GAGE COUNTY 417
his previous success has not forsaken him. He is the owner of forty-eight head of graded cattle, eleven horses, and sixty-five splendid hogs.
Mr. Netzly has not been prominent in political circles. but has, nevertheless, at all times been deeply interested in matters pertaining to the political economy of the State and Nation, and invariably is prepared to discharge every duty that is his as a citizen. He is an affiliate of the Republican party, and has held the office of School Treasurer. Both our subject and wife are old and consistent members of the German Baptist Church, in which they are highly esteemed. In the community at large Mr. Netzly is quite favorably known, and highly esteemed as a worthy, honorable, progressive and valued citizen.
ESLEY FELLERS represents farm property in Grant Township to the extent of 160 acres of choice land on section 22. To this he came in September, 1881, commencing operations thereon, although not settling here with his family until the year following. He is an Ohio man by birth, his early home having been in Findlay, Hancock County, where in Eagle Township he was born Oct. 30, 1847. He was the eldest son and second child of his parents, Andrew and Sally (Bergman) Fetters, who were also natives of the Buckeye State, being reared and married in Hancock County. They traced their ancestors to respectable old Dutch families of Pennsylvania, and possessed in a marked degree the reliable and substantial traits of their ancestors. The father of our subject, a practical and well-to-do farmer, is still living, and now a resident of Wood County, Ohio. The mother died at the old homestead in Hancock County, in March, 1858. Andrew Fellers married for his second wife Miss Elizabeth A. Yates, who is also living.
The subject of this sketch remained a member of the parental household until reaching his majority, and in 1876 went to McDonough County. Ill., where he remained for about one month. There also he was married near Colchester, in January, 1876, to Miss Susan Isabel Cherry, who was born in that county, April 20, 1856. Her parents, Abram B. and Margaret (Brownly) Cherry, were natives of Ohio. The mother died at Colchester when a young woman. The father is now living with his second wife, on a farm in Saline County, Neb. Mrs. Fellers after the death of her mother was taken into the home of her aunt, in Saline County, this State, where she lived until a short time before her marriage.
Mr. and Mrs. Fetters after their marriage settled in DeWitt Township. Saline County, but lived there only a short time, coming thence to Grant Township. They are now the parents of four children--William A., Andrew B., Elbert W, and Edith B. Our subject and his wife are members in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at DeWitt, taking an active interest in its prosperity, and contributing liberally to its support. Mr. Fellers has always been warmly interested in the success of the temperance movement, and votes in favor of prohibition. He is a man of excellent habits, healthy and genial, and a general favorite among his neighbors. Our subject has been a resident of Nebraska for the past thirteen years.
A view of Mr. Fetters' farm and its surroundings is presented on an accompanying page.
EORGE A. CLOPINE. Among the early settlers and valued citizens of Highland Township, few, if any, surpass the gentleman whose biography is herein sketched, who is a most worthy representative of the German-American citizen, than which there are none more desirable as a class. Our subject was born upon the 14th of August, 1841, in the beautiful town of Baden-Baden. He is the son of Jacob and Caroline Clopine, natives of the same Empire. They are the parents of five children. and of these our subject is the eldest son.
Mr. Clopine received the rudiments of his education in his native country, supplementing it by study in the common schools of this country, so that he is possessed of a fair education in the dual languages. When nine years of age it was his misfortune to lose his mother by death, a loss at such
418 GAGE COUNTY
an age irreparable. Not long after this bereavement his father emigrated to this country, locating in Scioto County, Ohio. In January, 1854, being then about thirteen years of age, our subject took passage in a sailing-vessel, and after an ocean voyage of thirty-five days he landed in New York City, immediately went West, and joined his father in the above county, and there made his home until he reached his twenty-first year, being engaged during that time in farming and mining.
In August of 1861 our subject enlisted in Company C, 53d Ohio Infantry, which became part of the 15th Army Corps, which was attached to the Army of the Tennessee. In this our subject served throughout the Atlanta campaign, fought in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg, etc., helped to swell the numbers of the heroes who took part in the famous march of Sherman, was one of the campaigners in the Carolinas, and was within five days' march of Richmond when it surrendered. His military experience was finished by the grand review at Washington, after which he was honorably discharged at Little Rock, Ark. His constitution being quite undermined by the various viscissitudes (sic) and exposures incidental to this period, and being incapacitated for labor through chronic rheumatism contracted from the above causes, he receives a liberal pension from the Government. .
Our subject returned to Ohio from Washington, and in October of the same year, viz: 1865, he was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Fry. This lady is a native of Scioto County, and was born on the 19th of January, 1846, to Bernhard and Angeline Fry, both of them natives of Hanover, Germany. They emigrated to America in the year 1840, and settled first in Scioto County, and subsequently in Pike County of the same State. In this latter Mrs. Clopine was brought up, and in its schools received her education. Of this union there have been born five children, viz: John W., who was born on the 16th of May, 1867; Samuel D., on the 21st of June, 1871; Mary A., on the 4th of December, 1873; George W., April 19, 1875; and Logan, Sept. 27, 1886. .
Immediately after his marriage our subject removed to Southeastern Missouri, and there made his home until the spring of 1872, during that time being engaged in farming. At the end of that period he came to Gage County, arid homesteaded 160 acres of land, being the northeastern quarter-section of section 14 of Highland Township. No one who has not had the actual experience can ever grasp the meaning of the word pioneer life; no one can appreciate its difficulties, hardships, trials, inconveniences and disappointments. Nevertheless, our subject has endured and labored and overcome, and to-day he is the owner of as fine a farm, in as high a state of efficiency and as thoroughly cultivated, as perhaps any in the county. All of this is due to his own intelligent, indomitable, assiduous effort, continuously inspired and enthused by the affectionate devotion of his faithful companion in life.
Our subject and his estimable wife are both members of the Church of God, Mr. Clopine having served in the office of Deacon for several years, arid also in that of Assistant Sunday-school Superintendent. For three years he held the appointment of Moderator of the School Board in his district. In his political sentiments and sympathies our subject is one with the Republican party, at the same time he is not an active politician. In each and every one of the above circles and relationships, religious, social and political, our subject is highly esteemed, as is also his wife, and they enjoy the cordial good feeling and best wishes of all, and there are none who can more appreciate the extension of the same.
SAAC LAMB. One of the best situated and most productive farms in Blakely Township is that of Mr. Lamb, who in 1870 entered on section 22 the land which now forms his farm, and is 120 acres in extent. Since the time he settled upon it, when it was in nowise different to the prairie around it, he has, by diligent, persevering, intelligent effort, transformed it into a very garden of productiveness, utilizing every part and making it subservient to his labor. In addition to this property he is the owner of forty acres on section 20. .
Previous to his settlement as above, our subject resided in Iowa, which had been his home from the
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller