NEGenWeb Project - Hall County
Who's Who in Nebraska, 1940
part 1: County History, Abbott - Cheatum | part 2: Clark - H Howard
part 3: Z Howard - Neumann | part 4: Neumayer - Stolley | part 5: Streetmaker - Zuspan
A. F. Buechler
HE genesis of what today is Hall County is traced back to days, long before the Civil War, when statesmen of the era began to think of the development of the vast region lying between the Mississippi river and the Pacific ocean. For this development a transcontinental railroad was held essential. And it was the general conclusion that this railroad must be built through the natural passageway--the valley of the Platte in the then new territory of Nebraska.
The author hopes to, make it clear, in this brief history of Hall County, how the Platte valley has retained that particular characteristic and permanent advantage even up to the present day.
There were living, at that time, on the eastern border of this large, undeveloped domain, namely at Davenport, Iowa, on the Mississippi, a number of citizens of German nativity. They had arrived at Davenport about two years prior to 1857. The idea came to them that they should organize a colony to form a settlement and lay out a city in the Platte valley. The generally discussed plan of a transcontinental railway naturally included connecting north and south roads; and it was believed that the first such point would be about this distance from Omaha, then a city of about 2,000 inhabitants, yet, relatively the gateway to the west.
As Fred Hedde, leader of the colony, writes in his memoirs, a company was formed to furnish the financial means for the existence of the settlers, and for making improvements in "the intended city." The financing firm was Chubb Brothers & Barrows. Incidentally a check on Chubb Brothers & Barrows, that had never been presented for payment, and bearing the signature of Fred Hedde, is one of the several hundreds of relics in possession of the Hall County Historical Society.
The financial structure having been perfected, there was organized a party of thirty-seven persons, thirty-two of whom were recent German immigrants and five Americans. The thirty-seven were: Fred Hedde, William Stolley, Christian Menck, William A. Hagge, Henry Joehnck, Mrs. Henry Joehnck, Kai Ewoldt, Miss Anna Stehr, Mr. and Mrs. William Stehr, Henry Schoel, Mrs. Henry Schoel, Fred Doll, Mrs. Fred Doll, George Schultz, Fred Vatje, Johann Hammann, Detlef Sass, Peter Stuhr, Hans Wrage, Nicholas Thede, Cornelius Thede, Henry Schaaf, Marx Stelk, Henry Egge, Mathias Gries, Fred Landmann, Herman Vasold, Theodore Nagel, Christian Andresen, Mrs. Andresen and four year old child.
Surveyor Barnard's party consisted of him, Louis Barnard, his brother, of Washington, Josiah Smith, David P. Morgan, and William Seymour, all of Davenport.
In Davenport the expedition was regarded as foolhardy, but the members of the colony paid little heed to this belief. Most of their number were from Schleswig-Holstein (Plattdeutsch). Quite a number had seen military service and the colony had confidence in its man power.
The colonists left Davenport on May 25, 1857. The surveying party started a few days in advance, led by Surveyor Barnard. It consisted of the surveying party of five, and Fred Hedde and Christian Menck. It traveled behind a four-mule team. The larger party, under the leadership of William Stolley, followed a few days later, in four wagons each drawn by several yoke of oxen. He brought the same across Iowa to Omaha. From that point it proceeded to the end of the journey, under the leadership of Fred Hedde. Mr. Stolley's memoirs explain that his return was necessitated by business having to do with the financing of the company.
An interesting item in the memoirs of these colonists is afforded by the diary kept en route by Henry Egge. It reads:
"Our train passed Fremont June 3, which town had ten log houses. Arrived at Columbus, which had 18 log houses on June 26. Crossed the Loup river June 27, at Genoa, about 20 miles upstream from Columbus and on July 2 Wood river was rived, over the wild prairies of the valley, where the pioneer train made the first wagon trail."
In his narrative of 1897 Fred Hedde relates that when the colonists reached Columbus, "also a German settlement," the settlers urged them to stay and settle there; but they preferred to go farther, even though there was not a single white man's settlement west of that village. The spot on Wood river which the colonists reached from Genoa was described by Fred Hedde in the following:
"About ten miles from the point where this little stream emptied into a narrow north channel of the Platte river, opposite the large island in the Platte called Grand Island, the new settlement was located July 4th, 1857." Mr. Hedde, who with Mr. Menck and Surveyor Barnard selected the location, writes further:
"The island was formed by a very narrow channel branching off from the main Platte about 50 miles above, and joining the main river again about
ten miles below the new settlement. The little branch was fringed with a narrow strip of cottonwood trees, furnishing logs for buildings and firewood. On account of its timber, in other places in the valley very scarce, the name of this island was already well-known, and gave the settlement the name of "Grand Island settlement" and the later city the name of Grand Island.
"Our pioneers then went to work putting up some log houses near the present *dwelling houses of the Menck and Stuhr farms, a little east and south of the present city, so near together that they could protect each other in case of trouble with the Indians. And they broke as much land as the late season would allow. Our surveyor succeeded in laying out a town which covered the southern part of our present city of Grand Island but never advanced beyond the character of a paper town, because the Davenport company which had started the enterprise and which was bound to make improvements in the new town, in consequence of the crisis of 1857, broke up about a year later, and consequently abandoned their scheme."
Thus are fixed the time, the place of birth and the christening of our city. And it will not be remiss at this point to take notice that the quoted record was made by one of the three men who "made" that history, as is, in the Buechler-Barrstough "History of Hall County" (1920), completely corroborated by a second colonist, Christian Menck and in large part by William Stolley, August Schernekau and others.
The pioneers were now domiciled and at work. But the supplies were becoming exhausted and Mr. Hedde and Mr. Menck contacted Surveyor Barnard with reference to this need. Two loads of provisions had been brought out with the colony, by two men. These two had been sent back to bring out two more loads. They had not come. Mr. Barnard's reply to Mr. Hedde and Mr. Menck was that he had appointed a man to bring out the next load. To the suggestion that the man might not be reliable the surveyor responded that the man was honest and a gentleman. But Mr. Hedde felt uneasy and sent four of the colonists, with an ox team, to get a load of food and other supplies. This trip would require from fourteen to seventeen days. There were not enough provisions left if everyone, as before, received what he wanted. In his anecdotes, as written for The Independent's fiftieth anniversary edition, Christian Menck relates, in connection with this incident:
"In the settlement all provisions were brought out of the wagons in order to make inventory of what there was left and to gauge the use of them accordingly. It was estimated that at least fourteen days would be required before our team could return. Rations were reduced to one-third of one pound of flour per day for each person or we would have suffered from hunger the first four weeks of our settlement here. Mr. Hedde thus from the beginning came to be the adviser of the settlement."
Other memoirs also reveal that, had Mr. Hedde not disregarded the assurance of Mr. Barnard, the main agent, and had not sent the four men to Omaha for two more loads of the supplies that had been purchased and stored for the colony, it would have been in sore straits, with the possibility of dissolution; for, when the four colonists reached Omaha, they ran across the man appointed by Mr.. Barnard to bring supplies, walking on the streets. He excused himself by saying that his horse was taken sick. The four men returned with provisions in due time. Mr. Hedde writes:
"Thus the pioneers patiently stood nearly three weeks of hunger without being starved; and when, at the end of this trying time, the men with their loads of good things arrived, there was great rejoicing, for there was once more plenty and the settlement had been saved."
During the first winter in the new land there, was one fatality. In November a snow storm set in quite suddenly. Henry Joehnck and a stranger who was temporarily in the village, had gone hunting, to Prairie creek. They could not find their way back. A rescue party found the two--the stranger already dead. The life of Mr. Joehnck was saved with difficulty. After this storm the winter was exceedingly mild and though they lived 65 miles from the last traces of civilization, and never saw any travelers excepting once in the late summer of '57, when a party of Californians returned along the valley, they enjoyed that lonely time in peace and happiness.
The financing firm of Chubb Brothers & Barrows, of Washington, with branch banks at Boston and Davenport, failed during the '57-'58 winter. This terminated all outside supply of provisions. All hope of building up the "paper city" was abandoned. The settlers were on their own resources. But they had land and courage; and the second year not only brought a second colony of 20 persons but also the first definite resurge of that generic fact of the natural passageway across the continent and its benefits. The second colony brought twenty yoke of oxen, some milch cows and some young stock. It, likewise, consisted largely of Germans.
"The settlers spread out," writes Mr. Hedde, "each taking up his own farm and going over from the mainland to the big island;" and this "is the reason that the neighborhood of the present city (1897) for five miles down and six or seven miles up Wood river is settled almost exclusively by hardworking German farmers." The year also brought more travelers through the valley. A rumor, first heard by the colonists in '57, became fact early
*The Stuhr farmstead still stands. The Menck farmstead was about half a mile east of the Stuhr. A little to the northeast of the Menck farmstead, and on the present Stuhr, former Windolph farm (original Doll claim) slight depressions still show where the small cellars of these original settlers' homes were.
in 1858. Tie rumor was of the discovery of gold at Pike's Peak, Colo.
Early in '58 quite a number of gold seekers passed through "for the new Eldorado, the embryo of Denver and the state of Colorado." Though many returned in the fall, sad and disappointed, "the stream of immigration, not only to Colorado but also to the other gold countries of Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and the Pacific coast, yearly increased and at once began a trading of food and other supplies to these travelers. The gold fields held no attraction for either the original colonists or for the second 1858 group, which consisted of William Stolley, Henry Vieregg, August Schernekau, John Hann and wife and two children, Carl Boehl and wife, Adolph Hoepfner, Rudolph Matthiessen, Charles Gardner, John Vieregg and Fred Moeller. In this "trading" good prices prevailed. From $1 to $1.50 for a bushel of grain was the general price and upon occasions the price went considerably higher. Contracts for corn, delivered at Brak's camp, nine miles this side of Fort Kearny, by William Stolley, brought $2.04 per bushel. "A good sized cabbage," writes Mr. Stolley, sold frequently for fifty cents and a fair sized watermelon for $1.00. And--there were no checks--only gold and silver coins.
A still further addition, in 1858, was a settlement of Mormons, on Wood river. They remained about five years.
Hall County was organized as such in 1859 and the first officers were: Fred Hedde, probate judge; Theodore Nagel, county clerk; Hans Wrage, James Vieregg, and Henry Egge, county commissioners; William Stolley and R. C. Barnard, justices of the peace; Herman Vasold, sheriff; Christian Andresen, treasurer; Frederick Doll, assessor; and Christian Menck and Mathias Gries, constables.
During the next few years many additional Germans arrived and in 1861 a number of Irish settled in the region just west of the present Wood River village, which, as such, practically began its history with the advent of the Union Pacific. The first settlers there were two brothers, Pat and Alex Moore, quoting from the Hedde memoirs:
"They were soon joined by their brother-in-law, O'Brien . . . . After some years a large number of Irish people settled around them. They were good, hard-working men, who got along well, and with whom our Grand Island pioneers lived on terms of friendship."
In 1862 the first real store was erected a mile southeast of the present city, by Henry A. Koenig and Fred Wiebe. It was called the OK store. Here, for the larger part, the old settlers had their meetings and later erected fortifications against the Indians. In 1864 Fred Hedde opened a store five miles farther west, and James Jackson opened a store in Wood River.
Here, again, that pathway: All these stores were kept right on the old emigrant road to catch the emigrant trade, no city as yet existing. But two years later the pathway took on a different form. The old emigrant road was displaced by the Union Pacific's rails. The prediction of a transcontinental railway through the Platte valley was being fulfilled. A real town site was laid out by the railroad company. The development brought about a great change, not only in the business and social life of the settlement but also in the occupation and development of adjacent territory. After commenting on the construction of the railroad, Mr. Hedde describes the result:
"Now the solitude was gone and the old relations were more or less changed. A number of settlers moved into the new town and the stores went away from the former emigrant road. The farther the railroad extended the more the old travel disappeared on the road until it finally stopped entirely and the old profitable trade with the gold hunters was entirely gone. But the farms in the meantime were enlarged, the acres were broadened, and large crops at smaller prices replaced the old high prices of small crops. The city grew--but only slowly until 1869, when the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads were finished. This great event started a large immigration into Nebraska from all parts of the United States, of which Grand Island and its neighborhood received its due share. Until then most all of the newcomers had settled in the Platte valley; but from 1869 on they went north from Grand Island to and beyond Prairie creek and Loup Fork, and began to fill the valleys of the Loup. Grand Island was for a number of years the center of trade for this whole country and grew fast. It was then the shipping point for their produce, sending it to east and west, and supplying them with all the goods necessary for their settlements. Grand Island's trade reached out for more than 100 miles."
In the meantime there had developed further economic uses of the Platte valley as the natural lane across the western domains. Indeed, a trail known variably as the "Overland" or "California," and sometimes the "Mormon," had long since started from the banks of the Missouri river near Bellevue and to Florence, followed up the north side of the Platte and North Platte to Fort Laramie where it joined the older Oregon Trail." Yet the last named, too, entered Hall County near the Martin ranch, following the south side of the river to a point twenty miles below the upper end of the "Grand Island," where it crossed the river for the then "Fort Kearny." The Hall County Historical Society has marked The Overland: (1) near Harmony Hall on the Merrick County line; (2) on south Locust; (3) on the west side of the Sandkrog road about forty yards north of the Wood river; (4) on the west side of section line running south from Alda; (5) on the west side of the township line road between Wood River and Jackson townships, about 50 feet south of the residence of Pat-
rick Francis and, (6) at the west line of Hall County, in the southwest corner of the land owned by Henry Stedman.
Likewise following the Platte pathway came, on April 3, 1860, the Pony Express from St. Joseph and from here on west, soon followed by a stage coach line.
On July 4, 1861, Edward Creighton started a telegraph line through the valley from Omaha to Salt Lake City. The line was completed on Oct. 17 of the same year, and was known as the Pacific Telegraph company. It was later merged with the Western Union Telegraph company and routed parallel with the Union Pacific road. In 1872 Grand Island had its first telegraph office.
In January 1859, fire of malicious origin destroyed all but one house of the original settlement. Several other houses, in course of construction, were also destroyed. Speaking of his own home, Mr. Menck writes: "We saved only enough bedding for one bed. We had provisions for the entire winter and clothing for several years. It all went. The vagabond who set the prairie afire above us did it, as he boasted, because "the damned Dutch had no right to establish a settlement here." Mr. Barnard obtained fourteen days' rations for the victims, from Fort Kearny.
Aside from this hostile act it was during the sixties that the colonists and later pioneers faced the greatest dangers and suffered the greatest tragedies at the hands of the red men. This region was Pawnee territory--a tribe peaceful by tradition. While, upon one occasion, 1,500 of them passed through the settlement, outside of a few depredations they never gave the settlers serious trouble. But during and especially toward the close of the Civil War, when the Sioux, occupying southwestern Nebraska, seemed to have realized that regular troops would be unavailable to the settlers, that tribe became hostile. It once threatened to clear the entire Platte valley of the white man. But only roving bands came as far east as Hall County, and these evidently regarded the Grand Island settlement too well protected. Their visitations in Hall County were limited to the then western outskirts. Tile space allotted for this review permits brief descriptions for only a few of them.
The first of these major attacks took place on Feb. 5, 1862. Joseph P. Smith and Anderson, his son-in- law, farmers on Wood river, about twelve miles west of Grand Island, went to the Platte after some building logs. They were accompanied by two of Smith's sons, William and Charles, and his grandson, Alex. Late in the morning Anderson took one load home. When he returned after dinner he found Smith lying face down on the ice, dead and holding each of his boys by one hand. William was still alive, but he had been shot by an arrow and the cheek was cut from mouth to ear. He was taken home but bled to death. Charles' skull had been crushed and his neck broken, probably with a war club. The Anderson boy's body was found some distance away, his skull fractured. The four horses were taken by the Indians.
A second attack of outstanding note, though without direct fatality, occurred in about 1864:
"William Martin and his two sons, Nat and Robert, were returning home with two loads of hay. Mr. Martin was driving ahead when a party of Sioux and Cheyennes without any provocation attacked them, apparently with no other purpose than securing the horses. Mr. Martin was shot with arrows in the neck but not severely enough to disable him from getting home with his wagon. The two boys were frightened and left their hay, and jumped onto a horse they were leading behind and tried to get away. But both were shot, the arrow just tearing the side of Nat under the arm, but entering the back of his brother Bob. Falling off the horses, the Indians took the horses and left the boys for dead. Nat was not so severely wounded as his brother who appears to have suffered from his wound for the rest of his life, dying in Kansas, from spinal meningitis, some years ago."
Outstanding in its savagery was the raid on the Campbell Ranch about a mile west and north of Doniphan, on July 24, 1867. The men being in distant harvest fields and none at home, the house was attacked, a woman named Mrs. Warren killed by a gun shot and her son by an arrow. The two nieces of Campbell, aged 17 and 19, and twin boys four years old, were carried away and a German named Henry Dose, was killed close by. The Indians robbed the house, killed some stock and escaped unmolested. Months afterward the government bought the two girls and the boys from the Indians for $4,000 and, as an extra compensation released a Sioux sqquaw (sic), captured by Ed Arnold's Pawnee Scouts, at Elm creek, the same season. The scene of the raid is marked by a monument and the graves of several of the victims. Through the efforts of the Hall County Historical Society a public road leads to the graves.
August Schernekau, a cousin of Fred Hedde, was one of the two Hall County soldiers in the Civil War. His sword and portrait are in possession of the Hall County Historical Society, and will be among the many choice historical relics on display when the appeals for more room, by the library board--the library being the fixed home of the historical society--are heard and granted by the voters. A second enlistment from the county was that of Benjamin F. Hurley, who gave his address as Wood River.
Grasshopper visitations are recorded for the years 1862, 1863, 1864, 1865, 1866, 1873 and 1874. According to William Stolley, those of the early years were of short duration and caused little damage. But that of 1869 destroyed nearly the entire crop and that of 1874 entailed a complete loss. From Omaha to North Platte the insect hordes practically laid the country to waste. Half the farmers desperately needed financial aid. The state
appropriated $50,000. This was insufficient and William Stolley was sent by the State Grange to Washington and there, after an energetic presentation, obtained an appropriation by congress of $150,000 for the Nebraska sufferers.
But if the early seventies brought the grasshopper scourge, the late seventies produced an offsetting and highly beneficent surge of that original motif--a transcontinental railroad through the Platte valley. The prediction of the colonists came true.
They and their followers made it come true. They voted $75,000 in bonds for the Hastings and Grand Island railway and $50,000 for the one to St. Paul and the north. Moreover, coupled with the latter issue, was the pledge of the Union Pacific, if this $50,000 issue were authorized the company would spend $100,000 for shops and round house here, before the said $50,000 needed to be delivered. The early eighties saw the full fruition of these steps. They also saw the great development of our churches and schools, the establishment of five banks, the construction of the city hall, Bartenbach Opera House, A. O. U. W. building, Oxnard Beet Sugar factory, Soldiers & Sailors Home, St. Francis Hospital, the Burlington railroad from Aurora, the street railway system, the Palmer Hotel. Unfortunately, however, the next decade, the nineties, while not without its material gains, such as the Koehler Hotel, and several additional churches, was generally a decade of depression. Hot winds, drouths, crop failures and the closing of three of the five banks featured.
The limitation of 4,000 words for this review, already slightly exceeded has necessitated much condensation of the richness of Hall County's history and the limitation to the first forty years of its being.
It is regretted that much belonging to the history of this period, had to be omitted--the stagecoach days experience of Squire Lamb, the Goettsche-Frahm massacre, the annals of Norman Reese, details of the heavy storms, etc.
It is desired only, in conclusion, to point out, again, the rich heritage that is ours--that belongs to us of the present day and is destined to be enjoyed by those who will follow. The generic fact of our location on the natural passageway across the continent regardless of constant changes in the mere form of transportation, or communication. Note the procession: ox-drawn prairie schooner; Overland Trail; Pony Express; military telegraph; stage coach; early Union Pacific day coach; Los Angeles Limited; Ford's horseless vehicle and the Lincoln highway--and the United Air Line service across the country in less than a day!
Were not our colonists right? Is not a permanent advantage ours? A tribute to them all, and to their leaders!
ABBOTT, ARTHUR GRIFFIN: Attorney; b Grand Island, Neb Mar 10, 1880; s of Othman Ali Abbott-Elizabeth Gardner Griffin; ed Grand Island HS; Grand Island Coll, BA 1901; U of Chicago JD 1907; 1907 adm to Neb bar; 1912 adm to Ill bar; 1907-12 prac law, Grand Island; 1912-18 prac law, Chicago; 1918- prac law, Grand Island; past city atty; owner & opr 3 farms near Grand Island; past pres Hall Co Bar Assn; Neb St Bar Assn; hobbies, gardening, growing trees; off 108 1/2 W 3rd; res 705 W 1st, Grand Island.
ABBOTT, OTHMAN ALI: Attorney; b Grand Island, Neb Sept 14, 1874; s of Othman Ali Abbott-Elizabeth Griffin; ed Grand Island; Grand Island Bus Coll; U of N, LLD; m Ella Bartenbach Sept 14, 1911 Grand Island; d Charlotte; adm to Neb bar 1896; 1896- prac law, Grand Island; 1939- mayor of Grand Island, also past mayor 6 years; police judge 3 years; dist court reporter 20 years; pres bd of edn 6 years; mbr Charter Commission, Grand Island; during World War, chmn coun of defense; Hall Co & Neb St Bar Assns; U of N Alumni Assn; RAM; KT; Shrine; BPOE, FOE; Episc Ch, vestryman; hobby, fishing; off 108 1/2 W 3rd; res 706 W 1st, Grand Island.
ABBOTT, MISS SABRA JANE: Librarian; b Wood River, Neb; d of Marcus Riley Abbott-Carrie Weldon; ed Wood River HS; Grand Island College BA 1902; U of Colo; U of N; Carnegie Pub Lib, Wash D C; with brother Roscoe owner & opr parents original homestead; 1903-04 tchr near Abbott; 1904-05 tchr, Shelton; 1905-07 tchr, Chadron; 1907-09 tchr, Fairbury; 1913-24 tchr of Latin & history, Wood River HS; 1924-28 supt of schs, Wood River; 1928 librarian Wood River pub lib; 1929-30 librarian Grand Island Coll; 1930- librarian Wood River pub lib; still owns father's old library; NSTA; hon mbr Federated Woman's Club; secy, past worthy matron OES; DAR; Presby Ch, SS tchr, past pres Young Women's Missionary Soc; hobbies, photography, reading, fancywork; father, Civil War veteran, homesteaded in 1870's near Wood River, was tchr & farmer; mother also sch tchr; res Wood River.
ALTER, ISAAC READ: Banker; b Cheyenne, Wyo Aug 24, 1881; s of Isaac R Alter-Annie Reed; ed Grand Island HS 1899; m Anna Haldeman Apr 18, 1906 Grand Island; d Marion (Mrs G S Redwine); 1894-1910 with father in Union Stockyards, also in cattle feeding bus, Grand Island; 1910-14 after death of father indep feeder of cattle, hogs, sheep; 1899 janitor & collector, First Natl Bank, Grand Island; 1900-10 cash, Grand Island Natl Bank; 1910-24 dir & cash First Natl Bank, 1924- exec VP & mgr; pres First State Bank, Whitman; past pres Neb Bankers Assn; Amer Bankers Assn, past VP natl bank div; dir, mbr industrial com C of C; ch mbr Rotary; Riverside Country Club; Liederkranz Soc; past trustee & past secy BPOE; AF&AM; KT, past mbr Tangier Shrine; Episc Ch; hobbies, fishing, hunting, breeding dogs, golf, horses, photography, cooking; off First Natl Bank; res 115 N Elm, Grand Island.
APPLEGATE, JOHN CENTENNIAL: President Laundry & Dry Cleaning Establishment; b Unionville, Mo Jan 19, 1876; s of Charles H Applegate-Helen Coop; ed Unionville, Mo; m Cora Haines Dec 11, 1901 Fairbury; d Alberta (Mrs Ellis B Shepherd); 1891 emp by laundry, Harvey Ill: 1891 pushed wheel chairs at Chicago Worlds Fair; 1892 with assocs pur & oprd small hand wash laundry, Unionville, Mo; 1893 with 4 assocs & hand washer came west seeking laundry work, husked corn at Harbine Neb; 1893-1918 emp in Fairbury Laundry, in which he later pur int; 1919-22 owner of int in Grand Island Model Laundry; 1922- owner Grand Island Model Laundry & Dry Cleaners; Neb Laundry Men's Assn; Neb Assn of Cleaners & Dyers; Natl Assn of Dyers & Cleaners; Amer Inst of Laundering; C of C; Rotary; Woodland & Riverside Country Clubs; BPOE; Chris Ch; hobbies, fishing, golf, travel; off 220-224 E 3rd; res 1227 W Division, Grand Island.
ARRASMITH, WILLIAM J: Physician & Surgeon; b Underwood, Ia Sept 23, 1888; s of Doria A Arrasmith-Mattie E McCarthy; ed Persia Ia; Harlan Ia HS; U of N; Creighton U, MD 1913; Phi Gamma Delta; Phi Rho Sigma; m Jean Louise Minnich Aug 25, 1915 Palmer; s William C; 1913-14 interne Douglas Co Hosp, Omaha; 1914-18 prac med, Palmer; 1918-22 with Mayo Clinic, Rochester Minn, specialized in surgery & diag-
nosis; 1922- with assocs org & opr Grand Island Clinic, pres; attending surg & instr of surgery for nurses St Francis Hosp, Grand Island; local surg CB&Q RR & Amer Crystal Sugar Co; contributor to professional publications of various articles on surgery; biography in Physicians of the Mayo Clinic & The Mayo Foundation; past pres Hall Co Med Soc; Neb St & AMA; ACS; Industrial Surgs of Amer; dir, Resident & Exresident Soc of Mayo Clinic; dir C of C; AF&AM; Liederkranz Soc; Riverside Country Club; hobbies, golf, fishing, sports; off Grand Island Clinic Bldg; res 2020 W Charles, Grand Island.
AUGUSTINE, ERNEST WEBSTER: Manufacturer & Commercial Printer; b Bruning, Neb Sept 13, 1886; s of Irving Milton Augustlne-Alice T Fitzsimons; ed Grand Island; Grand Island Coll; m Parnelia Mercedes Spethman June 15, 1910 Grand Island; s Webster Pershing, Ernest Keith; d Mercedes; as a boy assisted father in newspaper & printing bus; on leaving sch became ptr of father in bus; sold newspaper & became comml printer; dir Comm Natl Bank, Grand Island; dir several Grand Island bus & industrial orgns; past trustee Grand Island Coll; mbr of personnel advisory com of Neb unemployment compensation div, dept of labor; past VP & builder of YMCA, mbr state bd; ambassador, Ak-Sar-Ben; Natl Advertising Specialty Assn; past dir C of C 25 years; Rotary; Riverside Country Club; Omaha Athletic Club; Uni Club, Lincoln; Liederkranz Soc; AF&AM; York Rite; KT; Shrine; BPOE; St Paul's English Luth Ch, trustee & treas 30 years; hobbies, horses, fishing; grandfather was English Luth minister & writer; father (dec) founded Bruning Enterprise, Doniphan Eagle, Grand Island Daily Press, Hall Co Free Press; off 118 E 2nd; res 1915 W Charles, Grand Island.
BACHMAN, WILBER JOHN: Livestock Dealer; b Stockham, Neb Feb 18, 1907; s of John Bachman-Annie Crain; ed St Libory; Grand Island HS; Colo Sch of Mines, Golden Colo; Beta Theta Pi; m Viola Meves May 16, 1929 Grand Island; s Robert; d Carolyn; 1923-25 with First Natl Bank, Grand Island; 1925- in cattle bus at Grand Island & Chappell; 1932- in whol & retail gas & oil bus, Grand Island; 1936- owner & opr sales barn, Chappell; 1938- VP Webb Livestock Commission co, Grand Island; Neb Interior Livestock Marketing Assn; C of C; past mbr Kiwanis; AF&AM 33; BPOE; Bapt Ch; hobby, hunting; res 1323 W 1st, Grand Island.
BALD, FRANKLIN LOUIS: Farmer & Dairyman; b Aurora, Neb Nov 20, 1878; s of Louis Bald-Matilda Kemper; ed Aurora; m Lena R Wilson Dec 23, 1903 Aurora; s Virgil, Louis; d Jenne Lea (Mrs Hugo Carter), Alice (Mrs Cleo Smith), Ilene (Mrs Howard Patton), Eleanor (Mrs Earl Brittin); assisted father with farm, then farmed indep until 1920, Aurora; 1920- farmer, Wood River; 1930-dairyman; Past mbr sch bd, 13 Years at Aurora, 9 years at Wood River; AF&AM, past master at Wood River; Scot Rite; Presby Ch, trustee; hobbies, home, bus; res Wood River.
BARNEBEY, ARTHUR LINCOLN: Retired; b Jeffersonville Ind Mar 15, 1860; s of William Burk Barnebey-Mary Whiteside; ed Monroe Co, Mo; Central Bus Coll, Sedalia Mo; m Frances Anne Walker Oct 18, 1883 Macon Co Mo; s Oscar Leonard, Walker, Hoyt; d Ruby, Lela (Mrs Lloyd McAllister), Ethel, Zella (Mrs Glenwood Rickard), Pauline; 1879-83 tchr, Shelby & Macon Cos Mo; 1884-86 tchr, Hughesville Mo; 1887-90 & 1893-94 tchr, Rockville; 1890-93 tchr Boelus; 1894-96 tchr, Cairo; 1896-99 tchr, Mason City; 1899-1904 farmed, Cairo; 1904-08 P M, Cairo; 1908-12 in mdse bus, Lincoln; 1912-34 in real est & auditing bus, Cairo; 1917-19 tchr, Cairo; 1934- ret; res Cairo.
BARTENBACH, GEORGE WASMER: Owner Advertising Co; b Grand Island, Neb Aug 11, 1897; s of Henry J Bartenbach-Elfrieda Wasmer; ed Grand Island HS 1920; Ia St Coll; m Dorothy Irene Morrison Sept 27, 1929 Grand Island; s Henry Arthur; d Gretchen Elfrieda; 1880 became half owner & mgr H G Bartenbach & Son, since father's death in 1933 has been mgr & is 3rd generation to opr bus; owner Bartenbach Poster Advertising of Grand Island, bus property, farms near Grand Island, farm & oil lands in Okla; Fedn of Neb Retailers; BPOE, past exalted ruler; past comm Amer Leg, 4 star mbr; past chef de gare 40 & 8; com mbr Amer Leg Jr Baseball League; Neb Master Painters Assn, assoc mbr; C of C dir, chmn of aviation; Liederkranz Soc; Gun Club; Izaak Walton; Riverside Country Club; AF&AM; RAM; KT; Shrine; Tehama Temple; during World, War ent U S army Sept 18, 1918, training detachment, Manhattan Kas, disch Dec 20, 1918; English Luth Ch; hobby, aviation, holds private pilot's license, formerly flew own plane; maternal grandfather signer of original city charter came to Grand Island 1864, father came 1872; H J Bartenbach & Son oldest bus in Grand Island continuously oprd by one family & founded in 1880 by paternal grandfather; off 209 N Locust; res 1403 W Division, Grand Island.
BECKMANN, DIEDRICH OTTO: Clerk of District Court; b Grand Island, Neb Jan 19, 1879; s of August F Beckmann-Emelia Vieregg; ed Hall Co; Grand Island Bus Coll 1904; m Emma Bruhn Oct 1, 1908 Grand Island; s Paul; d Bernadine; 1909-32. secy-treas Grand Island Plumbing Co; 1935- clk of dist court, Grand Island; during Sp-Amer War, ent U S army May 1898, Co M, 2nd Neb vol inf, Grand Island unit, disch Oct 1898; past secy, past comm USWV; Neb Assn of Clks of Dist Court; C of C: Plattdeutsche Verein; Liederkranz Soc; Sons of Hermann; BPOE; English Luth Ch; hobbies, hunting, fishing, dancing; off Courthouse; res 312 S Walnut, Grand Island.
BELTZER, OREN ALLEN: President Trust Co; b Stratton, Neb Mar 20, 1888; s of Jacob E Beltzer-Margaret Thompson; ed Arapahoe HS; U of N 1905-10; U of Penn; Kappa Sigma; m Nellie Marie Schreff Mar 4, 1912 St Joseph Mo; s James, William Allen; d Joanne; 1910-11 played professional baseball, Philadelphia Amer League; 1911-17 with brother James owner of Neb Indian Ball Team; 1917-24 in theater & real est bus Lincoln; 1924-28 VP Grand Island Trust Co, 1928- pres; C of C; BPOE; Liederkranz; Riverside Country Club; BPOE; hobbies, hunting, golf; off 212 N Locust; res 2016 W 1st, Grand Island.
BENTON, MRS IDA M: Homemaker; b Portage Co, Wis Oct 5, 1859; d of James Squire-Jane McCune; ed Aida; Cameron; m Charles S Benton Mar 20, 1879 Cameron (dec 1911); s Seward Ralph (dec 1936); came with family to Neb 1872, located at Alda: thought to be only survivor of original settlers of Cameron neighborhood; still owns & leases original homestead which husband farmed; 1906 came to Cairo; hobbies, gardening, yard; res Cairo.
BERNSTEIN, FRITZ: Safety Director of Power Co; b Grand Island, Neb Nov 2, 1887; s of Theodore Bernstein-Voss Wiecke; ed Grand Island; m Margaret S Nichols June, 1919 Broken Bow; s Thomas T; d Mary M, Nan; 1901-05 delivery boy, S N Wolbach Dept Store; 1905-07 with Grand Island Electric Co; 1907-08 mgr light plant, Ord; also in electrical dept of Illinois Steel Co & in wiring dept of Commonwealth Edison Co, Chicago; 1908-10 mgr wiring & line dept, Central Power Co, Grand Island; 1911-13 with Portland Railway, Light & Power Co, Portland Ore; 1913-17 in wiring & line dept of Central Power Co of Grand Island, became bus solicitor when Grand Island Electric Co was absorbed; 1923-25 bus solicitor Central Power Co, 1925-33 mgr purchasing & stores dept; 1933- in chg of fire & accident prevention work of Central Power Co; during World War ent U S army Sept 1917, 314th, field signal batt, 89th div, disch June 1919; AF&AM; 1st chmn state safety com of Amer Leg, past comm post 53; Neb, Electric Assn, past chmn employes safety conf; res 811 W 16th, Grand Island.
BOCK, RUDOLPH WILLIAM: County Supervisor; b Preetz, Holstein Province, Germany Apr 13, 1870: s of Hans Henrich Bock-Magdelina Margeritha Bock; ed dist 1 first pub sch in Hall Co; private tutor; m Sadie E Merchant May 16, 1889 Grand Island; d Mary (Mrs Allen Nevins); 1880 came with parents to Amer, settled in Hall Co where father was tchr; emp 1 year on John Tiedgen Ranch, Battle Creek; 1886-94 emp in Bee Hive Store of Roeser & Co, Grand Island; 1894-97 traveling representative for McCord-Brady Whol Groc Co, Omaha; 1897-1902 mgr Bee Hive Store of Oscar Roeser, Grand Island; 1902-06 with brother in Pure Food Groc, Grand Island; 1906-23 owner & opr Pure Food Groc; 1924 in mfg bus; 1925-29 service sales representative for Central Power Co, Grand Island; 1929-38 managed own ints; 1938- Hall Co supvr, 2nd ward of Grand Island; mbr city coun 3 times; org Co M NNG, commd lt; 7 years secy UCT; Dist Co Supvrs Assn; AF&AM 33; RAM; KT, Tehama Shrine; OES; English Luth Ch, coun mbr; hobbies, home, yard, nature; off Courthouse; res 1709 W Koenig, Grand Island.
BONA, STANISLAUS V: Bishop; b Chicago, Ill Oct 1, 1888; s of John Bona-Catherine Smigiel; ed St Casimir's & John Spry grade schs, Chicago; St Stanislaus Coll, Chicago; N Amer Coll, Rome Italy; Propaganda U, Rome Italy, PhD, DD, JCL; 1913-16 asst, St Barbara's Ch, Chicago; 1916-19 chaplain House of Correction, Chicago; 1918-22 prof, Quigley Prep Seminary, Chicago; 1923-32 pastor, St Casimir's Ch, Chicago; 1928-32 supvr of Religious Communities for Women in archdiocese of Chicago; 1931 apptd private chamberlain of Holy Father, title Very Rev Monsignor; Dec 1931 apptd bishop of diocese of Grand Island; Feb, 1932 consecrated by His Eminence George Cardinal Mundelein, Archbishop of Chicago; Mar 1932 installed as Bishop of Grand Island in Cathedral of Nativity of Blessed Virgin Mary; res 204 2nd, Grand Island.
BOWEN, HOMER: Pharmacist; b Vales Mills, O Jan 22, 1876; s of William J Bowen-Harriett Chapman; ed Vales Mills O; Wilkesville O Acad; Creighton U; m Bertha L Brown Mar 4, 1912 Cody Wyo; d Harriett (Mrs Jim Bost); 1896-98 sch tchr, Radcliff O, 1897 tchr, Akins Mills O; 1898-99 sch tchr, Vales Mills O; 1900-02 sch tchr, Wood River; 1903-06 prin, Phillips schs; 1903-08 owner & opr drug bus, Phillips; 1909 became registered Pharm; 1909-12 oprd Jerry Bowen drug bus, Wood River; 1914- in drug bus, Grand Island; owner Grand Island property; candidate for mayor of Grand Island 1939; mbr Charter Commission of Grand Island; past pres bd of edn; Neb Pharm Assn; NARD, mbr aux com; C of C; ch mbr, 1st pres Cosmopolitan Club; Kiwanis; Uni Club, Lincoln; AF&AM, treas; BPOE; St Stephen's Episc Ch, vestryman; hobbies, flower gardening, home, yard; off 4th & Pine; res 1824 W Division, Grand Island.
BREWER, ROY MARTIN: State President of Labor Union; b Cairo, Neb Aug 9, 1909; s of Martin M Brewer-Lottie B Woodworth; ed Sutherland; Grand Island HS; Grand Island Coll; m Alyce Auhl July 19, 1929 Lexington; s Roy Martin Jr; d Ramona Rae; 1921 emp by Pastime Theater, Sutherland; 1923 projectionist for Plainview Theater; 1926-27 projectionist & relief worker Empress Theater, Grand Island; 1927 projectionist Majestic Theater; 1927- projectionist Capitol Theater; Neb St Fedn of Labor, 1928- del to state convs, legislative representative, Past VP 3 terms, 1933- pres, so far as known youngest man ever to hold presidency of a state fedn of labor; 1929 org, secy & pres Grand Island CLU; NRA 1934-35, Neb St Labor compliance ofcr; 1936 Grand Island campaign mgr for Sen Norris; Internatl Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employes & Moving Picture Machine Oprs, pres, mbr since 1927; FOE; Chris Ch; hobbies, photography, travel, golf; off Labor Temple; res 412 W 13th, Grand Island.
BROWN, BYRON LEONARD: Editor & Publisher; b Kearney, Neb July 13, 1908; s of Ulysses A Brown-Carrie S Crawford; ed Kearney; Arnold HS 1926; m Eloise Ada Ricker June 4, 1931 Lexington; d Wendy Kay; 1926-30 with father on Arnold Sentinel; 1930-32 asst publisher Stapleton Enterprise; 1932 with father published Wood River Sunbeam; 1932-33 lessee & publisher Cairo Record; 1933-34 advertising mgr Grand Island Herald, 1934-37 lessee, editor & publisher, 1938- owner, editor & publisher; past Neb dir U S Jr C of C natl magazine, Future; past bus mgr Jr C of C Gazette; NPA; Jr C of C; Sr C of C; Woodland Country Club; Episc Ch; hobbies, tennis, swimming; grandfather, Mentor A Brown (dec 1933) founded Kearney Daily Hub, which he published 50 years; father, former publisher of Arnold Sentinel, Wood River Sunbeam & Grand Island Herald; off 315 W 2nd; res 410 W Charles, Grand Island.
BROWN, EDGAR LEONIDAS: President & Manager Wholesale Co; b Central City, Neb Aug 31, 1878; s of Capt Charles E Brown-Martha E McDonald; ed Grand Island HS; U of N; life mbr Sigma Chi; m Kathleen Erskine, Los Angeles Cal; 1900-06 with Grand Island Groc Co, Grand Island; 1907-14 traveling representative for Dolan Fruit Co, Grand Island; 1914- org, pres & mgr Brown Fruit Co with branches at Fairbury, Kearney & North Platte; chmn of com for pur of StolIey State Park of Grand Island; Neb Fruit Jobbers Assn, past pres 3 terms; United Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Assn, past mbr advisory bd 2 terms; C of C, past dir 10 years; past st pres Neb Good Roads Assn; Lincoln Highway Assn, councilor, 1939 del to natl conv, San Francisco; Woodland Country Club; Riverside Golf Club; BPOE, past exalted ruler; Presby Ch; hobbies, travel, golf; off 355 N Pine; res 408 W Koenig, Grand Island.
BROWN, MENTOR ALSWORTH: Associate Editor & Production Superintendent; b Kearney, Neb Nov 12 1906; s of Ulysses A Brown-Carrie S Crawford; ed Kearney; Arnold HS 1925, mbr track, baseball & basketball teams, 1924 state champion pole vault; m Marjorie L Koch June 18, 1931 Kearney; s Larry Kent; 1925-32 in mechanical & advertising depts of Arnold Sentinel, owned by father; 1932- 33 with new owner of Arnold Sentinel; 1933-34 in mechanical & advertising depts of Grand Island Herald, owned by father; 1938- assoc editor & production supt, Grand Island Herald; NPA; C of C; Woodland Country Club; 17 years active in semi-professional baseball; 1937 Arnold tennis champion; Episc Ch: hobbies, athletics, golf, played in Grand Island championship tournaments; grandfather, Mentor A Brown (dec 1933) founded Kearney Daily Hub which he published 50 years, father former publisher of Arnold Sentinel, Wood River Sunbeam & Grand Island Herald; off 315 W 2nd; res 1109 W 3rd, Grand Island.
BUCHANAN, RAY LEO: Store Manager; b Trenton, Mo Sept 22, 1896; s of Scott Buchanan-Enga Merryman; ed Grundy Co, Mo; Altamont Mo HS 1913; Mo Wes, Cameron Mo; m Mabel Steele Oct 10, 1916 St Joseph Mo; s Billy Joe; 1914-16 with father in Buchanan & Sons Gen Store, Winston Mo; 1916-17 with Blue Valley Creamery, St Joseph Mo: 1917 in pasteurizing dept Blue Valley Creamery, Hastings; with J P Larson org Topaz Dairy; 1918-19 with Rutledge Creamery, Cameron Mo; 1919-22 mgr Parks Creamery Co, Lawton Okla; 1922-23 mgr Fuller Creamery Co, Lawton Okla; 1923 with Safeway System, O P Skaggs Cash Stores at Reno Nev; 1923-24 mgr at Petaluma Calif, 1924 buyer in gen off at Oakland Cal, 1924-25 mgr of San Jose Cal unit, 1925 off supvr at Ogden Utah, 1925 dist mgr at Cheyenne Wyo, 1925 mgr Greeley Colo unit, 1925-28 mgr Pocatello Ida unit, 1928- 31 buyer in off at Seattle Wash, 1931-33 store supvr for state of Mo hdqrs at Kansas City, 1933-dist mgr Safeway Stores, Grand Island; Woodland Country Club: Safeway Employes Assn; C of C; Kiwanis, lt gov of 7th div Ia-Neb dist & past pres; AF&AM; hobby, photography; off 1301 W N Front: res 2415 W Charles, Grand Island.
BUCKOW, HERMAN FREDERICK: Abstractor & insurance Agent: b Grand Island, Neb Nov 4, 1898: s of Christian Buckow-Mathilda Guenther; ed Hall Co; m Verna Shehein Dec 23, 1926 Chicago; as boy aided father in farming; 1917-19 dep clk of dist court, Grand Island: 1919- opr abstract & ins bus; 1922 with Richard Buenz, pur abstract & ins bus of John Allan & Sons, was also clk of dist court short time; 1930 adm to Neb Bar; bd mbr & past pres Neb Title Assn; Amer Title Assn; Neb St Bar Assn; Neb Assn of Ins Agts; C of C; Liederkranz Soc; Riverside Country Club; AF&AM; BPOE; English Luth Ch; hobby, golf; off 112 1/2 N Locust; res Atmar Apts, Grand Island.
BUECHLER, AUGUST FREDERICK: Editor Emeritus; b Staunton, Ill Jan 20, 1869; s of Rev Christian Buechler-Hannah Niehaus; ed O; Carleton; Capitol U, Columbus O 1884-90; m Lydia Hannah Boehm Nov 26, 1901 Grand Island (dec May 29. 1936); s Maj Theodore E, Walter E: d Ethel (Mrs A A Roeser), Catherine (Mrs Harold Buenz); 1883 came with parents to Neb; 1883-84 -copyist in off of Thayer Co clk, Hebron; 1884 emp by Sidney Truesdell in gen store, Carleton: 1890-91 solicitor for Grand Island Morning Times; 1891-95 bkkpr & in news dept under Fred Hedde, founder of Grand Island Daily Independent; 1895-97 with assocs, leased & published Grand Island Daily Independent; 1897- 1900 ptr of Fred Hedde, in publication; 1900 with assocs org Independent Publishing Co, publishers of Grand Island Independent, pres & editor until 1930, VP & editor until Jan 1939 when resigned, but retained as editor emeritus; subscriptions increased from 366 at time of orgn to approximately 14,000 now; 1911-14 P M, estab 4th St branch P O; initiated movement for city power plant; past pres city Improvement Assn, instrumental in obtaining Memorial Park & Broadwell Square, mbr Buechler Park named in recognition of activities in connection with Stolley State Park, Memorial Park & HS athletic parks; past chmn fund com for pur of Stolley State Park; past mbr Neb State Park bd under Gov Adam McMullen; wrote Hall Co history for this publication; 1933 Neb dist NRA supvr, past mbr Neb emergency relief com & mbr first state planning bd which received & listed CWA projects; instrumental in obtaining U S radio monitoring station; sponsor of Grand Island airport; chmn of special com on Platte River water conservation; mbr city zoning commission; dir Hall Co Fair; supporter Grand Island Coll; recd 1st award of Amer Leg for use-
ful citizenship; mbr vol fire dept 5 years; during World War secy Hall Co war activities com; past dir & past mbr exec com NPA; past pres Loup Valley Editorial Assn; C of C, an org, past pres & past secy; Neb St Assn of Comml Clubs, secy 2 years; Hall Co Hist Soc; ch mbr Lincoln Highway Assn; Liederkranz Soc, past pres 2 terms; St Paul's English Luth Ch, oldest mbr, elder past 40 years; hobbies, yard, gardening; res 1005 W Charles, Grand Island.
BUECHLER, WALTER EDWARD: Editor; b Grand Island, Neb Feb 24, 1898; s of August Frederick Buechler-Lydia Hannah Boehm; ed Grand Island HS 1916; Grand Island Coll; s Gerald Boehm; 1917-18 reporter, Grand Island Daily Independent; 1919-30 teleg editor; 1930- city editor; during World War, ent U S army May 1918 stationed at Jefferson Barracks Mo & Camp Humphries Va, O/S 10 mos with service Co A 138th engrs, disch July 1919; past comm Amer Leg; 40 & 8; NPA; past pres C of C; Liederkranz Soc.. Riverside Country Club; past exalted ruler BPOE; St Paul's English Luth Ch; hobby, hunting; off Grand Island Daily Independent; res 1005 W Charles, Grand Island.
BUENZ, RICHARD: Register of Deeds; b Grand Island, Neb Dec 29, 1874; s of John Buenz-Mary Dreesen; ed Grand Island; Grand Island Bus Coll; m Amanda Paulsen Nov 24, 1904 Grand Island; s Harold; d Helen (Mrs William C Campbell); until 1910, emp in cigar store of Henry Schlotfeldt, later in Henry Voss cigar store, Grand Island; 1910-11 Hall Co clk; 1911- Hall Co register of deeds, Grand Island; C of C; Liederkranz Soc; Plattdeutsche Verein; AF&AM; RAM; BPOE; Dem, 12 years past secy Hall Co Central Com; hobbies, bowling, baseball, golf; off Courthouse; res 2112 W Division, Grand Island.
BURD, ELMER E: Manager Life Insurance Co: b Pleasant Dale, Neb Aug 19, 1880; s of Alexander N Burd-Nancy Van Andelburg; ed Pleasant Dale; LBC 1918; m Fanny G Rossiter Dec 1904 Omaha; 1898-1912 farmer & salesman for furn. co, Lincoln; 1912-14 agt for Metropolitan Ins Co, Lincoln; 1914-25 asst mgr Metropolitan Ins Co at Lincoln, 1925- mgr at Grand Island; C of C, chmn ins com; pres Grand Island Bd of Fire & Casualty Underwriters; AF&AM; Scot Rite 32o; Tehama Shrine; off 218 1/2 N Locust; res 1508 Koenig, Grand Island.
BURDICK, CLARENCE WILLIAM: City Commissioner; b Westerville, Neb Jan 26, 1891; s of George J Burdick-Nellie Mae Grierson; ed Fremont; Hastings HS; Grand, Island Coll 1910-12; Armour Inst of Technology, Chicago; m S Genevieve Druliner Oct 22, 1913 Grand Island; s Roger N; d Betsy Mae; 1909-14 with electrical dept, city of Grand Island; 1914-15 with Grand Island Electric Co, now Central Power Co; 1915-20 mgr electrical dept, city of Grand Island; 1920- city light, water & ice commr; past mbr water com, past mbr industrial com, C of C; Grand Island Engrs Club; League of Neb Municipalities, dir & past VP utilities section; Trinity Meth Ch, custodian & past treas bldg bd; hobby, travel; off City Hall; res 717 W 10th, Grand Island.
BURGER, ALBERT DONIPHAN: Retired; b Doniphan, Neb Aug 3, 1879; s of William James Burger-Martha Ann Creason; ed Doniphan HS 1894; Grand Island Bus Coll 1895; m Claribel Munroe Jan 1, 1900 Doniphan; as boy assisted father on farm; 1895-1919 with father in merc bus, also in livestock bus, Doniphan; 1919-20 in Augustine Auto Agcy, Doniphan; 1921 & 1930 traveled in Cal; 1921-35 in merc bus, Doniphan; 1935- mgr own ints, also emp by Neb St & U S govts; past mbr town bd during installation of water & light system; during World War active in raising funds, food administrator & head of draft bd, Doniphan; past master AF&AM, Scot Rite, 32o, Tehama Shrine; Dem, past pct committeeman, wife now pct committee woman; hobby, travel, baseball; father came to Doniphan 1864, was farmer & stock raiser, oprd Orchard P O south of Platte River; helped survey RR & town of Doniphan 1879, participated in Indian fighting; in merc bus, Doniphan; res Doniphan.
BURKMAN, CLARENCE C: Assistant Store Manager; b Park City, Utah Oct 5, 1898; s of Theodore Burkman-Mary McKissick; ed Garfield Utah HS 1916; m Myrtle Rushton Oct 20, 1918 Salt Lake City; s Douglas R, Donald C, Ted Ray; d Carol Jean; 1916-17 clk in meat market & groc Garfield, Utah; 1917-21 learned pattern making trade with Utah Copper Co, Garfield Utah; 1921-23 meat cutter for O P Skaggs Groc & Meat Market, later mgr stores at Reno Nev, Oakland Calif, Logan Utah, Salt Lake City, Wichita Kas & Kansas City Kas; 1923 supvr Safeway Stores, in with Skaggs Stores, Kansas City, Kas; now asst dist mgr Safeway Stores, Grand Island; C of C; past dir Rotary; branch pres Latter Day Saints Ch, past first & second councilor; hobbies, hunting, reading; off 1301 W N Front; res 2308 W Charles, Grand Island.
CADY, ADDISON EDGERTON: President Loan & Trust Co; b Schuyler, Neb Apr 22, 1884; s of Addison E Cady-Nellie E Hessler; ed St Paul HS 1903; Shattuck Mil Acad 1905, Faribault Minn; m Lucille Kotik Oct 7, 1908 St Paul; s Addison E; 1903-19 with Neb Merc Co, Grand Island; 1919- opr Neb Loan & Trust Co; 1936 with assocs org C & G Finance Co, 1936- past pres; past capt NNG, recruited local co from Grand Island for service on Mexican border; pres Grand Island Abstract Co; C of C; ch mbr Rotary; Riverside Country Club; AF&AM 320; Tehama Shrine; past mbr BPOE; Episc Ch; Rep, past mbr Neb St Central Com; hobbies, fishing, hunting, golf; off 211 N Locust; res 701 W Division, Grand Island.
CARROLL, HUGO VICTOR: Attorney; b Stockton, Kas June 9, 1909; s of Sam C Carroll-Anna B Toepffer; ed Topeka, Kas HS 1926; U of Omaha 1926-28; U of N, LLB 1931; Phi Delta Phi; Delta Phi Gamma; m Dorothy Stuckey Nov 3, 1932 Lexington; d Joan; 1931 in claim dept Mutual Benefit Health & Accident Assn, Omaha; 1931-34 mgr claim dept Mutual Health & Accident Assn, Chicago; 1931 adm to Neb bar; 1934 adm to. Ill bar; 1934-35 mgr claim dept Abraham Lincoln Life Ins Co, Springfield Ill;. 1935-prac law in firm of Carroll & Willard, Grand Island; Hall Co & Neb St Bar. Assns; 1st pres Jr C of C; 2 years dir Sr C of C; Rotary; dir Riverside Country Club; Liederkranz Soc; BPOE; Presby Ch; Rep, mbr State Central Com, 30th unicameral dist; Neb YR Club, secy, 1938 del to natl conv, Kansas City Mo; off First Natl Bank Bldg; res 1521 W Division, Grand Island.
CARTER, JOHN JAMES JR: Baker; b Wood River, Neb Dec 7, 1904; s of John James Carter Sr-Carrie Ayers; ed Wood River HS 1923; Hastings Bus Coll 1925; m Gladys Diener Dec 19, 1927 Kearney; assisted father in mill until 1919; 1919-24 with Rounds Merc Store, Wood River; 1925-33 with credit dept, Standard Oil Co of Neb, North Platte; 1933-34 in credit dept Standard Oil Co, Omaha; 1934- opr Carter Bakery, Wood River; mbr city coun; C of C, past secy 3 years; jr warden AF&AM; assoc patron OES; Presby Ch; hobbies, hunting & guns; res Wood River.
CHAMBERLAIN, RAYMOND DICKSON: Advertising Manager; b Denver, Colo May 21, 1909; s of Daniel Edward Chamberlain-Jennie Dickson; ed Grand Island HS; U of Chicago; while in sch, was emp evenings, Saturdays & during HS & coll by Grand Island Daily Independent; on leaving coll became solicitor in advertising dept, & asst advertising mgr, Grand Island Daily Independent, 1932- advertising mgr; Daily Advertising Mgrs Assn of NPA; Midwest Advertising Mgrs Assn; Jr C of C; Sr C of C; AF&AM; Presby Ch; hobbies, hunting, sports; off Grand Island Daily Independent; res 1118 W 7th, Grand Island.
CHEATUM, ARTHUR ROBERT: Store Manager; b Lewistown, Mo Oct 13, 1881; s of James H Cheatum-Susan Katherine Bixler; ed LaBelle Mo; m Hadassah Mae Hemphill Nov 6, 1901 Pretty Prairie Kas; d Thelma (Mrs William Cope), Leonera (Mrs Earl Snyder); 1896-1902 farmed with father; 1902-98 farmed, Kingman Co Kas; 1908-09 in restaurant bus, American Fork, Utah; 1911-18 in retail seed house & produce bus, Montrose Colo; 1918-20 worked in Model Flour Mill, Greeley Colo; 1920-39 mgr Reuler Stores in various places; 1939- mgr Reuler Store, Grand Island; past mbr C of C, Scottsbluff & Grand Island; Scottsbluff Country Club; Riverside Country Club; hobbies, golf, bridge; off 112 W 3rd; res Yancey Hotel, Grand Island.
CHEATUM, MRS HADASSAH MAE: Store Vice-President; b Pretty Prairie Kas Dec 12, 1884; d of William Boston Hemphill-Margarette Henerette Rhomestock; ed Pretty Prairie, Kas; Amer Coll of Dressmaking, Kansas City, Mo; grad work Kopp's Brothers, New York City; m Arthur Robert Cheatum Nov 6, 1901 Pretty Prairie Kas; d Thelma (Mrs William Cope), Leonera (Mrs Earl Snyder); 1902-09 dressmaker, Kingman, Kas; 1910-12 in dressmaking & alteration dept, Strass & Silverburg Store, Montrose Colo; 1912-18 mgr Humphries Dept Store, Montrose
part 1: County History, Abbott - Cheatum | part 2: Clark - H Howard
part 3: Z Howard - Neumann | part 4: Neumayer - Stolley | part 5: Streetmaker - Zuspan
Who's Who in Nebraska (introduction & directory, list of abbreviations)
Visit Hall County website
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller