GAGE COUNTY 419
year 1851, and from that time until 1865 he resided in Marion County, and then until his final exodus from the State in Warren County. His chosen calling was that of a carpenter and builder, which was, however, supplemented by farming to some extent. He is a native of Ohio, and was born in Richland County of that State, upon the 6th of July, 1831. The father of our subject, Lawrence Lamb, was a Virginian by nativity, and as he grew to manhood adopted as his chosen occupation agricultural pursuits. He was educated and brought up in the Buckeye State, and shortly after attaining man's estate became the husband of Martha Burch, likewise a native of Virginia, but from childhood an inhabitant of Ohio. Their family included six sons and four daughters, our subject being the youngest but one, but of these there are now only four living. Mr. Lamb, Sr., died at his home in Richland County when fifty years of age, when our subject was but six years of age. His wife survived him many years, and died in Morrow County, at the age of eighty years.
Our subject was reared in his native State, and remained there working upon the farm until he started for the West, locating in Iowa. It was while a resident of Marion County that he became acquainted with Miss Isabella McElroy, and was attracted to her by that subtle magnetism, real, powerful, indefinable and unseen, that is the adhesive force of the home and State, and was united with her in wedlock on the 7th of December, 1854. This lady is the daughter of John and Mary A. (Watt) McElroy. Her father was born in Pennsylvania, of Irish parentage; her mother, in "Erin's Isle." They were married and settled in Pennsylvania, but after a few years migrated to Ohio, and in 1850 removed to Marion County, then just being opened up. Later in life they went to Warren County, Iowa, and there reside at present. Her father has reached the very advanced age of ninety-two years, her mother that of eighty-three. All their lives they have been devoted and consistent members of the United Presbyterian Church.
Mrs. Lamb made her home with her parents until the time of her marriage; she was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, on the 28th of March, 1832. Her education was commenced in the usual institution when she was about eight years of age, and continued until she completed the course of instruction. At home her mother trained her fully in all matters of household duties, cares and responsibilities, and the result thereof has been obtained in the increased happiness and freedom from friction in her own home since marriage. There have been five children born to our subject, whose names are recorded as follows: Martha A., Mary J., John L., Emma S. and William J. Mary died when about two years of age; Martha is now Mrs. Edward Bartlett (see sketch of Mr. Bartlett); John is a resident of Jefferson County, this State, where he has a fine farm of 120 acres; he is the husband of Ella Thompson. The two younger members of the family are still at home, William operating the farm and his sister taking charge of the household.
This interesting family are greatly respected in the community on account of their success in life and their high standard of character, loyalty, and sympathy with every enterprise and project that promises to benefit and advance the interest of the community. Mr. Lamb is very deeply interested in all political questions, and is an affiliate of the Republican party.
OSEPH WINDLE. Among the pioneers of Nemaha Township there are few who have been more deeply interested and earnestly anxious for its advancement than he who is the subject of this sketch, now a prosperous farmer upon section 8. He is the son of Abraham and Mary Ann Windle, natives of Virginia, where their family chronology is clearly traceable for seven or eight generations. The grandfather upon the maternal side (Bubeck) was in the War of 1812, and served as a private throughout the campaign.
The parents of our subject were married in their native State, where the father had a good farm and was quite prosperous. In 1839, however, he sold his property and took a tract of timber land in Ohio, and erected the primitive log cabin, clearing his farm tree by tree and acre by acre. Here they made their home until the year 1870, when he died, aged seventy-seven years. His widow still
420 GAGE COUNTY
resides in Putnam County. Ohio, and is sixty-nine years of age. Mr. Windle, Sr., was twice married, and by the first union became the parent of five children, and by his second, with Miss Bubeck, his family was increased by ten others, whose names are recorded as follows: By first wife, William, Immanuel, Cornelius, James H., and Isaac. By second: Jacob and Abraham (twins); Samuel died in infancy; Joseph, Eliza, David, John, Mary A., Rachel C. and Amanda A.
Our subject was born on the 7th of January, 1837, in Shenandoah County, Va. He was two years of age when his family removed to Ohio, and it was in the latter State that he received the foundation of his education, which was commenced when he was twelve years of age. When about twenty years of age he went with his brother Jacob to Illinois and worked for about two years in McLean County, and then returned home to Ohio.
In the year 1859 our subject became the husband of Miss Sarah Elizabeth Murfild, the daughter of George W. and Hannah (Baker) Murflld, who were natives of Maryland and New York respectively. Grandfather Murfild was one of the heroes of 1812, and was wounded to complete disablement while in that service. Mr. and Mrs. Murfild settled in Franklin County, and were married there in 1839; he died at the age of fifty years, on the 28th of February, 1881, at his son's in Indiana. His widow still lives in Delaware County, and has reached the advanced age of sixty-eight. She was the parent of twelve children, whose names are recorded as follows: Sarah E., William, Mary A., Daniel, Corella, Ellen, Tilda, George, Phebe, Johnny (deceased), Immanuel and Martha.
The wife of our subject was born in Franklin County, Ohio, July 13, 1840, at the homestead, which was situated on the banks of the Scioto River. She made her home until the time of her marriage, however, with her grandparents, who superintended the process of her education and gave her the best that was obtainable in the common school of that time, and were delighted by the mental power manifested during this process, and the revelation of the many beautiful traits, characteristics, qualities and graces that first attracted our subject to her, and have ever since secured to her the first and highest place in his life. Mr. and Mrs. Windle settled in Ohio, and previous to our subject's enlistment became the parents of three children. Their family, however, in all numbered twelve children, whose names are as appended: Ellen J., Charley (deceased), Joseph E., Joshua M., Amanda A. (deceased). George W., Clara O., Martha A. (deceased), Alvina, Flora and John F. (both deceased), and James H.
Of the children of our subject, Ellen J. was married to Frank Shelt, and is resident in Fillmore County, Neb., where he has a well-cultivated farm; they are the parents of three children, who have been named Bertha B., Bessie P. and Mabel O. Joseph E. became the husband of Miss Addie Houk; he also is one of Fillmore County's rising farmers. They are the parents of one child, who has received the name Ethel Belle. The remainder of the children are at home and engaged in school or farm duties.
The military experience of our subject began in 1864, when he enlisted in Company K, of the 136th Ohio Infantry, and was mustered into service at Camp Chase and departed for Washington City. His term of service was for 100 days. The. first two weeks of service were spent in Ft. Ellsworth, from there his regiment was sent to Ft. Wood, thence sent to Ft. Farnsworth, where the major part of his term of service was spent. Thence he was brought back to Camp Chase, mustered out and honorably discharged, returned home and resumed his farm work.
In 1872 our subject removed from Ohio, and arrived at Bennet, Neb., in April of that year, although he had visited and prospected the previous fall, and was so delighted with the outlook that upon his return he sold his property in Ohio, as above intimated, and began a new life in a new country. He purchased from Mr. Clough a homestead of 160 acres in extent for the sum. of $250, and from that time, despite some adverse circumstances and difficulties incidental to life under the most favorable conditions, he has been more than usually successful. His home is very pleasantly situated and is abundantly supplied with shade trees, while not far distant from it is an exceptionally fine grove, comprising ash, walnut,
GAGE COUNTY 421
box-elder and cottonwood trees. The garden and fields of the farm are bounded by well-trimmed hedges, adding much to the picturesqueness of the situation. The whole of the farm is well improved, and has been brought to a very high state of agricultural perfection.
Mr. Windle has from the first been energetic in projects for the advancement of the community. Shortly after arrival he succeeded in effecting the and was also energetic in the organization of the township, of which he was the first Justice of the Peace. Our subject and wife are very consistent and active members of the Meserveville Methodist Church. They have always been deeply in earnest in religious matters, and active workers in the cause. The first service held and sermon preached in Nemaha Township were at the home of our subject, a primitive sod house, but withal comfortable and bright. The preacher was the Rev. Hull, of Adams. His text was "Despise not the time of small things," from which he preached an appropriate and telling sermon to an audience that more than filled the house, many of whom had come a distance of about ten miles. These things speak with no uncertain sound the inclination, desire, character and tendencies of our subject and wife, and render further remark unnecessary. In regard to political and Governmental questions our subject is in sympathy with the Republican party and usually supports that cause, but never at the sacrifice of what he believes to be the right.
ARREN E. CHITTENDEN. The farming community of Highland Township contains few more popular or responsible men than the subject of this sketch. A farmer and stock raiser of ample means, he is comfortably located on section 19, where he has 160 acres of land with good buildings, and all the other appliances necessary to the comfort and success of the modern agriculturist.
A native of Lake County, Ill., our subject was born July 12, 1853, and is the son of John and Sarah (Esty) Chittenden, the former a native of New York State and the latter of Massachusetts. After marriage they settled in Illinois, where they still live. Myron Chittenden, the paternal grandfather of our subject, traced his ancestry to Scotland. The first representative of the family crossed the Atlantic prior to the Revolutionary War, settling in New England. Myron left his native hills when a young man, and subsequently enlisted as a soldier in the War of 1812. When the conflict was ended he settled in New York State, and there married and reared his family. He spent his last days in Lake County, Ill.
John Chittenden in early manhood was married to Miss Sarah Esty, and they became the parents of a large family of children, eight of whom are surviving, and of whom Warren E. is the eldest. The next brother, Charles, is farming in Pratt County, Kan.; Sarah J. is the wife of Edward Heydecker, of Lake County, Ill., where the next brother, Ralph, is also sojourning; Nellie, Mrs. William Cleveland, is a resident of Chicago, Ill.; Alice, George and Mamie are in Lake County, Ill. The parents of our subject were numbered among the early pioneers of Lake County, Ill., where they took up their abode about 1847, and where they have lived for a period of over forty years. They are about sixty years of age, and as the result of goodly lives and correct habits are still in possession of much of the activity of their youth. W. E. Chittenden when a young man learned the miller's trade from his father, and worked with the latter for a number of years. He also assisted his father on the farm, and subsequently made agriculture his chief calling.
The subject of this history was given a good practical education, and early in life commenced to lay his plans for the future. Among the most important of these was the establishment of a home of his own, and he was accordingly married, in Lake County, Ill., July 4, 1876, to Miss Emma Pitman, who was born there Feb. 14, 1858. The parents of Mrs. Chittenden, Frank and Sarah (Squires) Pitman, are natives of England and Canada respectively, whence they removed to Illinois about 1855, and are still residents of Lake County. There were born to them eight children, seven of whom are living: Emma, Mrs. C., was the eldest; Anna is the wife of Joseph Karr, of Antioch, Ill.; Charles
422 GAGE COUNTY
is farming in Cortland, this State, and Frederick in the vicinity of Antioch, Ill.; Frank continues in his native county in Illinois, where also are the two youngest, Nettie and Warren.
The six children of Mr. and Mrs. Chittenden were born as follows: Charles W., July 22, 1878; Pearl A., May 7, 1880; Frank, Dec. 25, 1882; William G., Aug. 26, 1884; Edward J., Nov. 20, 1886, and Frederick C., Oct. 25, 1887. Our subject came with his family to this county in the spring of 1878, and purchased eighty acres of land from the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Company at $6.25 per acre. Upon it stood poor buildings, and in the cultivation of the soil he commenced practically on first principles. He has made good headway, and besides bringing his first purchase to a good state of cultivation, added to it until he now has a quarter-section, all of which is in a productive condition. He was exceedingly fortunate in his choice of a wife and helpmate, Mrs. Chittenden having stood bravely by her husband's side during his labors and struggles, sharing in his toils and privations. She amply deserves the recognition which he generously tenders her, and which is too often withheld from those who most justly merit it.
Mr. Chittenden uniformly votes the straight Republican ticket, and has served as School Director in his district. They enjoy the friendship of a wide circle of acquaintances, and the hospitalities of their pleasant home are shared with the best people of their locality.
ON. JOHN M. WARDLAW. Modern history knows but one Republic; but one people capable of governing themselves, and that is America. France cannot compare; it is a Republic in name only; its people are not yet arrived at that condition necessary to self-government. In the present biographical compendium is presented a brief history of one who has been selected by an intelligent community. and has been honored by their placing in his hands the authority to represent them in their Government,. and who has added to that honor that of a faithful, intelligent and consistent service in the office, and strict fidelity to the trust reposed in him.
Of the ancestors of our subject little is known, excepting that they were Scotch. The great-grandfather of our subject was the first of the family to come to America. He made his home in Virginia until his death. The father of our subject was a farmer and merchant, and migrated to Kentucky, and while there went to Ohio and was united in marriage with Miss Dickey, a daughter of William Dickey, a prominent anti-slavery advocate, a cousin of T. Lyle Dickey, of Illinois.
The father of our subject was a slave-holder, but his wife had been educated to a diametrically opposite idea, and largely through her influence in the year 1843 they removed to Putnam County, Ill., in 1844 he giving each of his slaves free papers. In Kentucky, he had dealt largely in live stock, and was very prosperous in every regard. Upon removal to Illinois he rapidly became one of the leading citizens of the community, and one of its most wealthy citizens. He was quite active in political affairs, and served as Sheriff of the county for two consecutive terms, having previously represented in a most able manner his district in the State Legislature, besides holding minor offices.
The mother of our subject departed this life in the year 1844, leaving seven children, whose names are found in the family record as follows: William D., of Frontier County, Neb., who died in March, 1888, aged sixty-three years; Andrew F., owner of an extensive sheep farm in Washington Territory; Martha J., the wife of J. M. Steele, of this township; James R., a prosperous farmer in Hillsdale, Iowa; our subject; Mary E., relict of R. W. Moore, and resident in White City, Kan., and Artemissa D., now Mrs. Edward Smith, of Cortland, in this State. Mr. Wardlaw, Sr., was married a second time, the lady being Mrs. Martha McClung, nee Moore. He came to Nebraska in 1878, and died Aug. 18, 1882.Our subject was five years of age when the family removed to Illinois, and received his education in the Granville Academy of Putnam County, and quite early in life began to assist in the store of his father, and the postal duties. In 1861 he enlisted in the 20th Regimental Band, and served fourteen
GAGE COUNTY 423
months as a musician, his instrument being a "B flat" cornet, he was present at the battles of Fts. Henry and Donelson, Shiloh, and the siege of Corinth, and was mustered out by the general order from Washington, which mustered out all military bands. He thereupon returned to Putnam County and assisted his father in the duties of his farm. The brothers of our subject, four in number, who enlisted about the same time, went through the greater part of the war.
On the 16th of October, 1865, our subject was united in marriage, at Rochester, N. Y., with Miss Antoinette Smith, a native of New York, and a daughter of B. H. and Philena (Mortin) Smith. After his marriage our subject took up his residence near Granville, Putnam County, with the exception of one year spent in Vermilion County, until 1871, when he came to Nebraska and purchased 160 acres of unimproved land, and has so far prospered as to be able to purchase an additional eighty acres, and has erected a fine, well-situated and commodious dwelling. His farm is operated upon the line of general farming, with most gratifying results.
Mr. and Mrs. Wardlaw are the parents of seven children, who have received the names here appended: Carrie, now the wife of George Weiser, of Cortland, Neb.; John J., James G., Philena D., William H., J. Vivian and Emma. The younger members of the family are still making their home with their parents. This interesting family are everywhere respected and admired, which is probably due to the fact of their high sense of moral duty and opportunity, which is developing in the members of their family circle those characteristics which make men and women honored, beloved and trusted.
Our subject is a member of the local body of the G. A. R. and Knights of Pythias, in both circles being received with that respect which, as Americans, his fellow-citizens give to one they admire and esteem. In political matters he has always been deeply interested and earnestly active. He has served as Justice of the Peace for ten years, and has also represented his district in the Legislature. Besides this he has been several times called upon to assist in the township elections, more especially at the election of Hon. A. S. Paddock to the United States Senate. During his term of office our subject succeeded in securing an appropriation of 22,000 for a public building at Beatrice. Such deeds make their own mark, and are indelible in the hearts and minds of the people who are interested, for by it unknown thousands will be helped and interested for good.
HOMAS MAGUIRE is an enterprising young farmer, residing on section 15, Island Grove Township, where he has a fine farm of eighty acres. He was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., on the 19th of November, 1854, and remained at home until he was twenty-four years of age. His father, John Maguire, was born in Ireland, in the year 1819, and in June, 1845, he came to New York. He remained in that State for ten years, after which he went to DeKalb County, Ill., and there engaged in farming, making his home in Dekalb and Boone Counties for ten years. In 1868 he came to this State, and took a homestead of 160 acres on section 26, Island Grove Township, this county. He has made many improvements on his land, and is now comfortably situated.
The mother of our subject was Alice (Talon) Maguire, who was born in Ireland in 1830, and came to America in the year 1845. In 1846 she was united in marriage with the father of our subject, by which union they have a family of seven children, all of whom are now living, and are named John, William. Thomas, James, Albert. Frances and Charles. The children are married, and two of them make their homes in this county. Our subject is the third child of the family, and came to this county with his parents, buying his present farm in the year 1883. He now has it all in a finely improved condition, with a neat and attractive dwelling. and the necessary farm buildings and fences. When he purchased his farm he paid $5 an acre, but his improvements have increased its value to many times that amount. He makes a specialty of raising grain, and the breeding of live stock.In 1878 our subject was united in marriage with Miss Anna McVey, who is a daughter of Reuben
424 GAGE COUNTY
and Mary (Hansbury) McVey, and was born on the 20th of January, 1864, in Iowa. Her parents were natives of Ohio, who removed to Iowa, but are now residing in Pawnee County, Neb. By their marriage our subject and his wife are now the parents of three bright and interesting children, to whom they have given the names of Delbert, Lula and Nellie. Mrs. Maguire is an amiable and attractive lady, and by her cheerful and inspiring presence, and the careful management of her home, she proves herself a faithful and devoted helpmate to our subject, and assists him by her kindly advice in the successful management of his farm labor. He is energetic and industrious, and has made a fair start toward accumulating an ample fortune for the maintenance of his family. While Mr. Maguire affiliates with the Republican organization, he is sufficiently non-partisan to vote for the candidates whom he believes best qualified for office, no matter to which party they belong.
ON. HENRY H. SILVER. The name of this gentleman is universally recognized throughout Highland Township and vicinity as that of one of its representative citizens, and one closely identified with its farming and business interests. He makes a specialty of stock-raising, and operates successfully a fine farm, 400 acres in extent, pleasantly located on section 6, range 6. A native of Cuyahoga County, Ohio, he was born July 29, 1838, and is the son of Amos and Matilda (Spencer) Silver, who were also natives of the Buckeye State.
The branch of the Silver family to which our subject belongs originated in England, and his later ancestors were for generations residents there. John Silver, one of its later representatives and the first of the family in this country, crossed the Atlantic prior to the Revolutionary War, and settled in Virginia, where he became prominent and influential, and assisted in the framing of the State Constitution. Another relative of Henry H. later served as a soldier in the War of 1812.
To the parents of our subject there were born seven children, three only of whom are living, namely: David, of Jennings County, Ind.; Ruth A., the wife of Russell Hunt, of Summit County, Ohio, and Henry H., our subject. The deceased, who all grew to maturity but one who died in infancy, were John, Martin and Wright. The mother departed this life thirty years ago at the homestead in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in the year 1858. Amos Silver survived his partner many years, and died at a ripe old age, in December, 1886. He had been a resident of Cuyahoga County for over half a century, and during that time had thoroughly established himself in the esteem and confidence of its people.
Henry H. Silver was reared to manhood in his native county, which at the time of his birth was undergoing its transformation from a wilderness to a civilized community. His education was accordingly somewhat limited, but being fond of reading he became thoroughly well informed upon the general topics of the day, and grew into a youth of more than ordinary intelligence. At the age of seventeen he began an apprenticeship as a machinist, but this not being entirely in consonance with his tastes and inclinations, he returned home a year later, and embarked in business with his father, who, besides operating a farm, was also engaged in blacksmithing, and attended school.
Young Silver was thus employed until the outbreak of the late war, and soon after the first call for troops enlisted, April 17, 1861, in Company G, 6th Indiana Infantry. His regiment was assigned to the army of Gen. McClellan in West Virginia, and young Silver fought in the battles of Phillipi, and otherwise gained an insight into the perils of war. He was subsequently put on detached duty, and had charge of the Government shops at Grafton in West Virginia under a Quartermaster. At the expiration of the three months for which he had enlisted, he was duly discharged and returned home. His inclinations, however, drew him again within the boundaries of the army lines, and returning to the vicinity of Grafton, W. Va., he resumed charge of the Government shops there, where he remained nearly one year. Then he was employed first in Alabama, and then for a time in Kentucky and Tennessee.
Our subject retired from the Government service
GAGE COUNTY 425
in 1865, but continued in the vicinity of Huntsville, Ala., where he rented 550 acres of land with the view of raising cotton. This venture, however, proved a disastrous undertaking financially, and he was obliged to abandon the enterprise. He then entered the employ of Joseph Conner at Huntsville, at repairing and selling firearms, and was thus employed for some time, he finally resumed his old trade in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, and in 1869 we find him crossing the plains to California. During the journey, however, his plan of operation was changed. and after reaching Omaha he was induced to become agent for the Wheeler & Wilson Sewing Machine in that locality. He finally drifted to Nebraska City, and was variously employed until the spring of 1871.
Our subject now concluded to settle down, and accordingly homesteaded 160 acres of land on section 6 in highland Township, this county. The land was in a wild, uncultivated state, but he went to work with a will, and soon began inaugurating improvements which have transformed his property into one of the most desirable estates in this region. As soon as he could see his way to the maintenance of a family, he was married, Jan. 28, 1874, to Miss Sarah Uplinger. This lady was born in Luzerne County, Pa., May 25, 1850, and is the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Wood) Uplinger, of whom further mention is made in the sketch of Jacob Uplinger, found elsewhere in this work. To Mr. and Mrs. Silver there have been born eight children, six of whom are living, namely: John B., Clara L., Henry L., James A., Flora P. and Mabel. The deceased, Arthur and Frank, died at the ages of twenty-two and nine months respectively.
For the past four years Mr. Silver has served as Postmaster at Silver post-office, which he was instrumental in establishing, which is a great convenience to the people in that vicinity. In the year 1879 he was elected by the voters of this county as their representative in the Lower House of the Nebraska Legislature, and in the discharge of his duties acquitted himself so creditably that he was re-elected. In his political affiliations he is a Republican, and votes the straight ticket, and socially, belongs to the G. A. R. Post at Cortland. His real estate embraces 400 acres of valuable land and property interests elsewhere. Both he and his estimable wife occupy a leading position in society, and their pleasant home is the resort of hosts of friends, whom they have gathered around them and to whom they ever extend a generous hospitality Mi. Silver is one of those men whose word is as good as his bond, and whose credit is unlimited.
A view of the line farm of Mr. Silver, together with its environments will be found on another page.
ETER C. THOM is the son of Charles Thom, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, on the 24th of March, 1809. His education in the ordinary branches was thorough, and from school he went to the counting-house, and continued employed therein until he came to the United States in 1837, and settled in Seneca County, Ohio. Upon taking his land in the above State he gave all his attention to farming, and became unusually successful in the same.
In the year 1837 Mr. Thom was united in marriage to Mary E. Weber, daughter of Michael and Catherina Weber, natives of Bavaria, who had come to this country two years previous. They made their home in Seneca County from that time until their death. Their daughter Mary, who was born in Bavaria on the 15th of September. 1816, had made her home with her parents until their emigration, and continued to do so until her marriage as above. With her husband she afterward lived a quiet, busy, useful life, and brought up a family of thirteen children, of whom eleven are now living.
Six members of the family of Mr. Charles Thom were sons, and have entered into useful and honorable walks in life. The names of the children of this family are as follows: Peter Charles (our subject), Catherine, wife of Martin Reinhart; Elizabeth, who is happily married to Adam Simonis; Jacob, who is successful as a farrier, and, like his two brothers-in-law, is a farmer and resident of Seneca County, Ohio; Michael, of Wyandot County, Ohio; Charles H., a successful farmer; Mary, the wife of Charles Kirvan, both of Seneca County; John, a resident near Delphos, Ohio; Ann, now
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller