426 GAGE COUNTY
Mrs. Jacob Rinebolt, of Seneca County; George, engaged in agriculture in Sumner County of the same State; and Rosa, the wife of Philip Schalk, of Seneca County. All the sons except our subject have been engaged from childhood in brickmaking, learning the trade from their father, who carried on that business with unusual success.
It has already been noted, doubtless, that our subject is the eldest of this large family. He was born near Tiflin, in Seneca County, upon the 4th of May, 1838, and continued to make his home with his parents until he was fifteen years of age, up to which time he had been in attendance at the public school of the township. Then he went to Union County of that State, and learned the blacksmith trade in a shop situated near Darby Plain. Having learned this trade he continued to work at it steadily and successfully for a period of about fifteen years.
When he arrived at the age of twenty-one our subject was united in marriage with Delilah Dailey, a daughter of James and Elizabeth (Feeler) Dailey. Mr. Dailey was born on the Atkin River, in North Carolina, in 1808. When a child, his father removed to Kentucky, and after a few years to Indiana. His wife was born in West Virginia in 1810. They were married in 1836, and settled in Washington County, Ind., about fourteen years, and then went to Clayton County, where they made their home until their death, which came first to Mrs. Dailey, in 1854, and later, in the year 1879, to Mr. Dailey. Their family included five children, three of whom are still living. These are Delilah, the wife of our subject; Mary, the wife of Thomas M. Martin, of Sherman Township, in this county; and Rhoda, who is happily married to Mr. Asa Anderson. Of this family Mrs. Thom was the eldest, and was born in Washington County, Ind., on the 24th of August, 1838, and continued at home with her parents until her marriage.
On the 16th of August, 1862, our subject enlisted in Company H, 86th Indiana Infantry. Upon taking his place at the front he and his companions were ordered to Kentucky with Burnside, and continued until Crab Orchard was reached. Here he was taken sick, sent to the barracks, and admitted to the hospital, where upon recovery he was appointed Steward of Hospital No. 6, at Bowling Green, Ky., and remained there until it was closed, when he was transferred to Nashville, and served in hospital No. 5, in the same capacity. From the hospital he returned to the ranks a short time before the battle of Missionary Ridge, in which engagement he took part. In the spring of 1864 he was detailed to a pioneer brigade, and remained in the same until he was mustered out on the 6th of June, 1865.
The military experience of our subject being finished, he opened a blacksmith-shop at Lexington, Ind., continuing until the year 1868. Upon the 10th of August of that year he started West with his family, and arrived about the 1st of September in this county, making the whole journey by team. He shortly located a homestead claim of 160 acres, on section 20, Sherman Township, and the same fall had finished a dug-out, in which the family lived for about nine years. He worked one week in Nebraska City at blacksmithing, and two months for the Otoe Indians in the same way; the remainder of his time he spent upon his farm.
In 1869 our subject had good crops, and by patient continuance in labor has had continued success. It was not long before he had set out 15,000 forest trees of various kinds, and had planted a fine orchard, and year after year has seen only a continuance of prosperity. Nevertheless, in the earlier part of his pioneer life he had to endure many hard and severe trials; at one time he was so reduced and straitened that the only provisions in the house were a single sack of corn meal and a little coffee. Upon another all they could obtain was some bran bread and a few potatoes. During the winter of 1868-69 he trapped mink and sold the fur, thus providing for his family; but his success dates from that time, and now that it has come to him he fully appreciates it.
Mr. and Mrs. Thom are the parents of three children. all of whom reside at home and are in attendance upon the classes of the University of Nebraska. They have received the names here appended, viz: Sarah A., Charles and James A. The young people are bright, intelligent and vivacious, taking full advantage of the exceptionally fine educational system and institution of the State, and
GAGE COUNTY 427
their future is full of radiant hope and brilliant prospects. Our subject and wife are justly proud of their family, and will, it is hoped, be spared to see them enter and progress in honorable and useful careers. There is that in the State, its organizations, institutions, and, as some enthusiasts would have us believe, in the very atmosphere, that which inspires the desire, rouses the ambition and spurs the effort to obtain and sustain a home, and that with most gratifying results; that of our subject is but a sample of many that could be found if it were desired.
In his political aspirations and sentiments our subject is in harmony with the Republican party, and has for many years been energetic and constant in his advocacy of its principles. He is not an office-seeker, but in his hands have been reposed the official trusts of Township Treasurer, Supervisor of the township, and member of the School Board. As an old soldier he is quite a friend of the G. A. R. and a member of that order, having affiliated with the Scott Post, of Blue Springs. It is hardly necessary to add anything concerning the character of such a man, his whole life is a testimony, his early struggle and subsequent success a eulogy, that both command and receive the admiration and esteem of the community at large.
ILLIAM MANGUS is a worthy representative of the enterprising, intelligent and prosperous farmers of Sherman Township. His father, Michael Mangus, was born in Central Virginia in 1808, and has all his life followed agriculture as his chosen avocation, and still lives in his native State. The maiden name of his wife, the mother of our subject, was Sarah Showalter, who was born about 1810, in the same place as her husband. Their childhood and youth had been spent largely together, and in 1831 their lives were united in the intimate relation of husband and wife. From that time until her death Mrs. Mangus was a thorough companion and ideal helpmate. Their family included five sons and three daughters, of whom but four are now living.
Out subject was the eldest of the family, and was born on the 20th of October, 1832, in Botetourt County, Va. He continued to live at home until he was twenty-two years of age. By that time he had become quite an expert farmer, besides having laid the foundation of a practical education. On Nov. 6, 1859, he became the husband of Catherine Garst, daughter of George and Catherine (Marka) Garst, natives of Pennsylvania. Her father was born in the year 1797, and died in 1885, in Roanoke County, Va.; his wife died in 1839. She presented her husband with a family which comprised thirteen children, eleven of whom are now living. Of these the wife of our subject was the eighth child, and was ushered into life on the 9th of December, 1840.
After marriage our subject commenced farming in Roanoke County, and continued in the same until he enlisted, in 1862, in Company E, 42d Virginia Infantry, with Gen. Stonewall Jackson, and served under him until his death. Our subject fought in the battles of Chancellorsville, McDowell Mountain, Middletown and Petersburg. At the battle of the Wilderness he was severely wounded, and lay in the hospital for two months, then went back to duty with his regiment. He was taken prisoner in the valley of the Shenandoah, and languished in confinement for three months, until he was exchanged at Vicksburg. but having contracted the typhoid fever, was sick for two months longer, and was unable to rejoin his regiment until the following year. Then he remained in active service until two weeks before the fall of Petersburg, when he returned to his family, his time of service having expired. He now set about his farm work with renewed activity, though during his absence his family had done their best to keep everything moving as well as they were able.
In 1866 our subject removed to Macoupin County, Ill., and for four years followed agricultural pursuits in that place. At the end of that period he removed to Christian County, in the same State, and there made his home until the year 1881, then came to this county and purchased eighty acres of land in Sherman Township, valued at that time at $10 per acre, it being but partly improved. It was not long, however, before it responded to his efforts and yielded year by year abundantly of its
428 GAGE COUNTY
increase. Of course there were times when reasons and circumstances beyond human control prevented unqualified success, but these occasions were largely in the minority, and looking at the period as a whole, the result has been of most gratifying successful prosperity.
Mr. and Mrs. Mangus became the parents of twelve children, ten of whom are living. These have been named as follows: Sarah E., who is the wife of Enos Rishel, of Sherman Township; Rebecca Jane, who is happily married to J. W. Martin, of the same township; George W., like his brothers-in-law, engaged in farming; Jerimiah Thomas. Elias Benjamin, Joseph, Mary E., Kate, Charles E. and William, all of whom are still at home. It is a pleasure to our subject and his wife to be enabled to give their children the opportunity of a good education, so that as they step out to take their places in the world they will be somewhat prepared for its experiences.
Although at all times anxious to bear his full share of all the responsibilities that come to him as a citizen, Mr. Mangus is not a politician nor an office-seeker, but his excellent character and manly bearing, with his deep interest in educational matters, commended him to the judgment of the electors, and he is now serving as a member of the School Board, and has also been upon the Board of Election. He is an affiliate of the Democratic party, and one of its firm friends and supporters.
HARLES W. McCULLOUGH was born in Clarke County, Ohio, on the 10th of August, 1848, where he grew to manhood, and was educated in the common schools. He was there married to Miss Lydia Jones, a daughter of Stephen and Elizabeth Jones, who died in the above-named county. Mrs. McCullough was born in Greene County, Ohio, on the 14th of June, 1836, and remained with her parents until the time of her marriage, having received her education in the common schools and under the supervision of a thoughtful and careful mother, who taught her the womanly virtues and accomplishments which have made her so estimable a lady. Our subject moved to this county in 1873, and after a two years residence here he returned to Ohio, where he made his abode until 1883. but having again a desire to look upon the fertile West, he again came to this county and bought his present farm, consisting of 160 acres in the northeastern part of section 3, Sicily Township.
When our subject took possession of his land there had been no improvements made on it, so that he was obliged to begin at the very beginning, breaking time prairie land and getting it in a condition to produce sufficient food for their maintenance, and in time bringing it all under cultivation and to a condition of lucrative fertility. He has erected a good house and other buildings, has a windmill pump which furnishes an abundant supply of water, and in various other ways has made improvements and increased the value as well as improved the appearance of his farm. He raises a great deal of live stock, chiefly cattle and hogs, to feed which he uses all the corn produced by his fields, and last year he bought about 3,000 bushels extra. His thriving condition is due solely to his unceasing industry and excellent management, for he has been obliged to make his own way in life, and is indebted to no man for his success, therefore he may well feel gratified because of his achievements.
Our subject and his wife are the parents of two children, named Bessie and Guy, the former of whom was born on the 3d of January, 1872, and the latter on the 15th of November, 1875. George McCullough, a brother of our subject, was engaged for nearly four years in the service of his country during the late war, and in company with his comrades of Company F, 1st Ohio Artillery, he participated in a number of heavy engagements, but fortunately was never wounded. The father of our subject died in Ohio, on the 15th of August, 1882, but his mother still makes her home on the old homestead. Mrs. McCullough's father died on the 20th of January, 1879, and her mother on the 6th of December, 1875. Our subject is a member in good standing of the I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 172, of Yellow Springs, Ohio, and politically, he advocates the policy of the Republican party. He
GAGE COUNTY 429
and his wife have not united themselves with any religions denomination, but attend the Christian Church regularly, and are highly respected and esteemed members of the community.
REDERICK SCHENBECK was born in the northern part of Germany, where he grew to manhood's estate and received his education. There he was married, on the 10th of July, 1865, to Miss Johanne Kauffman. and in the spring of 1870 he brought his family to America. They made the voyage on the sailing-vessel "Lescadea," and for seven weeks they were intrusted to the care of the ship's crew, landing in New York on the 29th of May. On the 1st of June they arrived at Rochester, N. Y., where they lived for eight years, and then came to Beatrice, Neb., on the 15th of March, 1878. For five years our subject worked by the month, but in 1883 he began farming for himself on a piece of land hear Beatrice. He continued farming in that place until the fall of 1887, when he traded his property in the city for the farm which he now owns on section 18, Sicily Township. Besides eighty acres of well-improved land which he owns on section 18, he also has eighty acres on section 17.
The parents of our subject, John and Louisa Schenbeck, came to America from Germany in the year 1872, and are now living in this county. They had a family of eight children, of whom only three survive. When our subject came to America he had no money left after paying for the passage of his family on board the vessel, and it was necessary for him to work steadily and manage his income in the most careful and frugal manner in order to make it meet the requirements of a growing family. This he was enabled to do, and not only this, but much more, for by careful management and industry he has succeeded in placing himself in a comfortable position on a fine farm, of which he is the owner.
A family of eight children have been gathered about the home of our subject and his wife, all of whom have been spared to them to lighten their burdens and console by their companionship the later days of those who cared for them in infancy. The names of the children are as follows: Herman, John, William, Anna, Edward, Frank, Paul and Matilda. Mr. and Mrs. Schenbeck are esteemed members of the Lutheran Church, of which their parents were also members. Our subject is so much interested in the carrying on of his farm work, and gives such close attention to his business, that he does not take a very active part in politics, but he usually votes for the nominees of the Republican party.
Only those men who have begun as our subject began--at the lowest round of the ladder, and mounted, step by step, toward the top, with some struggles and difficulties perhaps, and some encouragements--can fully appreciate the sense of comfort and rest which pervades the lives of those who have gathered about them in later life a competency, as a reward for their early industry and strict integrity.
EORGE W. McKAY. The business industry of a city may be said to be incomplete unless it includes a representative from each of the many occupations in which men engage. The minister of the Gospel must be present to point out the path of righteousness; the physician must be present to insure the perfect physical life; bricklayers, carpenters and artisans of every trade are necessary for the establishing of convenient homes and adorning them with the beauties of art; there is a place for every occupation, and not only a place for it if it chances to be represented, but an inheritance by right which it is urged to receive. Our subject is engaged in the livery business, without which vocation many other occupations would lack their present enterprise and flourishing condition. Business of all kinds is facilitated by rapid transit from place to place, and there is no pleasanter method of covering short distances than by making use of that tractable and docile animal, the horse.
So well does the Arab love his trained and swift steed that rather than part with it he would first part with his children, so essential does it seem to
430 GAGE COUNTY
his happiness; and when on the desert, both horse and rider are swayed by one and the same impulse. Of all domestic animals the horse is to the greatest extent capable of the highest training, its understanding sometimes seeming almost human, and its sympathy with man, its best friend, enabling it to follow his guidance in the most minute particulars. For the care and management of these useful animals our subject is admirably situated, having about 3.400 invested in his business, including convenient stables and vehicles. He is doing a thriving business, and his stables furnish excellent driving steeds. and handsome and luxurious road vehicles.
Mr. McKay was born on the 18th of April, 1860, in Atchison County, Mo., and is a son of Wallace McKay, of this county. He was reared on a farm, and received his education in the common schools of his native county, coming with his parents to Wymore in 1883. In 1884 he went to Sheridan County, Kan., returning to Barnston in 1886, and in March of the following year he engaged in his present business. On the 6th of May, 1888, he was united in marriage to Miss Lydia Stonehocker, a daughter of William Stonehocker, of this place.
EVI SHAFFER. The present sketch is designed to offer in brief compendium an outline of the life of the able Superintendent of Gage County Poor Farm. This gentleman is a native of Somerset County, Pa., and was born on the 16th of March, 1834. His parents, Andrew and Sarah (Cain) Shaffer, are also natives of Pennsylvania, but are of German parentage. The father of our subject was by trade a blacksmith, but later in life took up land, became a farmer, and still resides in Cambria County, Pa., superintending his farm. His wife, who is also in the enjoyment of good health, considering her age, has presented her husband with five children, who have been named as follows: Samuel, George and William (twins), Hannah, who is the wife of Edward Wright, and our subject.
Our subject is the oldest of the family, and received his education while in attendance upon the district school of his native county, but as the home of the family was situated in the backwoods, he became better acquainted with the forge and anvil than the school, and could "strike" a shoe for his father better than he could read and cipher for his teacher. At the age of eighteen our subject entered a factory where all manner of woodwork, such as fork and shovel handles, was manufactured, and served with one firm for a period of fourteen years, and received excellent wages for that time. When the first rolling-mill at Johnstown, Pa., was set up, our subject helped to saw the timber and lumber of which it was built.
In 1866 our subject migrated to Black Hawk County, Iowa, and took land and commenced to follow farming as a regular occupation. In 1876 he removed to Montgomery County; four years later there was formed in that county a colony of German Baptists or Dunkards, which became known as Maple Grove. Later the colonists removed to Norton County, Kan., and our subject united his fortune and prospects with theirs, and remained there three years, but his family being sick the greater part of the time, he came to Nebraska, and located first in Pawnee County, and later, in 1884, in Gage County, and rented land in Paddock Township, making his home there for three years. In March, 1887, he was appointed to the position he occupies at present, and took charge of the Poor Farm the following month.
The Poor Farm of Gage County, as may be surmised, is well situated; it is 160 acres in extent, contains some of the best land for agricultural and pastoral purposes, and is devoted chiefly to stock-raising and farming. There are upon an average two men engaged upon it. There are fifteen head of cattle, and also three horses, besides a large number of hogs raised yearly.
Our subject was married, in 1856, to Catherine J. Carell, who is a native of Bedford, Pa., and the daughter of George and Catherine Carell, natives of Pennsylvania, of Irish and German ancestry, respectively, and residing in Johnstown, Pa.; they are the parents of ten children; eight are now living, and residents of Pennsylvania. The father is seventy-eight years of age, and the mother seventy-nine. Mrs. Shaffer has presented her husband with
GAGE COUNTY 431
ten children, nine of whom are living. Their names are recorded as follows: Elizabeth., now the wife of Paul Strayer; Catharine M., now Mrs. William Miller; Francis A.; George; Ella, who is happily married to Walter Kelso; Amanda, the wife of George Beer; Adeline, Marietta and Charlie. Although our subject has been appointed to his present position, and is a member of the Republican party, he is by no means what is understood by the term politician. His interest in such matters confines itself more especially to the more local matters, he is greatly interested in his work, and has the satisfaction of knowing that his efforts are appreciated by those who placed him there. His religious interests are in the Dunkard Church, of which he is an Elder and active minister. The unobtrusive but manly character and bearing of our subject, coupled with his abilities as a farmer, have won for him the general respect of the community at large. Mrs. Shaffer is also a member of the same church as her husband.
ERMAN KRACKE, of Clatonia Township, is the proprietor of a valuable farm on section 31, where he has the finest residence in this part of the county. A man of intelligence and good business capacity, he holds a leading position in his community, where his thrift and enterprise have ever received a most cheerful acknowledgment. Like scores of the men about him, he is of German birth and parentage, belonging to the nationality which has labored so admirably in the development of the Great West.
Our subject was born in what is now the Prussian Province of Hanover, Germany, Aug. 28, 1851, and is the third son of Frederick and Sophia (Oltman) Kracke, who still continue upon their native soil. He was placed in school at an early age, where he continued until a lad of fourteen years, and when quite young assisted in the lighter duties of his father's farm. Nearly his whole life has been spent in the pursuit of agriculture. When a youth of twenty years, being ambitious to achieve something beyond what there seemed a probability of his accomplishing in his native land, he resolved upon emigrating to America. Accordingly in the spring of 1871 he took passage on an ocean steamer bound from Bremen to New York City, and after a voyage of twelve days landed in the latter metropolis. Thence he proceeded at once to Defiance County, Ohio, where he was employed on a farm six months. Leaving the Buckeye State he crossed the Mississippi into Dubuque County, Iowa, where he was employed on a farm two years. From Dubuque he went into Jackson County, of which he was a resident a number of years. In Jackson County he was married, Feb. 27, 1879, to Miss Lizzie Felderman, a native of the Hawkeye State, and the daughter of John and Rebecca Felderman, natives of Germany, and still residents of Dubuque County, Iowa.
Soon after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Kracke came to this county, and settled among the pioneers of Clatonia Township. Mr. K. first secured 160 acres of land, and has prospered in his labors as a tiller of the soil. Later he added to his real estate, and is now the owner of 210 acres, which yields abundantly the products of Southern Nebraska. His career from the first has been onward and upward, although he has had his difficulties to contend with, and from which few men are exempt. He gave his first best efforts to the cultivation of his land, and then began making the improvements which are now viewed with admiration by the traveler passing through this region. The handsome and substantial buildings, the neatly kept fences, the live stock and the farm machinery, are all most creditable to the industry and enterprise of the proprietor.
Mr. Kracke, politically, sympathizes with and supports the principles of the Republican party. He has served as School Director in his district, and is a member in good standing of the Lutheran Church. To him and his estimable wife there have been born five children, one of whom, John F., was born Aug. 17, 1881, and died on the 23d of that month. The survivors are: George, born March 1, 1880; Amelia, July 6, 1882; Rose, Dec. 13, 1884, and August, Oct. 8, 1886.
Mrs. Kracke was born in Dubuque County, Iowa, May 4, 1856. Her parents were among the earliest settlers of that section, and are still living, being well advanced in years. They are most excellent
432 GAGE COUNTY
and worthy people, consistent members of the Lutheran Church. Their family included eight children, six of whom are living, namely: John, Frederic, Mary, Lizzie, Rosa and Rebecca.
OBERT G. GILMORE, Postmaster of Barkey, and one of the earliest settlers of Gage County, owns and occupies one of the best farms in this section of country, to which he came in 1875. A native of Pennsylvania, he was born in Venango County, July 28, 1839, and is the son of William and Jane (Tede) Gilmore, who were also natives of the Keystone State, and the father of Irish ancestry. The mother, who traced her forefathers back to Germany, is still living in Venango County. The paternal grandfather of our subject emigrated from Ireland when young in years, and settled in Venango County, Pa., where he married and reared his family, and where with his excellent wife he spent the remainder of his days.
To the parents of our subject there were born eight children, five sons and three daughters, of whom the following survive: Robert G., of this sketch; Ira B., of Butler County. Pa.; Quinton B., of Mercer County, Pa.; Sarah J., the wife of J. H. Adams, of Venango County, Pa.; Agnes I., Mrs. P. McCracken, of Venango County, Pa.; William W.; and Anne, the wife of W. Whitman, who still abide in their native county in the Keystone State. William Gilmore departed this life at his home in Pennsylvania in February, 1861. The mother, although now over seventy years old, is still hale and hearty, enjoying the fruits of a well-spent life and the esteem of hosts of friends; she lives in Utica, Pa., near her former home.
Robert G. Gilmore was reared to man's estate in his native county, and at an early age was taught those habits of industry which have been the secret of his success later in life. He received the advantages of a common-school education, and being fond of his books improved his opportunities for reading and study, becoming well informed upon the general topics of the day. His life passed thus uneventfully until after the outbreak of the late Civil War, and in August 1861, he enlisted as a soldier in the Union Army, becoming a member of Company D, 83d Pennsylvania Infantry. His regiment was assigned to the Army of the Potomac, and Robert Gilmore participated in many of the important battles which followed, namely: the seige (sic) of Yorktown, the fight of Hanover Court House, and the seven-days fight before Richmond, the second engagement at Bull Run, and the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and Rappahiannock Station. Later he was at the battle of the Wilderness, and in the battle of Spottsylvania, in which he received serious wounds, and still carries a rifle ball in his left thigh. At Spottsylvania he was captured by the Confederates and conveyed to Libby Prison, where he remained three and one-half months, enduring the horrors and sufferings incident to the confinement in that terrible pen, and which is a matter of history. In due time he was paroled and exchanged, and three years from the time of his enlistment received his honorable discharge, Sept. 20, 1864.
Mr. Gilmore upon retiring from the service returned to his native county in Pennsylvania, where he engaged in farming until the spring of 1875. In the meantime he had been married, that important event transpiring on the 24th of September, 1867, the maiden of his choice being Miss Lucy M. Clough. born July 21, 1841, and daughter of Horace and Ann (Brown) Clough. Her parents were natives of New York and Pennsylvania respectively. Then with his family, which comprised his wife and two children, William B., born June 4, 1870, and Flora., Nov. 18, 1872, he determined to seek a home in the West. Accordingly, crossing the Mississippi he came to this county, and homesteaded eighty acres of land on section 28 in Highland Township. where he settled and has since remained. His land at the time of the purchase was in comparatively an uncultivated state, and the improvements which the passing traveler beholds to-day are the result of his own industry and perseverance. He lived economically, and from time to time added one improvement after another, and has now one of the most desirable homesteads in this section. His farm comprises 160 acres, which he has brought to an exceedingly fertile condition,
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller