NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Although not a member of any religious denomination, he and his wife frequently attend services at the Methodist Episcopal church, and their children regularly attend Sunday-school. In politics he has always been a stanch Democrat, and in his social connections is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and Prudence Lodge, No. 179, F. and A. M., of Beaver Crossing, Seward county, with which he is officially connected, while both he and his wife hold membership in the Degree of Honor. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM EDWARD LEMMON, an honored and worthy citizen of precinct N, Seward county, was born November 17, 1828, in Sangamon county, Illinois, a son of Ulick and Susan (Pierce Backus) Lemmon. His paternal grandfather was Lemuel Lemmon and his maternal grandfather was George Pierce. He obtained a limited education in the old subscription schools of Sangamon county, but his training at farm work was not so meagre, and he continued to assist his father in the labors of the home farm until he attained his majority. He had a severe attack of the gold fever in the early part of November, 1851, and one fine day started for California by way of New Orleans and the Isthmus of Panama, but at the latter place he was taken ill with Panama fever and was forced to return to New Orleans. When he arrived home, March 27, 1852, he found his father very low with consumption, and on the 6th of January, 1853, he died. Our subject then remained with his mother until his marriage, which was celebrated February 28, 1856, Miss Elizabeth Martin becoming his wife. Her parents, Jonathan and Annie (Cook) Martin, lived in the little village of Salisbury, Sangamon county, Illinois.

      For eight years after his marriage, Mr. Lemmon remained on the old homestead in his native county and then removed to Athens, Menard county, Illinois, where he operated a steam sawmill for two years and for the same length of time engaged in farming on rented land. The following three years were spent in Logan county, Illinois, and in 1874 he moved by railway to Nebraska, landing in the town of Seward in March of that year. He selected a quarter section of land in precinct N, and took up his residence in a sod house already erected thereon, but which he enlarged, making it his home for eight years. To the joy of his wife it was then replaced by a frame dwelling, to which additions have been made, so that it is now a commodious and comfortable country home.

     To Mr. and Mrs. Lemmon were born nine children, eight of whom are still living. (1) Oran A. married Lucretia, daughter of James W. and Frank (Summers) Houser, and they have five children: Clarence, Neva, Frankie, Byron and Gay. They have recently sold their farm in Seward county with the intention of moving to Saline county, Nebraska. (2) Opha A. is now the wife of George Walker, a son of Benjamin and Mary Walker, and they have two children: Earl and Zeva. They live in York county, west of Gresham. (3) John L., a resident of Indiana, married Anna Watts and has one child, Florence. (4) Ernest O., who is engaged in the commercial business at St. Joseph, Missouri, married Jessie Clayton and they have one child. (5) Ida B. is the wife of George Crofton, of Omaha, and they have three children, Luma, Beulah and Merrill. (6) Orville, (7) Maggie J. and (8) Arthur are still with their father, and since the mothers death, which occurred March 29, 1876, the daughters have filled her place as best they could, and Miss Maggie is now her father's housekeeper. Mr. Lemmon understands the advantages of a good education and has provided his children with good school privileges. He is now practically



living retired, leaving the active management and arduous labors of the farm to his two sons. He cast his first presidential vote for General Scott, and since the formation of the party has been an ardent Republican, casting his last vote for William McKinley. He is a sincere and faithful member of the Christian church, and does all in his power to advance Christ's kingdom on earth. 

Letter/label or barHARLES S. MILLER is the well-known and popular cashier of the Farmers State Bank of Fairmont, Nebraska, one of the most solid and reliable financial institutions in Fillmonre (sic) county. The bank was first organized in 1882, with Charles S. Miller as president and general manager, and associated with him was Henry Musselman. It was then a private bank and did business as such until 1886, when it was reorganized as a state bank with Charles Aldrich as its first president, George E. Aldrich vice-president; and Charles S. Miller, cashier. The capital stock at that time was $40,700, but as that large amount was not needed it was reduced to $25,000 in 1898. They do a large banking business, having from $100,000 to $150,000 in deposits and handle domestic and foreign exchange. The present board of directors consits (sic) of George C. Aldrich, Charles S. Miller, B. E. Aldrich, O. E. Miller and George W. Jackson.

      Charles S. Miller was born in Lowell, Wisconsin, in 1856, a son of Henry and Delia (Weed) Miller, natives of New York state, who in 1840 removed to Wisconsin, where the father engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery, being a graduate of the Berkshire Medical College of Pittsfield, Massachusetts. He had practiced some in the east and continued to follow the profession throughout the remainder of his life, dying in 1887. He was an active supporter of the Republican party, was an honored member of the state and county medical associations, and was highly respected by all who knew him. The mother died when our subject was about sixteen years of age, leaving two sons, both now living in Fairmont, Nebraska. Our subject's paternal grandfather was Elias Miller, a native of New Jersey and a contractor and builder by occupation. He died in New York state. He married Miss Hannah Southard, also a native of New Jersey, and a representative of one of the old and honored families of that state.

      In his native state, Charles S. Miller was reared and educated, attending the Wayland Academy at Beaver Dam and the Albion College, in Michigan, from which he was graduated in 1879. Later he entered the law department of the University of Wisconsin and was graduated from that institution in 1881, being admitted to practice the same year in both the federal and state courts. Coming to Fairmont the same year, he opened an office and continued to engage in the practice of his chosen profession for some time, after becoming interested in the banking business. He assisted in organizing the state bank at Lebanon, Nebraska, of which he is president, and besides his banking interests there and in Fairmont, he owns real estate in Fillmore county and elsewhere in the state. In his business undertakings, he has been remarkably successful and is now one of the most prosperous and substantial citizens of Fairmont.

      In 1883, Mr. Miller was united in marriage with Miss Minnie F. Divine, a native of Lexington, Michigan, and also a graduate of Albion college, in the class of 1881. They now have two children: John D. and Mildred A. Politically Mr. Miller is an ardent Republican and has been a most active and influential worker for the interests of the party, but has never sought public office.



He has served as a member of the state central committee, and held the same position on the congressional committee. Fraternally he is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and is now serving as vice-president of the American Bankers Association, a national organization, in which he now represents Nebraska. He enjoys a wide acquaintance throughout the state, and in business, political and social circles stands deservedly high. 

Letter/label or barHARLES M. SHELDON, proprietor of one of the fine farms of Savannah township, Butler county, is one of the men in whose coming to this county all who honor honest industry and good citizenship can rejoice. His career has been marked throughout with persistent and faithful efforts to advance his own interests, and he has been rewarded by the acquisition of a good property and a high reputation. He settled on section 29, Savannah township, in the fall of 1877.

      Mr. Sheldon was born in Sullivan county, New York, in 1830, the oldest son of Ira and Abigail Sheldon. Ira Sheldon was born in Massachusetts. was a descendant of one of two brothers who came from England and settled in Massachusetts. He afterward moved to New York with his parents and was there married. About the year 1836, he moved with his, family from New York to Michigan and became one of the earliest settlers of Branch county, of that state.

      Our subject grew to manhood in Branch county, Michigan, and was there married, in 1852, to Miss Sarah Jane Parsons, daughter of Barney Parsons, and their wedded life has been blessed by the presence of a family of four children, whose names are as follows: Cora Lindsley, Barney Sheldon, Eva McCauley and Bert Sheldon. In politics our subject is a free-silver Republican. He was one of the founders of the Republican party in Michigan, and was also a delegate to the first Free Silver convention in Butler county, Nebraska. He is public-spirited and progressive and stanchly (sic) supports any feasible plan that will tend to advance the public welfare. He is a valued and respected citizen and a representative man in the community in which he makes his home. 

Letter/label or barOHN HAGER, an honored veteran of the Civil war, and a representative farmer of York county, owns and successfully operates a fine farm on section 12, Henderson township. He was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, November 28, 1840, and is a son of Peter H. and Catherine (Romesburgh) Hager, also natives of the Keystone state. His maternal grandfather was George Romesburgh, and on both sides of the family his ancestors were of German origin and farmers by occupation.

      Reared upon the home farm in Pennsylvania, John Hager obtained his education in the public schools of the neighborhood, and also fitted himself to enter higher institutions of learning, but as the Civil war broke out at that time he laid aside all personal interests to aid in the defense of the Union. In July, 1863, at the age of twenty-two, he enlisted for three years in Company C, Sixty-third Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and first went into camp at White Sulphur Springs, Virginia. Later he participated in the following engagements in that state: Auburn, October 13, 1863; Kelly's Ford, November 7; Brandy Station, November 8; Locust Grove, November 27; Mine Run, November 29 and 30; Wilderness, May 5, 6 and 7, 1864; Todd's Tavern, May 9, Po River, May 10 and 11, and Spottsylvania, May 12. At the last-named battle General Hancock made his famous charge at the break of day,



breaking into the lines of the enemy. For the privilege of taking part in this charge Mr. Hager had to sleep with his gun beside him all night, and from the 13th to the 15th of the same month was engaged in skirmishing at the same place. He took part in the battle of North Anna River on May 23, and in skirmishing at that place from the 24th to the 26th of May; at Tolopotomy creek, on May 30 and 31; at Cold Harbor, June 4 and 5, followed by the battle of Cold Harbor, June 6, and skirmishing from the 7th to the 12th of the same month. His next engagement was the battle of Petersburg, June 16, and skirmishing there from the 17th to 20th, Weldon Railroad, June 21 and 22; skirmishing at Petersburg, June 23; at Deep Bottom, July 22 and August I; the capture of the rebel picket line September 9; the skirmish at Poplar Grove church, October 7; Boydton plank road, October 27; raid on the Weldon Railroad, December 7. During the campaign of 1865 Mr. Hager was in the skirmish at Hatchie's Run, February 5, March 25 and 29, making two charges on the enemy's line and capturing the whole train April 6, 1865. He was in the skirmish near Farmville, Virginia, April 7, and was present at the surrender of Lee's army at Clover Hill, or Appomattox, April 9. He was several times struck by spent balls, which drew no blood, and was never confined in the hospital. When the war was over he returned to his father's home, July 17, 1865, having been honorably discharged on the 11th of that month.

      For some time Mr. Hager remained on the home farm, and in Pennsylvania was married, September 6, 1866, to Miss Mary E. Crutchman, a daughter of Timothy and Maria (Leighty) Crutchman, who were natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. In May, 1867, our subject's father died in his eighty-first year, and he and his brother Samuel purchased the old homestead, where he remained for sixteen years. Loading his possessions on a railroad train, he then started for Nebraska, landing in York, December 1, 1882, and after looking about for a suitable location for a new home, in February he purchased the northeast quarter of section 12, Henderson township, York county. He was joined by his family, March 1, 1883, and has since made his home upon that place, devoting his entire time and attention to its improvement and cultivation with most gratifying success.

      To Mr. and Mrs. Hager were born four children, two of whom are still living: Henry N.; and Homer M., who married Miss Pearl E. Warren. Formerly the parents held membership in the Methodist Episcopal church at Charleston, but are unable to attend services often, owing to the distance and ill health. Politically Mr. Hager is a pronounced Republican, and socially is an honored member of the Grand Army of the Republic. 

Letter/label or barNDREW O. SHOSTROM is the proprietor of one of the most attractive homesteads in Polk county, it being pleasantly located on section , township 13, range 3. His comfortable residence is flanked by a good barn and the various other out-buildings required by the progressive agriculturist. As a tiller of the soil he is thorough and skillful, and has been uniformly fortunate in his investments.

      Like many of the best citizens of this section of the state, Mr. Shostrom is a native of Sweden, born at Hogobruk, June 6, 1846, and is a son of Olof and Anna Shostrom, both natives of Gestleborgslan, Sweden. The mother died in that country when our subject was only four years old, and a sister also departed this life there. There were only three children in the family, and the other son died in Illinois.

      Olof Shostrom was born January 11,



1819, and in 1857 emigrated to America, settling at Oneida, Knox county, Illinois, on the 20th of October, that year. He was an ironworker in his native land, and that occupation he continued to follow for twenty-one years, working at the same in both Wataga and Altona, Illinois. Later he engaged in the manufacture of wagons at Kewanee, that state, and after coming to Nebraska, in 1872, gave his attention to farming and blacksmithing. His homestead was the east half of the southwest quarter of section 32, township 14, range 3, Polk county, which he secured on first coming to the county, but in the fall of 1872 he returned to Illinois, and did not locate permanently here until the following spring. He was a member of the Lutheran church in that state, and wherever known was held in high regard. He died August 11, 1887, while on a visit to Burlington, Iowa, but his remains were brought back and interred in the Swede Home cemetery. Prior to leaving Sweden, he was a second time married, and this wife died in 1865. The two children born of this union are also deceased.

      Andrew O. Shostrom was eleven years old when he came with the family to the new world. His education, which was begun in Sweden, was completed in the schools of Knox county, Illinois, and he grew to manhood in that state, devoting his time while not in school to assisting his father in the shop. Together they worked until the latter's death. When they came to Polk county, Nebraska, in 1872, our subject secured the west half of the southwest quarter of the same section on which his father located, and to his homestead he brought his family in the spring of 1873. They were living in their little sod shanty during the frightful snow storm of April, that year, and the first season raised only a little sod corn. In 1874 they raised some wheat, but the grasshoppers destroyed the corn. Prosperity at length crowned their efforts, and Mr. Shostrom is now the owner of four hundred acres of valuable land, all under excellent cultivation with the exception of one hundred and forty acres, it being the work of his own hands. He raises a good grade of stock, and all the cereals adapted to this climate.

      In 1867 Mr. Shostrom married Miss Christina Ericson, also a native of Sweden, who came to America in 1854. Her father, Eric Ericson, also came to this country and lived for a time in Henry county, Illinois, but finally returned to Sweden, where his death occurred. Mr. and Mrs. Shostrom have a family of eight children: Eleanora C., Louisa D., Estella C., Minnie J., Lillie A., Helen R., Aibin L. and Edwin A., all of whom have been educated in English schools, and Mr. Shostrom is now efficiently serving as treasurer of school district No. 51. He is identified with the Republican party. To the enterprises calculated for the general welfare of the people around him, he has ever been a cheerful and liberal contributor, and the community has no more public-spirited or enterprising citizen than he. 

Letter/label or barALPH W. STOWELL is a well-to-do and prominent agriculturist residing on section 26, Belle Prairie precinct, Fillmore county, Nebraska, one whose success has been by no means the result of fortunate circumstances. It has come through energy, labor and perseverance, directed by an evenly balanced mind and by honorable business principles. From early life he has made his own way in the world unaided.

      Mr. Stowell was born in New York, September 3, 1846, a son of Oliver and Mary (Sipes) Stowell. His father died in that state at the age of thirty-two, when our subject was but two years old, and later his mother married again. When seven



years old he removed with the family to Illinois, and in that state he was reared and educated. In 1862, although only sixteen years, of age, he enlisted in Company K, One Hundred Thirteenth Illinois Infantry, and was in the service for almost three years, or until the close of the war, being mustered out at Memphis. Tennessee, in June, 1865. He served in the western division and participated in the siege of Vicksburg and in many hotly contested engagements besides numerous skirmishes. Returning to his home in Illinois, he worked as a farm hand by the month for about three years, and then rented land, which he successfully operated for the same length of time.

      In February, 1872, Mr. Stowell was united in marriage with Miss Frances Wagner, a native of Illinois, and a daughter of Daniel and Lydia (Parmely) Wagner, who were both born in New York and at an early day migrated to Illinois, where they died, the former at the age of fifty-one the later at the age of seventy-six years, their remains being interred in the cemetery at Union Corners, near Momence, Illinois. Mrs. Stowell has one brother and two sisters still living, namely: Mary, Celestia and Albert. The children born to our subject and his wile are Mary L., Albert C. and Clyde O. This is a happy family and a model home.

      After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Stowell came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and settled upon their present homestead, being among the pioneers of this region. At first their nearest trading place was at Crete, about forty miles northeast of their farm, and they have watched with interest the changes that have taken place here and have been important factors in the development and progress. For some time they lived in a little frame house and their stock was sheltered in straw sheds, but as the years have passed they have continually prospered in their adopted state and are now the owners of a fine farm of three hundred and twenty acres of the best land to be found in the county. Mr. Stowell has made a specialty of stock raising, though he began on a very limited scale, and is now extensively interested in the business.

      Mr. Stowell cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864. He was not of legal age for voting, but on account of being in the United States service and carrying a musket in the defense of his country, he was allowed to cast his ballot for "Honest Old Abe." He has since been true to the Republican party, and has most efficiently and satisfactorily filled a number of minor offices. He is a public-spirited, enterprising citizen, who commands the confidence and respect of all with whom he comes in contact either in business or social life, and he and his wife are held in high regard by their neighbors and many friends. 

Letter/label or barENNIS McCARTHY is one of the worthy citizens that the Emerald Isle has furnished to York county. He is truly a self-made man and his career has been one of earnest, indefatigable labor, but his efforts have not been without their reward, which is seen in his fine farm of four hundred acres of the rich land of York county. He was born in Bantry, county Cork, Ireland, February 1, 1844, his parents being Dennis and Catharine (Collins) McCarthy. His father and mother could neither read nor write and spoke the old Irish tongue. Their son Dennis was four years old when the awful famine occurred in that land, and he remembers seeing a relative of his mother's come to their home. While crossing the yard he fell every few steps. The mother gave him a slice of oatmeal cake and he went away eating this, but was found a few days later in an old building



with a number of other dead bodies. Deaths were so frequent that coffins could not be procured and the poor were buried in sacks.

      After he had reached the age of ten years our subject attended school for two or three years during the summer months, but could not go in the winter on account of having insufficient clothing. He worked on their rented farm until after his father's death, when one morning the police and the landlord came and turned the mother, with her seven children, out of doors because she could not pay the rent. A friend however, gave her shelter in a poor little shanty, where she lived, supported by Dennis, who worked for the man who had befriended them. In the meantime two of his sisters had gone to America, and believing that there was no chance for him in Ireland, one foggy night Dennis left his home quietly, for he could not bear to say goodbye. He walked forty miles the first day to Cork, where he worked for nearly a month and then with his wages which had just been given him secured passage to Cardiff, Wales. He immediately went to Mertha Twidwell, where he was employed by a coal company for about six weeks; he then secured employment in a blast furnace and received better pay. After having worked two weeks he sent all the money he could spare to his mother, who was thus relieved of her anxiety as to his whereabouts, and of some of her financial troubles. An odd circumstance occurred in Cardiff. McCarthy had secured board there with a man who years before had borrowed money from his mother and never repaid it. This debt he was able to collect, and it proved of great assistance to his mother, who was very needy.

      On leaving Mertha Twidwell, Mr. McCarthy went to Aberdare, where he worked in a stone quarry for six weeks, and then secured employment as a laborer in the coal mines, being thus engaged for fifteen months. During that time he boarded with Mrs. Donovan and formed the acquaintance of her daughter,--by her first marriage,--Miss Phillis Gibbs. Six months later they were married by Rev. Father Marshall, on the 21st of November, 1865, after which the young husband returned to visit his mother, and then accompanied by his brother and sister sailed from Queenstown for America, February 1, 1866. They landed in New York after a voyage of seventeen days, and in January following Mr. McCarthy sent for and was joined by his bride. His brother, sister and himself worked for farmers near New York for eight months, and then the brothers secured work on the railroad, working for twenty-two years, in which time our subject only lost twenty days. After he had been in this country thirteen months, the children sent for their mother and the two sisters who had been left behind, and who arrived in this country in March, 1867.

      In May, 1878, Mr. McCarthy, of this review, gave his money to a friend to invest for him in Nebraska land, and the northeast quarter of section 23, Brown township, was purchased, but he continued to work on the railroad for three years longer. He then received a telegram from an old friend in Lincoln, Nebraska, to come west at once, as there was work awaiting him. This he did and on viewing his farm for the first time was so pleased with it that he sent word to his wife to sell their property in the east and come to York county. He built a house and other buildings with the money he had saved, and soon his family was established in their new home. He, however, continued his labors on the railroad, and as he was enabled to save part of his earnings he invested the money in improvements on the farm, but it was not until 1890 that he put aside other cares in order to give his entire attention to the development and cultivation of his, land. The same industry



which had marked his previous career characterized his agricultural pursuits. He now owns four hundred acres of land, much of which is under a high state of cultivation and the growing crops indicate his thrift and enterprise. This is now a valuable and desirable property and is the merited reward of his labors.

      To Mr. and Mrs. McCarthy were born ten children, all yet living, as follows: Dennis J., Catharine A., Daniel D., Cornelius, Mary, John, Joseph, Michael T., George E., Leo J. and Nora E. The eldest son was married April 28, 1897, to Iola Taylor, daughter of Jesse P. Stevens, of Aspen, Colorado. Cornelius is now a member of Company I, First Regiment of Nebraska Volunteers in the war with Spain, and is loyally serving his country in the Phillipines (sic). The parents and all their children are members of the Catholic church and Mr. Mccarthy belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is well content with his western home, and in his hope of bettering his financial condition in America he has not been disappointed. 

Letter/label or barEFFERSON COX, a prominent farmer of Seward county, Nebraska, living near Ruby, was born June 6, 1849, in the state of Ohio.

      Our subject was the seventh in a family of ten children born to David and Rachel (Brown) Cox. Of these our subject and three brothers are living. David Cox was born in New Jersey and removed to Ohio at the age of eighteen years, and in the latter state his marriage occurred. Both parents died in Illinois about twenty-four years ago, the father at the age of seventy-four and the mother at the age of sixty years. They spent their lives on the farm.

      Jefferson was educated in Illinois, where his parents had removed when he was but one year old. He followed farming for several years in Illinois and in 1878 removed to Nebraska, arriving there October 8. He purchased a homestead in Seward county comprising eighty acres, for which he paid fifteen dollars per acre. He has since added one hundred and twenty acres, paying thirty dollars per acre. The first tract was entirely uncultivated when he purchased it.

      At the age of twenty-three Jefferson Cox married Miss Eliza B. Reeves in Illinois. To them were born two children, Mary Albina and Lydia E. Mrs. Cox lived but a few years. After her death he was subsequently married to Miss M. E. Reeves. The children of this marriage were Charles W. and Lily May, both deceased. The family was again called to mourn a mother's death and her remains rest in Mount Pleasant cemetery, Seward county, Nebraska.

      Mr. Cox has since married a most estimable lady, whose maiden name was Emma E. Hill. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Hill. Her father died in Pittsfield, Illinois, January 25, 1896, at the age of sixty-three years, leaving a widow and six children. Mrs. C. H. Hill, who was born in North Carolina, June 20, 1842, and was married at the age of eighteen, is now a resident of Seward county, having located there about one year ago, and purchased property in the city of Seward, where she makes her home. She is the mother of six children, of whom five are living.

      Mr. and Mrs. Cox are members of the United Brethren church. In political views he is a Republican, having cast his first vote for President Grant.

      On his arrival in Nebraska his worldly goods consisted of three horses and thirty dollars in money. He is now the owner of two hundred acres of fine land with substantial improvements, besides a large amount of personal property. He is one of the substantial farmers of Seward coun-



ty, and his accumulations have been made by honest toil.

      They have four children by his last marriage, Pearl E., Doras D., Earl C. and Altha J., all living. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM A. BIVENS.--Among the sturdy, energetic and successful farmers of Fillmore county, who thoroughly understand the vocation which they follow, and consequenty are enabled to carry on that calling with profit to themselves, is the subject of this notice, who is actively engaged in agricultural pursuits on section 1, Fairmont township.

      Mr. Bivens was born on the 30th of October, 1836, near Mercersburg, in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Joseph. and Elizabeth (McKune) Bivens, also natives of that county, where the father after reaching man's estate engaged in business as a wagon maker until 1860, when he removed to Warren county, Illinois. There he turned his attention to farming and continued to make his home until called from this life, February 21, 1890, at the age of seventy-nine years. The mother died on the same farm October 23, 1895. Both were consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church and were held in high regard by all who had the pleasure of their acquaintance. In their family were nine children, three sons and six daughters, and of these two sons and one daughter are now residents of Fillmore county. Our subject's paternal grandfather, William Bivens, spent his entire life in Pennsylvania, as did also the maternal grandfather, Alexander McKune.

      During his early boyhood, William A. Bivens, of this review, pursued his studies in the public schools of his native state, and at the age of thirteen he learned the printer's trade, which he followed there for five years. In 1855 he went to Fulton county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming for five years, and then removed to Warren county, the same state, where he continued to make his home until coming to Nebraska, in May, 1870. In the. meantime, however, he served for nearly three years in the Union army during the Civil war, enlisting in August, 1862, in Company K, Seventh Illinois Cavalry, which was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland. He participated in the second battle at Corinth, Mississippi, in the fall of that year; was in the engagement at Hudson's Lane, in 1863; Coffeeville, Mississippi; Franklin and Nashville, Tennessee. The remainder of his service was devoted to skirmishing and hunting bushwhackers. Although he fortunately was never wounded, he once narrowly escaped death at Redland, Tennessee, as a ball clipped the hair from his head and he was unconscious for some time afterward. He was honorably discharged at Decatur, Alabama, in July, 1865, and after being mustered out returned to his home in Illinois.

      As previously stated, Mr. Bivens came to Nebraska in May, 1870, at which time he took up a homestead on section 2, K precinct, Seward county, which was all raw prairie, and after erecting a sod house, he commenced to break and improve his land. He continued to make his home in that county until the spring of 1883, when he sold his place and came to Fillmore county, and located in Fairmont township, which he has since successfully operated.

      In 1864, Mr. Bivens was united in marriage with Miss Mary Snyder, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Hiram and Catherine (Doty) Snyder, who both died in Brown county, that state. Ten children have been born of this union, all of whom are still living, namely: Rony I.; Charles A.; Frank; Lewis; Fannie, wife of William V. Frazier; Josephine, wife of M. Witter; Edward; Frederick; Harry and Chester. In his so-



cial relations, Mr. Bivens is a member of a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and in political sentiment is an ardent Republican. He is well-known and highly respected by his neighbors and friends, who appreciate his sterling worth and many excellencies of character. 

Letter/label or barLLEN VINCENT is classed among the most energetic and capable farmers of Savannah township, Butler county. His career has been marked throughout with persistent and faithful effort to advance his own interests and those for whom he worked, and he has been rewarded by the acquisition of a good property and a high reputation. His farm, on which he settled in 1872, is located on section 8, of the above named township.

      Mr. Vincent was born in Bedfordshire, England, March 18, 1834, the oldest son of James and Elizabeth Vincent, both of Bedfordshire. The mother is still living and is eighty-five years of age. Our subject migrated from his native country to Onondaga county, New York, in 1856. and worked there for ten years. He was married in Syracuse, New York, in 1860, to Miss Eliza Moore. She was born in county Cork, Ireland, in 1836, and her parents both were born and died in Ireland. Upon migrating to America, she first located in Canada and lived there three years, and then moved to New York state, where she met Mr. Vincent.

      In 1863 Mr. Vincent moved from New York to Michigan, and settled on a farm in Hillsdale county. In the spring of 1872, they disposed of their interests in Michigan, and, with their eleven year old daughter, Della, set out with a wagon and outfit for Nebraska, where they had heard of the advantages which this state offered to enterprising and thrifty agriculturists through friends who had returned to Michigan from that state and they decided to avail themselves of these advantages. They crossed the river at Omaha, and camped over night in the bed of the river. When they arrived in Butler county, they found it a vast stretch of raw, unsettled prairie, and his first home there was a sod house, which, although it had a broad roof, its walls were four feet in thickness and was plastered on the inside, and was quite comfortable. This structure, however, soon gave place to a much more cosy and attractive home, in fact, one of the most comfortable and modernly constructed in the neighborhood. The original homestead, which was a little less than eighty acres, has been increased to about two hunered (sic) acres.

     Mr. and Mrs. Vincent both came to America with no capital whatever, and having no one to lean upon, the success which has crowned their efforts has been brought about as the direct result of their own independent endeavor. Their lines have not always fallen in pleasant places and they have often met with discouragements sufficient to daunt the spirit of almost any young couple, but courage and fortitude were dominant traits in their characters and they always arose equal to every emergency.. Mr. and Mrs. Vincent are both members of the Episcopal church. Although taking no active part in political affairs, our subject is a stanch supporter of the free-silver doctrine. Mr. Vincent has one brother living in Colfax county, Nebraska. 

Letter/label or barOHN S. DILLENBECK, one of the most enterprising, progressive and reliable citizens of P precinct, Seward county, was born on the 19th of January, 1841, in Jefferson county, New York, and is a son of John and Maria (Lintner) Dillenbeck, also natives of the Empire state, where they spent their entire lives, the former dying at the age of eighty-four years, the latter at the age of forty-three. Our subject is the

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller