740 GAGE COUNTY
ity of the enterprises set on foot for the advancement and prosperity of the county. He is a director and stockholder in the Beatrice National Bank and the American Savings Bank of Beatrice, and his landed interests are quite large, most of which is under lease. The family residence is situated in the southeastern suburbs of the city, and is a handsome and imposing structure, constituting with its surroundings one of the finest homes in or near the city.
Among the portraits of many of the most valued citizens of the county given in this volume may be found that of Mr. Blakely, given on an adjoining page.
ILLIAM KRAMER is an enterprising German who started in life with the determination to make his mark in the world, and has succeeded in fulfilling his determination to such an extent that he may feel justly gratified because of his achievements. His parents, Herman and Mary Kramer, were born in Hanover, Germany, and the father was engaged in farming until the time of his death. The mother is still living, and is now seventy-five years old. There were seven children in their family, viz: Gerhard, Herman, Henry, Johnny, an infant unnamed, William and Annie.
Our subject was born in Germany, on the 24th of June, 1848, and as his father was very comfortably situated in regard to this world's goods, he received the advantages of education which might have otherwise been denied him. His parents were members of the German Lutheran Church, and he received his confirmation at the age of fourteen. He early possessed a desire to come to America, and when he was eighteen years old he embarked on the sailing-ship "Augusta," which left Bremen on the 4th of September, and reached New Orleans after a voyage of eleven weeks across the water. He remained in St. Louis for one month, and then went to Washington County, Ill., and lived there two years, then went to Menard County, Ill., where after a time he married Miss Minnie Sachtleban.
After their marriage, which occurred on the 18th of March, 1875, Mr. and Mrs. Kramer rented a farm, on which they remained for eleven years and prospered well. In 1886 they came to Nebraska, and bought their present farm, consisting of 240 acres, 160 on section 3, and eighty acres on section 10, Nemaha Township. Our subject has improved his farm and increased its value, until now it presents a fine appearance and is the source of a lucrative income. He has built an attractive looking and commodious new house, set out groves of trees and various kinds of shrubbery, and has supplied his farm and stock with water by means of a good wind-pump. An observer would scarcely imagine all of these improvements to be possible from the hands of so recent a settler, but our subject is energetic and enterprising, as the results of his labor plainly indicate.
The family of our subject and his wife includes five bright, intelligent children, whose names are Annie, Johnny, Henry, Maggie and Minnie, all of whom are at home. The parents are members of the German Lutheran Church, and in the time of their residence here they have gained a large circle of friends. Our subject takes an active part in matters pertaining to education as well as those pertaining to church and State. He is a Democrat in politics, and at present is serving as School Moderator, his election to that office so soon after his removal here speaking well for his intelligence and the, favor with which he has been received by the best men of the township. He received his naturalization papers in 1872. and in every way is a loyal citizen of his adopted country.
EORGE H. FOUKE. There are few industries that have grown more rapidly or extensively than that of house and general furniture. The age has forever passed when the people will he content with the ancient order of things in this department, and even in the Far West in some little claim shanty or sod house are found articles of furniture that for value, perfection of work, and beauty of finish, would grace a Fifth avenue mansion. Among the tradesmen of Liberty few are more successful or have a better knowledge of the minutia of their business than has our subject, who is engaged in business as a general
GAGE COUNTY 741
house furnisher and implement dealer. Mr. Fouke was born in Hagerstown. Md., upon the 10th of February, 1853, to George J. and Elizabeth (Negley) Fouke, the former of whom was a native of Maryland and is now deceased, and the latter of Franklin County, Pa. Two uncles of our subject were soldiers in the Mexican War, his uncle Henry serving as a Colonel.
Our subject continued to make his home in his native place until he was sixteen years old. He then decided to strike out for himself; his father thereupon furnished him with a ticket to San Francisco, and $20 in cash; with that he started in life. Owing to the ravages of war he had little or no opportunity to obtain an education, and was, therefore, minus this great help. He had a brother and uncle somewhere in the mountains of El Dorado County, and he went to work to locate them and renew their acquaintance. After some time he was successful in his search, and shortly afterward started out in the endeavor to obtain work. The first day he walked over forty miles, meeting only failure, but the following morning he found himself in the company of an English sheep-raiser, John Richardson by name, and with him engaged as a shepherd, continuing in that employment several months. After that he was employed upon a farm for about twenty-seven months, and thence went to the Sacramento Valley and drove a team, uniting with this employment that of fanning for about twenty-seven months, at a salary that ranged from $35 to $65 a month. During this time he occasionally attended school, usually at night, and also for a time the school at Sacramento City. In the fall of 1877, owing to a protracted sickness, he returned to Iowa, stopping in Cedar County, where he worked upon a farm for about a year, and for the following five years rented property in different counties, farming upon his own account.
Our subject entered the marriage state upon the 11th of February, 1879, and was united with Emma Shaw, a daughter of Charles Shaw, of Scott County, Iowa. This lady died in November, 1881, leaving one daughter, who was named Florence. A second alliance was entered into on the 18th of December, 1883, the lady of his selection being Miss Sarah Wherry, a native of Guernsey County, Ohio.
Our subject came to Liberty in July, 1885, and embarked in the business of general house furnisher. Recognizing the need of a reliable implement firm, the following year he added that department. In 1886 he received into partnership his nephew, David Wherry, his business having grown so rapidly as to demand some such step. Mr. Fouke is one who realizes the march of time and progress of the age, and endeavors to keep in the front rank of those who are engaged in business, especially of his particular calling. His religious connections are with the United Presbyterian Church, and in this communion he is received as one of its ablest supporters.
RS. REBECCA (LONG) PRICE. This estimable lady resides in Odell, where she has a beautiful home, which she shares with her son and daughter, and in their pleasant companionship she is quietly passing the closing years of a useful life, surrounded by every comfort that heart could wish, enjoying in the highest degree the respect and esteem of a large circle of friends, who have been attracted to her by her many amiable qualities. She is the widow of the late lamented Rev. William B. Price, whose death occurred Nov. 14, 1886, when he was seemingly scarcely past the prime of life, being but fifty-one years of age, and in the midst of a busy and honorable career as an agriculturist and as a preacher in the German Baptist Church.
Mrs. Price is a native of Washington County, Md., and a daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Fridley) Long. When our subject was thirteen years of age, her parents removed to Ogle County, Ill., where they located, and where, in 1848, occurred the death of the mother. Mrs. Price from that time faithfully cared for her father's welfare until his death in 1856. She still continued to reside in Ogle County, and there, on the 17th of November, 1858, her marriage with William B. Price was solemnized. He was a native of Virginia, born near Harper's Ferry, and a son of John Price, a native of Virginia, who died in Illinois.
In 1873 Mr. Price settled up his affairs in Illinois, having decided to make his home for the future
742 GAGE COUNTY
under the sunny skies of Nebraska, to receive the benefit of its fine climate and the advantages of its rich soil. On his arrival here with his family he selected a suitable location near Beatrice, and he thus became an early settler of Gage County. In 182 he removed with his wife and children to Odell, where he purchased the 100 acres of land that forms the fine farm on which his family still live. He erected a commodious house and other necessary buildings, besides making other substantial improvements. In the pleasant home that he thus secured to his family, in the few years given him to labor here, he laid down the burden of life one autumn day, and fell into that dreamless sleep that knows no waking this side of eternity, leaving a devoted wife, a son and a daughter to hold his memory in sacred remembrance. His death was a severe blow to the moral and material interests of Odell, as he was a public-spirited, conscientious citizen, and labored to sustain the religious as well as the financial prosperity of the community, and he was revered and beloved by all who had the pleasure of associating with him. He was connected with the German Baptist Church, in which for ten years he was an earnest preacher; he died fearless and triumphant in the faith, and now, across the River, he, with the friends who have gone before, awaits those who have yet to enter the Golden Gate.
The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Price was blessed to them by the birth of two children--Olin L. and Anna R. The son manages the farm, keeping it up to the same high standard of cultivation that it had attained under his father's supervision, and he is also quite successfully engaged in stock-raising.
Mrs. Price is a member of the church in which her husband labored so long and faithfully; she cherishes his memory, and in many ways forwards the good work in which he was engaged.
ALTER T. GORE is well known and has built quite a reputation for himself as a general merchant and stock dealer of Liberty. His father, George W. Gore, is a native of Loudoun County, Va., and now a resident of Clarksburg, in the same State. Our subject was born on the 12th of February, 1854, in Hampshire County, Va. (now West Virginia), and spent the early part of his youth on a farm in his native county. In the year 1868 he removed with his parents to Blacksburg, Montgomery County, in the same State, and while residing there he took a three-years course of instruction at the Preston and Oland Institute.
In March of the year 1871 our subject went to Marion County, Iowa, and engaged in teaching school for two or three winters, spending his vacation during the summers on a farm. Subsequently he removed to Chariton, Iowa, where he continued the occupation of a farmer, combining it with the buying and selling of live stock until the year 1879. Then he came to this county and located on Wolf Creek, six miles north of this city, though at that time the city had not yet been platted; but after it was founded he came here, and has since made his home in this place. In company with Mr. D. S. Hardin he established the first real-estate office of this city, and they are still carrying on the business.
In 1884 Mr. Gore engaged in the mercantile business, carrying a general stock of goods, and by honorable dealing and giving strict attention to the management of his business he has built up a large trade and has been meeting with good success, He also pays especial attention to the buying and selling of live stock, which he ships to Chicago, Kansas City and Omaha, and in that also he is doing a flourishing business.
Our subject was married, on the 11th of March, 1884, to Miss Mellie A. Nelson, a daughter of Jesse Nelson, of Liberty. They had one child to bless their home, Tilghman M., but the mother was not permitted to remain in her home for a long time, being called by death on the 18th of February, 1888, and while the husband was in the depth of his mourning for her, the little child was taken from him on the 31st of July, 1888, at the age of six months, making the bereavement double and almost unbearable.
Mr. Gore has met with universal success in his business dealings, commanding the respect and esteem of the business men with whom he engages, and he has also become an extensive landowner,
GAGE COUNTY 743
having possession of 160 acres of land in this county, 160 acres in Pawnee County, and 480 acres in Northwestern Kansas, in Sheridan and Gove Counties. The character which our subject bears in his vicinity justifies the residents in electing him to the office of Justice of the Peace, which office he has filled with credit to himself for six years. Although this section of the State has been but a few years in developing to its present condition, its outlook for the future is most promising, since there are now numbered among its inhabitants so many reliable, enterprising men of good business standing to give strength and solidity to the foundation of its enterprises, among whom our subject is entitled to a rank with the foremost.
ACOB HILDEBRAND. The life history of the subject of this sketch reads more like a romance than the sober statements of real life. Born amid the wild and beautiful scenery of Switzerland, in close proximity to the Alps and Lake Lucerne, he early in life imbibed the liberty-loving air of a free and independent people and the spirit with which the hero William Tell rendered himself immortal. The seventh child in a family of six sons and five daughters, he was born in the canton of Lucerne, Jan. 31, 1834, and still preserves a clear recollection of the home of his infancy, enshrined among the hills and made charming, simple as it was, by the delights of lake, wood, field and stream.
The father of our subject, Joseph Hildebrand, was born in the same region of country as his son, and married a Miss Shedhalter; the parents spent their entire lives in their native land, both living to the advanced age of eighty years. Jacob was trained at an early age to habits of industry, and as soon as old enough began to make himself useful by doing such little jobs around his neighborhood as he was able. At the age of fourteen he started out in earnest to battle with the world, and soon formed his own ideas in regard to his future as he determined it should be-with a home of his own and some day a competency. While yet a boy attending school in his native canton he had conceived the idea of coming to America, and in this project was warmly seconded by his brother Lone, to whom he was most warmly attached. The two boys spent many an hour discussing the future, which they determined should be spent as near as possible together.
At the age of sixteen years Jacob Hildebrand drifted over into France, where he staid three years, and his favorite brother became a soldier in the Italian army. They thus lost sight of each other, and Jacob, in October, 1853, took passage on a sailing-vessel bound from Havre, France, to New York City. He arrived upon the soil of America in November following, and for several months was employed in Cayuga County, N. Y., at $50 per month. In 1855 he started to cross the Mississippi, and on the way was employed in different places as carpenter, brickmaker, and at various other occupations until arriving in Iowa.
In 1857 Mr. Hildebrand most unexpectedly, and to his great joy learned that his brother Lone was not only in America, but in the Territory of Nebraska, located on a piece of land in Nemaha Township, this county, and it is hardly necessary to say that he at once laid his plans to join him. The following spring they were happily reunited. Lone was never married, and made his home with our subject until called hence by the decree which sooner or later overtakes all mankind. After a well-spent, most honorable and praiseworthy life, he died in 1887, mourned by a large circle of friends, at the age of sixty-one years.
Mr. Hildebrand, in the spring of 1858, accompanied by an acquaintance, William Betler, started on foot from Iowa to this county. They walked the greater part of the way, and the meeting of the long separated brothers can better be imagined than described. Lone had preempted 140 acres of land, and after the arrival of Jacob the brothers each homesteaded eighty acres, and thus had together a snug area, which was destined in future to become of good value. They remained here until 1862, then repaired to Colorado, and for three years engaged in mining and ranching, employing themselves in the mines at Boulder City during the winter, and repairing to their ranch when the spring came to look after their cattle. They were in
744 GAGE COUNTY
Boulder when the news of the assassination of President Lincoln reached them, and the Swiss brothers who in their native land stood upon the very spot where fell the tyrant Gesler by the hand of William Tell, signified their sympathy with the cause of liberty in their adopted country by inaugurating solemn services among the miners upon the death of the martyred President. A Confederate in the vicinity, who expressed sympathy with the assassin Booth, was summarily dealt with.
The Hildebrand brothers were greatly prospered in their mutual labors, and gained hosts of friends on account of their straightforward honesty and fair dealings with their fellowmen. Upon returning to Nebraska, they resumed farming upon their land, hauling their wheat to Nebraska City and bringing back loads of lumber and provisions, which they landed in Beatrice, and for which they received ample returns. The country was new and they carried with them their provisions, camping out wherever night overtook them. They improved their land as rapidly as possible, setting out fruit and shade trees, erecting handsome and substantial buildings, and instituting those comforts and conveniences essential to the well-being of the modern and progressive farmer.
Jacob Hildebrand in 1875 was united in marriage with Miss Edith Morris, who was born in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, in 1855. Mrs. H. received a common-school education and came to Nebraska with her uncle, David Blatchart, in 1874. Of her union with our subject there have been born six children, namely: Mary, James, Nettie, Minnie, Josie and William. Mr. Hildebrand is one of the most loyal adherents of the Republican party, and always interested in those projects calculated to advance the prosperity and intelligence of his community.
EUBEN ALBERT. In the following sketch it will be the endeavor succinctly to present some of the more salient features of the life one of Highland Township's pioneers, whose residence is upon section 4, where he has a beautiful and somewhat exceptionally fertile farm. He is a native of the Keystone State, having been born in Northampton County, on the 7th of January, 1834. He is the son of John and Mary M. (Albert) Albert, both natives of the same State. Our subject was the eldest son, and was reared to manhood in his native county, and in its public schools received a fair, practical English education.
In December of 1863 our subject was united in marriage with Melinda Mosser. The happiness of her union with our subject has been more fully assured and its joys enhanced by the birth of their three children, to whom have been given the names here following, viz: Ulysses G., Frank R. and Gertrude.
In the summer of 1862, in answer to the bugle note from Washington, our subject stepped to the front as a volunteer in defense of the old flag, enlisting in Company D, 129th Pennsylvania Infantry, which became part of the 9th Army Corps of the Army of Virginia, tinder command of the intrepid McClellan, and subsequently Gen. Burnside. Besides an interminable round of minor engagements and skirmishes, our subject took part in a number of the larger battles, of which he has chief cause to remember that at Fredericksburg, where he was severely wounded in the right thigh, which necessitated his subsequent confinement for about three months in the Pleasant Hill (Washington) and Chestnut Hill (Philadelphia) Hospitals. Upon recovery he received an honorable discharge in the spring of 1863. Our subject continued to reside in Pennsylvania until about 1869, when he removed to Montgomery County, Iowa, where he resided until the fall of 1871, when he came to this county. Upon arrival he homesteaded 160 acres of good land in Highland Township, the same upon which he now resides. If it was good then his industry and intelligent, careful cultivation have vastly improved it. At the time of his settlement his nearest neighbor was over seven miles distant from him, and everything was in a most primitive condition, and it has been with pleasurable pride that he and his family have watched the surroundings develop and improve, and the State as a whole march with unusually rapid step and lengthy stride to the front place in the rank of Western States.
Besides the above farm our subject owns another of like extent in Sheridan County, Kan., which has
Note: Pages 745-748 are missing from this book, probably a 2 page picture.
GAGE COUNTY 749
developed into quite a valuable property. He has served as Constable for two years, besides also some other of the township offices. Socially, he is connected with the G. A. R. It is hardly necessary to add that Mr. Albert is an affiliate of the Republican party, at once one of its stanchest friends, stoutest defenders and steadfast supporters.
YRON P. ZUVER. The grandparents upon the paternal side of the family of which our subject is a member were Henry and Margaret (Schneider) Zuver; upon the maternal side John and Elizabeth (Zuver) Kerns. Both these families were of Holland origin, and became residents of America previous to the Revolutionary War. That of the Kerns dates back to 1727. They included within their circles a large number of children, of whom were Solomon Zuver and Julia Ann Kerns, the father and mother of our subject, who were born in the year 1819, the one in Pennsylvania, the other in Ohio. They were united in marriage in 1839, in Wayne County, Ohio, whither the father of our subject had accompanied his parents. Of this union there were born five children; the eldest of these was Byron, our subject. The others were Sarah S., John H., George W. and Henry. The latter died when quite young; John H. departed this life in 1883, in Sonoma County, Cal; Sarah resides in Los Angeles, and George W. near Adams, of this State.
Mr. Solomon Zuver became quite prosperous in his farming and mercantile business, which very rapidly extended, and in a short time he became comparatively well-to-do, but reverses followed rapidly upon the heels of successes, owing to some unfortunate transactions, and his fortune melted away and left him nothing but the unsubstantial memory and sometimes bitter reflections of baffled hopes and desires. In 1855, a poor man and starting life a second time, he removed to Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, where he was one of the early pioneers. He there engaged in keeping hotel, and in the summer of 1864 had so succeeded in business as to be able to take quite an extensive trip to the Pacific and through the Northwestern States. Upon his return home he removed to Kansas, where he lived until Oct. 5, 1878, when he departed this life, aged fifty-eight years. He was married three times, but had no children by the last two marriages.
Our subject was born Nov. 8, 1840, in Wayne County, Ohio. After the removal of the family to Iowa he attended the common school, and in the winter of 1860 taught school. He left the teacher's desk to attend the classes of the Western College, in Linn County, and April 28, 1861, enlisted in Company D, 12th Iowa Infantry, being the first to enlist from this county. Owing to the fact that no more three-months men could be utilized to advantage, he was obliged to reenlist on the 20th of September, 1861. The organization of this company for service was at Cedar Rapids, where the ladies of the city presented them with a silken flag that was afterward carried into the conflict and became a source of inspiration and courage to the faint-hearted or weary soldier. From that city they went to Dubuque, and November 28 went by car to St. Louis, where they were stationed until Jan. 28, 1862, and then went to Smithland, Ky.; thence to Ft. Henry, which was reached February 6, and that very day the fort surrendered. Our subject was an active participant in the battle and splendid victory of Ft. Donelson. At Mineral Landing they took the boats for Pittsburg Landing, where they arrived March 20, and on the 6th of the following month were in the battle of Shiloh. On the evening of that day several regiments were taken prisoners, and among them the 12th. Iowa, that having been in the conflict all day and fought to the bitter end in the portion of the field known as Hornet's Nest and Hell's Hollow by the enemy.
The prisoners--among them our subject--were hurried off to Corinth, thence to Memphis; from Memphis successively to Granada, Jackson, Meridian. Miss., and Mobile. There they were put upon the boats and sent to Tuscaloosa, Ala., where they arrived on the tenth day of their imprisonment, it was the great misfortune of these prisoners to be under the charge of the notorious tyrant, Henry Wirz, of Andersonville fame, from whom they suffered, directly or indirectly, the most scandalous treatment and untold brutality. Leaving Ruscaloosa, they were then taken to Montgomery, and
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller