NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



trust reposed in him, and enjoys the regard of all.

      Mr. Towle was born in Leeds, England, April 7, 1838, and is a son of Andrew and Mary Ann (Chapman) Towle, the former a native of Dublin, Ireland, and the latter of Yorkshire, England. The father engaged in woolen manufacturing throughout his entire life and was thoroughly conversant with the business in its various departments. In England he was superintendent of a large woolen factory. About 1838 he came with his family to America, locating in Lowell, Massachusetts, where he worked at his trade for several years, after which he was similarly employed in Troy, New York, and Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Later he owned and operated a woolen mill in Menasha, Wisconsin, and in 1868 he removed to Cass county, Nebraska, where he made his home until his death, which, however, occurred August 16, 1894, while he was visiting his son in Cohoes, New York. His wife had previously passed away, on the farm in Cass county.

      During the days of his infancy our subject was brought by his parents to America, and when only seven years old he began work in the woolen mills. He was employed in all the various departments of such an establishment, in Massachusetts, New York and Wisconsin, and became an expert workman, receiving as high as five dollars per day for his services. When the war broke out he was among the first to respond to the country's call for aid, enlisting May 17, 1861, for three-months service as a member of Company D, Third Wisconsin Infantry. He was mustered in at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, on the 29th of June, for three-years service. The regiment went immediately to the south, arriving at Harper's Ferry, July 18, 1861, and Mr. Towle served in the campaigns in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania for two years, two months and sixteen days in the Army of the Shenandoah under General Banks, the Army of Virginia under General Pope, the Army of the Potomac under Generals McClellan, Burnsides, Hooker and Meade, and was in New York city on military duty during the draft riots of August, 1863, under General Colby. He left Bealton Station, Virginia, with his regiment October 3, 1863, to join the Army of the Cumberland, at Chattanooga, Tennessee, and was mustered out at the latter place, July 5, 1864, on account of disability. He participated in the following engagements: Bolivar Heights, Winchester, Cedar Mountain, Pope's campaign, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Beverly Ford, Gettysburg and the draft riots, and was mustered out with the rank of corporal. He was shot through the leg at Antietam and had both ear drums bursted, which has destroyed his hearing. He was also wounded at Beverly Ford, an exploded shell striking him in the leg. On account of his wounds and loss, of hearing, he has experienced ill health for years, and is one of the honorable pensioners of the government.

      Mr. Towle is numbered among the pioneers of York county, having taken up a soldier's homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres on section 30, township 10, range 3, in the fall of 1871. He afterward went to Cass county, Nebraska, spending the winter with his parents, who lived on a farm near Weeping Water, and in the early spring of 1872, he went to Plattsmouth, where he bought some lumber. At Weeping Water he constructed the frames for a house, and with the assistance of his neighbors, hauled them with ox teams to York county, where he erected a frame house 18x20 feet, with a fourteen foot ceiling. This was the first frame structure in all the country round about, the other settlers living in sod houses and dugouts. Mr. Towle at once began to break his land, and the first year planted twelve acres of sod corn,



raising a good crop. This was his first experience at farming. In 1873 he sowed five acres of wheat, and from it sold one hundred and five bushels, at ninety-three and a half cents per bushel. In the fall he also sold his yoke of cattle, with which he had cultivated the farm, for ninety-five dollars. Owing to ill health he then went to Wisconsin, where he was employed as boss spinner and carder in woolen mills for a number of years, and in July, 1884, he returned to his homestead, which he had rented in the interim. Previous to his departure he had sold his house and now builded a new one. He has today one of the best improved and most valuable farms in Baker township, which represents years of hard toil, and is a merited reward of his labor.

      Mr. Towle was married December 25, 1866, to Sarah Barlow, who was born in Staffordshire, England September 4, 1847, and is a daughter of John W. and Eliza (Downs) Barlow, also natives of the same country. They came to America during the infancy of Mrs. Towle, locating in Wisconsin, making the journey with a colony of one hundred English families. Mr. Barlow purchased a farm, upon which a portion of the city of Portage, Wisconsin, is now located, but after a short time sold out and went to Menasha, Wisconsin, where he now resides, at the age of eighty-two. His wife died December 2, 1883. To Mr. and Mrs. Towle have been born nine children: Arthur J., William C., Sadie E., Samuel D., Effie E., Howard G., Gordon P. B. and Ralph R., at home; and Gilbert G., now deceased. Mr. Towle is one of the honored citizens of York county, for his life has been a useful and upright one, in which loyalty to duty has ever been a marked characteristic. The same fidelity which he manifested when following the stars and stripes on southern battle fields, has been shown in business and social life, and his earnest effort, great energy and keen discrimination have brought deserved success.

      The following interesting story is told of Mr. Towle's childhood. When he was eight years of age he was living with his parents in Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, while that region was yet a territory, the country heavily timbered, and infested with wolves and other wild animals. One day our subject, accompanied by his baby sister, then but one year old, went out in search for wild plums. The boy lost his bearings, and they wandered farther and farther into the forest. The little girl, who was sickly and weak, became tired and hungry, and cried for her parents and home. The boy held out bravely and took the little one up and carried her, but he at last grew discouraged and weary and began to cry also. He found some wild blackberries and gave most of them to his sister to keep her from crying. It was early morning when they left home. Noon came, and the parents grew uneasy at their long absence. In the meantime our subject's grandparents and two uncles had come to visit the family. They became alarmed at the continued absence of the children, and all turned out to search for them. There were no roads, so that the task was a difficult one. After several hours of unsuccessful wanderings, as the shadows of evening began to deepen, knowing that the children would be devoured by wolves if not found before the morning, the neighbors were called out to join in the hunt. Each man carried a gun, and the understanding was that the one finding the children should fire a gun, and each one hearing the report should fire in turn, and this to be the signal for all to return home. No report came, and when the darkness had made travel in the forest impossible, they all returned to the house with discouragement and alarm for the fate of the helpless children. The father and two uncles



determined to return to the quest, while the others insisted that they should not risk their lives also in a vain endeavor to save the lives of the children, who were, they believed, already the victims of wild beasts. At that moment one of the searching party was returning home, and a few rods from the house encountered a party of five Indians, mounted on ponies, coming along an old trail, and he enquired of them if they had seen or heard of the "two white papooses." They said yes, and that it was a long (big, big) way back in the forest. He tried to persuade them to go back and get the children, but they refused, saying "Big dark, big dark." But the sight and clink of two silver dollars overcame their disinclination, and two of the Indians turned back into the depths of the forest, and after some time had elapsed, during which hope and fear struggled for mastery in the parents' hearts, brought the children safely to their home. Our subject remembers the details of that experience with great vividness, but did not realize as he does now the great danger he and his baby sister were in. 

Letter/label or barRED C. PATTERSON, who occupies an influential and prominent position among the agricultural population of Fairmont township, Fillmore county, Nebraska, has his homestead on section 17, where he owns one hundred and sixty acres of fine farming land. Upon this place he has made many excellent improvements which add greatly to its value and attractive appearance, and here he lives, surrounded by a fair share of the comforts of life.

      Mr. Patterson was born in Stark county, Illinois, February 15, 1860, a son of Robert and Mariah (Frazier) Patterson, natives of Pennsylvania, who removed to Illinois in 1855, and there the father engaged in farming, which he made his life work. In 1883 he came to Fillmore co nty (sic), Nebraska, where he died two years later. The mother had passed away in 1877. In their family were three children who reached years of maturity, one son and two daughters, but one daughter is now deceased. The other is still a resident of Illinois. The paternal grandparents of our subject were Charles and Hannah (Townsend) Patterson, also, natives of Pennsylvania, the latter's birthplace being near Pittsburg.

      In the county of his nativity, Fred C. Patterson was reared and educated in much the usual manner of farmer boys, and he engaged in agricultural pursuits there until he and his father came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, in 1883. Here he purchased eighty acres of unimproved land, to the development and cultivation of which he has since devoted his attention with marked success, and to the original purchase he has added another eighty-acre tract. In connection with general farming he is also, engaged in stock raising, and has met with more than ordinary success in both enterprises.

      In 1890, Mr. Patterson led to the marriage altar Miss Valeria Baldwin, a native of Iowa and a daughter of Thomas and Nancy (Emery) Baldwin, natives of Indiana and New Jersey, respectively. In 1848 her father removed to Iowa and two years later crossed the plains with an ox team to California, where he spent three years. Returning east, he again located in Iowa, and he and his wife are still living in Jasper county, that state. Mr. and Mrs. Patterson have two sons: George R.. born in 1892; and Carroll V., born in 1895. The parents are both members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Fairmont, and Mr. Patterson is also connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Politically he is an ardent Republican and is one of the leaders of the party in his community. Coming to the state in rather limited circumstances, he has gained for himself a comfortable compe



tence, and also won the confidence and esteem of all with whom he has come in contact by his upright, honorable life. 

Letter/label or barLISHA KINNEY, one of the most progressive and successful agriculturists of Seward county, is the owner of a beautiful farm on section 29, precinct P. His methods of farm management show deep scientific knowledge combined with sound practical judgment and the results show that high class" farming, as an occupation, can be made profitable as well as pleasant.

      Mr. Kinney was born in Belmont county, Ohio, February 24, 1840, and is a son of William E. Kinney, who came to this country from County Armagh, Ireland, about 1826, when a lad of eight years. Soon after, about 1830, his great-grandparents, Thomas and Margaret (Carr) Kinney, from whom many of the Kinneys in America are descended, also came to this country. Thomas had a brother, Henry M;, who settled at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. In the family of Thomas and Margaret Kinney were five sons and two daughters, namely: William, John, James, Thomas, Henry, Deborah, and Jane. The fourth son, John Kinney, was the grandfather of our subject, and was married to Miss Erwin, and two sons were born to them: Thomas Erwin and William E., the father of Elisha. William Erwin Kinney grew to manhood in Belmont county, Ohio, and there his marriage was celebrated in 1838, Miss Sarah Kinney (a second cousin) becoming his wife. Seven of the children born to them reached years of maturity and three were married, our subject being the eldest of the family. The names of the seven were: Elisha, Erwin C., John, Robert E., Ira, Mary Jane, and Melissa D. Melissa D. married George Gregg, and died in 1883, leaving three children: Roy, Frederick and Clara.

      Upon a farm in the county of his nativity, Elisha Kinney spent his boyhood and youth, and, although provided with limited educational advantages, he made good use of his time and prepared himself for teaching, a profession which he successfully followed for ten terms, two of these in Nebraska. Early in the spring of 1872 he decided to come west, and proceeded to Lincoln. He finally decided to locate in Seward county, on the Big Blue river, where he now lives--a decision he has never had occasion to regret, for here he has prospered, securing a good home and comfortable competence for himself and family. He now has one of the best and most highly cultivated farms of the locality.

      At Barnesville, Ohio, in 1866, Mr. Kinney was united in marriage with Miss Narcissa McKirahan, and to them have been born five children: Emma O., now the wife of T. F. Tompson; William S., who married Flora Bromwell, has two children, Neal H. and Beulah Grace, and was first lieutenant in Troop K, Third United States Cavalry, with Captain Culver; Alva R., who married Grace C. Barrager, daughter of the late Captain Barrager, of Crete, Nebraska; and Melissa D., married J. E. Brong; and Alice Pearl, who is teaching school at Camden. The children have been provided with liberal educations, Alva Raymond being a graduate of Doane College; his wife being also a graduate of Doane.

      In early life Mr. Kinney was a supporter of the Democratic party, but at present an ardent Populist. His fellow citizens recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to public positions of honor and trust, and for twenty years he has been justice of the peace of his district, notary public now, and a member of the county board from precinct P. He was also appointed postmaster at Camden under President Arthur, and still retains that position. Socially he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.



Letter/label or barEORGE W. DAVIS, a well known resident of Lushton and an early settler in York county, Nebraska, was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, March 13, 1833.

      The parents of our subject were Samuel Nurse and Abigail (Pettis) Davis. His grandfather Davis settled in New York in very early day, and located on the lands where the city of Cuyahoga now stands. Here Samuel Nurse Davis, the father of our subject was born April 4, 1796. The family moved to Ohio near Cleveland when he was a child and he there met Abigail Pettis, to whom he was married June 12, 1823. He had two brothers and a sister, all of whom lived in Ohio and were married there. Abigail (Pettis) Davis was the daughter of Benjamin Pettis, a veteran of the Revolutionary war. He was among the first to volunteer in Connecticut, leaving a wife and three children at home. He was transferred to the Carolinas, and at the end of the war, after an absence of seven years, upon receiving his discharge he made his was back to Connecticut, only to find, at the end of many weary months of travel, that his family had disappeared and could not be found. After many years search he way compelled to abandon the quest, and it is not known what became of his wife and children. After several years he remarried, and the subject of this sketch is the grandson of this second marriage. Samuel Nurse and Abigail (Pettis) Davis were the parents of three children, namely: Emily Ann, Rosella, and George W. Emily Ann married John Allen, and Rosella married George Shafer. The mother died in Ohio, and the family removed to Illinois, in 1846, where the father died on his farm near Bernadotte in 1851.

      George W. Davis grew to manhood in Illinois, working on his father's farm and attending the public schools. He remained at home until his father died, in 1851, when he was left alone in the world, the mother having died in February, 1846, in Ohio. In 1856 he was married and in 1858 he removed to Missouri. The war broke out a few years later, and he returned to Illinois, and enlisted in the Twenty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, under Colonel Ritter, and later Colonel Rhodes, his company being Company K, under Captain John W. Stokes. His first actual military duty was at Mobile, April 6, 1865. He was at Mobile at the time of the great explosion, when half the city was destroyed by the igniting of thirty tons of gunpowder. He remained at Mobile until July 2, 1865, when his regiment was sent to Brazos island on the coast of Texas, and after camping about Clarkesville until August 1, 1865, they went to Brownsville, where his regiment was mustered out March 16, 1866. They reached Camp Butler, Springfield, Illinois, on the fourth day of the following month.

      For twelve years after the close of the war George W. Davis conducted a farm near Bernadotte, Illinois. In 1878 he sold his farm and went to York county, Nebraska, and purchased the southwest quarter of section 23, in Henderson township, having first arrived in that township October 22, 1878. This land was unimproved, and it required much hard work and patience to make it yield the first crops. He continued to live upon that farm, putting many improvements and conveniences upon it until 1890, when feeling himself unable to longer continue such arduous labors, he erected a residence in Lushton, where he has since lived in practical retirement.

      On August 14, 1856, George W. Davis and Miss Rebecca Greathouse were united in marriage in Illinois. Mrs. Davis remembers her grandfather Greathouse, and her grandmother, May (Ryan) Greathouse, whose marriage occurred in what is now West Virginia, their residence being near the line between Virginia and Ohio. The



grandfather served through the Black Hawk Indian war. The family removed to Ohio, and finally to White county, Indiana, where the grandfather and mother died. Mrs. Davis' father and mother were married in Licking county, Ohio, where they lived about five years. From White county, Indiana, they removed to southwest Missouri. After about two years they went to Fulton county, Illinois, and it was there that Mr. and Mrs. Davis were married. They are the parents of seven children, four of whom are now living, named as follows: Eliza Jane, Alzira F., Elza E., and Teressa Rosella. Eliza Jane married Harvey L. Walters; Alzira F. married Sherman L. Knox; Elza E. married Emma Runnels, and Teressa Rossella married Louis Labart. All the children are engaged in farming except Sherman L. Knox, who is a miller. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are members of the Christian church at Lushton, and were among its first active organizers. Mr. Davis is a member of C. W. Hayes Post, G. A. R., No. 306.

      The parents of Mrs. Davis died in Fulton county, Illinois,--the father in 1868 aged sixty-four and the mother in 1870 aged sixty-six years. 

Letter/label or barHELLY STINES.--Prominent among the progressive, enterprising and successful agriculturists of Fillmore county, is the subject of this sketch, whose home is on section 15, West Blue township. His life history happily illustrates what may be attained by faithful and continued effort in carrying out an honest purpose. Integrity, activity and energy have been the crowning points of his success, and the enterprises with which he has been connected have been of decided advantage to the community; promoting its material welfare in no uncertain manner.

      Mr. Stines was born in Niagara county, New York, August 8, 1855, and is a son of Henry. and Pyra (Harris) Stines, natives of Vermont and New York, respectively. The paternal grand father, Stines, was born in Nova Scotia, and died in the Empire state. The maternal grandfather, Benjamin Harris was a native of Vermont, and on coming west in 1864, located in Leavenworth county, Kansas, where he died about 1876. He was a farmer by occupation. The father of our subject was quite a prominent and influential man in his community, and while a resident. of Niagara county served as postmaster of Youngstown and as sheriff of the county, filling the former office for many years. At one time he edited a paper in Albany, New York, and filled the position of assistant librarian in the state library at that place for some little time. He also worked at. the mason's trade in New York for some years, and was a man honored and respected by all who knew him. He died in 1864, and his wife passed away January 1, 1899; In their family were three sons and three daughters who are still living, namely: Hal P., a farmer of Fillmore county, Nebraska; Fletcher, a resident of Fairmont, the same county; Shelly, our subject; Mrs. D. Billick, of Boyd county, Nebraska; Mrs.. I. G. Heckman, of York county, this state;. and Mrs. J. Foster, of Fairmont.

      Reared in New York, Shelly Stines was educated in the common schools of that state and later engaged in farming there for two years as a renter. In 1866 he went to Poweshiek county, Iowa, where he followed the same occupation until 1880, and then came to Nebraska. After spending one year in York county, he came to Fillmore county, in 1881, and has since resided upon his present farm in West Blue township, where he now owns four hundred and eighty acres of valuable land, three hundred and fifty of which have been placed under the plow. He has given special attention to stock raising and feeding, and each year ships from



eight to ten car loads of stock which have been cared for on his home farm, besides large numbers which he buys and sells. In 1898, he erected upon his place, at a cost of two thousand five hundred dollars, one of the best homes in the county, and the other buildings upon the farm are in perfect harmony therewith, so that he has one of the most attractive and desirable places in the township.

      In 1884, Mr. Stines married Miss Sarah A. Bennett, a daughter of Frederick C. Bennett, whose, sketch appears elsewhere in this work. The children born of this union are Le Roy, Archie, Amie and Helen, all living. Socially, Mr. Stines affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America, and politically is identified with the Republican party, but has never sought official honors, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business interests. On his arrival in the county he had but two teams and four hundred dollars in money, and the valuable property he has since accumulated has been acquired through his own well-directed efforts. His spacious home is the abode of hospitality, for there the many friends of the family are always sure of a hearty welcome. In 1896 Mr. Stines met with a serious accident while shelling corn, by which he lost his left hand. He nevertheless accomplishes much work, notwithstanding that loss. 

Letter/label or bar. A. AND J. A. REICHENBACH, comprising the well-known firm of Reichenbach Brothers, are among the most successful business men of Rising City. Their career illustrates most forcibly the possibilities that are open to young men who possess sterling business qualifications. It proves that neither wealth nor social position, nor the assistance of influential friends at the outset of one's career are necessary to place him on the road to success. It also proves that ambition, perseverance and steadfast purpose and indefatigable industry, combined with sound business principles will be rewarded, and that true success follows individual effort only.

      The Reichenbach family was originally from Germany, but during the Thirty Years' war they were driven from that country and took refuge in Switzerland. They were Protestants in religious faith. The father of our subject, Benedict Reichenbach, was born in Switzerland, October 15, 1809, and is still living, hale and hearty, at the age of eighty-nine years. In early life he was an artilleryman in the Swiss army and was a messmate of Louis Napoleon during the latter's exile. By trade Benedict Reichenbach was a tanner, and operated extensive tanneries in both France and Russia, but lost his property in the latter country during Kossuth's revolution, which led him to come to America in 1852. He located in Ashland county, Ohio, where he continued to engage in the tanning business until the panic of 1873 closed operations. His eldest son, Major E. C. Reichenbach, was major of the Twenty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil war-the same regiment of which William McKinley was afterward brevet major. Subsequently Major Reichenbach was quartermaster of the Army of the Potomac, with headquarters at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, resigning that position in 1867. He died in Texas in 1871.

      S. A. Reichenbach, of this review, was born in Switzerland, February 15, 1850 , but was only two years old when the family crossed the Atlantic and became residents of Ohio, in which state J. A. Reichenbach first opened his eyes to the light February 18, 1854. The brothers were reared and educated in Ohio, where they remained until 1877, which year witnessed their arrival in Nebraska. Locating first in Saunders county, they engaged in farming there for two years, and for the following



three years were interested in the lumber business, but since September, 1882, they have made their home in Rising City, Butler county, where they established the Rising City Bank. In 1888 they opened the Bank of Pittsburg at Pittsburg, Boone county, Nebraska, and in 1897 also organized the Reichenbach Land & Trust Company, with a paid up capital of $50,000. This company owns large tracts of land in Butler and Polk counties and is one of the most reliable concerns of the kind in the state. The brothers are both enterprisng (sic), energetic and progressive business men, as well as able financiers, and their success in life is worthily achieved.

      S. A. Reichenbach was married in Butler county, in 1889, to Miss Carrie Horton, while J. A. Reichenbach was married, in 1890, to Miss Mabel Newcomb, and now has a little daughter--Marie. In social as well as business circles the family rank high. 

Letter/label or barROF. J. ELLIS MAXWELL, vice-president of York College and professor of natural science of that institution, was born January 1, 1867, at Lexington, Illinois. His parents were Harrison A. and Lavinia R. (Fleming) Maxwell, the former born in Fulton county, Illinois, March 2, 1829, and the latter born in Mercer county, Kentucky, April 9, 1833. His grandparents, Alexander and Mary (Ellis) Maxwell, settled in Fulton county, Illinois, at a very early day, and died there in 1892.

      To trace the ancestry of our subject, however, it will be necessary to go back into some of the most interesting periods of history. After the death of the famous Oliver Cromwell, Richard Fleming, Earl of Wigton in Scotland, having no hope of reconciliation with Charles II of England, abandoned his title of Earl of .Wigton, and emigrated to the then young but vigorous colony of Virginia. Here as a merchant he acquired a large fortune. His second son, Tarleton Fleming, was equally successful in the same calling and locality. Tartleton Fleming married Mary Randolph, daughter of Colonel Thomas M. Randolph, of Virginia. Her sister, Elizabeth, was the wife of Peter Jefferson, and mother of Thomas Jefferson, third president of the United States. William Randolph Fleming, first son of Tarleton and Mary Randolph Fleming, inherited a large plantation and two hundred slaves, but preferring the law, he early turned his attention to that profession. He practiced successfully in the courts of Virginia, served fifteen years as a member of the state legislature, one term as member of congress from Virginia, and was a candidate for senator when his death occurred at Richmond, October 5, 1814, in the forty-third year of his age. His death resulted from a gun-shot wound accidentally inflicted by his cousin, Archibald Randolph, while they were out hunting. William R. Fleming was married to Anna Webb, daughter of John Seymore Webb, a descendant of the Seymore house of England, his great-great-grandmother, being one of the wives of Henry VIII, of England.

      John Tarleton Fleming, first son of William R. and Anna Webb Fleming, was born on the 14th day of December, 1794, at the country-seat of his parents in Goochland county, Virginia. Although heir to the Wigton estate in Scotland and a large fortune in Virginia, he placed his life upon the altar of his country, and enlisted at the age of nineteen years as a soldier in the war of 1812. Through the great hardships and exposures of the war he contracted neuralgia of the optic nerves, which rendered him almost blind for the rest of his long life. After the war he removed to Mercer county, Kentucky, where on the 25th day of February, 1830, he was married to Miss Sarah Turner, daughter of Starling Turner, of Mercer county. In 1834 he removed to



Fulton county, Illinois. Here until the freedom of the slaves was accomplished he continued to agitate the slavery question, and to vote the Abolitionist ticket. Although the son of a slave-holder, and inheriting a large number of slaves, he had refused to receive them as property, declaring that he was born an abolitionist. After the war he removed to Page county, Iowa, and a few years later to San Francisco, California, where he died February 9, 1883, at the advanced age of eighty-nine years. His wife, Sarah, survived him ten years, dying December 24, 1893, at the age of eighty-two years. Lavinia R. Fleming, daughter of John Tarleton and Sarah (Turner) Fleming, and mother of our subject, was married to Harrison A. Maxwell September 13, 1855, in Fulton county, Illinois. His parents were Alexander and Mary (Ellis) Maxwell, the former born in Tennessee in 1804. He died at Canton, Illinois, in March, 1892. Mary (Ellis) Maxwell was born near Vandalia, Illinois, in the year 1808, and died at Canton, Illinois, December 17, 1892, in the eighty-fourth year of her age.

      The subject of this sketch, J. Ellis Maxwell, from the age of five to the age of seventeen years, lived on a farm in Page county, Iowa, to which state his parents had moved from Illinois. He attended the public schools of Page county, and worked on the farm, and his opportunities for an education during that time were limited. At the age of seventeen years he accompanied his father to Jefferson county, Nebraska, where his father purchased h farm, and young Maxwell worked for him until the age of twenty-three years had been attained. He then left the parental roof and struck out for himself. He attended the Nebraska Wesleyan University at Lincoln, from which institution he graduated in 1894; but his thirst for learning was not by any means satisfied, and he decided to take the post-praduate (sic) course, and at the end of the year the University conferred upon him the master's degree. (1895.)

      Before the completion of his post-graduate year the board of trustees of York College tendered to him the chair of natural sciences, the full board concurring in the invitation. He has performed the duties of that position for three consecutive years, with great honor and satisfaction, and has again been chosen to the same position for the fourth year, and to show their appreciation of his valuable services and his marked ability, the board of trustees in 1897 elected him vice-president of the college, re-electing him to the same important place in 1898.

      The most important step in his career, however, was taken in August, 1898. On the 24th day of that month, he was united in the bonds of wedlock with Miss Ella M. Smith, daughter of Herman C. and Jennie (Willis) Smith, of York, Nebraska. With deep acquirements in knowledge and culture, an enviable position, sincere esteem of his fellow men, and a happy domestic life, it would appear that none of the complements of a successful career are wantin , (sic) and surely the star of Prof. Maxwell is in the ascendant. 

Letter/label or barHARLES ALDRICH, deceased, was president of the Farmers State Bank of Fairmont at the time of his death and was one of the most successful agriculturists of Fillmore county. He had a wide reputation as a most capable financier, and occupied a position of no little prominence in business circles. His life demonstrated what may be accomplished through energy, careful management, keen foresight and the utilization of powers with which nature has endowed one, and the opportunities with which the times surround him.

      Mr. Aldrich was a native of Rhode I-l-



and (sic), born in Cumberland, August 27, 1823, and was a son of Thomas A. and Mariah (Gaskill) Aldrich, also natives of that state, where they spent their entire lives with the exception of twelve years when residents of Worcester, Massachusetts. The father was a farmer and followed that occupation throughout life, but besides his farming land he owned bank stock and other property and was quite well-to-do. After a long and happy married life of sixty-five years, both he and his wife died in 1886, within three days of each other. He was born in 1796--she in 1801. To this worthy couple were born eleven children, four sons and seven daughters, but all are now deceased with the exception of Sarah, who is now living in East Northfield, Massachusetts. Our subject's grandfather, Thomas Aldrich, was born in Rhode Island of English parentage. The family was founded in this country early in the seventeenth century, and the old homestead in Rhode Island is still in the possession of the family.

      Reared on the home farm, Charles Aldrich acquired his literary education in the schools of Rhode Island and Massachusetts, and when quite young began farming in his native state, where he remained until 1852. He spent one year in Michigan and then went to Bureau county, Illinois, where he followed the same occupation with a brother until the latter died in 1856. He continued to make his home there, however, until 1864, when he removed to Missouri, but not being pleased with that state he returned to Illinois a few months later. In 1882 he came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and located at Fairmont, purchasing a farm adjoining the town site. He gave his attention to agricultural pursuits until his death, and in 1886 also became interested in the Farmers State Bank of Fairmont, of which he was chosen president. In his business enterprises he had met with remarkable success and at the time of his death owned a large amount of valuable land He never took an active part in political affairs nor sought office, though he twice served as township assessor and always faithfully discharged his duties of citizenship. Although not a member of any religious denomination, he was a believer in Christianity and led an honorable, upright life, which gained for him the confidence and esteem of all with whom he came in contact. He passed away October 14, 1892, and his death was mourned by many friends as well as his immediate family.

     On the 19th of September, 1861, Mr. Aldrich was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Buterbaugh, a native of Pennsylvania. Her great-grandfather came to this country as a Hessian soldier during the Revolutionary war, but he soon deserted the British forces and assisted the colonies in achieving their independence as a member of the Continental army. Her parents, Jacob and Susanna (Young) Buterbaugh, were also natives of the Keystone state, and in 1853 removed to Illinois, where they died in 1893 and 1890, respectively. To Mr. and Mrs. Aldrich were born four children, of which three reached years of maturity and are still living, namely: Emeline A. now Mrs. Berson, of Maywood, Nebraska; George E., president of the Farmers State Bank of Fairmont; Bertise E., who is vice-president of the same institution and resides at home. Willie is deceased. 

Letter/label or barORACE F. SMITH, whose home is on section 25, township 13, range 4, is ode of the most extensive stock dealers of Polk county. Greater fortunes have been accumulated in this section of the state, but few lives furnish so striking an example of the wise application of sound principles and safe conservatism as does his. The story of his success is short and simple, containing no exciting chapters, but in it lies one of the most valuable secrets

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller