GAGE COUNTY 593
if ever have less than 200 head of cattle and a similar number of hogs upon their ranch.
Oliver Cooper is the junior partner of the firm of Cooper Brothers, and is joint proprietor with his brother Garrett of the beautiful ranch and farm which includes the whole of section 31, of Nemaha Township. He was born near Rochelle, in Flag Township, Ogle Co., Ill., on the 9th of December, 1859. The long, fierce struggle between the North and the South, wherein the opposing forces had marched and countermarched from Baltimore to Little Rock, and from the Mississippi "to the sea," was just drawing to a close when our subject began to attend the school of the district in order to lay the foundation for the experiences of his life. By the time he had attained early manhood he was perfectly familiar with the work of farming and stock-raising, arid continued to give his attention to the same until the year 1885; then he formed a co-partnership with his brother Garrett, and with him purchased the west half of section 31, their father having purchased the whole section in the year 1872. The whole 640 acres are now well in hand, and used either for stock-raising or general grain farming. That part under cultivation has by constant attention been brought to a superexcellent condition, the whole farm being under splendid management, that makes it impossible that it should be otherwise than in the highest degree productive.
The dwelling-house erected by the brothers is a fine two-story frame, and was built in 1884; it is most pleasantly situated, and so arranged internally as to afford the largest amount of convenience and comfort, while the beautiful in decoration and furnishing has not been overlooked. In another part of the farm there are provided extensive cattle sheds, 26x180 feet in dimensions. There is also a very commodious horse barn, having provision for sixteen horses. These are supplemented by the granary, corn crib and other necessary buildings, of which we would only mention the former, as comprising a ground surface of 28x72 feet, and having a capacity of 8,080 bushels of grain. So extensive is the business of the firm that 200 tons of hay and 15,000 bushels of grain are required per annum for feeding the stock. One remarkable and noteworthy feature of the farm is the unusually complete system of water-works, which, under the powerful pumping of two very fine windmills, supplies by a system of piping, tanks and reservoirs the house, barn, sheds and every part where required with good, wholesome, fresh, pure water.
It is doubtful if in the State of Nebraska, or anywhere among those in a similar branch of business, there can be found more enterprising, intelligent and able managers and ranchmen than Garrett and Oliver Cooper. Their success is entirely their own, in spite of the fact that in the beginning it was within the power of their father to help them to a good start; but that would have been a more disastrous failure had they not possessed that which was needful to move forward from that commencement. They have already attained a very high position among the members of their particular calling and business, and it goes without saying that the future has still larger things in store.
Our subject thinks deeply and feels strongly in regard to political matters, and aims not so much to attain prominence as a partisan as to vote for men of principle and power; men who will hold the office given them as a sacred trust from the people, to be used only in their behalf and for their truest and highest interest. His brother Garrett entertains the same lofty ideas and occupies the same high ground; usually in the larger issues of national campaigns he votes with the Republican party.
LBERT M. T. MILLER. The farm of this gentleman, which is 160 acres in extent, is situated on section 23, Holt Township, where he settled in the year 1880. He was born near Hagerstown, Md., Nov. 22, 1847, and is the son of David and Catherine (Myley) Miller, who are also natives of Maryland. His paternal grandparents were natives of Virginia, and lived in Chambersburg, Pa. They had two sons, the father of our subject, who resides near Hagerstown, Md., and his brother, who resides in Chambersburg, Pa. His maternal grandparents were natives of Lancaster County, Pa.
The parents of our subject were married and set-
594 GAGE COUNTY
tled in Clear Spring, Md., a small town of about 1,500 inhabitants, which was founded by the Rev. Martin Myers, the great-grandfather of our subject, and from which Mr. Miller receives in accordance with the laws of Maryland a ground rent, which, however, now only amounts to sixty-two cents per annum. The people desired to have the town named after its founder, but in deference to his wishes it was called Clear Spring. In this town the father of our subject continued the labors of the Rev. Mr. Myers as clergyman in the Baptist communion, but at the same time he devoted some attention to sowing and reaping upon his farm, of a different nature, but with equal success as that sown in his pulpit. The mother of our subject died in 1858 leaving seven children, our subject being the eldest.
The family of which our subject was a member comprised besides the latter, five sons and one daughter, who were named as follows: David Lewis, now a resident of Sterling, Ill., and occupied as special agent for the Phoenix Insurance Company; Abraham M., who is farming in Davenport, Neb.; Joseph T., who died at the age of twenty-six years; Mary E., who is now attending the Baptist Training School at Chicago, Ill.; John M.,. who has an extensive livery stable in Cedar Rapids, Iowa; and Daniel Newton, who died at the age of two years. Mr. Miller, Sr., contracted a second matrimonial alliance in 1867, the lady being Miss Catherine Kurtz, of Franklin County, Pa. After this marriage they removed to Ogle County, Ill., and settled near Polo, where Mr. Miller died in 1871, leaving his widow and five children by his second marriage.
Our subject was reared upon the farm, and was given by his parents a good, thorough business education. and while yet in his teens began to utilize it somewhat by buying wool in connection with his farm work, and continued so to do for several years. In 1867 his parents removed to Illinois, he of course accompanying them. Jan. 6, 1870, he was united in marriage with Mary C. Price, a daughter of Daniel G. and Catherine (Weller) Price, natives of Pennsylvania and Maryland respectively. Their daughter Mary was born in Ogle County, Ill., on the 28th of September, 1845.
After his marriage our subject rented land four miles from Polo, and went to work as a general farmer and stock-raiser, to which was added subsequently the business of butcher. In 1875 he removed to Marshall County, Iowa, and there continued, ever increasingly prosperous, until June, 1880, when he removed to this State. The journey was lengthened in point of time by the fact that he brought with him a herd of twenty cattle, driving them the entire distance. In the fall of the year of his removal he purchased his present property, then in a raw state, and black from a quite recent fire that had swept the whole district. It was a most uninviting spot to settle upon, but within an incredibly short space of time it was rendered entirely unrecognizable, thanks to the efforts and labor of our subject. The first house he erected was only a claim shanty, but it had to suffice under the circumstances, and in it they passed a winter of health and enjoyment in spite of some inconveniences and hardships incidental to that season. Since that time his present comfortable and commodious home has been built, and although warmer and better in every regard than its predecessor, it is to be doubted if it can ever contain a brighter or happier family than that which gathered during that first winter. His farming operations are upon the line of general agriculture, and extend beyond the limits of the home farm, taking in the cultivation of 480 acres of leased land.
The family of Mr. and Mrs. Miller includes six children, whose names are herein given: Myley Price, Mary Grace, Stephen Daniel Gehr, Martha Albertie, Sudie Blanche and Winogene. Mr. Miller has served as a member of the School Board, and was repeatedly solicited to extend the term of his office, but his time was so fully occupied as to prevent his giving such attention as he deemed necessary, and he declined further service. His political sympathies are such as lead him to affiliate with the Republican party, but at the same time he is very firm upon the question of Prohibition, and takes exception to the platform of his party upon that subject. There is that in the home of Mr. Miller that makes it peculiarly pleasant to all who come within the range of its influence; it is an influence realized and felt, rather than describable, and arises from the ever-consistent devotion
GAGE COUNTY 595
of our subject and his family to the teachings and example of the religion that has flooded the world in this era. and is the mainspring of our present civilization. Mr. Miller and family are members of the Baptist Church, and are most devoted to the principles of that communion.
H. SMITH, a well-known citizen of Beatrice, has in earlier years had his full share 2 of labor and work, and now with his family is enjoying to the fullest possible extent the reward thereof. It is to be doubted if any other citizens can be found more respected and esteemed, possessing a larger circle of friends, more truly appreciated by society generally. Mr. Smith was born in Middletown, Conn., April 22, 1830. He is the son of John B. and Fannie (Pardee) Smith. His father was born in Middletown and his mother in Southington, Conn. The family is of English descent upon the paternal side, upon the maternal it is French. The grandfather of Mrs. Fannie Smith was in the Revolutionary War with LaFayette, whom he accompanied from France. The father of our subject was an Englishman and farmer, and amassed considerable wealth prior to his death in 1870, which occurred when he was eighty years of age. His wife only survived him two years, and was seventy-two years of age at the time of her demise. Their family circle numbered twelve children, our subject being the seventh born.
Our subject was one who greatly enjoyed the time of his school life. He first attended the common school of his native place, and later was graduated from the High School. After his graduation he spent three years at an apprenticeship learning the trade of a stonemason, earning in that time but $90. During these three years he worked upon many buildings, both public and private, in Hartford, New Britain and Middletown.
The happiness and prosperity of our subject's life have been greatly increased and assured by his marriage with Jane Elizabeth Crossley, the accomplished daughter of David and Maria (Chamberlain) Crossley, natives respectively of England and Connecticut. The wife of our subject was one of ten children born to them, and is their sixth child. Her father was a carpet weaver, and had begun at a very early age in the world-renowned carpet mills of his native country, progressing from stage to stage until he was employed upon the finest work produced. Upon coming to America he continued to follow his trade, and that with abundant success. Both he and his wife had passed the allotted term of threescore years and ten before the tale of life was told, and they lay down to their last rest.
Mrs. Smith was born on the 7th of April, 1830, in the city of Middletown, and has been used to city life from that time. Like her husband she was educated in the common and High Schools of Middletown, and left the latter institution with a well-stored mind, and an ability developed by training to utilize the knowledge accumulated during her school days. She has become the mother of two children, whom it has been her joy to see grow up and manifest characteristics most commendable, and such as assure a brightness and completeness of life in every way most to be desired. Her daughter, Nellie R., is now the wife of J. L. Burgess, of Beatrice (for further remarks see sketch of this gentleman). Her son, John B., is assistant cashier in the German Bank of the same city.
Our subject continued to work at his trade for about one year after his marriage; for about twelve months after that he was engaged in business as a grocer; he then purchased a farm, and for two and one-half years continued to operate it with his usual good fortune. At the end of that period he sold this property, and going to Louisiana, became a sutler in the army, Returning to Connecticut in 1864, he engaged in furnishing substitutes for the army. The following year he went to Canada, and purchased a large number of horses, which he sold at fair but remunerative prices in his native State, and was so encouraged by his success that he continued in that business for about twenty years. He is a splendid judge of horses, and has accumulated a comfortable competency. The date of his settlement in Beatrice was April, 1885. Mr. Smith has invested considerably in real estate, and has built several tenement houses.
The home of our subject is one of the best in the city, whether in point of architecture or internal
596 GAGE COUNTY
decoration; from its entrance hall through every room and corridor are indications of affluence in the richness of its furnishings, but they are also indicative of truest refinement, art and estheticism. Both Mr. and Mrs. Smith are very favorably known as host and hostess, the most difficult, perhaps, of all social positions; to them, however, it is no task, their genial, pleasant and easy manners, their cordiality, their large resources and experiences, rendering it easy for them to make the visitor and guest thoroughly at home.
Mrs. Smith is one of the prominent members and able supporters of the Baptist Church, where also our subject attends. Mr. Smith is a Republican. He is a member of the society of the Knights of Honor, and he and his wife are both members of the Chosen Friends. Mr. Smith is the owner of some fine thoroughbred Jersey cattle, which be brought with him from Connecticut, which are, perhaps, the best in this county. His residence is located on LaSalle street.
RANK A. ROSEMAN is one of the enterprising and exemplary young farmers of Gage County, residing on section 17, Glenwood Township. His father, Godfried Roseman, was a native of Germany, and was married to Rosollia Seiberlichs, also a native of the same country. In the year 1868 they came to America, and at first settled in Wisconsin, but afterward removed to Iowa. The mother came with her children from Poweshiek County, Iowa, to this county in 1880. She owns a farm of 160 acres in Glenwood Township, on which she has made substantial improvements, having erected a good house and farm buildings. She is the mother of nine living children, all of whom were born in her native country before she came to America, and their names are Otto, Paul, Minnie, Ernest, Ida, Gustave, Mary, Frank A. and Tony.
Our subject was born on the 28th of September, 1864, in Germany, and was about four years old when his parents came to this country, consequently he remembers but little, if any, of the incidents connected with the journey. In 1880 he came with his mother to this county, and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits, taking the charge of his mother's farm. He is an active, industrious, go-ahead young man, possessing considerable ability, and he has a very fair start for a successful career.
On the 25th of September, 1887, Mr. F. A. Roseman was united in marriage with Miss Lizzie Nienaber, at that time a resident of Washington County, Kan. She is a daughter of William and Anna (Laverentz) Nienaber, who were natives of Germany. Our subject and his wife are the parents of one child, William G., who was born July 13, 1888. They and their mother, with whom they make their home, are members of the Lutheran Church, and are esteemed as honorable and conscientious Christians.
Our subject is a member of the Republican party in politics, and in his short career he has already won distinction as an able advocate of the measures tending to the improvement of his section, and the elevation of its society. Thus far he has not sought any public office, believing that to be the right of the older members of the community, and devoting his attention closely to the occupation in which he is engaged.
OODWARD R. YOHE. The Great West is in the hands of the young men. What it is they largely have made it; what it will be is the problem upon which they are working. Among the most high-principled, intellectual and go-ahead of Gage County's farmers, few surpass the subject of this writing, who is possessed of the same noble traits as those with which his father was endowed, and which are also possessed by his brother John. His farm comprises 240 acres on section 27, Hooker Township, and which is operated both for cattle-raising and grain-growing.
Mr. Yohe is the son of Henry and Mary (Dick) Yohe. (For a more complete history of this interesting family we would refer the reader to the
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller