750 GAGE COUNTY
were there paroled on the 22d of May. Our subject joined the army again at Huntsville. Ala., on the 30th of the same month. and as a paroled prisoner-of-war was sent to Nashville, Louisville, Cairo, and finally, on the 10th of July, to Benton Barracks, at St. Louis, where he remained until the reorganization of the regiment, on the 1st day of January of the following year, i. e., 1863.
Leaving St. Louis on the 9th of April, our subject with his regiment started once more to the front. Their first battle was that of Grand Gulf, La., and this was speedily followed by the engagements at Ft. Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Clinton, Edmund Station, Champion Hills, Black River Bridge, and then on to the siege of Vicksburg, near which place they remained until its fall, July 4, 1863. They next engaged in the eight-days siege of Jackson, Miss., which fell in the same month. Next was the battle of Brandon, which was fought upon the 19th of July. Returning to Vicksburg, they were stationed there until the Canton expedition in October, in which they took part. In the next month they went back to Memphis, guarding the Memphis & Charleston Railroad, and in this work the regiment continued during the winter of 1863-64, at Chewalla, Tenn.
On Christmas Day of the year 1863 Mr. Zuver re-enlisted as a veteran, and February 1 following started once more for Vicksburg, where the regiment was engaged in guard duty at the Black River Bridge until the 4th of March. The next four days were spent in Vicksburg, and March 8 they left for home, and arrived at Davenport on the 22d. After a much-needed rest and recreation they re-assembled at Davenport, on the 26th of April, and proceeded immediately to Memphis, where they arrived May 1, and were engaged until the 16th in picket duty. Then Company D, with five others, was detailed to go to the mouth of the White River, Ark., for garrison duty, and returned on the 3d of June to Memphis and again took up picket duty. Active hostilities for this company recommenced with the battle of Tupelo, which lasted from the 13th to the 16th of July. This was the occasion when the 12th Iowa Regiment covered itself with a mantle of glory that can never grow old or dim; they were the heroes of the day. Upon the 22d they were back to Memphis, and on the 31st of the same month started out for the Oxford expedition. At this time our subject was detailed for provost duty part of the time at Holly Springs, and also took part in the battles of Abbeville and Tallahatchie, Miss.
The regiment returned to Memphis on the 30th of August, and proceeded to Duval's Bluff on the 8th of September, thence to Brownsville on the 11th, then leaving to go on the "Pap" Price expedition, whom they followed for 350 miles. Landing at Cape Girardeau on the 5th of October, they went to St. Louis, thence to Jefferson City, arriving on the 18th; thence by cars to LaMine Bridge, and there commenced the march to the scene of action. On the way they passed through Sedalia, Lexington and Independence, and arrived on the battle-field of the Big Blue on the 24th of the same month, just after the fight was over. From that place they went to Santa Fe, Kan., reaching Harrisville, Mo., on the 26th. They left again on the 30th for St. Louis, via Sedalia.
Upon the 8th of November our subject voted in the capitol building of Missouri in favor of Abraham Lincoln. This is memorable to him as being his first Presidential vote. Our subject was just twenty-four years of age at the time. Leaving St. Louis on the 23d, he proceeded with his regiment to Cairo, which was reached in four days; thence on to Nashville, where they supported Gen. Thomas. In the battle of Nashville, December 15 and 16, our subject and his brave comrades were again under fire, and added fresh laurels to those already won. After this they went on the Hood expedition. Our subject and his regiment belonged to the 16th Army Corps, which became known by the opprobrious appellation "Smith's Guerrillas." The expedition was continued to the Tennessee River, where they arrived Jan. 2, 1865. On the 10th they were at Eastport, Miss., and there remained until the 7th of February. Then they went to Paducah, Cairo, Memphis, Vicksburg and New Orleans, where they arrived on the 21st. During this time our snbject (sic), being detached from his regiment, was transferred to the ordnance department of the division as Ordnance Sergeant, in which he remained until near the close of the war.
GAGE COUNTY 751
From Lake Pontchartrain they left for Mobile Bay, thence to Spanish Fort, participating in the siege of that place, and also at Ft. Blakesley, which fell April 10, 1865, and was the cause of the evacuation of Mobile the next day. From there they marched to Montgomery, Ala., which was reached upon the 25th. During said march they learned of Lee's surrender, and shortly after of Johnston's. During the summer and fall of 1865 they did duty at Selma and Talladega, then turning their faces northward they took up their march to Memphis, Tenn., then to Demopolis, Meridian and Corinth, where they arrived Jan. 3, 1866. Our subject returned to his company on the 19th of July, 1865, with the rank of Sergeant. Leaving Memphis upon the 18th they reached Cairo on the 20th and Davenport on the 23d. The regiment was mustered out, to date the 20th of January, and was paid off on arrival at Davenport, where they who had marched, labored, fought and suffered together so long, answered the words of command for the last time, bade each other their affectionate farewells, and disbanded.
Our subject was in the service of his country a period of four years and four months. During this time he marched over 4,000 miles in all weathers, suffering from heat and dust, frost and wet, over roads rough, hard and rocky, and through streams and swamps, or plodding wearily through deep clay and mud; no easy task or pleasant journey. The miles covered in the journey by railroad amounted to 5,000, and upon the steamboat 8,000. It is somewhat remarkable that in spite of the fact that Mr. Zuver was so long in the service, so often an active combatant, so frequently engaged in lesser hand-to-hand conflicts, he only sustained one wound, and that of comparatively slight nature, which occurred at the battle of Shiloh. Our subject kept a very careful record of all the happenings and circumstances of any importance from the first to the last of his military experience, and has since written a very complete, accurate and interesting history of Company D, 12th Iowa Veteran Volunteers, and has received the honor of an appointment as a member of the Regimental Historical Committee.
After the war our subject returned to Mason City, Iowa, and engaged as clerk in a mercantile house, and in the fall of 1866 engaged in the hotel business at Waterloo, Iowa, continuing until the spring of the following year, then came with his brother, George W., to Nebraska City, where he arrived on the 1st of July, reaching Brownville the next day. During the summer he engaged in farming, and in the winter as teacher. Upon the 17th of July, the following year, 1867, he took a homestead in Hooker Township of this county, and it was during this time that he became acquainted with Miss Nancy Adams, the daughter of John O. Adams (see sketch of Nelson Adams), the veteran pioneer; to this lady our subject was united on the 16th of October, 1873, by nuptial vows. Of this union have been born six children: George L., who died when twelve years of age; Mary A. and Martha A. (twins); Anna A. and John Arthur, both of whom died in infancy, and Byron Price.
Mrs. Zuver's great-grandfather, John Lawrence, was born in England, and left in infancy an orphan and adopted by one Mr. Adams, of Massachusetts, and from that time took the name of his adopted parent. He came to America a lad of about nine or ten years of age, and settled in New York State, and upon reaching manhood was married. He made his home in New York for some years, then removed to New Jersey, next to Kentucky, and after several years went to Dubois County, Ind., where he died in 1839. aged ninety-four years. The grandfather. David Adams, was born in New York, was married to Ester A. Ross, and died in Indiana, aged seventy years; the father was born in New Jersey on the 17th of July, 1808, and was married on the 13th of February, 1840, to Miss Letitia Harris. The Harris family had settled in Virginia in its earlier days, and had taken quite a prominent place among its citizens. Grandfather Harris was born in that State in the year 1788. Grandmother Harris was Polly Corn, a lady who was of Scotch-Welsh extraction.
Miss Nancy Adams, now the wife of our subject, was born Oct. 16, 1842, in Dubois County, Ind., where she continued to make her home until she was fourteen years of age, removing with her parents to Nebraska in 1857. Her education was by force of circumstances quite meager so far as schooling was concerned, although she has earnestly
752 GAGE COUNTY
endeavored to make up for any loss in that direction. The home in Indiana was in a district where the settlers were nearly all German Catholics and had their own schools, which were, however, not the place for Miss Adams. Upon removal to Nebraska, the country being quite new and settlers few, the only schools available were a few private schools, which were located in the more developed part of the State. The first school in the Upper Nemaha Valley was held in her father's house, who did everything in his power to advance the interests of the young people in this regard.
Our subject's farm comprises 160 acres of well-improved, rich, arable land, which he homesteaded, and which is situated in Hooker Township. His Adams Township property comprises 160 acres belonging to both parties jointly, as fine land as lies out of doors where they now reside. Mr. and Mrs. Zuver are members of the Adams Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject is a prominent member of the Sergt. Cox Post No. 100, G. A. R., Adams, and has been Commander for two years, and is now serving his second year as Adjutant. He is also a Mason. For several years he was Justice of the Peace of Hooker Township, and occupies the same position now in that of Adams; also both Township Assessor and Deputy County Assessor. He has served on the Petit Jury and the United States Circuit Jury. For a number of years he was appointed by the Governor Register of Voters. His connection with the Mail Department is both long and honorable. He was route agent for this department from Omaha to Ogden, Utah, from Jan. 1, 1880, and was transferred at his own request to the route from St. Joseph, Mo., to Grand Island, Neb., in June, 1880, serving on this division until in 1883, and was then Postal Clerk from Columbus, Neb., to Atchison, Kan., until Dec. 10, 1886. It is hardly necessary after the foregoing military and official record to state that in political matters our subject is entirely Republican, and that all his influence and energy are at its service.
Our subject has always been deeply interested in everything that pertains to the education of the young. For more than twelve years he has served heartily and faithfully in the various school offices, and is still the School Treasurer of his district. An intimation has already been made to the effect that our subject has made a reputation as a writer upon the thrilling, painful and patriotic history of the war. To this department of literature he has added that of a writer of travels. The productions of his pen in this department are very interesting, because he is a man of keen perceptions and knows what to observe and how to observe it, and what is perhaps more rare, how to present it. In 1884 he made a trip to California, and supplied the columns of the Beatrice Express with regular letters of deep interest concerning the journey. Comment upon such a history as the foregoing is superfluous; it is its own compliment as to the character of the subject and the estimation in which he is held by his fellows.
During the past autumn our subject has attended the National Encampment at Columbus, Ohio, and visited his old home, from which he had been absent thirty-three years.
ILAS W. WADSWORTH, the oldest representative of the jewelry business in the city of Beatrice, established himself here in the fall of 1869, and now owns and occupies his own store, while in the central part of the city he has a tasteful brick residence, which, with its surroundings, forms a very pleasant and attractive home. His career has been distinguished by a close application to business, which has brought its legitimate reward in the shape of a competency.
Our subject was born in Columbia County, N. Y., the modest home of his parents being in the town of New Lebanon, where he first opened his eyes to the light June 19, 1835. His father, Ebenezer S. Wadsworth, was a farmer in comfortable circumstances, and with his estimable wife, Jerusha (Vincent) Wadsworth, was also a native of the Empire State. Col. Ebenezer was born in New Lebanon, Columbia Co., N. Y., on the old Wadsworth homestead, now owned by his children. It was bought by his grandfather 117 years ago (1771), first by John Wadsworth, then by his son, John Wadsworth, and in 1836 Ebenezer S. came in possession of it and owned it until he died, June 17,
GAGE COUNTY 753
1880. He was appointed Lieutenant in the 73d Infantry in 1831, and May 5, 1832, Captain. In 1836 he was appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the same regiment. He was a zealous Christian; in 1838 he planned and built a church upon one corner of his farm, which still stands and is in good repair. He was for many years the magistrate of the community, and was looked upon as a safe counselor, ever ready to advise with his neighbors and friends, who eagerly sought his counsel.
The paternal grandfather of our subject, John Wadsworth by name, was born April 1, 1762, in New Lebanon, N. Y., and in early manhood married Miss Rachel Wheeler, whose birth took place June 18, 1766. They became the parents of twelve children, four sons and eight daughters, and Ebenezer S., the father of our subject, was born Dec. 12, 1802. He spent his entire life in his native State, and departed hence on the 17th of June, 1880. The wife and mother was born April 24, 1808, and passed away a number of years before the decease of her husband, Dec. 11, 1871.
To the parents of our subject there were born twelve children, nine sons and three daughters, of whom the following survive: John G., George K., Constant W., Silas W. (our subject), Jane Ann, Dow V., Elbert E., William P. and Joseph G. F. Maria A. died Dec. 4, 1865; Rachel H., June 6, 1869, and Andrew W., June 11, 1861. Silas W., like his brothers and sisters, passed his life quietly and uneventfully upon the farm, acquiring his education in the district school. When twenty years old he left home, and going to Fulton, Oswego Co., N. Y., began an apprenticeship at the jeweler's trade under the instruction of S. S. Morrell, brother of Senator Justin Morrell, of Vermont, serving four years.
At the expiration of his apprenticeship young Wadsworth established in business for himself in East Chatham, N. Y., where he manufactured and dealt in jewelry until 1868. Then, desirous of a change of location, he sought the country west of the Mississippi, locating first in Tecumseh, Johnson County, this State. He only remained there, however, until the fall of 1869, when he changed his residence to Beatrice, where he has since lived. During the period of nearly twenty years which he has spent among the people of this city he has made for himself a good record as a business man and a citizen, and has watched the growth of Southern Nebraska with the warm interest which is felt by every enterprising and public-spirited man.
Mr. Wadsworth was married in Fulton, Oswego County, N. Y., Feb. 27, 1859, to Miss M. Celia Perry, who was born in that city Jan. 12, 1837, and is the daughter of Jarvis and Sarah Maria Perry, who were natives of New York, and are now deceased. Of this union there are no children, but Mr. and Mrs. W. some years ago adopted a boy, whom they called Frank, and who is now a promising boy nine years old. Mr. Wadsworth built his store in 1874, and his residence in 1886. The former occupies an area of 22x56 feet, is two stories in height, the lower part occupied by his own business, and the balance by W. A. Watson, his watchmaker, and by W. H. Striker, dentist.
Mr. Wadsworth is rather conservative in his political ideas, but supports the Republican ticket. He identified himself with the Masonic fraternity about 1860, and is at present a member and Treasurer of Beatrice Lodge No. 26, and Livingston Chapter No. 10, besides Mt. Vernon Commandery No. 7.
ENRY REIMUND, of Blakely Township, came to this county in 1870, as a proposed settler, although he had visited Nebraska two years previously. For a period of over twenty years his chief interests have centered here. He established himself in the spring of the year mentioned on a tract of 160 acres occupying the southwest quarter of section 36, and to the improvement and cultivation of this has since given most of his time and attention. In the meantime he visited California, but even in the Golden State found nothing more desirable than the country of Southern Nebraska.
Mr. Reimund came to this county from the vicinity of Urbana, Ill., where he had been engaged as a merchant tailor, and located first in Beatrice, establishing a tailor shop, and pursuing the trade with which he had become familiar in early manhood. He operated thus until 1884, then changed his lo-
754 GAGE COUNTY
cation and occupation for the more congenial pursuits of farm life. Like most men he has met with reverses, and at one time, through the rascality of a partner, suffered the loss of a small fortune, He has, however, been fortunate in recovering from this, having now a good property and a competence for his old age.
Mr. Reimund was born near Bedford Springs, Bedford Co., Pa., Sept. 8, 1822, and is the son of Solomon and Elizabeth (Hessiger) Reimund. The father was born in Virginia, and was a wheelwright by trade, and also an adept at chairmaking. After marriage he settled in Pennsylvania, in which State he spent the remainder of his days, his death taking place in Bedford County, at the advanced age of eighty-two years. The mother preceded her husband to the silent land, passing away at the old homestead in Bedford County, when fifty-five years old. They were the parents of three children only, of whom our subject is the sole survivor. He was the youngest, and was but twelve years of age when he was apprenticed to learn the tailor's trade, to which he applied himself diligently for a period of seven and a half years, under the instruction of a paternal uncle, George Reimund. After being released from his apprenticeship, young Reimund operated as a journeyman tailor for a time, then established a shop of his own in his native town, about 1842, continuing there a number of years. In the meantime he was married, March 27, 1851, to Miss Mary A. Radebaugh, who is a native of his own county, and born Jan. 5, 1831. Her parents, Peter and Eliza (Waters) Radebaugh, were also natives of the Keystone State; the latter is of Scotch ancestry. The father was a gardener by profession; he spent his entire life in his native county of Bedford, dying there after he had reached his threescore and ten years. The mother, in 1887, joined her children in this county, and now makes her home with them; she is about seventy-seven years old.
Mrs. Reimund was reared to womanhood in her native county, receiving, like her husband, an ordinary education in the common school. She was trained by a careful mother in all needful household duties, and thus became amply fitted for her position as the wife of a good man and the mother of a family. Of her union with our subject there have been born four children, one of whom, a daughter, Eliza, died in infancy. Those surviving are: Ambrose B., who married Miss Mary Avey, of this county, and is carrying on his own farm in Lincoln Township; William O., who is unmarried, and operates the home farm with his father; Alphonso W., a tailor by trade, and carrying on business successfully for himself in Beatrice; he married Miss Josephine Dobbs, who was born and reared in this county. Henry Reimund changed his location from McConnellstown, Pa., to Princeton, Ill., and from the Prairie State migrated north to Minnesota. In the latter State he opened up a new farm, which he carried on seven years. Then returning to Illinois, he settled on a farm in the vicinity of Urbana, Champaign County. He finally abandoned farming for business in that city, and from there, in 1870, came to this county. Our subject and his excellent lady are members in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Beatrice. Mr. Reimund for many years was a firm supporter of the Republican party, but his warm interest in the temperance movement led him in 1884 to cast his influence with the Prohibitionists. A view of his pleasant homestead will be found on another page in this ALBUM.
YMAN DART, one of the older residents of Holt Township, is a fine illustration of the self-made man, who has worked his way from the difficulties surrounding his early life, the disadvantages of ill-health and other adverse circumstances, to a good position socially and financially. His farm lies on section 10, and with its fertile soil and comfortable buildings forms one of the landmarks in the history of the county.
James Dart, the father of our subject, was born in Addison County, Vt., while the mother, Sarah by name, was a native of Essex County, N. Y. The elder Dart was a carpenter and ship builder, and took up his residence in the Empire State at an early day, living in Essex County until 1831. Later he removed to Wayne County, where his death took place after a two-months residence there,
GAGE COUNTY 755
leaving his wife and children in limited circumstances.
Lyman Dart was born July 17, 1818, in Essex County, N. Y., and spent his boyhood mostly on the banks of Lake Champlain. He began to work out when a lad of twelve or thirteen years, acquiring his education during the short term of the winter school. Upon reaching manhood he was married, in 1841, to Miss Jane P. Monroe, of Brown County, N. Y. They settled upon a farm, where Mr. L. operated as a renter until 1845. He then changed his residence to Hillsdale County, Mich., where he also rented land, and in connection with this carried on threshing. He became the father of two daughters: Harriet and Helen L., and met his first great affliction in the death of his wife, which occurred in December, 1845.
Mr. Lyman removed to Illinois in 1860, and lived for a time in Will and Iroquois Counties. He had been married the second time, in Hillsdale County, Mich., to Miss Clarissa Monroe, a sister of his first wife, and who was also a native of Brown County, N. Y. In 1867 they returned to Michigan, and thence in May, 1870, came to Nebraska. Mr. Dart made his headquarters at Dry Creek, and spent some time looking over the country. He finally leased a tract of school land, his present farm, the location of which pleased him, and in 1873 it became his property.
To our subject and his present wife there have been born four children, namely: Philmelia, Martha, Emma and Frank W. Mr. Dart was the first Moderator in his school district, in the organization of which he assisted, and has been active in those enterprises calculated for the general good. He was Township Assessor seven years, and in politics votes with the Democratic party.
OHN A. McMURRAY resides on section 15, Liberty Township, where he has a very fine farm of 320 acres devoted to the purposes of farming and stock-raising. But few years have passed since this section of the country was claimed for the habitation of white men, its natural resources being recognized by the Government. There is an abundant water supply furnished by the numerous streams and creeks which traverse it, and the soil is of such a character that it will bear cultivation without lessening materially the qualities necessary to produce abundant harvests. The greatest need of this section seems to be occasioned by the scarcity of trees, they being rarely found except along the banks of the creeks, and in the groves planted by a few enterprising farmers who recognized the need of them. No more fruitful country could be imagined, and no more perfect could be desired, unless by some one who is habitually discontented with all the gifts of the Creator.
To this county our subject came in March, 1883, when the labors of the earliest settlers had made a marked improvement, and he lived for one summer in Liberty, after which he settled on his present farm in November. He was born on the 14th of February, 1841, in Washington County, N. Y., and is a son of William McMurray, a native of the same county and State. He was early acquainted with the duties of farm life, and the instruction which he received from his rather having been well received and remembered, has enabled him to bring his farm to its present fine condition. It has occasionally been said that a man without education can successfully follow the pursuit of agriculture, but if that saying has been proved true in a few instances, it is not true as a rule, for on the farm as well as in any of the learned professions knowledge is power. A scientific farmer is able to analyze the soil which he means to cultivate, and he is able to tell sufficient of its character to know which seeds will receive most nourishment from it, and what kinds of crops to plant. He knows the best season for sowing and reaping the various grains, and it he has fruit trees, he understands the pruning of them as well as the mulching of his vines and shrubbery.
In order then to become a successful farmer, our subject received first the instruction from the common schools, and then attended the Argyle Academy in his native county, receiving thereby a good preparation for business life. In March, 1868, he left his county and moved to Jasper County, Iowa, where he lived until he came to his present farm. He was married, on the 12th of February, 1862, to Mary J. McFadden, a daughter of Isaiah McFad-
756 GAGE COUNTY
den (deceased), and they have reared a family of six children. William J. being called from them in his sixteenth year. just as he was bordering on early manhood. The surviving members of the family are: Margaret T., Lawrence N., Frankie M., George and Arthur. Margaret married Eugene Abbott, of Humboldt. Kan., and has one child named Hal; Frankie M. married J. R. Spicer.
Mr. and Mrs. McMurray are leading members of the United Presbyterian Church, the former having acted in the capacity of Deacon in that church for several years. As a successful farmer, and as a Christian man and enterprising citizen, he is worthy the esteem which is accorded him by his friends and neighbors.
ONATHAN SHARP is the owner of a very fine farm, some 200 acres in extent, situated on sections 1 and 2. Liberty Township, and containing some of the best agricultural land in the county. It is devoted to the raising of all kinds of cereals, and also stock. He was born in Claiborne County, Tenn., June 13, 1826, and is the son of George and Agnes (Kirk) Sharp, who were natives of Vermont and Virginia respectively. His father served throughout the War of 1812 in company with a brother. He is now deceased.
Our subject was reared and educated in his native county. He went to Christian County, Ill., in the fall of 1864, and in the spring of the following year came to this county and bought his present farm, and has since continued to reside upon it. At the time of settlement our subject was almost alone, as there were but two other families in the county. The nearest place of supply and post-office was Pawnee, a distance of twenty miles. Our subject paid the expense of establishing a post-office at Liberty in the fall of 1866, and Pleasant Johnson was appointed to take charge of the same. Indians were numerous and not always honest; at one time our subject almost precipitated trouble among them in his anxiety to recapture a horse they had stolen.
The conveniences of residence under such circumstances as the above can be appreciated when it is remembered that in later days, when the country was better settled, our subject when he desired to go to mill went either to Marysville, Kan., or Table Rock, Neb., a distance of twenty-two miles in the one case and twenty-seven in the other. He became the owner of a small grocery store at Beatrice, capable of containing, perhaps, one wagon-load of stock, sufficient, however, for the new cabins of that place.
Our subject was married, on the 8th of January, 1846, to Margaret E. Lynch, a daughter of Aaron Lynch (deceased), and there have been given to them twelve children, of whom eleven live, whose names are given as follows: Martha, Susan, Sarah, Cordelia, Ella, Lizzie, William, Nicholas. Lewis, Nathaniel and George. For about two years our subject held the office of Assessor, and filled the chair of Justice of the Peace for eleven years. He is a very earnest member of the Baptist Church. Usually Mr. Sharp votes the Republican ticket, and is active in behalf of that party, but at the same time is very careful, especially in local matters, to aid in the election only of good men, being swayed in his decision by what appears to be the people's interest.
Lewis B. Sharp, son of the above, was born in Claiborne County. Tenn., on the 20th of November, 1855, and came to this place with his father in the year 1865, and has resided here ever since. He is at present engaged as a clerk in the mercantile business in Liberty, where he has been for about seven years. Previous to that time he had been engaged in farming. He is the owner of 240 acres of valuable land, and possesses character and personal qualities that would warrant the assumption that the future has greater things in store for this enterprising and able young man.
ON. NATHAN K. GRIGGS, senior member of the law firm of Griggs & Rinaker, stands among the prominent men of this county, who have made their mark not only in the profession, but as business men and citizens, without whose enterprise and public spirit the city of Beatrice would by no means have attained its present importance. Mr. Griggs is in the prime of life, a native of Indiana, and was born in Frank-
GAGE COUNTY 757
fort, the county seat of Clinton County, Oct. 25, 1844. The second in a family of four children, he is the son of Lucien D. and Mary T. (Kirk) Griggs, the former a native of Connecticut and the latter of Ohio. The parents were married in Clinton County, Ind., and were among the pioneers of that State. The father was one of the most prominent attorneys of Indiana, and continued in his profession until his death at Frankfort, in 1848. The mother is still a widow, lives in Beatrice, and is still seemingly quite a young woman.
The boyhood of our subject was passed at the old homestead in Indiana, and at an early age he evinced a disposition for study, and more than ordinary mental capacities. After emerging from the district school, where he had made so good a use of his time and opportunities, that he was able to take charge of several advanced schools, he entered the law department of the University of Indiana, from which he was graduated in the spring of 1867. Immediately after leaving the university, in the early spring of 1867, he came to Pawnee County, this State, and in the month of June following selected the city of Beatrice as his future scene of operations. Opening a law office he commenced the practice of his profession, combining with it the duties again of a pedagogue and also a collector. In due time he established himself in the banking business, associating himself with a partner, Mr. Webb, the latter atttending (sic) mostly to the duties of the bank, while Mr. Griggs pursued his law practice.
These gentlemen continued together until 1874, when our subject withdrew from the bank. In 1871 he formed a law partnership with Capt. W. H. Ashby, the late candidate of the Democratic party of Gage County for Senator, which partnership. continued until 1875. Mr. Griggs then continued his law business alone until 1876, when he was appointed by Gen. Grant Consul to Germany. The duties of this office occupied his time until the fall of 1882, at which time he recrossed the Atlantic homeward, and returning to Beatrice formed a partnership with H. J. Dobbs, and continued the practice of law with him until 1884, when the latter was appointed Register of the United States Land Office. In August, 1885, he associated himself with his present partner, Samuel Rinaker, son of the well-known Gen. Rinaker, of Macoupin County, Ill., and the firm has already a good proportion of the choice legal business of the county. The firm is a strong one, both members being men of more than ordinary legal talent.
The marriage of Hon. Nathan K. Griggs and Miss Epsie E. Saunders, of Delhi, Iowa, was celebrated at the bride's home, Dec. 21, 1869. Mrs. Griggs was born in Rochester, N. Y., and is the daughter of Charles and Eliza Saunders, who were natives of England. and later became residents of Ohio. Both are now dead. Of this union there have been born three children, two daughters and a son--Nelly K.. Era E. and Dora M. The family residence is located on the corner of Fifth and Elk streets, in the business part of the city, and with its surroundings forms a home in every way suitable to the means and standing of the proprietor.
In 1871 Mr. Griggs was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention from the Twelfth Senatorial District. Two years later he was elected State Senator from the same district, and at the expiration of this term of office was re-elected, his district extending from the eastern line of Gage County to the western line of the State. During the last session of the Senate he was unanimously elected its President. While holding this position he was unanimously chosen by the Legislature as a member of the Board of the Deaf and Dumb institution at Omaha, and then received the unanimous vote for President of the institution, only withdrawing upon his appointment as Consul to Germany. He has been five times elected President of State Republican Conventions, and thus his party politics are sufficiently indicated. In 1883 he was a candidate for the nomination of Judge of the Supreme Court, but was defeated by Judge Reese.
Mr. Griggs has for many years been warmly interested in the principles of Masonry, and for a period of five years was Master of the lodge at Beatrice, being its first presiding officer, and delivered two addresses before the Grand Lodge of Nebraska, which were highly commended by the brethren. A man of extraordinarily fine tastes and a great lover of music, he has evinced more than
758 GAGE COUNTY
ordinary devotion to this art. As a composer he has published a large number of songs in sheet music, both in New York and Chicago, and has at the present time quite an extended composition in the hands of the publishers, which his friends anticipate will be a little beyond the ordinary.
Our subject was one of the original appraisers of the school lands of this county, in connection with William Blakely and Luther P. Chandler, the latter then Sheriff of Gage County, but now a resident of Roseburg, Ore. Mr. Chandler, during the late war, participated in the conflict as a soldier of the Union army, was captured by the rebels, and at different times confined in every Southern prison, from each of which he made his escape in spite of bloodhounds and the vigilance of his captors. At one time he spent weeks hiding in the marshes at Charleston, S. C., and finally escaped by swimming to a United States gunboat. During the association of our subject with Mr. Chandler there sprang up between them a warm friendship, which has continued to this day.
IDILLO H. DOBBS. Among the families identified with the pioneer history of Nebraska, and of those who have been constant, earnest and active throughout the period of its development, so far as their district was concerned, is that of the gentleman whose biography is here sketched. His home is situated upon section 14 of Rockford Township, and forms a beautiful, well-cultivated, and very fertile farm.
Our subject is the son of Joel and Sally Dobbs. They were both born in Buncombe County, N. C. The family ancestry is clearly and directly traced back to pre-Revolutionary times, to Scotch emigrants who settled in North Carolina generations ago, and from the first became identified with the country, its interests and institutions. Chensey Dobbs, the paternal grandfather of our subject, served seven years in the Revolutionary War, and when this was over settled in East Tennessee, where he became the father of a family of nineteen children, fourteen of whom arrived at years of maturity. Of these was Joel, the father of our subject, who was the eighteenth child born to his parents. He and three of his brothers were in the War of 1812, they serving as regimental blacksmiths under the command of Gen. Jackson, and had their full share of the hard knocks, hard fare and other hardships incidental to the bivouac, march and conflict.
The father of our subject after the war returned to Claiborne County, Tenn., where he was married in 1815, and whence he removed to Casey County, Ky., where his wife died in 1828, aged forty years. She was the mother of nine children, whose names are as subjoined: Hugh, Russell L., Barthenia, Anderson, Orleany, Fidillo H., William C., Archibald and Sally. A second marriage was contracted, the name of the lady being Elizabeth Langvill, and of this union seven children were born, five of whom they were permitted to bring up. From 1829 until April of 1837 the family resided in Indiana, from that on in the State of Missouri. Mr. Dobbs, Sr., always worked in the blacksmith-shop, and was very successful, leaving at his death in the year 1842 an estate of about $20,000.
The date of the birth of our subject is given as the 4th of March, 1823, and his native place Casey County, Ky. At the age of six years he accompanied his parents to Indiana. He had even at that early age begun to lay the foundation of an education, living attended one of the Kentucky schools. Educational advantages in Indiana were limited to subscription schools, and were confined to three months' teaching per annum. When young Dobbs reached the age of fourteen years the family removed to Missouri, a trip most thoroughly enjoyed by our subject, who was then at an age fully to appreciate such an expedition. He carried his rifle the entire distance, for the most part walking near the wagon, unless called aside by some object of sport that brought into play his skill as a marksman.
The introduction to Missouri was to our subject also an introduction to the sterner realities of life. Under the tuition of his father he learned the blacksmith trade and also farming. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" was then and still is true, and in order to escape the dread at of the
GAGE COUNTY 759
proverb, the few hours that he could call his own from time to time were employed in hunting, and many a deer has fallen before his rifle muzzle. For about five or six years he devoted from perhaps three to six months in school teaching, at which he was very successful. He offered himself for service in the Mexican War, but was not accepted because the ranks were already filled.
Mr. Dobbs was united in marriage, Aug. 1, 1847, with Miss Mary Jane Shullenbarger, a daughter of Jacob and Susan (Simeon) Shullenbargar, who were of German descent, but the father a native of North Carolina, and the mother of Butler County, Ohio. They were married in Indiana, from which State they removed first to Iowa, and finally to Missouri. Their family included twelve children, whose names are recorded as follows: Mary Jane, John F., Henry S., Catherine, William M., Sophia, Lucy, Daniel M., Ellen, Joseph L., Louis, and one who died in infancy unnamed. The wife of our subject was born on the 20th of August, 1831, in Randolph County, Ind. While quite small she accompanied her parents to Dubuque, Iowa. When she was thirteen years of age the family started for Arkansas, but stopped at Springfield, Mo., and there formed the acquaintance of our subject in 1845. The following year the daughter Mary became a pupil in the school of our subject, and in 1847 they were married.
After their marriage the young couple settled in Southern Missouri, but after five years removed to the northwestern part of the State. The occupation of our subject was that of farming, but owing to a severe sickness, which lasted four years, he could not make much progress. In 1856 he went to Kansas, but on account of hostilities there he soon returned to Missouri, remaining two years. On the 9th of August, 1858, he came into Nebraska Territory, and located a claim on Mud Creek in this county. In March of the following year he took up his residence there. with his family, bringing with him his possessions, which, in his own expressive phrase, were "mighty little." Upon the 12th of May, 1859, Mr. Dobbs removed to his present farm. The only time he has left this home was upon the occasion of the Indian massacre of August, 1864; but he soon returned, and has since continued his uninterrupted residence here, he homesteaded his claim upon the 5th of August, 1863, and it was among the very first granted.
Mr. Dobbs is justly proud of his connection with the pioneer history of Nebraska, and has anxiously but gladly watched the State and county develop their resources in response to the labor of the incoming settlers. While the State has been developing, the family of our subject also grew until his children numbered eleven, who were named William J., Hugh J., Susan C. (who died at the age of thirteen months), Russell L., Sarah J., Louisa F., Joel B., Josephine, John A.. Thomas F. and Lucy A.
Our subject was one of the men who voted for the adoption of the State Constitution in 1860, and also in 1866. He has served as County Commissioner and in a number of other offices, educational and political, and has conscientiously labored for the best interests of his fellow-citizens, it is his belief that every citizen should fully inform himself regarding the political issues and reform measures of the age, then with that knowledge to exercise his right of ballot. He is a Republican, and in 1844 voted for Henry Clay, in 1848 for Taylor; from that time until 1864 he voted the Democratic ticket, but since then has in every instant handed in a straight Republican ballot. Mr. Dobbs still owns the old homestead of 160 acres, and looks upon it with both pride and affection. He regards it as a gift from his country, and says "I always thought more of a present than anything else I owned." His log cabin, built in 1865, still stands, and this too has a place in his affections, being held in that peculiar respect accorded the relics that are part of the life of former days. The benevolence of Mr. and Mrs. Dobbs is proverbial, and those needing rest and refreshments have seldom been turned empty-handed from their door. They are widely and favorably known for the beauty of their lives, the consistency of their actions, and their liberal hospitality.
Mr. and Mrs. Dobbs have for a long period been members of the Baptist Church, at Beatrice, and for twenty years our subject has served as Deacon. He has also been prominently identified with Sunday-school work, having organized the first Baptist Sunday-school in the county of which he was Super-
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller