606 GAGE COUNTY
husband until Christmas Day of 1884, at which time she was seventy-seven years of age. During the August previous she had been greatly rejoiced by a visit from her son, the subject of this writing, from whom she had been separated for twenty-eight years; and during the rapidly speeding days of that visit she seemed to take a renewed interest and pleasure in life, as, with him, she rejoiced in his life's success and welfare. This is to our subject, also, a bright memory, that after so long a separation it should have been his happiness to spend those days in the old home, so soon to be broken.
Our subject is the eldest of seven children, four of them being sons. He received the best education obtainable in the parish school at his home, and remained a resident of his native shire until he was twenty-six years old, when he came to this country and located in Ohio, where he was a resident in Ashtabula County for four years, and then returned to England. During his visit he induced quite a number of his old neighbors and country-people to emigrate to this country, and as instructed by our subject they went to Illinois and located in Hancock County, where he also made his home. Later several of the families removed to this State, and added their names to the honorable roll of its pioneer settlers.
While in Hancock County Mr. William Plucknett was united in marriage with Miss Caroline Hawlett, a native of Yarmouth, the renowned shipping point and headquarters of the North Sea fishing fleet of England. In that city she was born in the year 1837, and came to the United States with her parents, Samuel and Charlotte Hawlett, in the year 1854, who, after living some time in Hancock County, removed to Iowa, where both her parent died in Audubon County, well advanced in years having passed the allotted threescore years and ten. In common with almost all the English colonists of that party, they had been brought up according to the religious tenets of the State Church (Episcopal). Mrs. Plucknett presented her husband with eight children, two of whom are now deceased viz: James, who died in infancy, and Herbert al the age of thirteen years. The surviving member of the family are as follows: John W., George A., Robert, Jane E., Emily and Mary. The eldest son, who is an extensive and enterprising farmer in Cheyenne County, Kan., is the husband of Sarah Reed, of Iowa; their second son is one of Grant Township's valued citizens and enterprising farmers, and is united in marriage with Olliva Benjamin; Robert is at home; the eldest daughter is happily married to John Hawse, the owner of a good farm in Saline County; her sister Emily is now Mrs. Crosier Rogers, of DeWitt, and her husband is a relative of the well-known business man of that name in the same town; Mary, the youngest, continues to make her home with her parents.
After marriage our subject rented land in Hancock County, Ill., and after a period of about two and one-half years he removed to Iowa, where he made his home in Shelby County; then, in pursuance of plans made several years before, he came to this State and built up a home in the midst of the prairie. From that time until the present he has continued with unflagging, zealous enterprise to push forward every undertaking that meant advancement for his adopted State, and has been abundantly rewarded by the unprecedented progress made.
From his earliest connections with this country as a citizen, and his study of its political economy, Mr. Plucknett has continued a firm Republican, and considers all efforts in behalf of that party opportunity well utilized. The foregoing compendium entirely precludes the necessity of any merely complimentary eulogy. His history reveals character mental power and manliness, with all those qualities and attributes that are incidental component parts of the higher types of manhood.
OHN ORTMAN. One of the most pleasant homes and admirably conducted farms in Midland Township is that of Mr. Ortman which is situated on section 16. His residence in the township dates from 1882. He is a native of Lancaster County, Pa., where he was born on the 15th of October, 1842, to Joseph and Martha Ortman, likewise natives of that State In the year 1850 a dark shadow overhung that Pennsylvanian home; the all-powerful Conqueror
GAGE COUNTY 607
crossed the threshold, and removed the husband and father. The mother, recovering from the first shock of her affliction, began to live more than ever for her children, and employed her best powers in making a home for them, and sending them forth into the world fully equipped for whatever might befall. She, however, had to face the additional sorrow of the death of two of her children within a few days of that of her husband, the cause being typhoid fever. This left her two children, whom it has been her happiness to see occupying honorable positions in life, respected by their neighbors and friends. These are our subject and his brother Levi, who is living in Lancaster County, Pa., where also Mrs. Ortman makes her home.
The early life of our subject was fully occupied with farm and school duties; he has been engaged in the innumerable details and various parts of the farming industry from his childhood up, and is, therefore, quite proficient and practical. It will have been noticed in the foregoing paragraph that our subject was but eight years of age when his father died. When fourteen years old, in company with an old neighbor, he went to Carroll County, Ill., to work by the month on a farm. When about nineteen years of age, in the year 1861, he enlisted in Company I, 34th Illinois Infantry, and went to the front. Two years later, when the first pioneer regiment was organized, our subject was chosen as a member, transferred to the same, and served during the remainder of his term for three years. This period having expired, he re-enlisted, and shortly after a regiment known as the 1st United States Veteran Volunteer Engineers was formed, our subject chosen as a member thereof, and in it served throughout the remainder of the war. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Resaca, Buzzard's Roost, Kenesaw Mountain, Corinth, and many minor engagements. The war being over, he received an honorable discharge at Nashville, Tenn., and returned to Carroll County, Ill.
Upon the 30th of August, 1870, Mr. Ortman was united in marriage, in Whiteside County, with Miss Elizabeth Potter, a daughter of Jacob and Julia Ann Potter. Miss Potter was born in Carroll County, Ill., March 28, 1847, and was brought up and educated in her native place, making her home with her parents until her marriage. Her marriage has been blessed and the current of its joy widened and deepened by the birth of three children, who have received the following names: Willie Benton, Fred L. and Edith E.
Upon his marriage our subject removed to Red Oak, Iowa, where he purchased a farm and made his home for about ten years, increasing from year to year in wealth of storehouse and barn. In 1880 he sold that property and removed to this State and township. Here he took up eighty acres of land and went to work to make a farm; he has devoted much care and attention to its cultivation, and much thought and labor upon the erection and beautifying of his home. His farm is provided with all the usual and necessary out-buildings, which have been erected with a view to accommodation, convenience and practical utility, rather than adornment; but even this has not been entirely overlooked.
The political sympathies and sentiments of our subject are such as lead him to the ranks of the Republican party, and he is a strong advocate and a stanch friend of the same. His quiet, manly independence and industry, high character, his intelligent and energetic enterprise upon his farm, and his honor in matters of business, receive their recognition from his fellow-citizens, who accord to our subject and family hearty esteem.
R. ALEXANDER C. SABIN, physician and surgeon at Beatrice, is a native of Knox County, Ohio, and was born near the town of Bladenshurg. When a lad of thirteen years, his parents removed to Bloomington, Ill. His father, Dr. Daniel Sabin, was a native of Virginia, and his paternal grandfather was born in New England. The mother in her girlhood was Miss Rhoda Williams, a native of Greene County, Pa., and the daughter of Abraham Williams.
The subject of this sketch continued to live with his parents in Bloomington, Ill., where his father pursued the practice of medicine a short time. In 1882 he, with his family, came to Nebraska, locating in Beatrice, where both parents passed away, the father in 1887. The household circle consisted
608 GAGE COUNTY
of eleven children, seven sons and four daughters, of whom there are now living six sons and two daughters. Of these our subject is the eldest son and third child. His father being the owner of a farm, his boyhood and youth were passed amid the quiet scenes of rural life, and he pursued his early studies in the district school. Later he became a student of Eureka College, in Woodford County, Ill., where he spent three years.
Soon after leaving college our subject entered upon the study of medicine under the instruction of his father, and began practicing that same year, 1862. He, however, became also interested in farming and stock-raising, to which he also gave considerable time and attention until 1873, then, disposing of these interests, resolved to give his best efforts to his profession. He located in Bloomington, Ill., at which place, however, he remained only one year, thence removing to Farmer City, where he sojourned three years. He attended lectures later at Bennett Medical College in Chicago, from which he was graduated in the spring of 1882. Previously to this, however, he had decided upon a location in Burlington, Iowa, and later took up his residence there. In June, 1883, he came to Beatrice, and in the course of time built up a business extending not only throughout this county, but the whole State.
Dr. Sabin, not being able to dismiss his interest in live stock, perfected his arrangements for embarking extensively in the breeding of fine horses, and now has some of the choicest trotting stock in the West. One of the colts in which he takes most pride is “Sabin Counselor," a year old, which won the first money from the State Breeders' Association, which held its exhibition at Lincoln, Aug. 16, 1888, the purse being $275. This animal made the remarkable time of 3:10 after one month's training, making three seconds over any previous record upon the grounds, and the Doctor was offered $5,000 for him, which he refused. He has twelve head of as fine animals as are to be seen in Southern Nebraska, and in his care and keeping of them exhibits a peculiar adaptability to the business. For this purpose he invested a portion of his capital in 510 acres of land, upon which he has erected the buildings necessary for his convenience and the proper care of his stock. He put up a handsome and substantial residence two stories in height, and of modern style of architecture, comprising all the latest conveniences and finished in the finest style of the builder's art. This is located at the corner of Eighth and Lincoln streets. An extensive lawn assists in completing the beauty of a most attractive home.
The wife of our subject, to whom he was married Nov. 15, 1862, was in her girlhood Miss Elma Garretson, of McLean County, Ill. Mrs. Sabin is the daughter of Talbott Garretson, and came to this county with her parents when a little girl. Of her union with our subject there have been born nine children, seven of whom are living, namely: D. T., Olive Belle, Robert Grant, Rhoda May, Hudson Burr, Alex C., Jr., and Daisy Cornelia.
ON. GEORGE B. EVERITT, attorney-at-law, and a leading member of the bar in Beatrice, is of Southern birth, and was born in Goldsboro, N. C., Nov. 10, 1850. The eldest son and second child of a family of ten children, he has now only one brother and one sister living. His parents, David B. and Sarah (Carney) Everitt, were also natives of North Carolina, and both were of Scotch and English ancestry. The father was a planter by occupation, and rested from his earthly labors in January, 1885. The mother is still living. The maternal grandfather of our subject was James Carney, Esq., who was a native of Virginia, and spent his last years in Goldsboro, N. C.
The subject of this sketch remained in North Carolina on his father's plantation until a youth of eighteen years, his studies having been conducted in the Everittville schools. He now entered Trinity College, from which he was graduated with honors in the class of '73. Young Everitt commenced the study of law under the instruction of Chief Justice Smith, of Raleigh, N. C., who still holds his exalted position upon the bench. He was admitted to the bar in January, 1874, and commenced the practice of his profession in Concord, N. C. In the spring of 1877 he removed to Winston, and in the
GAGE COUNTY 609
fall of 1878 was elected to the State Senate of North Carolina for the counties of Forsythe and Stokes. In the campaign of 1880 he was the candidate of the Republican party for elector of the State at large. In June, 1881, he was appointed Collector of Internal Revenue for the Fifth District of North Carolina, and in June, 1883, under the administration of President Arthur, was appointed Register of the land-office at Mitchell, Dak. This position he held until March, 1888.
In June following Mr. Everitt came to Beatrice and resumed the regular practice of his profession. Although his residence here has been comparatively brief he has fully established himself in the esteem and confidence of the community. He was married, in December, 1875, to Miss Mary Graves, a native of his own State, and the daughter of Dr. Calvin and Caroline M. (Foust) Graves, also natives of North Carolina, and at that time residents of Trinity. Of this union there were born two children--Malcom G. and Mary M. Mrs. Everitt died in November, 1882. The present wife of our subject, to whom he was married in July, 1884, was formerly Miss Martha Davis, of Philadelphia, Pa. She is the daughter of Allen and Helen (Smyth) Davis, of Beaufort, N. C., and of this marriage of our subject there have also been born two children--George B., Jr., and Anne S. Mr. Everitt is a stanch Republican, and a man of broad and comprehensive views on the great questions of American nationality. He is a pleasing, graceful and eloquent speaker, and a lawyer of fine ability.
RANK MOSELEY. The wonderfully rapid development of Gage County could only have been brought about by men of great force of character, much ability, and sturdy powers of endurance. The gentleman whose name stands at the head of this brief biographical sketch is a fine representative of such men, who came to this part of Nebraska a few years ago and settled in Paddock Township, although he is not one of the earliest comers. Since taking up his residence here in 1883, locating on the wild, unbroken prairie land, comprising 240 acres (160 on section 21 and eighty on section 28, Paddock Township) of which he then became the owner, he has developed it into one of the most desirable farms in this vicinity. All of his landed property that is not devoted to pasturage is under a high state of cultivation, and well repays by abundant harvests the care and time that he has bestowed upon it. He has erected comfortable buildings, and everything about the place denotes that he is a practical, methodical man. He has paid much attention to raising cattle and hogs, and his farm is now well supplied with stock of good grades.
Mr. Moseley was born in Lee County, Ill., Oct. 1, 1852, a son of Joseph and Margaret (Moore) Moseley, natives of England and Pennsylvania. Mr. Moseley, father of our subject, closed a long and useful life in Illinois, June 22, 1886. He was a man of unimpeachable integrity, of good common sense, and was much respected by his neighbors and friends. The worthy mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Margaret Clintob, was twice married, her first husband's name being Moore. Her sons, John Moore and William Moseley, served in the late war, being members of Company A, 75th Illinois Infantry. They were in the army two years and eleven months, but both escaped from the perils of battle unwounded. Mrs. Moseley is now spending her declining years in Thayer County, Neb.
Our subject was reared and educated in his native county; he went to Page County, Iowa, in 1876, and he was there married, Nov. 26, 1879, to Miss Lovisa A., daughter of William Beers, of Page County, Iowa. Four children have been born of their marriage--Nellie M., Fred R., Ida J. and an infant, Paul. In the fall of 1879 Mr. Moseley came with his bride to Thayer County, this State, which he had previously visited the spring before his marriage, and they lived there until the spring of 1883, when Mr. Moseley removed with his family to Gage County, and settled on his present farm. Mr. Moseley and his wife richly deserve the esteem and respect in which they are held. They have a pleasant home, and whoever crosses its threshold is sure of a cordial welcome and hospitable entertainment. Mr. Moseley is a man of upright, straightforward character, of great capability, and with energy enough to put through what he has once begun.
610 GAGE COUNTY
As a good citizen should he takes great pride in his township, and has taken a prominent part in its growth. Politically, he champions the Republican party.
AMES W. SHELLEY has been endowed by nature with a splendid physique, great mental force and moral strength--the requisites of a truly grand character. He has passed through a long period of eventful pioneer experience, in which the sterling qualities of manhood were developed and formed into graceful attributes of a truly noble character, while his zealous efforts toward the developing of the natural resources of this State and the fostering of the public institutions of his county are worthy of the highest commendation. His parents, Francis and Fanny (Hollingworth) Shelley, were born in England, the former in Staffordshire and the latter in Derbyshire. The father was a shoemaker by trade, and removed with his family to America in the year 1855, making his home in Portage County, Wis. He worked for a time on a farm near Stevens' Point, and in 1861 he brought his family to Nebraska, taking up a homestead on section 19, Rockford Township, where he prospered well. He died May 25, 1884, at the age of seventy-two years, but the mother of our subject still lives in Holmesville with her son Ernest, the youngest of her six children, who bear the names of Myra, James W., Thomas, Robert, Joseph and Ernest.
Our subject was born on the 5th of February, 1843, in Derbyshire, England, and was but twelve years old when he left his native country. There he had enjoyed excellent advantages for obtaining an education, but during his residence at Stevens' Point, Wis., the educational advantages were extremely limited and of an inferior grade. When his parents came to this State he was eighteen years old, and manifested his courage and intrepidity by driving a yoke of oxen all the way from his former home to this State. Here he found plenty of opportunities to develop the real worth of his young manhood, and in 1864 he took up a homestead claim of 120 acres, working and improving it, and making his home with his parents for the six years succeeding his purchase.
In 1870 our subject was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Bailey, a daughter of A. F. Bailey, who is a native of New Hampshire. Her mother is Janet (Ford) Bailey, and was born in New York State. The father was a farmer, and the family resided in Kenosha County, Wis., until 1863, when they came to this State and made their home on Cub Creek, nine miles west of Beatrice. The parents now reside in that city, the father aged seventy-seven years, and the, mother sixty-five years, they having cared for a family of eight children, whose names are as follows: Cornelia, Charles, Hattie, Mary, Annie, Myra, Clara and Clyde. Mary, the wife of our subject, was born Jan. 31, 1851, in Kenosha County, Wis., and was a girl twelve years old when she came to this State with her parents. She attended the common schools and secured a thorough education, being amply qualified to engage in the profession of teaching in this county, at which she continued for five or six terms. She was teaching at the time our subject made her acquaintance, and he having provided a comfortable home for his bride brought her to it.
By this happy marriage they have had born to them seven children, of whom Violetta died when she was eight years old, and the other six are named: Annie, Willie, Bessie (deceased), Eloise, Hattie and Merton. Mr. Shelley voted for the adoption of the State Constitution in 1866, and he was also instrumental in organizing the county into townships, having seen the prairie in its native state converted into fertile fields of waving grain and rich meadow land. He worked on the Otoe Reservation for two years, and really secured his best start during that period. He owns 450 acres of well-improved land, on which he has built a commodious and attractive farm dwelling, a view of which is given in this volume. He has corn cribs, granaries and a tool house, all under one roof. He cribs 3,000 bushels of corn and 2,000 bushels of grain in his storehouse, and in order to secure this large result he carries on farming extensively, and is one of the most enterprising men of Rockford Township. He is a member of an association which owns an extensive Norman and Clyde breed-
GAGE COUNTY 611
ing establishment at Blue Springs. He has some very valuable horses, and uses four teams of the fourteen head in operating the work of his farm,
Mr. and Mrs. Shelley are influential members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Holmesville, of which our subject was one of the earliest members and Trustees. He has been prominently identified with the educational work in his township, having served as School Moderator for three years, and doing all in his power to secure the best schools. In strict accordance with his Christian character he disapproves of the use of intoxicating drinks, and is an ardent advocate of the temperance cause, thereby identifying himself with the Prohibition party. Among business men and in his social relations he bears an unblemished reputation, and enjoys the good-will of all.
F. KENYON has a good farm of 120 acres on section 9, Blakely Township, which is devoted to farming and stock-raising, most of the land being under cultivation. He bought his farm in 1871, but he did not make his home on it until 1877, and as it was in an uncultivated condition when it came into his possession he has had an experience in common with the other farmers of this section in the breaking and tilling of prairie land. He came to Blakely Township direct from Logan County, Ill., driving across the country with a team of horses in the month of October, 1877. He was comparatively without means when he came, and his greatest desire was to establish a home which he might call his own, and on which he might labor as an independent man. He has succeeded well from the beginning, and is now pleasantly situated to enjoy what has been secured by much hard labor and constant application.
Our subject was born in Adams Township, Jefferson Co., N. Y., on the 29th of October, 1843, and is a son of R. A. and Lydia (Rhodes) Kenyon, the former of whom was a native of Rhode Island, and the latter of New York. The father was a deerskin tanner and glovemaker, and in 1844 the parents with their small family moved to a place near Marshall, Calhoun Co., Mich. In 1848 the family went to Kalamazoo County, and made their home near Gull Lake, where the father carried on his vocation for seven years, afterward engaging in farming. In 1864 he went to Logan County, Ill., and is still living there in the enjoyment of good health and mental faculties, active and industrious as ever, though he has reached the age of seventy-eight years. He lost his wife in Kalamazoo County, Mich., in 1852, when she was but thirty-eight years old, and the mother of seven children, three sons and four daughters.
Our subject was the fifth child of the family, of whom three sons and two daughters are now living, and all married and established in homes of their own. C. H. Kenyon is living in Cheyenne County, this State; Thomas W. is a shipper of stock, and lives in Lincoln, Ill.; Elazan, the wife of George Blain, an architect, and Marinda M., the wife of Stephen R. Cushing, a carpenter and joiner, have their homes in San Jose, Cal. The father of our subject was a second time married, to Mrs. Roxana P. (Miller) Brewer, who was a native of Vermont. She was the mother of two children by her former marriage, one of whom is deceased and the other, Mary L., is now the wife of Thomas W. Kenyon.
Our subject was one year old when his father moved to Michigan, and twenty-one years old when he went to Lincoln, Logan Co., Ill. At the beginning of the late civil troubles he was but seventeen years old, and he enlisted in Company B, 32d Illinois Infantry, under command of Col. John Logan, a cousin of Gen. John A. Logan. The regiment was connected with the Army of the Tennessee, and went to the front in December, 1861, coming in contact with the enemy at Shiloh, Hatchie, Vicksburg and Jackson, and also being engaged in the campaign with Sherman to Atlanta. After the fall of that place our subject was afflicted with sore eyes, and was absent from his company from the 21st of June until the 1st of September, 1864. He went to rejoin his regiment and was taken prisoner near Marietta, Ga., but on the 13th of December in the same year he was paroled, and a little later was sent home on parole furlough. He was honorably discharged on the 5th of September, 1865, at Leavenworth, Kan., having served for over four years as a hard-working and loyal soldier, for which he deserves
612 GAGE COUNTY
lasting honor. He never was wounded, but he lost the use of one eye from disease, and the other has suffered in sympathy with it. With his regiment he marched 6,000 miles in sixteen months, and besides the regular engagements he participated in many minor battles and skirmishes. Such devotion to his country and disregard of self proves him to be the possessor of a true, manly heart, and among brave soldiers his memory will always be cherished.
After his discharge from the service of his country our subject returned to Lincoln, Ill., and there met the lady whom he made his wife on the 12th of December, 1875. Miss Maria L. Turk, now Mrs. Kenyon, was born on the 1st of May, 1844, in Warren County. Ohio, and is the third child of James and Anna (Crespin) Turk, also natives of Ohio. The father was a gunsmith, and he took his family to Lincoln, Logan Co., Ill., in 1867, in which place both parents died, the father in 1873, aged sixty-two years, and the mother in 1870, aged fifty-seven years. Five of their children survive them, and in company with Mrs. Kenyon spent their earlier years with their parents until their death. Mrs. Kenyon was educated in her native county, and possesses many charming qualities of womanhood, which fit her to adorn her home and the society in which she moves. Our subject and his wife are well-known and influential people, and are among the leaders in educational, social and religious work. The latter is a member of the Universalist Church. Mr. Kenyon is a stanch Republican, and warmly advocates the cause of that party.
AMES L. BOYDSTON. No less credit is due to the energetic young men who are carrying on the work which their forefathers began in a new country, than to those who first opened a path in the wilderness. The subject of this sketch, one of the younger members of the community of Filley Township, is tilling a portion of the soil on section 36, and by his thoroughness and skill laying the foundations for a future competence. He has 320 acres of fertile land, neat and substantial buildings, a fair assortment of live stock and machinery, and about 400 fruit trees in good bearing condition, occupying ten acres of ground. A view of the home place accompanies this brief sketch of the enterprising owner.
Curtis Boydston, the father of our subject. was born in Greene County, Pa.. about 1821, and lived there until 1855. That year he left the Keystone State and emigrated to Warren County, Ill. In early life he had learned the carpenter trade, combined with cabinet-making, and continued that and farming until convinced that he could do better at the lumber business. He followed the latter accordingly for a time, but is now farming in Warren County, that State. He has been twice selected to represent the people of that county in the Legislature of Illinois, and in political matters in that State takes a prominent position.
The mother of our subject, Mrs. Orpha Boydston. was a native of Greene County, Pa., her birth taking place in 1821. She accompanied her family to Illinois, and died there in 1856. The parental household included eight children, six sons and two daughters, and five are now living, namely: Ulysses A., Station Agent at Alameda. Cal.; Newton L., telegraph operator at Virginia City, Nev.; James L., of this sketch; William L., of Galesburg, Ill., a conductor on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and Frank, a grocer, of Newton, Kan.
The subject of this biography was born Feb. 14, 1848, in Greene County, Pa., and remained with the family of his father until twenty-eight years of age. In 1881 he crossed the Mississippi and began farming in Harvey County, Kan., where he operated for two and a half years. In the winter of 1885 he came to this county, purchased his present farm, and has each year made good progress, so that in the near future he expects to enlarge the sphere of his operations and engage quite extensively in the raising of cattle and hogs.
The marriage of Mr. Boydston took place in April. 1885, his bride being Miss Ada, daughter of Royal and Julia Wiswell, who were natives of Vermont, and emigrated to Illinois about 1850; they removed from Warren County to Galesburg. The father is now living retired from active labor in California. Mrs. Boydston was born in Warren County, Ill., Jan 29, 1855, and spent her childhood
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller