Early Settlement | Organization | County Seat Troubles
Part 2: Investigation of Treasurer Van Sickle
The Agricultural Society | Progress of the County | Storms
Prosperity of the County | Schools | Public Buildings
Part 3: Kearney Junction: Troubles with Cowboys
The Murder of Milton M. Collins
Part 4: Kearney Junction (cont.): Criminal | Bank Failure
Religious | Lodges and Societies | The Press | Education
Business Interests | Buda (Kearney Station).
Part 5: Kearney (cont.): Biographical Sketches
Part 6: Kearney (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 7: Kearney (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 8: Gibbon: Biographical Sketches
Part 9: Shelton: Biographical Sketches
List of Illustrations in Buffalo County Chapter
A. E. AITKEN, dealer and trader in real estate, etc., located in Kearney, Neb., In September, 1872, and engaged first in erecting dwelling houses for a few months, was also Deputy Postmaster until 1873, and kept a stationery store in connection with the post office. He then rented the Commercial Hotel, and run the same about two years, then sold out and went to Sacramento, Cal. where he had an uncle in the marble business, for whom he worked as traveling salesman a few months. He then returned to Kearney, Neb., and became agent for the Black Hills Stage & Bridge Company for about four months, after which he began the erection of the Aitken House, which he kept until the latter part of 1881, then rented the same, and since has been engaged in the real estate business. He was born in Cornwall, Upper Canada, July 4, 1845, and was raised on a farm until he was seventeen. He then enlisted in Company A Third Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry; was a participant in the battles of Chattanooga, Tenn., and Atlanta, Georgia. On the third day of the latter battle he was captured and held a prisoner five months; was finally paroled, and soon rejoined his regiment at Rollins, N. C., and served until the close of the war, and was mustered out in Davenport, Iowa. He then went to Dubuque, Iowa as steward in a hotel for three years, and became a partner in an eating house at Farley, Iowa; then went to Colorado on a prospecting tour; then returned, and finally located in Kearney. He was married in Hopkintown, Delaware Co., Iowa, in 1867, to Miss Emma Down, of Fort Covington, Franklin Co., N. Y. They have two daughters--Luella and Edith M. Mr. Aitken is a member of Sedgwick Post, No. l, G. A. R.
DAVID ANDERSON, farmer, located in Kearney Precinct four miles west of the city of Kearney, on Section 6, on a homestead of 160 acres, in March, 1872. He has since added to his farm, and now owns 240 acres, of which 210 acres are improved. He first located in Elm Creek in the spring of 1871, and farmed a year. He was born in Lake County, Ind., April 28, 1839. He lived on a farm with his parents until he was eighteen years of age. He then visited many portions of the United States and California, where he engaged in mining and prospecting. He went from the latter State to Nevada in 1860, locating at Mono Lake, and engaged in mining for a year, then returned to Indiana. He enlisted in Company K, Fifth Regiment Indiana Cavalry, in August, 1862. He was promoted to Orderly Sergeant, Second Lieutenant, First Lieutenant and then to the Captaincy of the company. He participated in all of the campaigns of Gen. Stoneman--campaigns of Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama and Virginia and many engagements and raids; was in the raid after Gen. Morgan; and assisted to capture his (Morgan's) officers, numbering sixty-two men, including Charles Morgan, from whom Mr. Anderson captured his pistols. Mr. Anderson was made prisoner near Macon, Ga., July 28, 1863, and was held until September 28, 1863. He was mustered out in September, 1864, after which he re-enlisted as Captain of Company I, Sixth Regiment Indiana Cavalry; was engaged in scouting, and served until the close of the war, and was then mustered out in Murfreesboro, Tenn., in November, 1865. He returned to Indiana, then went to Woodford County, Ill., and farmed for five years, after which he traveled as salesman of patent rights for two years; then came to Nebraska. He was elected Sheriff of Buffalo County, Neb., in the fall of 1874, and held the office three terms. During his term of office he took thirty-two prisoners to the State prison, among whom were the notorious murderers--Jordan P. Smith and S. D. Richards, the murderers of Mrs. Harlston and her three children. This same Richards was known to be the murderer of eight persons, and was captured through the influence of Mr. Anderson at Steubenville, Ohio. He also captured Dutch Henry, a notorious horse-thief of Western Kansas and Southwest Nebraska. The sheriff was obliged to shoot him before capturing him. Twenty-seven bullet marks were found on his person. He has made at least one hundred important captures during his term of service. He was married in Woodford County Ill., January 24, 1867, to Miss Maggie Sinclair, a native of Tazewell County, Ill., born in 1849. Mrs. Anderson is noted as preventing the escape of eleven notorious prisoners, two of whom were murderers and the balance horse-thieves, in March, 1878. The prisoners had made an opening through the stone wall on the south side of the jail by removing a large stone. One of the worst of the gang had just got through the opening, and was on the outside of the jail, when Mrs. Anderson took a revolver and obliged him to go back into his cell. Mr. Anderson is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Kearney. They have a daughter and a son--Jennie and Charles D.
H. C. ANDREWS, of the firm of Andrews & Grable, attorneys and collecting agents, established the business in 1878, under the present firm name. They do a large collecting business, and have now on hand for collection $250,000 worth of paper. Mr. Andrews was born in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, October 19, 1845. He enlisted in Company D, Eighth Iowa Cavalry; participated in the Atlanta campaign; was taken prisoner at Newnan, Ga., and confined in Andersonville, Ga., and several other rebel prisons, and after having spent ten months in the South, he was finally exchanged, and was mustered out at Annapolis, Md., June 28, 1865. He soon went to Mount Ayr, Iowa, and began the study of law in the law office of Laughlin & Keller, remaining about two years, and, being admitted to the bar on April 1, 1878, he then began practice. He was elected County Superintendent of Schools one term, after which he was elected Clerk of the Court for Ringgold County, and served one term. He took the United States census of the same county for 1870; continued practice until 1873, when he moved to Kearney, Neb., and continued his profession. He was married in Bedford, Taylor Co., Iowa, in 1871, to Miss Mary F. Campbell, of Quincy, Fla. They have two children--Kenneth R. and Ralph F. Mr. Andrews is a member of the subordinate lodge and encampment, I. O. O. F. Also a member of Sedgwick Post. No. 1, G. A. R.
REV. THOMAS H. AYARS, pastor of the First Congregational Church of Kearney, was born in Salem County, N. J., April 19, 1831. He began the study of law at the age of eighteen, entering the University of Virginia, in Charlottesville, Va., and graduating from the law department in 1853; was admitted to the bar in 1854. He went to Chicago, Ill.; practiced law, and engaged in real estate business until 1874, when he came to Lee County, Ill., and engaged in preparation for the ministry, in which he has since been actively engaged, making the latter county his home until 1880. He enlisted in Gen. George B. McClellan's staff; was wounded at Gaines' Mill, by a saber, in the side. He was incapacitated for further service, returned to Chicago, Ill., and never returned to active service, but had charge of the ordnance work in the District of Columbia just prior to the close of the war.
WINFIELD S. BALL, Sheriff of Buffalo County, Neb., being located in the same in the fall of 1881. He first located in Buffalo County in Center Precinct, on a homestead, in October, 1878, and still carries on his farm. He was born in Bloomingburg, Fayette Co., Ohio, March 26, 1843. He was raised in a village; enlisted at the age of eighteen, September, 1861, in Company C, Twentieth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Vicksburg, Sherman's raid through Mississippi to Meridian, Kenesaw Mountain and campaign about Atlanta, Ga., on Sherman's march to the sea, at the siege of Savannah, Ga., then up through the Carolinas to Richmond, thence to Louisville, Ky. Being mustered out July 15, 1865, he returned home, and in 1867, went to Johnson County, Mo., and engaged in farming nine years; after which he went to Atchison County, Kas., and engaged in farming two years; then moved to Nebraska. He was married in Bloomingburg, Ohio, February 19, 1867, to Lissie Larrimer, of the latter place. She was born March 25, 1849. They have three children--Mary Louesa, born December 5, 1871; Howard Manning, born September 9, 1874, and Albert Oscar, March 19, 1878.
JOHN BARND, County Judge, attorney and counselor at law, collecting agency and private land agent, located in Kearney in the spring of 1874 and began the practice of law. He was born in Finley, Hancock Co., Ohio, February 2, 1844. His father was a physician. The son was raised in a village. He enlisted April 22, 1861, in Company C, Twentieth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry; served until July, 1865; participated in the battles of Fredericktown, Mo., Forts Donelson and Henry, Pittsburgh Landing, Corinth, Britton's Lane, Tenn., Port Gibson and Raymond, being wounded in the head in the latter battle and taken prisoner. He had four bullets shot through his hat in the battle of Raymond, and a ball grazed his right shoulder at Fort Donelson; was slightly wounded in the hip and ball passed through his canteen, and another ball cut his gun-strap nearly in two; was mustered out in Chicago, Ill., July, 1865; began the study of law in McLean County, Ill.; taught school, etc.; was subsequently examined before the Supreme Court of Springfield, Ill., and admitted to the bar January 9, 1874, and removed to Kearney in the spring of 1874. He was married in McLean County, Ill., in May, 1865 to Miss Mary C. Stevenson of Lexington, same county. They have had three children--Susan S., Ruth A., and Lizzie. The oldest, Susan S. died in 1874. Mr. Barnd is a member of Sedgwick Post, No. 1, G. A. R., also a Knights of Honor, No. 1335; was elected County Judge of Buffalo County in the fall of 1879, and re-elected in the fall of 1881.
REUBEN E. BARNEY, proprietor of livery, sale and feed stables, opened the business in the summer of 1877; uses about ten head of horses in his business. He has a fine barn, 50x116 feet, also a corral 50x130 feet, and a wind-mill in the same. He first settled in Lowell, Neb., in 1871, and engaged in livery, real estate, and stock business about six years. He then moved to Kearney and opened his present business. He was born in Olney, Richland County, Ill., August 14, 1843; was raised on a farm; moved, with his parents to Woodford County, Ill., in 1856; He enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Eight Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. After his service in the army, he returned home and lived until he came to Nebraska. He was married, in Kearney, Neb., October 20, 1880, to Miss Mary B. Wilson, of Ohio. They have one son--Robert E. He is a member of the different orders of Masonry in Kearney, being Master of Blue Lodge, Royal Arch Captain in Chapter, Generalissmo in Commandery and is a member of City Council.
C. F. BODINS0N, dealer in general stock--groceries, queens-ware and glassware; established the business in June, 1878, and carries about $6,000 worth of stock to supply his trade; employs four men. He was born in Sweden June 29, 1846; came alone to America in 1865, and settled at Bishop Hill, Henry Co., Ill., and engaged as clerk in a general store about two years; then to Galva, Ill., in same business as before until 1870. He then began the grocery trade, in company with another party, continuing three years; sold out to his partner and opened the grocery business alone, and continued until he moved to Kearney, Neb., in 1878. He was married, December 28, 1870, to Miss Louisa Dahlgren, of Knox County, Ill. They have three sons--Perry Fred, Frank Axel and William Leroy. He is a member of I. O. O. F. of Kearney, Neb., also the K. of H. Lodge, No. 1,335.
A. H. BOLTIN, dealer in flour, feed and all goods in the produce line, also keeps a commission house, opened the business in November, 1879. He first located on a homestead, eight miles east of Kearney, in 1876, where he lived three years, then moved to Kearney City and carried on milling and grinding feed one year, then into the present business. He was born in Delaware County, Ind., December 10, 1844; was raised on a farm until 1862, when he enlisted in Company D, Eighty-fourth Indiana Regiment, and served until September, 1863, and was discharged for disability. He then went to Milford, Ill., and lived until 1865; then to Dayton, Ohio, and clerked for Probate Judge, kept books five years; then went to Indianapolis, Ind., and engaged in manufacturing material for plows, etc., until September; moved to Brown County, Ind., and engaged in the same kind of business about a year; then to Kearney, Neb. He was married, in Dayton, Ohio, in the fall of 1870, to Miss Effie A. Heathman, of the latter city. He is a member of the Sedgwick Post No. 1, and editor National Soldier.
EDWARD A. BRAWLEY, manufacturer and dealer in saddlery, hardware, collars, bridles, whips, robes, light and heavy harness of all styles. He bought out J. B. Flint & Co., in January, 1882, locating in Kearney about that date. He was born in Brownsville, Penn., January 6, 1861. He attended school until he was about seventeen years of age, then learned the above trade. He went to Ottumwa, Iowa, in March, 1869, with his parents, where he lived until he came to Nebraska. He is a member of the I. O. G. T., having filled the office of Worthy Marshal.
PROF. W. I. BROWN, Principal of Kearney High School, was born in Ripton, Vt.. April 18, 1850. He entered the collegiate institution at Fort Edward, N. Y., at the age of seventeen, and remained there about eighteen months. He afterwards finished his preparatory course at the Middlebury, (Vt.) High School, and entered Middlebury, College in 1872 and graduated in 1876, receiving the degree of A. B.; three years afterward received the degree of A. M. He then taught Latin, Greek and higher mathematics in the Rutland (Vt.) Military Institute until the fall of 1879, when he took a regular course in the Boston, (Mass.) University School of Oratory. He then entered the Union Theological, Seminary of 9 University Place, New York City, and remained a year, going to Kearney, Neb., September 1, 1880, where he has since been the Principal. The Kearney High School building was completed October 12, 1881, and contains eight departments. In the main building there are eleven rooms, and ten teachers are employed, with an average attendance of 550 pupils. Among the branches taught are physiology , geology, botany, philosophy, algebra, geometry and civil government, also English literature, book-keeping, Latin, general history, etc. The intelligent classes of people of Kearney may well feel proud of their excellent school, for it is second to none of the state.
CHARLES J. BURKE, dealer in general line of hardware, carries stock to the value of $8,000; opened the business in April, 1880; employs four men. He first came to Nebraska July 4, 1878, locating in Kearney, and engaged as clerk in a hardware store, and finally bought the same and stock; has since continued trade alone. He was born in Sweden September 25, 1853; came to America in 1856, with his parents, and settled at Galesburg, Ill.; Was raised on a farm, and in 1870 went to Mount Pleasant, Iowa, and engaged as clerk in a hardware store, learning tinner's trade, remaining there until he came to Nebraska. He was married, in the latter city, in September, 1877, to Miss Louisa Holt, of Jefferson County, Iowa. They have one daughter, named Lillian Claretta. He is a member of I. O. O. F., Buffalo Lodge, No. 38
E. C. CALKINS, attorney and counselor at law, located in Kearney, Neb., in June 1873, immediately began the practice of his profession. He was born in Erie County, N. Y., June 28, 1847; was raised on a farm; began the study of law in the law office of A. C. Calkins, in Hamburg, N. Y., in 1867; was admitted to the Supreme Court of New York in May, 1869. He then became partner of A. C. Calkins, under the firm name of A. C. & E. C. Calkins, which continued until June, 1873. He enlisted, September 5, 1864, in Company B, Tenth Regiment New York Cavalry; served until June 6, 1865, and was mustered out at camp near Alexandria, Va. He participated in battles of Weldon Railroad, Stony Creek Station (December 1, 1864), Weldon raid (North Carolina), Gerratt's Station, Bell Field, Hatcher's Run(in February, 1865), Dinwiddie Court House, Five Forks, Sailors' Creek, Farmville (April 7, 1865) and Appotmattox Court House. He was a member of Nebraska State Senate in 1877. Was married, in Brownville, Neb., September 20, 1869, to Miss Arethusa J. Patch, of Springfield, N.Y. They have two children--Harrison, born August, 1870; Jessie, born December 2, 1879. Mr. C. is a member of Sedgwick Post No. 1, G. A. R., also K. of H,. No. 1,335
CHLAUS CHRISTENSON, dealer in all kinds of household furniture. Opened the business in October, 1881; carries a stock to value $1,200. He first located in Lincoln, Neb., in 1871, and remained a short time. He settled in Kearney, Buffalo County, on a homestead, and followed farming until 1879; then moved into the city, and lived until 1880; then removed to his farm, and lived until the spring of 1881; moved back to the city, and opened the above business. He was born in Norway April 6, 1837; came to America in 1844. He enlisted in Company G, Fifteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served three years, and was discharged in June, 1864. Participated in battles of Shiloh, Hatcher's Run, siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Miss., and many skirmishes.
C. R CLAPP, proprietor of the Round Front Livery, Sale and Feed Stables; opened the business in October, 1878. Was born in Fairfield, Jefferson Co., Iowa, December 15, 1842; was raised on a farm. He enlisted in Company F, Third Iowa Cavalry; served about four years, returned to his home, and went to Kansas in 1872, locating in Mankato, and farmed two years, then returned to his native county; farmed four years, then to Kearney, Neb. He was married in Jefferson County, Iowa, October 7, 1880, to Miss Etta Wolfe. They have one son--Ernest. Mr. Clapp is a member of Sedgwick Post, No. 1, G. A. R., also a member of I. O. O. F., Buffalo Lodge, No. 38; also of the Encampment of the same order.
A. B. CLARKE, dealer in real estate, and agent for the B. & M. R. R. lands. The lands are located in Sherman, Valley, Buffalo, Greeley and Howard Counties; also Kearney, Adams, Franklin and Webster Counties; comprising some of the best lands in Nebraska, including 300,000 acres. Mr. Clarke located in Kearney in 1874, and engaged in the drug business three years, since which time he has been engaged in his present business. He was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., July 4, 1840. He formerly followed the drug business fifteen years previous to moving to Nebraska in Rushville, Ill. He enlisted in 1861, in the Seventh Missouri Cavalry, and served two years, and was Orderly Sergeant. Participated in the battle of Lawrence, Kan., and was there taken prisoner; was soon paroled. He re-enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry in 1864, and participated in battle of Memphis, Tenn., and was mustered out in Springfield, Ill., in fall of 1864. He was married in Rushville, Ill., June, 1866, to Sarah L. Parrott, daughter of Josiah Parrott, Sr., of the latter city. Mr. Clarke is a member of the Masonic fraternity of Rushville, Ill.
DR. GEORGE W. COLLINS, physician and surgeon, and Superintendent of State Reform School, two and a half miles west of Kearney, Neb,. The Doctor located in Pawnee City, Neb., in April, 1865, engaged in the practice of law. Was elected to the House Representatives of State Legislature in 1870, he being the Speaker of the House. He practiced law and medicine in Pawnee City until June, 1881. During his life in the latter place, he served as Superintendent of Public Schools one term. He was born in Grundy County, Ill., June 26, 1834. He first began the study of medicine at the age of fifteen; entered the Hahnemann College of Chicago, Ill., remaining during three courses of lectures. He entered the Lombard University of Galesburg, Ill., attending that institution four years; then attended the Chicago Law University three terms, afterward entered the law office of W. W. Stevens, Joliet, Ill., and remained about three years. Was admitted to the bar before Josiah McRoberts some time afterward; then to Pawnee City. He was married in Grundy County, Ill., to Miss Mary J. Randall, of Morris, the latter county. They have five children--Edward L., Hattie V., Kate A., Maggie L., and Walter A. The Doctor is a member of Mount Hebron Commandery; of Kearney, Neb., A., F. & A. M.
F. N. COLWELL, attorney at law, collection and insurance agent, located in Kearney, Neb., 1872, on a homestead, and farmed until March, 1880, when he moved into the city. He was born in Republic, Seneca Co., Ohio, July 28, 1839; was raised in that town; enlisted in April, 1861, in Company A, Eighth Regiment Ohio Volunteers. Participated in the battles of Romney, Winchester, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Antietam, and Gettysburg, Wilderness, etc. Was mustered out at Cleveland, Ohio, in July, 1864, returned to his home, but soon engaged in the Quartermaster's Department of the Second Army Corps four months, then went to Taylor County, W., Va., and was appointed Deputy Sheriff of the latter company. Read law, and was admitted to the bar of District Court. In the fall of 1865, removed to his native place and practiced law a year, then emigrated to Des Moines, Iowa, and practiced law two years; moved to Osceola, Iowa, in 1867, and practiced until he moved to Kearney, Neb., in the fall of 1872. He was married in Taylor County, W. Va., in December, 1862, to Miss Mary E. Shields, of Pruntytown, W. Va. They have nine children--Sarah M., born April, 1865; H. Spencer, born in 1867; C. Inez, born in 1868; Nathem P., born in 1869; Albert D. born in November, 1870; Arthur B. born in 1873; Rice E. born in 1875, and Luther E. born in 1880; Paul Clifford, born in 1882. Mr. C. is a member of Sedgwick Post, No. 1, G. A. R., also I. O. O. F., Buffalo Lodge, No. 38, K of H. Lodge, No. 1335; also a member of Masonic order of Osceola Lodge of Iowa.
CASPER P. CORNELIUS first came to Omaha in April, 1877, and engaged in various occupations. Came to Kearney in July, 1877, and engaged in well drilling. He was born in Platteville, Wis., December 16, 1853; lived in his native place some time. He attended the Milwaukee (Wis.) Seminary three months; also the State Normal School in his native village. Followed lead mining, etc., until he came to Omaha, Neb. He was married in Kearney, Neb., in the spring of 1879, to Miss Elizabeth Clark, of Pennsylvania. They have one adopted daughter--Viola Olive.
GEORGE T. CRISSMAN, Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church. He was born in Milroy, Mifflin County, Penn., May 25, 1836. At the age of five years, removed with his father's family to Adams County, Southern Ohio. He entered the South Salem Academy, Ohio, at the age of twenty, and continued two years. During the latter part of this time he became Assistant Professor in the Academy. He then entered Miami University at Oxford, Ohio, as a student, and graduated in 1860 with the degree of A. B., and taking the scientific honor of the college. In September of the same year he entered the Western Theological Seminary of Allegheny City, Penn., in which he received a thorough theological training. In the spring of 1862 he was licensed to preach the Gospel by the Presbytery of Chillicothe, Ohio. For one year he was engaged in doing a missionary work in Southern Ohio, supplying in part his old home church of Eckmansville, Ohio. In the summer of 1863, he was called to take charge of the Presbyterian Church of Morrison, Ill, and was ordained to the full work of the Gospel ministry by the Presbytery of Rock River. For fifteen years in succession he continued a successful pastorate in Morrison until the failure of his wife's health necessitated a change of climate. A pilgrimage then of eighteen months was spent in Colorado to recruit his wife's health. He then went to Kearney, Neb., and took charge of the First Presbyterian Church of that city in October, 1879. Since this time he has been the means of erecting a fine, large brick church building costing $5,500. The church contains a membership of over eighty, and is every way in a prosperous condition. Mr. Crissman was married in Portage City, Wis.. August 31, 1865, to Miss Augusta E. Osborne, a very estimable lady of the latter city. Mrs. Crissman was born in Hadley, Mass., February 28, 1840. They have two daughters, Mary A., born April 18, l867, and Bessie B., born March 25, 1872.
G. HENRY CUTTING, salesman in G. Kramer's large store. Mr. C. located in Kearney, Neb., in May, 1874, and took a land claim, and opened up one of the finest farms in the county, and followed farming up to 1876. He then engaged with Mr. R. R. Greer for three years as clerk, after which he was Department Postmaster eighteen months, then into the present place. He was born near Madison, Wis., September 1, 1851; entered Milton College in 1867, where he remained up to 1873, after which he took Greeley's advice, and went West. He was married in Milton, Wis., December 22, 1875, to Miss Mary E. Anderson. They have three children--Clarence H., Walter J. and Mary Edith. Mr. C. is a member of the I. O. O. F., and has been Representative to the Grand Lodge several times. He is also a member of K. of H., No. 1335, and was a member of the City Council two years.
EDWARD M. CUNNINGHAM, attorney at law, also fire insurance, collecting and loan agent, located in Kearney, Neb., in August, 1873, and edited the Kearney Times four years. Followed farming two years; was admitted to the bar, District Court in Buffalo County, in May, 1879, since which he has practiced his profession. Was City Clerk from April, 1879, to April, 1881. Was born near Pulaski, Tenn., September 13, 1847. Was raised on a farm. He moved with his parents to Davis County, Iowa, at the age of five years. He graduated from the Wesleyan University in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, in June, 1872, then went to East Tennessee, and taught school one year, returned, and soon emigrated to Kearney, Neb. Was married in Lexington, McLean County, Ill., November 27, 1879, to Miss Maggie E. Stevenson of the latter place. They have one son--William S. Mr. C. is a member of Buffalo Lodge, No. 38, I. O. of O. F.
R. L. DOWNING, dealer in lumber, grain, agricultural implements, etc. He first located in Lincoln, Neb., in 1870, and farmed two years, then moved into the city, and engaged in the hardware business about six months, after which he moved his goods and business to Lowell, and remained in the same five years, after which he went to Kearney, Neb., and engaged in his present business. He was born in Bristol, Madison County, Vt., in June, 1844. Was a tinner by trade. He worked at the same three years in Lawrence, Kan., then went to Juneau and Waupun, Wis., and engaged in farming until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Lowell, Neb., in 1875, to Miss Nannie McComb, of Madison, Wis. They have two children--Loy A. and Nellie J. Mr. D. is a member of the Masonic order of Kearney.
R. H. EATON, United States Postal Clerk on the Union Pacific Railroad. Receiving his appointment in July, 1879, he located in Kearney, Neb., in 1873. His brother--W. Eaton--and himself published the Weekly Central Nebraska Press and the Daily Kearney Press, which they continued until February, 1879. He then engaged in farming, now owning a farm on the Old Fort Kearney Reservation, consisting of 160 acres, all improved. He was born in Rochester, N. Y., December 8, 1838; his father was a farmer. The subject of this sketch went to Rochester, N. Y., and began the printer's trade at seventeen years of age, and continued the same about six years. He enlisted in Company Six, New York Sharpshooters, and participated in the battles of Gettysburg, Mine Run, all the battles of the Wilderness, and Petersburg, June 18, where he had his left leg broken below the knee by a minie ball; he was sent to Alexandria Hospital, and was discharged at Rochester, N. Y. in the summer of 1865. He afterward edited the Fremont Times in Hamburg, Iowa, in company with his brother before mentioned, and continued four years, then published the Shelby County Record until 1871; he then returned to New York City, and was employed on the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, until 1873, as compositor and proof reader. He was married in the latter city in 1865, to Miss Matilda M. Aiton, of that city. They have one son--Joel--and Thera (now deceased). His wife died in 1870; he was again married in 1872, in Rochester, to Miss Jane McMillan. They have three children--Mary M., George M. and Byron W. He is a member of Sedgwick Post, No. 1, G. A. R., and of the Masonic order of Avoca, Iowa.
GEORGE E. FORD- of the firm of C. R. Ford. He was born in Peoria City, Ill., August 16, 1850: was educated at Clark Seminary, Aurora, Ill., and completed his education at Illinois Soldiers Military Academy, at Fulton, Ill., in 1869. From there he took a position as sorter in a lumber yard in Chicago, Ill., obtaining as a reward for his services the position of delivery clerk, where he remained until the spring of 1871; he then took charge of the lumber yard of F. W. Smith, at De Kalb Center, Ill., a Director of the Northwestern Lumbermen's Association, where he continued until the spring of 1872, and then took a position as Postal Clerk on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway, which he held until the fall of 1874, he took the first mail car into Northern Texas over above line, and left the postal service on account of sickness. He then went to Amboy City, Ill., and took charge of the lumber yard of R. Marigold, and continued until the winter of 1874; then went to Rock Falls, Ill.; from there to Nebraska, landing in the town of Hastings, which was then a young and prosperous city. On the 22d day of February, 1875, he started for Kearney to look up a business location, which resulted in his buying one-half of an interest with O. Oliver. After going through the siege with the grasshoppers and drought, he had all he desired of running business to make money in a new country with so many reverses, and he and his partner sold out to Mr. F.'s father, where he has been up to date going through the ups and downs which belong to a new country with so many reverses, and he and his partner sold out to Mr. F.'s father, where he has been up to date going through the ups and downs which belong to a new country. He was married at Grand Island, Neb., December 25, 1877, to Miss Mary E. Van Pelt and has a daughter--Mabel Emma Ford--and is now going to stick to Nebraska, as he is of the opinion, as Col. Sellers has said, "there's millions in it."
[RESIDENCE OF ALPHONSO GATES.]
ALPHONSO GATES, farmer and stock-raiser, came to Nebraska in May, 1880, and purchased a fine farm one and a half miles southeast of Kearney, consisting of 160 acres, all improved, and being one of the finest locations in Buffalo County. He was born in Boston, Mass., October 16, 1846; he went to sea at the age of fourteen, making a bargain for $6 per month; he was promoted to the various positions, including master of the vessel, taking charge at the age of eighteen; he remained captain of the same vessel five years, following the sea nine years altogether. He then remained in Boston about six years, when he went to Rock Island, where he lived until he went to Kearney, Neb. He was married in the latter city September 2, 1874, to Miss Ellen O. Weatherhead, of the same place; they have one daughter, named Ona Jane, who was born in January, 1876.
FRANK L. GIBBS, Assistant Cashier of the Buffalo County Bank, was born in Troy, Ohio, July 1, 1853. At a suitable age, he clerked in a dry goods store in Elmore, Ohio, and, in the fall of 1872, went to Le Mars, Iowa, where he engaged in a similar business. He served in the Recorder's office one and a half years, followed railroading a short time; he then located in Kearney, Neb., in the spring of 1877; clerked in Moore's Bank two and a half years; then obtained his present position. He was married in Kearney, Neb., in December, 1875, to Miss Emma A. Brigham, of Warsaw, N. Y. they have a daughter and a son--Suie B. and Henry Leon. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity of Kearney, Neb.; also a member of the Congregational Church of Kearney. Was elected City Treasurer in 1881.
JAMES E. GILLESPIE, attorney at law and dramatic author, located in Kearney in 1878, and took charge of the public school a year; was then elected Justice of the Peace, and engaged in the practice of law. He took a homestead and timber claim, consisting of 320 acres of land. He was born in Danville, Ky., August 25, 1842; he lived in his native State until eighteen years of age; entered the Central College of the latter city at the age of fourteen, and attended three years. He enlisted in Company I, First Kentucky Cavalry, and participated in the battles of Wildcat, Prestonburg, Perryville, Lebanon, Knoxville and Sweetwater; was wounded and captured in the latter, and confined in the rebel prisons at Belle Isle, Andersonville, and Macon, Ga.; escaped several times, and was placed in solitary confinement, but finally escaped into the Union lines, and was mustered out at Camp Nelson, Ky., in January, 1864. He then engaged in teaching until he came to Nebraska In 1877. He was the editor of the Madisonville Republican, of the latter place, Kentucky. He was admitted to the bar in the District Courts, in Kearney, Neb., in 1880. His dramatic writings have received many commendations from the press.
W. H. GLENN, Police Judge of Kearney, and City Weigh Master, located in the above place February 28, 1876. He engaged in the feed, stable and restaurant business, and continued through the greater part of 1876. He was elected Police Judge in the spring of 1881, and, by re-elections, has since held the office. He was born in Schuyler County, now Brown County, Ill., July 21, 1835; was raised on a farm. He engaged in teaching at the age of sixteen, and continued the latter occupation until 1874. He then engaged in the grocery business two years, in Ripley, Brown Co.; Ill., sold out, and came directly to Kearney, Neb. He was married in Brown County, Ill., December 20, 1865, to Miss Mary J. Anderson, of the same place. They have seven children--Nettie, Emma, Minnie, Willis, Maggie, Albert (Ellis deceased), and Elmer.
W. H. GOODRICH, dealer in a general stock of boots and shoes, under the firm of Goodrich Bros., and known as the Boston Boot and Shoe Store. They carry a stock of $5,000 to supply their increasing trade. They opened the business in Kearney September l, 1881, and employ two men. He located in Lincoln, Neb., in June, 1880, and opened the boot and shoe business in company with a brother, who still carries on business in the latter city. He was born in Lorain County, Ohio, March 21, 1859; was brought up a tanner, and followed the same a number of years. He moved with his parents to Marshalltown, Iowa, in 1866, and there engaged in the drug business four years; then to Washington, Iowa, in the boot and shoe trade, and continued until they came to Lincoln, Neb., moving their stock with them. He was married in June, 1880, to Miss Edith C. Rollins, of Marshalltown, Iowa.