NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library




Letter/label or doddleARION M. CLOUGH is the senior partner  of the firm of Clough & Leopold, well-known ranch and stock men. He resides on section 29, Nemaha Township, where he has 720 acres of land devoted to farming and stock-raising. Aside from his successful business he deserves honorable mention as one who has worn a share of the honors of his country while engaged in her defense, having a war record of which he may well feel proud. His father, Horace P., and mother, Ann (Brown) Clough, were natives of New York, the former having his nativity in Chautauqua and the latter in Delaware County. His grandfather, Horace Clough, was born in New Hampshire.

The parents of our subject made their home in Pennsylvania, where the father was engaged in agricultural pursuits until the year 1863, when they came to Henry County, Ill. The mother died in 1867, aged fifty-four years, and in the following year the father returned to Pennsylvania, where he remained until 1875, and then came to Nebraska. In 1876 he was united in marriage with Mrs. Winters, who died in February, 1888, and he is now spending his remaining days with his eldest daughter. Mrs. Lucy M. Gillmore, in Highland Township, having reached the advanced age of seventy-two years. By his first marriage he was the father of nine children, viz: Marion M., Levi D., Horace J., Lucy M., Otis R., William W., Josephine A., Celesta A., and Wendle  B., deceased.

Our subject was born on the 3d of March, 1834, in Canal Township, Yenango Co., Pa., and he spent his early boyhood principally on his father's farm, deriving his education from the common schools. He began to learn the carpenter's trade at the age of fifteen, and when he reached the age of twenty years his father allowed him to use at his own discretion the proceeds of his labor. He was among the large number of young men who thought there were better opportunities for business enterprise "Out West," so in 1854 he came as far as Henry County, Ill., and worked at his vocation until 1859. He then went to Sparta, Monroe Co., Wis., and engaged in the lumber business, making a contract to furnish pine logs to the Dammon Mills. In that business he continued for one and a half years, when the call came from Abraham Lincoln for 300,000 men.

 With a loyal heart our subject responded to the call, and in August, 1861, he was among the first to enlist in Company A, 3d Wisconsin Cavalry, and was mustered into service at Janesville after having been drilled at Camp Barstow. In February, 1862, he departed for St. Louis, where he entered the Army of the Frontier, and with which he participated in the battles of Cane Hill, Prairie Grove, and the Price raid into Missouri, which called for a ten days' fight. He was otherwise extensively engaged in skirmishes, his principal duties consisting of bushwhacking, in which he had his horse shot under him. Fortunately he was never taken prisoner or wounded, never sick or in the hospital. When his company was organized he was given the rank of Corporal, and in 1862 he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant, but before the close of the year he was advanced to the rank of Orderly Sergeant at Ft. Scott, and served in this capacity throughout the war. He was mustered out at Madison, and honorably discharged in February, 1865, after having taken his place in the ranks as one of the bravest soldiers.

After he was relieved from his service in behalf of the country, our subject engaged in the freighting business on the plains, hauling goods and supplies for one year from Ft. Leavenworth to Denver. In the following year he engaged very successfully and extensively in the farming and stock business in Southwestern Missouri, and while in that part of the State he made the acquaintance of the lady whom he afterward made his wife. He was married, on the 2d of December, 1865, to Miss Ellen H. Dodge, a daughter of Edward and Phoebe (Austin) Dodge. who were natives of New Hampshire, and had both come unmarried to Missouri in 1821. The maternal grandfather, Daniel Austin, was one of the original founders of the Harmony Mission for the Osage Indians, and the family was prominent among the early pioneers of Missouri.

Mrs. Clough was born on the 2d of July, 1847, at Little Osage, Vernon Co., Mo., and after her marriage with our subject they continued to reside in that State until 1873, when the health of the latter having been impaired by malaria he was advised by his physicians to try a Northern climate. In 1873, with his wife and one child, he came to







Nebraska and took out a claim of eighty acres in Highland Township, it being the last one in the township. He began to improve his claim, and in 1884 he gave his attention to stock-raising, which proved to be lucrative, and in 1886 he sold his farm and has since been ranching extensively.

Our subject and his wife are the parents of seven children, whose names are Nettie E., Alta P., Mary V., Florence (deceased), Jay P., Dessa A. and John R.; the latter died when he was six months old. In 1888 Miss Nettie E. was married to William Leopold, the partner of our subject. Both Mr. and Mrs. Clough are members of the Congregational Church, of Cortland, in which the former is Deacon, and the family ranks as one of the most prominent in the community. Our subject is a charter member of Monitor Post No. 84, G. A. R., which was established in 1883, and holds the office of Surgeon. He has served as a school officer for a period of four years, and in the Judiciary Courts he has served as a member of the Petit Jury. He is a very ardent Republican, and was sent as a delegate to the County Convention in 1884. He is a generous and intelligent man, genial and hospitable, and pays strict attention to his extensive business, and as a splendid representative of the active business men of the county the publishers take pleasure in presenting his portrait in connection with this brief sketch of his life.

Letter/label or doddle

Letter/label or doddleAMES PLUCKNETT is one of the successful and enterprising stock-raisers and farmers of Grant Township, and having come to his present position through struggles and difficulties, he is the better enabled to appreciate his success, which is due to his intelligence, assiduous labor and careful thrift. His specialty is in Short-horn cattle and the higher grades of hogs. His property is 500 acres in extent, and contains some most excellent pastoral land, and is situated on section 30.

 Our subject has to look across the Atlantic as the place of his birth, which took place on the 31st of March, 1836, in Somersetshire, England. The interested reader is referred for further particulars to the biography of William Plucknett, which will be found upon another page. The subject of this sketch was the sixth child of seven born to his parents, and spent the first twenty years of his life in their home. his education was obtained in the parish school of his native place, and there he became the possessor of a fair and practical English education.

In the string of 1856 our subject started with his father for the New World, and landed in New York upon the 3d of May, the same year. He pushed on to Trumbull County, Ohio, and six months later made his way to Hancock County, Ill., where he lived for about three years. in 1859 he went to Shelby County, Iowa, and thence, in 1861, he came to Nebraska, and settled in this county near the Big Blue River, on the 10th of June, when the entire surrounding country was exclusively wild prairie

The first thing done upon settling was the building of a home, in which he followed a happy bachelor life for some time, but he did not seem to fully appreciate what some would call his " liberty," and upon the 29th of September, 1869, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Summers, one of Indiana's fairest and best daughters. This lady was born in Clark County, Ind., on the 27th of March, 1847, to Join L. and Margaret (Blades) Summers, who were natives of Kentucky and Maryland, respectively. Upon their marriage they settled first in Kentucky. but it was not long before they removed to Indiana. Thence they migrated to Kansas, but owing to the long drouth in 1860 returned to Indiana, and six years later made their way to this State, and have since lived near DeWitt, in Saline County, where they own a good farm. Both Mr. and Mrs. Summers are lifelong members of the Baptist Church, and are affiliated with the membership at DeWitt.

The wife of our subject was brought up for the most part in Indiana, and in the public schools of that State received her education. She made her home with her parents until she left it at her marriage. She is one of a family of nine children born to her parents. Her union with our subject has







been the more firmly cemented and its joys enhanced by the birth of ten children, two of whom departed this life in childhood. The names of this interesting family are recorded as follows: Flora T. and Anna B., deceased; Elizabeth E., Frances M., Augusta E., Clarence J., William N., Amy A., Anna E. and George M., all of whom still reside with their parents.

During the late war our subject was a member of the 2d Nebraska Cavalry, under the command of Capt. LaBoo and Col. Furnace. The company enlisted in October, 1862, and was ordered to join the Army of the West; the chief engagement during its term of service was that at Whitestone Hills, Minn., though quite a large number of lesser engagements were entered into. Our subject escaped unhurt, although he continued in the service until December, 1863, when the company was mustered out at Nebraska City, and its members receiving honorable discharge returned to their homes. Their term of service was short, and, was entered into with a view of protecting the interests of the settlers of the frontier, who without some such help would have been at the mercy of those who only waited an opportunity for depreciation.

About the time our subject returned home, doffed his military uniform and hung up his sword, the Homestead Law was passed, and he, taking advantage of the same, entered the first homestead under that law in his district. This property he has added to from time to time until he has become the owner of 520 acres, all of which is situated in Grant Township. He continues to reside upon the original homestead, where he has erected a very pleasant and commodious dwelling, besides a complete set of such buildings as are needed for the purpose of a stock farm of such extent. His home is situated about a mile and a quarter from DeWitt, and is built upon one of the prettiest parts of the banks of the Turkey River, as it winds its way through his farm.

 Like his father our subject is a thorough Englishman in make-up, disposition and some National characteristics; but he is also a true citizen of the United States, and thoroughly American in his thoughts, sentiments and judgment. He has always been very active in the various enterprises and projects that have been for the advantage of the county or State, and it were hard to find a more respected and popular citizen than he or a more highly esteemed family than his.

Letter/label or doddle

Letter/label or doddleENRY C. BRIDGES, whose excellent and highly cultivated farm is situated upon section 15 of Riverside Township, is a native of New York; he was born in Otsego County, Oct. 2, 1838, and went from his native State to Livingston County, Ill., in 1866, where he engaged in the lumber business, and continued his residence until 1878, when he came to this county. While residing in Odell, Ill., he was for two years engaged in the lumber trade, and made quite a success of the business. Upon coming to this State he was enabled to purchase at once his present property, which was at that time devoid of buildings or any sign of cultivation.

Our subject has been engaged the greater part of his life in agriculture, it is not surprising, therefore, that his property speedily took on a very different appearance, and has for several years been one of the most flourishing, productive and fertile in the township. The farm buildings, including barn, stabling, granary and others of minor mention, are all well constructed, and those intended for the use of the stock are built having in mind the need of warmth during the long and severely trying winter. These buildings compare most favorably with those of others in the district, and Mr. Bridges has spared neither time nor expense in making these and his house what they should be. This latter has been admirably placed, well designed, substantially built, and nicely decorated. It is not far removed from the orchard he has set out, which contains about eighty well-selected apple trees, thirty plum trees, and about twenty fine cherry trees. Upon the farm, exclusive of the grove, are some 2,000 shade trees of various kinds. These add much to the effectiveness of the picture presented by this property.

However beautiful the home of our subject may be, whatever attractiveness it possesses, either from its natural surroundings or other embellishments,







these would be as nothing compared with the possession of the faithful wife, by whom he has been enabled largely to attain the success of his life. Our subject would he the first to protest that, without the inspiring influence of her companionship, the wisdom of her intuitive counsels and the cheering brightness of her hopes, the present prosperity was doubtful. The day that united him with this most estimable lady was the 18th of February, 1869. Her maiden name was Anna S. Hotchkiss, of Odell, Ill. There have been born to them three children, viz: Dexter A., who was born July 4, 1874; Harry B., Sept. 16, 1879, and Bessie I. on the 6th of April, 1884.

During the late war our subject served in Company D, 8th New York Cavalry, for three years, and three months, enlisting on the 16th of September, 1861, under Capt. Frisby. of New York. In the second year of service our subject was promoted from the rank of private to that of Orderly Sergeant; later he was promoted to a Lieutenancy. He was with his company in the Army of the Potomac, and took part in the battles of Fredericksburg, the Wilderness, Antietam, Gettysburg, and a large number of other battles and lesser fights. In many of these he was brought into close contact with the enemy, and can testify to numerous hairbreadth escapes, and although it was his good fortune to come out unwounded, he became almost used to having his clothing and hat ventilated by bullet holes, so much so that after awhile the sensation of novelty had passed away, and when an additional ventilation was added it occasioned barely a remark. Upon receiving his discharge from the army he returned to Illinois, and recommenced work at his usual avocation.

 Our subject is the son of Alonzo and Fidelia Bridges, natives of New York State and Connecticut. His father's chosen occupation in life was that of a merchant. He was born in December, 1797, and died in 1863, aged sixty-six years. The parents of our subject were married at Hartford, Conn. Our subject was the fifth of their eight children, six of whom are now living. The parents of the wife of our subject were natives of New York. Their names were Benjamin F. and Delia (Baldwin) Hotchkiss. Her father died in Beatrice in 1879, at the ripe age of sixty-two, and they came to Nebraska the same time as our subject; the mother resides in Beatrice.

Mr. and Mrs. Bridges are members in good standing of the Congregational Church, and are very highly esteemed by the members of that communion. In his political sympathies and principles our subject accords with the Republican party, of which he has been a faithful member and stanch friend since it was within his power to cast a ballot. At present he holds the office of Township Treasurer, which he has continued to do for two years. Both he and his wife are cordially appreciated in the community, as worthy of very high regard in any and every relation of life.

Letter/label or doddle

Letter/label or doddleOHN F. BARKHURST. Although one of the younger citizens of Grant Township. our subject is one of the most progressive; in general intelligence and practical knowledge of his calling, there are few, considering his age, who surpass him. He is the owner of 160 acres on section 10, eighty of which are fully cultivated. He purchased this property in 1882, but has not lived upon it all the time since then. The improvements he has made, and the work of an agricultural nature that has been accomplished, would do much credit to one of longer life and larger experience.

Mr. Barkhurst is the son of Joseph Barkhurst, a native of Ohio, whose chosen calling in life was that of farming. As a young man he was united in marriage with Miss Eveline Mossman. In 1857 with his family he removed to Nebraska, and settled upon a new farm, and as usual immediately began to improve it. He is now one of the rich men of Otoe County, where he owns 640 acres of very fine laud. Their family includes four sons and five daughters, all of whom are living. Our subject was born in Wyoming Precinct, Otoe County, May 10, 1861, and was there brought up. His education was given early and full attention by his parents, and comprised in addition to the usual school subjects an intimate practical knowledge of agriculture,




Prior page
Next page
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller