforming the wild land into productive farms and thriving cities and villages. In this work of transformation our subject has borne an important part, and has secured for himself a comfortable home and competence.

      Mr. Sisty was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, November 16, 1820. His grandfather, John Sisty, who was of French descent, was born in 1760, and died in 1801, being laid to rest in the First Baptist cemetery, on Second street, between Market and Arch streets, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was a Revolutionary hero, having aided the colonies in their struggle for independence. He married a lady of German extraction, and the third son born to them was Curtis Sisty, our subject's father, whose birth occurred in Delaware. On reaching manhood he was married in Pennsylvania to Miss Jane McEwen, by whom he had the following children: James H., John, William, Milton, Margaret and Susan.

      In 1831, when James H. Sisty was eleven years old, the family emigrated to Seneca county, Ohio, where he was reared. In 1848, in Henry county, that state, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Crockett, and in Ohio were born to them the following children: Hannah J., Arthur C., John, Ezra B., Warren, Ellen, Mabel, Curtis and Erwin G. The mother died after the removal of the family to Nebraska, and Mr. Sisty was again married in September, 1883, his second union being with Mary Thomas, who was born in Pennsylvania, in 1845, a daughter of Thomas Thomas, a native of Wales. She came to Nebraska from Wisconsin in 1882, and by her marriage to our subject she became the mother of one son, Nelson J. By a former marriage she has a daughter, who is now the wife of Arthur C. Sisty, a son of our subject by his first wife.

     Mr. Sisty manifested his loyalty and pariotism (sic) during the war of the Rebellion, by

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller