GAGE COUNTY 599
sketch of the life of John Yohe.) They were the parents of three children, who grew to years of maturity: Barbara; John; and our subject, Woodward H., who was born Oct. 18, 1854, at Reynoldsville, Pa., and was only about six or seven years of age when his father died. After this affliction our subject remained with his mother until he was about fifteen years of age, and then began to work out. With what little experience he had been enabled to gather in these years at home, coupled with his own bright, active disposition and ruddy health, he was quickly enabled to take a full day's work and perform it as well as many older and more experienced hands. This life he continued for about six years.
In 1868 our subject came to Nebraska, accompanied by his step-father, reaching this township in the beginning of the fall, but shortly after bought his time from his step-father, and went back to Iowa to his brother John. They made such arrangements as made them joint owners of 120 acres of land in Mills County of that State, and continued to operate the same with a constantly accruing success for about six years; they then traded that land for 320 acres in Nebraska, their present home. This removal was made in 1881, and they continued to work their farm together until our subject was married. By that time the brothers were owners of 480 acres, and upon dividing it, the portion referred to above became that of our subject; upon it he has seldom less than 150 head of steers and 120 head of hogs per annum. The brothers continue to work together one-half of section 34.
Mr. Yohe became the husband of Miss Nettie A. Metcalf, at Baxter Springs, Kan., on the 14th of February, 1884. This lady is the daughter of Thomas and Amanda Metcalf. She was born in Mills County, Iowa, Feb. 13, 1866. She made her home with her parents the greater part of the time until her marriage, removing with them, at the age of sixteen, to Kansas, residing in Johnson County for about two years. Their acquaintance was formed in Nebraska. To our subject and wife was born a daughter, Sept. 4, 1888, who is named Winnie H.
Mr. Yohe is at present Treasurer of the school district; he has also served as Constable for two years. He was re-elected but declined to serve. Since the casting of his first vote he has been a constant friend and adherent of the Republican party, and gives his influence and vote in its behalf.
Among the numerous views presented in this volume of leading homesteads of Gage County may be found that belonging to Mr. Yohe, which is given in connection with this sketch.
ICHARD LEWIS, of Hanover Township, was one of the earliest settlers of this region, to which he came in the fall of 1870. He at once located upon 160 acres of land which he homesteaded in Hanover Township, and here he has since remained. His career as a man and a citizen has been creditable in the extreme, he being the possessor of those qualities which have secured him hosts of friends and made of him a valued and useful citizen.
Our subject, a native of South Wales, was born Nov. 8, 1844, and is the son of James and Ann (Owens) Lewis, who were also of Welsh birth and parentage, their home being in Radnorshire. The father was a farmer and stock-grower, and dealt largely in Hereford cattle. The mother passed away when her son Richard was a little child two years of age, and he was reared by a step-mother. James Lewis was subsequently married twice. Of his union with the mother of our subject there were born five children, and of the second and third three each. Richard was the youngest child of the first wife.
Young Lewis received a very good education, and at the age of fourteen was graduated from a graded school. He was a bright and ambitious lad, and at an early age determined to emigrate to America. Upon leaving school he accordingly, starting out alone, engaged passage on a sailing vessel at Liverpool, April 13, 1862, and after a voyage of five weeks arrived at Quebec, Canada, May 19, following. A feeling of home-sickness seized him when he realized the distance which separated him from the scenes of his childhood, but the necessity for exertion left him little time to sit down and brood over his troubles. He finally made his way to Toronto, joining a brother there, with whom he worked three years at farming. He
600 GAGE COUNTY
crossed over into the States Feb. 21, 1865, and making his way westward took up his abode in Kenosha County, Wis., where he was employed on a farm for a period of six years.
Our subject in the fall of 1871 left the Badger State and cast his lot among the people of Southern Nebraska. He employed himself diligently in the improvement and cultivation of the land which he secured, and four years later, May 22, 1875, was united in marriage with Miss Anna, daughter of Edward and Jane (James) George. The wedding took place at the home of the bride in Beatrice. The parents of Mrs. Lewis were also natives of the Principality of Wales, where they were reared and married, and whence in 1855 they emigrated to America with their six children. Like our subject they also proceeded westward to Wisconsin, settling in Green County. Leaving there in the fall of 1880, they came to this State and took up their abode in York County, where they still live on a farm. Mr. George has now arrived at the advanced age of seventy-eight years, while his excellent wife is sixty-seven. Of the fifteen children born to them, nine are yet living, and Mrs. Lewis was the third in order of birth.
The wife of our subject was also born in Wales, June 18, 1851. Her first recollections are of the ocean waves which rushed around the ship bringing her father's family to this country. She was reared and educated in the schools of Green County, Wis., and there made the acquaintance of our subject. She has stood bravely by his side in his toils and sacrifices, performing her duties faithfully as a pioneer wife and mother. Of this union there were born four children, one of whom, Viola, died at the age of thirteen months. Those surviving are Lizzie, Charles A. and Leslie. They are living at home.
The farm of Mr. Lewis by a process of careful cultivation yields in abundance the choicest crops of Southern Nebraska. Their home, although not elegant, is supplied with everything for their comfort and convenience, and Mr. and Mrs. Lewis are respected and beloved wherever they are known. Many are the kind acts which they have performed both to friend and stranger, and they are spoken of far and near as among the best and most kindhearted people of this region. The sound common sense of Mr. Lewis has secured for him the highest regard of all who know him. He votes the straight Republican ticket, and is now serving his sixth term as School Director in his district. He is frequently chosen as Clerk of Elections, and has filled the office of Assessor. Both he and his estimable wife are members in good standing of the Free-Will Baptist Church, at Grand View.
ILBER L. ROGERS. Among the old settlers of Blakely Township, who has helped forward the work of development, and who has also shown his devotion and patriotism under more trying and dangerous circumstances, is the subject of this biographical epitome. His homestead is well situated upon the banks of the Big Blue River on section 13, and being so well watered it gives an opportunity for crops, even in dry seasons, when those less favored in this regard are suffering greatly. The above river is a very valuable stream; for the greater part of the distance it runs over a bed of solid rock and between deep banks. At this point it is about 100 feet wide, and is of sufficient strength to give quite a mill current.
Our subject was born upon the 17th of October, 1835, in Wells Corners Township, Erie Co., Pa. He is the son of Henry and Mariah Rogers, natives of Connecticut and Vermont respectively. His early days were spent in attention upon the classes at the school-house, and as soon as he was strong enough in farm work. His family have been engaged in agricultural pursuits for several generations back, but have never been so engrossed that they could not answer the call to duty in defense of their country. Henry Rogers, the father of our subject, had a grandfather and two uncles in the Revolutionary War, and in the wars of later date this family has always had its representative.
In Genesee County, N. Y., in 1824, Mr. Henry Rogers became the husband of Miss Maria Freeman, a native of Vermont, and of an Eastern family. He was at that time but twenty-one years of age. He continued to follow his trade, that of a carpenter, with considerable success, until in 1840 he re-
GAGE COUNTY 601
moved to Iowa, then still a Territory, and made his home in Johnson County, which had just been organized. There he took land and began to farm, working, however, at his trade in connection therewith. In 1868, with his wife, he came on a visit to Nebraska, and while here his wife was removed by death. A few years afterward he removed with his children to this State and took land, continuing farming operations until his death, which took place Jan. 31, 1887; he was a good, intelligent, warm-hearted man, and greatly respected. At the time of his death he had reached the advanced age of eighty-four years. but had retained the use of all his powers until almost the last.
Our subject is the youngest son of a family of seven children, six of whom lived to maturity, four of them being residents of Nebraska, the other two in Kansas and Iowa respectively. Our subject was just about six years of age when his parents removed to Ohio, and subsequently to Indiana and Illinois, and finally to Johnson County, Iowa. In these latter States he received his education, and was reared to manhood in Johnson County. As a farmer he became quite an expert in the days of his early manhood, having been brought up amid its scenes from his earliest recollection, and seemed naturally to drift into that calling. Subsequent years have proved him not only thoroughly furnished with knowledge, but power to make his chosen calling a success.
Somewhat late in life Mr. Rogers enlisted for a term of three months in the 1st Iowa Infantry, under the command of Col. Bates. He went with his regiment to Wilson's Creek, Mo., where Gen. Lyons, who was then expecting to leave the Iowa troops, was killed, and also a number of other officers. At the expiration of its term of service the entire regiment was honorably discharged, and our subject re-enlisted, in Company K of the 13th Regiment, under the command of Col. (afterward Major General) Crocker; the Captain of the company was Sydney E. Woodford. The first engagement of note was that at Shiloh, which kept them active for two days. Later the regiment marched to Corinth, and engaged in the battle at that place. This was followed by the Holly Springs expedition, Vicksburg, and a number of lesser engagements, in all of which the behavior and valor of the company called for special mention, and led to the veteranizing of it as a whole, which occurred in December, 1863. Our subject continued to fight the battles of his country until the close of the war; then he received his third and last discharge on the 2d of July, 1865. He was once home upon a furlough, and that at the time of the veteranization. Upon his return he was one of Gen. Sherman's command, and took part in the campaign of that intrepid General. He was taken prisoner on the 22d of July, 1864, and, for two months languished in Andersonville Prison, then was sent to Florence for a similar period, when he was paroled and sent home, and was shortly after discharged as above.
Upon returning home from the war our subject settled down to the work of the farm, and was married to Anna E., daughter of Samuel E. and Bethia (Yeoman) Wilson, who was born in Washington County, Iowa, June 28, 1844. Her mother had died in the same county, in the year 1852, in her thirtieth year. Her father is still living, and a farmer in Saline County, Neb. He was married a second time, in the year 1854, to Miss Sarah Dawson. Mrs. Rogers of this sketch is the eldest daughter of her family, which included two sons and four daughters. She was reared in Iowa and educated in the usual institution; she came to this State with John Carpenter while a young woman, and has since resided in it the greater part of the time. She has given birth to five children, two deceased--Benona and Edith; the former died when eight years of age, the latter in infancy. The three living children are May E. and Samuel H., who are at present teaching in the public school, and Leon E., who is at home and assists in operating the farm.
Our subject has been Assessor of the township for several years, and is at present a member of the School Board. This office also he has held for several years. In religious matters he is independent, in political is a supporter and stanch adherent of the Greenback party. In the interests of the progress of manufacturing in the county Mr. Rogers gave to Robison & Howard five acres of land, including a mill site and dam on the Big Blue River; also a site for a mill residence, making in
602 GAGE COUNTY
all a very valuable and munificent gift. This is mentioned simply to indicate the spirit, disposition and character of the man, who has always been most highly respected by the community.
HILLIP J. ZIMMERMAN. Among the successful settlers and valued citizens of Lincoln Township must certainly be mentioned the name of the gentleman whose biography is herein sketched, whose farm is located upon section 17, and presents every appearance of thorough, practical, scientific cultivation, thrift and economy, using those words in their best sense. The farm is 560 acres in extent, and has been brought by our subject to its present state of efficiency by continued care and intelligent, well-directed, industrious effort. In 1879 he entered his first land, taking up 480 acres, then raw prairie land. The following year he located upon it, and from that time its transformation began and has since continued, until to-day his farm and home compare most favorably with any in the township.
Previous to his coming to this county our subject resided in Sheboygan County, Wis. There he had lived for twenty years, all the time engaged working at his trade, that of a carpenter. During that period he became the owner of forty acres of land, which he worked successfully. While a resident in the Badger State the clarion notes of war attracted the attention of our subject, and his loyalty to the Union led him to enlist in the service, which he did upon the 20th of August, 1862. He became a member of Company H, 26th Wisconsin Infantry, under command of Capt. Hans Paple and Col. Jacobs, of the Army of the Cumberland. Upon reaching the front the regiment went into the engagement at Chancellorsville, after participating in a number of minor engagements and skirmishes; there our subject, in company with a large part of his regiment, was taken prisoner on the 3d of May, 1863, and sent to Castle Thunder. They remained as prisoners of war for three weeks, then were paroled, and were then sent to the Union lines and exchanged in September.
In October of 1863 Mr. Zimmerman rejoined his regiment at Bridgeport, Ala., and participated in all the major battles of the campaign until the close of the war, and also took part in the famous "march to the sea." In 1865, he was, with his regiment, veteranized at the close of the war, at Washington, D. C. The total number of months included in our subject's military experience from his enlistment to his discharge was thirty-four. During that time he was a combatant in twenty of the major engagements, besides an innumerable multitude of smaller battles and lesser fights. With the exception of the mishap of being taken prisoner and one small flesh wound, he escaped unhurt, and was honorably discharged at Washington, on the 13th of June, 1865.
After leaving the ranks our subject returned to Wisconsin, and upon the 15th of December, 1868, was united in marriage with Magdalene Kleinehans. This lady is a native of Germany, and the daughter of John and Elizabeth Kleinehans, who were married in Germany, and settled in Sheboygan County, Wis. Mrs. Zimmerman has presented her husband with eight children, all of whom are living, and have developed bright, vivacious, inquiring dispositions, and daily afford fresh proofs of promising intelligence. Their names are as here recorded: Frank, Jacob, Magdalene, Anna, Clara, Joseph, George and Mary.
Mr. Zimmerman is a native of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, where he was born on the 31st of October, 1843. The names of the parents of our subject were Jacob and Anna (Schmidt) Zimmerman. His father was by occupation a carpenter, and followed the same all his life. The father and husband died in his native country in the year 1851. The mother of our subject after the death of her husband removed with her three sons and came to the United States, settling in Wisconsin, where two other sons had settled in the year 1857. There she continued to live until her death, in 1879, at the age of seventy-three years. Both herself and husband were members of the German Catholic Church, of which communion our subject and wife are also adherents.
The reputation of Mr. and Mrs. Zimmerman throughout the county is unquestionable, and they are the recipients of the entire respect of the com-
GAGE COUNTY 605
munity. Our subject is one who has taken great interest in building up the township and county, and made considerable effort in locating the station of Ellis on the Chicago, Kansas & Nebraska Railroad. In his political relations our subject is a Republican, and holds the office of Treasurer of the township, as he has also held that of Clerk. Among the people of his nationality in the county Mr. Zimmerman is perhaps the most prosperous, and he is certainly held in high regard and looked upon as one of the most valued citizens.
ILLIAM PLUCKNETT. One of the most extensive land-owners and prominent citizens of Grant Township, and at the same time one of its earliest settlers, is the gentleman whose biography is herein sketched, and whose portrait is given on the opposite page. He is the owner of 1,500 acres of some of the best land in the county, situated for the greater part in Grant Township, and upon either side of the Big Blue River, a stream, at this place, of considerable importance. His residence is on that part of his property that is on section 33 of Grant Township, and is most pleasantly situated on the banks of the river, and amid surroundings natural and acquired that make it a most desirable position.
For the greater part of the time since his settlement our subject has lent his energies to farming, but for several years past has given considerable attention to stock-raising, and is the owner of quite a number of very fine and choice amimals. At present he raises and feeds about 200 head of cattle, and the other classes of stock in proportion. There are few if any who have been more successful in this calling than he, and few are more particular, not simply in regard to the quality and breed of the animals, but also everything regarding their daily attention and care. Mr. Plucknett has been a resident of this State since 1861, at that time the Indians still roamed where their own sweet will dictated throughout this portion of the country, and it was not unusual for depredations to be committed, and occasionally a scalp taken without the owner's consent. Despite these somewhat discouraging features of life in this district, our subject took up his land and went to work with all the enthusiasm, pluck, and disdain of danger that characterize his countrymen.
Although rather enjoying the circumstances of his environment, which had sufficient of the spice of danger to give them a smack of pleasantness, our subject would not endanger his family; he sent them back to the older settlements, and remained himself upon the farm to take his chances. His faith in the future of the country was unbounded, and he saw the time was not far distant when the whole valley would be peopled by a happy and prosperous community. That "Truth is stranger than fiction" we are somewhat inclined to doubt, in view of some more modern novel productions, and yet there are phases in the experience of Mr. Plucknett that would warrant the emphatic reiteration of the above platitude.
It is well-nigh impossible to find any more public-spirited and loyal citizen than our subject, or one more self-denying in his activities, and the cause must be sought for in the fact that he recognizes that he came to the country a comparatively poor man, one whose own country offered little, or no prospect of advancement to either himself or family, and that this condition has been fully met by his adopted country, and that she is therefore worthy of any and every effort that it is in his power to make in return, seeing the success that has come to him and his is far more than they in their most sanguine moments had hoped.
Reference has been made above to the coming of our subject to the United States. He and his family are of pure English descent, and he was born on the 13th of March, 1827, in Somersetshire, England, and in the same county the family history can be traced for several generations. They appear to have been an agricultural people, of strictest honor, integrity and loyalty, of unimpeachable uprightness and spotless reputation. The father of our subject, who bore the given name of William, was united in marriage with Elizabeth Brown, of the same county, who, like her husband, had been brought up in the faith of the Church of England. Mr. Plucknett died in 1861, aged fifty-three years. His wife, the mother of our subject, survived her
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller