760 GAGE COUNTY
intendent for ten years, and with his wife is still numbered among the most efficient and devoted Christians and workers in the community.
In the view of the homestead of Mr. Dobbs, and which will be found on another page, is perhaps illustrated better than any words which we can employ the skill and industry of the proprietor as an agriculturist, and his good judgment in the investment of the capital he acquired by his persevering toil.
RANCIS M. BARNES, whose home and farm are situated on section 36, Barneston Township, is one who has been upon the frontier for many years, and has watched with satisfaction and pride the phenomenal development and growth of the State. He was born in the city of Baltimore, Md., upon the 1st of May, 1832, and is the son of William and Linda Barnes, natives of Carroll County, of the same State. His father, now deceased, was by trade a millwright, and was considered a thoroughly competent and skilled workman. He removed to St. Louis, Mo., in 1842, and there followed his calling until his death, which occurred in the year 1855.
Our subject attended the St. Louis city schools, and there laid the foundation upon which he has since been building his life interests. He developed an aptitude for study, and made fairly rapid progress. Upon leaving school he worked for three years at ship carpentering, and in 1854 went to Kansas City, where he engaged in transfer business. Four years later he came to this State, and settled in Richardson County. There he followed freighting and general farming until about 1870, when he came to this county and settled upon his present property.
The land purchased by our subject belonged to the Otoe (Missouri) Confederate band of Indians, who occupied the land here for twenty-five miles east and west, and ten north and south. They sold a portion in 1876-77. The reservation then extended two miles into Kansas, being ten miles north and south, and six and three-quarters east and west. For eleven years he lived here among the Indians, engaged in farming and mercantile transactions at the Otoe Agency, where Barneston now stands, and for over ten years enjoyed quite a large and lucrative trade, mostly from the Indians, all the time carrying on his farming, and at different times giving attention to stock-raising. He owns 240 acres on Mission Creek, mostly excellent bottom land, well adapted to his purpose.
Upon the 16th of November, 1856, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Jane Dripps, daughter of Andrew and Mary Dripps. The former is deceased. She was born at Bellevue, in this State, upon the 15th of November, 1829. Their family circle included seven children, five of whom are living. The names given them are as follows: William, Charles G., Emmett F., Frederick H. and Katie. Emmett was united in marriage to Nannie Kirkendall, of Barneston, and resides in Barneston; they are the parents of one child, to whom has been given the name Harold; Katie is happily married to Charles Warren, of Barneston.
During the late war our subject expressed the patriotism and love of the old flag and the Union that burned within him by helping to raise two companies of well-drilled men for the United States service. Among the various fraternities our subject is quite well known, being a member of the A. O. U. W., the I. O. O. F., and also the Masonic fraternity. In each he is received as a true and worthy brother, and is held in respect and high regard. The political sentiments of our subject are in harmony with those of the Democratic party, of which for many years he has been a member.
ACOB LEWIS is successfully engaged in the pursuit of agriculture and stock-raising on his farm on section 23, Blue Springs Township. He was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, on the 15th of August, 1847, and is a son of Daniel and Catharine Lewis, the former of whom was a native of Maryland and the latter of Ohio. The father was taken by his parents to Ohio, where he grew to manhood and married the mother of our subject, and engaged in farming. Our subject spent his early life on his father's farm, and in
GAGE COUNTY 761
the years devoted to the acquisition of an education he attended the common schools and diligently applied himself that he might be prepared for a successful future. When the time came for him to devote himself entirely to labor his hands performed the routine tasks of the farm life, while his mind developed and strengthened and absorbed the teachings in common with those of all loyal citizens, and thus the time passed until the breaking out of the Civil War.
Filled with the fire and enthusiasm of healthy young manhood, and sympathizing with his country in the time of her great need, our subject wished to give evidence of his loyalty and courage, and went to enlist in the service. But what a disappointment to him to find his willing offer rejected because he was under age and had not yet attained the full measure of manhood's stature, He recovered from the disappointment as best he could, and continued his vocation, in which he was successful. In February, 1885, he came to this county, making his home in Blue Springs Township, where he now owns eighty acres of good farming land, on which he has made many improvements, and is giving his attention to farming and stock-raising. He is well and comfortably situated, his house and farm buildings in good order and supplied with many of the modern conveniences which so facilitate the labor of the farm, and his surroundings of a pleasing and attractive nature.
On. the 29th of January, 1873, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Fetty, who is a daughter of Nimrod and Harriet Fetty, and was born in Fayette County, Ohio, on the 18th of April, 1855. Her parents were natives of Ohio and Maryland, and she grew to womanhood under the shelter of their roof, perfecting herself in womanly accomplishments and virtues that she might fill a useful station in life. She is the mother of five children, named Pliny R., Clinton, Roy B., Glenn and Laura, the oldest of whom are already beginning to lift some of the smaller burdens from the shoulders of their kind and considerate parents. Our subject is well known and respected as a member of the Masonic fraternity, his life and conduct being in accordance with the principles advocated by that honorable order, and he and his wife are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Blue Springs. He is a member of the Republican party in polities, but is not aggressive and does not seek office from the hand of party or power, preferring to lead a more retired life in the shelter and seclusion of his own home rather than endure time trials and animosities consequent upon a political life.
M. OSTENDORF, one of the most popular men of Gage County, operates the Douglas Ranch of 640 acres, owned by Smith Bros., of Beatrice. He is a self-made man in the strictest sense of the term. Through the disadvantages surrounding his early life, he struggled manfully upward, and occupies a good position among his fellow-citizens. Although of limited education, he has kept his eyes open to what was going n around him in the world, and is thoroughly well informed, especially in regard to the interests with which he is at present connected.
The Ostendorfs are noted for their physical strength and symmetry, being large and handsome, and invariably attracting attention wherever found. Our subject was born in Germany, Sept. 8, 1854, and was the second in a family of four children. His father came with his family to America in 1858, and followed farming as before in his native country. He settled in Nebraska in 1887, and is now, with his estimable wife, a resident of Holt County, this State. They are aged sixty and fifty-seven years, respectively.
Mr. Ostendorf entered upon the serious business of life at the early age of fifteen years. Upon reaching manhood he was married, June 17, 1876, to Miss Belle Parker, who was born in Brown County, Ill., Oct. 24, 1858, and is the fifth in a family of nine children. Mr. and Mrs. O. lived in Illinois about six years, then moved to Washington County, Kan., where they lived one winter. In the spring of 1882 they became residents of this county. They lived in Logan Township several years, and until Mr. Ostendorf was proffered his present position.
To our subject and wife there were born seven
762 GAGE COUNTY
children, viz.: Isaac, Oliver, Johnnie, Maggie, William, Fred and Eddie. Mr. O., politically, is for the most part an advocate of Democratic doctrines, although he votes independently. He has always been a reader, and at one period in his life obtained quite a local reputation as a debater. He possesses considerable skill as a machinist, and in former years operated a threshing-machine fourteen summers. Douglas Ranch gives employment to five men, two two-horse teams and three three-horse teams. It requires no small amount of tact and ability to carry it on successfully, but Superintendent Ostendorf has proved himself equal to the emergency..
R. DODDS, editor and publisher of the Wymore Democrat, is proprietor of the oldest paper in this part of Gage County. It is Democratic in politics, and is conducted in that business-like manner which has made it popular and placed its editor among the front ranks of journalists in Southern Nebraska.
The branch of the Dodds family to which our subject belongs emigrated from Scotland to the North of Ireland, and from there to the United States, locating in the Abbeville District, near Charleston, S. C., where James Dodds married Miss Marietta Craig. The male members of the family took an active part in the Revolutionary War under the direct command of Gen. Washington, and Mrs. Dodds, remaining on the plantation, had a full view of Cornwallis and his army.
In 1795 the plantation was sold, and the Dodds family started for Caldwell County, Ky., where Mrs. Margaret Dodds arrived some time later, her journey having been sadly interrupted by the death of her husband and only daughter, who died before passing the State line in South Carolina. The mother was accompanied by her five sons, and after a comparatively brief sojourn in Kentucky changed her location to Sangamon County, Ill., where two of her sons, Joseph and Rev. Gilbert Dodds, were already located. She died in Illinois, Jan. 17, 1846, aged ninety-seven.
Joseph Dodds, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was born May 28, 1785, in Abbeville District, S. C., and was married to Mattie Drennan, May 3, 1810. They had eleven children, three born in Kentucky and the others in Illinois. Among these children was William Drennan Dodds, the father of our subject, and the eldest of the family. He was born Sept. 18, 1811, in Caldwell County, Ky., and married Miss Mary Eads, in Sangamon County, Ill., Sept.. 18, 1834. In the fall of that year he, in company with his father-in-law, William D. Eads, crossed the Mississippi at Old Flint Hills, where the city of Burlington, Iowa, now stands. He was the leading pioneer of that region, blazing his track along the banks of Flint River, and his eldest son, William E., is the oldest native citizen of the State of Iowa. Here sixteen children were born to William and Mary Dodds, nine sons and seven daughters.
Joseph R. Dodds, the fourth child of his parents, was born Jan. 1, 1841, and was married to Sarah E. Mains, Feb. 7, 1861. They became the parents of five children, the eldest of whom, a son, died when thirteen months old. Mary L., the eldest daughter, was born Sept. 18, 1865, and married Charles T. Taylor, of Corning, Mo.: they have two children, Guy D. and Beach B., and are now residents of Wymore, this county. Carrie R. was married at Wymore to J. N. Howland, and they are residents of Plattsmouth, being the parents of two children--Harry L. and Jessie C. Lulu A. was married to Arthur W. Fischer, of Wymore, and became the mother of one child, whom they named Vistani L., and died when the latter was one week old; the little girl and her father reside with Mr. Dodds. Cyrene E., the youngest daughter, is the wife of James Murphy, of Wymore, a young man who has held the responsible position of private secretary to C. D. Rodgers, Superintendent of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad at this place.
The second year of the war Mr. Dodds enlisted in the Union Army at Burlington, Iowa, Sept. 21, 1862, and served three years and one day. After resuming the duties of citizenship he became a railroad agent and telegraph operator, and was thus occupied thirteen years. He came to Wymore in May, 1881, interested himself at once in the upbuilding of the city, and on the 12th of May, 1882,
GAGE COUNTY 763
issued the first number of the Wymore Eagle from the basement of the Citizens' Bank building, which was erected by him, and was the first brick structure in the city. In the fall of that year he purchased the old Gage County Leader, consolidated it with the Eagle, and later merged the two into the Wymore Democrat. then as now the leading paper of Southern Nebraska. He took an active part in opening up the Otoe Reservation adjoining the city, and which for years had been controlled by a syndicate of plunderers. The mother of our subject died June 1, 1886, and the father April 30, 1888.
DWARD ROBERTS is successfully engaged in farming and stock-raising on section 28, Barneston Township, where he has a fine farm of 360 acres, a view of which is shown in this work. He is a native of Wales, and was born on the 26th of May, 1833, in the town of Mioneth, where he remained until he was about thirty-one years old. In March, 1868, he left his native country with the intention of seeking a home in the United States, and after a long voyage on the water he arrived safely on American soil. He first made his home in Dodge County, Wis., thence went to Iowa County, Iowa, in the following year, in which latter place he remained for about eleven years. In March, 1880, he came to this county and made his home where he now lives, having become the owner of 360 acres of well-improved land in Barneston Township, besides some property in Blue Springs. He has been extensively engaged in farming and stock-raising, in which business he has been very prosperous, having improved his land by the exercise of much diligence and hard labor from the primitive condition of wild prairie land.
Our subject is the son of Robert E. and Jane Roberts, who were the parents of seven children, named as follows: Robert J., deceased, and buried in the churchyard in Barneston Township; Catharine resides in Wales; Edward, our subject; Guan and Richard, also in Wales; John and Ellen, in Barneston Township. All were born in Wales. Robert and Catharine are only half brother and sister; their father's name was Robert Jones.
In the year 1858 our subject was united in marriage with Miss Jane Roberts, who was a daughter of Ellis Roberts, and was born in Wales. She became the mother of one child, a daughter, Ellen, but our subject was soon bereft of her companionship, her death occurring while he was a resident of his native country, and he came to the United States, bringing his motherless daughter Ellen. His daughter married Robert J. Jones, of Marshall County, Kan., and has one child, named Edward R. Our subject was a second time married, in the fall of 1873, to Mrs. Mary Jones, who was born in Wales, in 1841. Her parents, William and Elizabeth Jones, were natives of Wales, and died in their native land.
Our subject and his wife, are the parents of five children, on whom they have bestowed the names Robert, Edward, Jane, Lizzie and Evan. Mrs. Roberts is the mother of a son by her first marriage, John P. Jones, a native of Wales. Besides giving close attention to the improvement of his farm and the raising of stock, our subject has taken an important part in the public affairs of his township, and has borne a share of the public honors. In the fall of 1887 he was elected Supervisor of the township, and had previously been Road Supervisor for two years. He is widely known as an industrious and enterprising business man, who has made a success of his vocation and has won the esteem and confidence of his fellowmen. He is a prominent member of the Welsh Presbyterian Church, and both he and his wife are popular in society circles.
OBERT LITTLEJOHN, a well-to-do farmer of Hanover Township, who is comfortably located on section 10, was born in the town of Kilburnie, Ayrshire, Scotland, Nov. 10, 1857. When a child three years of age he came to America with his parents and his brother David. Of the latter a sketch will be found elsewhere in this volume.
The parents of our subject settled in Morgan County, Ill., and the latter when a boy was employed in the coal mines at Alton. He grew to man's estate in that county, and was married, in
764 GAGE COUNTY
1882, to Miss Jennie, daughter of William Schultz. Mrs. Littlejohu was born in Wisconsin, Oct. 4, 1854, and is the youngest of a family of seven children. Her mother died when she was but one year old, and her father died when she was a little girl of seven. She was reared by her grandparents in Rock Island, Ill., and came to Nebraska with Mr. T. B. Essex. of Rockford Township, with whose family she remained until her marriage. Of this union there are two children--Bertha M. and an infant.
The farm of our subject embraces 320 acres of valuable land, which, with its buildings, its live stock and its machinery, forms one of the most valuable estates in this part of the county. Mr. LittleJohn possesses in a marked degree all the reliable qualities of a nationality which is reverted to with pardonable pride by every son of "bonnie" Scotland. He is a man of strict integrity, one whose word is considered as good as his bond. Mrs. Littlejohn is in every respect the suitable companion of such a man as her husband, a lady of more than ordinary intelligence, possessing all the womanly virtues, and a member in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically, Mr. L. is a stanch Republican.
EORGE WYMORE, a very successful market gardener of the village which bears his name, was born in Kentucky, Jan. 24, 1825, and remained with his parents until reaching his majority; then, starting out for himself, he commenced farming in Indiana. Later he moved to Iowa, and purchased eighty acres of new land, which he improved. He was there married to Miss Sarah J. Hollingsworth, and remained a resident of the Hawkeye State until 1861. Later he removed again, first to Kansas and then to Missouri, finally returning to Iowa, and thence came to Wymore in 1878, before the village had been laid out. He purchased land, and also took up other land in the county north of Odell, and after Wymore began to assume the semblance of a town established his market garden, and is now doing a very successful business, having a snug home and a good income.
He raises all kinds of fruits and vegetables, finding for them a ready market in the city.
To Mr. and Mrs. Wymore there were born eleven children, two of whom died unnamed. The others were: Robert J., Newton, Lillian G., Margaret J., William, Sarah E., George, Amanda and Oliver. Four of these are at home, namely: Robert, who is engaged in the grocery business; Oliver, Jane and Lillian. William is a resident of Kansas; he married a Miss Wymore, who is now deceased. George married Miss Alva Hollingsworth, and is the father of two children, and lives in Wymore Township; Margaret is the wife of Lewis Vanes, and a resident of Kansas; they have seven children. Amanda is the wife of W. R. Wymore, a resident of Iowa, and they have three children. Mr. Wymore and his family belong to the Christian Church.
Mrs. Sarah (Hollingsworth) Wymore was born in Iowa, in 1828, and is the daughter of John Hollingsworth. She received a common-school education, and lived with her parents until her marriage. Of this excellent lady her family was deprived by death in 1868, while they were residents of Missouri. She possessed more than ordinary strength of character, and performed life's duties in the most praiseworthy manner. Her death was greatly mourned by her family and friends. Her father removed from North Carolina to Illinois during its pioneer days, and a few years later to Iowa, where he carried on farming extensively. He finally removed to Chase County, Kan., where he died about 1876, and his wife two or three years later.
Samuel Wymore, the father of our subject, and also a native of Kentucky, was born about 1780. He left the Blue Grass regions while a young man, but had been married in Owen County to Miss Prudence Hadden, and they became the parents of eight children, all of whom lived to mature years. Mr. Wymore continued farming in Montgomery County, Ind., until his death, which occurred in 1843, when he had attained a little more than threescore years. The wife and mother survived her husband about ten years.
Mr. Wymore upon coming to this vicinity often saw wild game, and the country around bore little evidence of white settlement. He has been a very energetic and industrious man, and improved a
GAGE COUNTY 765
large amount of land, breaking, in Iowa alone, 200 acres, besides what he has accomplished in this line in Missouri and Nebraska. He has a neat residence, and about three acres of land.
HILLIP H. JAMES, a representative farmer and stock-raiser of Highland Township, was born in Pike County, Ill., July 4, 1842. His father, Samuel James, is now deceased, and his mother, Mrs. Catherine James, resides on the old homestead in the Buckeye State. They were both natives of Ohio, and the family is of English ancestry. The maternal grandfather served as a soldier during the early troubles between the Colonists and the mother country.
The father of our subject departed this life in January, 1862. The parental household included ten children, of whom the following survive, namely: John, a resident of Kansas; Phillip H., our subject; Gilbert, of Ohio; Samantha, Mrs. William Pratt, of Jackson County, that State; Mary B., Mrs. Nelson Anderson, also living in Ohio; David, of Lancaster County, this State, and Harriet, in Ohio.
Our subject was reared to manhood on a farm, acquiring his education in the common schools. On the 9th of July, 1861, he enlisted as a Union soldier in Company 1, 26th Ohio Infantry, this being assigned to the Army of the Cumberland. He fought in the battles of Shiloh, Murfreesboro, Corinth, Iuka, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and was at the siege of Knoxville. He veteranized at the expiration of his term of enlistment, remaining in the same regiment, and after a furlough rejoined his comrades, and participated in the Atlanta campaign, and fought in the battles of Franklin and Nashville, Tenn. He then accompanied the army in its tour of observation to Texas, and after the close of the war was mustered out, Oct. 25, 1865.
After his discharge Mr. James remained nearly a year in Texas, then returned to Ohio, and was married, in April, 1866, to Miss Catharine Kepler, who was born in that State, and who bore him six children, namely: David F., Alice, Ada, Cora, Samuel M. and Nellie. They lived in Ohio until 1870, then coming to Nebraska located in Nemaha County, and after living there one year came in the spring of 1872 to this county. Mr. James secured at once 160 acres of land on section 22, in Highland Township, settling upon it before a furrow had been turned, and being the first man to locate in his immediate neighborhood. He came to this section comparatively without means, and endured in common with the pioneers around him the hardships and privations of frontier life.
The homestead of Mr. James comprises 329 acres of good land, all of which is improved, and he has good buildings, together with the live stock and machinery, the necessary accessories of the modern and progressive farmer. He has been prominent in local affairs, and is a strict Republican in politics. He has served as Assessor of Highland Township for many years, still occupying the position. Socially, he belongs to the G. A. R. Post at Cortland. He is a man holding a good position in his community, and one whose opinions are uniformly respected.
OHN DWYER, commercial agent of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, and having his headquarters in the city of Beatrice, was born in Hamilton, Province of Ontario, Canada, July 21, 1856, being the eldest of ten children, five sons and five daughters, all living. The father, Stephen Dwyer, was also a native of the Dominion, and a farmer by occupation. The mother, Mrs. Nora (Gooley) Dwyer, was the daughter of Robert Gooley, Esq., a native of the same section of country.
In 1870 the subject of this sketch came with his parents to the United States, settling in Fairfield, Jefferson Co., Iowa, where the latter now reside on a farm. John obtained his education in the common school, and lived with his parents in Jefferson County, Iowa, until September, 1872, when he repaired to Burlington and entered the employ of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, in the meantime also learning telegraphy. Six months later he was given the position of ticket agent at Chariton. In September, 1873, still in the employ of this
766 GAGE COUNTY
road, he came to Nebraska and established a station at Greenwood. In October following he was transferred to Wilber, where he remained as agent until July, 1876. Thence he came to Beatrice, taking charge of the office at this place, and attending to both freight and passenger business until August, 1888. He was then appointed commercial agent, and has the supervision in his line of 1,300 miles of this road.
Mr. Dwyer was married, in June, 1884, to a very estimable lady, Miss Emma V., daughter of Job and Jane Buchanan, of Beatrice. Politically, Mr. Dwyer is a stanch member of the Democratic party, and socially, belongs to Benton Lodge No. 26, A. F. & A. M.; also to Livingston Chapter No. 10, and Mt. Hermon Commandery No. 7, K. T.
ON. E. O. KRETSINGER, Mayor of Beatrice, was born in Ogle County, Ill., July 3, 1858. His parents. Lewis and Caroline (Ziegler) Kretsinger, were born and reared in the State of Virginia, where they were married. Not long afterward they emigrated to Illinois, locating among the pioneer settlers of Ogle County, where the father became one of the most successful farmers in that part of the State. The parents are both living at the old homestead.
Our subject attended the district school in his native county during his boyhood days, and later pursued his studies at Mt. Morris about two years. He entered upon the study of law in the office of Judge E. J. Mitchell, of Boone, Iowa, and was admitted to the bar in 1879. In the spring of the year following he came to Beatrice, but later opened an office at Blue Springs, where he conducted a successful practice, and in 1882 was elected County Judge, serving four years. On the 1st of July, that year, he took up his residence in Beatrice, in order to enter upon the duties of his office.
Upon retiring from the bench Judge Kretsinger resumed his law practice in Beatrice, and in April, 1886, was elected Mayor of the city, in which position he acquitted himself creditably and with satisfaction to all concerned, proof of which is given in the fact that he was re-elected in 1888. The marriage of Mayor Kretsinger with Miss B. L. Teleringtin, of Rock Island, Ill., took place in December, 1881, and they have one child, a son, Storey O.
ACOB BOND, a leading grain buyer and shipper of Cortland, was born in Stephenson County, III., Dec. 15, 1854. His parents were Thomas and Catherine Bond, who were natives of Northampton County, Pa., and are now residents of Wilber, this State. His paternal grandfather, Jacob Bond, was also a native of the Keystone State, and said to have been of Welsh-English origin.
The parents of our subject were blessed with a large family of children, five only of whom survive, namely: Sarah, the wife of William Keller, of Junction City, Kan.; Hattie S., Mrs. B. F. Eyer, of Cortland, this county; Jacob, our subject; Rosa, Mrs. W. L. Hauck, of Wilber; and Emma I., the wife of O. T. Keller, also of Wilber. Thomas Bond established in the mercantile business at Wilber in the spring of 1879, in which he has since been successfully occupied, having a good trade. While a resident of Illinois he was a Commissioner of Stephenson County, and politically, he is a stanch Republican. Socially, he belongs to the Masonic fraternity.
Our subject was reared to manhood in his native county, and pursued his education in the graded schools of Davis and Durand, Ill. In the fall of 1876 he entered Arnold Business College at Rockford, where he completed his education after an attendance of two terms, six months each. The year following he was married, Dec. 25, 1877, in Stephenson County, to Miss Mary A. Kurtz, a native of Center County, Pa., and the daughter of Levis Kurtz, who later became a resident of Stephenson County, Ill. Of this union there were born two children: Beulah B., now deceased, and Ray T.
In the spring of 1879 Mr. Bond came to Nebraska and engaged in the mercantile business with his father, with whom he continued about five years. He came to Cortland in the spring of 1884, as soon as the town was started, and was one of its
GAGE COUNTY 767
pioneer merchants. He sold out two years later, however, and turned his attention to the grain trade. He handles annually about 300,000 bushels, the bulk of this being corn and oats, and ships principally to Chicago.
Mr. Bond is serving his third term as Village Clerk of Cortland, to which office he was elected in the spring of 1885. Politically, he is a stanch Republican. He possesses considerable musical talent, being one of the organizers of the Cortland Brass Band, and is now its Treasurer. He is a stirring business man, and is doing well financially.
ENRY D. BIXLER, of Glenwood Township, is numbered among its most public-spirited and enterprising men. He has a good farm of 160 acres, whereon he settled in the fall of 1885, and gives his attention largely to stock-raising, although his fertile fields yield a goodly proportion of the other rich products of this section.
David Bixler, the father of our subject, was a native of Maryland, and married Miss Magdalena Grover, who was born in Germany, and came to America with her parents when a little child two years of age. David Bixler and his wife are now residents of Cedar County, Iowa. Their family consisted of four children, all sons, of whom Henry D. was the third in order of birth. His native place was Stark County, Ohio, where he first opened his eyes to the light March 1, 1848. From the time he was nine years old he was reared upon a farm, and made his home with his parents until a man of twenty-five. In the meantime they had moved to Iowa, and he purchased a farm in Cedar County, adjoining his father's homestead, upon which he lived for a time, then sold it and purchased another in that vicinity.
With the exception of four years spent in a creamery at Clarence, Iowa, our subject has been continuously engaged in farming pursuits. He was married in Jones County, Aug. 24, 1871, to Miss Martha Fortney. This lady was born in Pennsylvania, Dec. 6, 1852, and is the daughter of Benjamin and Cornelia (York) Fortney, the former of whom died in Fayette County. To Mr. and Mrs. Bixler there have been born two sons only--Walter I. and Warren O. Mr. B. is accounted one of the most reliable men of his community, and votes the straight Republican ticket.
C. EMERY. Deputy Recorder of Gage County, was born in Lawrence, Kan., Dec. 23. 1860. His parents were Charles and Mary (Benson) Emery, the former a native of Augusta, Me., and the latter of Dublin, Ireland. The paternal grandfather was a lumberman by occupation, and traced his ancestry to England. He served as a soldier in the War of 1812.
The father of our subject emigrated to Kansas in 1853, during its pioneer days, and began freighting to Denver and west to the mountains. For further information of the family history see the sketch of Charles Emery on another page of this work. He came to Beatrice in 1870, when J. C. was a lad of ten years, and has since been a resident of this city, together with his excellent wife. They are aged fifty-eight and fifty-three years respectively. Their family consisted of two sons: George, the County Clerk, and Jack C., of our sketch. Our subject attended the Catholic School at Atchison, and later accompanied his father in his freighting expeditions over the plains, enjoying the adventures connected therewith in a high degree. He came to this county in a wagon, riding a distance of 200 miles through a wild and romantic country, the scenes of which he often reverts to as one of the most interesting reminiscences of his life. After the family settled in Beatrice he attended the High School, and entered upon the more serious business of life in 1879 as Assistant County Clerk under Capt. Hill, who was this year (1888) candidate for State Treasurer.
Mr. Emery has been connected with the Recorder's office a number of years. He was married, in 1881, to Miss Helen, daughter of H. C. Jaymes, of Wymore Township. Mrs. Emery was born in Oshkosh, Wis., Jan. 3, 1863, and came to Beatrice in 1879. She received a good education, being a graduate of Wisconsin University. She is a very
768 GAGE COUNTY
amiable and estimable lady, and the little household has been increased by the birth of one child, a daughter, Mollie. Mr. Emery votes the straight Republican ticket, and in 1880 was Deputy County Treasurer.
ESSE R. THOMPSON, a settler of May, 1866, in Blakely Township, owns and occupies a farm of 160 acres taken as a homestead at the time mentioned, and pleasantly located on section 1. He has made good improvements and gives special attention to stock-raising, having Jersey red swine, good grades of cattle and fast trotting stock, including some very promising young horses, principally Hambletonians. In this industry he has been quite successful, and is rated among the substantial men of Gage County.
Mr. Thompson came to the State of Nebraska from Washington County, Iowa, where he had lived with his parents since a boy eight years of age. He was born near Danville, Highland Co., Ohio, Sept. 5, 1831, and is the son of James Thompson, a native of New York, of New England parentage and English descent. The latter emigrated to Ohio when a young man, and was married in Highland County to Miss Mary Lander, who was born in Lower Canada, of German parents. The maternal grandfather of our subject served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and lived to be one hundred and ten years old, preserving to the last a large portion of his remarkable physical strength.
The parents of our subject after their marriage settled on a farm in Highland County, Ohio, among the pioneers of that region, but in 1839 came to the farther West, locating on a tract of new land in Washington County, Iowa. Theme they spent the remainder of their days, the mother dying when forty-seven years old, and the father at the advanced age of eighty-eight. They were people of sterling worth, and the mother was a member of the Dunkard Church. Jesse R. was the youngest of two sons and three daughters, of whom there are living only himself and his sister, Mrs. Snyder, of Johnson County, Iowa.
Mr. Thompson lived in Iowa with his parents until a youth of eighteen years, then set out on his own account. He, however, selected his wife from one of the maidens of Washington County, Iowa, Miss Martha J. Bunker, a native of Wayne County, Ind., and who was born in 1836. Mrs. Thompson is the daughter of David and Marion (Hunt) Bunker, both of whom are now deceased, the father dying in Washington County, June 25, 1886, at the age of seventy-four years, and the mother also dying there in middle life. They likewise were among its pioneer settlers, and Mrs. Thompson was but a babe of six months when she was taken by her parents from her native State.
To our subject and his wife there have been born five children, two of whom, DeWitt C. and an infant unnamed, are deceased; David, the. eldest living, is at home with his parents, having the management of the farm; Maggie is the wife of Peter Goom, a farmer of Beatrice Township; Anna remains at home with her parents. Mr. Thompson belongs to Lodge No. 111, A. F. & A. M., at DeWitt, and David is identified also with the fraternity. Our subject, politically, is a solid Republican, and has held the various school offices of his district.
LINCOLN BURGESS, the veterinary surgeon of West Beatrice, and who has followed the practice of his profession successfully for along period, is a genuine New Englander, having been born on the Atlantic Coast in Calais, Me., Aug. 14, 1855. The first ten years of his life were spent in the Pine Tree State, where he attended the common school. His father, Rev. I. J. Burgess, was a minister of the Baptist Church, and born of English parents, in the West Indies.
When our subject was a lad of thirteen years his parents removed to Middlehoro, Mass., where he resided a period of ten years. Upon reaching man's estate he drifted westward to the home of his uncle, John Mime, in Minnesota, where he spent two years. Then returning to Middleboro, and desirous of brightening up his knowledge, he entered the High School, where he studied two years; later he engaged as book-keeper for the firm of Mime & McKenzie nearly three years. From this
GAGE COUNTY 769
place he went to the Connecticut hospital, where he studied medicine and spent three years and ten months. Later he studied a year with Prof. Blaisden, of Middletown, Conn., and one of the most noted veterinary surgeons of that region.
The three years following Dr. Burgess spent with his father-in-law, D. H. Smith, an extensive dealer in horses, who shipped from Indiana and the Canadas to the Eastern markets. In October, 1883, he came to Nebraska, bringing to Beatrice a herd of thirty-three head of fine Jersey cattle, which he disposed of here. From this time on he gave his entire attention to the practice of his profession, which extends throughout the city and into the country, and in which he has been successful. Not only does he treat the equine race, but also cattle and swine. He makes his headquarters in a convenient office at the corner of Court and LaSelle streets.
Dr. Burgess was married in Middletown, Conn., Aug. 14, 1878, to Miss Nellie R., daughter of D. H. Smith, of that place. Of this union there has been born one child only, a son, D. Julien, now (1888) seven years of age. The Doctor has been quite prominent in local affairs, and was elected the first Councilman of the Third Ward in West Beatrice. Socially, lie belongs to the Knights of Honor. His family connections are quite distinguished. His father is still living, making his residence at Walnut Hill, Mass. His brother, Isaac B., a finely educated gentleman, is a graduate of Brown University, and at present occupies the position of Latin Master at the Newport High School. His sister, Hattie B., is the wife of the Principal of Cohasset High School. Another sister, Mary H., has charge of one of the largest kindergardens in the city of Boston.
NDREW J. HALE, prominent among the extensive farmers and stock-raisers of Gage County, and at present a resident of Beatrice, was born in Chittenden County, Vt., near the town of Burlington, March 8, 1842. His parents, Stephen and Mary (Luce) Hale, were natives respectively of New Hampshire and Vermont, and Andrew J. was their only child. He spent his boyhood and youth in his native county, attending first the common school, and later entered Fairfax Institute, where he spent three years. At the expiration of this time he entered the Albany Law School, from which he was graduated with honors and admitted to the bar.
In the summer of 1867 Mr. Hale turned his face toward the farther West, coming to this State, and first taking up his abode in Nebraska City, of which he remained a resident a period of ten years, engaged in a successful law practice. From there he came to Beatrice, and acquitted himself creditably among his legal brethren until his retirement from the profession in 1886. Since that time he has given his attention to the breeding of fine horses, and has become quite an extensive land-owner, having purchased three farms in this county. He has five horses of fine Kentucky stock, and some seven head which are devoted entirely to breeding purposes. He exhibits some of the handsomest and most valuable animals in Southern Nebraska.
Mr. Hale was first married, in 1864, to Miss Irene Powel, who died three years later, leaving two children, a son and daughter, Stephen Fremont and Laura. Of his present marriage there have been born two children--Clyde H. and Helen H. He is a man generally respected in his community, and possessed of more than ordinary capabilities. He keeps himself well posted on political matters, and uniformly votes the Republican ticket. The main farm of 320 acres lies about eleven miles from the city, and besides his horses Mr. Hale has a fine herd of Short-horn cattle. He has developed the qualities essential to the successful stock-raiser, and in connection with this industry has contributed in no small degree to the reputation of this section of country. While having large personal interests to absorb his mind and time, he has the reputation of a liberal and public-spirited citizen.
The parents of our subject remained at their old home in the Green Mountain State until 1878, then, making the long journey to the home of their son, our subject, lived with him until their decease, the father passing away in 1885, at the age of eighty-seven years, and the mother in 1886, when seventy-six years old. Mr. Hale, Sr., was a man of fine business capacities, and speculated considerably. in lands.
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller