NEGenWeb Project - Box Butte County
Who's Who in Nebraska, 1940
BOX BUTTE COUNTY
By F. M. Broome
FORMER years all the western half of Nebraska constituted one vast territory which subsequently was subdivided into various counties and those more closely identified with what was known as the Box Butte country were Dawes and Sioux Counties.
During the years 1884 and 1885, among settlers coming into the section now comprising Box Butte County, was the family of W. A. Bissell who located a homestead in the northeast section. This extended from the Niobrara river in the central eastern section of the former Dawes County of which Chadron was the county seat. Their homestead was situated near the base of a high butte formed by nature during past centuries. On top of this butte was a formation resembling a large square box.
It was Mrs. Bissell who conceived the idea that at some time in the near future a new county would be formed and the name of Box Butte would be more lasting and appropriate than the name of some man who had climbed to fame. She circulated the fact throughout various settlements until the title Box Butte was firmly entrenched in minds of the entire territory.
Building of the Burlington and C&NW Railroads was being pushed westward. All the land throughout the territory was owned by the federal government and thrown open to homestead entry. The one United States land office at which land filings could be made for the entire territory was at Valentine in Cherry County. Land departments for the two railroad companies interested in the future development of that section adopted the slogan "The Box Butte Country for Free Homes." Signs bearing this slogan were posted in depots and prominent places in Council Bluffs, Omaha and other cities. Crowds began pouring in and filing on homesteads at Valentine, the law at that time not requiring that the land must first be seen and inspected.
As an added inducement, the government allowed settlers to make pre-emption filings of 160 acres each and also a tree claim filing of 160 acres out of each section of land. Under these liberal terms more than three thousand settlers filed on claims within the territory afterward formed into Box Butte County. During the early spring of 1886, talk began taking tangible form and by summer citizens were prepared to circulate petitions requesting commissioners of Dawes County to incorporate the proposition on ballots to be voted at the November election in 1886.
At first there were three petitions. The Hemingford petition fixed the division line for north side of township 29 running east and west so that Hemingford would stand a better chance to be designated county seat. The new and small village of Nonpareil, situated six miles south of Hemingford, circulated a petition fixing the north border of township 28 as the dividing line in order to throw Nonpareil in center of the proposed new county. The third petition fixed the Niobrara river as the division line.
The Dawes County board favored the north line of township 28 for the reason that it would leave in Dawes County all the Niobrara river and adjoining valley, which at that time was considered a valuable asset.
When petitions were filed it was discovered Hemingford had two hundred more signatures than the Nonpareil petition. At noon the board adjourned for dinner leaving all papers on the table. Upon reassembling an error was discovered, a recount was made and the Nonpareil petition had a majority of 200 signatures. The order was made and recorded fixing the north line of township 28 for the division line which was adopted by a practically unanimous vote in the November election, 1886.
All actors to the transaction are now dead with no official record to show how the division line was adopted. This caused Nonpareil to be cast in center for the new county. Following official count of the vote, Governor John M. Thayer in a proclamation designated February 8, 1887 as the date for organizing Box Butte County by selection of a place for county seat and election of county officials to serve until the general election in November 1887. Both political parties held conventions and nominted (sic) a complete set of candidates.
In the special election in February, Nonpareil was selected county seat and the complete Republican ticket was elected. Citizens of Nonpareil subscribed money necessary to build a temporary building for a court house with offices for the officials and court room on the second floor. Attorney M. P. Kinkaid of O'Neill, having been elected judge for the entire judicial district in which the new county of Box Butte was situated, held first term of district court in the newly constituted county and thus was Box Butte County regularly and officially organized.
Building of the Burlington railroad west from Broken Bow had been pushed with much vigor and entered the new county of Box Butte early in 1888. The Lincoln Land Company, a Burlington auxiliary, had previously purchased from the state a school section in the extreme southeast comer of the county. The town of Alliance was platted on this section and February 1888 fixed as date for sale of town lots. As an inducement to purchasers, the company had agreed to locate the division point with all machine shops, roundhouse, etc., at Alliance.
It was understood that Hemingford would be the county seat and that Nonpareil would pass out of existence after the railroad had entered Alliance. These understandings were carried out and from that time until the present, growth of both Alliance and Hemingford has been steady and consistent. Every attempt to stimulate what is commonly termed a boom has been frowned upon and no encouragement has been given would-be promoters since the citizens all desire to assure solid and lasting improvements based upon conservative valuation.
The soil and climate of this section have their own peculiar characteristics. Records of previous years prove that with influx of settlers beginning in 1884 and 1885 the climate was emerging from a period of drouth going back to 1876 and entering rainy seasons lasting until in the early nineties when a period of drouth again came over the country. During the rainy period in the latter eighties, early settlers were fortunate in raising fine crops of everything grown in the temperate zone.
At the state fair in the fall of 1888, Box Butte County was awarded second prize for general display of varied products, the exhibits being gathered from lands cultivated by settlers thruout (sic) the county. Potatoes then raised largely on plowed sod, obtained for the county the title of premier potatoes for quality in all markets throughout the United States.
Homes for settlers during those days were built largely from native sod from which the term "soddies" first originated. The same material was used in barns and sheds for the livestock, with lumber necessary for roofing, floors, doors and windows being hauled from sawmills operating in the timber belt of Dawes County, commonly called Pine Ridge. Thus it was that settlers without much money were enabled to acquire at small cost homes made as comfortable as those in towns and cities. During those days acreages were more or less broken and cultivated upon every section of land in the county.
Beginning in 1890, '91 and '92 it became apparent that a drouth period would return and during those years the number of citizens was largely reduced. Many of them moved to other places they found inferior to Box Butte even with its period of drouth. Upon the return of rainy seasons, most of them came back either to rent or buy lands they formerly owned as homesteads. The country gradually recovered and when other periods of drouth prevailed people managed in some way to exist. At present all sections of the county are occupied by energetic and thrifty farmers with buildings and improvements not unlike those to be found in Iowa or Illinois. All those living upon the land and farming it are prospering.
As stated previously, the only government land office at which settlers could make entry on public lands was at Valentine. With rapid increase of settlers, the government established another land office at Chadron. Constantly increasing settlements caused still another land office to be set up at Alliance. Subsequently the Chadron office was consolidated with the one at Alliance which continued operating until all public lands in the territory were disposed of. Then all government land offices in Nebraska were discontinued and all records transferred to the general land office at Washington, D. C.
The only public buildings in the county are located in Alliance and consist of a two-story building of stone and brick used for the post office and various other federal government offices. This structure is surrounded by spacious grounds and a well kept lawn. The Box Butte County courthouse is a large two-story building of stone and brick in the center of an entire block surrounded by a lawn and well developed trees.
In addition to these buildings there are many other large structures belonging to the City of Alliance rather than to the county. Included in the public buildings, property of Alliance and its school district, are several public school buildings of modern structure and designs. The well kept grounds and gardens and groves of thriving trees is a monument to growth of various institutions in Box Butte County.
Buildings other than public are those constructed and owned by the Catholic Church of Alliance. The parochial school covers a block; the hospital covers another block, the nurses home and other necessary buildings cover still another block.
Growth of Hemingford, nearer the center of the county and supported only by agricultural resources, is also a tribute to the energy and thrift of people residing in agricultural districts having so largely contributed to growth and advancement of Box Butte County.
As stated in the early part of this article the first election held for organization of the county was based upon party political lines. Without reference to any acts or details of government for the county between date of the special election and date of the following general election, it is sufficient to say that experience was such that citizens of the county concluded the best service could be rendered from election of qualified persons for the various offices regardless of their
affiliation with political or other organizations. Failure to render proper and honest service has been regarded as cause for dismissal. This policy has since been consistently observed, with the result that there has never been a scandal connected with the county government nor cause for complaint of mismanagement in any department. The county today ranks high throughout the entire country from the standpoint of good finances and low rate of taxation.
The history of Box Butte County is indeed a tribute to the character of all those who laid the foundation upon which their successors might build a lasting structure.
Vilma Dyer Ball
Development of Box Butte County was so rapid, once the region was thrown open to settlement, that there were no "firsts." Everything came at once in Alliance and building proceeded at such a feverish pace that the din of hammers and saws drowned all conversation in the downtown area.
However there are several significant events which stand out in the history of the county; occurrences which should be recorded for future generations. The first courthouse, built at Hemingford, was a flimsy frame building 20 by 80 feet in dimension and one and one-half stories in height. There were no plastered walls, no chimney. Furniture was improvised from Pine Ridge lumber. A small jail, which would have yielded readily to the efforts of a prisoner bent on escape, was constructed. The commissioners purchased, on credit, a fireproof safe costing $1,000.
The first county officers were: George W. Clark, county clerk; Fred A. Shonquist, sheriff; James H. Danskin, county attorney; N. S. Simpson, county superintendent; Dr. John Blood, coroner; James Barry, Louis C. deCoudress and Delbert S. Reed, county commissioners; A. L. Field, judge.
One of the early towns of this period was Grand Lake, a mushroom village which sprang up east of Alliance on the land of Samuel A. Smith.
During the summer of 1887 it grew to a population of 2,900. Crude structures of Pine Ridge lumber, canvas and tar paper housed the business men and residents. There were four banks, two newspapers, some general stores, livery stables, hotels and blacksmith shops. Gambling dens and saloons also, flourished. Grand Lake subsequently was refused a name by the railroad due to its similarity to Grand Island.
Other small prairie villages which existed about this time included Carlyle, Box Butte, Lawn, Dunlap, Berea, Malinda, Burbank, Canton and others. Most of them have long since vanished.
Due to the faulty construction of many of the sod houses, accidents were frequent in these early days. As the Alan Bearss family sat about the breakfast table one morning at their homestead, the ridge pole of the house collapsed, dumping sod and roof boards upon them, Their five year old daughter was killed instanly (sic).
Dug wells also presented hazards to the unwary. Carl Spacht, now mayor of Lusk, Wyo., fell into the town well at Nonpareil. He was then a small lad, clad in long dresses, which checked his descent. John O'Keefe was lowered into the well and both were pulled to the top unharmed.
Prairie fires also were a menace. Between the dates Aug. 1, 1892, and July 3, 1893, three fires gutted several blocks in Alliance.
Cattle rustlers often made their headquarters in this region. Most notorious of there were Holliday and Cochran. Holliday was finally captured by Sheriff Eugene Hall and "Scrub" Peeler, Alliance marshall. With the coming of modern conveniences such as the truck, rustling has been revived and cattle still disappear periodically.
Box Butte County, together with other sections of the old frontier, has marched ahead through the years. Her people have proved their stamina and have shown their ability to progress despite adversity. In years to come, this section of the state will continue to make its contribution to Nebraka (sic) and the nation.
ABBOTT, LEROY: Banker; b Hyannis, Neb Oct 18, 1904; s of Arthur J Abbott-Hannah E Minor; ed Hyannis; Omaha Central HS 1917-19; Lincoln HS; U of N; U of Cal, BSc 1926; Sigma Alpha Epsilon; m Eugenia Townley Nov 8, 1935 Torrington Wyo; 1926-27 rancher at Hyannis; 1927-39 cash Guardian State Bank of Alliance, VP since 1933; pres of First State Bank, Scottsbluff; VP Bank of Hyannis; VP Grant Co State Bank, Ashby; VP Bank of Mullen; VP Bank of Wood Lake; Neb & Amer Bankers Assns; Rotary; C of C; BPOE; Rep; hobby, ranching; res 923 Cheyenne, Alliance.
BALL, VILMA DYER: Homemaker; b Bertrand, Neb Apr 28, 1909; d of G Edward Dyer-Elsie Coker; ed Elwood HS 1926; U of Wyo 2 years; Kappa Phi Club; m Henry Alexander Ball July 23, 1928 Laramie Wyo; d Twila Elaine, Sandra Luan; sch tchr 6 years; has been country correspondent for various papers 9 years; co-author of History of Box Butte County From Dinosaurs to Streamlines published 1939; has led 4-H Club; mbr Box Butte Co Hist Soc; Meth Ch, SS worker; hobbies, local history, news writing, making homemade toys for the children, furthering education, raising goldfish; res RFD, Hemingford.
BAUMAN, BERNARD G: Optometrist; b Grand Island, Neb Jan 10, 1896; s of A J Bauman-Mary Windolph; ed Grand Island HS 1914; U of N; Northern Ill Coll of Optometry, OD 1918; Sigma Alpha Epsilon; Beta Sigma Kappa; m Leona Walker Aug 22, 1918 Lincoln; s Bernard, William, Robert; d Jean, Joan, Mary, Martha; 1919- prac optometry, Alliance; secy, state bd of examiners in optometry; during World War at marine corps hdqrs, Washington D C, disch June 1919; Amer Leg Post 7; past pres Neb Assn of optometrists 1936-37; Optometric Extension Program; Amer Optometric Assn; Rotary, past pres; C of C; BPOE 961; hobbies, hunting, fishing; off 311 1/2 Box Butte; res 922 Cheyenne, Alliance.
BLACK, EUGENE VAUGHN: Secretary Chamber of Commerce; b Brock, Neb Sept 5, 1894; s of H V Black-Clara May Armstrong; ed Brock HS; Cotner Coll, Lincoln 1911-15; m Ruth Rice May 12, 1920 Alliance; s Murray Eugene, Richard Ancil; d Clara Jane; 1915-16 tchr dist sch, Nemaha Co; 1916-29 night foreman, machinist, mechanic, also in
dispatcher's off CB&Q RR, Alliance; 1929-33 with Alliance Clothing Co; 1933- exec secy C of C; secy Panhandle Pub Pump Irrigation Dist; during World War with 34th div inf 2 years, disch as 2nd lt; Amer Leg post 7, past comm; Kiwanis; C of C; Chris Ch; Indep; off Municipal Bldg; res 1016 Big Horn, Alliance.
BRADBURY, DANIEL CHESTER: Cleaner & Dyer; b Oskaloosa, Ia Sept 6, 1888; s of Daniel Bradbury-Lilas Conner; ed Oskaloosa Ia HS; Ia St Coll 1909; m Jessie Garfield Andrew Dec 31, 1917 Chariton Ia; 1909-11 in clothing store, Oskaloosa Ia; 1911-13 mgr of clothing store, Albia Ia; 1913-15 owner & mgr Golden Eagle Clothiers, Chariton Ia; 1915-17 traveled in La & Ill for Moorehead Knitting Co of Harrisburg Penn; 1919- owner & mgr Keep-Neat Cleaners & Dyers, Alliance; 1938 gen chmn Alliance fiftieth anniversary com; during World War with hdqrs co 337th field arty, 88th div AEF, O/S 8 mos; Amer Leg, past comm; 1929- chmn of rodeo com sponsoring annual Panhandle Stampede; Neb Assn of Cleaners & Dyers, past pres; Rotary, past pres; C of C, VP, past pres; Alliance Country Club; AF&AM 183, Scot Rite, jr warden; BPOE; Episc Ch; Rep; hobbies, hunting, fishing, sports; off 121 E 3rd; res 915 Box Butte Ave, Alliance.
BRENNAN, FRANK J: Postmaster; b Bay City, Mich Sept 17, 1880; s of Martin Brennan-Mary Fitzgerald; ed HS; Northwestern U, PhG; m Madelen Carey, Southampton Canada; s John F, William J; d Helen Madelen; came to Lincoln 1887; 1888-1905 worked for brothers on ranch, Alliance; 1905-34 in drug bus; 1934- P M Alliance; Rotary; Cath Ch; Dem; res 616 Cheyenne, Alliance.
BROOME, FRANK M: Newspaper Man; b Augusta, Ga; s of James A Broome-Helen Gardner; ed Richmond Acad, Augusta Ga; m Julia M Phillips June 2, 1889 Broken Bow (dec Sept, 1937); d Helen (Mrs J E Mifka), Virginia (Mrs J E Mullane); 1880-84 in newspaper work, Ia; 1884 moved to Valentine; 1885-87 emp by Chadron Democrat; 1887-1912 owned & oprd Pioneer Grip, second paper in Box Butte Co; 1893-98 receiver US land off, Alliance; 1897-1912 in land off bus; 1923-39 secy Neb Stockgrowers Assn; secy Box Butte Hist Soc; U S court commr; KP, past keeper of records & seals; hobby, hist reading & writing; res Drake Hotel, Alliance.
BURLEW, CHARLES ARTHUR: Grocer; b Hemingford, Neb Sept 12, 18881 s of Charles Arthur Burlew-Margaret Cogan; ed Hemingford HS; Fremont Normal 1903-05; Creighton U 1905-08; m Margaret Killeen June 4, 1924 Hemingford; 1908-28 with father in gen mdse bus, Hemingford; 1928- owner & opr gen mdse bus; village clk; past mbr town bd; during World War entered US army Sept 1, 1918 hdqrs co, med unit, 62nd ambulance co Camp Grant Ill, disch Mar 19, 1919; Amer Leg 9, past vice comm; Cath Ch; Dem; hobbies, music, reading; res Hemingford.
COBB, ROBERT G: Manager Auto Co; b Funk, Neb Apr 25, 1893; s of U S Cobb-Augusta Holden; ed HS; U of N 1912; Sigma Alpha Epsilon; in Grace G Baird Sept 5, 1914 Hastings; s Chandler, Robert; d Margaret; 1918-22 traveled for A H Jones Co, Hastings; 1922- branch mgr A H Jones Auto Co, Alliance; pres Comml Club; BPOE 961; hobby, baseball; off 302 West 3rd; res 915 Cheyenne, Alliance.
COLE, SAMUEL HARDEN: Railway Freight & Passenger Agent; b Salvisa Ky May 12, 1881; s of Samuel Hardin CoIe-Letitia Strutton; ed Macon Co, Mo; Chillicothe Mo Normal School; m Addis Miller March 18, 1914 Denver Colo; d Addis Winifred, Maxine Letitia; oprd farm in Macon Co Mo 1 year; 1902-14 with CB&Q RR, beginning as night baggageman at Macon Mo, worked in Colo 6 years, later at various points in Neb; 1914-17 in claim dept CB&Q RR at Alliance, 1917- local freight & passenger agt; org & 1st pres Kiwanis Club; promoter of free dental clinic for underprivileged children; C of C, past pres 3 terms, 1938 recd plaque as outstanding citizen of Alliance; Alliance Livestock Commission Co; AF&AM 183, past jr warden; Scot Rite, 32o; Indep; hobbies, hunting, fishing; off CB&Q RR Freight Off; res 823 Big Horn, Alliance.
COLSON, MAURICE R: High School Principal; b Stromsburg, Neb Mar 2l, 1893; s of John Colson-AIice Nyquist; ed Stromsburg HS 1912; Grand Island Coll, BA 1918, 1917 All Neb coll tackle; U of N MA 1933; Colo St Tchrs Coll, Greeley Colo; Phi Delta Kappa; m Cora V Burke Aug 2, 1919 Lincoln; d Miriam; prior to 1918 worked with father on farm & in hotel bus; 1919-20 tchr & coach, Fairfield; 1920-21 tchr & coach, Sidney; 1921-23 coach, Gering HS, 1923-25 prin; 1925- Alliance HS prin, also tchr of math; during World War ent U S army Apr 27, 1918 89th div, engineer, O/S 11 mos, including 5 mos in army of occupation, disch June 4, 1919; Amer Leg post 7; VFW; Neb Schoolmasters Club; NSTA, past pres 6th dist; Neb HS Activities Assn, mbr bd of control; assoc mbr C of C; AF&AM 201; OES, past patron; hobbies, hunting, fishing, golf; Presby Ch; res 412 West 7th, Alliance.
COPSEY, HERBERT A: Physician & Surgeon; b Crawford Co, Wis Jan 21, 1880; s of Alonzo H Copsey-Anna Wallen; ed Ansley HS; Lincoln Med Coll MD 1906; Tau Alpha Epsilon; m Maybelle C O'Brien Jan 20, 1909 Broken Bow; d Mary Loretta (Mrs J F Kennedy); earned money for med sch by pitching as semi-professional & later as professional with Western League, Lincoln; 1906- prac med at Alliance, specializes in surgery; instrumental in founding & development of St Josephs Hosp, Alliance, staff pres six years; during World War capt of med corps, reached N Y day of armistice, later in chg of med wards at Fort Hancock, Sandy Hook N J in permanent coast defense; Box Butte Co Med Soc, past pres; Neb St & AMA; FACS; ch mbr Country Club; C of C; BPOE 961, past exalted ruler; KC 4o, past grand knight, Cath Ch; Rep; hobbies, reading, geology; father homesteaded in Custer Co 1883, still owns original homestead, Broken Bow; off Times Herald Bldg; res 601 Toluca Ave, Alliance.
ELLIS, HARVEY JOY: Retired; b Plymouth, O Apr 4, 1867; s of Lindley S Ellis-Rebecca J Hobson; ed Columbus & Genoa; m Minnie U Sturgeon Sept, 1889 Alliance; d Olive N (Mrs Charles C Kastner); m Beatrice M Holt Jan, 1903 Omaha; s Wade H; d Irma (Mrs Eugene Leggett), Ethelyn N (Mrs Clyde Wilcox); after father's death family homesteaded 1886 in old Dawes Co now Box Butte Co; 1888-92 worked for Alliance Times at Nonpareil; 1892-1914 owner & opr of Alliance Times, but forced to retire on account of ill health, 1900 built new bldg, 1903 changed paper to present semi-weekly; 1906-08 ptr in Wheaton-Ellis Auto Co; 1906-15 receiver of pub moneys U S land office; 1915- mgr real est ints & personal property; 1889 owned first high-wheel bicycle in Alliance; 1895 had first gasoline engine in city for power in print shop; 1910 owned first linotype in Neb Panhandle; 1894 asst at first appendectomy in this part of state & performed in shack near CB&Q RR, Alliance; mbr first Alliance band; 1918-35 ch mbr & chmn house com BPOE 961; MWA, ch mbr, past presiding ofcr 4 years, past clk 4 years; AF&AM 183; Rep; hobbies, mechanical & electrical work, hunting; father in Civil War 4 years, mbr Custer's Cavalry, moved with family to Nance Co when Indians were moved out; res 620 Laramie, Alliance.
ESSAY, ELIAS: Grocer; b Furzel, Syria Feb 9, 1881; s of Nasffe Essay-Freda Mohanna; ed Furzel Syria; m Martha Mohanna Feb 11, 1912 Furzel, Syria; s Ralph, Edward, John, Michael, Joseph, Junior; d Freda; 1881 came to U S; as young man emp in dry goods store, Omaha; 1905-11 oprd gen mdse store, Alliance; 1911-12 lived in Syria; 1912- opr gen mdse store, Alliance; 1930- owner gen store, Hemingford; owner & opr Standard Bottling Co since 1936; 1936- owner Food Center, Alliance; C of C, past dir; KC 975, trustee; BPOE 961; Cath Ch; Dem; hobby. travel; res 812 Emerson, Alliance.
FRICKE, HENRY A: Contractor; b Westphalia, Germany Sept 12, 1866; s of August Fricke-Elese Frenger; ed Westphalia Germany; m Ida Neufield Sept 2, 1892 Lincoln (dec 1907); s Herman W, Karl; d Freda (Mrs W L Davis), Louisa (Mrs John Nolan), Dorothy (Mrs Frank Rathburn); learned cabinet making & wagon making from father in Germany; 1885-87 carp at Freeport, Ill; 1887-1917 contr, Lincoln; 1917- contr, Alliance; 1927-39 mbr town coun; mayor 1932-39; Rotary; C of C; AF&AM 183, Scot Rite; IOOF 165, past grand; Sons of Herman 38, Lincoln; Luth Ch; Indep; hobby, travel, has made 2 trips to Europe; off 205 W 2; res 324 Grand, Alliance.
GANTZ, HARRY EUGENE: Attorney; b Osborne Co, Kas May 20, 1886; s of Albert E Gantz-Mary Jane Rakestraw; ed Washington Penn HS; Creighton U, LLB 1916; Delta Theta Phi; m Pearl Mitchell Oct 14, 1908 Alliance; 1905-18 steno & clk for CB&Q RR, Alliance; 1916 adm to bar; 1916- prac law, Alliance; 1916-35 mbr of firm Mitchell & Gantz; mbr bd of edn 15 years, pres 4 years; 1937- mbr Neb unicameral legislature from 41st dist; Box Butte Co, West
ern Neb & Neb St Bar Assns; Rotary; past pres; C of C; Country Club; AF&AM 183, RAM, KT, Scot Rite, past venerable master; BPOE 961, past exalted ruler, past dist dep; Episc Ch; Dem, past chmn Box Butte Co Central Com several years; hobby, photography; off 306 1/2 Box Butte; res 816 Laramie, Alliance.
GROVE, PHILLIP T: Clerk of District Court; b Alliance, Neb Dec 1, 1898; s of Arthur H Grove-Matilda Zobel; ed Alliance HS 1918; U of N; Xi Psi Phi; m Beulah Reddish June 8, 1920 Alliance; s Raymond Lloyd, Robert Arthur; d Phyllis Mae; on father's farm until 1917; 1919-20 air brake mechanic for CB&Q RR, Alliance; 1920-23 ptr of father-in-law on ranch; summer 1926 worked in grain elevator & injured hand so could not continue study of dentistry; 1928-30 asst mgr Alliance Theater; 1931- clk of dist court; during World War enl Apr 9, 1917, Co G 4th Neb, O/S 10 mos, in chg of sch of fire in arty 4.7 field pieces, disch June 25, 1919; Amer Leg post 7, AF&AM 183; Presby Ch; Dem; hobbies, hunting, fishing, sports; father settled in 1885 & helped build RR into Alliance; res 810 Cheyenne, Alliance.
GUTHRIE, JOHN WILLIAM: Insurance Agent; b Dubuque, Ia Apr 29, 1866; s of Patrick M Guthrie-Winifred Mahar; ed Carroll Ia; prep sch & coll Notre Dame U, South Bend Ind, BSc 1885, hon MSc 1895; 1883-84 capt baseball team; m Flora Sullivan June 1890 South Bend Ind; s John Merlin, Charles (dec); d Mary Virginia, Catherine (Mrs ___ Schaub), Florence (Mrs Charles Bader); 1886 came to Chadron as mbr of engineering party which laid out C&NW RR in Wyoming to Casper; 1887-89 mgr Der Carroll Demokrat, German newspaper in Carroll Ia; 1889-1900 in chg of ins & collections for Birdsell Mfg Co, South Bend Ind; 1900-02 emp in Chicago off of New England Factory Mutual Ins Co; 1903-04 in life ins bus at Dubuque Ia; 1904-06 life ins agt, Carroll Ia; 1906-14 with half-brother, James B Gray oprd gen ins off at Alliance, 1914-25 indep opr, 1925- firm name Guthrie & O'Connor, connected with 6 maj ins firms; past mbr lib bd; past pres & past VP C of C 13 years; past mbr Lions 1919- mbr of exec com Neb St Vol Firemens Assn; one of oldest mbrs KC, past grand knight, past state master of 4th degree 14 years; Cath Ch; Dem secy Box Butte Co Central Com; hobby, reading; off 111 E 3rd; res Alliance.
HALL, E ALBON: Cattleman; b Freeport, Ill; s of George H Hall-Mary Ann Coltman; ed HS; m Minnie E Baker May 17, 1893 Ellsworth Kas (dec 1905); s Albon Baker; m Sadie E Fickell Aug 4 1909 Boulder, Colo; came to N W Neb with herd of Tex cattle in summer 1878; 1885-88 ranch mgr for Ogalla Land & Cattle Co & ran herd of 50,000 cattle, 1887-88 ranch mgr after transfer of herds to Wyo; 1889-95 2nd Box Butte Co sheriff, also cattle trader; 1912- rancher; only living ch mbr AF&AM 183; hobby, cattle; res 718 Cheyenne, Alliance.
HANSEN, CHRIS: Farmer; b Shanderborg, Denmark Aug 21, 1865; s of Chris Petersen-Karen Christensen; ed Denmark; m Anna Marie Pedersen June 4, 1887 Blair (dec 1921); s Hans C; d Marie (Mrs Albert Roth), Nora Sigrid, Grace (dec 1928); came to U S 1884; 1884-85 worked on RR in British Columbia; 1886 worked on MoP RR, between Weeping Water & Lincoln; 1886-87 farmed near Blair; 1888 homesteaded near Hemingford, hauled wood for fuel & lbr from Pine Ridge, 1888-1916 farmer & cattle & horse raiser; owner 1600 A farm; VP tele co; 1916- ptr of son in oprn of farm; past mbr sch bd dist 51 several years; past city treas; marshal of Hemingford; mbr town bd 2 terms; pct assessor; road overseer; dir park bd; mbr cemetery assn; Lions; Farmers Union; Congl Ch; Dem; res Hemingford.
HARGRAVES, MONTE SEAMAN: Secretary to Building & Loan Association; b Kaneville, Ill Jan 14, 1878; s of John Robert Hargraves-Emma N Seaman; ed HS; m Lula M Deitrick Sept 30, 1909 York; 1892-99 rancher Hay Springs; 1899-1912 brakeman & conductor on RR; Box Butte Co clk & clk of dist court; mbr city park bd 10 years; BPOE 961; AF&AM 183, venerable master; Scot Rite; Tangier Shrine; high priest, York Rite; IOOF 168; hobby, golf; res 711 Cheyenne, Alliance.
HEIN, WILLIAM H SR: Attorney; b Tobias, Neb June 7, 1904; s of Henry Hein-Flora Koudele; ed Wilber HS 1922; U of N, 1928; mbr track team 1924-26; past mbr world champion relay team 1926 & mbr winning Drake & Missouri Valley relay teams; Delta Tau Delta; m Emily K Simanek June 7, 1928 Omaha; s William H Jr; d Frances Gretchen, Carolyn Josephine; 1928- priv law prac, Alliance; 1929-39 city prosecutor; Box Butte Co atty 1931-34; Neb St Bar Assn; past pres Jr C of C; C of C; AF&AM 183, Scot Rite 32 degree; Presby Ch; Indep; hobby travel; off 1041/1 W 3rd; res 1206 Laramie, Alliance.
HOLTORF, CARL CHURCHILL: Railway Division Superintendent; b Cedar Rapids, Ia Apr 24, 1874; s of John C Holtorf-Julia A Churchill; ed Omaha HS; Coe College, Cedar Rapids Ia; m Abbie Hall 1904 Cedar Rapids Ia (dec 1914); m Grace Scoullar Jones Oct 7, 1916 Deadwood S D; s John C, Marcus H, George C, William H; d Helen Louise, Grace Betty; 1897- with CB&Q RR, 1897-1901 in stores dept at Lincoln,, 1901-07 in track dept at various points west of Mo, 1907-10 trainmaster & roadmaster at Deadwood S D 1910-17 asst supt Deadwood S D; 1917-19 asst supt at Greybull, Wyo 1919-20 supt at Wymore, 1920-34 supt Sterling Colo div; 1934- div supt of Alliance & Sterling divs, at Alliance; past mbr Rotary & Lions, Country Club; BPOE, Sterling Colo; Episc Ch; Rep; off CB&Q Depot; res 803 Cheyenne, Alliance.
HOPER, CLARENCE H: City Manager; b Hartley, Ia Aug 20, 1900; s of Adolph Hoper-Julia Wellendorf; ed Hartley Ia HS; Ia St Coll BSc 1923, MSc 1939; Tau Beta Pi; Eta Kappa Nu; m Mabel Honett Sept 1, 1934 Stanton Ia; d Sara Catherine; 1923-24 jr engr Pub Serv Co, Denver Colo; 1924-26 results engnr Lacomb plant, Denver; 1925-27 results engr, Pub Serv Co, Valmont plant Boulder Colo; 1927-29 asst supt of plants Pub Service Co, Denver; 1929-36 power sales engr, Pub Serv Co, Denver; 1936- city mgr, Alliance, municipal construction since 1936 including airport, city hall, municipal bldg, city wells & $430,000 electric plant; during World War enl in SATC, Ames Ia; Amer Leg; Internatl City Mgrs Assn; Natl Municipal League; ASME; Rotary; past dir Denver Jr C of C; Alliance C of C; AF&AM, Denver, Alliance Scot Rite; hobbies, fishing, hunting, skiing, riding; Presby Ch; Indep; res Alliance.
HUGHES, JAMES EAGLESON: Theater Manager; b Lebanon, Mo Aug26, 1887; s of John Alexander Hughes-Maggie Young; ed Lebanon Mo HS; m Martha Ann Chuck Oct 2, 1907 Lincoln; s James E Jr; d Maxine Elizabeth; 1906 came to Neb; 1906-11 electrician & lineman for Lincoln Traction Co, Lincoln; 1911-14 city electrician, Alliance; 1914-1& supt of municipal light, water & sewer dept; 1918-22 mgr of Imperial Theater; 1922-25 mgr & co-owner Rialto Theater; 1925-29 co-owner & mgr Imperial Theater, consolidated; 1925 with Rialto Theater; 1929-30 mgr Imperial Theater; 1930-34 mgr Fox Theater, McCook; 1934- mgr Imperial Theater, Alliance, rebuilt and re-named Alliance Theater in 1937; mbr city coun 2 terms; BPOE 961; Rotary; C of C, past dir; Episc Ch; Indep; hobby, hunting; off Alliance Theater; res 724 Cheyenne, Alliance.
JACOBSON, MARTIN B: Real Estate Dealer & Rancher; b Blair, Neb Feb 11, 1888; s of Ola Jacobson-Mary Mortinson; ed Blair HS 1905; m Martha Peterson Apr 9, 1913 Blair; s Vernon Bernhart (dec); 1910-12, wrestler with Farmer Burns, Omaha; 1911 played on the Farmer Burn & Ball Club; 1916-19 in auto bus, Blair; 1919 took flying instructions; 1920, pur Lincoln Standard plane, with flying instr did stunting over Omaha, made necessary new air rules of 1000 foot altitude over city; 1920- traded plane for land in Box Butte Co; 1921 opr of 1st combine in Box Butte Co; 1921-28 farmed & broke 10,000 A in Box Butte Co; 1926-29 agent for Case Combine Co; 1927 planted Neb certified wheat & 1928 harvested largest yield per acre for "Dry Farming" on record in state; 1928 org & inc Alliance Airways with 13 mbrs & 160 A airport; 1929 moved hangar & increased field to 415 A, present airport dedicated Aug 6, 1939; mbr vol fire dept; BPOE 961; Meth Ch; hobby, taking colored moving pictures, 1939 allowed to make pictures of Crown Prince & Princess of Denmark & party, & invited to visit Denmark's Capital to make colored movies of city; res 824 Emerson, Alliance.
JENSEN, JENS PETER: Retired, b Horsens, Denmark May 16, 1861; s of Jens Gorm Jensen-Rasmine Neilsen; ed Denmark; m Anna B Lund Nov 17, 1387 old Nonpareil (dec Apr 18, 1932); d Helge (dec 1918), Christine (Mrs Bryan Chrestensen), Emma (Mrs Thorvald Lund); came to U S, 1882, settled near Blair; worked on CB&Q RR; 1885 homesteaded in Box Butte Co near old Nonpareil; 1886 returned to Denmark; 1886-1918 in
Part 2 (bios: Kennedy-Wilson)
Who's Who in Nebraska (introduction & directory, list of abbreviations)
Visit Box Butte County website
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller