NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



county, Nebraska; Edward C.; James Otis; Eva May; George A.; Effle E.; Elva A. and Ella. The entire family are now residents of Butler county and are widely and favorably known. Politically, Mr. Barlean is identified with the Republican party; socially belongs to A. Lincoln Post, No. 10, G. A. R., and religiously is a faithful member of the Methodist church. 

Letter/label or barOE TALBOTT, who spent his early manhood in active business, and mainly in agricultural pursuits, is now practically living retired at his pleasant home in Benedict surrounded by all the comforts of life. By the exercise of industry, perseverance and good management, he has secured a competence, which enables him to lay aside business cares and enjoy a well earned rest.

      A native of Jefferson county, Ohio, Mr. Talbott was born June 24, 1840, and is a son of Richard and Margaret (Humphreys) Talbott, who were also born in that county, where they spent the greater part of their lives engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1871, however, the father emigrated to Nebraska and took up a homestead in York county, on which he made his home until his death, which occurred in 1880. In his family were ten children, four sons and six daughters.

      In the county of his nativity, Joe Talbott grew to manhood and acquired his literary education there, as well as a thorough knowledge of farming. In 1858 he went to Des Moines county, Iowa, where he continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until after the Civil war broke out. In 1862 he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, with which he served for three years, participating in the sieges of Vicksburg and Atlanta, the battles of Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge, and many engagements of lesser importance. During the battle of Atlanta he had a finger broken by a ball striking his gun, but aside from this he was never wounded. At the close of the war Mr. Talbott went to Fulton county, Illinois, where he made his home until 1871, which year witnessed his arrival in York county, Nebraska. Securing a homestead on section 26, Morton township, he erected a story and a half sodhouse upon it by building a frame and covering it with sod, and on the completion of his residence he turned his attention to the improvement and cultivation of his land, which he successfully operated until his removal to Benedict, in 1893.

      In 1880 Mr. Talbott led to the marriage altar Miss Allie Gregory, a native of Jefferson county, Iowa, and a daughter of Abraham G. and Elizabeth Gregory, who came to York county in 1874. One child graces this union--Richard G. Mr. and Mrs. Talbott both hold membership in the Episcopal church, and he is also identified with the Knights of the Maccabees. In politics he is a Populist, and he has served his fellow-citizens as a member of the school board for fifteen years, and as treasurer of his township since January, 1898. He is widely and favorably known, and has a host of warm personal friends throughout York county. 

Letter/label or barWAN A. JOHNSON, an industrious, energetic and progressive farmer residing on section 15, Bryant precinct, Fillmore county, Nebraska, was born in Sweden, December 10, 1863, and is the youngest son of John and Mary (Johnson) Johnson. In the family were six children, all of whom remained in Sweden with the exception of our subject and his sister, Mrs. A. W. Peterson, now a resident of Bryant precinct.

      During his boyhood and youth, Mr. Johnson pursued his studies in the public schools of his native land, and was there



confirmed in the Swedish Lutheran church. With the hope of bettering his financial condition, he came to America at the age of twenty years, and immediately after landing proceeded to Fillmore county, Nebraska, where he purchased eighty acres of wild prairie land for seven hundred and twenty dollars. This he subsequently sold for a good price and bought the eighty-acre tract in Bryant township on which he still resides. It is now a well-improved and highly cultivated farm, and is conveniently located two miles and a half from Shickley.

      At the age of twenty-five years, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage with Miss Mary Larson, also a native of Sweden, who was born December 1, 1864, was educated there, and confirmed in the Swedish Lutheran church. Her parents were Lars and Majorette Johnson. She lost her mother during her infancy and her father when she was seventeen years old. There were five children in the family, but she is the only one that came to the United States. She crossed the Atlantic at the age of nineteen and earned her own living in Nebraska until her marriage. Neither she nor her husband have had occasion to regret their emigration to this country, for here they have prospered, and are now the owners of a cozy little home and a well improved farm. Thus their thrift, frugality and industry have been well rewarded, and by their upright, honorable lives they have gained the confidence and respect of all with whom they have come in contact. In his political affiliations Mr. Johnson is a pronounced Republican. In 1896 they made an extended visit in Sweden and other eastern countries, spending two years in a most enjoyable manner. 

Letter/label or barUDGE DAVID TRUAX MOORE.--Among the old settlers and worthy citizens of York county none is more deserving mention in its history than the subject of this biography. His influence has extended beyond the county limits, and he has been a factor in shaping the destiny and fundamental policy of the state. He was York county's first attorney, first probate judge, and was a member of the second constitutional convention of the state.

      Judge Moore is of Scotch extraction. John McMoore came from Scotland before the Revolutionary war, and having had some military training, joined the American army at the beginning of the war, and served until its close. On enlisting he dropped the "Mc" from his name as a useless appendage. He married a Miss McNair, also from Scotland, by whom he had two daughters and also a posthumous son, who was given the name of John Moore. He was a volunteer in the American army in the war of 1812. The father of our subject was twice married, his second wife being Miss Sarah Snowden, of Virginia. Her parents were from New Jersey, and probably of Scotch origin. By this marriage eleven children were born, two of whom were with Sherman on his march to the sea.

      David Truax Moore was the eighth child, and was born in Waynesburg, Ohio, September 23, 1831. When about six years old he was left fatherless, and was sent to the home of a cousin, John Miller, in Holmes county, Ohio, where he attended the district schools and worked on the farm until he was sixteen years old, when he taught his first school. He then entered Hayesville Institute, at Hayesville, Ohio, and later a college at Athens, Ohio, conducted by the Associated Presbyterians. Here he pursued his studies until the middle of the senior year, when he went to St. Clairsville, Ohio, to teach. At that place he was superintendent of the union schools for several years, and studied law under judge Peck. He was alternate delegate to the Philadelphia convention which nominated



John C. Fremont for the presidency, and in the fall of the same year made a tour of the southern states on account of ill health. He finally located at Taylorville, Illinois, completed his law studies, and was admitted to practice by Judge David Davis, and opened a law office in Taylorville. His health required a more active life, however, and he took a position as traveling agent for an insurance company. In Pike's Peak in 1860 he learned of the nomination of Lincoln by the Republicans, and returned home to aid in his election, and cast his first presidential vote. He opened a law office, but ill health compelled him to give it up, and selling his law library, he again took up the insurance business.

      On January 19, 1864, our subject married Miss Sarah Shumway, daughter of Judge Shumway, and a graduate of the Illinois College for Females. They set out for the west, and landed in Nebraska, in the unorganized county of York. He took up a homestead and pre-emption claim, opened a law office on his farm, but after seven years moved to York, the county seat, where he still resides. They have three children, two sons and one daughter. The older son graduated from the medical department of the State University at Lincoln, and took a post-graduate lecture course in New York city, and is now superintendent of the hospital for the insane at Jamestown, North Dakota. The younger son took a course in a medical school at Toronto, Canada, and a year's course in scientific nursing in the asylum, and is now a member of the hospital corps of the regular army and is acting as steward at Camp Barrat, at Guanajay, Cuba. The daughter is bookkeeper for the "Times" office, York, Nebraska.

      Judge Moore was the first attorney to locate in York county. He was unanimously elected as its first probate judge, and he represented several of the western counties in the second constitutional convention. Since that time he has never sought political honors. He was a Republican from the organization of the party, and assisted to perfect the party organization in York county. Since its adoption of the "gold standard" he has abandoned the organization, though still an old-time Republican. Judge and Mrs. Moore are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal church, at York, and Mrs. Moore is an active worker in the cause of foreign missions and of the AT. C. T. U. The judge belongs to the A. F. & A. M. fraternity, being admitted as a member of the Chapter and Council, in Iowa. His membership is now at York. 

Letter/label or bar. J. DIXON, a worthy representative of the agricultural interests of West Blue township, Fillmore county, was the first man to locate in this section of the state, and has since been prominently identified with its interests. He was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, March 27, 1841, and is a son of James and Lucy (Springer) Dixon, the former a native of New Jersey, the latter of Pennsylvania. The mother died during the infancy of our subject and the father subsequently married again. He had eight children, two sons and six daughters. He was a country merchant and farmer of Fayette county, where he continued to make his home until called from this life in 1876. The paternal grandfather of our subject was James Dixon, a native of Ireland, who came to the United States when a young man, and in this country followed agricultural pursuits. His death also occurred in Pennsylvania. In his family were three sons.

      Mr. Dixon, of this review, is indebted to the common schools of Pennsylvania for his educational advantages. At the age of sixteen he started out to make his own way in the world by working at farm labor, and on



attaining his majority went to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. In 1864 he removed to Putnam county, Illinois, but two years later sought a home still farther west and landed in York county, Nebraska, in 1866. From a map he located his present homestead and the following spring took up his residence thereon, his nearest neighbor at that time being five miles away. Upon his land he constructed a dugout, later lived in a log house, and in 1884 erected his present comfortable and commodious home. He at once turned his attention to the improvement and cultivation of his land and turned the first sod in this section. Indians were still quite numerous in this region, but they never molested him, although two thousand seven hundred of them were at one time encamped near his claim.

      In February, 1867, Mr. Dixon was united in marriage with Miss Lydia Gillmore, a native of Pennsylvania and a daughter of Elias and Hulda (Rush) Gillmore, who were also born in that state, and in 1859 removed to Livingston county, Illinois. In 1866 they also migrated to York, Nebraska, and both died in York county. Our subject and his wife have eight children living and one deceased, namely: Arthur J., now a resident of York county; Olvin A., of Iowa; Walter, of North Dakota; Emma M. and Calvin H., both at home; Minnie L. who is now teaching in York county; and John and Lloyd, both at home.

      Both Mr. and Mrs. Dixon are members of the United Brethren church of Lushton, and their lives have ever been in harmony with their professions. Politically, he is identified with the Republican party, and has served as treasurer of school district No. 1 since its organization. Though elected to other positions, he has refused to qualify, preferring to give his entire time and attention to his farming interests. As a representative man of the county and an honored pioneer, he stands pre-eminent, and is numbered among the valued citizens who have been devoted to the public welfare. His sterling qualities command the respect and confidence of all, and have secured for him the high regard of a large circle of friends and acquaintances. 

Letter/label or barALLACE WHEELER, deceased, was for several years one of the leading and representative citizens of Fairmont, Nebraska, and did much to promote the commercial activity, advance the general welfare and secure the material development of the town and county. As a business man he was enterprising, energetic and always abreast of the times, and his well directed labors were rewarded with a comfortable competence. A portrait of Mr. Wheeler is presented on another page of this volume.

      Mr. Wheeler was born in Brandon, Vermont, March 4, 1840, and was a son of William P. and Mary A. (Ambler) Wheeler, the former also a native of the Green Mountain state, the latter of New York. The father was a carpenter and wheelwright by trade, and for some time operated a sash, door and blind factory and also a sawmill in the east. In 1852, he removed to Illinois, where he engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in March, 1895. His wife passed away December 6, 1897. They had a family of five children, three sons and two daughters, of whom two sons and one daughter are still living. Wallace Wheeler, the second son, was educated in the schools of Illinois. Reared upon the home farm, he continued to engage in agricultural pursuits in that state until 1868, when he accepted a position as salesman for farm machinery. The following year he came to Nebraska City, Nebraska, where he organized the firm of Wheeler & Tucker, which existed for three years, and later located in Lincoln. For



Picture button




some years he was the western agent of the Marsh Harvester Company, remaining with that firm until their failure in 1884. In that year he came to Fairmont and assisted in organizing the Fairmont Creamery Company, of which he was made president. On the re-organization of the company, he was again chosen president and continued to fill that position most creditably and acceptably until his death, which occurred February 7, 1897. He was also interested in other business enterprises, including the farm implement trade, and was a business man of more than ordinary ability, being possessed of keen perception, of great sagacity and unbounded enterprise.

      On the 1st of January, 1863, Mr. Wheeler was united in marriage with Miss Elmira Rogers, a native of Canada and a daughter of Joel and Mary (Richardson) Rogers, who were also born in Canada of English parentage. Her paternal grandfather was a large land owner, and a farmer by occupation, as were most of her ancestors. Her maternal grandfather was a captain in the English army. To our subject and his wife were born two children, namely: Stella A., who died in Illinois in 1865; and Susie E., who died in Nebraska City in 1872. Mrs. Wheeler is an estimable lady of many sterling qualities, and has a large circle of friends in this community.

      While a resident of Illinois, Mr. Wheeler held membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was a leading and influential member of the Republican party in his community and twice filled the office of mayor in Fairmont. As the founder of what has become one of the most important lines of business in this section of the state, he deserves special credit. His success was the result of honest, persistent effort in the line of honorable and manly dealing. His aims were always to attain the best, and he carried forward to successful completion whatever he undertook. 

Letter/label or barLIZABETH WILLIAMS SENFF.-- The West has always shown greater favor to women than has been granted her by the more conservative East, and Nebraska stands well to the front in the number and prominence of its business and professional women. Among them may well be mentioned her whose name heads this article. She has made a pronounced success of the business of agriculture, a following, perhaps, least inviting to the gentle sex. Her home, on section 26, township 10, range 4 west, near Bradshaw, presents a picture of rural comfort, thrift and prosperity not surpassed by any in York county.

      Mrs. Senff is a native of Wales, born January 22, 1863. Her parents died in Wales, while she was yet but a young girl, and she determined to venture across the broad Atlantic, and seek a home and competence in the new world, where her uncle and aunt had preceded her.

      Our subject was married in York county, Nebraska, February 22, 1881, to August Senff. Mr. Senff had previously homesteaded the west half of the northwest quarter of section 27, township 10, range 4 west, which they still hold and at present also own the east half of the northeast quarter of section 27, same township and range. Their first home was a sod-house and in it they lived seven years. They then erected a comfortable house and substantial barn, cribs, and necessary buildings for enjoying the comforts of farm life. In the winter of 1893 Mr. Senff was taken ill with lagrippe, which affected his mind. As he did not recover he was placed in the hospital, but has shown little evidence of regaining his health. Still Mrs. Senff is hopeful and is keeping the farm free from any incumbrance and purchasing additional land, waiting her husband's return. Mr. and Mrs. Senff are the parents of five children: Frederick, William, Bertha, Louisa, August and Fernam. Three of the children are living. The son,



fourteen years of age, and the daughter, thirteen, are doing much to lift the heavy burden from their mother, who alone has the management of the farm, comprising one hundred and sixty acres.

      Although, on account of her education having been neglected in her native country, Mrs. Senff did not learn to read or write, she speaks fluently three languages and is well posted on the topics of the day. Mrs. Senff was a Congregationalist in her native country, but there being no church of her faith near her new home she worships with the Lutherans. Mrs. Senff is strictly honest in all her dealings and has never found it necessary to sign a note or mortgage. She says her motto is "Pay as you go "-and she is at present contemplating the purchase of an additional eighty acres of land, but is waiting till her savings are enough to purchase for cash. Mrs. Senff's earnest application to her duties and her honesty have won her financial success and her kindly interest for those around her has won her the esteem of all who are fortunate enough to be among her acquaintances.

      Mr. Senff was a soldier in the German army, before coming to America, but was naturalized in this country and has since voted the Republican ticket. 

Letter/label or barENRY L. BADGER, a worthy and honored representative of the pioneers of Fillmore county, Nebraska, is a true type of the energetic, hardy and courageous men who actively assisted in the development of this wonderful region. For many years he efficiently served as surveyor of the county, but is now living in Fairmont.

      Mr. Badger was born in East Granby, Connecticut, May 26, 1829, a son of Lewis and Mary L. (Carter) Badger, also natives of that state. The father was a prominent physician and surgeon, who successfully followed his profession for many years in Connecticut, and held the position of physician at the New Gate Prison in that state. In 1834 he removed to Delaware county, Ohio, where he engaged in practice until 1865, and then went to Odell, Livingston county, Illinois, where he continued to reside until called from this life in 1872. He had a family of four sons, of whom our subject was the only one to come to Fillmore county, Nebraska.

      Henry L. Badger was reared and educated in Ohio, attending the university at Westerville, that state, and after laying aside his text books he engaged in farming in that state until 1858, when he went to Story county, Iowa, and resided there for two years. He next made his home upon a farm in Livingston county, Illinois, until 1868, which year witnessed his arrival in Nebraska. In Fillmore county, he preempted a claim on section 2, West Blue township, and the following year took up an adjoining homestead, which he improved and cultivated for some time. He was the eighth settler in the county and assisted in its organization, at which time he was appointed county clerk and also county surveyor, having previously done some work along that line. He held both positions until the following year, when he was elected county surveyor at the first election ever held in the county. After serving in that office for several years, he went to Frontier county, Nebraska, in 1884, being engaged in surveying and locating settlers there until the following year, when he removed to Weld county, Colorado. On the organization of Washington county, that state, he was appointed county surveyor, and remained there until 1890, when he returned to Fillmore county, where he has since made his home uninterruptedly. He is a pronounced Republican in politics, and has the respect and esteem of all who know him.

      At Fort Wayne, Indiana, in December,



1854, Mr. Badger was united in marriage with Miss Mary A. Phelps, a native of Ohio and a daughter of William Phelps, and to them were born two children: Lewis H., a leading farmer of West Blue township, who is represented on another page of this work; and Jeanie, wife of E. M. Forbes, of Fairmont, Nebraska. The wife and mother, who was a most estimable lady, departed this life January 11, 1894. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM BENJAMIN ROCHAN, a prominent and substantial farmer of Butler county, Nebraska, has contributed much to the prosperity and advancement of his adopted county. His home is located on section 20, Savannah township, in the outskirts of the village of Bellwood.

      Mr. Rochan was born in Montreal, Canada, July 25, 1848. His grandfather, John Rochan, was a native of Bulong, France, came with his parents to America, and took part in the Rebellion in Canada in 1836. He was a farmer by occupation. Our subject's father, Eli Rochan, was a lawyer in Montreal, He was married January, 1841, to Sophia Ouimett.

      Our subject was the fourth child and third son. He received his education in Canada in the common schools and at Goodland College, Montreal. At fifteen years of age he went to Bay City, Michigan, and engaged in the sawmill and lumber business. At the age of twenty-one he accompanied his cousin, John Ouimett, to North Platte, Nebraska. Here he engaged in government work and later was engineer on the Union Pacific railroad. He selected section 20, Savannah township, in Butler county, for his home and entered his homestead claim July 4, 1871. After perfecting his claim, in 1875, he went to Columbus, Nebraska, and engaged in the grain business in company with J. C. Morrisey. After eight years, partnership, Mr. Rochan purchased Mr. Morrisey's interest and continued the business for three years. In 1886 he moved to Bellwood and ran an elevator. At the end of two years he purchased an elevator and lumber yard at Octavia, remaining there until, in 1893, he returned to Bellwood and was appointed postmaster during Cleveland's second administration.

      Mr. Rochan married Miss Alice Smith in Platte county, Nebraska, in 1869. Mrs. Rochan died in Bellwood in 1894. To this union were born five children as follows: Frank, Oscar, Daniel, Clarence and William.

      Mr. Rochan and Carrie McCulley were married in 1895. They have a fine residence and live in comfort, surrounded by conveniences found only in the best rural homes.

      Mr. Rochan has always been prominent in political circles, both county and state, standing stanchly (sic) for the Democratic ticket. He is an honored member of several secret orders, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Degree of Honor. 

Letter/label or barEWIS H. BADGER, a progressive and prominent agriculturist residing on section 2, West Blue township, is a worthy representative of one of the oldest and most highly respected families of Fillmore county,--one that has borne an important part in its upbuilding and development. He was born in Miami county, Ohio, October 5, 1856, a son of Henry L. and Mary A. (Phelps) Badger, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume.

      When quite small our subject accompanied his parents on their removal to Iowa and later to Illinois, and in 1868 came with them to Fillmore county, Nebraska, where he grew to manhood amid scenes quite familiar to frontier life. During his youth he assisted his father in breaking prairie



and transforming the wild land into highly cultivated fields, and at an early age was given the entire management of the place. He now owns the old homestead on section 2, West Blue township, where he has lived continuously since coming to Nebraska, and is successfully engaged in general farming and stock-raising.

      In 1885 Mr. Badger married Miss Minnie E. Wies, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Charles and Mary (Scott) Wies, who now reside in McLean county, Illinois. One child graces this union: Mary B., born in June, 1889. Socially, Mr. Badger is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and both he and his wife belong to the Degree of Honor. He uses his right of franchise in support of the Republican party and its principles, but has never cared for political preferment, the only public office he has filled being that. of school director. He is a leading and representative man of his township and merits and receives the warmest confidence and esteem of his fellow-citizens. 

Letter/label or barAL P. STINES, a leading and influential member of the agricultural community, of West Blue township, Fillmore county, resides on section 16, where he owns two hundred and forty acres of fine farming land under a high state of cultivation. All of the improvements are the work of his own hands, and reflect great credit upon him.

      A native of New York, Mr. Stines was born in Essex county, July 2, 1848, and is a son of Henry and Pyra (Harris) Stines, also natives of that state, the former born in Orange county, November 3, 1824, the latter in Essex county, July 9, 1824. They were married December 25, 1846, and became the parents of three sons, all of whom are now residents of Fillmore county, Nebraska. The father followed various occupations throughout life and died in New York in 1864. More extended mention is made of him in connection with the sketch of Shelby Stines on another page of this volume. In 1866, the mother removed with her family to Iowa, and in 1882 came to Nebraska, where she departed this life on the 1st of January, 1899. She was quite well known and had a host of friends in Fillmore county. Our subject's paternal grandfather, John Stines, was a native of Nova Scotia, and about 1817 or 1818 emigrated to the United States, locating first in New York state. His last days were passed in Iowa, and in Poweshiek county, that state, he died. On the 10th of May, 1823, he married Elizabeth Swaney.

      Hal P. Stines grew to manhood in his native state and pursued his studies in its public schools. At the age of sixteen he began the battle of life for himself and has followed farming continuously since. He accompanied his mother on her removal to Iowa, and remained with her in that state until 1878, assisting in the operation of the home farm. He then came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and secured one hundred and sixty acres of school land on section 16, West Blue township, which at that time was all raw and unimproved. After building thereon a small frame residence, he began to break his land and now has it all under a high state of cultivation and improved with good and substantial buildings. He has also extended the boundaries of his farm until they now contain two hundred and forty acres of rich and fertile land.

     In 1879, Mr. Stines was united in marriage with Miss Clara Rose, a native of Illinois, where the marriage was celebrated. Her parents, Josiah and Malinda (Bly) Rose, were both native of New York state, and in 1857 moved to Carroll county, Illinois, where the father died in 1881, but the mother is still living and now makes her

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller